Yu-Gi-Oh! DA, Book One; The Phantom Seal. TEMPORARY HIATUS

legendhiro

What do you think of this fanfic?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of this fanfic?

• I have not read your last fanfic, and I won't read this one. It sucks.
    • I have not read your last fanfic, but this one seems awesome!
    • I have read your last fanfic, and this one doesn't live up.
    • I have read your last fanfic, and this one is just as good. Love it!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and, like i promised, here's a new chapter. this one even advances the plot and everything!

[spoiler=Chapter Twelve]

The Poltergeist

Classes were coming to a close. It was only two days before the end of the first year. Karen was excited. Her last class of the day was Card Design Basics, where she was supposed to get the results of her final project back. She kept telling me that after she got her results she'd have something to show me, but I didn't have any clue what it was. Mostly because Karen wouldn't so much as give me a clue as to what it was. But she was excited, so I was excited, and Thomas and Ria, our only friends on the island, were excited too. They had both scored high enough on their finals to be accepted into High Dorm. They were slated to move in today and stay until the summer break began, and they would automatically be invited back into High Dorm next year.

I sat through my classes, but the learning phase had passed. We basically just sat back and hung out. Thomas droned on and on all throughout the day, talking about upgrading his deck, how awesome his move up to High Dorm was going to be, how Ria was kinda cute, but also crazy, how great it was to be moving up to High Dorm, how hungry he was, what he was hungry for, how hungry he was, how excited he was to be moving up to High Dorm, and why the color red was better than the color red-orange. Along with other far less important things.

Like I said once before, good kid, but way chatty.

I didn't really listen to him. Not completely anyway, not at first. I was busy thinking about what might have Karen so worked up. Then came lunch and I had to worry about keeping Ria from clinging to me while still finding the time to eat. Not for the first time, when Karen got fed up and tried to rip Ria's throat out, I almost didn't stop her.

Ria. When she wasn't acting like a prissy fangirl she was actually pretty cool. But she seemed to prefer her little act. I didn't know why she acted the way she did, and I never asked. It was none of my business.

Finally we got back to class. Thomas immediately started going again, and again I didn't really listen to him. Not until he mentioned something about a poltergeist.

"A what?" I asked.

"A poltergeist," he answered. "A malevolent spirit. Apparently there's one living in High Dorm, but I don't believe it. I mean, if seven people had really been taken by a poltergeist, I'm sure someone would have said something by now, you know?"

I smiled reassuringly, "Yeah, no way no one from the school staff wouldn't say something." But of course I'm paranoid, so I wasn't really sure. Not one hundred percent anyway. But as far as I knew, if ever there was something evil about, my Soul knew about it, and its power hadn't alerted me to anything. So I put Thomas' statement out of mind. He was already off on a new tangent anyway. He was talking about how he conflicted about how to improve his deck.

"Part of me wants to add more monsters that can be Special Summoned," he said, "so I can tribute more often for 'Ignis'' effect. But at the same time, I could accomplish the same thing by keeping my monsters the same and just increasing the number of burn cards."

"Well," I replied, "if you add too many monster cards that can be Special Summoned, then you risk using up your entire hand early on, and you won't have any Traps to set or Spells to play. But the same goes for the other option. If you add more Spells and Traps, then you risk not drawing enough monsters. If it were me, I'd try to find a cheat way to summon Token Monsters to use as tribute for your monster effect."

Thomas seemed to take my advice to heart. He paused to consider it-

-for about half a second, before he started again on something else. This time around I listened even less than usual. I was still worrying about what he'd said earlier. About the poltergeist. Or at least I was until our final class of the day let out early, and I forgot all about it.

Thomas and I walked to the lobby where we ran into Ria (of course).

"Johnny!" she called, running up to me and throwing her arms around me. I rolled my eyes and very delicately peeled her off of me.

"So, Ria, you got out early too?" I asked, trying desperately to distract her.

"Yeah," she said. "Every Dueling student did."

"Not Card Design Students?"

"Nope," said Ria, leaning close to me, "just us."

I took a step back.

"I'm gonna go, guys," Thomas announced. "I'm gonna set up my new room and get settled in."

"Ooh," said Ria, "me too! Johnny, you should come with me. We can test out the bed."

"I'm with Karen," I said flatly.

"So?" Ria replied.

"And I'm not physically or romantically attracted to you at all whatsoever."

"So?"

"And I'm with Karen"

"So?"

I rolled my eyes again, "I'm just gonna hang back here and wait for Karen. You kids go ahead."

Ria shrugged, "Fine. Your loss."

She strutted away. Thomas followed. I walked slowly outside and sat against the stone slab depicting 'Kuriboh', and waited for Karen to get out of class. My class hadn't let out too early, so I didn't expect to wait long.

It was about twenty minutes before Karen walked out the front doors of the school, talking with a couple of her classmates. When she saw me waiting she smiled, excused herself from the conversation, and ran over to join me.

Thomas

Ria and I made our way together toward High Dorm in silence. I'd never come out and say it, but I had a huge crush on her. Normally I'd be coming on to her bit by bit, feeling things out, but she had a huge thing for John.

Plus she was really self-centered and, you know, crazy.

Anyway, we stepped inside the building, just in time to be nearly flattened by a mob of screaming students, all forcing their way through the double doors. I barely got out of the way.

