• Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='Bahamut ZERO' timestamp='1296843330' post='4987143']
Unbelivably epic.

Really emotionally envoking.

Will he, won't he?

Rep.
[/quote]

Thanks, I'm glad you are enjoying this (although, the words you were looking for were "unbelievably" and "invoking". Just so I can be a jerk).

[quote name='Dr. Cakey' timestamp='1296859081' post='4987750']
I've recently been listening to some Dragonball music to make up for the fact that I never watched it, and I was about to start reading this chapter listening to the Ginyu Force theme. Then I decided it might not be appropriate and switched to Freeza's theme.

I was right.

So, the deck used contains mostly the ordinary Six Samurai and the True Six only as backup/added to the deck to make it stronger?

EDIT: In that particular duel I was writing, it was in the best interest of the player controlling Unequal Treaty to drain their opponent's Life Points very slowly. It was also a Battle Royale.
[/quote]

Yeah, it was mostly the basic deck, pimped up a little with some new cards. But it ran on the same principles as the original, just with some interesting support. And hmm, the part about slowly draining life is interesting. Gives me an idea...

[quote name='legolover09' timestamp='1296874305' post='4988365']
I just wanted to congratulate you on a great fan fic. It is a great piece of work. It has convinced me to log in again to tell you so. I read all 16 chapters in one night. And then the 17th today.
[/quote]

Wow. I'm not counting words but each chapter should be at least around 3000-3500, barring card descriptions. Some are larger. That's a lot of reading for one sitting. Thanks for your kind words, I appreciate it. I'll keep it up.

Speaking of keeping things up, here is chapter 18! Not as long, and no duel this time around. But, it will be good. I hope.

[spoiler=Chapter 18]
[center][b][u]Chapter 18:[/b] Contact[/u][/center]

Silence reigned. There was noone around, except Yuusuke and the 'enemy'. Doveren's body had vanished after his Life Points had hit zero, and the other Cataphracts had retreated to the far edges of the plateau, out of sight.

"I did not expect this much out of you, Aizawa Yuusuke." Jacqueline shook her head. "To find the resolve to kill - we have underestimated you. You truly are a dangerous person."

"Shut up." Yuusuke growled, straightening himself. He was panting heavily - the damage done to him during the duel was weighing heavily on him - he could barely even stand. But more than that, he was also full of anger. They had gone too far this time. "I'll take you all down. And I'll start with you." He pointed a shaky finger at her. Jacqueline merely laughed.

"You beat one of my Cataphracts, and you think you are on the same level as me? Don't be too full of yourself, boy." An abrupt wind picked up, a gale so forceful that Yuusuke had to drop to his knees to hold on. Stones and pebbles were carried by that whirlwind, and even the massive pool of lava stirred and shook. In the midst of all this, Jacqueline, her clothing not even slightly wavering, cast a condescending glance at him.

"Since you've come this far, I'll tell you a little story. Twelve years ago, we created this very space you stand in. But it all really began almost twenty five years ago. December 12th, 2012 to be exact."

"December 12th?" Yuusuke, already caught up in curiosity, forgot about his anger. He gasped. "Wasn't that when - ?!"

"Yes. The world was supposed to be destroyed at that day." Jacqueline laughed. "What nonsense, you might be thinking now. I was but a little girl back then. But I felt it. Even though noone had told me anything about it - my parents were never prone to believing in such things - as I was playing in the park, I [i]felt[/i] it. Like someone was screaming, asking, begging for help. I smelled fire when there was none. I heard thunder, but the sky was clear and peaceful. I heard panicked voices, people seeking refuge. Dying. It was indeed as if the world was being destroyed - but it was all in my head. My parents, of course, dismissed me as delusional. They presumed I had heard somewhere about that whole prophecy, and that my mind was making up stuff because of it. It took several psychology support sessions to bring me back to my senses - that was how terrified I was back then."

"You are not making any sense." Yuusuke scowled. "Are you saying some disaster actually happened during that day?" December 12th had been long before Yuusuke was born, and he'd only heard it briefly mentioned from his parents, who had not yet met at the time. His father and his friends had apparently bought the whole thing and got overly drunk that day, waking up the next afternoon with a huge headache and feeling quite embarassed and stupid. His mother, of course, had completely ignored it. The point was, nothing actually happened, and the whole thing was forgotten quickly.

"Something did happen." Jacqueline continued. "I was too young to come anywhere near understanding, of course. But, years later, as I was attending art school, I found others who had experienced the same. They had already forged a team, researching into the incident. Their discoveries were amazing. I immediately joined that secret group, hoping to finally understand what I had lived through during that day. I won't bore you with the details. The bottom line is, we worked hard for many years, and finally reached some conclusive theories."

"And those were?" Yuusuke was intrigued, despite himself. If this had anything to do with what was going on right now - then he had guessed correctly. There was way more in this story than was immediately apparent. But Jacqueline shook her finger, giggling.

"It's a little early to get into the good part yet, I'm afraid. It wouldn't be fun if you found out everything right now. I'm going to give you a name, though. Miyataka Eizan. He holds the key to a large piece of the puzzle. Find this person, and you may yet begin discovering some answers to your questions.

"What do you - " Yuusuke began, but Jacqueline raised a preemptive finger.

"You're a smart boy, you'll figure it out. Now, I keep my promises. It's time for you to leave... before something untoward happens."

"Wait - " But she did not, and Yuusuke felt like he was being dragged through a narrow corridor, every inch of his being suppressed to fit into too small a space. Before he could scream, it was over, and he woke up in a hospital bed, with his mother and several other doctors and nurses hovering anxiously above him.

Then he noticed something. Next to his bed - another one was there.

Shugo.

Yuusuke burst into tears.

---

Riding 'Avalon', Maya circled the Hellfire Circuit, but there was no trace of Yuusuke in the exterior ring. She verified his location - he was still in this area. Then, there was only one place he could be, one area she hadn't checked. The mountain in the middle of the arena - somehow, he had gotten all the way up there. He would need a D-Wheel for that. This was getting more troublesome by the moment, but Maya could not afford to wait. She covered the steep slope at breakneck speed, reaching the top in a matter of minutes, but, as she stood atop the ridge, she could still see no trace of Yuusuke.

Suddenly, she saw it. This was not a mountain. It was a volcano, hollow in its midst! A rocky plateau stretched out several feet below the peak, and in the center, a pool of boiling magma raged. But just as she began to move downhill, the display on her D-Wheel indicated that Yuusuke had - abruptly, inexplicably - left not only the area, but disconnected entirely from the system. Cursing, she decided to at least see for herself what was going on down there.

During her career as a champion duelist in Europe, Maya had had the chance to meet, at one time or the other, most of Duel International's top brass. She had managed to dislike all of them. Cornelius Klein had stood at the top of the list. With him out of the way, Jacqueline Devereaux, the woman who now stood before her, was very close to achieving the first place.

"I wasn't expecting to find a snake so close to the fire." She said derisively, glaring at the woman. It did not entirely surprise her that she'd find a person like Jacqueline in here. But it did convince her that things had become quite serious. "What have you done with Yuusuke?"

"I've done nothing, miss Stiyel Crystal." Jacqueline replied with a voice so innocent that Maya felt like strangling her. "He accepted and bested my challenge, so I rewarded him by allowing him to leave this world. Too bad you weren't here a few minutes earlier - you might still have caught him." Maya very much doubted that - Jacqueline must have sent Yuusuke away as soon as she realized she was approaching. "But then again, he wouldn't recognize you in that form, would he? He only knows you here as 'Sinclair'. Why go to such lengths to help that boy? It hasn't been that long since you left Europe, yet you seem to be devoted to him in a way I don't see often, even in lovers, childhood friends, or siblings."

"That is none of your business." Maya retorted firmly.

"Then, let me ask a different question." Jacqueline sat on her D-Wheel, twisting her fingers underneath her chin as she looked at Maya. Faster than Maya could reject her, she continued. "You want answers, right? Then we'll make a deal. For every question of mine you answer truthfully, I'll answer one of yours. I'll even give you the one about your young man's whereabouts for free. What do you say?"

"Alright. Ask ahead." Maya allowed. She would not fall into the woman's verbal traps. But, as long as she could control the flow of the conversation, something interesting might come out of it.

"Are you the one who did Klein in?" Jacqueline asked bluntly. "Were you involved in his murder?"

"That's two questions." Maya said coldly. "No, I was not the one to kill Cornelius Klein." Not in the real world, at least. "Now it's my turn." Jacqueline pursed her lips, but nodded.

"What do you do to the people who fall into a coma here?"

