Yu-Gi-Oh! - Dead Zone [FINISHED]

Vector Nightmare

Well, I just finished Chapter 4, and I gotta say, I don't have anything negative to say about the Fan Fic. The description and detail in some places is simple, but is very effective. I also like how their is that one thing that leaves the reader wondering (won't name any examples in case of spoilers), etc

However, so far, I was somewhat bugged how I believe Sanjou is the main character (I know Maya and Yuusuke are main characters as well, but Sanjou seems to be the main, main character, such as the Yusei, Jaden, etc.), but how in just I believe in one Chapter, he just stops showing within further Chapters (which I have read so far). I just hope past Chapter 4 Sanjou somehow gets back into the Fan Fic, not as people just talking about him, but him himself. Otherwise, I love the fan fic.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='Anbu-of-Sand' timestamp='1295481183' post='4945520']
Well, I just finished Chapter 4, and I gotta say, I don't have anything negative to say about the Fan Fic. The description and detail in some places is simple, but is very effective. I also like how their is that one thing that leaves the reader wondering (won't name any examples in case of spoilers), etc

However, so far, I was somewhat bugged how I believe Sanjou is the main character (I know Maya and Yuusuke are main characters as well, but Sanjou seems to be the main, main character, such as the Yusei, Jaden, etc.), but how in just I believe in one Chapter, he just stops showing within further Chapters (which I have read so far). I just hope past Chapter 4 Sanjou somehow gets back into the Fan Fic, not as people just talking about him, but him himself. Otherwise, I love the fan fic.
[/quote]

His name is actually Kiishiro. Since I follow Japanese order, the family name comes first, so Sanjou is his family name. Since you got Maya and Yuusuke by their first names, I assume you confused that.

And, I don't think you'll be disappointed, but you'll have to be a little patient (from the point you are currently at).

I think there are, and I am certain there will be, many more things that will leave you guys wondering.

I am actually progressing fairly well into the second arc, I'm almost two-and-a-half chapters through. I'll wait until I make some more progress, though, before I post the next installments, as I'm considering rearranging some parts of the plot between those three chapters that I am writing.

You have not posted twenty new chapters since I last checked the topic. Dis ish unacceptable.

EDIT:
There have been good times...

and bad...

sentences that have stretched the laws of nature to their limits...

but he's never faced an enemy...

like this...

[Cue rock soundtrack by some second-rate band. Or, if you prefer, cue [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8eek0J1B98"]Make Magic[/url].]

This winter...

Dr. Cakey takes on his toughest fight yet...

and the only thing he knows for sure...

is that somebody...

is [i][b]dead[/b][/i] wrong.
[size="6"][center]
Growing Praise and Adulation
[i][b]Dead[/b][/i] Wrong[/center][/size]

Coming soon to select YCM Fan Fics forums. This crap is not yet rated and never will be.

I can't wait for that. In the meantime, I finally settled on how to divide my chapters. Voilla, the thirteenth (and lucky) chapter, named after one of my favorite 5Ds monsters.

[s]Smile Kids[/s]

[spoiler=Chapter 13]
[center][b][u]Chapter 13:[/b] Twin Breaker[/u][/center]

The world was collapsing around them. They could not see it, of course, they could not feel it, but the breath of disaster was already sweeping reality, the echoes of doom seeping in, unheard, from the distant corners of existence.

The hour of reckoning had come.

---

Duel International claimed that player accounts were rarely deleted. That was not true. They were [i]never[/i] deleted. When a matter occured that called for an account deletion, its data was simply transferred to a different, separate server inaccessible by the player base. This happened rarely enough that the information could be stored there indefinitely, without tampering with the 'garbage dump', as they called it. However, during the past week, more 'deletions' had occured than during the system's entire lifespan. Even the dedicated server that maintained them was beginning to clog.

Therefore, the hacker thought with a smirk, as he typed in a few lines of text on his computer, some of the data would have to be moved. But there was only one way out of the garbage dump.

They'd have to be brought back to action.

---

"Speed World 2, activate!" Four voices sounded in unison. The competing D-Wheelers fell into a row according to their turn order.

[spoiler=Speed World 2][b]Speed World 2[/b]
SPELL / Field
If you activate a non-"Speed Spell" Spell Card, take 2000 damage. During each player's Standby Phase, place 1 Speed Counter on this card (max. 12). You can remove any number of Speed Counters from this card to activate an appropriate effect:
• 4: Inflict 800 damage to your opponent for each "Speed Spell" Spell Card in your hand.
• 7: Draw 1 card.
• 10: Select and destroy 1 card on the field.[/spoiler]

Kiishiro recoiled in surprise as he saw the names and rankings of the other players. He had been used to the uniform 'Ghost' that appeared in place of a name for any of the bots, and the cloaked ranking. But for them, that information was perfectly clear. They weren't the same as Ghost, after all - but what were they? He very much doubted they were normal duelists.

[center][i][b]Thunderbolt Knight[/b] - LP: 4000[/i]
[i][b]Sinclair[/b] - LP: 4000[/i]
[i][b]Greyblade[/b] - LP: 4000[/i]
[i][b]CrossWing[/b] - LP: 4000[/i][/center]

"My turn. Draw!" He said, rushing forward.

There were several types of team duels, even in the 2 versus 2 format. This particular implementation assigned each duelist with their own Life Point counter, and their own field, deck, hand and Graveyard. One player losing still allowed his teammate to continue. One teammate's monsters were not allowed to be used for attack or defense by his ally, which meant that if a player had no monsters, he could be attacked directly regardless of his teammate's field. Effects that could be activated during a player's own turn could not be used during the teammate's turn, and cards from the hand could not be played. Insofar, it was the same as Battle Royale, but the differences started here.

Players could not attack their teammates. Effects that targeted the opponent could be used against one of the opponents, but not on the teammate. Effects that targeted the entire field of the opponent would affect both opponents, and effects that affected the whole field would affect all players indiscriminately. Conversely, effects that targeted one of the owner's cards could be used in favor of the allied monsters, and for the purposes of Synchro Summoning or Fusion Summoning, and the mechanics of Union monsters, monsters on the allied field could be used. However, that did not apply to monsters in the hand or Graveyard, or effects that did not involve cards on the field. For example, a player could tune one monster on his side and one monster on his teammate's side for a Synchro Summon, or equip an allied monster with a Union monster of his own during his turn, or use Honest from his hand to power up a monster of his ally. However, Sakuretsu Armor in response to an attack on his teammate's monsters, and neither would Emissaries of Harmony protect their monsters or Life Points.

As good as a single player was, he could not indiscriminately cover his ally in this format. Teamwork was promoted, but without individual ability, the duel was as good as lost for the lower-powered team. And, judging by the rankings of the three other players, Kiishiro very much doubted the underdogs were their opponents.

His own rank was concealed, of course, but he knew it stood at 74 by now. A massive gain of roughly 40 points was not a normal increase for a week's play. But, with nothing else to do, and a lot of preparation to undertake, Kiishiro spent nearly the whole time dueling against the highest skilled opponents ZONE's sub-system could provide. But Yenma's ranking stood at a mere 23. And the opponents... Sinclair had 34 for a rank, and CrossWing was 38. Close enough, and nowhere near Kiishiro's current level. Even combined, they should be no match. But it did not work like that. A team was, literally, only as good as its weakest player. Kiishiro himself could not stand up to both of their opponents, if his ally proved incapable.

Theoretically, Sinclair was the weakest opponent, and therefore would have to be targeted first. An additional rule during almost all forms of duels involving more than two people established that no Battle Phases could be conducted, until all players had taken one turn. Therefore, unlike the regular format, this meant that whoever started the game was also entitled to make the first attack, which was why securing that privilege had been important for Kiishiro. But at least until he caught a glimpse of his opponents' playstyles, overextending was dangerous. He'd have to set up his field during the first turn, and hope that Yenma fellow could keep up. He was putting a lot of trust in him, but he had no other choice.

"I summon Dandylion in defense position." He announced, placing a monster to protect his field. "One card face-down, turn end."

[spoiler=Dandylion][b]Dandylion[/b]
EARTH / Plant
Level 3
300/300
When this card is sent to the Graveyard, Special Summon 2 "Fluff Tokens" (Plant-Type/WIND/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0) in Defense Position. These Tokens cannot be Tributed for a Tribute Summon during the turn they are Special Summoned.[/spoiler]

"Draw." Sinclair said. Kiishiro's eyes narrowed. Ghosts all spoke in a uniform manner, with the same sinister, low-pitched voice. This girl's voice, however, was clear and neutral, not allowing any hint of emotion into her tone.

[center][i][b]Thunderbolt Knight[/b] - SPC: 1[/i]
[i][b]Sinclair[/b] - SPC: 1[/i]
[i][b]Greyblade[/b] - SPC: 1[/i]
[i][b]CrossWing[/b] - SPC: 1[/i][/center]

"When the opponent controls a monster and the owner's side of the field is empty, Priest of the Sun can be Special Summoned." Sinclair said, causing a shaman-like spellcaster to appear on the field. "And then, Normal Summmon - the Tuner monster, Supay."

[spoiler=Priest of the Sun][b]Priest of the Sun[/b]
LIGHT / Spellcaster
Level 5
1000/2000
If your opponent controls a monster and you control no monsters, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. When this card on the field is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard, you can add to your hand 1 "Fire Ant Ascator" or 1 "Supay" from your Deck.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Supay][b]Supay[/b]
EARTH / Fiend / Tuner
Level 1
300/100
When this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard by a card effect, you can Special Summon 1 "Oracle of the Sun" from your Deck. The ATK of that monster is doubled, and it returns to the owner's hand during the End Phase of that turn.[/spoiler]

"A Synchro Summon already?!" Yenma shouted behind Kiishiro.

"Tuning. Level 5, Priest of the Sun, to Level 1, Supay." Sinclair confirmed. "Synchro Summon. Descend, Moon Dragon Quilla."

[spoiler=Moon Dragon Quilla][b]Moon Dragon Quilla[/b]
DARK / Dragon / Synchro
Level 6
2500/2000
"Supay" + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
When this card is selected as an attack target, gain Life Points equal to half the attacking monster's ATK. If this card on the field is destroyed, you can Special Summon 1 "Sun Dragon Inti" from your Graveyard.[/spoiler]

The Moon Dragon. Kiishiro observed the orb-like monster floating beside Sinclair's D-Wheel, shining with an eerie purple light. Four dragonheads wavered around it, attached to elongated necks. An 'Inca deck', Kiishiro vaguely remembered the theme. He had never encountered one before, but he knew the general idea behind the strategy. Constantly recycle between two Synchro monsters and using their effects to replenish Life Points and deal damage. Well, at least Quilla was in defense mode for now.

"Two cards face-down. Turn end." Sinclair continued.

"Then... then I'm up! Draw!" Yenma said, his voice wavering slightly.

[center][i][b]Thunderbolt Knight[/b] - SPC: 2[/i]
[i][b]Sinclair[/b] - SPC: 2[/i]
[i][b]Greyblade[/b] - SPC: 2[/i]
[i][b]CrossWing[/b] - SPC: 2[/i][/center]

"I summon Shield Wing in defense. Turn end." Kiishiro's eyebrows lifted in shock. That was it, no face-down cards? True, Shield Wing could not be destroyed by battle up to twice per turn, but that didn't mean Yenma was protected. If by any chance the enemy had a move that could remove Shield Wing from the field without attacking it...

[spoiler=Shield Wing][b]Shield Wing[/b]
WIND / Winged Beast
Level 2
0/900
Up to twice per turn, if this card would be destroyed by battle, it is not destroyed.[/spoiler]

"Draw." CrossWing continued smoothly, seemingly not paying attention to Yenma's play. A Ghost would not have let that go without a snide remark. Indeed, most bots were programmed to respond more reactively to their opponents' plays than those two seemed to.

[center][i][b]Thunderbolt Knight[/b] - SPC: 3[/i]
[i][b]Sinclair[/b] - SPC: 3[/i]
[i][b]Greyblade[/b] - SPC: 3[/i]
[i][b]CrossWing[/b] - SPC: 3[/i][/center]

"Summon, Masked Dragon in defense mode. One card face-down, turn end."

[spoiler=Masked Dragon][b]Masked Dragon[/b]
FIRE / Dragon
Level 3
1400/1100
When this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard, you can Special Summon 1 Dragon-Type monster with 1500 or less ATK from your Deck.[/spoiler]

Kiishiro couldn't help but notice the common trend in this duel. He had summoned Dandylion, which would bring out more monsters for defense when sent to the Graveyard. Sinclair's Moon Dragon would heal her if attacked. Yenma's Shield Wing would not be destroyed by battle unless attacked three times. And CrossWing could Special Summon another monster when destroyed.

Each duelist had formed a barrier. From now on, between a single player's two turns, both enemy team members would have a chance to attack. Therefore, it was imperative that their defense was thorough. Kiishiro had to consider his strategy carefully. Sinclair had already summoned her Synchro monster. If Kiishiro attacked it, it would increase her Life Points. Going by levels, she was supposed to be the weakest target the two would have to focus on. But, even if he destroyed the Moon Dragon, he wouldn't be able to cause any significant damage, and she would have the chance to reinforce her defenses once more next turn. No, his target should be CrossWing and his dragon, so that his ally could follow up on his offense. But how to deal with that dragon? Assuming he had three in his deck, it would take four consecutive attacks to clear his field.

"Draw." He said. He had decided to leave his next move up to the card he would get.

[center][i][b]Thunderbolt Knight[/b] - SPC: 4[/i]
[i][b]Sinclair[/b] - SPC: 4[/i]
[i][b]Greyblade[/b] - SPC: 4[/i]
[i][b]CrossWing[/b] - SPC: 4[/i][/center]

[i]Good[/i].

"I activate Speed Spell - Summon Speeder!" Kiishiro said. "It requires me to have 4 or more Speed Counters, but it also allows me to Special Summon a low-level monster from my hand. Come, Lonefire Blossom!"

[spoiler=Speed Spell - Summon Speeder][b]Speed Spell - Summon Speeder[/b]
SPELL / Normal
Activate only while you have 4 or more Speed Counters. Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower monster from your hand. It cannot attack during this turn.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Lonefire Blossom][b]Lonefire Blossom[/b]
FIRE / Plant
Level 3
500/1400
Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 face-up Plant-Type monster to Special Summon 1 Plant-Type monster from your Deck.[/spoiler]

"Lonefire Blossom's effect activates, releasing Dandylion to summon one more Lonefire Blossom from my deck! Dandylion's effect activates, Special Summoning two tokens to my side! The second Lonefire Blossom's effect activates, releasing one of the tokens in order to Special Summon Gigaplant! Then I activate the effect of Gigaplant, Dual Summoning it! Gigaplant's effect, when it is Dual Summoned, will let me Special Summon a Plant monster from either my hand or my Graveyard. So I will revive Dandylion."

[spoiler=Gigaplant][b]Gigaplant[/b]
EARTH / Plant / Dual
Level 6
2400/1200
This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. While this card is face-up on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it be treated as an Effect Monster with this effect:
• Once per turn, you can Special Summon 1 Insect-Type or Plant-Type monster from your hand or Graveyard.[/spoiler]

"A - awesome..." Yenma exclaimed, his mouth wide open with shock. Kiishiro realized how impressive bringing out a full field of monsters must have seemed. On his side stood one token, two Lonefire Blossoms, and Dandylion, all in defense position, as well as Gigaplant in attack mode. With this, he should be well-defended until his next turn would come. At that time, he would use all the resources he had left to finish the game as fast as possible. But first -

"Gigaplant, attack Masked Dragon!" He ordered, and the giant carnivorous plant unleashed a mass of tentacles that instantly strangled and annihilated the small dragonic creature.

"When Masked Dragon is destroyed, another one can be Special Summoned from the deck." CrossWing said passively, bringing out another copy of the same monster.

"I'll place one card face-down then. Turn end." Kiishiro said finally.

"Draw." Sinclair announced in the same tone as before.

[center][i][b]Thunderbolt Knight[/b] - SPC: 5[/i]
[i][b]Sinclair[/b] - SPC: 5[/i]
[i][b]Greyblade[/b] - SPC: 5[/i]
[i][b]CrossWing[/b] - SPC: 5[/i][/center]

"Trap card, open - Limit Rebirth. A monster with a thousand attack points or less is revived. I resurrect Priest of the Sun. Then, I summon Red Ant Ascator."

[spoiler=Limit Rebirth][b]Limit Rebirth[/b]
TRAP / Continuous
Select 1 monster with 1000 or less ATK from your Graveyard, and Special Summon it in Attack Position. If that monster is changed to Defense Position, destroy it and this card. When this card is removed from the field, destroy that monster. When that monster is destroyed, destroy this card.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Red Ant Ascator][b]Red Ant Ascator[/b]
EARTH / Insect / Tuner
Level 3
700/1300
When this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard, you can select and Special Summon 1 Level 5 monster from your Graveyard. Its effect(s) is negated, and it is sent to the Graveyard during the End Phase of this turn.[/spoiler]

"Is it coming already - ?!" Kiishiro gritted his teeth.

"Tuning. Level 5, Priest of the Sun, to Level 3, Red Ant Ascator." Sinclair said. "Synchro Summon. Rise, Sun Dragon Inti." Next to the Moon Dragon, what looked like an animated ancient drawing of the sun, surrounded by four heads of oriental dragons, all in red and golden color schemes opposite to its counterpart, appeared on the field. Sinclair surveyed the situation for an instant.

[spoiler=Sun Dragon Inti][b]Sun Dragon Inti[/b]
LIGHT / Dragon / Synchro
Level 8
3000/2800
"Red Ant Ascator" + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
When this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard, destroy the monster that destroyed this card, and inflict damage to your opponent equal to half that monster's ATK. If this card on the field is destroyed, during the Standby Phase of the next turn, you can Special Summon 1 "Moon Dragon Quilla" from your Graveyard.[/spoiler]

"Speed Spell - High Speed Crash. When Speed Counters stand at two or higher, one card on either side of the field is destroyed. Limit Rebirth and Shield Wing are destroyed."

[spoiler=Speed Spell - High Speed Crash][b]Speed Spell - High Speed Crash[/b]
SPELL / Normal
Activate only while you have 2 or more Speed Counters. Destroy 1 card you control and 1 other card on the field.[/spoiler]

Kiishiro was afraid this would happen - it was fairly easy to get rid of a monster on the field. If that worked, his ally would be left defenseless against the attacks of both Synchro monsters.

"Counter Trap, Pollinosis!" He retaliated. "I release my token, and the activation and effect of your card is negated!" He had wanted to save this card to use against a more destructive effect, which is why he had not countered Limit Rebirth, but he had no other choice if he was going to keep Yenma in the game.

[spoiler=Pollinosis][b]Pollinosis[/b]
TRAP / Normal
Tribute 1 Plant-Type monster. Negate the activation of a Spell or Trap Card, or the Normal or Special Summon of a monster, and destroy that card.[/spoiler]

Sinclair displayed no emotion as her trap was countered. Then, she shifted her eyes from Yenma to Kiishiro. There was no spite or malice in her gaze. Just the eyes of a hunter who had just changed the prey they were after.

