The YCM Card Reviews

Yankee

Hello all, and welcome to the reviews.

I have noticed a sharp decline in the amount of truly great cards being posted in Realist Cards recently, while other good cards are ignored and do not get the recognition they deserve. I thought it would be nice to give the good card makers some credit, and have their card(s) be reviewed.

Now I'm not doing this alone. I have the help of a great card rater in his own right, Skyson. This will only increase your chances of having your card being noticed!

[spoiler=Skyson Review]

[spoiler=Heath, the Ranger by Hunter]

lolx.gif

43114l.jpg

If you control a face-up Spellcaster-Type monster, this card is also treated as Spellcaster-Type. When this card is Normal Summoned without a Tribute, you can draw 2 cards. Once per turn, you can discard 2 cards. If you do, This card can attack 1 other monster your opponent controls during your Battle Phase. During your Draw Phase, instead of drawing, you can look at up to 3 cards from your opponent's hand. If any of them are Trap Cards, send them to the Graveyard.Let's do an effect breakdown, since hardly any of these effects relate to each other!

If you control a face-up Spellcaster-Type monster, this card is also treated as Spellcaster-Type.

...Alright. Assuming that this includes the hand, OH YEAH I CAN USE THIS WITH MAGICAL DIMENSION! SWEET! JUST WHAT I WANTED, A WARRIOR THAT SUDDENLY BECOMES COMPATIBLE WITH MY SPELLCASTER DECK! =DDDD

Assuming that this doesn't include the hand, and only applies to the field.... oh boy? I don't know of any cards that really care about Warriors who decide to synergize with Spellcasters. I mean, sure, the idea fits the image, but there's really no direction about it.

Really unnecessary effect, and there's no other effect on this card that gives this a purpose.

When this card is Normal Summoned without a Tribute, you can draw 2 cards.

There are very few cards that come to mind with this. Cost Down is the first one, and that requires a discard. So, you lose 2 cards (3 counting the summon of this card, but he counts on the field as gained advantage) then draw 2. A break even.

Another card coming to mind is Level Conversion Lab. Rolling a 2~4 and Normal Summoning him from your hand without a Tribute to let you draw 2 cards off of 1. It's advantage, and as much as I love running random tech cards to get cool combos going, I wouldn't do it just for this.

Next thought is Mausoleum of the Emperor. 1000 Life Points to Summon him and draw 2 cards. There are offhand decks out there that run Mausoleum, like our good friend Light & Darkness Dragon. This is a decent engine for that Deck, since we're running off a Field Spell Card and will often be holding a lot of double-Tributes to summon off with Mausoleum.

This effect isn't bad, but there's just few options to really pull it off with.

Once per turn, you can discard 1 card. If you do, This card can attack 1 other monster your opponent controls during your Battle Phase.

Isn't there a similar mechanic in Yu-Gi-Oh called "attacking twice?" Discarding a card to possibly destroy another monster. Discarding a card from your hand, in most cases, should be rewarded with a near-guaranteed destruction. Go talk to Tribute to the Doomed, Cyber Gymnast, Dark Core, Snipe Hunter (to an extent), and Raigeki Break. Getting to hit two monsters is an okay effect, but I think you could've saved yourself a lot of unnecessary wording by just saying "You can discard 1 card from your hand during your turn. If you do, this card can attack twice during this Battle Phase." I dunno, maybe there's a motive. Doubtful, though.

During your Draw Phase, instead of drawing, you can look at up to 3 cards from your opponent's hand. If any of them are Trap Cards, send them to the Graveyard.

Okay, the only good effect this card has. I like this one a lot, so much so that I think a single card could have just this effect and it would be great. I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be the good effect that offsets all the other wacky, random effects. Though most people (in this format) won't be holding Trap Cards in their hand, the ability to see 3 cards your opponent is holding during your turn gives you a great way to prepare for something an opponent might be setting you up for. This is a really nifty effect.

Overall, this card is... things. It's fine being a Level 5, anyone who said otherwise is wrong. Who the **** cares if it's level 5 or 6, it makes no impact on what the effect does. This isn't a Monarch, and it's ATK/DEF score reflect a 1-tribute monster, no matter which level it is. Something as minor as that doesn't make a bit of difference.

I really find this card underpowered, until the last effect. The last effect makes it really nice for seeing into the opponent's plans. All the rest of the effects just seem like you said "well, a card that could do this would be nice" and mashed them together. Seriously, I've seen much better. Picking one of these effects and creating other effects that flow with that idea would make a much better card than "Cost Down + Rivalry of Warlords + Mind Haxorz + Tyrant Dragon."

So, I guess I'd run this in a Mausoleum Deck. To each their own.

I dislike mash-ups of effects placed onto 1 card without any relation. The last effect is the only thing that interested me enough to knock it over 5/10.

