I want a second active CCG, and am interested in hearing opinions on how to achieve this. No cards in this thread. Please contribute <3

-Griffin

So yeah, title.

As the subtitle says, I've often seen CCGs work over holidays, but fade out very quickly when holidays are done. Would a CCG that doesn't even try to show some weak display of the occasional cards during the normal school term be more attractive? Something where cards aren't edited once added? Something with less strict rules on card acceptance than some previous ones? Do you like/dislike the inclusion of certain TCG cards?

Simply, what do you want in a CCG, I'm personally feeling the holiday one is a strong contender for a new CCG.
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the problem with many CCGs are that they are much less known, with them only being seen in Written Cards with a majority of members in Realistic or Any Other Cards. The best sort of approach is probably to release during holidays, with the majority of updates during the holidays but enough also in school term in order to keep it active. A holiday theme would definitely please me. TCG cards-wise, a few is probably a good idea. I've been trying to think of ideas for a CCG project of my own and decided on releasing 10-20 TCG cards with every set, with a few 30 card TCG sets just to boost variety every so often.
The point of a holiday one isn't Holiday-focus, it's holiday-exclusive. Some members find it too difficult to be active during term and any updates at all during that time could make them feel like they've lost track of the game and entirely defeats the point. A new thread would be made every holiday, with cards/ect having been archived.
[quote name='-Griffin' timestamp='1300529460' post='5082565']
So yeah, title.

As the subtitle says, I've often seen CCGs work over holidays, but fade out very quickly when holidays are done. Would a CCG that doesn't even try to show some weak display of the occasional cards during the normal school term be more attractive?

[b]I don't get this sentence.... lol[/b]

Something where cards aren't edited once added?

[b]This would be good. If a card is broken or useless, you can just ignore or put it on the banlist. We have a Banlist updater for YVD but never used it, which is quite stupid. IMO, a Ban List makes a CCG more authentic.[/b]

Something with less strict rules on card acceptance than some previous ones?

[b]If you use a banlist, there'd be no reason to have strict rules, or rather, you have a reason to loosen the rules.[/b]

Do you like/dislike the inclusion of certain TCG cards?

[b]basically yes, but no to staples. I'd rather go with some Tier 3 decks for the start, to have a bigger card pool.[/b]

Simply, what do you want in a CCG,

[b]Images, a banlist and a more organized way of submitting cards.[/b]

I'm personally feeling the holiday one is a strong contender for a new CCG.
[/quote]

[quote name='-Griffin' timestamp='1300533674' post='5082613']
The point of a holiday one isn't Holiday-focus, it's holiday-exclusive. Some members find it too difficult to be active during term and any updates at all during that time could make them feel like they've lost track of the game and entirely defeats the point. A new thread would be made every holiday, with cards/ect having been archived.
[/quote]

The problem is, that americans and europeans, people from the UK or poland, don't have their holidays at the same time.
...Generally both groups have a holiday during the Summer months, which are the same for both. I think it might be a few weeks out at either end, but starting or ending when just a few members are back at school isn't too bad, is it?

EDIT: And I agree that images are nice... but they're a pain to come by.

Could people suggest 'organized' ways of submitting cards? A time period thing? Pre-plan the general things coming in a set? A structure of submitting, reviewing, testing, banlist placement? Ect, ect.
Honestly with all of our experiments regarding CCG's and gathering information. We can easily overcome any banlist or ruling issue (BTCSS/because the creator said so) or otherwise. Pretty simple, and the active environment is very possible as long as we have active Staff that can manage everything as it needs to be.

*: We need staff upon staff in this case. Why? Because when one person has to leave for schooling and stuff, you need people to be able to update it and act in their steed. It's simply a function of staying active.

*: A fair way to submit cards, but REQUIRE people to duel. If you don't duel, all you're doing is theorizing and basically... submitting created cards into a collective thread. That isn't a CCG, it's a Community Project.

*: We would apparently need some kind of TCG involvement if it isn't fully dedicated. This is simply due to a couple factors. Having a base for cards helps dueling activity and people get familiarized, you can eventually phase this part out however. It makes the whole process of balancing and checking so much simpler. (As we have noticed with Alfred's Communication with the LCCG).

*: While a client isn't required and YVD is helpful, it also severely limits everything we can do due to it not being a... personalized client. There's an innate draw that a personalized program has, even more so than modifying a preexisting one. Also updating would be tremendously easier, and we could add things to help people such as rulings tabs etc. Not to mention motivating everyone to duel a lot.

