Siding and the side deck

being a magic player, I take side decking on a different plan, your side deck is part of your main deck while your creating it, by doing this, your main deck and side deck mesh extremely well.
playing staple/ limited cards in side isn't a bad idea, but you lose some of your deck's speed by doing so.
to give an example, I, if you know me it should be obvious, run spellcasters. but the deck you can make with them is a very flexible thing,
I main citadel mostly, but when I run into a deck that ether runs it's own field spell, or does seem to care about the bank, for whatever reason that may be, I have a set of village in my side, but sometimes, I still leave a citadel in the deck, or I started with a village already in the deck, because that's how I plan my deck, as a whole with the side.

[quote name='werewolfjedi' timestamp='1321900843' post='5657142']
being a magic player, I take side decking on a different plan, your side deck is part of your main deck while your creating it, by doing this, your main deck and side deck mesh extremely well.
playing staple/ limited cards in side isn't a bad idea, but you lose some of your deck's speed by doing so.
to give an example, I, if you know me it should be obvious, run spellcasters. but the deck you can make with them is a very flexible thing,
I main citadel mostly, but when I run into a deck that ether runs it's own field spell, or does seem to care about the bank, for whatever reason that may be, I have a set of village in my side, but sometimes, I still leave a citadel in the deck, or I started with a village already in the deck, because that's how I plan my deck, as a whole with the side.
[/quote]

Too bad that MtG siding is a little different to YGO siding. MtG decks are infinitely more generic simply because that YGO has that many more defining deck types. Tier 1 in Magic fuses into Tier 2 quite a lot, and the 15 card sideboard is pretty hard to cover all of it. So you just run cards for a generic style match-up.

And Spellcasters are interesting, because they can switch amazingly between Swarm and Control..

You should never have a set formula for a side deck .The best way to side deck is to first figure out your bad matchups. Then, you want to find out WHY those matchups are bad. Next, you should think of cards that will be effective in helping mitigate the weaknesses in said matchup. Then you play against your bad match up and test your side cards. Figure out if they work or not, and rework your side to better your match up. Do this until you are satisfied with how your deck plays post side board.

I always make sure I know what to side out against every match up, and what to side in. I make sure I dont waste spots by putting in cards that I have a tough time fitting in post side decking. For example, if I have 7 cards for the agent match up, and I only can figure out 6 cards that I dont like in there, I try to reduce the side deck dedication by one.

Another good thing to do is to have a few cards in your side that are able to take care of multiple matches. For example, I side in Debunk and Gozen Match in more than one match up, as well as forbidden lance and D-Fissure.

[quote name='Cursed Reaction' timestamp='1321901101' post='5657151']
Too bad that MtG siding is a little different to YGO siding. MtG decks are infinitely more generic simply because that YGO has that many more defining deck types. Tier 1 in Magic fuses into Tier 2 quite a lot, and the 15 card sideboard is pretty hard to cover all of it. So you just run cards for a generic style match-up.

And Spellcasters are interesting, because they can switch amazingly between Swarm and Control..
[/quote]

and that's why I play them, I can work both angles at once, without overextending.
though the spirit of kycoo is a dick, he refuses to come and when I need him he is no where to be found even ran at 3

I have 2 Puppet Plants, 1 Leeching the Light, and the rest is stuff that counters what my opponent sides against me. Siding is easier when you play the same 15-20 people all the time and they run the same decktype for months. I know at least half the side deck of all of them is against me, as I run Macro and they need their graves...

Archived