Yu-Gi-Oh! DA, Book One; The Phantom Seal. TEMPORARY HIATUS

legendhiro

What do you think of this fanfic?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of this fanfic?

• I have not read your last fanfic, and I won't read this one. It sucks.
    • I have not read your last fanfic, but this one seems awesome!
    • I have read your last fanfic, and this one doesn't live up.
    • I have read your last fanfic, and this one is just as good. Love it!

6sqj5y.png

Introduction:

Join John and Karen, two Duelists and former members of the well known Duel Force as they attend the first three years of Duel Academy. Duel Monsters or its equivalents have been closely associated with the dangerous and often deadly Shadow Games for thousands of years, but not everyone knows this. Who would have realized that bringing an entire island's worth of Duelists together would bring the Shadow Games closer than ever? Our heroes and their new friends must quell evil forces, battle gangs, free possessed teachers, and fight against a dark Duelist possessing greater skill than any before him (or so he says). All the while their lives and the lives of everyone around them hang in the balance! Can they prevail against such odds?

This story is the continuation of my first series Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Force (DF). You can read this without reading the other, but reading the other is recommended. They are not, however, the same series.

As many chapters as possible will be posted here:

[spoiler=Chapter One]

The Entry Exam

There are times in everyone’s lives when they realize that they are somewhere that they shouldn’t be. I’m no exception. I’m John, a Duelist who held the World Championship for a year, led the best known Duel Monsters team in North America, and who was invited by Seto Kaiba himself to attend the dueling school Duel Academy, and yet here I was, being forced to take the entrance exams just like everyone else. I watched as my monster, a warrior wearing layered yellow armor, ‘The Fiend Megacyber’, was destroyed by the ‘Axe of Despair’ wielded by my opponent’s monster; a four-armed werewolf called ‘Gene-Warped Warwolf’ (ATK: 2000+1000=3000).

My Life Points dropped (4000+2200-3000=3200). I scowled as I looked around the room, from the hologram of my face-down card, to the other duels taking place around me. I was inside a large open building with the outlines of eight duel arenas marked on the floor, spread evenly across the wide space. To my left was one arena and a set of stands filled with other Duelists. To my right were two arenas and a table at which sat three judges, given the task of grading the performances of potential students. Behind me were the other four arenas. Standing across from me was my opponent; a man in his thirties. He was one of the testers from the Academy. From what I could tell the Test Deck that he was using was pure Beatdown, which meant I could guess what was coming next. It was easily the least exciting duel I had ever fought.

“Now I end my turn,” the tester said, “with ‘Skill Drain’. I pay one thousand Life Points (4000-1000=3000) to cancel the effects of all monsters on the field.”

I sighed, “I reveal ‘Seven Tools of the Bandit’, paying one thousand of my Life Points (3200-1000=2200) to negate and destroy your Trap. Now I draw, and I summon ‘Giant Orc’ in attack mode.” A huge, gray-skinned goblin appeared, carrying a club (ATK: 2200).

“Next,” I continued, “I play ‘Quick Summon’,

154661.jpg tributing my ‘Orc’ to summon ‘Great Maju Garzett’! My monster has Attack equal to twice the attack of the tributed monster.”

‘Giant Orc’ disappeared, and a massive brown skeletal demon appeared in its place. It had tufts of hair coming off of its wrists and head, and it had two spherical crystals embedded in its shoulders, with a third embedded in its forehead (ATK: 4400).

“I play ‘Monster Reborn’,” I declared, “to revive ‘The Fiend Megacyber’.” The yellow-armored warrior appeared at my side (ATK: 2200). “’Great Maju’,” I commanded, “attack with Vile Energy.”

‘Great Maju’ thrust his palm, firing off a wicked energy blast that tore ‘Gene-Warped Warwolf’ apart (3000+3000-4400=1600).

“Now I finish it with ‘Megacyber Impact’,” I commanded. ‘Fiend Megacyber’ shot forward and punched my opponent, reducing his Life Points to zero. Before the tester could say a word, I turned and walked away.

Once I was off of the main floor I made my way over to the stands. I stood beside them, scanning the other duels for Karen. I found her immediately and repositioned myself a bit so that I could hear what she and her tester were saying. She was dueling at the second row arena closest to the stands. She was in a situation that would have been trouble for most Duelists. But I knew better of Karen. Her opponent, a young woman in glasses, had ‘Marshmallon’ on the field. ‘Marshmallon’ is a unique monster, known for its mushy marshmallow-like appearance, and its immunity to battle damage (DEF: 500/LP: 4000). Her opponent also controlled the Trap card ‘Spirit Barrier’, a card that protected her from damage in battle while she controlled at least one monster. All that Karen had out was the characterized sorceress ‘Toon Dark Magician Girl’ (ATK: 2000) and the green book that supplied the ‘Toon’ with her power; the magical ‘Toon World’ (LP: 2000).

“Your Toon Monster might have the ability to attack directly,” the female tester said, “but I am immune to damage while I control ‘Marshmallon’, and thanks to his effect, I think I’ll be controlling him for awhile.”

“Don’t count on it,” said Karen. “I play ‘Comic Hand’,

154661.jpg pulling one of my opponent’s monsters into the magic book that is ‘Toon World’, putting it under my control.”

A white gloved hand reached out of the pages of the green book, grabbing the ‘Marshmallon’ and pulling it into the pages. The book slammed closed, and a few moments later it opened again, spewing pink smoke. The smoke cleared, revealing a bouncier version of ‘Marshmallon’ with large, cartoon eyes.

“Next,” said Karen, “I double the power of my ‘Toon Dark Magician Girl’ with ‘Megamorph’.” An aura flared around the cartoon sorceress, and her power rose (2000x2=4000). “I attack,” Karen declared, “with Dark Burning Attack!” The Toon aimed her wand at the tester and fired a massive pink spherical blast (4000-4000=0).