So, overall, 6/10.

[spoiler=Yankeefan Review]

[spoiler=Prince of the Skulls by Rose]

2e16hqh.png

This card can not be Normal Summoned or Set. This card can only be Special Summoned from your Graveyard. This card can not be destroyed as a result of battle. This card gains 100 ATK for every card in your Graveyard. As long as this card is face-up on your side of the field all cards your opponents controls are treated as Spirit-type monsters. The monsters that are affected by this cards effect have their effect changed to "This card returns to the owner's hand during the End Phase of the turn that this card is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up."

Well, lets just say this first. It was not exactly hard to pick this card to review. There sadly is not a ton of great card makers out there right now.

However, that does not mean that this card is without flaws. Instead of just doing this like a post, lets have some fun, and review it!

The first thing you will notice, or, that most people will notice is the name of the card, "The Price of the Skulls". The reason it's noticeable is because the name has a holo effect to it, of course, adding a slight edge to the card. The name itself brings a slight hint of intimidation. Royalty in a card game usually means trouble for the opponent.

Below the name, of course, is the picture. It too has a holo effect too it. Sadly, this very same holo has been done to too many cards too often. The pic itself is actually pretty good, it just does not show a "Prince" to me, but I suppose you can argue that a prince doesn't always look royal.

The name and the pic automatically make you assume this is going to be a Zombie or a Fiend. The two don't lie. This is a Zombie, however, this Zombie has a very different effect than your typical undead brain-eating monster.

The effect starts off simple enough. Just like your real royalty, you cannot just simply bring him out like the rest of your pawns. No. In true zombie fashion, he must come from the grave. Not just any grave, but your grave. Some leaders have to die for their country I guess...

If that wasn't enough to support the zombie idea, it adds on to it by saying that it can't even be destroyed as a result of battle!

Now, the OCG in today's game is different than the old days. Before, the ocg there would have been fine. Now, it would be changed to "This card cannot be destroyed by battle"

Continuing the effect, like a general that fell with his troops in battle, when he comes back to life, he not only will have a major head ache, but he'll also be a little PO'ed. This prince here increases his low 1000 ATK by 100 for every single card in your graveyard. Got a spell? Trash it! Got a trap? Trash it! Got a monster? Nobody loved him anyway, trash him! All in the name of the royal family I guess. It is only 100 attack for each card, but considering it's EVERY card, any more attack would be evil.

Sadly, the ocg there is not right there either...

The correct way to say it, because "gains" when dealing with stats is a no-no, is "Increase the ATK of this card by 100 for every card in your Graveyard".

The next sentence totally changes the way this effect is going, and sadly, says it wrong.

Somehow, this Zombie Prince has the ability to change anything to a Spirit monster. And when I say anything, I mean anything. From what the effect says, all cards your opponent controls are treated as spirit monster. It's always fun when something like a Wall of revealing Light turns into a spirit monster =D

I have no idea if that was the intention, however, I would like to think that it was not.

The correct ocg in that case would be:

"As long as you control this face-up card, all monsters your opponent controls are treated as Spirit-Type"

The last sentence is basically a closer sentence to the above effect, finishing the transition to spirit monsters, just saying that they go back to the hand after their summoned.

The correct ocg, again, is:

"Monsters affected by this effect gain the effect: 'This card returns to the owner's hand during the End Phase of the turn that this card is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up'."

While the idea of the spirit effect is good, I don't see where and how it ties into the first part of the effect. Kind of weird to me...

The card is pretty good, I like how there is some originality still alive on ycm, good to see. However, it has its flaws.

Name: 7/10 Rather interesting

Pic: 7/10 Pretty good, but would much rather like a different holo

Effect: 6/10 It has some originality to it, but it's really two effects mashed up in one card.

Balance: 7/10 100 atk for every card in your grave can tun into something, but it's not bad.

Grammar/OCG: 6/10 Some errors, but I can't really fault you for using what was correct before, so that saved you some.

Overall: 6.6/10

Grade: D+

Not bad, some of the ocg hurt you, but the effect was the main killer. Try to make an effect that flows well with itself if you can.

Now, I thought it would be nice to invite some new member to voice his opinions on cards as well. If you have 500 posts or less, and wish to join the reviews, please pm me with this filled out form:

Username:

Best Card:

Reason you want to join:

Cheers,

Yankeefan

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could anyone review this card:

[align=center]

Angel of Death

273350h.jpg

-Card Effect-

You can Special Summon this card from your hand when a monster you control is destroyed during your Battle Phase. If this card inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent, inflict 200 damage to your opponent for each Zombie-Type monster in either players Graveyard.[/align]

192047e.jpg

Effect:

This card can not be Normal Summoned or Set. This card can only be Special Summoned when you have 5 Spell Cards in your hand. When your opponent Summons a monster, your opponent must first pay 500 Life Points. When you activate a Spell card, increase the Attack of this card by 300. This card can not be selected as an Attack target. When you have 15 or more cards in your Graveyard, destroy this card, and inflict 2000 Life Points to your opponent.

