Official Spore discussion

Lord Ursus

Spore, being released in 2008, became a huge success, and in 2009 it became the # 1 game of the year.

In Spore, you create an organism, and follow it through evolution in five phases: the cell phase, the creature phase, the tribal phase, the civilization phase and the space phase. You will decide the fate of the galaxy by exploring, bargain with, and destroy other races, while expanding your own empire.

Spore's sporepedia now has 100 000 000+ creatures, and is constantly growing.

Now, what do you think?

Spore is epic' date=' new expansion's due out soon I belive.

I've really enjoyed the oppertunity to play god it's given me.[/quote']

Yes, I'm looking forward to that. In it, you can warp yourself down to a planet and walk around, bringing ground troops with you. That will be totally awesome!

I got it for Christmas' date=' so it's been out since '08. But still, epic game.[/quote']

Yes, you're right, now that I think of it. That, and there is aproximately 100 000 000 creatures now.

Spore failed to live up to the reputation that it gained through its pre-released creator. The Creator was awsome, but Spore as a game is mediocre at best.

I find the first 2 stages, the Cell and Creature stages amusing, yet too short, and the game dissolves from there. It suddenly changes to a management type of game for the next two stages, until finally it attempts to combine all its aspects into one stage. The Space stage is so unbelievably awful that it makes me want to cry. It is easily twice the size of the last 4 stages combined and yet your stuck doing almost everything on your own. Your ship constantly needs repair for which your own people charge you, yet they require assistance for everything. Owning more than about 12 planets becomes a nightmare, as a combination of persistant ecological disasters, pirate attacks, and enemy invasions force your constant attention. Your other option is to align yourself with other small empires which poses similar problems, needing constant interaction lest they revert to neutral or possibly enemy status. And yet you are still expected to travel across the galaxy against a foe who easily controls half of the entire stage and is literally impossible to ally with, and whose technology equals yours at even the highest level, just so you can complete a poorly defined objective with no real reward, and which still does not bring you a victory or completion. And to top it off, an expansion is being released, not to rectify the current issues with the rediculous space stage, but to make it even more complex. That's why I personally only use the game for the creators now.

Spore failed to live up to the reputation that it gained through its pre-released creator. The Creator was awsome' date=' but Spore as a game is mediocre at best.

I find the first 2 stages, the Cell and Creature stages amusing, yet too short, and the game dissolves from there. It suddenly changes to a management type of game for the next two stages, until finally it attempts to combine all its aspects into one stage. The Space stage is so unbelievably awful that it makes me want to cry. It is easily twice the size of the last 4 stages combined and yet your stuck doing almost everything on your own. Your ship constantly needs repair for which your own people charge you, yet they require assistance for everything. Owning more than about 12 planets becomes a nightmare, as a combination of persistant ecological disasters, pirate attacks, and enemy invasions force your constant attention. Your other option is to align yourself with other small empires which poses similar problems, needing constant interaction lest they revert to neutral or possibly enemy status. And yet you are still expected to travel across the galaxy against a foe who easily controls half of the entire stage and is literally impossible to ally with, and whose technology equals yours at even the highest level, just so you can complete a poorly defined objective with no real reward, and which still does not bring you a victory or completion. And to top it off, an expansion is being released, not to rectify the current issues with the rediculous space stage, but to make it even more complex. That's why I personally only use the game for the creators now.

[/quote']

I agree with that. The space stage is too crazy to do with only one person. The creature stage however was proably my favorite, except for the fact, as stated above, it was too short. After I was able to exvolve I kept playing for the heck of it, and all the Epic creatures kept killing me. It was basically a

big middle finger in my face from the game saying, "No, you can't keep having fun in this stage anymore."

I may or may not buy the upcoming expansion pack, but waht does interest me is the upcoming Spore Heros for Wii. It is basically the creature stage extended to an immense length. You take on quests and such and still get use of the creature creator. I think that will probably be better than its predecesors.

Archived