Karen smiled, full of pride, and brushed her long dark hair out of her face. She turned off her Duel Disk and walked over to stand next to me, wrapping her arm around mine. “Did you see any strong Duelists?” she asked.

“You mean besides you?” I asked. “That would be a no. But to be fair, this is the last day of testing, and this was the second to last set. That means that the next eight Duelists will be the last set, period.”

“Speaking of the last set,” said Karen, “here they come.” As she spoke, the last Duelist finished his duel. He was defeated. He stepped out of the room through a set of doors on the opposite side of the room, and eight more Duelists entered, taking up their positions. “Should we watch?” Karen asked.

“Why not,” I replied. “Maybe we’ll see someone strong. Come on, let’s find a seat.”

I took her hand in mine and led her over to the stands. We found a couple of seats a couple of rows up. Karen leaned up against me. The two of us actually being together was still new to me, but I liked it.

I scanned the newest set of Duelists. One of them caught my eye; a boy of maybe sixteen. He was facing the tester closest to us in the first row. He had a strong aura and a certain confidence about him. His duel energy was high. He had semi-long sandy brown hair and green eyes, and he wore a black windbreaker with red stripes down the sleeves and white cargo pants. Underneath his jacket he wore a yellow t-shirt with a red flame on it. Because the boy and his opponent were close, I could hear what they were saying.

“You ready, kid?” the tester asked.

“You bet,” said the kid in a cheery voice.

“Then here I come,” the tester said. “I set a card and set a monster. Your move.”

“That’s all?” the kid asked. “After watching some of the last set of duels, I was hoping for something more, but oh well. I set a card of my own and summon ‘Flame Spirit Ignis’ in attack mode.” A spirit creature with a ghostly tail in place of its lower body, strong arms, a head like that of a fox, and eight eyes appeared, wreathed in fire (ATK: 1500). “’Ignis’ attacks.” The fire spirit summoned a fireball and tossed it at the face-down monster, which was revealed as a ball with a face, covered in several dozen long needles.

“’Needle Ball’,” the tester commanded, “activate your effect.”

Before the monster was destroyed, every one of its needles were fired from its body. Because it was closer to the tester, he was hit with more (4000-2000=2000), but several still hit the kid (4000-1000=3000).

“Now back to my turn,” the tester said. “I play ‘Dian Keto the Cure Master’, restoring one thousand of the Life Points that I lost.” He was bathed in light (2000+1000=3000). “I’ll set another monster and another card. Your move, kid.”

Interesting, I thought. If I’m right about this tester’s deck, then this kid could very easily lose this turn.

“I attack,” said the kid, and the fire spirit threw another fireball, this time revealing the opponent’s monster to be a large purple worm covered in spikes.

“My ‘Needle Worm’ forces you to discard the top five cards of your deck when he’s flipped face-up,” the tester said, and the worm launched five of its spikes, hitting the kids duel disk. “And,” the tester said, “I chain two Trap cards; ‘Skull Invitation’ and ‘Coffin Seller’. Now each time a monster goes to your Graveyard you lose three hundred Life Points, and whenever a card goes to the Graveyard, its controller takes three hundred points of damage.”

The tester watched as the kid discarded five cards; three of which were monsters.

“I may take thee hundred damage, but you take twenty-four hundred damage,” the tester said. The kid was wreathed in a wicked aura (Kid: 3000-2400=600/Tester: 3000-300-2700).

The kid sighed, “Damn, I was hoping that this would be more exciting. I could draw it out, but I don’t wanna risk things getting out of hand. I activate ‘Mystical Space Typhoon’ to destroy the ‘Skull Invitation’ card.” A burst of wind tore the hologram of the tester’s Trap to shreds. “I’m guessing that you have another ‘Needle Ball’ in your hand,” the kid said, “so I’m gonna go ahead and end this now.

“I activate two Spell cards; ‘Dark Room of Nightmare’ and ‘Soul Absorption’. Now you take three hundred damage whenever I deal you damage through an effect, and I gain five hundred Life Points every time a card is removed from play. I’ll also summon ‘Hinotama Soul’.” A living fireball appeared, floating in the air.

The fireball disappeared, “I tribute ‘Hinotama Soul’ to activate the effect of ‘Flame Spirit Ignis’, dealing you one hundred damage for every Fire monster in my Graveyard. If you add on the three hundred from my Spell card, that’s seven hundred damage.”

‘Ignis’ summoned four more fireballs, launching them at the tester (Tester: 2700-700=2000/Kid: 600-300=300).

“Next,” the kid said, “I remove ‘Hinotama Soul’ in my Graveyard from play to summon ‘Inferno’ and restore five hundred of my Life Points.”

A spark appeared in the air, flaring out and becoming a massive face made of flames, and the kids Life went up (300+500=800). ‘Inferno’ disappeared as well, “I tribute ‘Inferno’ to deal another seven hundred damage (Tester: 2000-700=1300/Kid: 800-300=500).”

“Finally,” the kid said, “I reveal ‘Spiritual Fire Art – Kurenai’, converting my ‘Flame Spirit Ignis’ into his spirit form so that he can launch one final attack! I tribute him to deal you fifteen hundred damage!”

The fire monster flew into the tester and disappeared (Tester: 1300-1500=0/Kid: 500-300=200). Against all odds, the kid had won.

“Hey Karen,” I said, still watching the kid with great interest.

“Yeah?” she replied, looking up into my eyes.

“Remind me to find that kid. I want to duel him some day.”

[spoiler=Chapter Two]

Orientation

Two days after the entry duels Karen and I and many other students were taken to an island by plane. I was hoping to see the Duelist from the entry duels again. The one with the Fire Spirit Deck. I wanted to duel him. But the plane was small. It could only carry so many passengers at a time. Apparently he wasn’t one of the passengers this trip.

Oh well.