"Moon Dragon Quilla switches to attack mode. Battle. Sun Dragon Inti attacks Gigaplant."

"I won't let you. Trap card, open! Thorn Wall! All your attacking monsters are destroyed!"

[spoiler=Thorn Wall][b]Thorn Wall[/b]
TRAP / Normal
Activate only when a face-up Plant-Type monster you control is selected as an attack target. Destroy all Attack Position monsters your opponent controls.[/spoiler]

"Trap card, activate. Destruct Potion." Sinclair didn't miss a beat. "Sun Dragon Inti is destroyed, and I recover Life Points equal to its attack strength." The solar dragon shattered, leaving the vines that had assaulted it to destroy the Moon Dragon instead. Sinclair's Life Points almost doubled to 7000.

[spoiler=Destruct Potion][b]Destruct Potion[/b]
TRAP / Normal
Select 1 monster you control. Destroy it, and gain Life Points equal to its ATK.[/spoiler]

"Due to Destruct Potion's effect, when Moon Dragon Quilla is destroyed, Sun Dragon Inti is in the Graveyard. Therefore, the Sun Dragon is Special Summoned." As Quilla dispersed into particles, those shards began to glow with a bright light, and they reformed into its solar counterpart.

[center][i][b]Thunderbolt Knight[/b] - LP: 4000[/i]
[i][b]Sinclair[/b] - LP: 7000[/i]

"Battle continues. Sun Dragon Inti attacks Gigaplant." This time unhindered, the peculiar dragon assaulted the plant with all its dragonheads, erasing it instantly. Kiishiro grunted as his Life Points fell to 3400.

[center][i][b]Thunderbolt Knight[/b] - LP: 3400[/i]
[i][b]Sinclair[/b] - LP: 7000[/i]

"One card face-down. Turn end."

Kiishiro shook his head, trying to clear his thoughts. He had vastly underestimated his opponent. Sinclair's style flowed more smoothly than any of the Ghosts he had faced, and she had managed to establish a huge advantage with just a few well-placed cards. In fact, alone, he felt he would have difficulty matching her, much less along with her ally, whose true skill had yet to be seen. He needed Yenma's help.

"My turn..." Said teammate muttered. Kiishiro switched the display to <Camera Display>. Yenma all but wavered on his D-Wheel, dangerously close to losing his balance. Seriously, how could he expect anything from that guy? For that matter, whatever inspiration caused him to deliver the card ZONE had entrusted him with to him?

[center][i][b]Thunderbolt Knight[/b] - SPC: 6[/i]
[i][b]Sinclair[/b] - SPC: 6[/i]
[i][b]Greyblade[/b] - SPC: 6[/i]
[i][b]CrossWing[/b] - SPC: 6[/i][/center]

"Draw." He finally managed, regaining his balance. "I'm... I'm sorry. I did not do well. I'll try harder from now on." He hesitated, his hand wavering over his cards. "I activate the Speed Spell - Angel Baton. I draw twice, and then send a card from my hand to the Graveyard." He exchanged his cards.

[spoiler=Speed Spell - Angel Baton][b]Speed Spell - Angel Baton[/b]
SPELL / Normal
Activate while you have 2 or more Speed Counters. Draw 2 cards. Afterwards, send 1 card from your hand to the Graveyard.[/spoiler]

"Next I'll send one more card from my hand to the Graveyard, to Special Summon The Tricky from my hand!" Yenma discarded another card, and a strange jester-like creature with question mark symbols on its torso and head, wearing a blue cape, appeared on the field.

[spoiler=The Tricky][b]The Tricky[/b]
WIND / Spellcaster
Level 5
2000/1200
You can discard 1 card to Special Summon this card from your hand.[/spoiler]

"Next I summon the Tuner monster, Debris Dragon!" The silver dragon with the sharpened wings and claws appeared on the field. "I activate Debris Dragon's effect to - "

"Trap card, activate. Skill Drain." Sinclair said abruptly. 1000 Life Points have to be paid, but all face-up effect monsters on the field."

[center][i][b]Thunderbolt Knight[/b] - LP: 3400[/i]
[i][b]Sinclair[/b] - LP: 6000[/i]

[spoiler=Debris Dragon][b]Debris Dragon[/b]
WIND / Dragon / Tuner
Level 4
1000/2000
When this card is Normal Summoned, you can Special Summon 1 monster with 500 or less ATK from your Graveyard in Attack Position. That monster's effect(s) is negated. This card cannot be used as a Synchro Material Monster, except for the Synchro Summon of a Dragon-Type Synchro Monster. The other Synchro Material Monster(s) cannot be Level 4.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Skill Drain][b]Skill Drain[/b]
TRAP / Continuous
Pay 1000 Life Points. The effects of all face-up Effect Monsters are negated.[/spoiler]

"Okay then..." Yenma seemed taken aback. "Then, I tune my Level 2 Shield Wing to my Level 4 Debris Dragon!" The two Wind monsters shattered into sublime shapes, converging into an array of four circles, allowing two glowing stars to pass through. "Synchro Summon! Appear, Chain Dragon!" A serpentine creature with two giant wings, and chains covering the front part of its body, appeared on the field.

[spoiler=Chain Dragon][b]Chain Dragon[/b]
EARTH / Dragon / Synchro
Level 6
2500/1300
1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
You can remove from play all "Iron Chain" monsters from your Graveyard to have this card gain 200 ATK for each card removed, until the End Phase. When this card inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent, send the top 3 cards of your opponent's Deck to the Graveyard.[/spoiler]

"Battle! The Tricky attacks Masked Dragon!" The jester creature launched a sphere of energy which quickly incinerated the dragon.

"Another Masked Dragon is Special Summoned." CrossWing responded.

"Then Chain Dragon will take that down, too!" The dragon roared, and a chain shot out of its maws, impaling the much smaller dragonic creature.

"When Masked Dragon is sent to the Graveyard, a Dragon monster with low attack power can be Special Summoned from the deck." Without missing a beat, CrossWing picked out one more card. "Totem Dragon is Summoned." A peculiar creature replaced his monster. It looked nothing like a dragon - it was merely a small circle with legs and wings, resembling a turtle, and an extremely long neck that stretched out like a centipede to a head consisting only of a mouth. But despite its appearance, Kiishiro knew its effect well. However, CrossWing couldn't use its effect to act as two tributes while Skill Drain was on the field. Theoretically, they were safe for now.

"I... I place two cards face-down." Yenma placed two of the three cards in his hand, reversed on the field. "Turn end."

"My turn. Draw." Their opponent said. Speed counters increased accordingly.

[center][i][b]Thunderbolt Knight[/b] - SPC: 7[/i]
[i][b]Sinclair[/b] - SPC: 7[/i]
[i][b]Greyblade[/b] - SPC: 7[/i]
[i][b]CrossWing[/b] - SPC: 7[/i][/center]

"Speed World 2's effect. By removing 4 Speed Counters, 800 damage for every Speed Spell in my hand is inflicted. I hold 2." CrossWing turned his D-Wheel's point towards Kiishiro, and a stream of energy flew forth to envelop him. Kiishiro knew that sensation - Taking well over 1000 damage, here, with all limiters removed, could very well be lethal. He sped forward, trying to ignore the scorching heat, the sensation of his flesh being burned - the [i]reality[/i] that his flesh was being burned. He screamed, and pressed a button on his D-Wheel, instantly engaging the <Overdrive System>, escaping from that stream of flame. His Life Points dropped to a mere 1800.

[center][i][b]Thunderbolt Knight[/b] - LP: 1800[/i]

"Activate Speed Spell - High Speed Crash." CrossWing declared. "Two cards, one on each side of the field, are destroyed. Skill Drain and Dandylion are destroyed." There was no discussion, no exchange of words. Skill Drain just exploded into particles. Sinclair didn't as much as turn around. And with this, the diminutive flower in front of Kiishiro was annihilated.

"Dandylion Special Summons two monsters when destroyed." Kiishiro said. His opponents ignored him completely.

"Without Skill Drain on the field, Totem Dragon is treated as 2 monsters for the Advance summon of a Dragon monster. I release Totem Dragon to summon Tyrant Dragon." A massive golden creature, akin to a predatory dinosaur with great wings, appeared on the field, sporting way more firepower than any other creature, barring Sinclair's Sun Dragon.

[spoiler=Tyrant Dragon][b]Tyrant Dragon[/b]
FIRE / Dragon
Level 8
2900/2500
During your Battle Phase, if your opponent controls a monster after this card's first attack, this card can attack once again. Negate the effect of any Trap Card that targets this card, and destroy that Trap Card. If this card is Special Summoned from the Graveyard by another card's effect, you must Tribute 1 Dragon-Type monster.[/spoiler]

"Damnit, I knew they had a combo like this..." Kiishiro gritted his teeth. He had tried to prepare for all eventualities, but...

"Then, Speed Spell - Vision Wind. A Level 2 or lower monster from the Graveyard is Special Summoned." Totem Dragon returned, next to the much larger Tyrant Dragon. "Totem Dragon is removed from the game. Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon is Special Summoned." Kiishiro gave a start, as the most infamous piece of the 'dragon beatdown' strategy appeared on the field, a truly imposing black dragon with metal scales and a sinister glare.

[spoiler=Speed Spell - Vision Wind][b]Speed Spell - Vision Wind[/b]
SPELL / Normal
Activate only while you have 2 or more Speed Counters. Select and Special Summon 1 Level 2 or lower monster from your Graveyard. Destroy it during the End Phase.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon][b]Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon[/b]
DARK / Dragon
Level 10
2800/2400
You can remove from play 1 Dragon-Type monster you control to Special Summon this card. Once per turn, during your Main Phase, you can Special Summon 1 Dragon-Type monster, except "Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon", from your hand or Graveyard.[/spoiler]

"The effect of Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon. Masked Dragon is Special Summoned from the Graveyard." One of the creatures that had appeared earlier, diminutive compared to the two behemoths, materialized again in front of CrossWing. The setup was complete. Kiishiro thought he could almost hear his opponent processing information, making calculations, determining the ideal target...

"Reverse card, open!" Yenma exclaimed suddenly. "Threatening Roar! You cannot enter the Battle Phase during this turn!" Kiishiro breathed a sigh of relief - it seemed his teammate had earned them some reprieve -

"Trap card, activate. Trap Stun. The effects of all other Trap cards are negated during this turn." CrossWing countered mercilessly.

[spoiler=Threatening Roar][b]Threatening Roar[/b]
TRAP / Normal
Your opponent cannot declare an attack this turn.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Trap Stun][b]Trap Stun[/b]
TRAP / Normal
Negate the effects of all other Trap Cards on the field during this turn.[/spoiler]

"No... way..." Yenma breathed, aghast. Whoever found himself on the receiving end of that onslaught would probably end up being the first to be knocked out of the game.

"Battle." CrossWing finally announced. "Tyrant Dragon attacks Lonefire Blossom." Kiishiro braced himself for the impact. As he had thought, they had decided that he was the most dangerous target, and he had to be eliminated first. Lonefire Blossom was obliterated without a trace.

"Tyrant Dragon's effect allows it to attack a second time, if it destroys another monster. Tyrant Dragon destroys the second Lonefire Blossom. Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon and Masked Dragon attack the two tokens." Three identical surges of fire incinerated the - blessedly in defense mode - monsters. CrossWing was determined to leave him with as little to work with as possible, instead of taking down Yenma's stronger monsters.

"One reverse card. Turn end."

It was said that, when two duelists of high enough caliber confronted each other in battle, one could feel the strength of the other pulsing, challenging his own fighting spirit. This was not a sensation Kiishiro had much experience with. He did not know if he could experience it by fighting in battles against artificial intelligence forms, and he certainly had felt no such thing against the Ghosts, no matter how difficult the duel. They were opponents that had to be beaten, obstacles that had to be overcome. There was no desire or pride in such opponents. They did not [i]want[/i] to win. They were [i]programmed[/i] to win. He was dueling robots, and he knew it.

With those two, it was different.

There was no desire here either. There was no pride. There was [i]nothing[/i]. Nothing was, and nothing wasn't. It felt like he was dueling empty husks. And that emptiness frightened him. If the Ghosts were akin to robots -

- those two were just like corpses.
[/spoiler]

Now, I know what [s]some[/s] all of you might think after this chapter. 'Gosh, did it really turn out this predictable? I feel like I'm able to predict every second word of the next chapter!' Are you correct? Well...

...yes.

Actually, perhaps. It's unfortunately true that this chapter did not turn out as well as I had hoped. It will probably be on the top of my revisions list (along with the third chapter with that horrendous mistake), if I ever get that far. But for now, I wanted to get it out. I [s]promise[/s] hope that the next chapters will pick up the pace.

HOLY F*** THAT'S GOOD. O.O

You broke my YCM-level scale, so I'll need a much harsher one if Imma give you advice. This is what I'd use for a published book:

Characterization: [b]C[/b]
The characters are defined, to be sure, but empathy is difficult with anyone outside the few mains, and their personalities aren't refined to the point where I can summarize them or use them to predict future actions. In short, I can't write a fanfic of this yet because I don't understand the characters well. I like to call this "thriller characterization." Please note that I rather dislike thrillers.
Plot: [b]B[/b]
It's very hard to see where the whole thing is going. But that's probably a good thing, especially since a thriller relies entirely on its plot. It's lightning-fast and gripping, and yet stretches out over a lasting plot -- very shounen.
Content: [b]A[/b]
You know what you're talking about; or at least, you can sound like you know what you're talking about.
Readability: [b]A[/b]
I read eight chapters of this. I meant to read one. That makes it better than most published novels.
Continuity: [b]B[/b]
Continuity is the progression of the story in a plausible manner; [i]Harry Potter[/i] fails it utterly by book VI by pulling Harry/Ginny out of nowhere. You, on the other hand, have mostly pulled it off. There's no true sense of personality yet (see Characterization), so continuity is tough to rank. I'll just give it a B because there are no errors (at least in chapters I-VII or XIII).
Overall: [b]76%[/b]
Comments: On a fanfic-oriented scale, that's a 90%. The personalities are honestly rather unimportant for the genre, so you can probably just ignore me and take comfort in being the author of the best YGO! fic I can think of off the top of my head (I think I once read a better one by one of the old masters, but I can't remember for certain).

[quote name='~ Epic Hero - Saber ~' timestamp='1292803745' post='4865862']Seriously, I was just noticing LotT resurfacing earlier and I was like wut, did the top brass of YCM's fanfic section suddenly all decide to drop back in? We need some SGY in here.[/quote]

Two pages later, wishes come true. Magic, right here on YCM!

[I am Ixigo, by the way]

I am deeply thankful for that thorough review. Being honest, this story is posted entirely in its first draft mode. I only bother re-reading what I wrote when I feel the necessity to adjust a duel. And I find a lot of errors there. But I resolved to post the untainted first draft, and I'm sticking with it. Revisions will come after I get where I want with this. Naturally, though, I need to have my attention drawn to a lot of the crap I miss while doing that.

• Characterization: This is actually one of my greatest problems with the story. I want my characters to be all srs... but it's a story about card games. There's only so serious you can get without falling into the OMFG SHADOW GAMES OF EVIL loop. Especially when you try to add in a horror touch. So I think I pretty much ended up making the characters more one-dimensional, to fit with both my sketched-out archetypes and the theme. Your words inspired me, actually, gave me a direction to work towards. I'll strive to improve here.

• Plot: Once again, I believe the biggest failing of the plot it's that it's... frequently interrupted by card games. Don't get me wrong - I wanted this to be a Yu-Gi-Oh! story, if for nothing else, then for the lulz. And since this was a 'srs' story, and not a parody or something similar, duels would be there. And again - I wanted to write dueling. It's just that it takes up too much space, and often times I wonder if it actually serves any purpose, going through each turn like that, while the actual story gets a disproportionally low presence. But, eh.

• Content: =/. I certainly do hope I know what I'm talking about. If you are referring to the card game, I believe I'm decently versed in it. If you are referring to the theme / technological / sci-fi crap... just wait until chapter 15 >_>.

• Readability: Good to know it hooked you in. Sometimes I believe I started out too outlandishly, and people would not be interested to continue - or that the first chapter felt too detached from the continuation, so people would drop it.

• Continuity: Truth be told, if you go wrong with continuity in less than 15 chapters, each less than 4000 words (when you remove the card descriptions)... you're doing it wrong. But yeah, I try to avoid any plot holes and discrepancies between chapters - which is rather hard thanks to my resolve to avoid revising them that I mentioned earlier. One of the reasons I created that Interlude (which you haven't gotten to yet) was to have a quick reference to the material I had so far without having to go through the story. Because I couldn't go through the story without wanting to re-write it.

Anyways, it's awesome to have you back. I'll return that review tomorrow, when I'm a bit less sleepy. Also, remember Mystwar? We should totally get that kicking >_>.

EDIT: It would be funny if that 'master' you mentioned was me, writing Chronicles >_>. Implausible, and most certainly wrong since I was far from a good author back then, but funny.

New chapter time. I managed to mess around with some things here, to make it better than I had originally feared it would turn out to be. I'm not sure if it worked.

[spoiler=Chapter 14]
[center][b][u]Chapter 14:[/b] Blazes of Demise[/u][/center]

"Then I'm up." Kiishiro gritted his teeth. He had nothing to work with. An empty field, and only two cards in his hand. Sinclair had the Sun Dragon. CrossWing had the formidable field of two high-powered dragons, and the searcher monster Masked Dragon.

Things were not looking good.

"Draw!" He said.

[center][i][b]Thunderbolt Knight[/b] - SPC: 8[/i]
[i][b]Sinclair[/b] - SPC: 8[/i]
[i][b]Greyblade[/b] - SPC: 8[/i]

"Speed Spell - Angel Baton." Kiishiro said immediately. "I draw twice, then discard one card." He did the exchange. "Then, I activate Speed World 2's effect! By removing seven of my Speed Counters, I can draw one card!" His speed dropped drastically, and he slid back just ahead of Sinclair and Yenma.

[i][b]Sinclair[/b] - SPC: 8[/i]
[i][b]Greyblade[/b] - SPC: 8[/i]

"We must win this." He addressed his teammate, who looked up, surprised. "Yenma, I can make a counterattack, but I need to borrow your monster. Do you trust me?"

"Eh?" Yenma looked uncertainly at the field. "Y - yeah, I guess..." He smiled feebly, and Kiishiro caught a glimpse of his hand moving to the top card of his extra deck. That card. His eyebrows rose questioningly. Could he have been right? It had certainly seemed so at that time, but he had not truly believed it. But, just maybe...

"Oh, and one more thing." He said, pressing on the accelerator. "My name is Sanjou Kiishiro. Let's do this!"

This duel had been going in circles. The reason he and Yenma were on the losing side was that they were not focusing their attacks, kept at bay by their opponents' disruptive strategies, whereas those two had been concentrating their attacks on him. It was time for that to change. He would ignore Sinclair, who had reinforced her Life Points and established her combo, and bring down CrossWing's monsters, so that Yenma, with some luck, could take him out.