Again, the last one isn't a requirement. But this is my observations from each CCG.
[quote name='Icyblue' timestamp='1300562830' post='5083344']
Honestly with all of our experiments regarding CCG's and gathering information. We can easily overcome any banlist or ruling issue (BTCSS/because the creator said so) or otherwise. Pretty simple, and the active environment is very possible as long as we have active Staff that can manage everything as it needs to be.

[b]A banlist makes a CCG more authentic. Of course we don't need it, but editing submitted cards when they are broken seems artificial to me.[/b]

*: A fair way to submit cards, but REQUIRE people to duel. If you don't duel, all you're doing is theorizing and basically... submitting created cards into a collective thread. That isn't a CCG, it's a Community Project.

[b]Doesn't work IMO. You shouldn't work with force, but with rewards.[/b]

*: While a client isn't required and YVD is helpful, it also severely limits everything we can do due to it not being a... personalized client. There's an innate draw that a personalized program has, even more so than modifying a preexisting one. Also updating would be tremendously easier, and we could add things to help people such as rulings tabs etc. Not to mention motivating everyone to duel a lot.

[b]An own dueling program would of course be great, but do you know someone who can make one? And doing so coul be taking too much time i think.[/b]

[/quote]
[quote name='-Griffin' timestamp='1300538657' post='5082653']
Could people suggest 'organized' ways of submitting cards? A time period thing? Pre-plan the general things coming in a set? A structure of submitting, reviewing, testing, banlist placement? Ect, ect.
[/quote]
[quote name='Icyblue' timestamp='1300562830' post='5083344']

[b]A banlist makes a CCG more authentic. Of course we don't need it, but editing submitted cards when they are broken seems artificial to me.[/b]
[color="#0000FF"]I didn't hint at it, however I do believe if a person makes a bannable card and it isn't in poor design to count it as their submission and leave it on the Ban List. This is both a way to show their effort and a preemptive for down the line.[/color]

[b]Doesn't work IMO. You shouldn't work with force, but with rewards.[/b]
[color="#0000FF"]The Worldwide Duel had a hell of a lot of submissions and we required dueling for everything. I got them via the threads, PM's, MSN and all that. I think the average was 5-10 duels a day per active person so about 20-30 duels total a day which is a lot all things considering.
[/color]

[b]An own dueling program would of course be great, but do you know someone who can make one? And doing so coul be taking too much time i think.[/b]
[color="#0000FF"]I do but they do not have the time.[/color]

[/quote]
[quote name='-Griffin' timestamp='1300538657' post='5082653']
...Generally both groups have a holiday during the Summer months, which are the same for both. I think it might be a few weeks out at either end, but starting or ending when just a few members are back at school isn't too bad, is it?

EDIT: And I agree that images are nice... but they're a pain to come by.

Could people suggest 'organized' ways of submitting cards? A time period thing? Pre-plan the general things coming in a set?

[b]Basically this. At the beggining of each set you say that you want to have x monsters and x spells, x archtypes, x synchros etc. Just like the real packs. [/b]

A structure of submitting, reviewing, testing, banlist placement? Ect, ect.
[/quote]

A CCG only during Summer months? And the remaining time of the year pause? Eh....

They are... What about opening an image archive for your CCG? With Images from Imagemakers and Jazin etc. ? There would be enough stuff for at least 500 cards. That would require people t to search for images before making the actually card though.
The Worldwide Duel had a hell of a lot of submissions and we required dueling for everything. I got them via the threads, PM's, MSN and all that. I think the average was 5-10 duels a day per active person so about 20-30 duels total a day which is a lot all things considering.

[b]I know, that people cheated on that. And WWD died, I don't think it's a good example...[/b]
[color="#0000FF"][b]Icy Edit:[/b] It didn't, I closed it due to me and Griffin not having the time required to keep everything up. And I'm sure some cheated, but I got active duel logs for half of them.[/color]

[quote name='-Griffin' timestamp='1300564851' post='5083409']
Well, for one, we only need the small, lower quality images. Just anything other than white could be nice, even randomly generated patterns that have a fitting colour scheme.

And it'd be Summer & Christmas. I like the idea, but I'm up for other ideas.
[/quote]

What about making a credit system? People earn credits from others by winning against them, by selling their cards to other members (This would be very difficult to organize, but trading and selling cards would be something completly new) or by doing some staff's work.
And with their earned credits they can buy packs.
[quote name='-Griffin' timestamp='1300567711' post='5083470']
Personally dislike the buying cards system. Would like to hear if we could have a general consensus on that point.
[/quote]

Agreed, it would complicate things and honestly create an unfair advantage.
Why won't we take as a reference what IRL game does...