Karen and I sat together, looking out the window, trying to catch a first glimpse of the island that would be our home for the next four years. It wasn’t long before the island came into view. It was pretty big, with a river running across it and a beach along one edge. Half of the island was taken up by a dormant volcano and the surrounding forest. Even from so high up and so far away, I could make out four large buildings. One was much larger than the others, so much so that it could only be the school itself. It was constructed with irregular pillars and domes, with a walkway leading up to the front. The next largest building, which was blue in color, was further back, nestled in the woods. It was large and luxurious with a central section and two wings. The third largest building was more square and colored yellow. There were almost many windows visible on the walls of this building, which meant the same number of rooms packed into a smaller space. It was still more than large enough though.

The fourth building was smallest. I had to wait until the plane was circling for a landing along the coast of the island before I could make out the details. This building, the closest to the river, was painted red. It was like one of those motels where they basically stack a bunch of rooms around and on top of each other with the doors leading right to the outside.

These three buildings were the dorms. The blue building was, as it was called at the time, High Dorm. It was the dorm for high income students, students who had donated money to the school, invited guests, or other special cases. High Dorm would later be the home of students who had gone through a special prep program, but that program hadn’t started up yet. The yellow building was Mid Dorm, the dorm for the highest ranking duelists. The red building was Low Dorm, the dorm for students who either scored low, just enough to get into the academy, or for students who couldn’t afford the tuition and were here on the academy’s dime. Anyone who let his grades slip would also be downgraded to Low Dorm. Think of it as the slums of the island.

Karen and I, having been invited to attend the academy by Seto Kaiba himself, would be housed in High Dorm.

“So,” Karen asked, making conversation as the plane descended, “you looking forward to dueling the other students from our dorm?”

“No,” I answered, “not really.”

“Really?” she wondered. “Why not? I thought High Dorm was for the best students in the school.”

“One day it will be,” I said, “but until they establish that prep program I told you about, High Dorm will be dominated by whiny rich kids with deep pockets and rare cards that they don’t know what to do with. The real challenges will come from students in Mid Dorm.

“Hmm,” said Karen, “I guess that makes sense.”

The plane landed, and a set of moving stairs was rolled out and situated outside the hatch. Karen and I filed out with the other passengers, and the entire group was directed toward the school. We would have to attend orientation before settling in at our dorms or exploring the island. The school wasn’t far off, and we arrived in only a few minutes’ time. The schoolyard was spectacular. The wide walkway that I had seen from the sky led right up the building, the façade of which was both interesting and appealing. The walkway was lined on either side by stone rectangles carved with the likenesses of various Duel Monsters. Each rectangle was set atop a wide base that could be used as a bench. The entire area was an architectural work of art.

Karen and I and the other passengers from the plane filed through the front doors and found ourselves in a wide open lobby. The walls were white and the floors were marble. There were open stairways leading up to the next floor, and corridors stretching off to either side of the wide open room. There was a third, wider corridor strait ahead. One of the teachers, a strong-looking bald man, was waiting for us.

He spoke, “My name is Professor Shepherd, professor of the Advanced Duel Mechanics course here at Duel Academy. You are the last group of students to arrive, which means, if you’ll all please follow me, it’s time for the orientation speech by our headmaster, Professor Kagemaru.” He gestured to the corridor ahead of us, “This way please.”

“Hah,” said a kid off to my left, speaking to three others, “don’t make me laugh. They call themselves professors, but I bet I know more about Duel Monsters than they do.”

I scrutinized the kid. He had long, sand-colored hair and gray eyes. I’d never seen a more arrogant expression on a person, except maybe Marik. I summoned a bit of magic from my Soul of Darkness, and I could see the kid’s Duel Energy. It was abundant, but unfocused.

Karen noticed him too. “He seems strong,” she said, “but he’s arrogant. He’ll have to learn to control that if he wants to do well.”

“Maybe I should teach him,” I said. I started toward the kid, but Karen stopped me.

“Please don’t start anything during orientation.”

I sighed, “Fine. I’ll just wait until after orientation.”

We followed the rest of our group into a large round open room with seating like you would expect to see in a Japanese High School. The front half of the room as dominated by a stage housing a podium, behind which was a large screen. At the base of the stage were three boxes containing plastic wrapped uniforms, colored to correspond with the colors of the three dorms. The seats were already about two thirds of the way full of students. Some of them were already wearing their uniform jackets, but most weren’t.

“You all know which dorm you’re in,” said Shepherd. “Please take two uniforms of the correct color, and then find your seats. The headmaster will begin his speech shortly.”

Karen and I each routed through the box until we found the correct uniforms in the correct sizes. Her’s was a girl’s uniform and was therefore different than mine in a few ways, but they were mostly identical. Karen left her uniforms in their packages, but I removed one of my jackets and tried it on. It was bulkier than my over shirt, and I didn’t care much for the colors, so I removed it and put my over shirt back on.

Almost as soon as Karen and I were settled, Shepherd got the attention of the murmuring crowd and announced that Professor Kagemaru was ready to begin. As he spoke, an elderly man stepped into the room. He was hunched forward, his hands clasped behind his back, and his head was almost completely devoid of hair, but his stride was brisk and his eyes were lively. I remembered hearing rumors from some of the other potential students at the exams that the headmaster of Duel Academy was a former coworker of Maxamillion Pegasus, and the sole holder of a powerful deck like no other. He was supposed to be unbeatable.

The screen behind the podium flickered on as Kagemaru stepped up behind the mic, showing a close-up of his smiling face.

“Good evening,” said Kagemaru. “I am your headmaster, Professor Kagemaru. I’ll make this brief, since you’ll no doubt want to settle into your new homes. Here at Duel Academy, we’re dedicated to providing you with an education that will prepare you for a career in one of a few possible Duel Monsters related fields. We do so by-.”

“Actually, ‘Professor’,” came a voice from the other side of the room, a few rows up, “I’ve been meaning to ask you about that.” I looked up and located the speaker. It was the gray-eyed kid again. Crap, I thought. he’s wearing High Dorm blue. That means he’s going to be in my dorm.

“So, ‘Headmaster’,” said Gray Eyes mockingly, “how exactly do you expect to teach us anything? We’re already Duelists. What makes you think you can teach us?”