"From my Graveyard, the effect of Grow-Up Bulb activates. By sending the top card of my deck to the Graveyard, it is Special Summoned! Next, the effect of Spore that was just discarded activates. I remove Gigaplant from play, Special Summoning it. And Spore gains Levels equal to the Level of the removed monster, meaning its Level is now 7!" The two small Plant tuners appeared on the field, though Spore quickly grew to seven times its original size.

[spoiler=Grow-Up Bulb][b]Grow-Up Bulb[/b]
EARTH / Plant / Tuner
Level 1
100/100
You can send the top card of your Deck to the Graveyard and Special Summon this card from the Graveyard. Each player can only use the effect of "Grow-Up Bulb" once per Duel.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Spore][b]Spore[/b]
WIND / Plant / Tuner
Level 1
400/800
If this card is in your Graveyard, you can remove from play 1 other Plant-Type monster from your Graveyard to Special Summon this card from your Graveyard, and increase its Level by the Level of the monster removed from play to activate this effect. Each player can only use the effect of "Spore" once per Duel.[/spoiler]

"Next I summon Evil Thorn! Evil Thorn's effect activates, allowing me to release it to Special Summon two Evil Thorns from my Deck!" A third sinister blossom appeared between the two, only to vanish and be replaced by two copies of itself. "when this is used, the opponent takes 300 damage." A violet aura surrounded CrossWing, whose Life dropped accordingly.

[spoiler=Evil Thorn][b]Evil Thorn[/b]
DARK / Plant
Level 1
100/300
You can Tribute this card to inflict 300 damage to your opponent and Special Summon up to 2 "Evil Thorns" from your Deck in face-up Attack Position. Those monsters' effects cannot be activated.[/spoiler]

[i][b]CrossWing[/b] - LP: 3700[/i][/center]

"And now, I tune my Level 1 Evil Thorn to my, now Level 7, Spore!" Kiishiro surged forward as his monsters shattered, a clustering stream of seven circles crossed by a single bright star. His deck may consist of Plant monsters, but as far as Synchros were concerned, he had obtained several ones, some very powerful. Not all were as unique or devastating as Black Rose Dragon, but some came extremely close. "Synchro Summon!" Black light suddenly burst forth, revealing the shape of a behemoth, a dragonic creature seemingly made out of oddly fitting together pieces of black metal and wiring. However, as strange as the material of its body might have seemed, its twin eyes glowed with an intimidating red light. "Come, Scrap Dragon!"

[spoiler=Scrap Dragon][b]Scrap Dragon[/b]
EARTH / Dragon / Synchro
Level 8
2800/2000
Once per turn, you can select 1 card you control and 1 card your opponent controls. Destroy them. When this card is destroyed by your opponent's card (either by battle or by card effect) and sent to the Graveyard, select 1 non-Synchro "Scrap" monster in your Graveyard and Special Summon it.[/spoiler]

"Scrap Dragon's effect is the same as High Speed Crash!" Kiishiro continued. I can select one card on each side of the field and destroy it! The cards I choose are my second Evil Thorn, and Tyrant Dragon!" The mechanical juggernaut unleashed twin shots of black-and-crimson laser, incinerating both monsters. The rivalling dragon gave out a great roar before shattering into particles.

"And it doesn't end here! Yenma, with your help - " His teammate nodded decisively. "I tune my Level 1 Grow-Up Bulb with Yenma's Level 5, The Tricky!" A sublime form appeared within a cascade of roses. "Synchro Summon! Appear, Splendid Rose!"

[spoiler=Splendid Rose][b]Splendid Rose[/b]
WIND / Plant / Synchro
Level 6
2200/2000
Once per turn, you can remove from play 1 Plant-Type monster in your Graveyard to halve the ATK of 1 face-up monster your opponent controls, until the End Phase of this turn. If this card attacks, during the same Battle Phase you can remove from play 1 Plant-Type monster in your Graveyard to halve the ATK of this card (until the End Phase) and attack once again.[/spoiler]

"With this, the field is set." Kiishiro looked over his field of two Synchro monsters. "This time, I will be taking you down! Splendid Rose's effect activates, removing Evil Thorn in my Graveyard from play! Now, Red-Eyes Darkness Dragon's attack power is cut down to half!" Restrictive vines pulled the black metal dragon to a more restrained stance. "Battle! Scrap Dragon, destroy Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon!" The creature opened its maws, and a powerful pulse of solid black energy emerged from within, swallowing the opposing creature whole. In an instant, CrossWing's Life fell down to 2300.

[i][b]CrossWing[/b] - LP: 2300[/i][/center]

"And furthermore, Splendid Rose attacks Masked Dragon!" The female green-clad knight leapt across the field, mowing apart the dragon with a well-placed kick.

[i][b]CrossWing[/b] - LP: 1500[/i][/center]

"Masked Dragon's effect activates." CrossWing said. "Decoy Dragon is Special Summoned, defense mode." A tiny blue dragon with deceptively cute features appeared on the field. Kiishiro gritted his teeth. Decoy Dragon, when attacked, would revive a high-level dragon monster and change the attack target to it. Meaning, all attacks on it with less than 2900 points were locked down.

"I'll end my turn with three face-down cards." He had nothing else to do, so he'd bet everything on those three cards.

"Draw." Like a precise clockwork, Sinclair took her turn. "Speed World 2's effect. Seven Speed counters are removed, and one card is drawn."

[i][b]Sinclair[/b] - SPC: 2[/i]
[i][b]Greyblade[/b] - SPC: 9[/i]
[i][b]CrossWing[/b] - SPC: 5[/i][/center]

"Two cards are placed face-down. Then, battle. Sun Dragon Inti attacks Chain Dragon." The solar crimson dragon swept its four heads at the larger earth-bound creature, annihilating it. Yenma grunted as his Life Points were taken down a notch.

[i][b]Greyblade[/b] - LP: 3500[/i]

After his nigh-miraculous comeback last turn, it seemed that their opponents' strategy had changed a little. Sinclair didn't want to risk, it seemed, attacking Kiishiro's field. So, would they target Yenma fist? Kiishiro waited, anticipating his teammate's next move.

---

Yuusuke walked through the portal into the area that was the next destination of his forced journey through the virtual reality. He had been prepared for the sight by the shimmering vision granted by the teleportation gate, but the single black spire towering in the middle of the area over a field of jagged rocks and molten rivers of lava, sprouts of magma exploding from the black spire's offices as a twisting narrow pathway, apparently a Riding Duel lane, spiralled its way to the top, still caused him to flinch. But also, the indicator marked this area as a Riding Arena, which meant that to be here he actually needed a -

"Oh."

Peeved as he was, he could not help but admire the glorious sight that awaited him to his left. A brilliant D-Wheel, seemingly crafted out of pure gold, its lines rounding to form intricate, abstract patterns, culminating into a sharp end in the front. Its main body was lean, but two great sidewings sprouted from the sides, giving it a more bulky appearance. Its rear end curved upwards in an aerodynamic shape.

"I took the liberty of making the selection for you. I'm afraid it cost you quite a few Duel Points, but isn't it worth it?"

Yuusuke's head whipped around. On the other side of him, a woman that was not there a few seconds ago stood. She was the one who had addressed him in English - even if he wasn't proficient in it, he could at least understand what she had said. He could not tell one foreigner's accent apart from the other's, but it did seem to him that it wasn't her native language either. The one who stood before him was tall, almost as tall as Yuusuke, but still petite with smooth, silky brown hair reaching down to the middle of her back, and piercing black eyes, locked into Yuusuke's. She could have been an avatar, a duelist who had modelled their appearance just like that. But Yuusuke knew that was not it - for he instantly recognized that woman.

"You are Jacqueline Deveraux!" He exclaimed, mustering whatever English knowledge he could. Hailing from France, she was by far the most highly praised artist and card designer in the entire world. She held one of the most illustrious positions in Duel International. Yuusuke had seen her many times on television. And she was here - he knew it was her. What he did not know was - why?

"My, my, how perceptive." Jacqueline laughed, a crystal-clear sound. "And you are Aizawa Yuusuke. I must say, your reputation is top-notch. You breach the server framework not once, but twice, entering a different continent's servers, and causing quite a bit of a mess all over the place. Such a naughty boy you are, prying into our secrets like that. But I suppose it's natural - your father must have taught you well."

"If you as much as touch him - " Yuusuke growled menacingly. Looking like that, he probably managed quite the intimidating posture, but Jacqueline laughed.

"Do not worry, my dear, we would not harm him. He is a hard-working man, we would miss him greatly."

"Then, what is this about?" Yuusuke demanded. "What do you want with me? And what have you done to Shugo?"

"You are asking dangerous questions." Jacqueline replied airily. "What we want with you - it's simply to keep you from meddling with our work."

"And what work is that?" Yuusuke snapped. "Building an army of artificial intelligence bots that send the duelists they fight into a coma? Why are you even doing this?"

"Why else, because we have to." Jacqueline said. "Since you've been trying so hard, I suppose I can give you some answers. We are undertaking something - something big. The world as we know it may change. Soon enough, reality may falter. When we constructed this virtual world, we honestly could care about the game of Duel Monsters. It was merely a setup, an experiment, a testing grounds for a much larger project. And, now that it's about time to get that moving, we'll use this world as a staging area. Do not be deceived by the words 'virtual' and 'fake'. Everything that happens here is as real, when viewed from an inside perspective, as events in our world are real when viewed from our perspective. What we did was merely regulate the boundary within this reality and our own, so that truth wouldn't cross over."

"But now you've removed those limiters." Yuusuke said, gritting his teeth. An experiment? Testing grounds? Didn't this woman realize how many people had been hurt, mortally endangered, by this world?

"Yes. You see, the link between this world and the real one is not one-way. The same way that experiences may transfer from here to reality, they can go the other way around as well. What we needed was a suitable stream of energy flowing in here. Imagine the boundary between those two realities as a tap. If the tap is closed, no water will flow. If you open it up a little, water would flow in a controlled stream, slowly adding up. But if you open it fully, wouldn't it burst forth? And if it rushes in so fast that it can't be drained, it would overflow. That 'overflow' is what we're seeking - on both sides. If a duelist loses a life-or-death duel here, the stimulation will be so intense that he may be instantly incapacitated in reality. But in here, that will to live, that last-ditch effort, and the final fall - they will be like the death of a star, elevating this virtual existence to a whole new level. This ascension is what we seek. We can control it, use it, turn it to power. Power we can use to tame things that must not be let loose."

"And you are willing to sacrifice all these people for it?!" Yuusuke yelled, dumbfounded. "Are you even aware of how many lives you've ruined?"

"Yes." Jacqueline replied bluntly. "But rest assured. They do not vanish without a trace, and their sacrifice is not an honorless one, or one without meaning."

"What are you talking about?" Yuusuke frowned.

"I'll show you. Follow me, if you wish." Jacqueline raised her left hand, and a D-Wheel sprang into being next to her. Yuusuke couldn't help but gasp. It was a truly beautiful model, lustrous green in color, with sharp lines that sometimes formed thorn-like appendages. It was smaller and more elegant than Yuusuke's, truly fit for a lady to ride. But Yuusuke did not miss the bulky rear end, which indicated a lot of attention had been paid to the power and speed of the thing.

"Thankfully, changing uniform is this simple here, otherwise I might have had to ask you to turn around." Jacqueline laughed as she was surrounded by a white light, the nondescript low-cut aquamarine blue dress she wore being replaced by a tight, black riding outfit, complete with a helmet of beautifully crafted dark green metal, its vizor casting a drape over the woman's playful eyes.

"Do not worry." She said as she mounted her D-Wheel, indicating that he should do the same. "I'm not going to force you into a Riding DUel, seeing as you haven't even taken the training yet. But I am going to show you something interesting, and it would be too inelegant to walk all the way there." She turned on her engine - without a sound, a flash of green nitrous oxide burst from the exhaust pipes, and with grace unheard of even in the most prominent motorcycle races, sped across the field, easily dodging the rivers of lava that crisscrossed it. Biting a curse, Yuusuke did the same. He was amazed at how easy it was to control the D-Wheel. The controls were simple, and really, the vehicle seemed to operate more on thought and coordination rather than riding skill. He wasn't able to keep up with Jacqueline's pace, of course, as he struggled to dodge the obstacles in his way, so she patiently waited for him at the base of the large spire. Once he got there, they began ascending. They rode in silence, Jacqueline occasionally checking her side mirrors to see if Yuusuke was keeping up. Though they were driving fast, it seemed, it still took the better part of twenty minutes to reach the top.

Yuusuke screamed. What he had not seen from outside - the mountain was hollow, and within it, a massive pool of lava was raging. A volcano. There was hardly any heat emanating from it, though - it seemed virtualization had foregone complete realism here. In fact, the pool of boiling liquid was surrounded by a plateau of solid rock, and atop it - people?!

There were more than thirty people down there, more than Yuusuke had ever seen assembled in a single instance of the virtual world. Jacqueline had parked her D-Wheel near the ridge that surrounded the hole. Yuusuke resisted the temptation to try to push her in, just to see what would happen, and mimicked her.

"What are they doing?" He asked. "Who - what are they?"

"They are gathering here, waiting." Jacqueline said solemnly. "We call them the Cataphracts, after the fabled armored knights of the medieval ages."

Though Yuusuke couldn't discern the details of their appearance from such a distance, he was certain they were not in any way similar to medieval knights. "Are they some new series of bots, like the Ghosts?" He asked.

"The Ghosts were the predecessors of the Cataphracts, in a sense." Jacqueline replied. "It wasn't as if we didn't have the technology or knowledge to construct them. But we needed the Ghosts to acquire the... raw materials, for us."

"And I'm supposed to understand what you mean by that?" Yuusuke frowned.

"You'll understand when you see." Jacqueline flared up the engine of her D-Wheel again, and rode down the slope. Gulping inwardly, Yuusuke braced himself and followed. The ride downhill was frightening - he felt as if one misstep could send him somersaulting into that lake of lava. But his D-Wheel stayed true to Yuusuke's instinctual controls, and brought him to the plateau safely.

Yet his shock upon turning his attention onto his surroundings, which now consisted of Jacqueline, who had leaned on the frame of her D-Wheel, and a couple of the so-called Cataphracts, was incomparable to his former fright. He had only laid eyes upon his figure for a few moments in what felt like ages ago, but he instantly recognized it.

The form of Shugo's virtual avatar, Doveren, and the reason he had violated his decision to not enter the virtual world again, staring at him with hollow eyes.

---

"My turn, draw!" Yenma announced, trying to maintain his composure. He glanced at his cards, formulating a strategy.

[i][b]Greyblade[/b] - SPC: 10[/i]

It had been a difficult day for him. This morning, he had finally managed to gather enough Duel Points to purchase a D-Wheel and engage in the all-new Riding Duels. He had been one of those who had not heeded the warnings. [i]It won't happen to me. These things happen to others, not me.[/i] That was what many other people had thought, probably. And now he felt like he was hanging on a thread. A very thin thread.

It had all started out normally. He had bought his D-Wheel, went through the short training program, and then warped to a Riding arena to truly test it out. But then, those two D-Wheelers, Sinclair and CrossWing, as they were apparently named, popped in out of nowhere. Instead of a duel, they chased him down, not hesitating to ram their D-Wheels into his in an effort to cause him to fall. Yenma did not know what they wanted, or what would happen if he [i]did[/i] fall, but he knew that he did not want to find out. Managing to hang on to his D-Wheel was already a miracle enough, but he somehow made it to a break in the circuit, where a portal inexplicably appeared. Without much hope, he dove in, but his stalkers followed, hot on his trail. And then... that Kiishiro fellow had dragged him out of the fire, and then this absurd situation.

Yenma was not equipped to handle a duel such as this. He was out of his league here, and he knew it. He felt as if he was being contained, trapped and left to pick off after his two enemies were done with the vastly more skilled Kiishiro. Yenma had never met the guy, yet he had been selfless in his attempts to protect him - and all Yenma had done to repay him was to keep failing against their opponents' strategies. But there was one more link that connected them. Yenma had not forgotten, even for one second, the card that Kiishiro had tossed at him. Yenma knew that, logically, he should not be able to use it, not without a legitimate transaction between the accounts taking place, which would then involve the standard procedure of trading which prevented abuse of the system. And yet that card was his. He did not know if he was qualified enough to use it to any degree of efficiency. But he [i]felt[/i] that, if he reached for it, that monster would respond to his plea.

He looked at the card he had just drawn. For now, he would have to rely on his own ability to do something. He owed that much to Kiishiro. He should do that much, if he wanted to get out of this situation. And, blessedly enough, his cards had not failed him. He had been saving for this monster for several days, he had sort of wanted to debut it in his first Riding Duel. And now, along with his deck's signature monster - he'd be able to put it to good use.

"By removing from play the Wind monster, Shield Wing, and the Dark monster, Nightend Sorcerer, in my Graveyard from play - I Special Summon Dark Simurgh!" He removed the two cards, and a great black bird, with giant feathered wings and a rich ebon plume, howling threateningly over the roar of the four engines rushing forth. This was the symbol of Yenma's deck, his ace card. Combining wind and darkness, this powerful creature's lockdown abilities were often enough to tilt a duel to his favor. But now -

[spoiler=Nightend Sorcerer][b]Nightend Sorcerer[/b]
DARK / Spellcaster / Tuner
Level 2
1300/400
When this card is Special Summoned, you can remove from play up to 2 cards from your opponent's Graveyard.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Dark Simurgh][b]Dark Simurgh[/b]
DARK / Winged Beast
Level 7
2700/1000
While this card is face-up on the field its Attribute is also treated as WIND. You can remove from play 1 DARK monster and 1 WIND monster from your Graveyard to Special Summon this card from your hand. You can remove from play 1 DARK monster and 1 WIND monster from your hand to Special Summon this card from your Graveyard. Your opponent cannot Set any cards on the field.[/spoiler]

"Trap, activate. Pitfall of Hades." Sinclair followed up in an instant. A massive black hole opened up underneath Simurgh, swallowing the legendary black bird whole.

[spoiler=Pitfall of Hades][b]Pitfall of Hades[/b]
TRAP / Normal
Activate only when your opponent Summons a monster(s) with 1500 or more ATK. Destroy and remove from play the monster(s).[/spoiler]

Yenma sighed. He had not expected it to be so easy - and that was why he had played the way he had. "Trap, activate! Dark Dimension Release!"

[spoiler=Dark Dimension Release][b]Dark Dimension Release[/b]
TRAP / Continuous
Select 1 of your removed from play DARK monsters, and Special Summon it. When this card is removed from the field, destroy and remove from play that monster. When that monster is destroyed, destroy this card.[/spoiler]

With this card, he could Special Summon a Dark monster of his that was removed from play. He had only two - Dark Simurgh, and Nightend Sorcerer. Logic stated he should bring out the much stronger Dark Simurgh, make use of its capabilities, and begin pushing for the game. But, he had two opponents here. He could not afford to be distrated. Like Kiishiro had said - he needed to think, and act, as part of the team.

