Character Deck Tournament [FINISHED]

I've learned a very good lesson about how to build an extra deck with my attempt to play Yusei, considering all of my synchros except for 3 were even level, but none of my tuners except for Debris Dragon were even leveled.

Anyways, with my loss the tournament is over. I will be definitely fixing the rules for the next tournament, as well as making it so that people will post their screenshots, since everyone knows their character anyways.

If anyone has any suggestions for the next tournament, or would like to discuss it now that it's over with, please do so now.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dwarven King, do you even know what Berserker Soul is? It's an anime-only card.

So, this is what I'm thinking for the next tournament. Changes bolded.

[spoiler="Stuff"]

The rules:

- Using the official March banlist

- Single Elimination? (What do you guys think about double elimination?)

- There are a total of 12 spots available (If double elimination, 8 spots)

- Up to 2 people can pick each character, to be fair. The second will be considered an evil/good counterpart by name only.

- At least 20 of your cards must be cards your character has played, including copies, in their Main Deck from the anime or manga. Some characters are exceptions.

- You must use your character's "ace card" (to be specified for each character)?

- Please stick to a character theme as closely as possible. It is okay to have secondary engines, but the other cards in your deck should not operate exclusively without your character cards. [Example: I shouldn't get the feeling that your Yugi deck is based more around Propechies, or that your Jack deck is based around Lavals. It's okay to use things like Temperance and Rekindling, but they should not be your deck's focus or function solely without your character cards. If I feel you have violated this, I will ask you to fix it.]

- MST, Heavy Storm, Dark Hole, Monster Reborn, Limiter Removal, Black Luster Soldier – Envoy of the End, and Exodia are excluded from counting as "character cards".

- Your side deck may contain a maximum of 5 cards your character has not used. (You can now use 15 cards in your side)

- Your Extra Deck may include only ONE card not in your character's Extra Deck.

- Please post the end results of your matches in the form of screenshots. It is not required, but it makes the tournament more fun for everyone else.

Characters:

Yugi Muto

Seto Kaiba

Maximillion Pegasus

Joey Wheeler (Only need 15)

Marik Ishtar

Bakura (Only need 15)

Mai Valentine (Only need 15) 

Chazz Princeton

Zane Truesdale

Syrus Truesdale

Velian Crowler

Adrian Gecko

Jack Atlas

Akiza Izinski

Tetsu Trudge (Only need 15)

[/spoiler]

My reasoning is that I am going to allow rank 5's and above, but I do not want them to become the focus of the deck, which could happen in the case of Mai.

Also, what do you guys think of Gauche/Nistro being a playable character? I am very much on the fence about it.

I don't really see how with only 2 slots. Maybe 3 would make it so you could center but 2 is nothing. You would have to play a character who hasn't played an extra deck to understand just how little of an impact 2 extra deck monsters can have.

Well, I'd like more people's opinions before I continue, if possible. Other than that, what are your thoughts on everything else? Any characters I could add? I know for sure I don't want to add any ZeXal characters other than possibly the one I mentioned, and anyone who doesn't have at least 8 DIFFERENT cards people can actually play is outright impossible.

Problem with Crow and Carly is that those can actually be made into viable decks based solely upon an archetype, and I don't like that for a tournament like this. At least in the case of Crowler it's a not-so-strong archetype that also forces you to use some less than conventional tactics.

Serenity and Mokuba don't have enough cards. Leo falls under the same category as Crow and Carly, though maybe Luna could work... though underpowered.

Archived