[MTG] Q&A

[quote name='Flame Dragon' timestamp='1350863916' post='6050216']
Neither happen. After you have the creature blocking, unless it has trample, you take 0 damage from it. This is because the creature is already treated as having been blocked. Also, if you do this to a creature with Lifelink they gain no life they gain no life since they the creature deal no damage (again, unless it has trample).
[/quote]

So my creature being exiled has no bearing on the combat whatsoever?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name='Jester Head' timestamp='1350923452' post='6050730']
So my creature being exiled has no bearing on the combat whatsoever?
[/quote]

Pretty much. The creature was blocked. The only difference is that your creature won't deal damage equal to its power to the opponent's creature.

[quote name='Mysty' timestamp='1350931965' post='6050825']
Pretty much. The creature was blocked. The only difference is that your creature won't deal damage equal to its power to the opponent's creature.
[/quote]

Thanks, where could I find the actual ruling to prove this?

[quote name='Jester Head' timestamp='1350956600' post='6051273']
Thanks, where could I find the actual ruling to prove this?
[/quote]
I can't find it atm, but I've seen the interaction done on MTG Online.

Edit: found it
Q: If all the creatures blocking a particular creature are somehow removed from combat, does that make the creature unblocked?
A: No. Once a creature becomes blocked, it stays blocked for the rest of combat, no matter what happens to the creatures blocking it.
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/26321709/&post_num=32#475385085

[quote name='Flame Dragon' timestamp='1350958975' post='6051308']
I can't find it atm, but I've seen the interaction done on MTG Online.

Edit: found it
Q: If all the creatures blocking a particular creature are somehow removed from combat, does that make the creature unblocked?
A: No. Once a creature becomes blocked, it stays blocked for the rest of combat, no matter what happens to the creatures blocking it.
[url="http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/26321709/&post_num=32#475385085"]http://community.wiz...um=32#475385085[/url]
[/quote]

Thank you very much sir~

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Black Scar' timestamp='1353010952' post='6070459']
At the time you use Ninjitsu, and the ninja enters the battlefield tapped and attacking, is it possible to pair it with an unbound, soul-bond creature? Or does it have to wait untill after damage.
[/quote]

Soulbond can trigger immediately when it enters the battlefield, before damage.

Alright figured I'd ask this here.
I control Izzet Staticaster. Use her tap effect. Opponent responds by using some card I don't remember but it basically would do 2 damage to Staticaster and destroy her.
Does she stll resolve?
*is trying to get off of yugimons logic but still unsure*

[quote name='Meta~' timestamp='1353012493' post='6070491']
Alright figured I'd ask this here.
I control Izzet Staticaster. Use her tap effect. Opponent responds by using some card I don't remember but it basically would do 2 damage to Staticaster and destroy her.
Does she stll resolve?
*is trying to get off of yugimons logic but still unsure*
[/quote]

She resolves.

Any effect, once activated, will resolve unless what it's trying to do becomes impossible or the effect becomes countered by a spell that specifically counters it.

e.g. If they did 2 damage to what Izzet Staticaster was trying to hit, killing that target, Staticaster's ability would fizzle and be countered. Doing 2 damage to Staticaster and killing her, however, does nothing to prevent her from resolving.

This probably seems like a stupid thing to ask, but does summoning sickness apply whenever a Creature enters play regardless where it comes from?

So blinking with Resoration Angel, or stuff being brought back from the grave ect? Since, we aren't great where I play, and this came up in a game yesterday but no one was sure.

Summoning Sickness refers to tapping the creature from its own ability or being an attacker regardless of where is comes into play from.
So, even if you blink it, it would still suffer from Summoning Sickness if it doesn't have haste.

Summoning Sickness refers to tapping the creature from its own ability or being an attacker regardless of where is comes into play from.
So, even if you blink it, it would still suffer from Summoning Sickness if it doesn't have haste.

• 1 month later...

He's right.

Your creature still deals 2 damage with every hit it makes, so you recover 2 life every time, regardless of what toughness it would leave what it's fighting at.

i.e. 2 damage to a 1 toughness creature yields 2 life. 2 damage to a 2 toughness creature yields 2 life. 2 damage to a 3 toughness creature yields 2 life.

[quote name='Borderline Unplayable' timestamp='1357021360' post='6107913']
He's right.

Your creature still deals 2 damage with every hit it makes, so you recover 2 life every time, regardless of what toughness it would leave what it's fighting at.

i.e. 2 damage to a 1 toughness creature yields 2 life. 2 damage to a 2 toughness creature yields 2 life. 2 damage to a 3 toughness creature yields 2 life.
[/quote]
To add to this, any damage the creature with Lifelink does will gain you life. So for example if you give it something that would let it tap to deal 1 damage you'll gain 1 life everytime you do that.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Miror~' timestamp='1357868331' post='6117676']
Can +1/+1 counters exist on a non-creature?
For an actual example, I use Golgari Keyrune, use it's ability to make it an artifact creature then Scavenge some counters onto it, do the counters go away when it returns to being a regular artifact?
[/quote]

i've been told that counters remain on a permanent because it's a permanent, not because it's a creature. so even if a keyrune stops being a creature, it's still a permanent with counters on it.

[quote name='Miror~' timestamp='1357868331' post='6117676']
Can +1/+1 counters exist on a non-creature?
For an actual example, I use Golgari Keyrune, use it's ability to make it an artifact creature then Scavenge some counters onto it, do the counters go away when it returns to being a regular artifact?
[/quote]
This card should answer the question
[img]http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/cards/17770.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Flame Dragon' timestamp='1357868810' post='6117684']
This card should answer the question
[img]http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/cards/17770.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
That would've raised the same question if I had ever seen it but I'll just take this post as a "yes"

[quote name='Miror~' timestamp='1357869605' post='6117692']
That would've raised the same question if I had ever seen it but I'll just take this post as a "yes"
[/quote]
Assuming this is a good design they wouldn't have used +1/+1 counters just to give him a boost for a turn.

But yes, +1/+1 counters can go on anything.

[quote name='Miror~' timestamp='1357870578' post='6117705']
I played yugioh most of my life I don't leave these things to logical assumptions XD
[/quote]
Yea, the card design in yugioh isn't the best. Trust me when I say that MTG works very hard to have things work the way you would expect them too.

[quote name='Coral Blue' timestamp='1357889465' post='6117909']
Does causing an effect loop cause you to lose?
[/quote]

If a loop contains nothing but mandatory effects, the game ends in a draw. In the case of optional loops that can be stopped at various points, like Splinter Twin combo, you may carry on as normal.

[quote name='.Rai' timestamp='1357889944' post='6117913']
If a loop contains nothing but mandatory effects, the game ends in a draw. In the case of optional loops that can be stopped at various points, like Splinter Twin combo, you may carry on as normal.
[/quote]

Alrighty, so the Myr infinite mana combo is legal. Thanks~

Archived