Divination vs Think Twice

sbdnate

Think Twice is an Instant, and has Flashback. While it ends up 3 mana more than Divination for same amount of cards, you can span the cost on different turns. Plus, if you end up having mana open at end of opponent's turn, you can use it to cycle Think Twice. Only a gain. And you can do that twice with 1 copy of Think Twice (lol). Think Twice is type of card called "mana sink", means a card with no ridiculously gamebraking effect, but still being a nice way to spend leftover mana.

Plus, there's still the fact that Divination is just bad IMO.

inb4Luis/FDcomehereandtellmeI'mwrong

[quote name='Noel Vermillion' timestamp='1318516849' post='5577346']
Think Twice is an Instant, and has Flashback. While it ends up 3 mana more than Divination for same amount of cards, you can span the cost on different turns. Plus, if you end up having mana open at end of opponent's turn, you can use it to cycle Think Twice. Only a gain. And you can do that twice with 1 copy of Think Twice (lol). Think Twice is type of card called "mana sink", means a card with no ridiculously gamebraking effect, but still being a nice way to spend leftover mana.

Plus, there's still the fact that Divination is just bad IMO.

inb4Luis/FDcomehereandtellmeI'mwrong
[/quote]

WTF you called my by my name Bartosz???

And as he explained...the thing that make Think Twice...Twice (lolpun) as useful is the fact that you don't have to spend the mana of your turn playing when at instant Speed it allows to keep some mana wide open to answer your opponent's moves...and if in the worst cases you'll have mana open that's will be wasted you can always spend it in this card making use of the remaining mana in you mana pool...

Being Flashbackable is also pretty good coz it assures you you can always discard it without fear coz you'll end up using the effect at least once anyways

XD

(Note that Think Twice is a Very Control type card)

[quote name='King of Nothing' timestamp='1319255008' post='5592885']

5 for 2 or 3 for 2

Last time I checked, 3 is less than 5.
[/quote]

But you play think twice on turn 2 (Using the Mana that otherwise would have been lost if not used)

Turn 2 > Turn 3

THAT is what makes Think Twice Better...it uses Spare Mana not conditioning WHEN you play it...and WHAT you can play the turn you play it...Divination Just Takes up the mana of your Turn that you could have used on better things....

[quote name='-Venser el Transeúnte-' timestamp='1319301129' post='5593557']

But you play think twice on turn 2 (Using the Mana that otherwise would have been lost if not used)

Turn 2 > Turn 3

THAT is what makes Think Twice Better...it uses Spare Mana not conditioning WHEN you play it...and WHAT you can play the turn you play it...Divination Just Takes up the mana of your Turn that you could have used on better things....
[/quote]

Except with divination, you don't have to lock 2 of your turns to get the 2 card draw. If its a matter of what's a faster drop, there's a free draw card out there that only costs 2 life, which would be better than both. Divination lets you draw 2 cards in one turn without locking up any of your turns. Drawing one card for 2 mana is an extremely weak ability with an expensive flashback cost.

[quote name='King of Nothing' timestamp='1319838584' post='5604980']
Except with divination, you don't have to lock 2 of your turns to get the 2 card draw. If its a matter of what's a faster drop, there's a free draw card out there that only costs 2 life, which would be better than both. Divination lets you draw 2 cards in one turn without locking up any of your turns. Drawing one card for 2 mana is an extremely weak ability with an expensive flashback cost.
[/quote]

Divination Locks up your turns...think twice doesn't

[quote name='-Venser el Transeúnte-' timestamp='1319846555' post='5605184']
Divination Locks up your turns...think twice doesn't
[/quote]

Turn 1 play a one drop
Turn 2 play a 2 drop
Turn 3 draw 2

Think Twice

Turn 1 play a one drop
Turn 2 draw a card
Turn 3 draw a card/Play a 3 drop

Kinda the same, and I'd still rather draw 'em both in a turn

[quote name='King of Nothing' timestamp='1319873499' post='5605751']
Turn 1 play a one drop
Turn 2 play a 2 drop
Turn 3 draw 2

Think Twice

Turn 1 play a one drop
Turn 2 Mana Leak your opponent's turn 2 drop or draw a card
Turn 3 Play a 3 drop

Draw the other card later

Kinda the same, and I'd still rather draw 'em both in a turn
[/quote]

If you use think twice on your turn you are seriously doing it wrong and you don't deserve to be playing blue

[quote name='-Venser el Transeúnte-' timestamp='1319944033' post='5607117']
It Does...mostly counters and other disruptions...that's why you want to keep the mana open in your opponent's turns...that's why spending mana in yours is...subpar...
[/quote]

But if you're going to spend two mana it'd be better to use it on a counter spell or something. If they don't do anything than yeah draw a card, but I still see Divination as a better draw card

Gitaxian Probe is better than both of them so I guess it doesn't really matter either way lol

[quote name='King of Nothing' timestamp='1319944398' post='5607125']
But if you're going to spend two mana it'd be better to use it on a counter spell or something. If they don't do anything than yeah draw a card, but I still see Divination as a better draw card

Gitaxian Probe is better than both of them so I guess it doesn't really matter either way lol
[/quote]
That's the things, as an instant you can do both. If your opponent doesn't play something you care about, Think. If they do Leak. The fact that you leave the mana up for it means you can do both and can throw your opponent off. As soon as a control deck taps out the opponent will make there big play, so doing so just to draw some cards isn't good. I've seen this first hand when I played against a U/B control deck with Tempered Steel since I had to play around Leak for most of the game until they tapped out.

[quote name='Flame Dragon' timestamp='1319956562' post='5607261']
That's the things, as an instant you can do both. If your opponent doesn't play something you care about, Think. If they do Leak. The fact that you leave the mana up for it means you can do both and can throw your opponent off. As soon as a control deck taps out the opponent will make there big play, so doing so just to draw some cards isn't good. I've seen this first hand when I played against a U/B control deck with Tempered Steel since I had to play around Leak for most of the game until they tapped out.
[/quote]

But you're only getting a draw one out of it. With Gitaxian Probe, your mana would still be open for a mana leak and you'd get your draw at only two life. I'm ignoring the flashback cost because that's...kinda expensive (I know flashback is supposed to be)

I just can't help but feel that this should've costed U with a flashback of 3U

[quote name='King of Nothing' timestamp='1320289493' post='5614200']
But you're only getting a draw one out of it. With Gitaxian Probe, your mana would still be open for a mana leak and you'd get your draw at only two life. I'm ignoring the flashback cost because that's...kinda expensive (I know flashback is supposed to be)

I just can't help but feel that this should've costed U with a flashback of 3U
[/quote]
No, you get to draw two, just you pay for it at differenet points. And again, being an instant really is that huge.

And again, flashback on instants can be as high as they want to make in a control deck since they leave large sums of mana open at most times in the game.

Archived