“I’ll take this one Headmaster,” said Shepherd, stepping forward, a wide grin spread across his face. He looked right into the kid’s eyes, “What’s your name, Son?”

“Jack Rollands,” said the kid, “son of oil tycoon Kevin Rollands, and the best Duelist on this island by a wide margin. By best, I mean better than you.”

Shepherd smiled a friendly smile, “If that’s the case, why not come down here and prove it, Mr. Rollands?”

Jack cracked his knuckles and made his way down to the floor, “Gladly!”

Shepherd activated his Duel Disk. It was a newer model, probably designed exclusively for the school. It was thinner, more rounded, and more compact. The professor took a deck from his pocket and inserted it into the deck loader. Everyone was completely focused on what was happening in front of them. We’d all seen the testers’ decks, and everyone in the room was eager to see how much stronger a professor was.

“Me first,” said Jack, still wearing the same arrogant smile. “I run a deck filled with nothing but the most powerful rare cards!”

“Well then,” said Shepherd, “why not let me make the first more. That way you can attack first and you’ll take the lead that much sooner.”

“Fine,” said Jack. “Sounds good to me.”

“Then I draw,” said Shepherd, “and I’ll simply set two cards and end my turn.”

“I knew you were weak!” said Jack. “When I win, everyone on this island will know that I’m the best. I’ll as good as own this place! I summon ‘Koa’ki Meiru Drago’ in attack mode!” A blue dragon with four wings and strong arms and legs appeared. On its chest and on the top of its head were symbols resembling bio hazard signs (ATK: 1900). “I play ‘Double Summon’,” Jack continued, “and I tribute ‘Drago’ to summon my heaviest hitter, ‘Koa’ki Meiru Valafar’!”

The dragon gave way to a tall, humanoid demon with a body made of stone and molten rock, with spikes down his arms, legs and back, broad fiery wings, and the same symbol on its chest, arms and knees (ATK: 3000).

“If that’s the case,” said Shepherd lightheartedly, “I’ll defend myself with the Trap monster ‘Cyber Shadow Guardna’.”

A black robot shield made up of a flattened body and multiple bade-like wings appeared to face Jack's demon. The monster became a shadow, reforming into a paler-colored duplicate of ‘Valafar’, right down to his Attack points (ATK: 3000).

Jack ignored him, “I reveal ‘Iron Core of Koa’ki Meiru’ in my hand to activate ‘Core Denseness Compression’, letting me draw two cards.”

He drew and his smile widened, “I play ‘Kishido Spirit’. While this card is in play, my monsters aren’t destroyed in battle against a monster with the same Attack!” ‘Valafar’ was wreathed in a blue aura, “’Valafar’, attack!”

“Reveal,” said Shepherd, “the Trap card ‘Ultimate Offering’. I pay five hundred Life Points (4000-500=3500) and tribute my ‘Shadow Guardna’ to summon ‘Cyber Cannon’ in attack mode!

“When ‘Cyber Cannon’ is Normal Summoned,” Shepherd explained, “I can choose and destroy one monster on the field, and deal damage to its controller equal to half its attack.”

154661o.jpg

A simple robot tank with a cannon for an arm appeared (ATK: 0). It fired its cannon at ‘Valafar’, but the blast was deflected by a purple barrier.

“I activate ‘Shield Sphere’ from my hand,” said Jack.

154661k.jpg “This card prevents the destruction of my monster and ends the turn. I discard ‘Iron Core’ during the End Phase to keep ‘Valafar’ in play. Make your last move.”

“I draw,” said Shepherd, “and I activate ‘Polymerization’, fusing ‘Cyber Cannon’ on the field with ‘Cyber Ogre’ in my hand, summoning ‘Cyber Cannon Ogre’.”

A massive robotic ogre with massive claws appeared beside the cannon. The two merged together, forming a massive legless machine with a huge upper body, massive forearms, a cannon on each shoulder, and a much, much bigger cannon for a head (ATK: 1500).

“When ‘Cyber Cannon Ogre’ is Fusion Summoned,” Shepherd explained, “I select a monster on the field and destroy it, and deal damage to its controller equal to half its attack.

154661z.jpg I choose ‘Valafar’!”

‘Cyber Cannon Ogre’ fired its head cannon, blasting ‘Valafar’ apart.

“No!” cried Jack. ‘Ogre’ fired its shoulder cannons next, hitting jack directly (4000-1500=2500).

“Finally,” said Shepherd, “I attack, and I activate ‘Limiter Removal’, doubling the Attack of my monster.”

“No,” said Jack, “I can’t lose!”

Shepherd’s monster (ATK: 3000) blew away the last of Jack’s Life Points. Shepherd beamed, “It seems like maybe you can.”

As Shepherd’s monster faded away, Kagemaru said, “To answer Mr. Rollands’ question; that’s how.”

[spoiler=Chapter Three]

The First Days

After orientation, Karen and I moved ourselves into our rooms in opposite wings in the blue High Dorm. Then, over the course of the next few days, while we were waiting for classes to begin, Karen and I got to know our classmates, including the gray-eyed kid, Jack. He was incredibly arrogant, and overall too caught up in himself to succeed. Karen and I each defeated him once, and he left us alone after that.

I fought a few people from each dorm. There was some potential in High Dorm and Low Dorm, but the biggest challenges came from Mid Dorm, just as I’d assumed. My favorite duel with a Mid Dorm student came from a girl named Lisa. She was younger than most; only twelve years old. Her deck was one that used monsters that Duel Academy would see again many years later.

“I’ll start this off,” I said, looking over my hand. The majority of Yellow Dorm students used quick, stable decks like Beast Beat or Warrior Combo, so I expected to have a turn or two to set up a good defense. “I begin with ‘Soul Absorption’,” I began, “so that whenever a card is removed from the game, I gain five hundred Life Points. I’ll also set two cards and summon ‘Twin-Sword Marauder’.”