Jacqueline paused, as if considering whether to reply or not. Then, she sighed. "I could say that we are not doing anything in particular... after all, our goal isn't to do something with them, per se. Rather, as soon as they are beaten, their purpose has been accomplished. But I will not violate the rules of my own game. We use their virtual avatars to host advanced artificial intelligence programs, that are capable of mimicking human behavior to an amazing extent. These are the Cataphracts." She gestured, and several men and women, in various attires, came into view behind Maya just as she whipped her head around.

"Impressive, aren't they?" Jacqueline said proudly. Maya made a grimace of disgust. "Too bad they are yet incomplete, otherwise it might be interesting to see how the former European champion would fare against them. Did I answer your question to a satisfactory extent?"

"Fine, I'll tell you about Klein." Maya snapped. "I met him in the Vision Cathedral, several hours after he was supposedly killed in his apartment. I did not know of his death, then. He challenged me to a duel, and when I defeated him, he disappeared from the virtual space." Had she defeated him? She had only managed a stalemate during the duel, and then... well, there was no use telling Jacqueline the details. She did not find it in herself to describe the horror of the bloody, grinning head impaled on top of a spike. But it did not seem to matter, because Jacqueline was speechless, looking at Maya with calculating eyes.

"You defeated Cornelius Klein?" She asked carefully.

"Should I count that as a question?" Maya crossed her arms in front of her chest defiantly.

"I see." Jacqueline nodded. "This explains a lot. I have no more questions for you - but you still have one left. If you'd like to ask something, do it now. Things have changed, so I will have to leave shortly."

"Fine, then." Maya considered for a moment. There were a ton of things she wanted to ask. But she didn't know if Jacqueline would be truthful, whatever she claimed. "Tell me this. What happened to Sanjou Kiishiro? He was the first one to fall into a coma, after all." And the reason Yuusuke and Maya had ended up in this mess.

Jacqueline's reaction was surprising. She looked... angry, and bitter at the same time. "We don't know." She snapped. "What happened to him is none of our doing, and has complicated a lot of things that should have otherwise been simple. Now, if you'll excuse me..." There was no motion that Maya could discern, no event that transpired. She blinked, and Jacqueline was simply not there any more.

[i]Just what the hell is going on here?[/i] She had no time to ponder that question. From the ridge overhead, another form descended, a duelist mounted on a D-Wheel. Even though Maya had never seen this D-Wheel before, a strange bright red monstrosity with flamboyant gold designs in the front and the sides, and even if the driver was all but concealed in a full-body riding outfit of similar color variety, she recognized with a sinking feeling the name that appeared in the display of her D-Wheel.

A few months after she had been crowned the European champion, several years ago, she had been invited to a feature test by Duel International. It involved a duel with the American reigning champion. It was an unofficial event, of course, and did not affect their standings.

But, Maya had lost.

And the person who had defeated her, Adam Fergusson, avatar name Firesoul, was the one currently removing his outrageous helmet, flashing a smile at her while scrutinizing her with eyes of tinted orange color. His hair, flaring red and spiky, were equally ridiculous as the rest of him. Asking what he was doing here was pointless - since she had lost the alias of Sinclair, it was easy for someone with the appropriate means to track her down, if he was notified of her presence. And the last thing Maya wanted to deal with was a pushy and annoying person like him.

"Hello there, miss European champion!" Fergusson exclaimed, managing to laugh at his own stupidity. "It's been years! I almost thought you'd dropped out of the game after I beat you. Maybe I should have taken it a little easier then, eh?"

"What do you want, Fergusson? I can't be bothered to deal with you right now." Maya asked sharply. Fergusson laughed.

"Same as always, I see. Hell could freeze on that tone of yours. Relax, jokes aside, I only came here to see what you were up to. We lost you after you became the champion. I heard you moved to Japan? You were sorely missed."

"You don't say." Maya said mockingly. "In case you haven't noticed, this is a bad place to be right now. I don't know what the situation is down there in America, but people are dropping into comas left and right here due to this game. Your precious sponsors from Duel International are criminals."

"I know." Fergusson's tone was suddenly so solemn, that Maya was forced to pay attention. "That's one of the reasons I came here today, actually. I... there was a good friend of mine, Mike Nicholson. Don't suppose you heard the name, he's not that famous here either, as his case is pretty covered up. He was a good kid. I got him a spot as a beta tester for the Riding Duel system. It was smooth sailing for him, and the company was satisfied with his results. But during the final day of the testing he... died."

"He died." Maya repeated, the words difficult to pronounce. Her mind felt numb. She had considered the possibility, of course. It would not stop to people falling unconscious. Someday, someone would die. Like Cornelius had.

But it had already happened.

"They said it was an accident as he was getting back home from the testing." Fergusson continued, his voice low now, as if he was afraid of being heard. A reasonable fear, of course. Though Maya doubted any of the Cataphracts were paying any attention to them, she was willing to bet that half of Duel International was on their toes, monitoring this conversation. In fact, for Fergusson to be speaking so openly, he must have placed some jamming device on the area, at least as far as sound transmissions were concerned. The people classed as champion level had, in the process of ascending to the top of this virtual reality, acquired extremely unlikely privileges and abilities, sometimes even without the knowledge of the company's representatives. "But I don't believe it. The story is too dirty to be true. And... you've met these 'Ghosts', right?"

"Yes." Maya admitted carefully.

"They claim they're the results of a bot series under development that fell apart. They say they've left them rampant as a challenge to the players. But, how should I say this... I've battled a few of them thus far and... every time I took a serious hit, I've felt that my life was in danger. There's something unnatural going on, and from what I saw here, you know about this as well as I, or better. The question is, what do we do?"

Maya considered her options. How much could she trust this guy? Fergusson had always been Dunkan's lapdog, and she knew that Dunkan was a dangerous man - she had known that long before the incident one week ago. Was he honest, or was this just another elaborate trap by one of those accursed people? But more important than that - she [i]needed[/i] allies. Allies with the skill and knowledge and ability to back them up in this treacherous space. Fergusson certainly fit the criteria. She just had to overcome her personal dislike. If it was for the sake of figuring a way out of this mess...

"Alright." She said reluctantly. "I'll tell you what I know so far. We may want to go somewhere else, though. This place is hardly suitable for a long conversation."

"I know just the place." Fergusson grinned, and a portal opened up right in front of them. Maya raised an eyebrow. "Don't take this the wrong way." He amended quickly as he noticed Maya's glare. The portal led to Fergusson's duelist home, his personal space inside this virtual world. Technically, it was reserved for the user only, but later additions offered a chance to construct a guest room, along with other amenities. Maya had never bothered. "But I've rigged the place. Even Dunkan couldn't hear what we say in there."

"Fine, it will do." Maya turned towards the portal, not wanting to elaborate on that conversation any further. "Let's go."

---

"W - whoa..." Yenma muttered, his eyes wide open. "If - if this is true..."

"It is." Kiishiro said. "As far as I've seen, it is. Those crazy bastards out there are trying to do [i]something[/i] with this world. And getting duelists out of commision seems to be one of that plan's branches. I've fought with Ghosts before. Those two today - they were different." He turned to ZONE who, after delivering the necessary explanations to Yenma, had mostly remained silent, observing the interaction between the two. "What were they?"

"They were duelists like you two." ZONE said in the same monotonous, slightly tinted with an echo, voice. "But they were no longer attached to their human personas. Having lost their 'conscience', their wills were controlled by artificial intelligence, more advanced than that used for the Ghosts, to mimic their former owners' behavioral patterns. Of course, it seems that all but the most necessary of dueling functions had been shut off, so they were only meant to operate as dueling machines."

"Wha - you think they were the accounts of the people who were beaten by the Ghosts?" Yenma asked, still greedily absorbing the information.

"Perhaps." ZONE said. "Perhaps the situation is entirely different. I can only tell you what I have collected. There is still much to be known."

"Exactly." Kiishiro retorted. It was time to come to the main subject of discussion. "Such as, what are these dragons of ours? You've only given me tidbits before, but what I saw today amounts to much more than what you've let on so far. Why are they so important?"

ZONE did not reply, instead locking his eyes, almost completely invisible behind that vizor, into Kiishiro's own. Kiishiro held that gaze, steadily. After what Ivory had said, after all that had happened - he needed to be able to conclusively and fully trust his mentor. From here on, his decisions would affect Yenma as well. He could not afford to be careless.

Finally, ZONE sighed. "They are echoes." He said. "Echoes from a different reality. I've already explained how the multi-dimensional structure works. What the creators of this virtual world hope to achieve - no, what they have already achieved - is to forge a connecting line between worlds, allowing such phantasms to cross. They need their power to forge a system strong enough to control the Nexus."

They had only had the time to briefly explain the details to Yenma, but he didn't interrupt ZONE's explanation with questions. Kiishiro felt more and more surprised, as ZONE explained to them about the Transcendents, beings that could cross realities, and how Duel Monsters in this world were crafted out of manifestations of energy from different realities.