"Nightend Sorcerer is Special Summoned!!" A ragtag young wizard dressed in tattered gray clothing, wielding a crescent-bladed scythe, appeared on the field. "And when that happens, I can remove from play up to two cards in my opponent's Graveyard! So I'll be getting rid of the Moon Dragon Quilla, which is in your Graveyard." He pointed at Sinclair. "And for good measure, remove Priest of the Sun as well. Now, your summoning loop is sealed!" Brief images of the two monsters materialized on the field, before fading away.

"Good work!" Kiishiro shouted back. Yenma smiled. Dark Simurgh offered no way to shut down Sinclair, who could continue whittling away at them at her leisure. But if he took care of her Quilla here, all Kiishiro would have to do in his next turn was use Scrap Dragon's effect to destroy Inti. Then the battle would be as good as theirs. And, with Kiishiro's help, he'd deal with CrossWing here and now.

"Kiishiro-san, with your help - " Kiishiro nodded, and Yenma looked ahead, determined. He pushed his D-Wheel's accelerator. Warwolf, as he had named it, was not state-of-the-art, but Yenma liked its solid feel. If he had a faster, but less sturdy model, he might not have been able to keep those two at bay for as long as he had. And now it was time to return the favor.

"I tune Kiishiro-san's Level 6, Splendid Rose, with my Level 2, Nightend Sorcerer." He said. There was that monster Kiishiro had given him, but he was not going to use that now. Barring that, there was one more card, almost as powerful, that Yenma held. This one would be more than enough. Both their monsters shattered into spheres of green light, and glowing bright stars that exploded into an array, formulating the basis of the union. "Synchro Summon! Come forth, Mental Sphere Demon!!"

It was not quite a dragon, or a demon for that matter. The thing that floated in front of Yenma, hardly seeming to move at all, was a green creature with what seemed like a gray exoskeleton, formed like a ribcage, and similarly colored armor covering its claws and legs. Its twin wings spread on either side of it, while its monstrous skull-like head glared directly at Yenma's chosen enemy, which was now CrossWing. That was a rare Psychic monster, and a very powerful one. He had spent a vast amount of Duel Points back then to acquire it, but it had been necessary to power-up his deck. However, it was never used that often, because his easiest way of summoning it was to combine Dark Simurgh with one of his low-levelled Tuners. But, more often than not, Simurgh's effect would be more useful to keep around. Now, though, it might be just what they needed to turn this around.

[spoiler=Mental Sphere Demon][b]Mental Sphere Demon[/b]
DARK / Psychic / Synchro
Level 8
2700/2300
When this card destroys a monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard, gain Life Points equal to that monster's original ATK. You can pay 1000 Life Points to negate the activation of a Spell or Trap Card that targets 1 Psychic-Type monster, and destroy it.[/spoiler]

And now it was time to wrap things up. This card had been equally expensive with Mental Sphere Demon, and of lower power, when pure statistics were considered. But at the same time, it was valued for its powerful effect combined with the ease to summon it. It was a double-edged sword that could easily backfire if used wrongly. If Dark Simurgh was Yenma's ace, this card was the backbone of his deck, used to twist around the battle and recover from a difficult spot. "I summon Deathcaliber Knight!"

This new creature had the form of a warrior, though no noble knight could be cursed enough to look as wicked and dreadful as this one. The monster's head was covered in a pitch-black visor, and apart from a leaf-bladed massive sword cackling with silver sparks, it also wielded a skull-shaped shield. Deathcaliber Knight was riding an unearthly steed, which also sported a layer of black armor ending in two horns protruding from its head.

[spoiler=Deathcaliber Knight][b]Deathcaliber Knight[/b]
DARK / Fiend
Level 4
1900/1800
This card cannot be Special Summoned. When an Effect Monster's effect is activated, you must Tribute this card. Negate that effect's activation and destroy the monster.[/spoiler]

Though neither of them showed any sign of it, Yenma [i]felt[/i] his enemies tense. This monster was an irregularity, a wild card thrown down from nowhere. This was not a maneuver they had expected Yenma to make. And that mistake would cost them dearly.

But, before that, Yenma considered something. There were four cards on their opponents' field. He planned to use Deathcaliber to safely get rid of Decoy Dragon. But, Speed World 2 enabled him to also destroy an additional card. He could use that effect on Sun Dragon, but it felt like a waste. That monster wouldn't be usable until Sinclair's next turn, and Kiishiro could use the much simpler choice of Scrap Dragon, targeting Yenma's now useless Dark Dimension Release, for that purpose. Then there were those two face-downs. It made little sense, targeting Sinclair's with this timing. But CrossWing's?

There was an unspoken rule between most duelists for blanket scenarios such as this. If you can use an effect to destroy any card, pick a troublesome monster over a reverse Spell or Trap card. The reason for this is that a Trap card can be activated in response to an effect, making you waste your card. But, in this situation, he could not afford the mistake. He had an added barrier of protection, Mental Sphere Demon's effect. If CrossWing's reverse card was a trap like Emissaries of Harmony, or Threatening Roar, then Yenma would waste all of his Speed Counters to no avail. If it was a targeting card like Dimensional Imprisonment, Yenma could counter it with Mental Sphere Demon's effect. Virtually the only cards that he would benefit from striking down would be cards like Holy Barrier - Mirror Force, which could only be activated in response to attacks, but did not target a specific monster.

He had to make a choice. Either risk his Speed Counters, or go ahead at his own pace. The chances that that guy actually had a card that could be chained, and could also not be negated by Mental Sphere Demon, were certainly lower than the other way around. He was gambling here. Everything was hanging on that possibility.

"Battle!" He exclaimed finally. "Deathcaliber Knight, attack Decoy Dragon!" The infernal knight dashed across the field. At this time, the miniature dragon began glowing, and the much larger sillhouette of Tyrant Dragon began forming around it.

"At this time, Deathcaliber Knight's effect activates." Yenma said. "When a monster effect activates, such as your Decoy Dragon's, Deathcaliber Knight is released in order to both negate the effect and wipe out the activating monster." The dark creature stabbed the small dragon with his sword, and the pair of them shattered in an explosion of dark light.

"You are wide open now! Mental Sphere Demon, direct attack!" Yenma shouted, raising his hand. A black mass of energy formed between the Psychic monster's claws, and it mimicked its controller's motion, preparing to release it all at once.
[/spoiler]

This marks the first time that a duel spans more than two chapters. I felt I needed to insert some plot development there, rather than just duelduelduel. I don't intend to make a habit out of it - duels should generally stay around one or two chapters, but obviously this was a special occasion. Anyway, next chapter's coming up, with [i]a lot[/i] of exposition. Look forward to it!

[quote name='Dr. Cakey' timestamp='1296355299' post='4972721']
Let me a establish a new schedule for you. One chapter a day. Sound fair?
[/quote]

Actually, it will be a schedule I'll be able to follow for the next three days XD. Due to some plans being changed, and how damn long I ended up making that duel, I was essentially writing three chapters at the same time, and even though I just finished with 15, both 16 and 17 are almost ready. This means that this chapter is entirely devoted to the ending of the tag team riding duel, and the exposition chapter I had planned for this one will be moved to 16 instead. Ah well. I think the ending to this one is pretty nice at least.

By the way, how's that Foe Fiction going? =/

EDIT: Due to some mistakes, the chapter will be down. I'll re-post the corrected version when I wake up. This should teach me not to write when it's 4 in the morning.

EDIT EDIT: Here.

[spoiler=Chapter 15]
[center][b][u]Chapter 15:[/b] Dragon Canyon[/u][/center]

Back in the Falcon Ridge, Kiishiro, Sinclair, Yenma, and CrossWing were already way past the middle of the mountain side. If they would reach the top, they'd have to follow a similar course downhill from the other side. But something told Kiishiro that, before they reached the summit, a conclusion would have been wrought in this duel.

In this particular turn, Yenma had outperformed Kiishiro's expectations. In a single, smooth move, he had not only brought CrossWing to the brink of fall, but also set up the field for Sinclair's loss. The victory that had seemed so elusive was now plainly in sight. Kiishiro watched carefully as his ally faced the dilemma of using Speed World 2's effect or not. He himself did not know what decision he would make at this moment. If CrossWing had a card he could chain, or a card that could be countered by Mental Sphere Demon, wasting all those counters could be a critical mistake. On the other hand, not taking that risk might mean the difference between their opponent's demise and survival. It all hung solely on that thread.

"You are wide open now!" Yenma proclaimed. Kiishiro shook his head. Perhaps it was the best choice. Perhaps. "Mental Sphere Demon, direct attack!" The monster prepared to fire off its shadowy attack.

"Trap, activate. Guard Block. One instance of battle damage is reduced to zero, and a card is drawn." The sphere of energy was blocked by a defensive armament, and CrossWing added a card to his hand. Yenma cringed his teeth. If he had used that -

"Pull yourself together!" Kiishiro yelled at him, as he watched him lose his calm. "It doesn't matter, now you must just go on."

"Right." Yenma nodded. "It's still my turn. And I use Speed World 2's effect..." He wavered slightly. "I use Speed World 2's effect! By removing seven Speed Counters, I can draw one card!"

[i][b]Greyblade[/b] - SPC: 3[/i]

Kiishiro sighed. So Yenma had decided not to direct the field spell's destruction effect against Sinclair's monster or reverse card. Was that wise? Kiishiro hoped Yenma had not forgotten one important fact. Kiishiro could destroy Sinclair's monster with Scrap Dragon on his turn, before she could get a chance to use it. But, much like how Kiishiro and Yenma had used each other's monsters to Synchro Summon, CrossWing could also make use of that dragon. He could only hope whatever Yenma had drawn was worth it.

"I place one card face-down." His teammate said quietly. Turn end.

"Turn start. Draw." CrossWing said. If that last close call had unsettled him whatsoever, he did not show. "Speed World 2's effect. By removing seven Speed Counters, one card is drawn."

[i][b]Greyblade[/b] - SPC: 4[/i]
[i][b]CrossWing[/b] - SPC: 0[/i][/center]

"Summon, Bomber Dragon." Kiishiro flinched at the appearance of the miniature, dark-blue dragon whose wicked eyes were locked onto his own, much larger monster.

[spoiler=Bomber Dragon][b]Bomber Dragon[/b]
EARTH / Dragon
Level 3
1000/0
When this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard, destroy the monster that destroyed it. While this card is attacking, any Battle Damage either player takes from a battle involving this card becomes 0.[/spoiler]

"Bomber Dragon attacks Scrap Dragon. At this moment, Bomber Dragon's effect activates. When it attacks, no battle damage is dealt to either player, and any monster that destroys this monster by battle is instantly wiped out." Scrap Dragon unleashed an atomic discharge that completely evaporated the smaller monster - or so it seemed, as the wretched corpse of the suicide-bomber dragon broke through the ray of energy, smashing into Scrap Dragon, which howled in agony as its body imploded from within.

"Two reverse cards. Turn end."

"My turn." Kiishiro growled. CrossWing had forced his hand - he had intended to use this as a finishing maneuver, but...

[center][i][b]Thunderbolt Knight[/b] - SPC: 5[/i]
[i][b]Greyblade[/b] - SPC: 5[/i]
[i][b]CrossWing[/b] - SPC: 1[/i][/center]

"Trap, activate! Call of the Living Dead! A monster in my Graveyard is Special Summoned and equipped with this card! My target is Scrap Dragon!"

"Trap card, Dust Tornado." CrossWing did not waste any time. Kiishiro sighed - he had figured something like that

[spoiler=Call of the Living Dead][b]Call of the Living Dead[/b]
TRAP / Continuous
Select 1 monster from your Graveyard and Special Summon it in face-up Attack Position. When this card is removed from the field, destroy the monster. When the monster is destroyed, destroy this card.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Dust Tornado][b]Dust Tornado[/b]
TRAP / Normal
Destroy 1 Spell or Trap Card your opponent controls. You can then Set 1 Spell or Trap Card from your hand.[/spoiler]

Kiishiro briefly considered his options. Neither of his two face-down cards could be used now. He had to make a choice. One reverse card. If he guessed right - "I summon Botanical Lion!" A green lion with a red mane that resembled a blossoming flower appeared with a roar.

[spoiler=Botanical Lion][b]Botanical Lion[/b]
EARTH / Plant
Level 4
1600/2000
This card gains 300 ATK for each Plant-Type monster you control. Control of this face-up card cannot switch.[/spoiler]

He only hesitated for an instant. He had made his resolve. "Battle! Botanical Lion, attack CrossWing directly!" The beast leapt behind him, performing an aerial sommersault to strike at CrossWing's D-Wheel. Yet, at that moment -

"Trap activate." Kiishiro recognized the dreaded card that reversed to its revealed position, as sacred energy gathered around his opponent. "Holy Barrier - Mirror Force. The attacking monsters of my opponent are destroyed." And that did not just mean Botanical Lion. There was a much more important target on the field - as Lion's attack was repelled and it was knocked backwards, waves of silver-white energy struck back, several threads of it converging on Kiishiro's monster, piercing it and annihilating it. They did not stop there - assaulting Yenma's side, whose mouth was hanging half-open in shock, they stabbed Mental Sphere Demon, wiping out the giant Synchro monster.

[spoiler=Holy Barrier - Mirror Force][b]Holy Barrier - Mirror Force[/b]
TRAP / Normal
Activate only when an opponent's monster declares an attack. Destroy all Attack Position monsters your opponent controls.[/spoiler]

Kiishiro felt like vomiting. He had failed. This move had cost them both a lot. Should they just about lose the duel, it would be because of this wrong decision. And there was nothing else he could do.

"T - turn end." He sped forward, not daring to look back. Yenma had counted on him, he had used him as an example. And now he had failed.

"Draw." Sinclair said simply.

[center][i][b]Thunderbolt Knight[/b] - SPC: 6[/i]
[i][b]Greyblade[/b] - SPC: 6[/i]
[i][b]CrossWing[/b] - SPC: 2[/i][/center]

"Battle. Sun Dragon Inti, direct attack." Not even deigning to declare a target, Sinclair simply pointed at Kiishiro ahead of her, and her monster charged with holy flame.

"Trap activate! Lost Star Descent!" Kiishiro retorted. "A Synchro monster from my Graveyard is revived in defense position. However, its defense power is reduced to 0, and its effect is negated. Scrap Dragon came up with a mechanized roar, staring defiantly at the stronger Sun Dragon. Sinclair was silent for a second. Kiishiro, though, had no doubt that she would destroy his monster, in fear of Yenma using it to his advantage next turn -

[spoiler=Lost Star Descent][b]Lost Star Descent[/b]
TRAP / Normal
Select 1 Synchro Monster in your Graveyard and Special Summon it in face-up Defense Position. Its effect is negated, its Level is reduced by 1 and its DEF becomes 0. Its battle position cannot be changed.[/spoiler]

- then she pointed backwards. Kiishiro's eyes bulged as the Sun Dragon floated away from him, changing the direction it was facing. Yenma's face was white with terror. Four dragonheads reached down to him. The last thing Kiishiro could hear before a massive explosion was an agonized scream.

---

There was fire. Fire and death coruscated onto Yenma. He felt as if his very flesh was being scorched to ruin, as if his skin was literally melting away. He screamed. His mind blacked out, and he lost control of his D-Wheel. He was dying. In that massive inferno, he would leave his last breath.

A faint light glowed from the top of his deck. He spared a glance for it with eyes that were difficult to keep open. Was thought fading away? Was his mind playing tricks on him? No. Black strings of energy exploded from his deck, surrounding him. Each one was thin as a thread, but there were many, countless, wrapping around him, shielding him with blessed darkness from the malevolent heat. Grasping that one chance, he straightened his bike, and plowed forward, bursting through shadow and flame into the circuit once more.

He was panting heavily. His very mind felt strained, every one of his bones aching. This was - this was what had sent the other people into a coma? Had it not been for those rays of black light, he was sure he would have been consumed by the agony.

"Yenma! Are you alright?!" He distantly heard Kiishiro's distant scream. He blinked furiously, trying to clear his visage from the black spots. He was way behind now, having just taken 3000 points worth of damage. In the blink of an eye, he had fallen to last place.

[i][b]Greyblade[/b] - LP: 500[/i]

"I... I think so." He panted warily. "I haven't felt that much pain in my life... is this..."

"We'll talk later! Yenma, she must have had a reason for targeting you, rather than destroy my monster!" Kiishiro warned. Indeed, Yenma watched in despair, as Sinclair flipped around the sole card in her hand.

A Speed Spell.

"Speed World 2's effect." She said mercilessly. "By removing 4 Speed Counters, for each Speed Spell held, 800 points of damage is inflicted." Then it became clear. Why Sinclair had ignored the threat of Kiishiro's Synchro monster that could be used by Yenma next turn. Yenma wouldn't be there to use it. He closed his eyes, reflecting. 800 points of damage wasn't that much, compared to the horror from before. But - he had a sinking feeling - if he lost this duel, he would surely perish.

Sinclair turned her D-Wheel around, facing Yenma. Energy charged in its front.

This was it.

But -

"Trap, activate!" Kiishiro yelled, startling him. All three turned to see what Kiishiro had used. "Mind Crush! If I declare a card name, and that card is in my opponent's hand, it is sent to the Graveyard! And the declared name is - Speed Spell - Half Seize!"

[spoiler=Mind Crush][b]Mind Crush[/b]
TRAP / Normal
Declare 1 card name. If that card is in your opponent's hand, they must discard all copies of it in their hand. to the Graveyard. If it is not, you randomly discard 1 card.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Speed Spell - Half Seize][b]Speed Spell - Half Seize[/b]
SPELL / Normal
Activate only while you have 3 or more Speed Counters. Select 1 face-up monster on the field. Halve that monster's ATK, and gain an equal amount of Life Points.[/spoiler]

Yenma breathed in relief as the card in Sinclair's hand forcibly went to the Graveyard. He had been saved - as expected, Kiishiro-san was a superb duelist.

"Yenma! Grab that chance and finish this!" Kiishiro called out. Yenma smiled feebly, bracing himself.

"My turn! Draw!" He declared.

"Speed World 2's effect activates, letting me draw once more!" He added one more card to his hand.

[i][b]Greyblade[/b] - SPC: 0[/i]

"I Summon Turbo Synchron!" He said, and a small green robot with boosters on its back appeared. "Then, I tune Kiishiro-san's now Level 7, Scrap Dragon, with my Level 1, Turbo Synchron!" It was exhilerating. The wind was surging around him. He was running faster than he ever had before. Black waves surged around him, and the wind picked up to a howling gale. "Synchro Summon!!" A single blazing green circle formed in front of him, blazing with light. The gust pulsed and waned, blew outwards, pushing into that single circle. Kiishiro-san's dragon shattered into light, six clustering stars filing into the pathway of their monster's union. White and black waved into existence, forming strange, massive feathers that united into bladed white wings and the pitch-black torso of a dragon-like creature. It was more of an archaic bird than an actual dragon of conventional design, but it was imposing nonetheless, twin glowing red eyes shining as it burst into existence, its beak opening to unleash a shrilling sound. This was -

" - Blackfeather Dragon!!"