"What the hell's goin' on here?" Ria asked. Even as she spoke an intense swirling wind picked up, pulling us toward the center of the lobby. That's when I saw it: a swirling, shadowy form. Even as I watched a High Dorm student was pulled into the shadowy vortex, his body torn apart, broken into wisps of shadow, and faded away.

"Oh my God," Ria screamed, "what the HELL is goin' on!!!"

"Oh s***, oh no," I screamed despite myself. Out of duels 'm not the bravest person you'll ever meet. "Oh crap, it's some kinda Shadow Magic!"

"Shadow what?! We gotta get outta here!"

You aren't going anywhere, said a voice that echoed in my head. I've nearly absorbed enough Duel Energy to emerge completely into your world. You are both very strong. The Duel Energy of either of you would be enough to complete my new form, and I plan to absorb you both. I will become unstoppable!

"What is that?" Ria demanded.

"Some kinda magic being," I answered.

Quiet vermin! the voice cried. Prepare to become part of a superior being. Prepare to be consumed!

"Hold on," said Ria, fear and confusion being replaced instantly with the stubborn anger that she was known for, "nobody consumes Ria Hernandez." As she spoke the sucking wind died down and a form began to emerge from the shadows. The lights were out, so their were plenty of them. The form was vaguely human-shaped, but incoherent and incomplete. A form that was still somehow formless. Instead of cringing back like a normal person Ria stepped closer to the form, placed her hands on her hips, and stood to face it. I thought she was being stupid, until I heard her say, "Thomas, run."

She was distracting it so that I could get away.

To the form, Ria said, "You can consume me if you can beat me estupido."

Very well, the form replied, and three spear-like tentacles shot from its vaguely defined torso. Ria moved like lightning. She avoided the first tentacle with ease, and the second with greater difficulty. The third struck a glancing blow and sent her sprawling into the wall beside the front doorway. Ria winced and looked up. When she saw me still standing there, she cried, "I told you to run!"

The shadow form lashed out again, this time at me, and I turned and ran out the door. The doors slammed closed just as I passed through them. The sky over the dorm has grown dark, the dark magic from the creature inside overflowing into the sky. I heard thunder rolling in the sky overhead. I turned back to the closed doors and tried with all of my strength to open them, but they were sealed. Ria was still inside, and there was nothing I could do to help her. It only made things worse when I heard Ria scream, and the shadows around the building began to deepen into a solid barrier. I barely got away from the building before I was trapped too.

John

"So," I asked Karen, "what's up? What's the big news?"

"Well," she began, but she was but off when our Souls began to glow in unison. I looked instinctively in the direction of what my Soul had felt, just in time to see dark clouds form in the sky above High Dorm. A wall of Shadows formed around the building, reaching above the treetops. I looked around. No one else had seen anything yet. We didn't have much time. Without another word, my Soul flashed and Karen and I vanished.

We reappeared outside High Dorm.

"John!"

"Thomas?" I asked. "What's going on?"

Thomas ran up to me, "John, Ria's still inside!"

"There's something weird inside there!" said a High Dorm student present with us in the clearing. He was with a large group of fellow students. "We all saw it," he said. "We barely made it out alive!"

This is bad, I realized. These guys can't remember this. It will ruin their lives.

So I broke my only rule involving use of my powers. I reached into their minds and I ripped away their memories of the day. They all passed out.

Thomas and Karen looked wide-eyed at the fallen students. "They'll be fine," I said, "but they won't remember anything that happened in there."

I looked Karen in the eyes, and we both knew what I had to do.

"Go," she said, "but take this with you." She handed me a card, explaining, "The student with the highest score on their final project got their project made into a card. I made it for you."

I looked at the card and smiled, placing it into my deck. Then I turned toward the building. My Soul flashed the the shadows parted, the doors behind them swinging open, and I stepped inside. I felt the shadows re-close behind me.

Next Chapter The Shadow

John duels the dark form for the life of his friend Ria and the lives of everyone absorbed by the beast. if he fails, the beast will become strong beyond measure and nothing will be able to stop it!

• 2 weeks later...

Good news for any of my random readers who were also random readers of Yu-Gi-Oh! DF (my first series)! One of the excruciatingly numerous factors preventing me from concentrating on this fic and my other current fic (aside from shiny objects and ADHD) is the fact that i recently hit inspiration for the last Yu-Gi-Oh! DF Special, the Dark Elite, and i have found myself obsessed with writing it (add obsessive-compulsive disorder to the list).

The good news, everyone, is that i have decided to revive DF long enough to finish that special. Maybe once its done i can get a chapter posted here like i promised a month ago...

if you like DF (or even if you don't/haven't read it) stop back soon for the final chapter!

• 2 months later...

temporary suspension of temporary hiatus, AND a new chapter!

[spoiler=Chapter Thirteen]

The Shadow

I stepped through the doorway into High Dorm just in time to see a tentacle lash out at the unconscious form of Ria Hernandez. Her body was already beginning to break down and join with the dark form in the center of the room. I only had time to act because the form wasn’t yet aware of me.

No you don’t, I thought, and my Soul of Darkness flashed. The tentacle blew apart and Ria’s body came back together. The Shadow form turned his attention on me, and I could feel his hunger.

You! the Shadow cried, its voice echoing in my mind. You have so much Duel Energy! Enough for me to feed on forever! I will have it!