First of all speaking about releases:
* Create a Inital Card Pool with enough cards to make it so people could start playing without needing to rush is creating expansions that fast.
* 3/4 Sets a Year (Sets of 80 Cards + 20 OCG Cards) would be good enough for creating a card MAIN card Pool.
* Promotional Cards Sets: Similar to Extra Packs, that add minimal Updates to card pool while opening further support for cards submitted during each Expansion set. (Primarly containing stuff that was left out due to space and/or new original stuff.)*This are aim to mantain the CCG interesting during the time new and Bigger Sets are to being released*
* Banlist: Basicly should work like IRL...where each 6 months and according to the results of that playtesting we can certantly be sure of where cards should go on listing.
*Publicity: This kind of Stuff is always useful for creating exiting for the Game...early Spoilers, and promotion should bring people on on what the CCG will have to come. (This kind of Stuff requires of Course ealy work from the develompent team to have some decitions made about what each set would contain or not)

For things like Banlist Creation, Sets Creation and Basis development there should be a Work Team that regulates the way the game advances from its inital state to whatever it evolves during time...something like that...

I might forgotten stuff...But I'll see what else can I apport

[quote name='-Dae-' timestamp='1300571451' post='5083542']
Why won't we take as a reference what IRL game does...

First of all speaking about releases:
* Create a Inital Card Pool with enough cards to make it so people could start playing without needing to rush is creating expansions that fast.
* 3/4 Sets a Year (Sets of 80 Cards + 20 OCG Cards) would be good enough for creating a card MAIN card Pool.
* Promotional Cards Sets: Similar to Extra Packs, that add minimal Updates to card pool while opening further support for cards submitted during each Expansion set. (Primarly containing stuff that was left out due to space and/or new original stuff.)*This are aim to mantain the CCG interesting during the time new and Bigger Sets are to being released*
* Banlist: Basicly should work like IRL...where each 6 months and according to the results of that playtesting we can certantly be sure of where cards should go on listing.
*Publicity: This kind of Stuff is always useful for creating exiting for the Game...early Spoilers, and promotion should bring people on on what the CCG will have to come. (This kind of Stuff requires of Course ealy work from the develompent team to have some decitions made about what each set would contain or not)

For things like Banlist Creation, Sets Creation and Basis development there should be a Work Team that regulates the way the game advances from its inital state to whatever it evolves during time...something like that...

I might forgotten stuff...But I'll see what else can I apport
[/quote]

So you want to give only a part of the community the opportunity to make cards?

If I understood you properly :lol:

[quote name='Hp doom' timestamp='1300573025' post='5083577']
So you want to give only a part of the community the opportunity to make cards?

If I understood you properly :lol:
[/quote]

No actually everyone can make cards...but a dedicated team will test which ones will actually made it...more precisely...when they will make it...as in having our own Research and Development Team...or something like that...

This way we can get an even amount of cards an avoid having stuff being too powerfull all of the sudden...and that s***...

Okay. Quick draft of a CCG 'plan', this isn't something I plan to do yet, it's just a draft to tack things on so we have a template of what we want in a CCG:

-Focus on holidays. During each summer, 2-3 'main sets' will be released, which will each have a specified angle, some things we specifically want, ect.

-Cards will be highly encouraged to have pictures. Quality is not an issue, but anything at all to represent them is good, so that you don't have to keep reading names and stuff.

-A banlist will be used. Cards can be errata'd if it would save a Deck by modding a little nuance, but generally the banlist is the way forward here.

-During the school term, 'extra-pack' style released will happen that are much smaller - 20 card max sorta stuff. This will stop people drastically falling behind or missing out on submitting to make the CCG 'more theirs' if they can't be active in term time. Duels are encouraged throughout term, but by no means required.

-New banlist at the start/finish of Summer and at Christmas. Emergency updates if really required.

-One 'main set' over each Christmas holiday.

-TCG will be in the initial set, after that, new TCG cards only, generally. This is so they fade out and it feels more 'custom', but so they can bolster the initial card pool.

-It will be YVD. There is no other practical solution, unfortunately.

-Duels will not be required, but if people cannot give backing for their card, relating to how duels in the game pan out, then that can be reason for rejection of the card, so it's a 'soft-requirement' in that if you haven't dueled for a week or so, you can still probably justify your cards. This won't be used zealously to discourage people who aren't great at justification, only if we think it's required due to card flooding or people who just 'don't get it', as a way to start a debate and get them thinking.

Archived