[Leaderboard] Zextra vs Aix

Zextra

Rules:

• 1st card to 3 votes first wins, or that has the most votes by 11:59 PST on May 27th.

• Votes must be supported by valid reasoning - in this case, some examples of things to judge on are: how well the cards support the Archetype, whether of not the cards help boost the Archetype, how much the Archetype needs support, etc.

• Please only vote if you're fully familiar with each Archetype.

Requirements:

I want to try a different kind of requirement this time:

Make 2-3 cards that support an under-supported Archetype (can be TCG or Anime/Manga).

Prize:

1 Rep/Like

Voter Bonus:

Each successful vote earns the user a rep!

Scoreboard:

Aix's Cards: 2

Zextra's Cards: 2

Aix's Cards

Archetype Supported = Gustos: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gusto

Gael, Tactician of Gusto

[WIND/Level 3/Psychic/Effect]

Cannot be Special Summoned during the Battle Phase. Once per turn: You can discard 1 card; increase or decrease the Level of 1 "Gusto" monster you control by 1. When this card is destroyed by battle: You can banish it. If this card is banished: You can Special Summon 1 "Gusto" monster from your Deck or Graveyard in face-down Defense Position. This effect of "Gael, Tactician of Gusto" can only be activated once per turn.

ATK/ 1600 DEF/ 100

Daigusto Commander

[WIND/Level 7/Psychic/Synchro/Effect]

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

This card cannot be targeted for attacks while you control a Set monster. Set monsters you control are unaffected by other card effects. You can destroy 1 "Gusto" monster you control or in your hand and 1 card your opponent controls. This effect of "Daigusto Commander" can only be activated once per turn. You cannot attack directly the turn you activate this effect.

ATK/ 2600 DEF/ 1100

Zextra's Cards

Archetype Supported = Clear: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Clear

clearethereus.png
Effect:
You are unaffected by the effects of “Clear World”. When this card is Normal Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower “Clear” monster from your Graveyard. It cannot activate its effects. During your Main Phase: You can Tribute this card; add 1 “Clear” monster from your Deck to your hand.

clearwrathkaiser.png
Effect:
You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by banishing 1 “Clear” monster from your hand. You are unaffected by the effects of “Clear World”. During either player’s turn, when your opponent Summons a monster: You can declare 1 Attribute. The Summoned monster’s Attribute becomes the declared Attribute. When this card is destroyed by your opponent (by battle or by a card effect): You can Special Summon 1 of your banished “Clear” monsters.

clearlustdragon.png
Effect:
2 Level 4 DARK monsters
You are unaffected by the effects of “Clear World”. This card gains 1000 ATK for each “Clear” monster you control. While this card has Xyz Materials: This card cannot be destroyed by battle or by effects that target it. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card and declare 1 Attribute. Negate the effects of all monsters with the declared Attribute your opponent controls. When a monster you control destroys a monster with the declared Attribute by battle: Double all Battle Damage involved.

Both seem like pretty nice support, though I don't really think that the Clear support really would help it become good. There's only 1 Level 4 Clear monster besides the one you made. I also don't like how Kaiser can banish another revive itself from the Banished Zone, and since you can banish one of them from the hand, that become quite annoying. Also, a Macro version could keep on reviving itself over and over again. It doesn't really go all that well with how your Level 4 works, so you probably wouldn't want to do that, but it's still an unbalacing factor in their design. The Gusto support on the other hand is quite nice, it both stops any abuse you might see while still keeping it useful, and it's interesting that you're playing with the banishing and face-down aspects of the archetype, which is neat. I can both see become nice support, though because of the difficulty of getting the Xyz out (I would have picked to do either DARK monsters or something else, rather than restricting it to the Archetype) and how you can abuse the Level 7, I'll have to go with the Gusto support.

Both sides have made some good support here. Gael can make some good combos, and and Commander obviously supports Gael, but can also take advantage of other cards such asGriffin, which is a nice plus.

On the other hand, the Clear cards work perfectly with the existing archetype cards. Clear Ethereus adds to the very limited Level 4 cardpool for the archetype. Kaiser allows you to manipulate Clear World's effect towards your opponent, and allows the easy summoning of a Clear Vice Dragon. and Lust Dragon makes a good alternative boss to Clear Vice.

so I guess for me the deciding factor is which archetype needs the support more. While Gustos aren't exactly top-tier, they have a fair amount of support. Clear, on the other hand, has practically nothing, so Zextra's cards seem too be more needed. My vote is for the Clears.

My problem with Zextra's cards is that the Xyz Monster currently has all of one material to make it with (in multiples, but still), which makes it rather cramped. Both are good support, but mainly due to that, I'll vote for Aix.

I take it that you read the effect rather than the actual card; that was my mistake; the actual card says 2 DARKs.

Thanks for your votes!

I'm voting Zex.
While I like all the cards in this contest, and they can each equally support things to a decent level, BUT I'm just going to nitpick something real fast.
For the Gustos, see, it's like this. Gusto monsters have an established name for them, in the sense that they have a Winged-Beast Tuner and Psychic non-Tuner that can become their matching Synchro.
While it's implied that Tactician becomes Commander, it honestly does not. Part of this is the fact that Gael has no matching Tuner for himself, and even if he did, the Synchros name would be the same name as the bird, but with an added "o" at the end.
Yes, it's a silly little detail, but for something like this it's actually vital.
(Sphreeze doesn't count, as it's only for the Duel Terminal story)

I'm voting Zex.
While I like all the cards in this contest, and they can each equally support things to a decent level, BUT I'm just going to nitpick something real fast.
For the Gustos, see, it's like this. Gusto monsters have an established name for them, in the sense that they have a Winged-Beast Tuner and Psychic non-Tuner that can become their matching Synchro.
While it's implied that Tactician becomes Commander, it honestly does not. Part of this is the fact that Gael has no matching Tuner for himself, and even if he did, the Synchros name would be the same name as the bird, but with an added "o" at the end.
Yes, it's a silly little detail, but for something like this it's actually vital.
(Sphreeze doesn't count, as it's only for the Duel Terminal story)

If I drew a picture of it, it would be a grown up Gael or Gael with armor (who I imagine as a shota-type character) with all the little Gustos flying around him :o New exception to go with Sphreeze.

I guess I'm going to call this. Both are very good, so I'm having problems deciding between the two. I would call this a draw, though the Clear support is more needed than the Gusto support. With that said, I'm going to call this in favor in Zextra. Like I said, I would have called this a draw if Clear wasn't in desperate need of support.

2-3 Zextra

Archived