The Shadow lashed out at me as he had at Ria, but its tentacles came apart harmlessly before they even got close.

“Sorry,” I said, “but Shadow Manipulation doesn’t work on me since its kinda my thing. Now give me the girl.”

The Shadow laughed, Only if you can defeat me. If I can’t fight you directly, then I will fight you in a Shadow Game. If you win, you are free to go and the girl is yours, and of course you will be allowed to enact a penalty on me if you wish. But if I win, your penalty will be absorption into me. Your duel energy and the magical artifact that you wear to amplify it will be mine.

I considered the Shadow’s offer, That thing’s a lot closer to Ria than I am, and I only managed to save her last time because it didn’t see me coming. I might not be fast enough to stop it from absorbing her now that it knows I’m here. But it’s not confident in its ability to absorb her before I can stop it, or else it wouldn’t have offered a game instead. Still…

“I accept your challenge,” I announced, my black Academy Disk transforming into the New Dark Disk.

Very good, the Shadow said. I’ve become quite accustomed to the modern version of “dueling” from the remnants of memory left from the Duelists I have absorbed. There is not a single aspect of the game of Duel Monsters that I do not understand. And my Duel Energy is already high enough to manifest a deck far more powerful than anything an average Duelist can create.

I smiled, “Too bad for you that I’m no ‘average” Duelist.”

Karen

I watched. The darkness that had been surrounding the dorm, slowly spreading outward from the walls suddenly stopped spreading, and I knew. The creature inside was focusing its power on something else.

The battle had begun.

It was then that I heard the sound of footsteps behind me. Thomas and I turned in time to see Professor Sheppard approaching calmly, his hands held behind his back.

“Well,” he said cheerfully, “you two seem oddly at ease in the presence of Shadow Magic.”

“Yeah,” I said, “we’re not exactly new to the whole Shadow Magic thing.”

“Actually,” said Thomas, raising his hand, “I am. Technically.”

Sheppard ignored him and continued to address me. “I know a little about Shadow Magic myself,” he said, “and if I’d had to guess which students on this island knew about Shadow Magic, I would have guessed you and your friends, especially the young man, John, that you are often with. After all, Academy Duel Disks don’t go turning black all on their own.”

“John and I have fought stuff like whatever is doing this,” I replied. “John is in their right now, fighting for his life.”

Sheppard nodded, “Well then, I hope your boyfriend is strong.”

I turned back toward the building, “Oh don’t worry, he is.”

John

I believe the term is, the shadow said, “allow me to begin”.

It held up its arm and a detail-lacking approximation of a duel disk appeared there. Smoke poured into the deck slot of the mysterious creature’s Disk, forming a complete deck, from which the Shadow drew six cards.

This should be interesting, I thought. I’ve never fought a malevolent soul-eating shadow spirit before. I wonder what deck it’ll use.

I summon, the Shadow began, the monster card ‘Fear from the Dark’.

A humanoid figure made of shadows appeared. It had long, sharp claws and a faded, ghostly lower body (ATK: 1700). I could barely see its black form in the darkness.

I set three cards, the Shadow concluded, and end my turn.

“Then I’ll make this quick,” I said. “I discard the Spell card ‘One for One’ to activate ‘Dark Core’, removing your monster from play.”

Not if I reveal ‘Dark Illusion’, the Shadow countered. A small black hole began to open above the shadow monster, but the monster promptly faded away, avoiding the affects of the Spell. Once my Spell faded from the field, the Shadow’s monster reappeared.

“Huh,” I said. “Guess it’s a good thing I never expected that to work. I summon ‘Chaosrider Gustaph’.”

The demonic rider appeared, pike in hand, his engine revved and ready to go (ATK: 1400).

“Once per turn, I can remove up to two Spells in my Graveyard from play to raise the power of my monster by three hundred per card until the end of your next turn.”

The only two Spells in my Graveyard ejected and I pocketed them. An aura flared around my monster (1400+600=2000).

“I attack,” I declared, “with Battle Pike!”

My monster revved his engine and twirled his weapon, and rode straight at the foe. I was confident, until I saw what passed for lips on my opponent’s so-called face curl into a smile.

Reveal, the Shadow declared, the Spell card ‘Level Aura’, raising the Attack of ‘Fear from the Dark’ by one hundred times its Level!

71648.jpg

Four Level Stars appeared, and sunk into ‘Fear’’s shadowy flesh, and ‘Fear’ gained an aura of his own (1700+400=2100). The shadowy monster’s claws extended. It sprung forward, meeting my rider head-on. Chaosrider swung his pike, but the shadowy monster struck, snapping the incoming pike in half and piercing my monster through the chest, destroying him (8000+2000-2100=7900).

Well that sucks I thought. “I set a card, and end my turn.”

I don’t give up as easily as you seem to, said the Shadow. In fact, I’m gonna move this duel along. I play ‘Allure of Darkness’, drawing two cards, and removing ‘Fear from the Dark’ in my hand from play! And I combo ‘Escape from the Dark Dimension’ to summon ‘Fear from the Dark’ to the field!

Another shadow monster appeared alongside the first.

Both monsters attack! The Shadow commanded.

Not what I was hoping he’d do, I thought, but I can’t take thirty-four hundred damage!