[spoiler=Turbo Synchron][b]Turbo Synchron[/b]
WIND / Machine / Tuner
Level 1
100/500
When this card declares an attack, you can change the attack target to Defense Position. When you take Battle Damage while this card is attacking, you can Special Summon 1 monster from your hand with ATK equal to or less than the Battle Damage you took.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Blackfeather Dragon][b]Blackfeather Dragon[/b]
DARK / Dragon / Synchro
Level 8
2800/1600
1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters.
Whenever you would take damage from a card effect, place 1 Black Feather Counter on this card instead. This card loses 700 ATK for each Black Feather Counter on it. Once per turn, you can remove all Black Feather Counters on this card to have 1 face-up monster your opponent controls lose 700 ATK for each Black Feather Counter, and inflict damage to your opponent equal to the ATK lost by that monster because of this effect.[/spoiler]

Yenma watched with elation as the majestic creature soared beside him. Its power stood at 2800, not enough to take down Sun Dragon Inti. Not yet. But, Yenma had a different target in mind.

"Blackfeather Dragon, direct attack!" He ordered, pointing at CrossWing. Instantly, the black dragon opened its jaws, and crimson-and-black energy surged between them. It drew its head back before lunging forward, unleashing it into a spiralling, massive stream. The very air vibrated with its intensity as it warped around CrossWing's D-Wheel, enveloping Yenma's opponent in his entirety. A loud burst echoed across the ridge, and a massive sphere of black energy, sparkling with scarlet waves, consumed the area of impact. When it cleared, there was nothing left.

[i][b]Greyblade[/b] - LP: 500[/i]
[i][b]CrossWing[/b] - LP: 0[/i][/center]

"I set one card face-down. Turn end." Yenma continued, allowing Blackfeather Dragon to settle proudly next to him, floating forward along with his D-Wheel.

Now, only one opponent was left. Even if Sinclair had the strongest monster on the field, and over double their combined Life Points - Yenma did not doubt, that Kiishiro and himself could win together.

"My turn. Draw!" Kiishiro said.

[center][i][b]Thunderbolt Knight[/b] - SPC: 8[/i]
[i][b]Greyblade[/b] - SPC: 1[/i][/center]

"Behold! I summon Debris Dragon!" He announced, and the monster Yenma had used earlier as well appeared on the field. "Debris Dragon's effect activates, Special Summoning Dandylion from my Graveyard! And now I tune my Level 3 Dandylion to my Level 4 Debris Dragon!" Yenma held his breath - he felt the underlying link as the two monsters split into circles and stars. This was the monster that connected the two duelists, the same as Blackfeather Dragon. A bond beyond the boundaries of this virtual space. "Synchro Summon! Appear, Black Rose Dragon!" The black-and-red blossom-like dragon was, Yenma thought, at least as spectacular as his own monster. The fact that he had never heard of either of the existence of either before did not trouble him for the moment, as he relished in the spectacle of the two creatures, opposite to each other. And between them, an enemy that had to be defeated.

[spoiler=Debris Dragon][b]Debris Dragon[/b]
WIND / Dragon / Tuner
Level 4
1000/2000
When this card is Normal Summoned, you can Special Summon 1 monster with 500 or less ATK from your Graveyard in Attack Position. That monster's effect(s) is negated. This card cannot be used as a Synchro Material Monster, except for the Synchro Summon of a Dragon-Type Synchro Monster. The other Synchro Material Monster(s) cannot be Level 4.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Black Rose Dragon][b]Black Rose Dragon[/b]
FIRE / Dragon / Synchro
Level 7
2400/1800
When this card is Synchro Summoned, you can destroy all cards on the field. Once per turn, you can remove from play 1 Plant-Type monster from your Graveyard to change 1 Defense Position monster your opponent controls to face-up Attack Position, and reduce its ATK to 0 until the End Phase.[/spoiler]

"Dandylion's effect activates, Special Summoning two tokens to my field." Kiishiro continuing, letting a small plant appear on either side of the rose-like dragon.

"Trap, activate!" Yenma said. "Synchro Stream! This card targets a Synchro monster on my field, and transfers its attack power to another Synchro monster!" Blackfeather Dragon glowed with a black light, and energy flowed from the ring that formed around it to shroud Black Rose Dragon. Its attack points rose to 5600.

[spoiler=Synchro Stream][b]Synchro Stream[/b]
TRAP / Normal
Activate only while there are 2 or more face-up Synchro Monsters on the field. Select 1 of those monsters. When that monster attacks, you can have it gain ATK equal to the ATK of another face-up Synchro Monster on the field, except the selected monster, until the End Phase.[/spoiler]

"Battle!" Kiishiro said. "Black Rose Dragon, attack Sun Dragon Inti!" Black Rose Dragon's wings stirred, and a flowery gale formed in front of the creature, sending thousands of rose blossoms to envelop the smaller creature. The Sun Dragon was obliterated, and Sinclair shielded herself from the aftermath of the blast as her Life Points were cut down to 2600.

[i][b]Sinclair[/b] - LP: 3400[/i]
[i][b]Greyblade[/b] - LP: 500[/i][/center]

"Sun Dragon Inti's effect activates." She retaliated immediately. "Black Rose Dragon is destroyed, and damage will be dealt to you equal to half its attack points." A ghostly visage of the Sun Dragon materialized, lashing at Kiishiro's dragon with its four dragonheads. Black Rose Dragon was annihilated, but the fiery stream that headed towards Kiishiro abruptly changed directions, redirected towards Blackfeather Dragon instead. The creature took in the blast, neutralizing it with the claws that protruded from its chest. The two bottom bladed feathers on either wing turned into a deep crimson, and its attack power was reduced by 700, but all damage that would have been dealt to Kiishiro was neutralized.

"How's this?" Yenma cheered. "Blackfeather Dragon will negate an instance of effect damage, by adding one Black Feather Counter on itself and reducing its attack power by 700 points."

"Speed World 2's effect activates." Kiishiro continued. "I can reduce my Speed Counters by 7, and draw one card. I place one card face-down, turn end."

[i][b]Greyblade[/b] - SPC: 1[/i][/center]

"Draw." Sinclair said expressionlessly.

[i][b]Greyblade[/b] - SPC: 2[/i][/center]

"Speed Spell - Synchro Return. When Speed Counters are at five or above, a Synchro monster that is removed from play can be Special Summoned. Moon Dragon Quilla is revived. And then, Trap card, open. Torrential Burial. All monsters on the field are destroyed."

"Wha - ?" Sinclair had had Torrential Burial and had not used it to protect her teammate? If she had activated it earlier - they'd probably both still be in the game...

...but Sinclair would have no monsters. If she had used Torrential Burial in response to Blackfeather Dragon's summoning, Yenma would have had no way to get rid of CrossWing at the time. It was unlikely that CrossWing, with his depleted Life Points and empty hand and field, could manage something to compensate for the massive loss of advantage. And then it would be Kiishiro's turn, whom they considered by far the greatest threat. It was better to let CrossWing lose and maintain the ability to revive her loop, rather than protect her teammate.

This, more than anything else, revealed one thing to Yenma. Those two were not teammates. They were not allies. They were simply pieces of a machine, working together to win the duel. If one piece broke, the remains would try their best to achieve that purpose, even alone. And now that situation had left them in a very disadvantageous condition, as all monsters on the field were obliterated in an instant, and the form of Sun Dragon Inti emerged from the Graveyard.

[spoiler=Speed Spell - Synchro Return][b]Speed Spell - Synchro Return[/b]
SPELL / Normal
Activate only when you have 5 or more Speed Counters. Special Summon 1 Synchro Monster that is removed from play. That Synchro Monster is removed from play during the End Phase.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Moon Dragon Quilla][b]Moon Dragon Quilla[/b]
DARK / Dragon / Synchro
Level 6
2500/2000
"Supay" + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
When this card is selected as an attack target, gain Life Points equal to half the attacking monster's ATK. If this card on the field is destroyed, you can Special Summon 1 "Sun Dragon Inti" from your Graveyard.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Torrential Burial][b]Torrential Burial[/b]
TRAP / Normal
Activate only when a monster is Summoned. Destroy all monsters on the field.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Sun Dragon Inti][b]Sun Dragon Inti[/b]
LIGHT / Dragon / Synchro
Level 8
3000/2800
"Red Ant Ascator" + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
When this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard, destroy the monster that destroyed this card, and inflict damage to your opponent equal to half that monster's ATK. If this card on the field is destroyed, during the Standby Phase of the next turn, you can Special Summon 1 "Moon Dragon Quilla" from your Graveyard.[/spoiler]

"Battle. Sun Dragon Inti, direct attack." The dragon roared, aiming its fiery assault at Kiishiro.

"Trap card, open! Holy Barrier - Mirror Force!" Kiishiro retaliated, left with no other defense against the fearsome monster. Holy energy wiped out the Sun Dragon almost instantly. But this was well within Sinclair's calculations.

"Turn end." She said simply.

"My... my turn." Yenma said. At that time, Moon Dragon Quilla was revived in defense position.

[i][b]Greyblade[/b] - SPC: 3[/i][/center]

This was extremely troublesome. It had taken them a lot of time and effort to get rid of that combo. Even if they had the advantage, theoretically... it would all be for nothing unless he could find a way to reverse it. He glanced at the card he had drawn. Not much to do with it. On the other hand, if it was combined with the card he had set two turns ago, his trump card... then Kiishiro might be able to create some condition for victory. It was unlikely. But Yenma had decided to place his trust on his ally.

"I summon Junk Synchron in defense mode!" He said, bringing forth a peculiar mechanized warrior in an orange suit, with large round glasses and a massive hat sitting atop its head. "Junk Synchron's effect activates, letting me Special Summon any Level two or lower monster from my Graveyard - however, its effects are negated. So, return, Turbo Synchron!" He now held a field of two Tuners. But, by themselves, they weren't anywhere near enough. Not unless Kiishiro had the chance to use them.

"Turn end."

[spoiler=Junk Synchron][b]Junk Synchron[/b]
DARK / Warrior / Tuner
Level 3
1300/500
When this card is Normal Summoned, you can Special Summon 1 Level 2 or lower monster from your Graveyard in face-up Defense Position. That monster's effect(s) is negated.[/spoiler]

"My turn. Draw." Kiishiro said. If they were going to do it, it had to be now!

[i][b]Greyblade[/b] - SPC: 4[/i][/center]

"Reverse card, open!" Yenma exclaimed. "Return from the Different Dimension! I have to pay half my Life Points, but I can Special Summon as many of my removed from play monsters as possible! Return, Dark Simurgh, Shield Wing!" Holes opened in different realities, returning the massive black bird and the much smaller armored dragon. He did not know what else to do, except give Kiishiro what he might be able to use in order to win.

[spoiler=Return from the Different Dimension][b]Return from the Different Dimension[/b]
TRAP / Normal
Pay half your Life Points. Special Summon as many of your removed from play monsters as possible. During the End Phase, remove from play all monsters that were Special Summoned by this effect.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Dark Simurgh][b]Dark Simurgh[/b]
DARK / Winged Beast
Level 7
2700/1000
While this card is face-up on the field its Attribute is also treated as WIND. You can remove from play 1 DARK monster and 1 WIND monster from your Graveyard to Special Summon this card from your hand. You can remove from play 1 DARK monster and 1 WIND monster from your hand to Special Summon this card from your Graveyard. Your opponent cannot Set any cards on the field.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Shield Wing][b]Shield Wing[/b]
WIND / Winged Beast
Level 2
0/900
Up to twice per turn, if this card would be destroyed by battle, it is not destroyed.[/spoiler]

[i][b]Sinclair[/b] - LP: 3400[/i]
[i][b]Greyblade[/b] - LP: 250[/i][/center]

Kiishiro did not speak for a second, simply looking over the card in his hand, as if contemplating. Then -

"This duel has dragged on far enough, but it is time to finish it. I summon Battle Fader!" The pendulum-like fiend appeared in front of him.

[spoiler=Battle Fader][b]Battle Fader[/b]
DARK / Fiend
Level 1
0/0
When an opponent's monster declares a direct attack, you can Special Summon this card from your hand and end the Battle Phase. If this card is Special Summoned with this effect, remove it from play when it is removed from the field.[/spoiler]

"Yenma..." Kiishiro muttered as he glanced at the array of five monsters they had gathered. "This hope you have left on the field - "

" - I'll be using it!" He rushed on, leaving behind a blazing stream of dust. Sinclair pushed after him, with Yenma struggling to catch up. And then, a pulsing green light shrouded everything. "I tune Yenma's Level 7, Dark Simurgh, and my Level 1, Battle Fader, to Yenma's Level 1, Turbo Synchron! And I also tune Yenma's Level 2, Shield Wing, to his Level 3, Junk Synchron!" Yenma stared in shock as two Synchro Summons were performed simultaneously, converging lights intertwining and merging, until two monsters were revealed from their confines.

"Come forth! Mist Wurm! Scar Warrior!"

[spoiler=Mist Wurm][b]Mist Wurm[/b]
WIND / Thunder / Synchro
Level 9
2500/1500
1 Tuner + 2 or more non-Tuner monsters
When this card is Synchro Summoned, return up to 3 cards your opponent controls to the hand.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Scar Warrior][b]Scar Warrior[/b]
EARTH / Warrior / Synchro
Level 5
2100/1000
While this card is face-up on the field your opponent cannot select other Warrior-Type monsters as attack targets. Once per turn, if this card would be destroyed by battle, it is not destroyed.[/spoiler]

A massive blue serpent emerged out of some sort of hole in the clouds, roaring in a manner that made Yenma's hair stand on edge. Beside it, a smaller, yet still imposing man wrapped in what looked like an armor made of steel bandages, its weapon the edge of a sword attached to his arm, leapt next to Kiishiro.

"Mist Wurm's effect activates!" Kiishiro did not waste even a second. "When it is Synchro Summoned, up to three cards on the opponent's field can be returned to their controllers' hands! Of course, my target is Moon Dragon Quilla!" Removed as it was via an indirect manner, the lunar dragon could do nothing but dissipate in an spectrum of blue light, returning to Sinclair's Extra Deck.

And now the field was empty.

Kiishiro spun fiercely around, skidding to a halt. He raised his arm, pointing directly at his target who was coming at him at full speed. Her expression was so intense that she seemed willing to ram herself into Kiishiro, if it meant taking him down with her. But the two monsters were much faster. Mist Wurm released a bolt of thunder that enveloped Sinclair and her D-Wheel entirely, just as Scar Warrior ran up to her, stabbing her with his arm-knife before flipping backwards into its original position. As much as Yenma understood the necessity to win, he couldn't help but feel a pang of sympathy.

[i][b]Sinclair[/b] - LP: 0[/i]
[i][b]Greyblade[/b] - LP: 250[/i]
[i][b]CrossWing[/b] - LP: 0[/i][/center]

Yenma halted his D-Wheel next to Kiishiro's. Both duelists were exhausted, panting heavily from exertion. The holograms of the remaining monsters vanished. They were very close to the summit, and the view of the ridge was marvellous - but neither paid any heed. The final explosion had left no trace of Sinclair or her D-Wheel. After such a long, harrowing duel, this ending seemed rather... anti-climactic. But it was over. Kiishiro knew that something important had occured. From Yenma's acquisition of the Blackfeather Dragon, to those two peculiar duelists - something was out of place, and it was high time they discovered what.

"Let's go." Kiishiro said, taking a card out of his jacket's pocket.

"Go where?" Yenma asked, still a bit dazzled. He was wobbling as he climbed down from his D-Wheel, unused to such prolonged riding.

"To the Arc Cradle." Further explanations could wait, it seemed, as a portal opened to a bizarre new area. "To the citadel of God."
[/spoiler]

Finally, it's up.

100 Attack points. That's all I was off by. And I had to rewrite half this chapter twice because of it. Go figure. I'm making a resolution - I'm never posting a chapter that contains part of a duel that I haven't entirely written out. When / if the time for rewrites comes, I'll definitely redo part of this duel. At least it's done now. The ending isn't as good as it originally was, but hopefully it's still epic as

[spoiler=OMG]Battle Fader is Normal Summoned.[/spoiler]

Ahem. Anyways. The chapter is in my previous post. Go read it. And comment =/. I'll make certain to put up 16 quickly, to make up for this mess.

[quote name='Dr. Cakey' timestamp='1296509915' post='4977268']
Today, actually, I was writing a free-for-all duel and I the person who was meant to be OTKed had 50 Life Points left. 50!

Then I remembered somebody else had [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Unequal_Treaty"]Unequal Treaty[/url] out. That made me very happy.
[/quote]

This made me chuckle.

[quote name='Dr. Cakey' timestamp='1296509915' post='4977268']
Today, actually, I was writing a free-for-all duel and I the person who was meant to be OTKed had 50 Life Points left. 50!

Then I remembered somebody else had [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Unequal_Treaty"]Unequal Treaty[/url] out. That made me very happy.
[/quote]

There is just one problem with this... I don't know what you are writing, but it's hard to envision a person using that card. In this story, people tend to generally stick to what is currently considered at least playable, if not competitive - while at the same time, 'weaker' duelists having access to weaker cards being attributed to Duel Point accumulation etc, but generally I'd have no excuse for making someone play a terrible or situational card to match the needs of the plot. That's one of the greatest challenges with this story, actually.

Anyways, chapter 16, and prepare for a long read, with a pop culture(?) reference (don't hate me for it xD) and an infodump that [s]probably[/s] won't make much sense, at least not just yet. No duel this time. But you'll finally get some insight on our thus far primary villains' goals and motivations, and some other things.

Enjoy.

[spoiler=Chapter 16]
[center][b][u]Chapter 16:[/b] Crevice to the Different Dimension[/u][/center]

Humans seek danger. The roots of this fact can be traced back to the very nature of mankind. Ironically, it is self-preservation rather than self-destruction that guides them to actively search out peril. What is feared is dangerous. What is dangerous can harm me. What can harm me must be eliminated. What must be eliminated must be fought. The only way to safely eliminate a threat is to destroy its source. This instinctual behavior guides men to an erratic behavioral pattern. Refusal to acknowedge fear, and a desire to confront it - this is what drives them beyond the edge, but this is also what carves the path to glory.

But, there are different types of fear. The palpable, pulsing fear of something dangerous, something new and exciting, something that a man feels he can tackle if he just goes a little above his limit. And there is the primordial dread. Forces that cannot be comprehended, whose origin cannot be reached. Things that do not make sense to the human mind. The stuff of nightmares - whispers in the dark, creeping shadows, a sensation of 'wrongness', an irregularity that drives the human mind to madness. Yes, things that even the bravest man who would turn his nerves to steel and face death would be reduced to the state of an infant, were he to confront them.

Mankind might have to live through such instances in the coming months, Gregory Dunkan thought. But for the moment, he was experiencing a more conventional type of fear. He did not shun away or deny it. He accepted and understood it, and turned that fear into determination.

