Side Decks

Without Side Decks, the rock-paper-scissors element of the game becomes stronger. Side Decks allow Deck A to stand a better chance against Deck B even if Deck A is normally weak against Deck B (such as if, for example, Deck A is something based on the Graveyard, be it Zombies or Phantom Beasts, and Deck B is Macro). Removing this damages the game.

The problem is that Konami's degenerate card design has produced many cards that are utterly useless in most situations but that can, sided against the correct opposing deck, cripple every last one of the opponent's cards. Konami started down this path back when they made the Type-Specific Dark Holes like Warrior Elimination and has gotten worse as time has passed, producing nonsense like Holy Light, Deck Lightdown, and the Imprisoning Mirrors. The result is that a player with an appropriate Side Deck will in Games 2 and 3 of a match be capable of running at the very least a de facto Raigeki. If a problem exists, the problem lies not in the Side Deck mechanic but in Konami's idiotic card design.

the problem lies not in the Side Deck mechanic but in Konami's idiotic card design.

And at the rate were going' date=' Konami is bound to make something like:

-Quick-Play Spell-

Destroy all "Lightsworn" monsters on the field. For each monster destroyed by this effect, add 1 "Blackwing" monster from your deck or Graveyard to your hand. Draw 2 cards.

But in today's meta' date=' pretty much everyone's sidedeck is the same.

Counter GB cards

Counter LS cards

Imprisoning Mirrors

Extra cards sideable into deck

It's like EVERYONE is Netsidedecking.

[/quote']

Yeah Coz this allows weaker decks to stand a chance against those decks in particular...This is good coz those are the most used decks anyways...

Who the hell uses a side deck

Sig'd.

Also: 99.99999999999999999999999999999% of competetive players.

Correction. Anyone that isn't a complete moron uses a side-deck. Even my slightly retarded rock throwing cousin (there's a thread about it somewhere a few months back...but anyway, I really do have one) runs a side-deck.

I got a lulzy idea for a side-deck based Deck now.

-Make a Deck with 25 cards.

-Add 15 more with a Strategy that is good enough.

-Add 15 more with a fairly different strategy but that can benefit from the remaining 25 cards previewsly chosen. Just like the other 15 are supposed to.

-During the second Duel of the Match, when your opponent side Decks against your Deck, you exchange those key 15 cards, changing your Deck so that their side Decking becomes useless.

I'm not even sure if that would work but sounds funny..

-Add 15 more with a fairly different strategy but that can benefit from the remaining 25 cards previewsly chosen. Just like the other 15 are supposed to.

-During the second Duel of the Match' date=' when your opponent side Decks against your Deck, you exchange those key 15 cards, changing your Deck so that their side Decking becomes useless.

[/quote']

It's not a new concept.

It works, but only for some decks, like swapping between Exodia and Magical Explosion.

-During the second Duel of the Match' date=' when your opponent side Decks against your Deck, you exchange those key 15 cards, changing your Deck so that their side Decking becomes useless.

[/quote']

That style of side deck is hardly a new idea; in fact, it used to be reasonably common to side between Macro Monarchs and Perfect Circle Monarchs / Twilight Circle, or between DDT and Explosion FTK. It's just not as useful in modern formats.

Sig'd.

Correction. Anyone that isn't a complete moron uses a side-deck. Even my slightly retarded rock throwing cousin (there's a thread about it somewhere a few months back...but anyway' date=' I really do have one) runs a side-deck.

[/quote']

I dont use side deck......

And Im not a moron......

So....That logic doesnt count

Sig'd.

Correction. Anyone that isn't a complete moron uses a side-deck. Even my slightly retarded rock throwing cousin (there's a thread about it somewhere a few months back...but anyway' date=' I really do have one) runs a side-deck.

[/quote']

I dont use side deck......

And Im not a moron......

So....That logic doesnt count

not gonna say it.

I actually didn't use a side deck myself until the 15 or 0 rules got removed.

I never used all 15 slots, and I don't like to throw in random cards just to fill it

I've never been in the need of a side Deck, I play casually, rarely have I entered a tournament, my hands shake when I do. My Decks are fairly good but again, some of my opponents don't even care when their Life hits 0, most of the time they can never gain back control of the duel either way xD

I assumed I couldn't be the only one thinking that idea but I didn't expect to hear it was common O_o ...... I actually just thought of that since I started caring for Side Decks a little more a while ago.

I'll try to see if I can adjust it to some other Deck. xD

Archived