I allowed the first of the two monsters to strike me with his claws, gritting my teeth against the sharp pain (7900-1700=6200). The second monster moved to strike.

“Reveal,” I declared, “the Trap card ‘Flashing Light Barrier’!”

71648d.jpg

The strike of the second monster was slowed by a barrier of swirling light that surrounded me. I was hit, but not as hard as I could have been (6200-850=5350).

“The effect of my Trap also allows me to draw a card,” I explained. I did, not very impressed with my draw.

Make the best of the time you have left! the Shadow exclaimed. I end my turn by tributing both of my monsters to summon the strongest of the shadow monsters, the two shadows merged into a huge shadowy torso, ten times larger than they were themselves, ’Despair from the Dark’! Now go! The sooner you take your turn, the sooner I can kill you and take you power.

This thing seems a little bit desperate, I thought. Why? I took a second to concentrate and listen to my Soul, and I could feel the spirits of the many students absorbed by the Shadow, still within its body. Their spirits were being consumed as their Duel Energy was being expended.

This thing is using up all of its Duel Energy. More than it should be. It must be working overtime just to stay connected to this world! Its slipping away. I have to beat it before it does and takes everyone it absorbed along with it!

I drew, saw my card, and frowned.

Things could be a lot easier, I thought, If I could just draw a good card!

“I set a monster,” I said, “and end my turn.”

The Shadow chuckled, Splendid! Then I’m one step closer to the emergence into this world that I seek!

And that’s when it really hit me. Wait a minute! This thing is being forced to hold on because it’s not even fully emerged yet! It’s already this strong, and it’s not even here! Screw the kids who got absorbed by the thing. If I lose, this thing will fully emerge, with enough power to destroy the entire world!

Karen

I couldn’t see John, but like usual, if I paid attention, I could sense his state of mind, his pain, and his emotions. Until a few moments ago, John had been annoyed, but relatively confident. But now he was genuinely afraid.

“Professor Sheppard,” I asked, turning to face the older man, “what do you know about that thing in there?”

He was silent, but I could tell that he was thinking hard about something, so I waited. Finally he sighed, “You’re strong, and I’m sure you’re trustworthy, but there are things that I’m not allowed to tell you. So understand if my answers sometimes seem vague. I know nothing about this creature specifically, but the faculty and I did suspect that something like this might happen. That something might come here. But we never expected anything to appear so soon, and never at this level of power. One of my colleagues who understands the magical side of the Shadow Games and Duel Monsters far more than I do has suggested that someone must have summoned this creature. He and I were discussing it just before I came out here, in fact.”

“Summoned?” I asked. “On purpose?” I was shocked that anyone would willingly unleash something so dangerous on the world.

“Unlikely,” Sheppard answered, shaking his head. “We recently ordered a shipment of books to be delivered here for our library, but there were several books to be shipped along with them, kept separate from the others, that were to be used as research material on Shadow Magic. But when the shipment arrived, none of the books were separated, and the magic books were mistakenly placed on the shelves, out in the open. One very powerful book has gone missing. A book that my colleague has told me was once used to seal away a spirit-eating creature when it attempted to enter our world from the Shadows. A book that could have been used to unseal it as well. This creature, the first time around, was recorded as using the Duel Energy of ancient Duelists to fuel its rampage.”

“That’s not good,” I said. “John has a lot of Duel Energy. More than anyone that I’ve personally met. If John loses to that thing, and it absorbs his Duel Energy, there might be nothing in this world that can stop it.”

[spoiler=Card of the Day]

21ezwrc.jpg

It's big, scary, and deadly. What more could you ask for?

Next Chapter Omegacyber

John is losing his battle with the Shadow. His only hope is an untested card made by Karen. But will it be enough?

huh, it looks like i'm posting another chapter. but i can't be sure. you should read my post and let me know...

[spoiler=Chapter Fourteen]

Omegacyber

I equip my monster with the Spell card ‘Axe of Despair’, said the Shadow. The arm of his massive monster changed shape, becoming an axe (ATK: 2800+1000=3800).

I also play ‘Gold Sarcophagus’, the Shadow continued, allowing me to search out any of the many cards in my deck that can destroy you!

A golden box appeared in the air ahead of the Shadow and his massive monster.

I place my chosen card in the box, and in two turns, the box opens and I win!

A card appeared and fell into the box. I never saw what it was, but I could feel that he was right. The card he searched from his deck would kill me.

“I won’t let you have that card,” I said. “I’ll beat you before the box opens.”

We’ll see, the Shadow taunted. For now, I attack.

The shadowy ‘Despair’ slashed my monster, the Level One ‘Level Eater’ in half.

I set one card. Make your move!

Without hesitation, I began my turn.

“I summon,” I said, “the one monster left in my hand that can get rid of yours, my ‘D.D. Warrior Lady’! When she battles your monster, after damage is calculated, both monsters are removed from play. I attack!”

My monster, a young woman with long blonde hair, wearing a silver jumpsuit, appeared at my side. She drew her sword, a katana made of light (ATK: 1500). My monster lunged at the giant shadow creature, but just as her sword came down, armor appeared around the massive monster’s torso and head.

Reveal, the Shadow declared triumphantly, the Trap card ‘Sakuretsu Armor’, destroying your attacking monster!

The armor pulsed, destroying itself and my monster.

No matter what you do, the Shadow explained, you can’t overcome my power!