When, twenty years ago, he had first learned of the intertwining realities, sewn together by the infinite tapestry of the universe, to say he had been shocked had been an understatement. In a sense, this had been a discovery unlike any other in the history of humanity. So far, mankind had only been able to discover, prove, and analyze what they coukd 'see'. The sole development of their vaunted technology had been merely an improvement over that sight. Yet for the first time, things that could not be 'seen' became undeniable, complete truth.

It had all started in year 2012 AD. Like every year when some peculiar happenstance occured, doomsday pseudo-prophets had predicted that the end of the world would occur in the twelfth of the twelfth month of that year. What basis they had for their arguments was irrelevant. Of course, the day came and passed, and no grand threat to the safety of the world had been realized. Yet at the same time, many people claimed they had 'felt' something during that day. Some described it as a creeping terror, others merely an uneasiness, others yet had different, more flowery opinions, each more extravagant than the last. But most attributed it to the hype about the end of the world.

Not Dunkan. A psychology major at the time, he had studied the phenomenon extensively, and had entirely different views. Of the myriads of reported cases, a single fact stood out, a fact that Dunkan himself had discovered. A massive amount of people whose medical records indicated they had recovered from a near-death experience some time during their lives had applied for psychological aid during that time. Further research only deepened the links. People with reported metaphysical experiences, prone to various psychological disorders, insomniacs - just about two thirds of the cases could have a relevant scenario traced back to them.

From a layman's perspective, this might come across as less puzzling than to the expert. Why wouldn't those people, who were already a little light in the head, so to speak, be the first ones to be afflicted by this mysterious new 'psycho-affliction' as they called it? But the experts knew better. There was no solid link between these cases to suggest any liability to this new phenomenon, and there was no satisfactory theory that connected the remaining one third of the cases, some of which were of disturbing severeness. The situation escalated towards the end of the year, with a wave of sudden, violent suicides being the center of attention. Even more baffling - most of these suicides were people who had not reported any strange symptoms during the infamous 'December 12th'.

Even though many conspiracy theories had emerged at the time, after a few months of relative quiet, the issue had been all but forgotten. However, there were some people, some who had noticed more than the others, who had delved deeper into the mysteries of that day, who had touched things that were not, perhaps, meant to be touched, that did not forget. Dunkan was among them - a team of leading experts of the world's sciences, numbering no more than fifty people. The product of those brilliant minds' labor and five years of hard work was an astounding discovery. The world had not been destroyed in December 12th. But [i]something[/i] had been.

First they had named it 'the Gap'. Something empty where there should be no emptiness, a void in the solid, a hole in what was real. It could be 'seen', if one was looking hard enough, but never touched. A place where geometrical lines connected somewhat oddly, a spot where the light created a shadow of an impossible shape. They were difficult to locate even for those who knew what they were looking for, and they almost never existed for more than a few seconds, but that was enough to discover their existence.

For a civilization soaring to the peak of its technology, such a discovery was not something that could be publicized without being ridiculed. But the wrongness was there, and once seen, could not be disproven. For all the prowess of the modern world, it seemed that a different, 'wrong' world was there, floating right beside the 'right' one, invisible, inaccessible, but there. But, that was a standstill. The holes were there, but could not be touched. There was no way to understand their meaning or purpose. Until one day, a revelation came to being from the most unlikely of sources.

At the time, around 2017, the technological trend was virtualization of reality. The origins of the <Real System> could be traced to back then, although of course, noone had even dreamed of applying it to something like a card game. The peak of the technological advancements, at the time, was the ability to create the illusion of a real world within one's mind, stimulating the brain directly. Medical science had advanced enough to render this quite safe, and for the most part, the entertainment industry of all sorts greatly profited from it. From video games to nightclubs, a large part of lifestyle was implemented virtually, allowing people with time constraints or disabilities - but still with a lot of money - to enjoy themselves in manners that would otherwise be impossible for them.

After a short while, an awareness movement rose against this virtualization trend, and people became frightened of their 'fake' lifestyles. The virtual technology receded in publicity, and one could almost say the world reverted back almost a dozen years as far as widespread technology was concerned. But all of this was irrelevant to Dunkan and his group, which had discovered something altogether different via this technology.

Theoretically, everything that occured in a 'V-Space' - as those instances of virtual reality were called back then - was isolated there. Damage to the mind was possible from overstimulation, but that was a different condition. Even the most violent, brutal experiences, if regulated carefully, would leave the user wholly unharmed. A lot of applications, from video gamees to military training programs, had experimented broadly with this. Virtual reality was safe, as long as it functioned properly. And steps were taken to ensure that it did.

If one studied the issue superficially, it would have ended there. But Dunkan and the others, who had not given up on researching the Gap, went further. They experimented, creating V-Spaces that functioned on alternate time scales. The people who were used to test this would spend months in a V-Space, whereas only a few hours would pass in the real world. Of course, the legality of such experiments was obscure, and the truth had to be subverted sometimes, but it was all for the good of progress.

And they aged. Body and mind showed signs of experiencing the full timeframe that passed in the V-Space, which should not have been possible according to current data. And one day - they left a person inside a V-Space for a virtual time frame of sixty years.

He died there.

This was a great breakthrough for Dunkan. Space, they might have crossed, but not time. If time could not be conquered with the alteration of space, things did not work as intended. There was an external factor, some greater law that regulated the function of the virtual realities. And incidentally, this was exactly what Dunkan was researching. Alternate worlds.

They felt their way blindly, like infants seeking how to walk. The progress was not easy, was not cheap, and was not fast. But it happened, and though they still had no way to access, no way to actually perceive, the different worlds that existed alongside reality, through the V-Spaces, a poor mimicry as they might be of this multiversal structure, they were able to conclusively determine their existence.

The team reached a breaking point - literally. Some wanted to publicize this knowledge. Others wanted to sell it to governmental organizations. Others still wanted to keep it secret, as there was nothing to be done with it yet. And others - others like Dunkan - wanted to use it. So they broke up into various groups, each going their own way. Or so they thought - but Dunkan's team quickly ensured that those who had to stay silent, would. Soon, a select group of twelve were the only ones that remained of the original fifty, retaining full knowledge of the secrets that had been uncovered.

For Dunkan, who had aspired to make full use of the possibilities this fractured reality offered, there was one fact which was at the same time the greatest threat, and the greatest opportunity. He might not be able to cross the Gap into those other worlds. But Others were. That was the name they gave them at first, Others. Later, they called them Transcendents. No humans, none that they could find - and they had searched [i]a lot[/i] - belonged to this group. But [i]things[/i] did. At first, those Others were nothing more than fleeting illusions. Immaterial things, visions of ghosts and spectres, sightings of UFOs - not every one of those things could be traced to the Gap, but a lot of things could, and the rest was extrapolation.

But soon, Dunkan realized, it wasn't just illusions, like those you might experience in a V-Space. More precisely, it was never illusions. What crossed the Gap between worlds were streams of energy, crystallized energy. And one expert in theoretical philosophy who worked under Dunkan once said, describing that phenomenon: possibilities, shadows of a world subtly different, things that [i]could[/i] have been, but were not. Phantasms.

And while that energy took no definite form as of yet, and had no material substance - what if something was to cross fully from one space to the other? What if a thing unheard of in this world suddenly became part of it? It wouldn't do to imagine giant alien monsters like those in Japanese cult movies. All that had to pass would be a tiny little virus, one against which humanity happened to be vulnerable to, without a chance to develop antibodies. Something like this could literally mean the end of mankind.

With this, it all clicked. The events in the 12th of December that had sparked this whole research project. This world had not been destroyed. [i]Another[/i] had been. What they had felt was the echo of that annihilation. A dread of the world being shattered, literally next to them, just beyond the edge of sight. So close that they felt they could touch it, and so far that they would sooner reach the moon with a single leap. Those who were more 'aware' than others had felt it, the afterglow of that obliteration. It was too horrible to even consider, but at the same time, it was a conclusion reached via an extremely long series of extremely small, precise steps. Dunkan was certain of it now.

Since something could cross from other worlds into this one, the reverse should be possible. But as closely as the Gap was monitored, no instance of such an occurence was observed. And then, a different question arose. However many those incidents might seem on a small scale - if there were infinite worlds out there, no matter how small the chance of a phantasm crossing, shouldn't the frequency be much more noticeable? And then, another hypothesis came into being. Things could not cross from one world to the other. There had to be something between the worlds, something that would prevent them from colliding into each other. So unless that something was bridged, there was no way into other worlds.

And here was where the V-Spaces came to provide the answer. If they could not reach other worlds through this reality, maybe a virtual reality was that exact medium they needed. But the technology had already faded away, and Dunkan and the others needed a new incentive to spark it up. Thus, Duel International was born, and Duel Monsters became, rather randomly, the new craze in entertainment. But even Dunkan could not have predicted the true impact this implementation would have.

Why were the only ones to have sightings of aliens the ones who already vehemently believed in their existence? Was it just an illusion, a figment of fantasy produced to support the insubstantial belief? Dunkan's discoveries proved otherwise. Then, what was the connecting link?

Imagination. The human mind was a vast force. From the Gap, energy streamed in. Then, imagination gave it form, manipulated it into reality. And in a virtual space, where the Transcendents were much more potent, much more [i]real[/i] - fully-fledged miracles could, theoretically, be materialized just by imagination.

This was one critical point. The other, which had been raised much earlier, was time. Insofar, they had researched space. What about time? What was, ultimately, the universal law that governed time? The answer to this had proven much harder to unveil. Time was a constant, it seemed, in a multiverse of variables. For all the progress they had made concerning the Gap and different worlds, time was still a mystery untampered with. It was not until recently, very recently, that another breakthrough was reached.

The Nexus. The principle of chaos - laws should not be violated. When something that should not be, was, chaos sprang into being. This was true in any single reality, and was true when multiple realities were concerned as well. This multidimensional chaos took forms of giant energy masses - literally, massive gatherings of Others - floating in-between worlds. Violation of space, traversing the Gap - a Nexus was born and enlarged with them. They had not known it yet - they could not have known it - but violating time would be an entirely different matter.

Dunkan had prepared for this, had been ready for it since all those years ago when he first [i]felt[/i] the wrongness, the irregularity. He had been prepared for the Nexus Nebulae that crossed into the Outer Sphere - this was the given name for the thin wrapping of un-reality that isolated the worlds, the tapestry pierced by the Gap - and he had been prepared for the time when, finally, he would be able to touch the Nexus.

The Nexus, though, was unstable, and extremely potent. To touch it would mean to burn yourself to cinders, to utterly negate your existence, to possibly make it as if countless realities never existed. It had to be regulated, tamed, controlled. For that reason, the Pylons were structured. The strongest phantasms, objects of imagination so powerful that they could single-handedly materialize miracles - and disasters - by their mere existence.

Imaginary Gods.

Materializing the impossible, harnessing power beyond reality - this was Dunkan's goal. This was the miracle that needed to be accomplished. Beyond technology, beyond reality, beyond even reason - all that they could hope for, was that it was still within the boundaries of imagination. All that they could hope for, was that imagination had no boundaries.

Had they considered the possibility of failure? Had they considered the [i]consequences[/i] of failure? They had. The weak-minded broke away. The strong-willed went on. What was it that drove them? Could it still be attributed to the desire to face the unknown, to conquer the unconquerable? Was it a higher goal, or personal ambition? It did not matter. What was destined to happen, would. From now on, they were no longer people. They were the hands of fate, paving the path into the heart of the Nexus. Into the center of all, the core of existence, the ultimate destiny of all that is, was, and will ever be.

Unbeknowst to them, they were not the only ones. They were not the first ones. Others had reached there before them, others had made the choices that could break the world, that could break many worlds. Others had broken worlds. And one of those, a breaker, a savior, a herald of destiny, observed Gregory Dunkan as he prepared to tamper with powers whose true extent he could not even begin to comprehend.

ZONE watched, and waited. He could intervene, perhaps, if he stretched his powers. If not stop it entirely, at least set back their plans enough so that they could never again be set to motion in those wretched humans' lifetimes. Or, he could eliminate the humans themselves. But he no longer had that right. He no longer was a chosen of fate. He had gambled and lost, risked and failed, challenged and fallen. Destiny had abandoned him, the world had abandoned him, all worlds had abandoned him. All he was was a lingering ghost, drifting between realities. He could not do anything. He could simply hope that the ones he had guided, the ones he would guide, could, perhaps, make the better choice. Or at least stop those who would make the worse one.

Hope.

ZONE turned his attention to the vessels of such hope. Kiishiro's growth had been rewarding. And it seemed that, just as ZONE had predicted, another one of those five cards had found its way into the hands of someone capable of unleashing its potential. If it was divine providence, or plain irony, he did not know. But he could not let those cards be used for the wrong purposes. At all costs, them falling into the hands of those who planned to violate the Nexus was out of the question.

---

Kiishiro, followed by Yenma, landed smoothly on the upper deck of the Arc Cradle. They were near the edge now, no guardrail to safeguard them from a potential fall into the abyss of stormclouds below. All around them, debris towered in various forms and shapes - but a broad circuit was surprisingly well-maintained. The uppermost Riding arena of the Arc Cradle, Kiishiro would hazard a guess. The circular road surrounded a massive wall of prismatic rainbow-colored energy. He had never seen what was inside that core. He only knew that it was shaped like a cylinder, reaching all the way to the depths of the structure, depths he hadn't yet been allowed to explore.

"What is this place?" Yenma gasped, taking everything in with awe.

"It's called the Arc Cradle." Kiishiro said. "Yenma, what is currently happening is very serious. The folks who run this virtual reality - Duel International - have some very sinister plans. You probably won't take me seriously if I say this now, but the whole world might be in danger. Whatever the case, we certainly are. The only way to survive here, is to fight against them."

"You mean the people falling into comas?" Yenma questioned.

"Yes. They were fighting opponents known as Ghosts, bots that were rigged to induce shock onto their enemies by dueling, shock strong enough to translate to brain damage in reality. We don't know what happens to their victims here, but in our world, they simply collapse, unable to wake up. Unless we do something, those people are doomed. Unless we do something, we are also doomed. We are in their complete mercy here, and this place is one of the few sanctuaries where they can't attack us."

Yenma remained silent, as he absorbed all this information. Not wanting to confuse him any further, Kiishiro began driving again, leading him to the elevator that would take them into the heart of the floating fortress. ZONE could explain everything better. Kiishiro believed Yenma might be able to disconnect now, but thankfully, he seemed to be content to follow Kiishiro for the moment. Unless he was far off his mark, ZONE intended to recruit Yenma as he had done with him. He hoped the experience would be a little less... painful. But Kiishiro would now have a chance to inquire further into the oddities of the Dragons he and Yenma used, as well as the mystery behind the crimson mark.

All the while, of course, investigating these new enemies that had appeared, and keeping track of Duel International's plans. The situation would become even more chaotic soon enough, and, according to ZONE, they were going to need everything they could get on their side to even the odds.

---

Three Pylons were a perfect assortment for a single Nexus. The tripolar system was flawless. It was the only way. Three Pylons, each consisting of three points. They would form a nine-pronged star around the Nexus, preventing it from exploding when the time would come to stretch it. Then the system would relocate to an eight-pronged rectangle, with a single point in the center, preventing it from imploding when the time would come to shrink it. Dunkan claimed that they had made generous calculations, left room for massive margins of error. He claimed that six would be enough. Two Pylons! It was ridiculous. Dunkan did not understand numbers like he did. He had claimed they had to make haste. Haste would be disaster. Whole worlds, extinguished in the blink of an eye. Because Cornelius had betrayed them. Sarunoki Moboro's hands clenched and unclenched, already drenched in sweat he did not remember shedding. The moment he had suspected something, Moboro had had that Klein assassinated. The plan could not be risked. But that ridiculous bastard had done something - he did not know what - that had taken the Pylon away from them! Moboro did not know, but he would find out. He would retrieve the Pylon's points before it was too late. Before that damned Dunkan doomed them all with his ambitious madness. It had to be three.

---

Sighing softly, the man who was observing Yenma and Kiishiro's efforts against the two opponents he had set them against leaned back on his chair. He was of short stature, his hair balding and grey with age. He was not as old as he seemed, though. Stress and a busy lifestyle tended to do injustice to a man's looks. He rubbed his short beard, watching the computer screen carefully.

The 'Sabers' he had created were superior, in some ways, to the Cataphracts. The man had to scavenge through the deleted files of the entire company to create the things, using supposedly purged accounts as the basis and imbuing them with advanced artificial intelligence programs of his own design, mimicking and in some cases improving the patterns of their previous owners. Though he had been forced to limit their functions, lest they were tracked down sooner than the time he had predetermined, they were still very capable.

CrossWing, the account of the kid who had 'unfortunately' died during the testing phase of the Riding Duel system. That was the handiwork of Gregory Dunkan. A dangerous person, he was playing on a different scale than the others. The man was willing to wager that those 'Machine Emperor' cards that had appeared during that duel were some sort of safeguard he had set, in case the others betrayed him, or his plans otherwise failed. And Sinclair, the alternate account that the European champion, Kirizaki Maya, was using as a cover-up for her activities in the virtual world. One of Cornelius Klein's last actions had been to delete that account. The man could understand the logic behind that - if Cornelius wanted Maya to champion some sort of resistance against Duel International, she had to be willing to bring out her full power here. But, if she was caught unprepared, she might not have a chance to. A drastic measure, but supposedly an effective one.

It was ironic that, though both these men could be considered enemies, they had provided him with surprisingly valuable material to work with. He almost chuckled at the thought of how much was going on behind the scenes - so much, that even Dunkan's formidable intellect wouldn't be able to comprehend until it was too late.

They were all mustering their forces, all setting their fields. The enigma that was ZONE. Dunkan and his lackeys. The man himself. And others, many others. Jacqueline had already began testing the Cataphracts. Soon, the time would come to upgrade them.

The first battles were already done and over with. But the war had not yet truly began, and if the victors slept soundly now, comfortable in their triumph - oh, they would be in for a massive shock.

---

Hikari ran a hand through her wavy blonde hair, sighing softly. Yakuzo-sensei had given her a lot of heat for that hair color, refusing to believe it was natural. Well, it would have been extremely strange if she was fully Japanese, but the Netherlands blood that ran in her family had come off surprisingly strong in her. Perhaps for the first time in a while, she was at a loss.

In front of her, atop twin beds sealed in a separate ward of the hospital, lay two young boys. One was Hikari's son, Yuusuke. The second was, reportedly, a classmate of his, Nakazawa Shugo. They had both been found unconscious while connected to the Duel Terminal system. Hikari pursed her lips. She had strictly forbidden Yuusuke to access it, yet - no use dwelling on that. The strange part was, Yuusuke was, technically, fine. From a medical perspective, contrary to Shugo's comatose, limp state, his unconsciousness would just seem to be the product of a simple fainting.

