Beginner Guide to YCM [Updated 11/4/11]

Anti-Apocryphal

jq737q.png

Yeah, I know, there are already a million of these, but I feel that those don't go into as much detail, and over time, I shall edit this to make this better.

Please provide creative feedback, no spamming/flaming.

Reporting/Warnings

"Use the report button if something's obviously and indisputably breaking the rules," meaning just click the "Report" button in the bottom-right hand post of the thing that needs to be reported. Remember- only report for purposes that break the rules. If you have to talk to a moderator for any reason, PM them.

If you receive a warning and don't know why, PM any moderator. Don't beg for it to be taken away- as it will in due time. (You won't receive any warnings if you follow the rules of YCM! Simple!)

Account/Profile/Friends

When you come to YCM, you are given an account. Most of the time you have to activate it from your email. Within your account are several customizable options. Let's visit those.

To edit your account, go to where it says Signed in as {insert your username here}. In this case, it would say Signed in as Future Paradise for me. If for some odd reason, you end up with someone else's account, log-out immediately. It might also be a good idea to report to a Super Moderator the incident. When you click on the button, go down to "My Settings". From there, you can change several things about your profile, including:

~ Picture

~ Biography

~ Signature

And much more.

You can also go to "My Settings" to edit your profile. ((Example of a Profile)). You can adjust things such as:

~ Who last visited your profile xNumber of People

To become someone's friend, go to their profile and click the button under their picture. They will have to approve it. You will receive notification through PM as to whther or not they accept your request or not.

Typing/Spelling

Let's get one thing stright, I don't type like this:

i typ lik this bcuz im 2 lazy 2 do teh rest of teh stuff

If you don't know how to type, you better learn. I know of a few members on here who won't discuss with those who don't type in correctly. If you happen to mistype one word, it's all right. You can fix stuff in posts by editing the post. To edit a post, go down to the bottom-right hand corner of the post and click edit. Wait a few seconds and it'll be ready. NOTE: You can't edit other people's posts unless you're a Moderator/Super Moderator. When you type, you can add silly RPs (Role Plays) and emphasis.

To add an RP, just do this: *{insert action here}* This is most commonly use for:

*cough*sureudid*cough*

In this case, the quote was sure you did. Seeing as it was in the stars, you can smash words together and purposely mispell. Just don't do it 24/7.

To add emphasis, you can bold words, italicize words, and underline words. You can also color code. To do this, you can either:

~ (Before Posting) Use tools at the top of editor

~ (After Posted) Edit and use tools at the top of editor

If you want to learn to type, you can go here.

Communicating With Others

Basically just follow a few guidelines:

~ Be nice

~ Be honest

~ Be courteos of other's opinions

~ Don't flame/spam/troll, that repels people away

~ Post in the forums of which you feel most comfortable/like the most

It's really simple. If you come on here with a good attitude towards others, you'll be able to communicate.

How To Make a Card

http://www.yugiohcardmaker.net/

Really simple. Just make your card(s) and save it. To save it with other cards as a Set, simply put in a few numbers/letters combo. and click "Save to Set". You can come back later and open it up and see it!

However, some times the card maker doesn't load your card. In this case, do the following:

~ Right-Click Card

~ Click "Save Picture As"

~ Save somewhere where you'll remember it

~ Save

Then, save the effect.

Open up Microsoft Word, or whatever program you have, and copy/paste the effect their. Save the document as Card Lore ({insert card name here}) (EX: Card Lore (Blue-Eyes White Dragon))

How To Make a Graphic

There are several images in the

http://forum.yugiohc...wcase/]Showcase[/url] section. Learn from there and the tutorials section. You CAN become a great GFX'er!

How To Post a Card/Where It Goes

There are several sections in CC (Custom Cards) where you can post your created card. Click on the below links to find where it goes.

Realistic Cards

Pop-Culture Cards

Any Other Cards

For Written Cards, it's just basically a card without a picture.

Remember when posting a card to post the OCG, or effect, with it. Some people call it the "lore" of the card.