“I can try,” I replied. “I set a card and end.”

Karen

“So wait a minute,” said Thomas, “what exactly is Duel Energy anyway?”

“I never really learned exactly what it is,” I answered, “but just from context, I’ve figured out that it’s more or less the a type of energy that strong Duelists have.”

“You’re partially right,” Sheppard added. “Duel energy is strongest in strong gamers of most every type, because gamers are those who most actively struggle against their fates. Think of Duel Energy as a muscle that, when flexed, bends fate in your favor. There are different disciplines throughout the world that have been dedicated to strengthening this “muscle”. Various magics and martial arts. But gamers, because of what they are, are most likely to access these powers on their own. Additionally, there are those with a naturally high Duel Energy, or with a natural ability to control its flow. Duel Energy has been called other things throughout history, including chi, chakra and ba.”

“Okay,” said Thomas, “so Duel Energy helps people bend fate. That explains what it is and how it makes some people stronger than others in a duel. But what does it have to do with this creature?”

“Duel energy is also something that bridges this dimension with the Shadows,” I answered. “If this thing is a creature of the Shadows, it needs Duel Energy to exist in this dimension. The more Duel Energy it absorbs, the closer it comes to existing in this world.”

“Very perceptive, young lady,” said Sheppard.

No, I thought, it’s not perception. I knew Yami Marik. I’m speaking from experience.

John

You disappoint me, human, said the Shadow. The way things are going, I won’t even need the card in the sarcophagus. You are about to die, and when you do, I will make your energy my own. I will gain power beyond anything even I could have imagined! I will be immortal!

But first, I play ‘Card of Demise’ to rebuild my hand!

The Shadow drew from his deck until he held five cards.

I summon my third ‘Fear from the Dark’! the Shadow declared, another of the smaller shadow monsters appearing at the Shadow’s side (ATK: 1700). My monsters Attack, with a total offensive strength of fifty-five hundred!

I looked down at my Life Points display, showing only fifty-three fifty, I only have one chance!

“Reveal…!”

The two monsters struck. I managed to avoid serious injury from their attacks, but my Life was still hit. The larger ‘Despair from the Dark’ gouged a chunk of the floor up beneath me, knocking me down.

You’re finished! the Shadow declared, looking down on me, on my knees, head down, grasping an injured shoulder.

“Sorry,” I said, shaking your head, “but you’re wrong.” I looked up at the Shadow and pointed to my right, at the one detail that the Shadow had missed; my face-down Spell, revealed as the ‘Mystical Space Typhoon’. They Shadow looked about as shocked as a faceless creature can as he looked from his monster’s axe-less arm, to the Life Points display. Eight fifty.

No!

I smiled wider, “Oh yeah!” But I wasn’t as confident as I was forcing myself to appear. This is bad, I told myself. I need to finish this duel right now before things get even worse. But how?

I set three cards, the Shadow concluded, and end my turn.

“Oh, hurray!” I said sarcastically. Things just keep getting better and better.

“I draw,” I declared. This is it!

I pulled my card.

“Activate,” I declared, “the ‘Pot of Greed’ Spell card to draw two cards!”

As I drew again, I mentally ran through the cards in my deck. There was only one that could help me, and even ‘Black Luster Soldier’ couldn’t win this duel for me in one turn. Not while my opponent controlled three face-down cards.

And I can’t seem to access the Soul! This thing’s power is too unstable. I can’t use Destiny Draw!

Please, I pleaded silently, give me something that can win this fight!

I turned over my cards, and I saw that they were ‘The Fiend Megacyber’ and another. It would help, but it wouldn’t be enough to win, and to keep him from opening the sarcophagus next turn. I felt my heart sink, until I remembered the card Karen had given me, and I knew how I could win.

I barely looked at the card, I thought. I don’t know anything about it past its summoning requirements. But it’s the only chance I have.

“You control two more monsters than I do,” I declared, “so I’m able to Special Summon ‘The Fiend Megacyber’!”

Black and yellow lightning erupted from the ground at my feet, and the yellow-armored monster appeared (ATK: 2200).

Your monster is harmless, the Shadow remarked.

“Maybe,” I replied, “but this one monster isn’t the only thing I have. I still have three cards in my hand, and by discarding two of them,” I fed ‘D.D. Scout Plane’ and ‘Dimension Fusion’ into my Graveyard, “I can transform ‘The Fiend Megacyber’, Special Summoned through his own effect, into his most supreme form!”

My monster cried out as his armor flew off, his body glowing with a bright light. White lightning poured over him, buzzing around him, taking form. The lightning itself became white armor that, lightning still rolling off of it like water.

“Behold my just warrior, freed from the power of darkness,” I exclaimed, “and allowed to achieve his real potential, ‘The Fiend Omegacyber’!”

My monster raised his arms up at his sides and slowly rose into the air, energy lancing between his fingertips and feet and the ground beneath him (ATK: 3000).

Your monster will fall! the Shadow declared. I reveal ‘Bottomless Trap Hole’!

“No,” I replied, “you don’t.” ‘Omegacyber’ waved his hand, slinging energy at the face-down cards that my opponent controlled.

“In the turn that ‘The Fiend Omegacyber’ is summoned by his own effect, my opponent can’t activate any Spell or Trap cards.

“But I’m still not done!” I declared. “I’ve been saving my last card. I play ‘Special Draw’! During a turn in which I Special Summon a monster, I can play this card to draw another , plus yet another if that monster was a Warrior-type!”

71648.jpg

I drew again.

“Perfect! I play ‘Card of Sanctity’! We each draw until we hold six cards!”

This can’t be happening. The Shadow remarked.

I drew five cards, “It can, and it is. You underestimated me, and that is why you are going to lose this duel! I equip my monster with ‘Fusion Sword Murasame Blade’ and ‘Assault Armor’!”

The armor on my monster’s arm extended outward, forming a blade, and his lightning swirled into a white aura (ATK: 3000+800+300=4100).

“I release the ‘Assault Armor’,” I declared, and the aura pulsed outward (4100-300=3800), “allowing my monster to attack twice this turn. I attack!”

‘The Fiend Omegacyber’ charged his entire body with white, black, and yellow lightning and shot forward. He punched the ‘Fear from the Dark’, dispersing its shadowy body (8000+1700-3800=5900), pushed off of the ground with his feet, avoiding the ‘Despair’’s swiping claws, and shot upward, cutting the huge, wicked torso in half (5900+2800-3800=4900). Excess energy from the attack lanced forward and struck the Shadow. Its physical form almost broke apart, but it recovered quickly.

I’ve survived, the Shadow stated, its voice more distant than before.

“No,” I said, “you didn’t. I activate ‘Quick Summon’, tributing my monster for the ‘Great Maju Garzett’, a demon with double the Attack of the tributed monster!”

No!

‘The Fiend Omegacyber’ broke down into darkness and reformed into the massive demon that was often my most powerful card (ATK: 6000).

“I attack,” I declared, “with Vile Energy!”

‘Great Maju Garzett’ thrust his palm, releasing an energy wave that overtook the Shadow, blasting it apart. Its remnants lingered.

I could destroy it, I thought, but if I did, would the students within it survive?

I decided that I couldn’t risk it, so instead I activated my Soul. I can’t destroy this Shadow, so I’ll seal it away for as long as my seal will hold!

The Shadow began to fade, and the unconscious forms of students began to take his place, but he held on just long enough to utter one final declaration, This isn’t over. I will return!

I ignored him, running to my fallen friend Ria’s side.

Karen

The three of us, Thomas, Sheppard and I, stood in silence and waited. I felt John take a serious hit.

Come on John, I thought, you can do it. I’m right here with you.

It’s odd that you can have feelings for someone for years, but they never really affect you until they’ve been let out in the open.

Soon after he was hit, I felt John’s power rise as he made his counterattack. And only minutes later, the Shadows around the building began to fall away. Without thinking, I ran for the door.

“Wait,” said Sheppard, “you should wait for the shadows to abate completely!”

But I ignored him and kept going.

John

“Ria, wake up. You okay?” I lifted her head up off of the floor as her eyes fluttered open.

“You’re okay,” I said. “Good.” I was about to stand and help her up when I felt her arms close around me. She pulled herself close, and kissed me. I pushed her away and stepped back. That’s when I heard someone behind me. I turned, and there was Karen, tears in her eyes. Before I could say a word, she turned, and she ran.

[spoiler=Card of the Day]

71648.jpg

This card is quite possibly the most powerful card that John will ever add to his deck from now on. It fits perfectly into his deck, which makes sense since it was made for him by someone who knows him at least as well as he knows himself. This card's only real weakness is its steep summoning cost, which John is actually reckless enough to pay.

Next Chapter Confrontations

or rather "Legendhiro tries to rush a crap load of character developement"

Loved the new chapter. Sorry I didn't notice the other one. But they were both awesome. Stupid Ria had to go and hurt Karren's feelings. But, Karren should have realized that it wasn't John it was Ria's fault. Poor John has a LOT of explaining to do.

the next chapter is finally ready. damn i'm sick. is the swine flu still going around?

[spoiler=Chapter Fifteen]

Confrontations

I ran after Karen. “Wait,” I called after her as I ran past Thomas and Sheppard. I barely even noticed that they were there as I followed Karen into the woods.

“Karen,” I called, “wait!”

She stopped abruptly and turned to face me.

“What?!” she demanded, her head down, the hair in her eyes almost concealing the angry tears there.

“That wasn’t what you think. She woke up and was scared, and she kissed me. She kissed me. It’s not a big deal!”

“And that’s your problem,” said Karen. “Nothing is even a big deal to you anymore. Your classes are easy for you, so you think it’s okay to take it easy. Ria hits on you everyday and you just shake it off. You never even try to stop it! And don’t try to tell me that she doesn’t, ‘cuz I know she does. Thomas told me. You know as well as I do that he never shuts up about what’s been going on around him. He told me that you let her hit on you all the time!”

“She’s not hurting anyone,” I said. “I tell her no every time. She’ll stop soon. It’s no-.”

“No big deal?” Karen interrupted. “Well it is a big deal. It’s a big deal to me! You take nothing seriously except dueling, and guess what John, I’m not a duel!”

“Wait,” I asked, “you think I don’t take us seriously? That’s crazy!”

“Really?” Karen asked, a stubborn fire in her eyes. “I’m an expert at reading strangers. Don’t you think I can read you, the person I know best in the world? I’m working from example here, and the example I’ve given suggests that you take our relationship for granted.”

“Never!” I protested. “I’ve never done anything like that before.”

But Karen was far from convinced.

“I’m sorry,” she said, “but I think you do. We need some time apart. I’m going to stay at Kimi’s this summer. Her and her parents are going to be out of town, but they said I could use the place. I’m going home, and when I get back next year, I’m gonna request a separate schedule from yours. Completely separate, and a transfer to Red Dorm. Maybe I’ll see you around, once you’ve grown up a little, but as things stand, I wouldn’t count on it.”

She turned and walked away, leaving me standing there, speechless, broken and hurt. I heard a twig snap behind me, and I turned around to find Thomas and Ria standing nearby. Ria looked about as bad as I felt.

“I-I’m sorry,” she stuttered. “I was only goofin’ all those times. I just got carried away. I never really wanted to break you guys up, I swear!”

“Go away,” I said, tears of pain rolling down my face. “Go away,” I screamed, “and NEVER TALK TO ME AGAIN!”

She jumped and she ran. I scared her.

Good.

“That was harsh,” said Thomas.

“Yeah,” I said “maybe it was, but in case you can’t tell, I’m a little pissed off right now!”

We were silent for a few moments before Thomas finally said, “All things considered, this probably isn’t the best time to tell you this, but there’s some stuff you should hear that didn’t quite sit with me.”

Without mentioning Karen’s name, Thomas proceeded to tell me about Sheppard showing up at High Dorm during the duel, and about the details of Sheppard’s conversation with Karen.

And suddenly I had someone to be mad at.

“Do you know where he went?” I asked.

“Back to the school to Kagemaru’s office I think,” said Thomas, “but John, you really shouldn’t go-.”

“Thanks, Thomas,” I interrupted, “but I’m good from here.”

My Soul glowed, and suddenly I was gone, melted into the shadows of the trees.

I reappeared out of the shadows in a corner of a sleek hallway leading to a set of large doors. I heard Sheppard’s voice behind them. I walked briskly down the hall and threw open the doors, barging into Kagemaru’s office to confront the two professors, “You bastards!”

Sheppard turned around to face me, and Kagemaru rose from his desk chair and asked, “Can I help you, young man?”

“This is the young man that I was telling you about,” Sheppard said, preventing me from answering.

“Ah,” said Kagemaru, “so this is John, the one who saved this island from destruction!”

“Yeah,” I said fiercely, “I am. You know, I’m pretty used to fighting weird s*** like that thing in High Dorm, and I’m used to that weird s*** being some kinda power-hungry jerk. Or some kinda destructive monster. And those are the things I fight but you guys are supposed to be professors, the good guys, and you’ve caused more trouble than most of those guys combined. You’re supposed to be professors! How could you be so stupid?” You knew something like this was going to happen!”

“Not true,” Sheppard protested. “I told your friend that when we built this place and brought so much duel energy together that we took the risk that something might happen. I also made a point to mention that this crisis was far bigger than any natural occurrence. That thing was summoned here by something, most likely by accident.”

“Because the staff of this school was careless and let a dangerous magic book get stolen by some idiot kids. Your staff was irresponsible and we all almost paid the price. Do you have any idea how many people were nearly lost today? Do you even know?”

Kagemaru looked away, and Sheppard looked down, ashamed, and said, “Seven. We nearly lost seven students today.”

“More,” I told him. “If I hadn’t sent that thing back to wherever the hell it came from, it would have killed everyone. And I don’t just mean everyone on this island. I mean everyone. What do you plan to do to keep this kind of thing from happening again?”

“Well,” Sheppard replied, “the Chancellor and I were just discussing the situation.”

“First of all,” said Kagemaru, “I want to make clear that I take offense to my students confronting me in this manner.”

Kagemaru rose from his chair and stood right in face, looking me in the eyes, as if examining me.

“However,” he said, “it is clear that you are quite knowledgeable about this situation, more so than many of my people in fact. Therefore I will accept your council.”

He walked back to his seat and sat down, saying, “No further shipments of suspect books will be made through unsecured shipping lines. Furthermore we plan to tear down the current High Dorm and ship in trees to increase the volume of the forest, hiding the site upon which it now stands, destroying the only thing that connects that creature to this world.”

“Well that’s a stupid idea,” I said.

“How so?” Sheppard asked.

“That thing broke through a barrier when it came through here. The place where it came through will always be a bridge between worlds for that creature, and it will take more and more energy for it to get further and further from that place. When I sent it back, an aspect of the Penalty Game I inflicted was a seal meant to close off that bridge, but it was my first ever seal. It’s not gonna hold. If you leave the building up, not only will that be the another physical barrier for that thing to have to get through if it comes back, it’ll be a landmark for people to avoid. Plus, it’ll help hold in anything else that finds that bridge and tried to use it to come through now that the door has been opened.”

“So other things might come through there as well?” Kagemaru asked.

“I don’t know,” I answered, “but based on some of the things I felt in that building today, I’d bet yes.”

“I see,” said Kagemaru, nodding.

“This young man makes sense, Chancellor,” said Sheppard. “I recommend that we heed his recommendations.”

Kagemaru nodded again, “Agreed.”

“This is all well and good,” I said, “but I still want to know what your future plans are. Do you plan to relocate the school? Will you shut down completely?”