She was worried, extremely concerned. For her son, as well as the other children. The boy named Okubo Bokkai had died in front of her eyes after collapsing into a delirious state. Hikari would personally have gone to the police headquarters immediately after that incident, but Yuusuke was found shortly thereafter, so she was forced to divert her priorities.

From a medical perspective, Yuusuke's condition was an extraordinary phenomenon. Compared to the other patients in a critical state, compared to the dying, the dead, he was quite almost safe and sound. But for how long? What was he experiencing in that trance? They had tried to forcefully pull him off the network. Taihito had scoured the entire virtual world for it, and would have done more, but it seemed his privileges had been toned down since the incident one week ago. That was another trouble, for another day. The point is, they could not find Yuusuke. She had to -

Suddenly, he screamed. Hikari rushed to Yuusuke's side - he let out another blood-curling yell, as he twisted around under the covers. She immediately stomped on the intercom to call for assistance, while trying her best to restrain him. He was sweating profusely, his breathing came out ragged, and his muscles seemed out of control. His pulse was rising, fast. Panic surged in Hikari's mind. No! She had to stay calm. As the assistant nurses and doctors barged in the room in a rush, carrying the appropriate equipment, she held her son firmly in place.

She would see him through this, definitely.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Hint]Also, no, what Dunkan was doing in the beginning of the chapter isn't revealed in this one, so don't bother looking too hard for it.[/spoiler]

I need to find the time to get to read the new Chapters ;_; I can honestly say though that they'll be awesome, and possibly even more awesome then the previous ones. A quick tip though, one I am not sure if I have already given to you. I'm alright with the way your typing, but in some cases, I'm finding some of the paragraphs too large. It'd be like the first paragraph would take around 6-8 sentences or so (which I do not find as a lot, but average), but then right after, there'd be another paragraph with 12+ sentences, that could've been separated into instead two paragraphs with 6 or so sentences instead.

[quote name='Anbu-of-Sand' timestamp='1296690904' post='4983323']
I need to find the time to get to read the new Chapters ;_; I can honestly say though that they'll be awesome, and possibly even more awesome then the previous ones. A quick tip though, one I am not sure if I have already given to you. I'm alright with the way your typing, but in some cases, I'm finding some of the paragraphs too large. It'd be like the first paragraph would take around 6-8 sentences or so (which I do not find as a lot, but average), but then right after, there'd be another paragraph with 12+ sentences, that could've been separated into instead two paragraphs with 6 or so sentences instead.
[/quote]

I tend to break up text into paragraphs not based on size, but content. That's why there is such a variety, and that's the sense in using paragraphs - dividing your work into easy-to-read, comprehensible chunks that are bound together by the same basic idea. Of course, the point is to not go on and on without breaking the text. But I don't think any of the paragraphs I've made so far is really long. This isn't a script, after all. But I'll look out for it in the future.

Now, chapter 17. Again, this one turned longer than usual, but hopefully enjoyable, and with a sneak peak into the new meta (when March comes!)

[spoiler=Chapter 17]
[center][b][u]Chapter 17:[/b] Justice World[/u][/center]

Yuusuke slowly raised his arm, still armed with his Duel Disk. Shougo - no, Doveren, Shougo was not there any more - mimicked his motions inch for inch. Yuusuke harbored no illusions about why Jacqueline Deveraux had brought him here.

"What will you gain from this?" He demanded, carefully watching his opponent. He did not seem to have a will of his own. His eyes were glazed and unfocused, at contrast with the stark lines on his face and his stiff posture. He simply seemed to copy Yuusuke's movement, preparing for a duel between them.

"If he wins, I get rid of you." Jacqueline dropped her hypocritical facade. "You've been a thorn in our side ever since your involvement. Unfortunately, we cannot directly erase you due to... technicalities. So I'll have him do that instead."

"And if I win?" Yuusuke asked carefully.

"If you win." Jacqueline emphasized the 'if', and a very unpleasant smile formed across her lips. "If you win, we'll let you leave this virtual space. You will be free to report us to your authorities, or do whatever you think is necessary to hinder our purpose. I think most will just take you for insane, but some might actually believe you, if you are lucky enough."

"It can't be that simple." Yuusuke insisted. "What aren't you telling me?"

"If you win, he dies." She said simply, nodding in Shugo's direction. "You should understand that none of the people currently in a coma are in danger of dying, not as long as their bodies are supported properly. That is because their brain functions are still maintained in this virtual space as abstract data. They can even be partially restored, although most likely, some damage will be permanent. But if you win this duel here, then your friend will be gone forever, all traces of him erased. His mind will be reduced to an inanimate object, and his life will end."

"So you are telling me that it's either me who dies, or him?" Yuusuke cried out in disbelief. "What kind of twisted game is that? If you think I will be an accomplice to your murders..."

"Oh, but we are not asking you to be an accomplice." Jacqueline's terrible smile widened. "We are asking you to be the murderer."

"I refuse." Yuusuke said flatly. "I will have no part in this."

"As you will." Jacqueline merely nodded, as if she had expected nothing else. "Then I'll leave you here - I have other business to attend to. I trust you can find your way out of this space, even if you can't disconnect directly." She turned around, mounting her D-Wheel. "It is such a shame." She shook her head. "If only we had a choice... I suppose our contract with Aizawa Taihito must be... terminated, after all." Yuusuke could not see her face, as she had turned around. But he could feel his own features, contorted by anger. In the blink of an eye, he lunged at her. He would drag that wretched woman into the magma, be done with every last part of her. He'd be damned if -

Two pairs of strong hands brought him to his knees, suspending his arms behind his back. Doveren and that other 'Cataphract' had hurried to restrain him. Jacqueline had not even flinched.

"Such a violent, impulsive boy." She said, turning again to face him. "So, what will it be? Will you sacrifice your friend to save yourself? Sacrifice yourself to save your friend? Or sacrifice your father to save both of you? These choices are all that's left to you, now."

Yuusuke ground his teeth, trying in vain to free himself from his captors' grip. He did not know how physical prowess measured in this reality - there were no feats of strength that could be performed, and no action they could take actually required physical effort - but it was apparent those two were much stronger than him.

"Then I'll duel." He spat. "I will find a way to... to break your scheme."

"Have fun trying." Jacqueline laughed. "I promise that, should you win, you will have your opportunity to leave."

"I'll hold you to that promise, then." Yuusuke snarled in response. In truth, he didn't know what he was going to do. If he won, he saved himself and sacrificed Shugo. If he lost, Shugo would at least remain alive - but in what state? And he himself would die. There was no easy choice here. With the Ghosts, it was win or die. But what was he supposed to do now? He would have to find a way to break Jacqueline's game. But as long as they held Shugo, there was nothing he could to to ensure that.

If there was one thing, though, that Yuusuke did not like to do, that was giving up. He clenched his teeth and armed his Duel Disk, watching as his friend - his enemy - did the same. It was not a battle between a two. It was a one-sided struggle with no happy ending in sight. Jacqueline watched them, a mischievous glint in her eyes as they settled a fair distance away from each other. Several Cataphracts had already gathered to watch.

"Duel!!"

Both pressed the randomizer button almost at the same time. As it turned out, Doveren would start first.

[center][i][b]Doveren[/b] - LP: 4000[/i]
[i][b]Galahad[/b] - LP: 4000[/i][/center]

"By the way, they are not finalized yet." Jacqueline spoke of the Cataphracts affectionately, though it sounded more like a girl fretting over her dolls. "They can't speak." Indeed, Doveren wordlessly drew his opening hand, and then added one more card to it. Almost instantly he placed a monster on his disk's central slot - but it was reversed, in horizontal position, indicating a defensive stance. Surprisingly enough, no support cards were added. The overhead display that had been initialized automatically indicated the end of the first turn.

"My turn, then." Silent as his opponent might be, Yuusuke was just too used to declaring his moves. His hand wasn't the best, but he figured he could at least drag down whatever defense Doveren had played.

"I summon Lightlord Summoner Luminous!" He announced, allowing the tanned, blonde herald of the Lightlords to materialize in front of him. "The effect of Luminous activates! I can discard one card from my hand, then Special Summon a Level 4 or lower Lightlord monster in my Graveyard. But since I have none yet, I'll simply Special Summon the discarded one - come, Lightlord Warrior Garos!" The silver-armored halberdier soon joined the fray on Luminous' right side, brandishing his weapon.

[spoiler=Lightlord Summoner Luminous][b]Lightlord Summoner Luminous[/b]
LIGHT / Spellcaster
Level 3
1000/1000
Once per turn, you can discard 1 card to Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower "Lightlord" monster from your Graveyard. During each of your End Phases, send the top 3 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Lightlord Warrior Garos][b]Lightlord Warrior Garos[/b]
LIGHT / Warrior
Level 4
1850/1200
Each time a card(s) is sent from your Deck to the Graveyard by the effect of a "Lightlord" monster you control, except "Lightlord Warrior Garos", send the top 2 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard. Then, draw 1 card for each "Lightlord" monster sent to the Graveyard by this effect.[/spoiler]

"Battle! Garos, attack his reverse monster!" The Lightlord vanguard swiped at the hidden card with the tip of his spear. The brief image of a small warrior, looking like a bizarre cross between a pig, a monkey and a rat, yet clad in black armor and wearing a conical hat nonetheless, appeared briefly before being annihilated. But, despite its ludicrous appearance, Yuusuke felt a pang of worry. He knew that monster - and he also knew what came along with it.

"Uh-oh." Jacqueline said playfully. "That's Shien's Footsoldier. When it is destroyed by battle - "

"I know what the damn card does!" Yuusuke interrupted her irritably, as a new monster emerged on the field. This one was a warrior of an entirely different caliber, a man clad entirely in layered crimson plate covering even his head. Though his hands were free of conventional weaponry, it was hard to miss the pack of lit dynamite he was wielding.

[spoiler=Shien's Footsoldier][b]Shien's Footsoldier[/b]
EARTH / Warrior
Level 2
700/300
When this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard, you can Special Summon 1 Level 3 or lower "Six Samurai" monster from your Deck.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Six Samurai - Kamon][b]Six Samurai - Kamon[/b]
FIRE / Warrior
Level 3
1500/1000
Once per turn, while you control another "Six Samurai" monster with a different name, you can destroy 1 face-up Spell or Trap Card. This monster cannot declare an attack during the turn this effect is used. If this card would be destroyed, you can destroy another "Six Samurai" monster you control instead.[/spoiler]

So, a Six Samurai deck. The official name for them was 'Six Warmen', but noone really used that, having easily adopted the European mistranslation. Kamon was far from the most threatening of the Samurai. Yuusuke reminded himself that, unlike the Ghosts, who seemed to have just about any sort of card imaginable in their decks, he was fighting a duelist ranked merely 13. Chances were, he didn't have many strong cards in his deck. Chances were, Yuusuke could win without much of an issue.

But what would happen if he won?

Regardless, Kamon was strong enough to prevent Luminous from taking any further action. "I'll set a card face-down." Yuusuke said. "During the end phase, Luminous' effect activates, sending the upper three cards of my deck to the Graveyard." He plucked out three cards, discarding them. He nodded. He regretted losing his precious Raise Dead, but Necro Gardna would serve his purposes well, and Cherubim was one of the Lightlord monsters he needed to place in the Graveyard. "Furthermore, the effect of Garos activates! When another Lightlord monster sends cards from my deck to the Graveyard, Garos will send two more cards there, and allow me to draw a card for each Lightlord monster discarded by this effect." He picked up another two cards and held them up. Lightlord Paladin Jean and Lightlord Druid Aurkus? His luck couldn't be any better. By placing both of these monsters at his discard slot, he added another two cards to his hand.

[i]It's here.[/i]

Shivering slightly, Yuusuke held that card. With this, he could finish the duel in his next turn. It would be over, just like that. And Shugo - he would die.

"Turn end." He said simply.

Another card was drawn by Doveren. Immediately, a select card from his hand was played. But it was not a monster. Yuusuke quickly recognized the appearance of the Spell card that materialized behind Kamon, and recoiled in shock.

"O-ho. Designator from the Different Dimension. This is bad..." Jacqueline mused, seemingly amusing herself. Doveren typed something in a panel that briefly appeared next to him, and in the middle of the sky, the illusory visage of a card that was currently located in Yuusuke's hand appeared, flipping around in plain sight. That was -

- Judgment Dragon, the ultimate monster of the Lightlords, and the card that would win Yuusuke the duel.

And now it was removed from play, out of his reach. Steeling his nerves, Yuusuke pulled out the card and placed it in the separate fold of his Duel Disk designated for those cards that were removed from the game. He did not know if, thanks to some provisional 'modification', those Cataphracts had visual access to the cards in his hand. That hadn't seemed to be the case with Ghosts, at least. And whatever the case, he did not 'feel' that he was being deceived. And Yuusuke trusted his instincts. They were playing fair.

But that left only one explanation. It was all good when bots were programmed to play the game, and they could be programmed to play it well. But programmed to guess the cards in their opponent's hand? Based on what? Expressions? Yuusuke liked to think he had a mediocre poker face - he had certainly flinched when he had drawn that card, but he had kept most of his reaction inwards. Had Doveren read that subtle change, applied it to the data of Yuusuke's deck, made a conclusion about the card he had drawn, and eliminated it with Designator? It couldn't have been a lucky guess. The price to pay for a failure with Designator was quite steep. The fact that Doveren had not even played any of his other cards meant that he wasn't even considering the possibility of failure. What monstrously advanced technology could create artificial intelligence that could process all that data with such absurd accuracy?

Or maybe it wasn't artificial intelligence at all. Designator from the Different Dimension wasn't a card most people would haphazardly put in their decks. It was a 'message' to him, it seemed. Either they were playing him for a fool -

- or there was more to these Cataphracts than Jacqueline had implied.

[spoiler=Designator from the Different Dimension][b]Designator from the Different Dimension[/b]
SPELL / Normal
Declare 1 card name. Look at your opponent's hand, and if he/she has the declared card in his/her hand, remove that 1 card from play. If he/she doesn't have the declared card in his/her hand, remove 1 random card in your hand from play.[/spoiler]

But, he could not afford to be distracted by that. Doveren was already continuing his turn. A warrior clad in a black-and-purple cloak, holding a long katana in one hand, appeared next to his comrade. That was Irou, a Dark Six Samurai monster that could eliminate defensive monsters instantly. But it was not over. An older, more austere oriental fighter appeared next to the two samurai. Not only was he more heavily armored, but his plate bore strange glowing marks. The sword he held was lean and thin, glittering with an unearthly light.

"Now he's serious..." Jacqueline commented.

[spoiler=Six Samurai - Irou][b]Six Samurai - Irou[/b]
DARK / Warrior
Level 4
1700/1200
While you control another "Six Samurai" monster with a different name, if this card attacks a face-down Defense Position monster, destroy the monster immediately with this card's effect without flipping it face-up or applying damage calculation. If this card would be destroyed, you can destroy another "Six Samurai" monster you control instead.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Grandmaster of the Six Samurai][b]Grandmaster of the Six Samurai[/b]
EARTH / Warrior
Level 5
2200/800
You can only control 1 "Grandmaster of the Six Samurai" monster. While you control a face-up "Six Samurai" monster, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. When this card is destroyed by your opponent's card effect, add 1 "Six Samurai" monster from your Graveyard to your hand.[/spoiler]

Without a single voiced command, Kamon tossed the explosives he held at Luminous. Knowing there was nothing he could do to prevent her destruction, Yuusuke braced himself for the impact. Prepared as he was for it, he was still stunned by the aftershock. It literally felt like he was showered with explosive flames.

[center][i][b]Doveren[/b] - LP: 4000[/i]
[i][b]Galahad[/b] - LP: 3500[/i][/center]

And, the Battle Phase was not over. Grandmaster of the Six Samurai lunged at Garos. This time, though - it would not be allowed.

"The effect of Necro Gardna in my Graveyard activates!" Yuusuke exclaimed. "This card is removed from play, and your attack is negated!" A spectral vision of the removed monster appeared in front of the Lightlord warrior, preventing the Grandmaster's runeblade from reaching him.

Once more, the indicator that the turn had finished flashed, without his opponent playing any reversed cards. Was he testing the waters? Or did he have too many monsters? Granted, with the Six Samurai, which were easy to bring out en masse, maybe having a lot of monsters was a good thing, but...

"My turn." Yuusuke drew another card. He might have lost Judgment Dragon, but he still held five cards, more than enough to push for a reversal. "Come, Lightlord Monk Eileen!" A female of simlar physique and complexion to Luminous, but much more combat-oriented outfit and disposition, virtually leapt to the field next to Garos. "Battle! Eileen attacks Kamon! Garos, strike down Irou!" Quickly, the two monsters unleashed their attacks, bringing both the Six Samurai down effortlessly.

[spoiler=Lightlord Monk Eileen][b]Lightlord Monk Eileen][/b]
LIGHT / Warrior
Level 4
1600/1000
If this card attacks a Defense Position monster, return that monster to its owner's Deck before damage calculation. During each of your End Phases, send the top 3 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard.[/spoiler]

[center][i][b]Doveren[/b] - LP: 3750[/i]
[i][b]Galahad[/b] - LP: 3500[/i][/center]

"During the End Phase, Eileen sends three cards from the top of the deck to the Graveyard." Yuusuke picked out another three cards, tossing them away. "And the effect of Garos also activates, sending two more cards. One of them is Lightlord Beast Wolf, which is Special Summoned. But also, since a Lightlord monster was discarded, I am allowed to draw once." He added a new card to his hand, as the warwolf of the Lightlord clan appeared next to his other monsters, howling fiercely at the impassive warmaster.

[spoiler=Lightlord Beast Wolf][b]Lightlord Beast Wolf[/b]
LIGHT / Beast
Level 4
2100/300
This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. When this card is sent from your Deck to the Graveyard, Special Summon it.[/spoiler]

Yuusuke could do nothing to speak of, for now, except wait for the duel to reach its climax. They were testing each other now, trying to set the field for their decisive moves. But Yuusuke was also trying to figure out a way to get out of this damned wager. The loser's mind would be destroyed? That was insane. He had to find a way out.

Doveren's turn began. Quickly, a troublesome permanent magic card appeared on the field. Unity of the Six Samurai - one of the most dreaded cards an opponent might face.

[spoiler=Unity of the Six Samurai][b]Unity of the Six Samurai[/b]
SPELL / Continuous
When a "Six Samurai" monster is Normal Summoned or Special Summoned, place 1 Bushido Counter on this card (max. 2). By sending this card to the Graveyard, draw a number of cards from your Deck equal to the number of Bushido Counters on this card.[/spoiler]

Another samurai appeared, this one clad in bright orange armor whose helmet seemed to have two pronged horn-like appendages extending from its back. In his hand was a golden scythe-edged spear. This was Zanji, the Light counterpart to Irou.

[spoiler=Six Samurai - Zanji][b]Six Samurai - Zanji[/b]
LIGHT / Warrior
Level 4
1800/1300
While you control another "Six Samurai" monster with a different name, destroy any monster this card attacks at the end of the Damage Step. If this card would be destroyed, you can destroy another "Six Samurai" monster you control instead.[/spoiler]

Without warning, Zanji moved in to strike Eileen, who tried to block the warrior's lance with her leg, only to have it severed. With a scream, she was vanquished, and Yuusuke's Life Points dropped. And then, the Grandmaster of the Six Samurai struck at Garos, blowing him to particles with a single swipe of his sword.

