Hey look, Hunter has changed my title to something less misleading. But still kind of misleading.

OMGAKITTY

...but that's not up for discussion.

Imagine there is a puppy on the street. Its crippled, defenseless, and alone. It can manage to drag itself to nearby trashpiles and eat scraps of food to avoid starving.

[spoiler=Scenario 1]

A man walks by this dog. The next day, and every following day after that, he comes back and loudly laments the fact that he cannot take the puppy home with him, and feeds the puppy food. He then sits there and pets and plays with the puppy for an hour, and leaves.

[spoiler=Scenario 2]

A man walks down the street and sees the dog. He also cannot afford to take the puppy in. Realizing that its life will probably be nothing but suffering, the man walks over and quickly and painlessly snaps the puppy's neck.

[spoiler=Additional Information]

-In scenario 1, the man showers the puppy with attention to make himself look good in front of others. On rainy days, or days where there are no people, the man will simply walk by the dog.

-In scenario 2, the man does not know for sure that the puppy will live a horrible life of suffering, he merely believes that, and acts to what he believes is the greater mercy.

-In both cases, we assume that there is not an animal shelter that can take the puppy, nor any friends or family that could either.

So which one did the correct thing? The man in scenario 1 who uses the puppy only for his own selfish means? Or the man in scenario 2 who judges that the puppy will have a bad life, but acts out of mercy?

Scenario 2 is better' date=' because he ended the puppy's pain quickly so it won't live a live of missery

[/quote']

But did he? He judged the puppy's life to not be worth living. Its entirely possible someone else could have walked by and adopted it.

Mabey, but at least it wasn't killed by a n00b that didn't read the rules...

Scenario 1 is better.

I'd never do scenario 2' date=' and if I saw someone doing that. I'd snap their neck myself.

[/quote']

And yet, the dog really might end up living a miserable life of barely surviving off of garbage, sleeping in the rain, and eventually freezing and dying alone in the snow. Then would it not be a mercy to end its life painlessly first?

Guest JoshIcy

Scenario 1 is better.

I'd never do scenario 2' date=' and if I saw someone doing that. I'd snap their neck myself.

[/quote']

And yet, the dog really might end up living a miserable life of barely surviving off of garbage, sleeping in the rain, and eventually freezing and dying alone in the snow. Then would it not be a mercy to end its life painlessly first?

Better give it a chance than to kill it before it can be given that chance.

Guest JoshIcy

Scenario 1: With enough love and affection' date=' anyone can overcome the most gruelings situations.

[/quote']

Even if its false love and affection?

Better than none at all.

2 hurts the puppy yet 1 hurts no one. I go with 1

If you snap the neck' date=' it's an instant death. The dog wouldn't feel the pain.

[/quote']

You would though. You will have the pain that the dog had and it will carry on with you for the rest of your life.

So you wouldn't kill the puppy out of pure selfishness.

Well' date=' both Scenarios are kinda stupid.

The least the dude could do is call a freakin' vet and have them come pick it up and take care of it. It'd most likely have a chance.

[/quote']

-In both cases' date=' we assume that there is not an animal shelter that can take the puppy, nor any friends or family that could either.

[/quote']

Thanks for playing.

I wouldn't do the 2nd one, but I'd prefer the 2nd scenario to happen.

Its a dog. I mean, tbh, I wouldn't want it messing up the garbage and just chasing cars on the street, then to be ran over by one.

If it was a human, I'd do the 2nd scenario too, specially if there was no one to take care of him.

Archived