“Of course not,” Sheppard answered.

“What?” I demanded. “This school is dangerous!”

“This school will be dangerous no matter where it is located,” said Kagemaru. “No matter where in the world we establish it, the combined duel energy of its many students will draw danger to it. But those dangers are appearing all throughout the world at an ever-increasing rate daily. This school is necessary because it teaches students, making them stronger so that they can confront those threats. In fact, that is one of the primary reasons that Seto Kaiba and Maxamillion Pegasus established this place to begin with. Do you understand?”

I felt some of my anger abating as logic finally began to replace emotion. Their statements made sense, and I was tired of the conversation anyway.

“Yeah,” I said, “I get it. But I’m going to say this once and only once. If ever I feel that this place is doing more harm than good, I will shut it down myself. Do you understand?”

Kagemaru nodded and smiled, “Whatever it takes to keep us old geezers honest.”

I began to turn to leave, finally satisfied, when I thought of something else to say.

“One more thing,” I told them. “I need you to set something up for me, as a thanks for saving all of your lives, at great risk to my own.”

“Of course,” said Sheppard, wearing a warm smile, “we’d be happy to help.”

Karen

By the time I was back at the school announcements were already coming over the intercoms about the natural disaster at High Dorm, instructing all High Dorm students to report to the main building to be paired with a roommate with whom they would spend the last few days of the school year. That included me, at least for awhile longer. Another announcement came on a few minutes later, announcing that those of us who had finished classes early, like me and most of the design department, would be given the opportunity to go home early for the summer. I decided to stay. After all, I did have a requested schedule change to get put through.

I made my way to the main building to receive my new room assignment from one of the many professors gathered there in the lobby. The professor that I ended up talking to was my Card Design Basics professor, Professor Marian Webkin. She placed me in one of the rooms in the girls side of Mid Dorm and suggested that I hurry up and meet my new roommate.

“Thanks Miss Webkin,” I said cheerfully to the dark-haired, forty-something woman.

“You’re welcome,” the professor answered. “See you in class this Friday.”

I nodded, flashing a forced smile. I looked around, seeing if I could spot Sheppard or one of the other head professors, but I couldn’t.

Well that sucks, I thought. Now I have to go all the way up to the offices and waste my time.

That’s when I heard a voice calling my name and turned toward it, only to see…

“Professor Sheppard? Good, I was looking for you.”

He didn’t hear me, “Ah, I’m glad I found you, young lady. I’ve been asked to give you this letter.”

“Whose it from?” I asked as Sheppard handed me a folded sheet of paper.

“Perhaps you should read it,” Sheppard replied, and he was gone, weaving through the crowd of his students and his peers.

What could this be? I wondered, looking down at the letter that had been handed to me. I unfolded it, and a card fell into my hand; ‘The Fiend Omegacyber’, and I knew exactly what this was. I opened the letter and read:

Karen,

You refuse to tell me about your past, from your time in the order and before, and I’ve come to terms with that, but I think maybe your past affects you more than you think. I respect the fact that you don’t want to see me, but I still think you overreacted today, and I can only think of one reason why you would have. For some reason, consciously or not, you were pushing me away. But for all the things you said that I disagree with, you also said some things that were true. I do have a problem taking things seriously. Maybe spending some time apart is the answer, I don’t know, but it’s as good a place to start as any.

I know you planned to change dorms and schedules, but there’s no reason for you to be put out, so I’ve gone ahead and changed my schedule instead. I’ll begin next year in Low Dorm, and I‘ve already made sure that we won’t have any classes together for at least the next year. You won’t see me again until I’ve rediscovered who I am.

I’m writing this because I want you to know that I still love you. I always will. Maybe I’m being harsh, but this is what you thought we needed, so I’m giving it a shot. Don’t try to find me, because you won’t. I’ve enclosed the card you gave me. Please, hold onto it for me, and stay safe.

Love, John

By the time I was finished reading, there were tears in my eyes. I realized that I’d overreacted, but even though I spent the rest of the evening looking, I couldn’t find John anywhere. I knew then that I wasn’t going to see him for a long time.

Next Chapter What Happened Next

the next portion of the story is told from Karen's point of view. you'll never believe what happens when she meets her roommate!

First of all, ouch, I hate getting sick. Hope you feel better.

Now, I was surprised by John getting so angry. I don't think I've ever seen him so angry, except maybe against some of the big baddies like Marik and Blackheart or whatever his name was. I wonder where John went. And, I wonder how he plans on getting serious. I wonder who Karren's roommate is going to be. Probably someone from her past or maybe Ria. Poor Karren, now she's the broken hearted one.

I was surprised by John getting so angry...

well, that's what happens when you point out someones flaws or mistakes to them. either they can take it and move on, or they get mad at themselves first before hand. John is obviously the latter, and unfortunately he takes that anger out on other people. but he's cooled down, and don't worry, he's still around. he's not gonna throw away his education at DA.

I wonder who Karren's roommate is going to be. Probably someone from her past or maybe Ria...

how do you do that? O_o

both John and Karen were hard on each other, but things will work out.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for the lack of updates guys. i've been sick. bad. hopefully updates will resume soon. also, any of my readers who are into Digimon, even a little, i've begun posting a redux of my Digimon fic. anyone who has read the original, the redux is still worth a skim. there are a lot of details new to the redux.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived