I want a second active CCG, and am interested in hearing opinions on how to achieve this. No cards in this thread. Please contribute <3

-Griffin

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IMO Instead of Archetypes make the first set have each monster type follow a trend (a Strategical order...kinda like how Psychics were at the moment of their release)..along with a spare of Type Specific Support + Every generic Card we will need.

For an Example:
Taken from my ScienceVSMagic set, in which the idea was represent certain strategies to be associated to a different Type having they go into a sort of...ehm IDK how to explain it but the example may help me clarify...

in Set
Magic was Represent by 3 Types; Fiends, Spellcasters and Fairies, of which:
Spellcaster was related to pure Magic therefore, they benefit and get Support by the use of Spell Cards.
Fiends represented the powers of Dark Magic and Demons...the premise of them was to pay a high price for the benefit of having quite powerful effect...Sorta like Double Edge techniques of sort
And Fairies was related to White Magic, dealing with protection and purification of Magic

on the Other hand Science was represented by 3 Types; Psychic, Machines and Thunder, of Which:
Psychics were related to the obscure sides of the Mind and the strick word of Science, opposed to the Magic represent by the Spellcasters, they Support and were Supported by the use of Trap Card instead.
Machine, use logic methods to oppose any enemy, they were programmed for survival by using their companions as support for their effect and recicle and become more powerful at the cost of destroyed and used parts.
Thunder dealed with the laws of Physics at molecular level...the power of electricity...and Gravity...dealing with effects that modified the battle state (Changing Battle Position and always bing linked by themselves)

That would be sorta my idea, hopefully it isn't too unclear....>_<

=3
[quote name='-Dae-' timestamp='1301192533' post='5099299']
IMO Instead of Archetypes make the first set have each monster type follow a trend (a Strategical order...kinda like how Psychics were at the moment of their release)..along with a spare of Type Specific Support + Every generic Card we will need.

[/quote]

Where is the difference between a bunch of monster's that follow a trend and an archtype? Except for the name.

I like that other idea though, why not make both? or better, combine both?

[quote name='Ba'al' timestamp='1301206043' post='5099846']
[spoiler=Like this, Griffin?]Blackwater Serpent
Sea Serpent/Effect/WATER/4 Stars
You can discard this card to add "Fathomless Abyss" to your hand. When this card is flipped face-up while "Fathomless Abyss" is on the field, your opponent discards 1 random card from his/her hand.
ATK/600 DEF/2200

Abyssal Shipwrecker
When this card is flipped face-up, destroy all Level 3 or lower monsters on your opponents side of the field.
ATK/1500 DEF/1500

Jaws of the Depth
When this card is flipped face-up, Special Summon 1 Level 3 or lower Sea Serpent-type monster from your hand or Deck in face-down Defense Position.
ATK/100 DEF/1400

Dweller of the Depths
Sea Serpent/Tuner/WATER/3 Stars
When this card is flipped face-up, select 1 face-down monster you control. Change it to face-up Defense Position. If the monster is a Sea Serpent-type monster, send this card and the selected card to the Graveyard to Special Summon 1 Synchro Monster in face-down Defense Position with a Level equal to this card and the selected monsters Level. This is treated as a Synchro Summon.
ATK/200 DEF/2000

Alluring Mermaid
Sea Serpent/Effect/WATER/3 Stars
The ATK of this card is equal to the number of face-down monsters on the field x800. When this card destroys a face-down Defense Position monster by battle, you can Special Summon the destroyed monster to your side of the field in face-down Defense Position. The monster Special Summoned by this cards effect cannot be Tributed, cannot change its Battle Position or be used as a Synchro Material monster.
ATK/? DEF/0

Serpent of the Northern Sea
Sea Serpent/Synchro/WATER/7 Stars
1 Sea Serpent-type Tuner monster + 1 or more non-Tuner monster(s)
When this card is Synchro Summoned, you can change it to face-down Defense Position. When this card is flipped face-up, draw 1 card and reveal it to your opponent. If the card was a Level 4 or lower Sea Serpent-type monster, you can Special Summon it in face-down Defense Position. If the card was a Spell or Trap card, you can send it to your Graveyard to deal damage to your opponent equal to the ATK of this card.
ATK/800 DEF/3000

Fathomless Abyss
Field Spell Card
When a Sea Serpent-type monster you control is flipped face-up, you can change it to face-down Defense Position during the End Phase. Each player must pay 800 Life Points to Normal Summon or Flip Summon a monster other then a Sea Serpent-type monster. When this card is removed from the field, you can Special Summon 1 "Neptulon - Dragon of the Fathomless Abyss" from your hand, Deck or Graveyard.

Neptulon - Dragon of the Fathomless Abyss
Sea Serpent/Effect/WATER/10 Stars
When this card is Special Summoned by the effect of "Fathomless Abyss", you can pay half your Life Points to destroy all cards on the field, except this card. This card cannot attack during the turn your used this effect. When this card attacks, destroy 1 card on the field except for this card's attack target. If the destroyed card was a monster, you cannot initiate a Replay. If you do, all Battle Damage this card deals to your opponent during this turn becomes 0. Tribute 1 Sea Serpent-type monster you control to add 1 "Fathomless Abyss" from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand.
ATK/3800 DEF/3000[/spoiler]
[/quote]

[quote name='Thread Title']Replying to I want a second active CCG, and am interested in hearing opinions on how to achieve this. No cards in this thread. Please contribute <3[/quote]
[quote name='-Dae-' timestamp='1301192533' post='5099299']
IMO Instead of Archetypes make the first set have each monster type follow a trend (a Strategical order...kinda like how Psychics were at the moment of their release)..[b]along with a spare of Type Specific Support[/b] + Every generic Card we will need.[/quote]

Yes. Themes instead of archetypes can work well. There are plenty of non-archetype decks out there. They just require a little bit of thought to discover. Like Junk and Debris or Simorgh Lockdown or Rock Stun or Tricky Turbo or Quickdraw Dandywarrior etc.

So:

Set 0
- Approximately 500 cards.
- Up to [b]50-70[/b] cards allowed for archetypes, give or take a few cards for slightly larger ones.
- The other 430-450 for generic stuff.

100, absolutely not. 100 would mean about 9 or 10 archetypes. 5 archetypes is ideal with 7 being the absolute most for me. It keeps play varied but not too varied in which that it is impossible to make decks. Introduce more in later sets instead. For the archetype cards, have a slightly different submission system. Give 10 archetype slots but only choose 5-7 of them to place in (or just let 5-7 archetypes be made).
Okay, some stuff:
- Some of Ba'als cards look broken, and you totally stole my flip-sea-serpent theme, that I made for NGD, and as one of my first ever sets >:

- Whenever you make type-support, that support must be considered for all cards made of that type. In moderation, this is good and encourages interesting tech, but we've got to be careful not to flood types with support that can be used whenever that type is included in a Deck in any number, since it could make us have to consider too much, and restrict creativity. It's a balancing act.

- I have the next 3 weeks off, which means I can be uber-active. I'm totally up for kicking off Set 0.

- I made a comment last week, but the site going down deleted it, so I probably forgot to repost some of that here, please point out anything I forgot.
It should be easy to USE, not going to be as easy to MAKE, I think. Still checking.

EDIT: I don't know if I've got the server know-how for a wiki with admins & access rights... would a simple, bog-standard wiki with backups be good enough for people? I should be able to do that.

Archived