"Most are minute and harmless." ZONE said. "But some, like those two Dragons you hold, wield immense amounts of energy. It is those cards that are reflections of beings revered as Gods, or feared as demons, that have the largest potential. It is those that our enemies seek to manipulate. I do not know how many of those exist, and how many are in their hands, but, needless to say, each one of them is extremely powerful, and must be controlled. Those dragons I gave you are like that. There used to be five - but I only had two, and I gave them to you. No matter what, you must keep them safe."

But there were more. That, which Kiishiro had seen on top of that altar ZONE led him to - for some reason, he thought ZONE either did not know, or did not want to talk about it.

"There is one last thing." ZONE called for their attention again. "Those cards... they must not be used against each other, if it can be avoided. The Transcendents are beacons of chaos - if they collide, the consequences may be even worse than what we are trying to avoid."

"So... what happens to me now? I mean... what am I supposed to do?" Yenma asked tentatively.

"That's up to you." Kiishiro said absently, still processing the information ZONE had provided. "You can log out from here, I presume. You can get out and continue with your regular life, if that's what you want. I'll take your Blackfeather Dragon, in that case. Or, you can stay here. Your body will remain comatose, and in here, you can fight the Ghosts and whatever else DUel International, who is behind all this, throws at us, until we stop their crazy plans. It's your choice to make."

"Can't something be done?" Yenma asked desperately. "About Duel International, I mean... if the company is responsible for so many crimes, can't we confront them in the... the real world?"

"They have influence everywhere." Kiishiro sighed. "The process of just convincing enough people would take too long, and they'd be able to complete their schemes here unhindered. No, it is here we must fight them, if we will fight at all. Anything else will mean too little in the long run."

"I... I see." Yenma muttered, his head hanging low. "I'm - I'm sorry, Kiishiro-san. I'm not as brave as you. I can't even fight properly... I... I think it's best if I leave this up to you."

"That is alright." Kiishiro said. "If you've made your resolve to leave, I suggest you do so quickly. We never know what will happen here."

"Yeah." Yenma looked both crestfallen and relieved. "Here." He tossed Blackfeather Dragon back at Kiishiro. Since it was never properly traded in the first place, this was all the process required. It vanished as Kiishiro took it, being replaced into the archive of cards under his possession. "Then... I'll try to do my best to help you from outside. I... I hope you stay safe." Without looking at them, Yenma went through a few options. Soon, he vanished.

ZONE and Kiishiro remained silent for a few seconds, observing the spot Yenma had stood.

"...are you sure, it's alright letting him leave like that?" Kiishiro asked, though he already knew the answer.

"If his fate is to fight with us, he will return soon enough." ZONE said calmly. "Either way, he must carve his own path."

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Next chapter's title card]has horrible power.[/spoiler]

Name it!

[quote name='~ Epic Hero - Saber ~' timestamp='1296937270' post='4990528']
[spoiler=Next chapter's title card]has horrible power.[/spoiler]

Name it!
[/quote]
CHAOS SORCERER!!!! ....please?

Also, finally up-to-date with the Fic! :D Well, I still got to read Chapter 18 :P I'm liking how your tying 2012 and whatnot with the story as well.

[quote name='Anbu-of-Sand' timestamp='1296942699' post='4990756']
CHAOS SORCERER!!!! ....please?

Also, finally up-to-date with the Fic! :D Well, I still got to read Chapter 18 :P I'm liking how your tying 2012 and whatnot with the story as well.
[/quote]

I'm tempted to post Chapter 19 now, just to screw up your schedule =D

And no, it's not Chaos Sorcerer. Although that will definitely be a future chapter name.

[quote name='legolover09' timestamp='1296944734' post='4990839']
Chapter 18 was a great chapter. I just think it was weird how Jac-something-something the boss lady was telling Yuusuke some things that had happened. Why should she tell him anything?
[/quote]

One of her most obvious motives was to make a compelling case and get Yuusuke to track down Eizan for her. It hasn't become apparent yet, but that's a subject the company really needs to get done fast, and they're having trouble. She has other reasons, too, but we won't find much about them until we get a further look into her personality.

[quote name='~ Epic Hero - Saber ~' timestamp='1296944220' post='4990822']
I'm tempted to post Chapter 19 now, just to screw up your schedule =D
[b]To bad, I'm already done reading Chapter 18. Quite the chapter at that.[/b]

And no, it's not Chaos Sorcerer. Although that will definitely be a future chapter name.
[b]That is all I ask.[/b]
[/quote]

[quote name='~ Epic Hero - Saber ~' timestamp='1296937270' post='4990528']
Thanks, I'm glad you are enjoying this (although, the words you were looking for were "unbelievably" and "invoking". Just so I can be a jerk).

Next chapter's title cardhas horrible power

Name it!
[/quote]

Yeah, yeah, thank god for spell checker.

Destiny Board?

[quote name='Bahamut ZERO' timestamp='1297000947' post='4992602']
Yeah, yeah, thank god for spell checker.

Destiny Board?
[/quote]

Cakey already figured it out =/. Sometimes you have to look at the sentences... literally.

Besides, I wouldn't name a chapter "Destiny Board". That name is a TCG name for the card "Ouja Board", which, while a cool name, doesn't exactly fit a chapter name (not the ones I have in mind, at least). And anyway, neither does "Destiny Board". And why would the slowest, most unreliable, and most terrible win condition in the game have a horrible power? =/

Ever heard of the phrase "don't count your chickens before they hatch"? Well, that applies here. Chapter Shapesnatch will have to be pushed back a bit, as I found myself in need to reorganize some content once more. For now, let's have Chapter 19, Magician's Cross.

[spoiler=Chapter 19]
[center][b][u]Chapter 19:[/b] Magician's Cross[/u][/center]

Kotomi struggled with the heavy box, until she was able to set it right next to the small television in her bedroom. She breathed laboriously, as she busied herself with the connection system of the Duel Terminal booth. It was a small model, without most of the capacity of those found, for example, in arcade stores, but this was the best she could afford. She had been informed it would suffice.

The voice that had abruptly addressed her at the store had simply told her, in short order, that she should connect to the Duel Terminal system. Before Kotomi could ask any critical questions, the voice went silent, informing her that more would be revealed once she followed those orders. So, she had purchased a small booth, capable of connecting her to the network. She did not know the registration process, but the voice had told her that, as everything had been prepared beforehand, even though she didn't have an account, she would be recognized via the fingerprint reader and the D-Tacher. Hesitantly, trying to concentrate on Kiishiro, who lay unconscious, or worse, in this world, she put the helmet on.

She felt an intense nausea as a wave of darkness overwhelmed her, blanketing her vision. Several seconds passed, and all she could hear was a rhythmic noise, like water dripping slowly from a tap. There was no sense of motion, but she had the vague idea that she was being transported somewhere. Eventually, though, the darkness faded away, and she finally found herself sitting on a comfortable couch. The room around her was small, with no light except that shed by several candles placed symetrically on the dark-colored walls. The ceiling was short, giving the chamber a quite claustrophobic feeling. There were no doors or windows, yet a pleasant odor permeated the air. It was scarcely, but quite elaborately, furnished with the velvet-shrouded couch Kotomi was sitting on, a similar one opposite to her, and a splendid black wooden table, intricate designs providing it with an exotic appearance. On top of the table stood another pair of candles, and between them, in the very center, what Kotomi recognized as a set of trading cards.

Opposite to her, situated on the second couch, was the only other occupant of the room. A girl, clad in a provocatively low-cut black dress despite her seemingly young age, one leg placed idly atop the other and hands crossed underneath her breasts, with pitch-black hair combed neatly down to her waist, and eyes the color of sparkling green emeralds, smiled at her. It was not a hostile smile, yet Kotomi felt quite unsettled.

"Welcome, miss Sanjou Kotomi." She spoke, inclining her head slightly. "This is the virtual world. More specifically, this is my own personal area of it. My name is Ebony. I am pleased you responded to my offer."

"H - hello." Kotomi replied nervously, not used to being addressed as an equal by a girl so much younger than her. Then again, did appearances really matter in this space? "May I ask - you said that we could help Kiishiro somehow..."

"We will." Ebony said emphatically. "But until we can do that, there are a lot of things we must prepare. Miss Kotomi, do you know how to play Duel Monsters?"

"No..." Kotomi muttered. She felt rather foolish, coming to a world designed to host a game, and not even knowing how to play it. "I know some basics, but..."

"It is of no importance." Ebony hurried to soothe her. "Oh! Where are my manners? Would you like some wine?" Two crystal glasses full of blood-red liquid materialized in front of them, appearing out of thin air.

"No, thank you." Kotomi said firmly. "If you would, about what we must do..."