Hopefully it's good.

PM Skyson or I all submissions for reviews...

Nice. Two of the best card reviewers around.

Quick question: How will you be selecting cards? Application? Recommendation? Or are you just going to browse around for worthwhile stuff?

We will mostly be looking around' date=' but we will also take pm's and suggestions of cards to look at.

lolofficial

and it had to be my card. t.t

Why yes Hunter, it had to be your card XD

As far as I can see it' date=' this place is where awesome cards seen on in this section will be reviewed, so newbies can see what makes them so good, sne pales

[/quote']

Basicly, but it's also meant to give good card makers some much needed attention. Who knows? Maybe it'll give some newer members a boost *hint* ;)

Nice. Two of the best card reviewers around.

Quick question: How will you be selecting cards? Application? Recommendation? Or are you just going to browse around for worthwhile stuff?

I guess we're taking stuff by PM? Cool.

lolofficial

and it had to be my card. t.t

It really didn't. I had something else in mind' date=' but Yankeefan liked that review better. xD

Could anyone review this card:

I was actually going to review that in the thread last night, but got tired and fell asleep before I got around to it. <_<

As far as I can see it' date=' this place is where awesome cards seen on in this section will be reviewed, so newbies can see what makes them so good, sne pales

[/quote']

YESZ.

This is an awesome idea. I would apply for ratings, but I'm afraid that I don't post as long of reviews (mine are more of rates) and I don't make it sound interesting, like it's in a news paper. They are just kind of......simple.

And no, I'm not going to beg for a review. I should write my ideas down, and I could do something epic like ths. Maybe.

Anyway, I hope this lasts long, and I hope I'll make good enough cards to get reviewed.

This is one very cool thread.

Could you review my cards?

333362otm.jpg

[spoiler=Lore]

If your opponent's monster attacks this face-down Defense Position card, this card becomes an Equip Card equipped to the attacking monster, without applying damage calculation. The equipped card cannot attack. As long as the equipped card remains on the field, once per turn, you can select 1 monster on your opponent's side of the field. The selected monster is destroyed after 3 turns. If the selected or equipped monster is tributed to Normal Summon or Special Summon another monster, the Summoned monster is also destroyed after 3 turns. If the equipped monster card is destroyed in battle or by the effect of one of your cards, this card is also destroyed. You lose Life Points equal to the ATK of the equipped monster. If this card is destroyed due to the effect of one of your opponent's cards, when it is equipped to a monster, your opponent loses Life Points equal to the ATK of the equipped monster. The equipped monster is also destroyed.

333362x.jpg

[spoiler= Lore]

This monster is also treated as a ZOMBIE-Type monster. This Monster cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This monster can only be Summoned by removing from play all cards in your Graveyard. The Graveyard is treated as a Monster Card Zone. This monster is Summoned in the Graveyard. Your opponent cannot declare an attack on this monster. As long as this card is in the Graveyard, you cannot Summon any monsters to the field. All monsters on your side of the field cannot be destroyed in battle. Damage calculation is applied normally. All your cards that are discarded are removed from play. This card can only be destroyed by removing it from play from the Graveyard. Pay 200 Life Points during each of your Standby Phases. If you do not, remove this card from play. When this card is removed from play, all other cards that were removed from play are sent to the Graveyard.

333362b.jpg

[spoiler= Lore]

When this monster destroys 1 of your opponent's monsters, your opponent cannot Summon another monster in that Monster Card Zone as long as this card is face-up on the field. When your opponent cannot Summon any monsters in 4 Monster Card Zones, inflict 500 Life Points of damage to your opponent's Life Points for each monster on your side of the field. This monster is then sent to the Graveyard. If this monster is destroyed in battle, your opponent gains 500 Life Points.

Could someone rate my bestest card? Please? I really wanted to get rated by a Mod.

[align=center]

createcard5php.png

~Lore~

You can Special Summon this card from your hand by discarding 2 Equip Spell Cards that equip 1 Warrior-Type monster. If this card is Special Summoned that way, you must remove from play this card instead to the Graveyard if this card is destroyed. Once per turn, you can add 1 "Enraged Counter" on this card(max. 3). This card gains ATK by 200 for each counter placed on it. By destroying 3 "Enraged Counters" that are placed on this card, you can destroy 1 Fiend-Type monster on the field that destroys a Warrior-Type monster by battle.[/align]

Kay so if im getting this straight this is a place were you guys find good cards and post them on here for you and others to review, So basicly if its on here it should be a awsome card(or awsome cards). This isnt a place were any random newb puts there cards in the hope you review them, Right?

Archived