past or present?

I hope this is in the right section.

Years ago, yugioh cards looked better in my opinion. Some still look epic, and others are clearly lacking. I know the difference between a good card and a bad card, but the card pic is still kinda important. I'm gonna post 2 cards, one clearly better than the other in most aspects of play. But I want to see if the pics compare; if the older one has a better pic then the newer one. If it does, than why don't they start making cards that look kind of like that, and give it a cool effect?

SoulHunterB05-JP-C.jpg

Name: Soul Hunter

Type: Fiend/Fusion

Attribute: Dark

ATK/DEF: 2200/1800

Card Text: "Lord of the Lamp" + "Invader from Another Dimension"

DarkGrepherPTDN-EN-ScR-1E.png

Again, we all know Dark Grepher is better than Soul Hunter. I am simply comparing pics. So, which one is better?

Mhm, it's really more a matter of opinion. In my eyes, the art quality's actually increased a fair bit, but they seemed to forget exactly how to make a background that doesn't suck.

I mean, just look at the detailing on each cards. Soul hunter is a bunch of wavy lines, a rather ordinary looking dragon, and a mannequin with boring looking shoulder pads.

Dark Grepher, on the other hand, has well-detailed musculature, excellent shading, and is wearing a set of the most creepy bondage overalls I've ever seen, decorated with slight spikes on the side, contrasting colors, what appears to be a chastity belt, and bears a rather impressive Slasher Smile.

All in all, the only thing Soul Hunter has over Dark Grepher pic-wise, is a matching background that doesn't make him look like he was cut and pasted from another card entirely.

It depends on what card, not every new card is going to look better than the old ones and vice verca. TC picked a hideous card from the new ones as grepher's head is bent just to fit in the picture and even then his head is touching the border and in the center which is bad placement. But if you look at armageddon knight he has a much better pose and design.

It depends on what card' date=' not every new card is going to look better than the old ones and vice verca. TC picked a hideous card from the new ones as grepher's head is bent just to fit in the picture and even then his head is touching the border and in the center which is bad placement. But if you look at armageddon knight he has a much better pose and design.

[/quote']

I kinda like the head bend, it makes him look insane. I agree it's bad placement though- also, what the hell's with that white outline around him?

I still think he looks better than Soul Hunter though.

All new art has muscle and armor. On some monsters, that looks fine. On cards like RDA, I would rather see a realistic dragon, as opposed to a steroid-popping one. On a related note, more cards are centered on human or humanoid creatures. What happened to classical monsters?

Detailing has improved, but at the cost of everything looking like an armored warrior. Konami should retire the Warrior and Spellcaster types for a set or two, and get back to the game's roots.

Some of the old art overshadows the new, and Vice-versa. Though i personally think that they're almost equal.

A demonic clown riding a dragon vs. a demonic warrior caught in the middle of a dark transformation is a pretty tough decision. Though if any Type has the best artwork it's fiends.

All new art has muscle and armor. On some monsters' date=' that looks fine. On cards like RDA, I would rather see a realistic dragon, as opposed to a steroid-popping one. On a related note, more cards are centered on human or humanoid creatures. What happened to classical monsters?

[/quote']

I miss when yugimanz didn't like anthro.

Some of the old art overshadows the new' date=' and Vice-versa. Though i personally think that they're almost equal.

A demonic clown riding a dragon vs. a demonic warrior caught in the middle of a dark transformation is a pretty tough decision. Though if any Type has the best artwork it's fiends.

[/quote']

I regret choosing pics that are so different. I should have compared soul hunter to a card that looked a little bit like it, maybe something like Paladin of White Dragon. But I wanted to choose 2 fiends. Oh well.

That's unfair. Your comparing an OCG only card to a Secret Rare staple. They refined the art better on the newer cards' date=' but are wasting their resources on bad cards when they could just put the art on a 1900 Beatstick and make it a viable card for most decks.

[/quote']

That's my point exactly. To compare a card that sucked and a card that's vakue and see which one looked better. And to raise a point that they should use pics like this for future cards. I could have picked something like DAD or a Gladiator Beast which already look good; I chose Grepher on purpose.

Archived