"Very well." Ebony leaned forward, placing both hands on the table. "First of all, I will have you play a game with me. Please do not be concerned, as in this duel, you will be guided. You will learn all you need about the game. It is absolutely imperative to take the time to do this."

"If you say so..." Kotomi answered. "But, I don't have any cards..."

"For this duel, we will play using the same deck." Ebony waved her hand, and the glasses glided smoothly to the side, allowing an empty space on which carvings appeared, clearly indicating the different zones that were used during a duel. But there were only the five monster card zones, and five spell and trap card zones behind them. Both the deck and the extra deck slots, as well as slots for the graveyard, and removed from play cards, were missing. Instead, a single stack of cards, presumably the deck the two would be using, was placed equidistantly between the two sides. Two slots on either side indicated that the graveyard and removed from game zone would be shared, too.

"We will each draw our opening hands. Let us take turns adding the cards to our hands." Ebony picked up the uppermost card of the deck, and then Kotomi did the same, until they each held five cards. "Ooh, a Magician deck. Very interesting."

"What do you mean? Didn't you make this deck?" Kotomi was taken aback.

"No, no." Ebony shook her head, the pleasant smile never leaving her face. "This deck is all yours, miss Kotomi."

[i]Huh?[/i] Kotomi had no idea what was going on, but decided to play along.

"Would you like to take the first turn?" Ebony asked.

"V - very well." Kotomi nodded.

[center][i][b]Sanjou Kotomi[/b] - LP: 4000[/i]
[i][b]Ebony[/b] - LP: 4000[/i][/center]

Abruptly, the table glowed slightly, and, much to Kotomi's disbelief, small colorful sculptures of buildings and trees, all reminiscent of a remote old village deep in some kind of forest, appeared on it, circumventing the zones that would be used for the duel. A single card was floating above the table, between the two of them, slowly spinning around itself.

"What is that?" She asked, aghast.

"This is the field spell you've chosen for this duel." Ebony replied with a shrug, as if it was obvious. "Hidden Village of the Magicians. Its effect is obvious, I believe?" She pointed at the card hovering between them. "As long as this card is on the field, only a player who controls Spellcaster monsters can activate Spell cards."

[spoiler=Hidden Village of the Magicians][b]Hidden Village of the Magicians[/b]
SPELL / Field
If you control a Spellcaster-Type monster and your opponent does not, your opponent cannot activate Spell Cards. If you control no Spellcaster-Type monsters, you cannot activate Spell Cards.[/spoiler]

"Now, I think it was your turn." Ebony urged her on.

Kotomi was not really feeling confident about anything that was happening, drew another card. She looked over the cards in her hand. To her surprise, she [i]felt[/i] a certain apprehension, as if she was recognizing them. As Ebony had said, it seemed something was guiding her - though if it did, it did so more subtly than her enigmatic opponent had earlier. Regardless, she 'understood' each card, and quickly decided on what to do.

"I summon Magic Knight Defender." She said, placing a card on the designated monster slot. She jumped slightly when the monster that was depicted in the card, a warrior dressed in full blue armor, brandishing a short sword and a massive tower shield, materialized as a miniature figure above the piece of cardboard, taking his place among the other sculptures of the table. The single orb in the middle of his shield glowed with an intense light, indicating the acquisition of a Spell Counter. "A - are these things... real?"

[spoiler=Magic Knight Defender][b]Magic Knight Defender[/b]
LIGHT / Spellcaster
Level 4
1600/2000
When this card is Normal Summoned, place 1 Spell Counter on it (max. 1). Once per turn, if a face-up Spellcaster-Type monster(s) on the field would be destroyed, you can remove 1 Spell Counter from a card you control for each of those monsters instead.[/spoiler]

"No." Ebony said. "They are just an illusion. If you want to, you can try touching them and see." Kotomi swallowed hard, and shook her head. She was already feeling spooked out enough as it was."

"I'll place a card face-down." Following the intuition that seemed to have been suddenly born inside of her, she placed a hidden card right behind the magical soldier. "Turn end."

"My turn." Ebony drew a card. "Hmm, what to do..." She mused playfully. "I summon Skilled Black Magician in attack mode!" Another magic-user appeared opposite to Kotomi's own, a solemn man in uniform black robes holding a stave horizontally in front of him. What stood out were three orbs, two on his shoulderpads, and one on the tip of his staff, that were similar to the one in Defender's shield.

[spoiler=Skilled Black Magician][b]Skilled Black Magician[/b]
DARK / Spellcaster
Level 4
1900/1700
Each time a Spell Card is activated, place 1 Spell Counter on this card (max. 3). You can Tribute this card with 3 Spell Counters on it to Special Summon 1 "Dark Magician" from your hand, Deck, or Graveyard.[/spoiler]

"Now that I also have a magician out, I can do magic myself!" She chuckled, and placed a card face-down. "First I'll place this face-down, then I'll activate Hand Obliteration, which discards all the cards in our hands, and allows us to draw again, the same number of cards that we discarded.

[spoiler=Hand Obliteration][b]Hand Obliteration[/b]
SPELL / Normal
Each player discards their hand and draws the same number of cards they discarded.[/spoiler]

"Eh?" Kotomi placed all four of her cards on top of the common discard pile, and Ebony placed the three she held. Again, they took turns adding new cards. The orb on Skilled Black Magician's left shoulder lit up.

"I think I'll just place another one of these face-down." Ebony added a new reverse card. "Then, I'll attack Defender with Skilled Black Magician!" The dark spellcaster shot a bolt of black energy from the tip of his staff, striking the center of Defender's enchanted shield. The orb on it flickered and faded, and Kotomi's Life Points fell, but the magical warrior stood firm.

[center][i][b]Sanjou Kotomi[/b] - LP: 3700[/i]

What was this sensation? It wasn't pain, but Kotomi certainly felt a throbbing, an ominous unease, following the reduction of her Life counter. She shook her head - the spooky atmosphere was making her imagine things. "Draw." She said quietly.

"I release Magic Knight Defender." She announced, and the warrior was absorbed into a pillar of blue light that warped him upwards. "To advance summon Darkred Enchanter!" In Defender's place, a magician dressed in elaborate maroon armor adorned with sharp-edged shoulderpads and a strange helmet with horns pointing towards its back, and armed with a spear that indeed looked more like a halberd of a peculiar design, appeared on the field. Instantly, the two orbs in his forehead and the crevice near the tip of his rod glowed brightly.

[spoiler=Darkred Enchanter][b]Darkred Enchanter[/b]
DARK / Spellcaster
Level 6
1700/2200
When this card is Normal Summoned, place 2 Spell Counters on it. Each time a Spell Card is activated, place 1 Spell Counter on this card. It gains 300 ATK for each Spell Counter on it. Once per turn, you can remove 2 Spell Counters from this card to make your opponent discard 1 random card.[/spoiler]

"Darkred Enchanter now has 2300 points of attack, thanks to the Spell Counters that were added." Kotomi said. "And now I will attack Skilled Black Magician!" The enchanter jumped forward, indeed trying to use his staff as a halberd, but the concealed card behind his opposing spellcaster flipped upward.

"I'm afraid the Instant magic, Shrink, will cut your attack short." Ebony said.

[spoiler=Shrink][b]Shrink[/b]
SPELL / Quick-Play
Select 1 face-up monster on the field. The original ATK of that monster is halved until the end of this turn.[/spoiler]

Darkred Enchanter's original attack was 1700, which was cut down to 850, and then the cummulative effects of the two Spell Counters brought back up to 1450. Thanks to the activation of Shrink, yet another Spell Counter further increased that attack to 1750. Still, it was not enough to tackle the opposing magician, who deflected the close quarters blow easily and retaliated, annihilating Kotomi's monster.

[center][i][b]Sanjou Kotomi[/b] - LP: 3550[/i]

"I'm afraid that since another Spell card was used, my Skilled Black Magician gains another counter." True enough, the right shoulder orb on Skilled Black Magician lit up.

"I'll place another one of these face-down." Kotomi added another reverse card. "Turn end."

"Back to me, then." Ebony drew. "I think I'll go ahead and summon Magical Conductor." A beautiful blue-clad sorceress wearing a golden diadem appeared next to the dark wizard.

[spoiler=Magical Conductor][b]Magical Conductor[/b]
EARTH / Spellcaster
Level 4
1700/1400
Each time a Spell Card is activated, place 2 Spell Counters on this card. Once per turn, you can remove any number of Spell Counters from this card to Special Summon a Spellcaster-Type monster from your hand or Graveyard whose Level is equal to the number of Spell Counters you removed.[/spoiler]

"Nineteen hundred plus seventeen hundred equals thirty-six hundred." Ebony pretended to count. "That's just about enough to eliminate all of your Life Points, in theory. Let's put it to the test." She waved her hand, and Skilled Black Magician proceeded to attack Kotomi directly.

"Trap, activate!" Kotomi exclaimed. "Magician's Circle! When a magician monster attacks, it will Special Summon a Spellcaster from the deck, if its attack points do not exceed 2000. She glanced at her opponent for permission, and when it was granted, she skimmed through her cards to find the one she was looking for. "Come, Black Magician Girl!"

[spoiler=Black Magician Girl][b]Black Magician Girl[/b]
DARK / Spellcaster
Level 6
2000/1700
This card gains 300 ATK for each "Black Magician" or "Magician of Black Chaos" in either player's Graveyard.[/spoiler]

"Magician's Circle is not without adverse effects." Ebony explained. "Its effect also applies to me, allowing me to summon Magical Marionette from our deck."

[spoiler=Magical Marionette][b]Magical Marionette[/b]
DARK / Spellcaster
Level 5
2000/1000
Each time a Spell Card is activated, place 1 Spell Counter on this card. This card gains 200 ATK for each Spell Counter on it. You can remove 2 Spell Counters from this card to destroy 1 monster on the field.[/spoiler]

"However, one of the monsters sent to the Graveyard by your Hand Obliteration was Black Magician." Kotomi pointed out. "Therefore, the attack of Black Magician Girl increases above that of your monsters."

"Clever." Ebony admitted. "I'll have to stop my attack here. But I won't end my turn without placing another reverse card."

"My turn." Kotomi said, feeling a little more confident. She found herself feeling somewhat... attached to these cards that the two of them played, wondering what exactly Ebony meant by what she had said earlier. "I summon Crusader of Endymion!" Another magical knight in plated gold-and-blue armor appeared next to the female sorceress.

[spoiler=Crusader of Endymion][b]Crusader of Endymion[/b]
LIGHT / Spellcaster
Level 4
1900/1000
This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. While this card is face-up on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it be treated as an Effect Monster with this effect:
• Once per turn, you can place 1 Spell Counter on a face-up card on the field that you can place a Spell Counter on. If you do, this card gains 600 ATK until the End Phase.[/spoiler]

"I like that look on your face." Ebony said abruptly. Kotomi eyed her askance. "That's the look a duelist has when they're about to make their big move. You may not know it yet, but you have a big part to play in all this. A big part."

Kotomi shook her head. She only wanted to save Kiishiro. She supposed she liked the game, and she felt a connection with those cards - but her ultimate goal would not change. "I activate Preparation for Ritual." She said. Both Skilled Black Magician and Magical Marionette on Ebony's side gained one Spell counter each, while Magical Conductor gained two. "Preparation for Ritual will add to my hand, from the Graveyard, one Ritual Spell card, and from the Deck, one Ritual monster that is Level 7 or lower. Hand Obliteration sent to the Graveyard the card, High Class Ritual Art. And from the deck I choose - Beautiful Goddess of Salvation - Norsewemko."

[spoiler=Preparation for Ritual][b]Preparation for Ritual[/b]
SPELL / Normal
Add to your hand 1 Level 7 or lower Ritual Monster Card from your Deck. Then you can add to your hand 1 Ritual Spell Card from your Graveyard.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=High Class Ritual Art][b]High Class Ritual Art[/b]
SPELL / Ritual
Select 1 Ritual Monster in your hand. Send Normal Monsters from your Deck to the Graveyard whose total Levels are equal to that Ritual Monster's. Ritual Summon a card with the name of the selected Ritual Monster from your hand.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Beautiful Goddess of Salvation - Norsewemko][b]Beautiful Goddess of Salvation - Norsewemko[/b]
LIGHT / Spellcaster / Ritual
Level 7
2700/1200
This card can only be Ritual Summoned with the Ritual Spell Card, "Ritual of Salvation". When this card is Ritual Summoned, select a number of face-up cards on the field (except this card), up to the number of monsters you used for the Ritual Summon. While any of the selected cards are face-up on the field, this card cannot be destroyed by card effects.[/spoiler]

"Now I activate High Class Ritual Art." Kotomi continued. "With this, I can summon the Goddess of Salvation by sending the required sacrifices from the deck to the Graveyard, instead of from the hand. But, they must all be normal monsters, and their levels must match the level of the Ritual monster exactly. So I'll simply send this one." She flipped around the card she had singled out from her deck. Black Magician.

[spoiler=Black Magician][b]Black Magician[/b]
DARK / Spellcaster
Level 7
2500/2100
[i]The ultimate wizard in terms of attack and defense.[/i][/spoiler]

The goddess that appeared on the field was imposing, a blonde young woman clad fully in a long black dress adorned with various mystical patterns, wearing a strange large hat that held up her hair and holding a scepter with a star on its edge. She seemed to exude an aura of power and control over the field.

"When Norsewemko is Ritual Summoned, I can select a card on the field that is face-up. As long as that card remains on the field, Norsewemko cannot be destroyed by card effects." She concentrated for a moment, deciphering the vague guidelines she seemed to be receiving on how to use her cards. "The card I target - the Field spell, Hidden Village of the Magicians."

"Very clever." Ebony said appraisingly. "Since it is 'part of the duel', this Field spell cannot be removed by the mechanics of the game. So Norsewemko is indestructible by card effects. But High Class Ritual Art also adds counters to all of my monsters. And even though Skilled Black Magician only needs three, Magical Conductor now has four counters, and Magical Marionette has two."

"You won't be able to use them, though." Kotomi noted. "With another Black Magician in the Graveyard, Black Magician Girl gains an additional 300 points of attack power. And now, I attack Skilled Black Magician with Black Magician Girl." She announced.

"Nice try, but I activate Holy Barrier - Mirror Force." Ebony revealed her reverse card. "This will destroy all your monsters. Even if Norsewemko survives, you won't be able to clear my field this turn."

[spoiler=Holy Barrier - Mirror Force][b]Holy Barrier - Mirror Force[/b]
TRAP / Normal
Activate only when an opponent's monster declares an attack. Destroy all Attack Position monsters your opponent controls.[/spoiler]

"However, I also have a reverse card." Kotomi pointed. "Magical Pigeon. It will return Black Magician Girl to my hand, in exchange summoning two defense position tokens, that will not be affected by Mirror Force. And, during the End Phase, Black Magician Girl will be restored." A pitch-black sorcerer's hat suddenly shrouded Black Magician Girl.

[spoiler=Magical Pigeon][b]Magical Pigeon[/b]
SPELL / Quick-Play
Return 1 face-up "Black Magician Girl" you control to your hand. Special Summon 2 "Pigeon Tokens" (WIND/Winged Beast-Type/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0) in Defense Position. During the End Phase, destroy all Pigeon Tokens you control, and Special Summon 1 "Black Magician Girl" from your hand.[/spoiler]

"Very well." Ebony allowed. "But that still doesn't change anything. Norsewemko isn't enough to destroy my monsters."

"Not by herself." Kotomi held out another Spell card in her hand. "But with this - the instant spell, Dimension Magic. The requirement is to tribute a monster on my field, if I control a Spellcaster. So I'll tribute Crusader of Endymion before he can be destroyed by Mirror Force." The repelled waves of energy fired from Ebony's trap passed through the black hat, only to reveal two white pigeons inside, and Crusader of Endymion was drawn into another dimension before he could be struck. Norsewemko simply raised her free hand, stopping the energy wave and forcing it to dissipate.

[spoiler=Dimension Magic][b]Dimension Magic[/b]
SPELL / Quick-Play
Activate only while you control a Spellcaster-Type monster. Tribute 1 monster and Special Summon 1 Spellcaster-Type monster from your hand. Then, you can destroy 1 monster on the field.[/spoiler]

"Magical Dimension's additional effect destroys a monster on your field." Kotomi pointed, and Magical Marionette was blasted to shreds. "It also lets me Special Summon a Spellcaster from my hand - namely, Chaos Magician!" A sorcerer dressed all in green, wielding a green shortsword, appeared in place of Crusader.

[spoiler=Chaos Magician][b]Chaos Magician[/b]
LIGHT / Spellcaster
Level 6
2400/1900
Negate the effect of a Monster Card that targets this 1 card.[/spoiler]

"The battle will continue!" Kotomi ordered. "Chaos Magician, attack Magical Conductor!" This time there was no resistance as the sorcerer struck down the priestess with his blade, cutting Ebony's Life Points by 700.

[i][b]Ebony[/b] - LP: 3300[/i][/center]

"And now Norsewemko, cleanse Skilled Black Magician!" The goddess of salvation released a purified wave of white energy that surrounded the dark wizard, who let out an agonized scream as he was broken down to particles. Ebony grunted a little herself, seeing as her Life now dropped further.

[i][b]Ebony[/b] - LP: 2500[/i][/center]

"I... I didn't think you could do that much." Ebony admitted, seeming to breathe a little heavily. "I am impressed. Yes, you have enough power, enough potential."

"So we can save Kiishiro?" Kotomi asked hopefully. Ebony stared at her for a few long seconds.

"Yes." She said slowly. "But first, the duel. If you have nothing else to play - it's my turn." She picked up a new card, just as Black Magician Girl materialized on the field again. "And I'm afraid your luck has just run out."
[/spoiler]

I will. Currently I'm in a tricky point - as Bahamut pointed out, this last chapter wasn't the best, though I mainly blame the fact that I had to split it into two parts. So I'm re-working some things, toying with some new ideas. I've got almost 2 chapters down, material-wise, but I don't want to post any until I get things on the right track.

Guys, you can post, you know, even if I don't have a chapter up yet. >_>

Anyways. Chapter 20, and we are getting close to the 24 mark, which will bring about the end of the second arc. According to my estimations, that should be about the halfway point through the series. In this chapter, besides the conclusion of the duel that started in the previous one, we also receive some interesting exposition. Enjoy, Shapesnatch.

[spoiler=Chapter 20]
[center][b][u]Chapter 20:[/b] Shapesnatch[/u][/center]

Sanjou Kiishiro sat near the edge of the Arc Cradle's ceiling, staring intently into the abyss below. He was worried. Something was happening out there, something that had nothing to do with the Ghosts, or Jinrei Yenma and his decision to leave the virtual world, or anything related to the war between them and Duel International, which was already underway.

Time had a strange way of passing in the virtual world, especially inside the Arc Cradle. Sometimes hours might pass by like minutes, and sometimes what felt like days might only have been a few hours. Kiishiro, of course, carefully kept track of the time that went on. Seven days had passed since he had last been in the 'real' world. Seven days without any contact except ZONE and the opposing Ghosts - if either of them could really be called contacts. He did not try to pretend he did not miss that reality. He did not try to pretend he was not afraid, afraid that he would not live to see it again. But he had accepted his role here, and had made his resolve to see it through to the bitter end.

Then, what was this feeling of dread that was suffocating him? What was going on out there, in the endless expanse of this virtual nightmare? He had no way of knowing.

---

Sannosouke Takizawa, leader of the Japanese branch of Duel International, set down the book he was reading. 'Chronicles of the Ascension', it revolved around the adventures of people whose destiny spun around the Duel Monsters game. It had been released long before Duel International had initiated the Duel Terminal network, and had faded into obscurity a long while ago, but Takizawa still liked to read it, sometimes. Now, it just increased his irritation. The messages that book conveyed were annoyingly similar to his current circumstances. He chewed on the back end of his pen, which he used to browse the touch-pad that had materialized in front of him. A few clicks, and he was examining a set of seven cards, set in a symmetrical pattern in front of him.

Seven. Each one of them represented a deck the Duel International's representatives would use, should the need arise. They were going into war, and even the uppermost commander might be reduced to the role of a simple soldier on the battlefield. Regardless of their plans, they might have to face those who sought to thwart them directly in the virtual world. For that, they had prepared unique, as of yet unreleased, cards. Using the Pylons was strictly forbidden, after the fiasco with Cornelius. That was just as well. They were too valuable to be risked, too dangerous to be used. These decks would be more than enough. But the number - that brought the question. They had been nine initially, three from each branch. With Cornelius' inexplicable death, that left eight. Seven decks for eight people. One of them had not been included in the assortment. Who was it? And why?

The first thing one might ask a group as diverse as the heads of Duel International, were he to know the truth behind their cooperation, was why. What was the reason each of them was there, banded together with people he had so little in common with, struggling to achieve such an elusive goal. Takizawa's answer would be - curiosity.

He had lived his life, and he was more or less satisfied with it. His family was already catered for. He had no financial or political aspirations, no noble ideals or dark schemes to accomplish, not any more. No, there was one thing that for Sannosouke Takizawa was the most sought-after gift, the most precious accomplishment. He needed to [i]know[/i], he wanted to find out everything, about everything. And he had managed to secure a seat from which he could record the most important events that would mark the history of the world for centuries to come - or erase that world so that there would be none who remembered them.

And those events were close at hand.

Curiosity, and a good sense of loyalty, guided Takizawa's hand. He had chosen to side with Dunkan's group, and he would not betray him unless he was betrayed first. Dunkan wanted to find out what had happened to Cornelius Klein. Klein's death seemed to be connected to a single person: Miyataka Eizan. The only link between Duel International and Eizan was a person named Yakuta Honzou. Honzou was a brilliant scientist, who had earned Takizawa's respect and friendship. He had been instrumental in structuring most of the artificial intelligence systems Duel International now used. And according to the data, he had worked with Eizan on one of the company's earlier projects, even if they had found no record of that.

Skimming through his data, Takizawa brought up the panels for project DW9001, the chain that bound everything together. If he was to track down Eizan, that was the place to start.

DW9001, or, as its full name stood, Duelist Warfare series 90 version 01. The Duelist Warfare series had been an ambitious plan for their time, an emulation of full-out war between duelists, using Duel Monsters as weapons. He skimmed through the information, his eyes narrowing with each passing line of text. He was well-versed in most of the trivia he was reading through. There was no involvement of Eizan in any of the previous series. It seemed Honzou had hired him specifically for the experimental series 90. What had happened then? Honzou had died soon after version 07 of that series, and, without its lead designer, it was discontinued. What was it that Eizan was responsible for in there? Takizawa was now fully absorbed in his research.

A word fell into his notice, an English term he was not familiar with. He blinked, quickly scanning for its meaning. And then he leaned back, crossing his fingers under his chin as he looked towards the ceiling.

Necromancy. Raising the dead back to life. This had been one of the breaking points in series 90. This had been why Honzou had hired Eizan. This was the key to finding that guy.

And once they did, Eizan was going to give them some answers, whether he wanted to or not.

---

The woman who had ventured into the depths of the virtual reality dimension in order to find a way to save her son, Sanjou Kotomi, and the mysterious girl that called herself Ebony, faced off against one another on opposite ends of the spacious table. Between them stood an eerily accurate sculpture replica of the Field Spell, Hidden Village of the Magicians, as well as miniature holograms representing their monsters. Judging by those, Kotomi currently held the overwhelming advantage. Chaos Magician, Black Magician Girl, and of course, the powerful Norsewemko, stood in front of her, whereas Ebony's side was empty save for a reverse card. Kotomi had used up all cards in her hand, whereas her opponent held two. It was a situation where Sanjou Kotomi, unexperienced as she was in the intricate mechanics of the game, could clearly see she had the upper hand.

Then, why was she feeling increasingly nervous and - even frightened, as Ebony looked at her with a delighted expression on her face?

"I activate the reverse card, Call of the Living Dead." She announced smoothly. "The monster that is revived - Black Magician!" Kotomi had used that monster to summon Norsewemko, but she had not had the chance to appreciate the overwhelming presence its visage exuded. The mightly purple-clad sorcerer raised its emerald-crafted stave, gathering up energy. Kotomi's strategy loosely centered around powering up Black Magician Girl by placing Black Magician cards to the Graveyard. Though there had been two just now, minus the one that was revived - the female spellcaster's attack force fell to 2300.

[spoiler=Call of the Living Dead][b]Call of the Living Dead[/b]
TRAP / Continuous
Select 1 monster from your Graveyard and Special Summon it in face-up Attack Position. When this card is removed from the field, destroy the monster. When the monster is destroyed, destroy this card.[/spoiler]

"Now, a magician is on my side of the field, therefore, I can activate Spell cards of my own." Ebony continued. "And I think that, just like you did, a Ritual Spell card is most appropriate! Behold, Chaos - Black Magic Ritual!" A magical circle appeared behind the top-class wizard, with two sacrificial altars, one on either side.

[spoiler=Chaos - Black Magic Ritual][b]Chaos - Black Magic Ritual[/b]
SPELL / Ritual
This card is used to Ritual Summon "Magician of Black Chaos". You must also Tribute monsters from the field or your hand whose total Levels equal 8 or more.[/spoiler]

"Unfortunately, I have nothing in my hand to offer as a sacrifice." Ebony said. "But, that is not important. The three cards that I sent to the Graveyard when I used Hand Obliteration - I call upon their powers! Ritual Devil Presider! Ritual Devil Releaser! Ritual Devil Disserere!" Kotomi barely had time to see three black shapes flowing from their Graveyard, quickly submerging into the altars.

[spoiler=Ritual Devil Presider][b]Ritual Devil Presider[/b]
DARK / Fiend
Level 4
1800/1400
When you Ritual Summon a Ritual Monster, you can remove from play this card from your Graveyard as 1 of the monsters required for the Ritual Summon. If the monster Ritual Summoned using this card destroys a monster by battle, the controller of the Ritual Monster draws 1 card.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Ritual Devil Releaser][b]Ritual Devil Releaser[/b]
DARK / Fiend
Level 3
1200/2000
When you Ritual Summon a Ritual Monster, you can remove from play this card from your Graveyard as 1 of the monsters required for the Ritual Summon. While the monster Ritual Summoned using this card is face-up on the field, your opponent cannot Special Summon.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Ritual Devil Disserere][b]Ritual Devil Disserere[/b]
DARK / Fiend
Level 1
200/200
When you Ritual Summon a Ritual Monster, you can remove from play this card from your Graveyard as 1 of the monsters required for the Ritual Summon. The monster Ritual Summoned using this card is not affected by Trap Cards.[/spoiler]

"The Ritual Devils can be removed from play while in the Graveyard, as part of the sacrifice required for a Ritual Summon." Ebony explained. "Furthermore, they provide the Ritual Summoned monster with additional effects - but we'll come to that in a second. For now - arise, Magician of Black Chaos!" Opposing Norsewemko's divine grace, this warlock dressed fully in the black of midnight, with ritually painted blue skin and long, flowing black hair, a twin-horned helmet and a crimson-and-black stave sparkling with chaotic energy - this was truly an evil magician, the direct opposite of Norsewemko. And worse - its attack points surpassed that of its holy enemy.

[spoiler=Magician of Black Chaos][b]Magician of Black Chaos[/b]
DARK / Spellcaster / Ritual
Level 8
2800/2600
This card can only be Ritual Summoned with the Ritual Spell Card, "Chaos - Black Magic Ritual".[/spoiler]

"By the effect of Ritual Devil Disserere." Ebony began, raising a single finger. "Black Magician of Chaos cannot be affected by any Trap cards you might use. Ritual Devil Presider." A second finger went up. "When Black Magician of Chaos destroys a monster, I can draw one card. And, Releaser." Third and final finger. Ebony smirked. "You cannot Special Summon monsters."

"What?!" Kotomi exclaimed. No Trap cards - and monsters could not be Special Summoned? She glanced worriedly at the monsters that stood in front of her. Under those conditions - what kind of comeback could she possibly hope to achieve?

"Battle." Ebony announced calmly. "Magician of Black Chaos attacks Beautiful Goddess of Salvation - Norsewemko. And, Black Magician attacks Black Magician Girl." A bright light and the sound of an explosion filled the miniature field, and when it cleared, Kotomi's side had suffered a devastating defeat. The only monster that now stood to protect her was Chaos Magician.

[center][i][b]Sanjou Kotomi[/b] - LP: 3250[/i]
[i][b]Ebony[/b] - LP: 2500[/i][/center]

"Due to the effect of Ritual Devil Presider, since Magician of Black Chaos just destroyed one of your monsters, I can draw once." Ebony picked up a card from the top of their combined deck. "But I think I'll save that for later. You have enough on your plate right now. Turn end."

Kotomi shook her head, trying to clear her mind. If there was one thing the woman was not known for, it was coping with difficult situations. Sanjou Kotomi had led a pretty sheltered, regular life, working her best to keep her family happy. When that precious thing she kept so close to her heart shattered, she felt despair gripping her heart. But, she would not give up. Day after day she prayed and fought, desperately, to earn a chance to save Kiishiro, who had fallen into this abyss.

She would not give up that chance.

If this 'duel' was a 'test' for her resolve to keep walking this path, she would suceed.

"Draw." She said, placing a hand on top of her deck. Kotomi was not very much of a superstitious person. But she could feel that something extraordinary was going on in this space. It was as if her very thoughts and will gave her drive, ignoring her inferior knowledge. In that case, the cards that embodied that hope would definitely respond to her!

"Magic card, Jar of Avarice." She proclaimed. "Five monsters in the Graveyard return to our deck, and in exchange I can draw two cards." She considered her options carefully. It was best to return a lot of low-levelled monsters which could be easily summoned, so that she had a chance to draw them. "Skilled Black Magician, Crusader of Endymion, Magical Conductor, Magic Knight Defender and Black Magician Girl all return to the deck." She replaced the cards and shuffled the pile, then picked up two new ones.

[spoiler=Jar of Avarice][b]Jar of Avarice[/b]
SPELL / Normal
Select 5 Monster Cards in your Graveyard. Return those cards to the Deck, then draw 2 cards.[/spoiler]

But, it was useless. Both cards she had drawn would do nothing, unless she was allowed to Special Summon monsters. Yet she could not defeat Magician of Black Chaos, the source of that seal, without using those cards. The irony nagged at her.

[i]Strength might lie where you least expect it. Do not let appearances fool you.[/i]

Kotomi had never heard those words before. But, like the invisible guidance that had led her throughout the game, they settled in her head. Strength lies where you least expect it. Those words certainly applied to Kotomi, who threw herself into a hopeless situation. To achieve her goal, she had to find strength inside of her. She glanced at her cards. The alternate possibility dawned to her. She could not rely on what was obvious. If she pushed herself, wouldn't the cards that had assembled for her answer her call?

"I summon Magical Ficialist!" She said, and a small human in a strange outfit, sporting metal gauntlets and a tall white hat that shrouded his eyes, appeared on the field.

[spoiler=Magical Ficialist][b]Magical Ficialist[/b]
LIGHT / Spellcaster / Tuner
Level 2
800/400
When this card is Normal Summoned, place 1 Spell Counter on it (max. 1). You can remove 1 Spell Counter from this card to have 1 face-up monster you control gain 500 ATK, until the End Phase.[/spoiler]

"That's a Tuner monster." Ebony noted. "Synchro Summon? You can't do that while - " Then her eyes widened, as she realized Kotomi's aim.

"Magical Ficialist's effect activates, increasing the attack power of Chaos Magician by 500 points!" The bizarre magical swordsman shone with an emerald luster, his power increasing to 2900, finally above that of Magician of Black Chaos.

"Battle! Chaos Magician, attack!" Twin spheres of flashing black light sparked and cringed against one another, until Magician of Black Chaos' magical force gave way, and the great sorcerer was incinerated in a wave of darkness.

[center][i][b]Sanjou Kotomi[/b] - LP: 3250[/i]
[i][b]Ebony[/b] - LP: 2400[/i][/center]

"Even if you do that, Ficialist's effect is only a quick reprieve until the End Phase!" Ebony said, evidently angry at the fall of her powerful monster. "Black Magician will be stronger during my next turn!"

"But before that, by paying 800 Life Points, the Equip magic, Fulfillment of the Contract activates. I target a Ritual monster in my Graveyard and Special Summon it, attaching it with this card. The downside is, if this card is destroyed, that Ritual monster is removed from the game. I will return Norsewemko." The imposing magical goddess returned to the field.

[spoiler=Fulfillment of the Contract][b]Fulfillment of the Contract[/b]
SPELL / Equip
Pay 800 Life Points. Select 1 Ritual Monster from your Graveyard, Special Summon it, and equip it with this card. When this card is destroyed, remove the equipped monster from play.[/spoiler]

[center][i][b]Sanjou Kotomi[/b] - LP: 2450[/i]

"And, Magical Ficialist is also a Tuner monster." Kotomi replied. "Now that Magician of Black Chaos is gone, I can Special Summon monsters again. And now I tune the Level 6, Chaos Magician, to the Level 2, Magical Ficialist! Synchro Summon!" She had no Level 8 Spellcaster monster to summon from the Extra deck. But, a surging light beckoned to her, a feeling of warmth and trust. This monster would carry on her wishes. "Come, Holy Knight Perseus!"

[spoiler=Holy Knight Perseus][b]Holy Knight Perseus[/b]
LIGHT / Fairy / Synchro
Level 8
2600/2100
1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner LIGHT monsters
Once per turn, you can change the battle position of 1 face-up monster your opponent controls. During battle between this attacking card and a Defense Position monster whose DEF is lower than the ATK of this card, inflict the difference as Battle Damage to your opponent.[/spoiler]

Though the blade-wielding holy knight, riding atop a sapphire wyvern, was only marginally stronger than Black Magician, Kotomi felt she could entrust her battle to him. "Turn end." She said quietly.

"It is my turn. Draw." Ebony said, with a strangely cool tone. "Let me ask you something, miss Sanjou Kotomi. You've been dueling admirably so far, despite this being your first time as a duelist. How do you feel? Have you realized your purpose yet?"

Her purpose? Yes, Kotomi had seen it. The old Sanjou Kotomi was a person unfit for this world, unable to face the crisis that threatened her son. She should rediscover herself, become stronger, reach and surpass her limits. By placing her trust in those cards, she would be able to gain the power needed to -

"No."

"Huh?" Kotomi could not help a startled motion, as Ebony was looking straight towards her, pitch-black pools of unreadable darkness locked into her eyes.

"You do not understand." She shook her head. "You are not meant to obtain strength. A person is only weak when they convince themselves that they are weak. The fact that you think 'I need to become stronger' is your only failing. People are already as strong as they need to be. They just need to discover that strength."

"But... but, if that is so..." Kotomi muttered, confused.

"If you are meant to reach Sanjou Kiishiro, your road will be a long one. But, if it puts your mind at ease, he is in no immediate danger. For now, I have other plans for you. I activate the Magic card, Dragon Destroyer's Proof, to add Buster Blader to my hand from the Deck!"

[spoiler=Dragon Destroyer's Proof][b]Dragon Destroyer's Proof[/b]
SPELL / Normal
Add 1 "Buster Blader" from your Deck or your Graveyard to your hand.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Buster Blader][b]Buster Blader[/b]
EARTH / Warrior
Level 7
2600/2300
This card gains 500 ATK for each Dragon-Type monster your opponent has on the field or in their Graveyard.[/spoiler]

"Then, Magic card, Fusion! Fusion will merge two of the monsters in my hand or field into a stronger one! I target Black Magician on the field, as well as Buster Blader im my hand!" A luminescent visage of the muscular knight with a massive broadsword strapped across his back and the purple-clad magician were absorbed into a spiralling vortex.

[spoiler=Fusion][b]Fusion[/b]
SPELL / Normal
Send Fusion Material Monsters that are listed on a Fusion Monster Card from your hand or your side of the field to the Graveyard, and Special Summon that Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck.[/spoiler]

"Fusion Summon! Descend, Super Magical Swordsman - Black Paladin!" From within that chaotic light, a new warrior appeared, his armor a polished dark green, and the halberd it was wielding a gathering point for black sacred luster.

[spoiler=Super Magical Swordsman - Black Paladin][b]Super Magical Swordsman - Black Paladin[/b]
DARK / Spellcaster / Fusion
Level 9
2900/2400
"Black Magician" + "Buster Blader"
This monster cannot be Special Summoned except by Fusion Summon. You can discard 1 card to negate the activation of a Spell Card and destroy it. This card gains 500 ATK for each Dragon-Type monster on the field and in either player's Graveyard.[/spoiler]

Kotomi breathed in, steadily. The new Fusion monster that had appeared was extremely powerful, stronger than either her revived Ritual monster, or her Synchro monster. But, at most, it could only destroy one of her monsters. If Ebony chose Norsewemko, Kotomi could use Perseus' effect to destroy Black Paladin next turn. If Ebony targeted the Holy Knight, Kotomi would still have a Spellcaster on the field, and she could possibly use a Spell card to reverse the situation. It was not over yet.

"It seems that you believe that since I cannot destroy both of your monsters, you will be able to counterattack next turn." Ebony shook her head. "How naive. This farce is finished." She flipped over the last card in her hand. "I equip Giant Growth to Black Paladin." The warrior shone ominously, and seemed to gain in size. "Now that my Life Points are lower than yours, even by a minimal margin, my monster's attack points..." She grinned maliciously. "...double." The magic swordsman power skyrocketed to a massive 5800 points.

[spoiler=Giant Growth][b]Giant Growth[/b]
SPELL / Equip
While your Life Points are lower than your opponent's, the original ATK of the equipped monster is doubled. While your Life Points are higher, the original ATK of the equipped monster is halved.[/spoiler]

Kotomi froze in her seat, hands gripping the edge of the table until her knuckles whitened. It couldn't be! She had tried her best, yet -

"A smart, educated woman like yourself can do the math, no?" Ebony, dropping all pretense of politeness, asked with venomous sarcasm. "Even if Norsewemko survives, I will not have to worry about that, because your Life Points will be at zero."

"I won't lie." Ebony continued, as Black Paladin charged his powerful magical strike. "This won't be pleasant, and it won't end quickly. I won't feel sorry for you, though. After all, you've structured yourself quite a cozy place." She waved her hand over the table, which still contained the illusion of the Hidden Village. But was it really an illusion? If you looked very carefully, tiny people seemed to be walking around the trees and buildings, exclaiming in shock and fear at the - comparatively - giant form of the magical swordsman.

"I hope you enjoy spending eternity in it. Battle! Black Paladin, attack Holy Knight Perseus!" And Kotomi screamed, as an attack of unparalleled magnitude struck the very core of her existence.

[center][i][b]Sanjou Kotomi[/b] - LP: 0[/i]

---

Having finally gotten rid of the human pest, Ebony stood up. Her face flickered, and for an instant, it was that of Sanjou Kotomi - for just an instant, before it reverted back to her own. She had all she needed now. This accursed prison her sister had banished her to - with the help of this naive woman, she had escaped it. And now it was time to get her revenge.

In a blur of darkness, she vanished, leaving the empty chamber behind.

Empty, except for the tiny little figures trapped within the Field spell still carved on the table, whose numbers had just received a new addition.

[/spoiler]

You think you're struggling for comments? I can't buy any no matter what stuff I pull in mine.

Anyway Chapter 20, very interesting, quite horrifying way to trap someone, and another player (two even, and a third hinted at again) make their way on the metaporical chessboard.

Ebony vs Kiishiro will be good later.

Just looked up Shapesnatch on Yugioh Wikia. Lol, I get the hint now. :D

[quote name='Bahamut ZERO' timestamp='1297790968' post='5010464']
You think you're struggling for comments? I can't buy any no matter what stuff I pull in mine.

Anyway Chapter 20, very interesting, quite horrifying way to trap someone, and another player (two even, and a third hinted at again) make their way on the metaporical chessboard.

Just looked up Shapesnatch on Yugioh Wikia. Lol, I get the hint now. :D
[/quote]
Shapesnatch is YCM's official meme.

It's very refreshing to have the character motivated by the powers of Hope and Rainbows to lose.

This Chapter was quite interesting. I am also noticing that your Chapters are slowly decreasing in size. But hey, Quality > Quantity amirite? But one problem is, besides Ebony's face flickering for that last moment in this Chapter, I see no resemblance or something that gives a reason why the chapter is named Shapesnatch.

[quote name='Dr. Cakey' timestamp='1297820074' post='5011427']

[b]It's very refreshing to have the character motivated by the powers of Hope and Rainbows to lose.[/b]
[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote name='Anbu-of-Sand' timestamp='1297823613' post='5011520']
This Chapter was quite interesting. I am also noticing that your Chapters are slowly decreasing in size. But hey, Quality > Quantity amirite? But one problem is, besides Ebony's face flickering for that last moment in this Chapter, I see no resemblance or something that gives a reason why the chapter is named Shapesnatch.
[/quote]

Hadn't noticed about the chapters. I suspect the hint of metamorphic powers was it.

Now you two comment on my bloddy fic. NOW!!! (This is what I have fallen to :( Sorry Saber)

[/quote]

Wait until you reach double the size of your fic, and you're still hanging on to three people commenting (I still <3 you guys).

[/quote]

Expect a lot of behind-the-scenes action in the last four chapters of this arc. The plan is for you guys to have a solid idea of what mostly everyone is generally up to by the end of the arc, so that the next one can start slowly converging all the individual storylines. But yeah, more on that later.

[/quote]

I've half a mind to subvert that, too.

[quote name='Dr. Cakey' timestamp='1297820074' post='5011427']

It's very refreshing to have the character motivated by the powers of Hope and Rainbows to lose.
[/quote]

Hope always wins is a trope I always love to subvert.

[quote name='Anbu-of-Sand' timestamp='1297823613' post='5011520']
[/quote]

Hmm. I'm generally keeping my chapters at a decent length. I suspect it's more about me posting some monster chapters lately (6000 words or more) and less about chapters being shorter than they should. There's also the fact that I also count card descriptions, so chapters with duels, and especially with duels where a lot of cards are used, are shorter in content. Word count-wise, they're all at least 4000 words long. Well, 21 is longer, so look forward to that.

This chapter and the previous one should have made this chapter's title name quite clear, actually. If they did not, it was probably my failing, so when / if the rewrite comes, I'll add some more exposition into Ebony's thoughts.

[quote name='Bahamut ZERO' timestamp='1297849181' post='5011931']
Hadn't noticed about the chapters. I suspect the hint of metamorphic powers was it.

Now you two comment on my bloddy fic. NOW!!! (This is what I have fallen to :( Sorry Saber)
[/quote]

I was actually at university the whole day, so I didn't have enough time to post around. I'll go do that now.

[quote name='Anbu-of-Sand' timestamp='1297864625' post='5012040']
Also, when is that Chaos Sorcerer chapter coming out eh? ;D
[/quote]

Not too soon, I fear. Epic names are reserved for later chapters. I haven't settled on things yet, of course, but I'd say around end-of-arc-3-ish.

Archived