I just figured out the simplest way to fix the game.

Ban everything in PTDN and everything released since PTDN.

This leads to massive collateral damage and a boatload of perfectly balanced cards being banned. On the other hand, it also removes virtually all of the largest problems, since everything changed so drastically once DAD was released.

Also, 2007 was vastly superior to everything that happened since 2007.

Nevertheless' date=' it's worth mentioning that just because a large number of guilty culprits are from PTDN and later doesn't mean ALL cards PTDN and post-PTDN are unacceptable.

[/quote']

True, but this solves the problem of squabbling over where exactly the problem is and whether the Synchro mechanic's problems come from Synchro Monsters or Tuner Monsters or some combination and which ones and which Lightlords can stay legal and so on and so forth. It's crude and inelegant with a massive cost, but it is doubtlessly effective and is guaranteed to solve the problem.

At least Konami has realised that Generic Synchros aren't the way to go anymore. All the newer Synchros aren't generic and now require specific Tuners or non-Tuners. Too bad they realised after 1 and a half years since the release of The Duelist Genesis.

Really, the only Synchro Monster(s) that should be generic is possibly Gaia Knight and Naturia Gaodrake

At least Konami has realised that Generic Synchros aren't the way to go anymore. All the newer Synchros aren't generic and now require specific Tuners or non-Tuners. Too bad they realised after 1 and a half years since the release of The Duelist Genesis.

Really' date=' the only Synchro Monster(s) that should be generic is possibly Gaia Knight and Naturia Gaodrake

[/quote']

Eh, I wouldn't mind a fewer of the other weaker ones being generic.

My biggest problem is that far too many Synchros generate a good amount of card advantage, making the -1 cost of Synchro Summoning even more irrelevant than it already was by virtue of most Synchro Material Monsters being floaters.

Guest Chaos Pudding

Sure, it would be simple, but it would also be mindless. Isn't that what we're trying to work against?

And in any case, I would prefer YGO to be more like MtG in that it is built in block format, with the cards being designed around working together in blocks, and less about being able to compete against power creep.

Nevertheless' date=' it's worth mentioning that just because a large number of guilty culprits are from PTDN and later doesn't mean ALL cards PTDN and post-PTDN are unacceptable.

[/quote']

True, but this solves the problem of squabbling over where exactly the problem is and whether the Synchro mechanic's problems come from Synchro Monsters or Tuner Monsters or some combination and which ones and which Lightlords can stay legal and so on and so forth. It's crude and inelegant with a massive cost, but it is doubtlessly effective and is guaranteed to solve the problem.

But it's still crude and inelegant with a massive cost and leaves us with curious means of what to do for any future sets, do we just end the game entirely? Would that be a good idea? If we're not to comb through sets and meticulously select which cards are causing the problems, we might as well.

I, for one, have grown awfully fond of this game over time and haven't invested in other TCGs like your good self with your highbrow Magic. What would us "crude and inelegant" folk do once you killed the future of our equally "crude and inelegant" game? Would we then take out Magic too once a slightly questionably balanced set came along?

Much better to squabble over where the problem is. Just sayin'.

I' date=' for one, have grown awfully fond of this game over time and haven't invested in other TCGs like your good self with your highbrow Magic. What would us "crude and inelegant" folk do once you killed the future of our equally "crude and inelegant" game? Would we then take out Magic too once a slightly questionably balanced set came along?

[/quote']

MtG has 10+ different formats, all popular. The main one rotates, so nothing 2 years old or older is allowed.

Yeah, good luck pulling something like that in MtG. Bad argument. :(

I' date=' for one, have grown awfully fond of this game over time and haven't invested in other TCGs like your good self with your highbrow Magic. What would us "crude and inelegant" folk do once you killed the future of our equally "crude and inelegant" game? Would we then take out Magic too once a slightly questionably balanced set came along?

[/quote']

MtG has 10+ different formats, all popular. The main one rotates, so nothing 2 years old or older is allowed.

Yeah, good luck pulling something like that in MtG. Bad argument. :(

Don't underestimate the powers of irrationality to ruin everything in seconds.

[/quote']

But it's still crude and inelegant with a massive cost and leaves us with curious means of what to do for any future sets, do we just end the game entirely? Would that be a good idea? If we're not to comb through sets and meticulously select which cards are causing the problems, we might as well.

I, for one, have grown awfully fond of this game over time and haven't invested in other TCGs like your good self with your highbrow Magic. What would us "crude and inelegant" folk do once you killed the future of our equally "crude and inelegant" game? Would we then take out Magic too once a slightly questionably balanced set came along?

Much better to squabble over where the problem is. Just sayin'.

...since when do I play Magic?

I do play Dominion, though. That game is awesome. If Dominion were a Yugimonz format, it would be 2007 because 2007 rocked.

Archived