A warrior in a blue vest and blue pants, wearing a faceplate and helm and large shoulder armor, with a three-pointed sword strapped over each hand appeared at my side (ATK: 1600).

“If the best you can do is that monster,” said Lisa, pushing her curly blond bangs out of her gray-blue eyes, “then you’ve already lost. I play my key card, ‘Ojama Country’!” A grassy field replaced the walkway beneath our feet. A grassy hill appeared behind Lisa, blocking the nearby Mid Dorm from view. Small straw huts popped up all around us. Other students were beginning to take notice of the duel, saying things like “Look, Lisa’s about to rack up another win!” I realized then that I might be in trouble.

“I continue,” Lisa said, “with the Spell card ‘Graceful Charity’. I draw three cards, and then I send ‘Ojamuscle’ and ‘Ojama Blue’ to the Graveyard. But thanks to the effect of ‘Ojama country’, reviving my discarded monster is as simple as discarding ‘Ojamagic’.”

A small creature with a large head, blue in color, wearing Speedo briefs appeared (ATK: 0).

“Additionally,” Lisa continued, “because ‘Ojamagic’ was discarded, I get to search my deck for three more ‘Ojama’ monsters.”

Lisa searched, adding three cards to her hand.

“Finally,” said Lisa, “I summon ‘Ojama Red’.” A second creature, red in color, with bloodshot easy and a pointed head appeared (ATK: 0). “When ‘Ojama Red’ is summoned, I can summon ‘Ojama Yellow’, ‘Ojama Green’ and ‘Ojama Black from my hand as well.”

Three more figures appeared. One was green with one large yellow-orange eye, the second was black with a huge nose and mouth, and the third was yellow with full red lips and stalk eyes (ATK: 0 (each)).

“Because I control at least one ‘Ojama’ monster,” Lisa said, “the second effect of my ‘Ojama Country’ Field card activates and the Attack and Defense scores of every monster on the field are switched (ATK of the ‘Ojamas’: 1000 (each)/ATK of ‘Marauder’: 1000).

“I attack,” Lisa commanded, “with my ‘Ojama Blue’, destroying both your monster and mine.”

I understood my opponent’s plan. We were playing standard Japanese expert rules, which meant that we each had only four thousand Life Points. After destroying my ‘Marauder’, my opponent would have a clear path to my Life Points with her remaining four monsters. And I didn’t have any Traps that could stop her attacks.

I did, however, have another plan.

“I activate ‘Interdimensional Matter Transporter’ to remove my monster from play until the End Phase, avoiding your attack.”

A strange device made up of a lens surrounded by angular metallic fins. A beam from the lens swept over my monster and he disappeared.

“My Life Points increase,” I said (4000+500=4500).

“Still,” said Lisa, “all the better. Now I can attack directly with my monster’s instead.”

‘Ojama Blue’ lunged right at me, ready to strike.

“Reveal,” I countered, “the Trap card ‘Escape from the Dark Dimension’, summoning my monster back to the field.”

‘Marauder’ returned, blocking ‘Ojama Blue’’s attack. Both monsters were destroyed.

“When ‘Ojama Blue’ is destroyed,” Lisa said, “I search my deck for one ‘Ojama’ card. A card like ‘Ojama Delta Hurricane’. Now my remaining monsters attack.”

The red, yellow, black and green creature’s struck one after another (4500-(1000x4)=500).

I was astounded. “You’re good,” I said. I smiled, “But I’m sorry to say, I’m still gonna win.

“I play ‘Heavy Storm’,” I declared, and a massive vortex of wind kicked up, ripping the huts out of the ground. The Field card was ripped apart as well, and all holograms associated with it faded away. The Attack of the ‘Ojamas’ returned to normal.

“Now,” I said, “because you control two more monsters than me, I can special summon my favorite card, ‘The Fiend Megacyber’.” My warrior appeared, wearing his layered yellow armor panels, his fists readied, charged with yellow and black static (ATK: 2200).

“I equip my monster with the Spell card ‘Assault Armor’,” a white aura appeared around my monster, “and I release the armor to allow my monster to attack twice this turn.”

The white aura flared. “Attack,” I commanded, and my monster shot forward, punching ‘Ojama Yellow’ and ‘Ojama Black’. Both monsters were destroyed and my opponent’s Life Points fell (4000-(2200x2)=0).

The remaining ‘Ojamas’ disappeared along with my monster. “Good duel,” I said, shaking my opponent’s hand.

“Yeah,” Lisa replied, “you’re strong. Hopefully we’ll get to duel again sometime.”

Finally it was time for us to start taking classes. Karen put on her complete uniform, but I chose my black over shirt instead of my uniform jacket. I didn’t expect for anyone to care, at least not for the first day or so. Karen and I each received one of the new, sleeker Duel Disks like the one that Shepherd had used against Jack. I didn’t like the solid gray color of mine, so I used a bit of shadows to taint it black and darker gray, like my dark disk. If anyone saw it, they would just think that I’d painted it.

Karen and I made our way from High Dorm to the main building. I looked around. There were so many people gathered on this island. So many Duelists. And they were all strong in one way or another. Plus, I thought, if all of the professors are as strong as Shepherd, even I might be able to learn something here.

As we walked to the school, Karen and I compared schedules. Since she was taking card design and I was taking dueling, we would have very few classes together. The classes here were different than what I was used to. Duel Academy was, first and foremost, a Japanese school. At Duel Academy, in most cases at least, the teachers would travel from room to room, not the students. Karen and I would start out together in Duel Monsters 101, and then, afterwards, she and the other card design students would split off and join the appropriate groups elsewhere. We wouldn’t see each other again until lunch, and then not again until classes let out for the day.

It’ll be weird, I thought. Karen and I have barely spent any of our free time apart in three months, and now we’ll only be together a few hours a day.

We arrived in the classroom, ready for Duel Monsters 101. I didn’t know whether or not to laugh at that. After all, what was there about Duel Monsters that I didn’t already know? I was one of the strongest Duelists alive! It was embarrassing that I was being forced to participate in something so ridiculous. But I had no choice. This school was my ticket to a career as a tournament Duelist. I’d have to suck it up.

The first class ended. I’d dozed off for awhile about two thirds of the way through, only waking up again toward the end, when Karen realized that I was sleeping and elbowed me in the ribs. The teacher, an elderly woman whose name I don’t remember, was giving her lecture in a droning monotone when the bell interrupted her. She was a boring woman, suited to teaching the schools most boring subject. Despite the subject matter, I noticed that Karen had managed to keep detailed notes. I was impressed.

The teacher packed up her things and headed to her next classroom. Karen gathered her things as well. On her way out the door, the teacher announced that all design students were to move on to their next classes.

“That’s me,” said Karen, standing up and swinging her bag over her shoulder. She leaned in and gave me a quick kiss on the cheek, “I’ll see you at lunch.” She was gone before I could respond.

Huh, I thought. I wonder if she could be any more enthusiastic.

Several students went to buy drinks and use the bathroom before the next class started. I leaned back, trying to recapture sweet unconsciousness, but before I could, I heard someone.

“Hey!”

I was startled fully awake. I looked around and found myself face to face with the smiling face of the sandy-haired, green-eyed boy from the entry duels. Like me, he had opted to wear a portion of his own wardrobe, his yellow flame-decal shirt, under his yellow and white jacket. He was leaning over the seats directly behind me.

“Hey,” I said, “I saw you at the entry duels. You’re good.”

“And I saw you on TV at the Grand Championship. Your name’s John. You’re good too.” He jumped the seats and landed in a sitting position in the seat right next to me. “My name’s Thomas,” he announced. Then he looked right at me and asked, “So, have you heard of the Card Takers?”

“Card Takers?” I asked, worried that this kid was going to try to recruit me into some club.

“Yeah,” he said. “You know the bridge over the river? The one by Low Dorm?”

“Yeah.”

“Well,” Thomas said, “I heard from some of the guys in my dorm that a pair of Duelists who call themselves the Card Takers wait at the bridge every night. They’re supposed to be the strongest Duelists on the island! Anyone can duel them, but there’s a catch.”

The next teacher, a young man in glasses, had already arrived and begun speaking, but I was much more interested in what Thomas had to say, “And that would be?”

“In order to duel a Card Taker,” Thomas explained, “you have to be willing to risk what makes you a duelist. You have to ante your favorite card against theirs. I’m gonna go see if this thing’s for real tonight. Wanna come?” His face was alight, primed for the coming excitement.

I smiled wide, but then I purposefully shifted my expression to one of arrogant thoughtfulness, “Let’s see, sleep, or prove myself against some hotshots who steal cards? You bet I do.”

I was acting cheery, and to an extent I was, but I also wanted to find these guys for another reason. If these guys really are taking the favorite card from the Duelists that they defeat, I thought, then I have to beat them and get those cards back. No Duelist should be without his favorite card.

[spoiler=Chapter Four]

Challenge of the Card Takers

That night, after dark, I grabbed my deck and my new Duel Disk and made my way toward the bridge near Low Dorm, Karen and Thomas in tow.

“Are you sure this is a smart idea?” Karen asked.

“Sure,” I said. “These guys are taking cards from students, so they must be good. I could use a descent challenge. Besides, I can’t just sit back and let them keep a bunch of Duelists’ favorite cards. I have to try and get those cards back.”

“I don’t care why you wanna duel them,” said Thomas with a big smile on his face. “I just want to see the famous American Duelist who won the second Grand Championship in a duel in person!”

Karen ignored him and asked, “You aren’t going to take their cards if you win, are you?”

“Nah,” I replied. “Like I said, I’m just in this for the challenge.”

“And to get the stolen cards back, right?” Karen asked.

“Yeah,” I said, “definitely.”

“This is gonna be awesome!” said Thomas, almost skipping along. He skipped up from behind me and began walking directly at my side and asked, “What’s the deal with these pendants you guys wear?”

I was taken aback. If he was asking, it meant that, either he was really curious, or he knew something about the Shadow Games and suspected that the Duelist’s Souls were connected. So far, Thomas didn’t seem to be a very serious person, so I took a gamble that it was the former rather than the latter.

“When Karen and I started going out, we bought matching necklaces,” I replied, lying to protect the secret of the Duelist’s Souls.

“Are you sure?” Thomas asked, a mischievous grim playing across his face. “Because I thought they might be magic artifacts.”

I was a bit shocked, but I hid it as I replied, “What do you mean?”

“I did see the Grand Championship,” Thomas said, “and the Duel Force tournament. I know that every member of your team wears those things, not just you two. It’s cool. I can see Duel Monster spirits, and I can tell who else can. If they see them using an artifact, I can tell that too. You aren’t the first person I’ve met with a magic item. I’m not gonna tell anyone, if that’s what you’re worried about. I figure it’s your business, you know?”

Karen was chuckling, “I like this kid.”

“So that’s why you’re so heroic, huh,” Thomas asked, “you’re some kind of super heroes?”

Karen laughed again, “Oh please don’t feed his ego. It’s already big enough.”

“Quiet guys,” I said, “and stay alert. That’s the bridge strait ahead.”

Karen and Thomas followed my gaze. Sure enough, there was the bridge, barely visible in the darkness. There was a grove of trees just off to the side.

“What now?” Karen whispered.

“I dunno,” I replied in a whisper as well. “Thomas, what do I do now?”

“Go stand on the bridge and wait,” he answered. “One of them will show up soon enough. At least that’s what I’ve heard.”

I nodded, and I made my way up to stand on the end of the bridge closest to me. Almost as soon as I had, a figure emerged from the trees at the opposite side. He was wearing khakis, a white shirt, and a long-tailed tan coat. He wore an Academy Duel Disk on his left wrist. He remained far enough away that a large part his face remained shrouded in shadows, obscuring his features.