[center][i][b]Doveren[/b] - LP: 3750[/i]
[i][b]Galahad[/b] - LP: 2950[/i][/center]

And while that would have been fine, an instant magic was activated at that moment. Cunning of the Six Samurai, which released one Six Samurai monster - Doveren targeted Zanji, of course - and Special Summoned another one from the Graveyard. To Yuusuke's surprise, Zanji was revived again with this card, but he quickly understood the purpose behind that move as Zanji charged at Wolf. The Lightlord beast retaliated, obliterating the samurai, but Zanji's searing lance found its target, scorching Wolf to ash. Even if he had to sacrifice some Life Points, Doveren was intent to leave Yuusuke with no monsters.

[center][i][b]Doveren[/b] - LP: 3450[/i]

More importantly, though, as Doveren's turn proceeded to the second Main Phase, Unity of the Six Samurai was fully charged. The card disappeared, and Doveren drew two more cards, which he set face-down on the field before motioning the end of his move.

" - now, I'm getting rather pissed off."

Yuusuke regained his balance, forcefully pulling a card off the top of his deck. His field might have been emptied - but not for long.

"Destiny Hero Diabolic Guy's effect activates from my Graveyard, Special Summoning a second Diabolic Guy from my deck!" The malignent visage of the dark hero appeared on the field as Yuusuke exchanged the cards. "And then I Normal Summon Sunny Pixie!" A small figure, clad in a revealing yellow top and sporting twin blue wings burst forth in a surge of light, grinning mischievously.

[spoiler=Destiny Hero Diabolic Guy][b]Destiny Hero Diabolic Guy[/b]
DARK / Warrior
Level 6
800/800
You can remove this card in your Graveyard from play to Special Summon 1 "Destiny Hero - Diabolic Guy" from your Deck.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Sunny Pixie][b]Sunny Pixie[/b]
LIGHT / Fairy / Tuner
Level 1
300/400
If this card is sent to the Graveyard for the Synchro Summon of a LIGHT Synchro Monster, gain 1000 Life Points.[/spoiler]

"Now I tune my Level 6, Destiny Hero Diabolic Guy, to my Level 1 Sunny Pixie!" The two monsters split into stars and circles, initiating the process of synchronization. "Synchro Summon! Descend, Ancient Holy Wyvern!!"

The dragonic serpent that appeared on the field had a body of pure shining silver, a golden mane that reached down through its entire length, and twin sharpened wings that seemed to do little to keep it afloat.

[spoiler=Ancient Holy Wyvern][b]Ancient Holy Wyvern[/b]
LIGHT / Dragon / Synchro
Level 7
2100/2000
1 LIGHT Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
While your Life Points are higher than your opponent's, this card gains ATK equal to the difference. While your Life Points are lower than your opponent's, this card loses ATK equal to the difference. When this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard, you can pay 1000 Life Points to Special Summon this card.[/spoiler]

"Ancient Holy Wyvern cannot be Summoned, lest I use a Light monster as a Tuner." True, this monster wasn't the optimal choice for his Lightlord deck, let alone the Chaos deck he had reforged. But, he liked its concept, and to that end he had included Sunny Pixie in his deck. "Now, Ancient Holy Wyvern's effect kicks in, modifying its attack power by the difference in our Life Points. Since my Life is less than yours at the moment, that would technically mean that it should lose as much attack. However, Sunny Pixie's effect will allow me to recover a thousand points, since she was used for the Synchro Summon of a Light monster." Yuusuke felt a bright warmth surround him as his Life Points jumped up to over their original value. Miraculously, his entire body felt rejuvenated by the increase. The holy dragon's power rose to 2600.

[center][i][b]Doveren[/b] - LP: 3450[/i]
[i][b]Galahad[/b] - LP: 3950[/i][/center]

"Battle!" Yuusuke commanded. "Ancient Holy Wyvern, attack Zanji!" Zanji's effect could only be activated when he himself was attacking, therefore, Ancient Holy Wyvern was safe from its retaliation. Briefly, Yuusuke wondered if Doveren would choose to preserve Zanji by sacrificing the Grandmaster, so that he could use Zanji during his following turn. But that would not have been an ideal strategy, as it would mean losing a lot of Life Points. Indeed, nothing stopped the stream of light that surrounded the samurai. Doveren barely cringed as his Life dropped. At the same time, Ancient Holy Wyvern's power rose to a formidable 3500.

[center][i][b]Doveren[/b] - LP: 2650[/i]
[i][b]Galahad[/b] - LP: 3950[/i][/center]

"I place two reverse cards. Turn end." Yuusuke said sternly. He could not afford any more holding back - he needed to get back in control of the duel.

"Ah, ah, why'd you have to do that." Jacqueline said, her voice trembling. One might have thought it was fear or anxiety, but Yuusuke detected suppressed mirth about to explode. He looked at her quizically.

"I'm afraid you just triggered 'berserk mode' for your friend." She laughed. "The Cataphracts will generally hold back... until they are pushed. Then they go all-out. You will find a far better match in our friend Doveren now than before."

"We'll see." Yuusuke said. He watched Doveren carefully. Indeed, something seemed different about him now. His eyes seemed more lifeless, his gaze more steely. With a sound that seemed like a low-pitched growl, he drew a card. Another permanent magic materialized in front of him as he placed the card he had just drawn in his disk's slot. Behind the Grandmaster of the Six Samurai, a portal-like structure glowing with a faint blue light appeared.

[spoiler=Gateway of the Six Samurai][b]Gateway of the Brave Six[/b]
SPELL / Continuous
Each time a "Six Samurai" monster is Normal or Special Summoned, place 2 Bushido Counters on this card. You can remove Bushido Counters from your side of the field to apply the following effects. • 2 Counters: Until the End Phase of this turn, 1 face-up "Six Samurai" or "Shien" Effect Monster gains 500 ATK. • 4 Counters: Add 1 "Six Samurai" monster from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand. • 6 Counters: Special Summon 1 "Shien" Effect Monster from your Graveyard.[/spoiler]

One of Doveren's reverse cards lifted. Yuusuke gave a start as Six Samurai - Zanji reappeared on the field. Two bright lights began shining around the portal that had been erected, indicating the acquisition of two counters. And then another Six Samurai appeared as Doveren played his last card, a black-clad warrior wielding a pike. Four counters now gathered around the Gateway.

[spoiler=Return of the Six Samurai][b]Return of the Six Samurai[/b]
TRAP / Normal
Special Summon 1 "Six Samurai" monster from your Graveyard. Destroy it at the end of this turn.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Six Samurai - Yariza][b]Six Samurai - Yariza[/b]
EARTH / Warrior
Level 3
1000/500
While you control another "Six Samurai" monster with a different name, this card can attack your opponent directly. If this card would be destroyed, you can destroy another "Six Samurai" monster you control instead.[/spoiler]

Yariza charged forth, leaping up above Yuusuke's serpentine creature. It was going for a direct attack via its ability. But, Yuusuke was prepared.

"Trap card, open! Holy Barrier - Mirror Force!" No matter that Six Samurai monsters could protect each other, if he destroyed them all at once... but his eyes bulged as Doveren's second reversed card lifted up. Magatama of Musakani - a dangerous trap that could negate any destruction effect if a Six Samurai was on the controller's field. And now there were three, so the powerful Mirror Force dissipated harmlessly, and Yariza stabbed the sharp end of its spear into Yuusuke's stomach.

[spoiler=Holy Barrier - Mirror Force][b]Holy Barrier - Mirror Force[/b]
TRAP / Normal
Activate only when an opponent's monster declares an attack. Destroy all Attack Position monsters your opponent controls.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Magatama of Musakani][b]Magatama of Musakani[/b]
TRAP / Counter
Activate only if you control a face-up "Six Samurai" monster. Negate the activation of an opponent's Spell Card, Trap Card or Effect Monster's effect that would destroy a card(s), and destroy it.[/spoiler]

[center][i][b]Doveren[/b] - LP: 2550[/i]

Pain was a cheap word to describe it. Yuusuke 'understood' the strike - his mind registered being stabbed by a searing-hot lance. Culling agony - Yuusuke's mind was filled with the dread of death. He fell on his knees, clutching his stomach. He screamed out, sweat rolling down his entire body. There was no wound or blood, but the pain was there. In the midst of that ferocious torment, he kept telling himself that it was all an illusion, that whatever the sensations triggered, he was still in a virtual reality. It was all in his mind.

"It looks like he's done already."

More than anything else, the cruel, grating voice of Jacqueline Deveraux kicked his senses into gear. Grinding his teeth, he pushed himself up on unsteady feet. If he gave in, he'd be playing right into her hands. He wouldn't submit to her, nor the pain. He shrugged it off, steeling his nerves. It was not easy - but he pushed it to the back of his mind. Once he replaced his terror with anger, it was easier to breathe, easier to control himself. But Doveren's turn wasn't over yet. Zanji slashed at Ancient Holy Wyvern. Yuusuke vaguely registered that his monster's attack had collapsed to a mere 2400, a result of his Life Points being reduced by Yariza's direct attack. Still, the beast found it easy to repel the samurai with a stream of white light. However, Zanji's effect also kicked in at the end of the damage step, and the glowing golden halberd was flung from the hand of the warrior before it shattered, annihilating the Wyvern.

[center][i][b]Doveren[/b] - LP: 1950[/i]

And at that moment, he was open. Grandmaster began to move.

"As if I'd let you! Trap card, open! Illusion of Flashing Light! Cherubim is revived from the Graveyard!" 100 points short of matching the Lightlord angel, the warrior stopped short, and Doveren silently declared the end of his turn.

[spoiler=Illusion of Flashing Light][b]Illusion of Flashing Light[/b]
TRAP / Continuous
Select 1 "Lightlord" monster from your Graveyard and Special Summon it in Attack Position. During each of your End Phases, send the top 2 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard. When this card is removed from the field, destroy that monster. When that monster is removed from the field, destroy this card.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Lightlord Angel Cherubim][b]Lightlord Angel Cherubim[/b]
LIGHT / Fairy
Level 5
2300/200
When you Tribute Summon this card by Tributing a "Lightsworn" monster, you can send the top 4 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard to destroy up to 2 cards your opponent controls.[/spoiler]

"Draw." Yuusuke added a new card to his hand. What was in his hand was Lightning Tune, which he had no way of using, Carrier Zombie, and Solar Exchange which he had just drawn. No way to swarm the field. Thanks to the Six Samurai monster effects, he would be unable to get rid of the Grandmaster.

However, his victory had been established. His reverse card was Convening of Light, which he could use to get rid of the cards in his hand in order to retrieve Light monsters from his Graveyard equal to the amount of discarded cards. Though Judgment Dragon no longer lay in his Graveyard, he could recover Luminous and two more cards, and then use Luminous to bring back Wolf, then use the last card in his hand to recover Carrier Zombie and proceed to Synchro Summon.

However, he had not yet made his resolve to win. He could not just eliminate Shugo like that. Throughout this entire duel, he had had no real hint that there was any form of human consciousness residing in the Cataphract. No hint, but... he stared intently into Doveren's eyes. They glared back, listlessly. That 'thing' that could express no emotion with its eyes probably seemed even lss human than the Ghosts.

Yuusuke did not know what he was waiting for, or even if he was waiting for something. He just knew he had to hold back a little longer. He could not claim victory this turn.

"Battle. Cherubim attacks Yariza." A bright flash of light extinguished Doveren's monster, and Yuusuke thought his opponent cringed as his Life Points dropped drastically. This at the very least ensured that Doveren would not haphazardly use Zanji's effect with so few Life Points left.

[center][i][b]Doveren[/b] - LP: 650[/i]

"I place one reverse monster. During the End Phase, Illusion of Flashing Light sends the top two cards of my deck to the Graveyard." He picked up the uppermost two, and gritted his teeth. He had just lost Reinforcements of Light and Spiritual Operation! Not winning was fine, but at this rate...

Doveren drew. The four counters on Gateway of the Six slowly faded, as a card picked itself out of Doveren's deck and was added to his hand. Yuusuke made to identify it via the virtual panel, but it was quickly played on the field.

This was a card he had never seen before.

The virtual image of the summoned monster was a short, stocky warrior with peculiar black-and-orange armor and sporting two, clearly mechanical, arms above his regular ones, each one of those four arms brandishing a sword. Yuusuke had dueled plenty of times against Six Samurai decks. He had seen all six of the 'Six Samurai' monsters, and all of the supporting ones. And he had never seen this one. He turned his attention to the information display.

[spoiler=True Six Samurai - Kageki][b]True Six Samurai - Kageki[/b]
WIND / Warrior
Level 3
200/2000
When this card is Normal Summoned, you can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower "Six Samurai" monster from your hand. While you control another face-up "Six Samurai" monster with a different name, this card gains 1500 ATK.[/spoiler]

And before he could react to its appearance, its effect came into play, Special Summoning the last card from Doveren's hand. This one, Yuusuke knew - it looked like an empty suit of spectral armor, blue-and-purple, floating eerily a few inches above the ground. Quickly, that armor bound itself around the Grandmaster, fortifying him as his attack and defense scores rose by 500. At the same time, Kageki's attack points regulated themselves to 1700. And of course, the counters on the Gateway were restored to four.

[spoiler=Relic of the Six Samurai][b]Relic of the Six Samurai[/b]
EARTH / Warrior / Union
Level 3
500/500
Once per turn, you can equip this card to a face-up "Six Samurai" monster you control, OR unequip it and Special Summon it in face-up Attack Position. When equipped to a monster by this card's effect, that equipped monster gains 500 ATK and DEF. When the equipped monster destroys an opponent's monster by battle, draw 1 card. (A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union monster at a time. If the equipped monster would be destroyed, destroy this card instead.)[/spoiler]

The assault began. The Grandmaster slashed down Cherubim instantly, taking out a small chunk of Yuusuke's Life Points along with one of his strongest monster. Doveren added a card to his hand. Then, Kageki struck at his reverse card, wiping out Carrier Zombie.

[i][b]Galahad[/b] - LP: 2550[/i][/center]

And now Yuusuke was open, with nothing to stop Zanji. He could only barely follow the samurai's movements as he swung his halberd at him.

His severed head fell to the ground.

Yuusuke gurgled and collapsed, literally feeling the slash where his neck had been - his neck [i]was[/i], he firmly reminded himself, trying to gather coherent thoughts in that unbearable agony. The scent of blood permeated the air, the metallic feel of it already fountained in his mouth. It was... this was [i]death[/i]. Yuusuke felt like he was losing his grip on consciousness, falling into a deep black void. In the background, someone was laughing - but he just couldn't bring himself to care any more. It was over.

[i][b]Galahad[/b] - LP: 750[/i][/center]

"Oh. It looks like they need some improvement still." Someone's voice. It was too far away, far removed from this dream. "He could have used Gateway's effect to bring out Kizan last turn and win... it seems there is some flaw in their programming. Or, has the data of the new cards not been coded correctly... I'm going to have to have this looked into..."

"What... are you talking about, you damn b****..." Each word whizzed out of his mouth as if being dragged through by a chain of thorns. The laughter stopped. He thought he was able to see, though everything appeared as no more than blurry shapes. Doveren was still there, like a statue, waiting for him. "...do you think... either of us wants to win this?"

"I'll have to praise you for being able to stand after a blow like that." Jacqueline said. "But there's nothing more you can do. Even assuming you can continue dueling, you'll never overcome these odds."

Yuusuke ignored her, trying his best to stand on wobbly feet. His resolve - no matter what, Shugo was still there. And the 'message' he had sent to him -

"Draw!" He said. He did not even look at the card. "Burial from the Different Dimension! Three cards that have been removed from play return to the Graveyard! The cards I choose - Necro Gardna! Destiny Hero Diabolic Guy! And of course..." He held up Judgment Dragon.

"And what are you going to do with him?" Jacqueline snarled, but then Convening of Light was turned right-side up. She paled slightly. Wordlessly, Yuusuke discarded Lightning Tune and Solar Recharge, retrieving Judgment Dragon and Garos in their stead.

[spoiler=Burial from the Different Dimension][b]Burial from the Different Dimension[/b]
SPELL / Quick-Play
Select up to 3 Monster Cards that are removed from play, and return them to their owners' Graveyard.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Convening of Light][b]Convening of Light[/b]
TRAP / Normal
Discard all the cards in your hand, then select a number of LIGHT monsters from your Graveyard equal to the number of cards you discarded, and add them to your hand.[/spoiler]

"You thought to destroy me by using my friend as a hostage. I will have to disillusion you. This madness will end - whatever it takes. When four or more Lightlord monsters are in my Graveyard, Judgment Dragon can be Special Summoned!" Lightning cracked the dark crimson sky overhead. Thunder rolled, and a massive pillar of pure golden light exploded from the field. A ferocious roar shook the very ground they were standing on, and the great black form of a massive creature, a beast like a dragon, but pure black, a biblical monster of divine judgment, towered between the two duelists.

[spoiler=Judgment Dragon][b]Judgment Dragon[/b]
LIGHT / Dragon
Level 8
3000/2600
This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card cannot be Special Summoned except by having 4 or more "Lightlord" monsters with different names in your Graveyard. You can pay 1000 Life Points to destroy all other cards on the field. During each of your End Phases, send the top 4 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard.[/spoiler]

"Well done, boy." Jacqueline clapped her hands excitedly. "You truly go beyond my expectations. But, this is no good. If you attack, you'll kill your friend. There will be no going back."

Yes, that fact had not changed. If what Jacqueline had said could be trusted, it would be the end for Yuusuke's friend. But there was no other path to take. Yuusuke had 'understood' Shugo's message - he had chosen death over being manipulated, over being used as a puppet to harm others.

"Battle." Yuusuke said slowly. There was one reverse card on Shugo's side, the one that had been drawn via Relic's effect last turn. But he would not stop. "Judgment Dragon, attack True Six Samurai - Kageki." The behemoth opened its jaws, an all-encompassing sphere of light forming within. In that instance, when the sky was illuminated by that holy luster, seconds before he vanished into oblivion - Yuusuke noticed the small smile of gratitude that formed on Doveren's lips.

[center][i][b]Doveren[/b] - LP: 0[/i]
[i][b]Galahad[/b] - LP: 750[/i][/center]

It was over.
[/spoiler]

I've recently been listening to some Dragonball music to make up for the fact that I never watched it, and I was about to start reading this chapter listening to the Ginyu Force theme. Then I decided it might not be appropriate and switched to Freeza's theme.

I was right.

So, the deck used contains mostly the ordinary Six Samurai and the True Six only as backup/added to the deck to make it stronger?

EDIT: In that particular duel I was writing, it was in the best interest of the player controlling Unequal Treaty to drain their opponent's Life Points very slowly. It was also a Battle Royale.

Archived