Status Bar

Alright, like Facebook, YCM has it's own Status Bar. Some general things about this includes:

~ You can only have one at a time showing on the YCM Forum Main Page

~ You can't edit it like posts

~ You can only posts urls, not the one with the coding

Status spam isn't taken very well. Don't spam someone else's status for no reason. If you have a reasonable comment, then you can post it. However, your comment can be deleted. The status bar owner may also lock their status to prevent posting.

How To Make A Better Card

Alright, I see this in Questions & Help way too much. It's the same question every time- how do I make a better card?

Well, first off, there are several things that you can do too make your card look better and be better.

Let's start off small.

[spoiler=Images For Your Card]

Images can be found pretty much anywhere. But here are some of the top places to get images:

DeviantArt

Custom Image Archives (found in Showcase)

Google Images

Now, there are some restrictions to the above that, at all times, must be used.

DeviantArt- Probably the most common place for images. Just search, and you can find pretty much anything. But some images have copyrights on them. Images that are copyrighted will have a message by the artist on their post, so read that first.

Image Archives- Found on YCM! Just give credit when needed.

Google Images- Be careful. A lot of images here might be copyrighted, so read the website first before using the image.

Remember to always save the image at full size!

[spoiler=Names]

Of course, you get to name your own card. But make sure the name goes eith the effect/picture. (EX: If you have a Zombie Card, don't name it "Snail of Wonder")

[spoiler=OCG]

Probably the most important part of the card. This is what makes-or-breaks the card itself. To know how to use OCG correctly, you can just browse around this thread: http://forum.yugiohc...-grammar-rules/ , and look at experienced members' cards to gain some insight.

So all-in-all, if you use these guidelines, you'll be on your way to being a pro card maker!

Commonly Asked Questions

Q: How do I get points/send points?

A: You now get points only by donation. Posting doesn't do anything anymore. To send points, go to the "Points" tab in the top-right of the page. Click. Go to "Quick Donate". Fill out the form- you're done!

Q: How do I get more stars?

A: Here's the scale:

1 Star = Join

2 Stars = 25 Posts

3 Stars = 150 Posts

4 Stars = 400 Posts

5 Stars = 1000 Posts

6 Stars = 5000 Posts

Q: Do all my posts count?

A: No, posts in "Games" and "Out-of-Character Planning" do not count.

Q: How do I link things with text/picture?

A: Here is the coding for it:

Text

[url=http:// address]Insert text here[/url]

Picture

[url=http:// address]Insert picture code here[/url]

Q: How do I make the copyright, registered, and trade mark symbol?

A: Here's the codes:

©

(c)

®

(r)

(tm)

Q: I don't know anyone on here. What do I do?

A: Just simply follow the Communicating With Others guidelines. It has every fact & tip to get you on your way.

Q: How do I post a YouTube video link without posting the actual video?

A: Enter the below coding. When complete, it should look like the example.

[url=http://address]Song Name/Artist/Whatever Else[/url]

[spoiler=Example]

Postive feedback appreciated!

© 2010-2011 Future Paradise (X-Judgement)

Use of this information may not be redistributed in any way except by the consent of Future Paradise (X-Judgement).

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

"Probably the most important part of the card. This is what makes-or-brakes the card itself. "

I don't mean to sound picky, but in a section on grammer and OCG, I think propper grammer should be present at all times. Not 100% sure situationally, but I believe that should be re-written as follows:

Probably the most important part of the card. This is what makes-or-breaks the card itself.

Just a friendly suggestion, trying to look out for you- and I mean well, truly.

"Probably the most important part of the card. This is what makes-or-brakes the card itself. "

I don't mean to sound picky, but in a section on grammer and OCG, I think propper grammer should be present at all times. Not 100% sure situationally, but I believe that should be re-written as follows:

Probably the most important part of the card. This is what makes-or-breaks the card itself.

Just a friendly suggestion, trying to look out for you- and I mean well, truly.

?

Yes it is, very much so. Though I've been using this site for *cough*3years*cough* but never before on the forums. However, I am an IT so I know my way around. It's very helpful in several respects- 1) Presents clear and legible rulings and information in a friendly and non-agressive way, and 2) Promotes more friendly interactions between moderators, staff and standard users- all the while teaching new ways to uphold the rules and make the experience much more enjoyable.

Archived