“You here to challenge the card takers?” he asked.

“I am.”

“Then present your favorite card,” the figured demanded. “The winner of this duel will receive his opponent’s favorite card as a reward.”

“I present ‘The Fiend Megacyber’,” I said. I held the card up for my opponent to see.

“And I present ‘Freed the Brave Wanderer’-.”

“Forget that,” I said. “I don’t want your card. If I win, you give back all the cards you’ve won. Return them to their original owners.”

The figure smiled and looked over his shoulder. A second figure emerged. He was a few inches shorter than the first, about my height, wearing a dark gray t-shirt, a brown over shirt, and dark blue jeans. “I was wondering when you would show up,” he said. “You’re John, right? Leader of the Duel Force?”

“Yeah,” I answered, beaming with pride.

“The same John of the Duel Force who defeated Yami, the leader if the Duelists of the Order of the Divine Cards?” he asked.

For the second time in ten minutes, I was shocked by another person’s knowledge. “How do you know about that?” I demanded. It occurred to me that these two might themselves be Order agents. I summoned darkness into my new Duel Disk, transforming it into a sleeker, collapsible version of the sword-like Dark Disk, causing Thomas to gasp.

“Calm down,” said the first figure. “We’ve had some dealings with the Order is all. We were grateful when you beat Yami. When he was defeated, everyone under his influence was freed, including us.”

“We’ve wanted to test ourselves against the Duelist who defeated Yami for years,” the second figure said. “When we heard that that Duelist was here, enrolled in Duel Academy, we created a situation where his heroic personality would bring him right to us in our own version of a Shadow Game. It may not use magic, but it has consequences.”

I concentrated, and the Soul of Darkness flashed black-light purple. The Soul says they’re telling the truth, I thought, but it also says that they’re still hiding something. I need to be careful.

I guess its about time I met some of Marik’s former minions, I reasoned. It was bound to happen eventually.

“Are we going to duel or not,” I demanded, activating my Neo Dark Disk.

“Of course we are,” said the first figure, “but if you want us to return all of the cards we won, you’ll have to defeat us both, one after another. We duel with eight thousand Life Points.”

“Fine by me on all counts,” I said. “Now let’s get started. I summon one of my newest monsters, the demonic rider, ‘Stygian Street Patrol’.” A demon in black armor, riding a white and black motorcycle with a demonic face on the front appeared. The headlights of the motorcycle began flashing like police lights (ATK: 1600).

“And I finish up with a face-down card. Go ahead and take your turn, but I’ve already got this duel won.”

I was confident. I had underestimated my opponent, I just didn’t know it yet.

“For my turn,” my opponent announced, “I activate the Spell card ‘Solar Recharge’, discarding ‘Ehren, Lightsworn Monk’ to draw two cards, and send the top two cards of my deck to the Graveyard.” I watched with interest as my opponent discarded a monster that, as far as I could tell in the dark, was ‘Jenis, Lightsworn Mender’, as well as a Spell card, ‘Charge of the Light Brigade’.

Lightsworns, is it? I thought. I don’t know much about the rare Lightsworn archetype, except that almost every card in it mills your own deck. They’re strong, but very risky.

“Next,” My opponent declared, “I activate the Spell card ‘Foolish Burial’, discarding ‘Wulf, Lightsworn Beast’ from my deck. ‘Wulf’ has an effect. When he’s discarded directly from my deck, he’s then Special Summoned to the field.”

A white-furred werewolf wearing silver armor appeared, carrying a long-handled axe. He roared (ATK: 2100).

“I’ll also summon ‘Jain, Lightsworn Paladin’.” A knight in silvery armor appeared, carrying a sword, standing at ‘Wulf’’s side (ATK: 1800).

“’Wulf’ attacks,” my opponent declared, and the werewolf raised his axe and charged.

“Reveal,” I commanded, “face-down Trap card ’Dimensional Prison’, removing your monster from the game.”

The space in front of the rampaging werewolf opened up, and he fell into it, disappearing from play.

“I attack with ‘Jain’,” my opponent declared. “When ‘Jain’ attacks, he gains three hundred Attack during the damage step (ATK: 1800+300=2100).” “’Jain’ slashed with his sword, sending a pulse through my monster, splitting it in half, motorcycle and all (8000+1600-2100=7500).

“I set two cards,” my opponent declared, “and end my turn. During the End Phase, the effect of ‘Jain’ activates, sending the top two cards from my deck to my Graveyard.” My opponent discarded two more cards. I couldn’t make out what they were. As far as I was concerned, it didn’t matter. It was my turn again, and everything was going according to plan.

“I draw,” I declared. “Now watch. I can remove ‘Stygian Street Patrol’ in my Graveyard from play to Special Summon any Fiend monster with two thousand or less Attack from my hand. The monster I choose to Special Summon is ‘Diskblade Rider’.”

A green-skinned fiend in blue armor and padding appeared, riding a motorcycle, carrying a sharp-edged disk in his free hand (ATK: 1700).

“But I’m not finished,” I continued. “I activate the Spell card ‘One for One’. I discard ‘Chaosrider Gustaph’ to Special Summon a Level One monster from my deck.”

I fanned out my deck, chose a card, and placed it on my Duel Disk. “Show yourself, ‘Level Eater’!” A beetle roughly the size of a beagle appeared. Its shell was colored like a Level Star from a Duel Monsters card. It opened its wings and rose into the air, hovering at my motorcyclist’s side (ATK: 600).

“I tribute both of my monsters,” I continued, “to summon a legendary card; the ‘Red-Eyes Black Dragon’!”

‘Diskblade Rider’ and ‘Level Eater’ disappeared, and were replaced by a large, fierce black dragon with piercing red eyes (ATK: 2400).

I smiled, “My monster puts yours to shame. ‘Red-Eyes’, destroy the ‘Lightsworn Paladin’ with Black Fire Bullet!”

My monster launched a fireball from its mouth at the opponent’s monster.

