Do YOU Support The Official Release?

6 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever supported the official release of an anime or manga?

• Yes
    • No, but I'm planning to do so in the near future.
    • No
    • No, I'd never waste my money like that.
  2. 2. Would you laugh at someone who actually did support the official release?

• Yes
    • Maybe
    • No

The anime/manga industry has been failing for quite a long time outside of Japan, even as a niche market. One of the main reasons for this is piracy. Piracy has, among other thing, caused sales drops, makes less series get official translations, and has made a lot of official translations go on hiatus due to the lessened sales.

So, discuss piracy.

IMO, it's justified only when the series either hasn't been officially released in English, or has been released, but was translated by a translator who changes things around in ways like 4Kids would do at their worst ([url="http://astronerdboy.blogspot.com/2007/04/negima-volume-1-del-rey-and-peter-david.html"]yes, there are translators like this[/url]; I'd still pick up the series if it were to get a re-translated re-release like the series that link did, though), to keep up with the recent manga chapters (though I'd still pick up the new English volumes), or it's out of print and thus hard to find.

My town sucks for decent, but non-expensive manga. They usually only have a very limited range, so do some website as I found with my struggle to find vol 1 of the Darker Than Black manga and much of Record Of A Fallen Vampire. Postage sometimes does put me off buying subbed as well, although I've brought some reasonable stuff off ebay subbed in decent quality (the Death Note films, I did buy some YGO (DM 1-224, GX 1-20, YGO The Movie Subbed and Dubbed) although the subbing was poor in places like Green Eyes...instead of White). My town only tends to sell the series dubbed, which I'm not a fan of, I'd only buy the Pokemon films Dubbed, as hard as they are to find all together)

Planning on shelling about £200 on several manga series in the near future.

I support most of the ongoing series I read. I own all or most of Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece. I just need to read the copies I own. Side from those three the only ongoing one I read is FT and I'm hoping to buy some of it at some point. I also am subscribed to SJ.

As for anime, I don't buy copies. I do try to avoid fan subs though. Of the anime I followed, FMA, OP, Bleach, and Naruto I watch the stuff Viz and FUN posts since i don't mind waiting a week.

Oh, people actually posted. In that case, I guess I should post what I've been doing in regards to that.

I haven't ever bought any, since I didn't have access to money, plus the price difference for manga between Canada and the US is stupid (IIRC, it's a $5 price jump, even though the currency is worth about the same right now).

But now that I can have access to money, I'm planning on dropping some enormous amount of cash to buy every currently released volume of every ongoing series I like that hasn't released 40+ volumes, since I can't drop $600 all at once right now for one series.

Go for it, its well worth it. Seeing if I can get my parents to let me buy all the manga I want, not as if I'm gonna use the £200 for anything else, I'm a good saver =D. (I spend that amount outside rent in what 4 months) Saying that now my Debit card can be used on the webs, I've set up several accounts on sites I could buy stuff from and do it because I want to. I dislike having my parents decide if I can have it.

I like being able to have the mangas to hand in case I want to check something, although a reference volume like Death Note's How To Read 13 would be useful for every manga series.

Archived