I feel like discussing a hypothetical set of rules.

Would these rules be more fun/encourage more skill?

#1 Victory by LP is no longer applicable.

#2 When you have 6* cards more than your opponent when counting those in the hand/on the field combined, you win the duel

#3 For each threshold of 2000* damage you take, you discard 1 random card**.

*note - the numbers 6 and 2000 here could possibly change.

** note - the discard could be replaced with your opponent drawing a card

Of course, it'd have its own banlist.

What do people here think of an advantage-based format?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "search by battle" cards would be meta' date=' as would monarchs. <_<

[/quote']

Explain why. They protect advantage loss through battle, but won't stop me from removing them some other way and making a standard play involving LP hitting.

Also, would this be good/bad?

lolojamagic

... is that banable here? I think it might be...

Guest PikaPerson01

[/quote']

Explain why. They protect advantage loss through battle, but won't stop me from removing them some other way and making a standard play involving LP hitting.

Removing through some other way would be a 1-for-1, and a standard play doesn't inflict LP damage if in defense mode.

Ojama Red gives no more advantage here than in the normal game =/

[/quote']

Removing through some other way would be a 1-for-1, and a standard play doesn't inflict LP damage if in defense mode.

Yes. A 1-4-1 THEN some standard play to hit directly.

They provide no more protection than they do in the current TCG.

Either way, I'd like people to comment upon the overall idea and such rather than individual broken cards that would probably just end up listed anyway.

CotH...o.0

2 cards in one. o.0

Dust Tornado' 2nd effect becomes fun.

Syncrho monsters will die a little

Heavy Storm is just..amazing.

Lava Dragon becomes cool

Same for Marauding Captain

Gladiator Beasts begin to dominate again

Return from the different demension...Do I even have to say anything?

Junk Syncrhon + effect + Quilbolt Hedgehog becomes pro

Mirror of Oaths becomes...great o.0

Ultimate Tyranno makes a comeback

What happens if I play Spatial Collapse?

Brain Control can be a halarious way to end a duel

Hysteric Party...is amazing....it's already one card, then you get up tp 5 monsters with it. (Harpie Lady 1, 2, 3, and normal harpie lady)

A format in which one could easily enough have 6 more cards than their opponent as to have games be winnable to a fair degree would be tremendously broken by the fact that one could have 6 more cards than the opponent that easily.

In a fair format, having 6 more cards than an opponent would occur once in a blue moon and couldn't possibly be considered a win condition. This format with the numbers 6 and 2000 where they are is the equivalent to only being able to win by dealing 12000 more damage than your opponent has dealt, assuming there'd be no cap on damage-dealing and life points again only applied for total damage dealt. In any case, being able to stack not just 12000 up but 12000 MORE than your opponent would be a problem format. Once we banned all the cards like Rekindling and Scapegoat that make this too easy, we've got an unwinnable format.

Oh, and would you be able to draw every time you'd gain 2000 Life Points? Or are we just totally ignoring any cure methods?

A format in which one could easily enough have 6 more cards than their opponent as to have games be winnable to a fair degree would be tremendously broken by the fact that one could have 6 more cards than the opponent that easily.

I can do it with Volcanic Gadgets reasonably often.

In a fair format' date=' having 6 more cards than an opponent would occur once in a blue moon and couldn't possibly be considered a win condition. [b']Well then, either change the number or work with strategies that gain advantage more than what you currently use.[/b] This format with the numbers 6 and 2000 where they are is the equivalent to only being able to win by dealing 12000 more damage than your opponent has dealt, assuming there'd be no cap on damage-dealing and life points again only applied for total damage dealt. Uh... because the only advantage gain possible is discarding, destroying/removing cards and drawing are not viable advantage methods. Yeah...

Oh, and would you be able to draw every time you'd gain 2000 Life Points? Or are we just totally any cure methods?

I haven't thought of rules for Cure yet.

I see this proposed format as having an overall problem of failing to distinguish between pure, literal advantage and advantage that is actually useful. You can dismiss some cards, like Scapegoat and Ojamagic, as special cases that can be dealt with via a custom banlist, but the end result of pursuing this sort of idea is that cheap +1's that would normally be utterly useless gain disproportionate levels of power.

Still, the idea is a very interesting one.

I have the feeling these rules would kill the oportunity of having more variety of card effects. Burning Decks would not do enouth damage to recover the advantage lost, healing effects would become completely useless, Rituals, Synchros and Fusions (which are usually "minus" when Summoned).

Although we still would have Deck out, Instant Victory effects, and the Card advantage as viable options. I think Deck Out Decks might actually improve a little since LP wont matter that much for them and will concentrate on what they do.

hmmmm.... interesting. (Crystal Beasts FTW)

I see this proposed format as having an overall problem of failing to distinguish between pure' date=' literal advantage and advantage that is actually useful. You can dismiss some cards, like Scapegoat and Ojamagic, as special cases that can be dealt with via a custom banlist, but the end result of pursuing this sort of idea is that cheap +1's that would normally be utterly useless gain disproportionate levels of power.

[/quote']

There's a lot of truth in this, but +1s that don't actually help you would probably end up with your monsters dieing and your LP taking hits until the useless advantage is just lost again anyway. Controlling play still seems to be an important aspect.

And thank you for actually discussing the concept instead of single cards in here.

I see this proposed format as having an overall problem of failing to distinguish between pure' date=' literal advantage and advantage that is actually useful. You can dismiss some cards, like Scapegoat and Ojamagic, as special cases that can be dealt with via a custom banlist, but the end result of pursuing this sort of idea is that cheap +1's that would normally be utterly useless gain disproportionate levels of power.

[/quote']

There's a lot of truth in this, but +1s that don't actually help you would probably end up with your monsters dieing and your LP taking hits until the useless advantage is just lost again anyway. Controlling play still seems to be an important aspect.

In the long run, junk +1's will certainly lead to loss, and in the meantime they will not allow the player to do much of anything. However, since this rule system doesn't require the player to ever actually do anything to the opponent, there is not necessarily a long run or a need to do anything to the opponent. All the player needs to do is consolidate enough non-power to win before the worthlessness of that player's cards leads to defeat.

In the real game, OTK/FTK decks tend to run large numbers of relatively nonproductive cards and burn their hands away inflicting damage, but incurring a -6 is fine for these decks because they in doing so win the game and thus don't need to worry about what will happen next turn. I envision something similar happening in this format: at best, abuse of cards like the Crystal Beasts that pull shenanigans with card advantage, and at worst, an entire breed of neo-FTK decks whose purpose is to give themselves a +5 before the opponent's turn can begin.

With a banlist aimed at dealing with this sort of thing, though, I can definitely see this as an interesting ruleset.

Archived