“From my hand,” my opponent declared, “I activate the effect of ‘Honest’. I send ‘Honest’ from my hand to my Graveyard to increase my monster’s Attack by an amount equal to the opposing monster’s Attack.”

An angelic warrior appeared, fading away. As he did, ‘Jain’ was wreathed in a brilliant light. Wings made of rainbow light spouted from his back. He rose into the air and shot strait through the oncoming attack (1800+2400=4200). He flew forward and slashed through my dragon (7500+2400-4200=5700).

“One clever move isn’t enough to win this,” I said. “Your monster’s Attack returns to normal at the End Phase. And my monster’s not finished. He’s about to come back for seconds. I reveal ‘Call of the Haunted’ to return my monster to the field in attack position.”

“Reveal face-down card,” my opponent countered, “’Solemn Judgment’. I pay half of my Life Points to negate the summoning of your monster and send him back where he belongs (8000/2=4000).”

The black dragon disappeared in a flash of light. For the first time during the duel, I didn’t have any moves prepared. I wasn’t sure what to do.

“Now,” my opponent declared, “I activate ‘Pot of Greed’ to draw two cards.” He looked over his new hand and continued, “I set a card, and then I reveal the Trap card ‘Beckoning Light’. I discard the four ‘Lightsworn’ monsters making up my hand to return four monsters in my Graveyard to my hand. With four ‘Lightsworns’ in my Grave, I can finally Special Summon one of the monsters that I just recovered, and the strongest monster that the ‘Lightsworn’ archetype has to offer.”

There was an explosion of light, erupting into the sky behind my opponent. From the light emerged a massive dog-nosed dragon with four strong legs and broad wings. Its body was covered in white feathers. “Behold,” my opponent cried, “the almighty ‘Judgment Dragon’ (ATK: 3000)!”

I was speechless. I couldn’t take my eyes off of the dragon and its magnificent aura of light.

“Finally,” my opponent said, “I reveal my face-down card, ‘Megamorph’, doubling my monster’s size and strength!”

The dragon grew even larger (ATK: 3000x2=6000).

I can’t believe this…

“’Judgment Dragon’, attack.”

I can’t believe this, I thought as the dragon inhaled, light building in the back of his throat, I lost. I actually lost.

The dragon exhaled, bathing me in a destructive light. My Life Points fell to zero and I fell to my knees.

My opponent walked up and stood right in front of me. “I think you have something of mine,” he said.

Reluctantly, I removed ‘The Fiend Megacyber’ from my deck and handed it to him. Then I watched as the Card Takers disappeared into the shadows of the nearby forest.

Further chapters begin on page two, post #38

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hiro, from what I see chapter one looks unfinished.

Maybe a glitch or something?

This is probbaly what you want:

[spoiler=Chapter One]

The Entry Exam

There are times in everyone’s lives when they realize that they are somewhere that they shouldn’t be. I’m no exception. I’m John, a Duelist who held the World Championship for a year, led the best known Duel Monsters team in North America, and who was invited by Seto Kaiba himself to attend the dueling school Duel Academy, and yet here I was, being forced to take the entrance exams just like everyone else. I watched as my monster, a warrior wearing layered yellow armor, ‘The Fiend Megacyber’, was destroyed by the ‘Axe of Despair’ wielded by my opponent’s monster; a four-armed werewolf called ‘Gene-Warped Warwolf’ (ATK: 2000+1000=3000).

My Life Points dropped (4000+2200-3000=3200). I scowled as I looked around the room, from the hologram of my face-down card, to the other duels taking place around me. I was inside a large open building with the outlines of eight duel arenas marked on the floor, spread evenly a

Even so the chapter is cut off mid sentence, I'm afrid this does not bode well for you.

odd. i'll repost it and see what happens. i know it was working when i put it up.

fixed. must have been a glitch like you said

[spoiler=Card of the Day (Chapter One)]

FlameSpiritIgnisLODT-EN-R-1E.png

This card may be weak in initial ATK, but in the right deck it has potential to deal massive damage outside of battle.

Next Chapter Orientation

When a student makes a scene at orientation, it's up to the schools best professor to put him in his place.

chapter two is up.

[spoiler=Card of the Day (Chapter Two) ]

154661c.jpg

Today's card is an original card used by Professor Shepherd. Not much of Shepherd's deck was shown in the anime, so I'm planning on having some fun with his deck here. "Cyber Ogre" is still his main card, but his deck will be expanded using several original and preexisting cards.

Next Chapter The First Days

John and Karen begin taking classes at the academy.

• 2 weeks later...

chapter three is up. it's mostly a plot building chapter, so don't expect a huge amount of excitement.

[spoiler=Card of the Day]

OjamaCountryRGBT-EN-R-1E.png

This card is a largely overlooked card, despite the fact that it is very powerful. It directly supports the "Ojama" archetype, one that can be either very weak or very strong.

Next Chapter Challenge of the Card Takers

John, Thomas and Karen confront the Card Takers

chapter four is up. john confronts the card takers, who aren't quite the villains that he originally thought. still, what they are doing is wrong, and john plans on setting them right.

[spoiler=Card of the Day]

JudgmentDragonLODT-EN-ScR-1E.png

"Judgment Dragon" is without a doubt one of the strongest and most feared cards in the game. If you can survive its attack, its effect could very well finish you off, or at least turn the game around in your opponent's favor, leaving you in a position where it's impossible to recover the lead. It is, however, equally damaging to your opponent the smaller his deck gets, and is therefore a risk to every Duelist involved in the duel.

Next Chapter Re-evaluation

john must rethink his entire attitude before he's forced to give up dueling forever.

...and John will develop his character the following chapters' date=' before seeking revenge by defeating the card takers!

I'm surprised you let the villains use Lightsworns instead of one of the main characters. Nice chapter.

[/quote']

you go it ;)

but john's too far gone to figure things out on his own. his arrogance is too great. he needs help. you'll be surprised who it is that helps him.

Archived