[MTG] Q&A

[quote name='.Leo' timestamp='1312769675' post='5423886']
I am starting MTG and I don't understand the different formats. Can someone explain the difference between Mondern, Standard, Sealed, etc...?

I already understand booster drafting.
[/quote]

Here's some background information:

Every 3 months, a set is released. This set will either be the beginning set of a block or an expansion for the block. The entire block rotates together.
Independently, every year a Core Set (Magic [year]) is made.

• Standard fluctuates in size throughout the year. However, it has a repeating rotation pattern:
Whenever the first set of a block becomes legal for tournament play, the block before the previous block rotates out, and the Core Set before the most recent one rotates out. No other changes are made except for the EXTREMELY rare occurrence of card banning. Example:
Block A, Block B, and Core Set D are currently made. Core Set E gets made. Nothing happens; the Standard is Blocks A and B and Core Sets D and E. Then the first set of Block C is made, causing Block A and Core Set D to rotate out; the Standard is now Block B, Set C1, and Core Set E. Nothing rotates out when Sets C2, C3, or Core Set F is made.

• Modern is a new format that says the only cards legal are cards that appear in sets since the new border was implemented, meaning any card printed since Eighth Edition is legal. Last I checked, the banlist is:

Ancient Den
Seat of the Synod
Vault of Whispers
Great Furnace
Tree of Tales
Chrome Mox
Dark Depths
Sensei's Divining Top
Skullclamp
Sword of the Meek
Umezawa's Jitte
Golgari Grave-Troll
Do note that the banlist may change and may have already changed.

• Sealed is a format where the only cards you have are cards you open from booster packs. Each player gets a set amount of a specified set of booster packs. They must only use the cards they have, plus any number of basic lands, to make a 40+ card deck.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name='Noel Vermillion' timestamp='1313199695' post='5437912']
Can I used Mindbreak Trap to exile Emrakul from stack?
[/quote]

Emrakul says "cannot be countered".

Mindbreak Trap doesn't say "counter".

Yes you can. However, if your opponent cast Emrakul, they'll still get the extra turn, since Mindbreak Trap can only exile spells, not abilities.

[quote name='Mystery Guest' timestamp='1313200758' post='5437973']
Emrakul says "cannot be countered".

Mindbreak Trap doesn't say "counter".

Yes you can. However, if your opponent cast Emrakul, they'll still get the extra turn, since Mindbreak Trap can only exile spells, not abilities.
[/quote]
The part I was unsure on was "protection from colored spells" actually.

[quote name='Noel Vermillion' timestamp='1313200847' post='5437978']
The part I was unsure on was "protection from colored spells" actually.
[/quote]
Protection abilities only work while on the battlefield, not on the stack. That's why Elvish Piper works with Progenitus.

[quote name='King of Nothing' timestamp='1313201171' post='5437993']
EDIT: After further reading Mindbreak Trap, it WOULD be able to get rid of Emrakul, as it treats Emrakul as if he had never been casted
[/quote]
Correct, but do realize the very instant Emrakul is cast, the triggered ability goes on the stack. Whether or not you exile Emrakul matters not on whether or not they get the extra turn or not.

[quote name='King of Nothing' timestamp='1313267335' post='5439950']
Deathtouch states that any amount of damage a creature with deathtouch deals is enough to destroy another. Is 0 enough? The situation -

Acidic Slime + Lure attacks. Opponent must block with 3 1/1 tokens. Acidic Slime deals 1 damage to two and 0 damage ot the other. Do they all die?
[/quote]
No, only 2 do. It's any non-zero amount.

[quote name='King of Nothing' timestamp='1313267335' post='5439950']
Deathtouch states that any amount of damage a creature with deathtouch deals is enough to destroy another. Is 0 enough? The situation -

Acidic Slime + Lure attacks. Opponent must block with 3 1/1 tokens. Acidic Slime deals 1 damage to two and 0 damage ot the other. Do they all die?
[/quote]

In MtG, 0 damage being dealt means damage isn't dealt at all.

I don't know if it falls here, but whatever:

I'm getting into IRL game, my budget is something like $50 tops. Seeing as rotation is soon and I want to play Standard, I will use only SOM, MBS, NPH and M12 cards. What's the most effective and cheap deck I can make out of that cardpool and budget?

[quote name='Noel Vermillion' timestamp='1313878665' post='5457687']
I don't know if it falls here, but whatever:

I'm getting into IRL game, my budget is something like $50 tops. Seeing as rotation is soon and I want to play Standard, I will use only SOM, MBS, NPH and M12 cards. What's the most effective and cheap deck I can make out of that cardpool and budget?
[/quote]

TBH You should wait till Innistrad see some play...Not to held you from playing the Game but entering into a new Block and Getting a Set rotating will break with the game standard....Mostly coz stuff like Fetchlands and Manlands rotating out...the loss of the base of LOTS of current GOOD.deks

AS for Money Issues...I guess Playing Pauper wil not be as bad as you may feel it...Maybe is your ideal format who knows...XD

[quote name='The suppression PLUTO' timestamp='1313884156' post='5457929']
TBH You should wait till Innistrad see some play...Not to held you from playing the Game but entering into a new Block and Getting a Set rotating will break with the game standard....Mostly coz stuff like Fetchlands and Manlands rotating out...the loss of the base of LOTS of current GOOD.deks
[/quote]
Well, true
[quote name='The suppression PLUTO' timestamp='1313884156' post='5457929']
AS for Money Issues...I guess Playing Pauper wil not be as bad as you may feel it...Maybe is your ideal format who knows...XD
[/quote]
I was considering Pauper, but no for 2 reasons:
1. My shop holds Pauper Extended formats, and I don't really feel like learning cards from older blocks
2. I'm not THAT poor XD

[quote name='The suppression PLUTO' timestamp='1313884770' post='5457960']
Extended Has 2 Blocks more than Standard and those are not THAT many cards...you lazy boy...XD
[/quote]
Lazy as hell :P But I might try Pauper for start...
[quote name='The suppression PLUTO' timestamp='1313884770' post='5457960']
OH BTW MUST PM YOU RIGHT NAO!!!!
[/quote]
y u no msn

• 2 weeks later...

Intro packs = about 13.00
Booster = about 4.00
Intro comes w/booster

Wait till Innistrad and buy two intros of your favorite color combination (The first color shown on the top is the main color) than spend the rest on packs. Intros really aren't that bad, and buying two can lead to a solid deck. For example, I made a great spider deck by buying two of the spider intro packs.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived