The Grand Crossover RP - Pathway to Origin [IC/PG-13/Moved to NCM for Finale]

Merci

As the warriors entered the broken clock within the tree, a story entered their minds from an unknown source.

A story about the multiverse.

The multiverse is undoubtedly filled with endless possibilities of realities, from which stories can be told and the imagination can be made realized. However, no matter how vast or immense that story is, it is incapable of affecting other stories.

Even the greatest of paths only go so far. One can build and detonate a Reality Bomb, destroying an incomprehensible number of worlds, both alternates and other continuities. One can attain the Heart of Creation, enabling the generation of countless new galaxies in one’s own image. One can even seize the Throne of Heroes for a time, cursing endless universes to damnation. However, no matter how far they reach out, the truth will remain that a considerable more universes shall continue to exist elsewhere, untouched.

And yet, there are whispers. Of a SOMETHING that is truly unique, that can reach towards infinity and change one’s understanding of anything and everything. That can grant wishes beyond all certainty.

It was inevitable that these whispers would be noticed. Special and powerful individuals, who arose from a realm filled with unlimited possibilities, began to suspect its existence. Each and every one a traveller of spacetime with their own unique abilities, opted to vigorously pursue them for whatever reason. They would scavenge entire universes across millennia and eons, gaining information from those who possessed it via their own methods; be it good or evil, lawful or chaotic, whatever it took. Along their search, they came across each other. Without giving each other their real names, they merely confirmed to each other that their outlandish beliefs about this SOMETHING were not so crazy after all. Slowly but surely began to learn about this fabled SOMETHING, sharing information with each other along the way. Some were heroic, some were logical, and some were completely and utterly omnicidal. This most unlikely band of Omnis ultimately ended up creating what was to be known as the Dreams of Action and Truth Evangelist Association - DATEA for short. The twenty-four members called themselves Dreamers.

Because they'd all been desperate to reach the end, no matter how long it took, they had worked together for the exact same goal. And after an eternity of progress, they had found it at last. The Door of Origin.

And in order to access it, they pooled all of their resources and ingenuity to forge the Key of Origin. An artifact that was so powerful in its own right that they used it to power their headquarters, build a mindless crimson civilization to do their bidding, and even capture a monster god of darkness for their own purposes.

All that was left was to bridge the gap...and then all of creation would be at their fingertips. However, a new question arose.

Who would use it? Everyone who'd cooperated with each other to reach the end had their own ulterior motives, their own reasons for why they wanted to do so, and there was no single individual more worthy of it than the others. The Dreamers found themselves bickering.

Alpha believed that, as the founder of DATEA, he had some sort of special right to access the Door. However, others had their own desires. Chi wanted to cure all mental illnesses in existence. Sigma wanted to eliminate all organic life from existence. Omicron wanted to convert all life into beings of pure energy. Phi wanted a universe where everything was perfectly shaped, with perfectly structured civilizations living in perfect symmetry. Some wanted to become gods; Lambda in particular wanted to create an entirely new cluster of universes, with innumerable monsters of his design that could potentially live in harmony with humanity. More than several of them only wanted to use it to make things better in their homeworlds. As for Omega... His wish was the simplest of them all. A wish that anyone could guess.

Finally, one member - who had really only been in it to get rich off the others' fortunes - suggested a compromise. When they formed the bridge between their reality and the Door, using their utmost prowess, there would be three trials that they would have to complete: Remembrance, Truth, and Death. The trials would adjust themselves for each individual so that they would be as difficult as possible for whoever entered, and whoever made it to the end had to be worthy. Everyone considered Delta's proposal, and reluctantly decided to accept - all of them so assured in their own superiority that they couldn't comprehend that anyone other than themselves may be worthy.

With enthusiasm, they started conducting their experiments to establish a concrete connection with the Door. Then, in the resultant blast, nearly all of the Dreamers as well as everything they'd built ended up inexplicably wiped out of existence.

And all that remained was a lone, measly desert, lost in the midst of space.

Hence, the Dreamers of DATEA are no more.

In their place are the Counter Corps and the Divine, fighting as hard as they can to reach the Door of Origin. The warriors from lost homes, who have triumphed over their fears, their doubts, and their regrets with every ounce of their strength and more. The characters of this Grand Crossover Roleplay, who have tried so,

so,

SO

hard to get to this one point that seems to just over the horizon yet still manage to be so,

so,

SO

goddamned far away.

Close enough that it felt as though they could reach out their hands and attain victory, yet fall just short of it every single time.

Not this time.

Hello.

Welcome to the final destination.

As the various characters materialized upon entering the tree’s portal, they found themselves in a new location. A massive area vaster than a ballroom, stretching far outwards.

The Hallway of Origin

~ Bravely Default - Land of Immortality ~

PslgTbh.jpg?1

Somehow, simply existing within this location instilled a sense of peace within everyone present, almost tempting them to simply lie down and take a nap. The floor was of a strange primal material, constantly moving about with ripples and waves in a manner that felt quite like standing on top of a physical, still ocean. Beyond all of this, intensely bright light bathed the entire location, as if attempting to consume it. The only things that stood in the way of this light were two floating walls of 'plates' that served a mysterious purpose, lining upwards to a suspended white ceiling.

All of the countless mysterious plates seemed ordinary at first, blank and immobile, but there seemed to be a certain energy contained in each of them; somehow, each plate contained its very own energy signature, and not only were they unique, but they were familiar. As the characters made their way through, they would feel a strange sensation deep within, drawing them towards one very specific plate.

Then, upon approaching it, the plate would detach from the wall to greet them. The plate's surface would fade away, and its contents would reveal itself to the beholder, unable to be seen by anyone else.

And within was...

For about half of them, it would be an image. For the other half, it would only be a description, a string of words matching their appearance. Beneath this frame, the plate would extend downwards; on it words permanently being etched on it by a mysterious force. Forming ‘Name’, then ‘Age’, then ‘Gender’, then 'Appearance', then an unusual 'Origin', then ‘Biography’, then ‘Personality', then 'Faction', then 'Important Artifact Stolen', and finally 'Powers/Equipment'. Each section containing a whole load of information about them; some short and brief, others incredibly long.

For some characters who had gone through especially dramatic changes over the course of the Origin War, upon the viewing of their current ‘application’, they may feel drawn towards other frames, containing the ‘application’ of their previous selves. Meanwhile, for the deceased and the lost, their plates did not respond to anyone’s presence - however, those who were close to them in life would find that they were capable of finding these plates, and upon contact, they too would reveal their application contents. The only difference being a violent line struck across their name.

They may not have been too accurate or even up-to-date, but without a doubt each plate somehow contained relevant data that summarized their corresponding individual in a very concise and core manner. Though they had no method of realizing it themselves, these were the latest of the so-called ‘applications’ that had been submitted for them by greater entities, almost like a godlike version of a CV. Had people been keeping tabs on them the whole Origin War, tracking their every trait – or was there something greater power at work here?

The end of the hallway shone as brightly as the sun, making it nearly impossible to see what lay beyond. Of course needless to say, what lay beyond ought to have been obvious. Their endgoal, the very reason that they had come to this place.

The end of the Pathway to Origin.

And it was quite clear that there was almost nothing left in their way to stop them from simply charging forth with the Key to victory... Almost.

~Arturia Pendragon~

Hallway of Origin (by exit)

Having been the first to enter, Arturia was already standing right before the end in her white regalia, positioned a hundred meters onwards. There were two golden plates in her hand, and she was inspecting them with a fair amount of intrigue. One read 'Arthuria', and showed information of her former status as an official Counter Guardian. The other read 'Arturia' and described, well, a somewhat less flattering version of what she was currently capable of.

Appearing to be awaiting the others' arrival with much patience, she would idly glance back as the others arrived one by one. Her sword Excalibur was unsheathed in her other hand.

At that very moment...he realized that they have arrived

aN anOMalY shOWEd itselffffffA plate cracked. The cracks spread, ever so slightly, from one tick to the next. Ever so slightly at first, barely noticeable by anyone, but after a pause it shattered into pieces. Arturia immediately turned around, her calm posture switching to confusion - from out of the plate emerged an individual no one could have expected.

A man wearing attire of black and white, with feminine long black hair bristling from behind and clad in a formal suit with a sheathe attached to the waist. This individual gently handed onto the floor without much of a fuss. Possessing incredible power and spiritual capacity, projecting utmost confidence despite being in the midst of highly powerful warriors, and yet blending in with the calm aura of the room, there seemed to be nothing threatening about him. If anything, he seemed rather content simply standing in a corner, not particularly interested in the others.

To some, he may have been an unfamiliar figure, a new face.

And yet to others, he ought to have been very familiar.

BYAKUYA KUCHIKI.

-Byakuya-kuchiki-byakuya-34793347-300-42

“...?!”

Arturia pivoted around suddenly as she heard the shattering sound - and her attention fixated on the man with extreme caution. Even though she hadn’t been present during the Counter Corps’ first campaign, she recognized the man immediately. Letting go of her plates - letting them float in midair - she gripped Excalibur with both hands tightly, prepared for an intense battle at any given moment. How could it be that he was here, now? Even though his aura felt so ordinary, so much like an ordinary Shinigami, these very circumstances were far too strange for him to be real! After all, he was a former Counter Corps member. Deceased. Long deceased, having perished in the darkness when it collapsed.

“Who… No, what are you?” She asked warily.

He mused silently over Arturia. With his usual monotone and impossibly calm demeanor, he answered.

“I am Byakuya of the Kuchiki House. Captain of the Sixth Division of the Gotei Thirteen. Shinigami, and guide of the Hallway of Origin.”

She watched him for a moment.

“A guide to the Hallway… I assume that makes you a summoned wraith of some sort. Just like the many creatures of the Pathways.” Despite acknowledging this, she only narrowed her eyes further, and then advanced a step towards him in warning. “Byakuya died in the Shadow Realm... Emiya failed to save him from its collapse. Why, of all the people, would a guide take his?”

“It is a simple matter, I assure you. Of the members of the Counter Corps, I alone am the most capable of taking on a task of this scale. I was chosen by the Hallway to ease the burden of passage, and assist those who are worthy of traveling the Hallway to Origin.”

Arturia nodded at this, appearing to accept this logic. “I see - you are a familiar face with capable abilities. That does make sense, and thus far, there is no reason for me not to believe you. Very well. And, do tell, what is your purpose here?”

He took a deep breath, and slowly exhaled. “I have served a Counter Guardian before you. I have served Emiya. Now, constructed in this place, I serve a new Lord. We seek to establish balance. Such is the purpose of the Key.”

She listened with a mixture of interest and caution, and for half a second wondered what this ‘Lord’ was before deciding it ultimately didn’t matter. At this point, she seemed to have mostly accepted what his role was. Yet, despite this, still maintained her battle stance towards him, appearing to be in thought. Before continuing with a sly smile. “Hmm... Is that so. Regardless, what reason is there to trust you? No… Rather, I see no place for a guide at such a late point in the Origin War, when the Door is literally right there.” A brief point towards the shining light at the end with her sword. “What is stopping me from obliterating you right this instant, Byakuya of the Kuchiki House?”

Byakuya’s face did not change. “There are many things that the Hallway has revealed to me,” he began. “Your deceit with the Counter Corps is the most troubling. Are they aware of what you intend to do? Are they aware of your actions? Can you be trusted?”

Then, her stance faltered. Slightly. Not enough to be significant, to be visible, but just the slightest bit. Her expression remained ice cold, neither denying nor confirming it.

She finally said, “...I know naught of what you talk about. What an awfully strange guide you are.”

Even so, her blade finally withdrew, and she took a step back in much thought, understanding that now was not an ideal time to advance with the campaign.

“You appear harmless, so I suppose there is no reason for combat, is there now.” Behind her back, she glanced once more at the new arrivals, and then back at the man. “So what will you do now?”

Byakuya nodded. “I have no intention in harming you, or those who walk this path. Come. Let us find an agreeable solution.” He gestured to those who were entering the Hallway, with an open palm.

She watched it for a silent few seconds. Not once did she even consider it - she was merely somewhat annoyed, scorning this opportunity, pondering on how she should provide her response.

“I do appreciate the offer… Alas, there will be no compromise here.If you worked under Emiya, no matter how short, you must understand. It is the duty of a Counter Guardian to decide what is best for everyone.” She told him, in an almost sorrowful tone. Closing her eyes, relaxing her posture, she said, “I shall give them some time, and then tell them myself. Do your normal duty - but there is no need to interfere until then.”

Then Arturia Pendragon turned her back to the wraith and took a step back, watching the others continue to arrive. As they were a fair distance away from the entrance, it was unlikely that most if anyone had heard their conversation. Channelling magic into her lungs, she spoke outwards;

"WELCOME. This is the Hallway of Origin. The end of the beginning. It has been a long journey, Counter Corps... But we have finally made it." The woman spoke with an amplified voice once enough people had arrived, taking special care to fire a brief yet thoughtful look at Gemini. Her tone now sounded, rather than triumphant, resigned.

"Before we conclude this awfully long three-day Origin War, let us take the time to rest...and reflect. A man is apparently present to help with any questions you may have." Then she moved her gaze away from her warriors, to the others. "And as for the rest of you stragglers... Don't stir trouble and I just may tolerate your presence here, understand?"

Finally, she rested a long, thoughtful gaze upon Yukari, the Border of Phantasm, before turning away, her body shrouded in light as it was positioned right at the end of the hallway. Her back towards everyone, it became clear that she was not interested in any further conversation with anyone. There was also the strangest feeling that...somehow, her aura was exuding so much strength that passing by her did not seem to be an option.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kenpachi and Yachiru; Kratos and Revy

"WELCOME. This is the Hallway of Origin. The end of the beginning. It has been a long journey, Counter Corps... But we have finally made it." 

It was incredibly bright, when Kenpachi and Yachiru arrived.  They shielded their eyes until their vision adjusted, and the pathway came into view.  They were surrounded by innumerable golden plates, and a gleaming sunlight that danced off of the luxurious metal.  Kenpachi whistled aloud, as he looked down the pathway.  "Someone had a lot of time on their hands," he mused.

"Kenny.  Look," Yachiru whispered into Kenpachi's ear, from his right shoulder.  She grabbed the sides of his head and directed him to the man in the distance.  

"No way," Kenpachi mumbled.  He slowly took a few steps forward, shocked and in disbelief at what he was seeing.  Whom he was seeing.  "Kuchiki?" he asked to no one in particular.  He pushed past Kratos and Revy, who stood watching silently, as the large man sprinted full speed towards Byakuya.  Kratos looked on at the man he had killed, his free hand balled tightly.

Kenpachi landed squarely in front of Byakuya, his eyes darting every which way as he carefully observed the Soul Reaper.  "Kuchiki.  How--"

Byakuya smiled.  It was genuine, and rare.  "Head Captain," he said as he looked into his former leader's face.  "Ms. Kusajishi."  Byakuya greeted Yachiru with the same smile.  

"Kuchikii," she began.  "But. . . you--you died," she said at last.  

Byakuya nodded.  "I am but a part of the pathway now.  The purpose for my reincarnation is to serve as a guide, to those who are worthy."

Kenpachi sighed, as he wondered if his mind was playing tricks on him.  But as he extended a hand to Byakuya, it was accepted.  "Well, damn.  You're really here.  But how do ya have your memories?" Kenpachi asked.

Byakuya let go of Kenpachi's hand.  "Unfortunately, I did not retain all of my memories.  The pathway chose me because I was capable of performing the duties I've been presented.  The condition of my presence is that I fulfill my role.  I don't need my memories to do that."

Kenpachi grunted.  "I'm just glad ya remember me.  Remember us.  But does that mean ya forgot about--"

"No, Head Captain.  I've not forgotten about the bald warrior behind you.  He was quite the opponent.  But I am not here to seek revenge upon him.  I am but a guide."

"So I guess then, you won't be havin' any sake with us after this is all over, will ya?" Kenpachi said with a forced smile.

Byakuya shook his head.  "I'm afraid not.  But please, take all the time that you need here.  I will be able to answer most questions you may have."

"It's good to see ya again, Kuchiki."

Byakuya nodded.  "And you as well, Head Captain."

Kratos waited until Kenpachi and Byakuya had finished their discussion, before he made his move.  Revy tugged at his hand, as she felt the tension in Kratos' body increase.  "What's wrong?" she asked.

"That man.  I slayed him, in a grueling battle.  Yet, he lives.  What sorcery is this?" Kratos replied.

"You guys had a big fight, huh?  I'm glad you won.  But if you want answers, you're gonna have to ask him yourself."

Kratos nodded.  "I will.  Even if I have to fight him again."

With Revy in tow, Kratos slowly, hesitantly, made his way to Byakuya.  He was prepared for another battle, because he remembered what this man stood for.  What they both stood for.  Kratos clenched his fist, and stood before Byakuya, on guard.  "Warrior of petals," Kratos said.

Byakuya nodded.  "Does my death haunt you, Kratos?"

"No.  Your presence haunts me, now.  Do you still serve the wrong master?" Kratos continued.

"No.  I serve a new lord now.  The pathway.  Rest easy, Kratos.  I assure you, I mean you no harm.  All is forgiven."

Kratos wasn't satisfied with that answer.  He stomped a foot down, causing Revy to flinch.  "You died!  For nothing!  Why do you return as a slave to the pathways!?  You were a warrior!  Not a puppet!"

Byakuya shook his head.  "To every man, there is a cause that he would gladly die for.  I've fulfilled that, Kratos.  Will you?"

Kratos took a step back, staring Byakuya down.  "Perhaps.  But what cause do you fight for?"

Byakuya nodded.  "The righteous one."

Nero - Keyblade War Master / The X-Blade's Wielder ~ Hallway to Origin

"WELCOME. This is the Hallway of Origin. The end of the beginning. It has been a long journey, Counter Corps... But we have finally made it."

Nero looked around the new location he found himself...the Hallway to Origin. It was a strange place, but at the moment, nothing out of the ordinary for him at this point, but this place seemed to have an abundance of light within it...it was a warm light.

However, while others were gathering around an individual who addressed himself to a few as the "guide" within this hallway, Nero was compelled to go towards one of the two residing walls of gold plates. At first, Nero saw that these countless golden plates were blank and without any point to them, in a sense. However, as the Keyblade Master approached one, it seemed to spring to life. The plate Nero approached moved and greeted him.

"W-What in the world?!" Nero muttered, watching the plate almost shed its surface, only to reveal what seemed to be like an profile of him. An image and even specifics on his history, although some seemed to be incorrect to an extent. "Why...why would something like this be here?" he asked, before noticing something: Stolen Artifact...the X-Blade. He only slowly nodded his head before sighing. "But I have it now..." Nero muttered, before feeling another drawing.

He slowly turned and moved towards another plate, it springing to life as well and revealing a newer version of what he just saw. This one, however, showed everything within a updated fashion. This one mentioned the evil of Xansvita and Ivero...and his reclaiming of the X-Blade and even his own Keyblade, Divine Remnant. They felt...chronicled... But who was there to witness these events?

Who did all these? Nero thought, before slowly backing away from these two plates. He turned his head and felt drawn to another plate. However...it wasn't his. No..it belonged to one of his allies: Matthew Supplex. "Matthew..." he slowly muttered, before looking through his allies' plate, with the only difference being a huge line crossed through his name. Along with Matthew's information, he even noticed that Odin was a summon... "Yeah...that's right. Odin was one of your summons...wasn't he?" he asked, chuckling lightly before feeling a tear falling down the side of his face. "Thank you again...Matthew...Odin...you along with Sora and the others saved me from Ivero..." Nero wiped the tear from his face and just simply bowed slightly at the gold plate of his ally.

Team Dorian: The Hallway of Origin

It seemed like forever while they were in transition to what was the other side of this...whatever this was. Dorian, Butlerok and Rhadamanthys walked out onto what was this shaky and seemingly endless hallway. Dorian stretched his arms out like he was waking up from a good nap. The hallway was rather pristine and it looked like there was someone already here. 

As Dorian naturally stepped forward first Butlerok grabbed his shoulder and stopped him from proceeding. Butlerok knew the figure standing next to the Arthuria. It was that same figure from a long time ago. He met that man in combat in the first stage of the this adventure before he was bonded and became a Kishin. He met that man again in the third stage where he tried to eat the beast but that annoying pest Sayer got in the way. That was the shinigami known as Byakuya Kuchiki, but how was he here? If memory served he should've been killed by a Quincy at the third stage. 

Why is he here? Ragnarok shouted from over Butler's shoulder in his chibi form. 

It must be a work from the Pathway itself. It shouldn't be that hard to imagine. We've all seen ghost of the past come through to us. This can't be much different.

Besides, it looks like the man is talking to that disrespectful he/she leader of the Counter Corp. Dorian added. And he/she looks shook to be honest. Dorian added a grin. 

Your lack of maturity will be the death of you. Rhadamanthys spoke. 

Good thing I'm immortal then, isn't it. Dorian replied. 

See this is why I don't like him/her... disrespectful. 

"Before we conclude this awfully long three-day Origin War, let us take the time to rest...and reflect. A man is apparently present to help with any questions you may have." Then she moved her gaze away from her warriors, to the others. "And as for the rest of you stragglers... Don't stir trouble and I just may tolerate your presence here, understand?"

DIE IN A FIRE YOU DANK SON OF A.... Dorian exclaimed before Butlerok quickly put his hand over the boys mouth. Dorian was too annoyed and impatient to notice the aura that was seething from Arthuria, but Butlerok was not. He calmed the his ward as best he could and in the end Dorian simply rolled his eyes and acquiesced. The young man calmed down and the group eventually proceeded forward.

As they walked by three of the floating tiles came by and hovered in front of them. Upon them the group watched as there was something starting to be transcribed on this tablets. They looked on as their "Origins" were written out in full detail in front of their eyes.

Hmm this is nice I guess. Dorian said almost annoyed. There's a massive line throughout mine...Oh I died that's right. Dorian said very matter of factish.

Butler and Ragnarok simply smirked as their story. It was quite vivid and lightly explained. Why am I in the subsection of your equipment. I thought we were closer than that!

Well I'm sure we are, but to be fair you are a weapon. Butler replied. However inside his head the other souls felt the need to express their opinions about the situation.

Why isn't there anything about us other than our actual abilities? Spoke Hades.

In addition it seems we are subcategories under this oozing parasite. Genryuusai added.

Well at least you get a mention. I'm not mentioned anywhere in there. Gyuokuen stated in disgust.

To be fair all of you are just big attachments in the e-mail where the subject is me. Be grateful. Ragnarok told the souls. 

Keeping with that analogy. You would be an email from my email address so you should probably calm down yourself.  Butler said setting everyone straight. The simultaneous eye roll was almost deafening. 

Rhadmanthys read his tome and came to the part about the "Artifact taken," he snickered. Isn't it weird that all of us have the the Artifacts that we initially came for. Dorian reached into his pocket and pulled out Number 66. Ragnarok opened his mouth cartoonishly showing the Book of Ebon on his tongue and Rhadamanthys held up the Hades God Surplice even though it looked like nothing more than a very detailed doll. 

So what do we do now? Ragnarok seemingly asked. Dorian looked around and saw the shinigami still next to Arthuria. Well that is a good question. Let just ask someone who may know the answer. 

Dorian stepped forward to Byakuya. So out of curiosity. How does this hallway thing work now that we're all here?

~Counter Corps - Neos's POV~

Both Rivetters were hit by the same vision in unison. As the story of the place played out in their heads at once and saw many figures they did not recognize, they ended up seeing two figures that at least one of them recognized.

Gemini recognized Omega as Protheus, but Lambda, however...

Both of them turned their heads towards each other in recognition as they began to walk forward at a relatively relaxed pace through the hallway.

"Arceus actually helped make this place," Neos ended up asking his counterpart in stunned confusion, seeing Gemini wearing an impressed look on his own while nodding to himself.

"I would hazard a guess that the All-Mother was right in granting him Her blessing."

"Wait, Arceus?" The pair looked back down towards the one that Gemini telekinetically brought with him, the figure seemingly dressed in blue, though both know otherwise. "Isn't that the one that supposedly created your world?"

"Actually, yes," Neos responded, before looking off towards the side in thought. "I ended up meeting a shard of him at the beginning of Death, the shard claimed that it was purposely left behind after feeling that at least one other from his worlds would come to the Path in due time." However, upon thinking upon the beginning of Death, he ended up remembering something Arceus had said.

"Normally, it would be, but after sensing my discomfort of being in the realm she created, she told me of the Door of Origin and how it will allow the will of those it deems worthy to become truth. She warned me that not everyone made it to the Door, however. It was fortunate that she knew where the Key at the time was, so I sought it and made the journey. You already know the end result, Ditto."

Neos, upon this recollection, crossed his arms in thought. "Though, what he said on the Path clashes with the vision in a pretty big way. He claimed the Pathway already existed before he left his birthplane...is it possible he was lying?"

Gemini simply shrugged. "Wouldn't surprise me at this point. Then again, it's possible that the All-Mother knew it would come into existence and allowed him to follow through with the eventual creation."

A lightbulb went off in his head as he remembered something, reaching into his jacket pocket...

...though he ended up feeling nothing. "What in the Distortion...?"

"That orb you got probably lost its purpose and dissipated, dear counterpart. Wouldn't be surprised if it was related to Beleren's plunge into Remembrance's waters...still amazed I wasn't affected, though."

"I'm right here, you two."

The pair looked back towards the mind mage trailing them, Gemini apparently wearing a smirk on his face.

"I know that, it's still fun talking about you, though." Neos withheld a snicker as Jace tried to shoot his darker counterpart a death glare, though he was failing miserably. He ended up catching sight of Gemini looking towards one side, then suddenly stopping and backpedaling a few steps as he looked down at one of the golden panels.

"...oh, that cheating chick, how does she plan on explaining that Tauros-sh!t?"

~??? - Gemini's POV~

"...oh, that cheating chick, how does she plan on explaining that Tauros-sh!t?"

Gemini could feel his lighter half staring at him upon the statement, followed soon by the curious look of the mind mage. "Cheating...?"

The dark human raised a pointed finger towards the golden plate depicting a small black dragon with silver leaf-like ears and golden underwings. The name shown under the image was 'Tesability Black', whom Gemini knew the crystal she reverted back to was shattered...but the name was not crossed out like the others whom had died upon the Paths.

"Both her and I were pulled into one of the Avatar's attacks. I had to revert her back into her crystalline state to get her out safely, though the bastard attempted to crush her jewel." Gemini knelt down to get a better look at the writings underneath the picture. "...according to this, Tesability's been revived and on a planet known as Rama-Indri, brought there after some chick named Mauvache created a false duplicate and swapped the places of the two jewels before it was crushed...not unlike using some form of multi-dimensional Switcharoo."

"I thought teleportation was disallowed here," Neos asked before Gemini looked up towards him.

"It's not, admittedly. My unintentional connection to Origin allowed me to skirt this for a bit, but this suggests an outside source messing with events inside of the Path...I suspect that this place isn't as immune to outside interference as its many creators would like to believe."

~Counter Corps - Jace's POV~

Jace was getting annoyed with the two shapeshifters, who have all but ignored him, Jace walked forward ahead, keeping the illusion of his actual clothes up, even the tactile aspects of it to fool anyone who tried to touch him as well. As he walked forward, the primarily light-blue figure that claimed to the plane of Ravnica itself appeared behind him, overshadowing his relatively small form as the masked face focused ahead.

"WELCOME. This is the Hallway of Origin. The end of the beginning. It has been a long journey, Counter Corps... But we have finally made it." Jace's head lifted at the voice, seeing two figures, one of them wearing a black variant of the outfit he often saw Neos wear.

"Before we conclude this awfully long three-day Origin War, let us take the time to rest...and reflect. A man is apparently present to help with any questions you may have." Considering that the woman of the pair ahead had spoken to say this, Jace figured that the 'guide' between them was the suited man. "And as for the rest of you stragglers... Don't stir trouble and I just may tolerate your presence here, understand?"

Take care, Guildpact, he heard in his head. I sense unease from her.

I will keep that in mind, Jace thought back towards the towering figure behind him without looking back as he continued to walk forward towards them.

"Quite...a surprisingly lacking description. Somehow I feel disappointed in this...but it's not like I'm overly notable in the first place.

Perhaps whoever wrote this entry in this tablet just lacked ways of describing this old, plain, me."

With a smile, Kazuya let go of the gold tablet that he was holding. A reminiscence of how he started, what he was fighting was, and how far had his journey come and gone was easing on his mind. The young man had long since decided on his goal in this mess, and the sense of finality of the Hallway only strengthened his resolve. They were currently resting before the true final part of this challenge, right? Taking note of the suspiciousness of Arturia's cause that Yukari had told everyone earlier, Kazuya had little reason to believe that everything was going as well as the leader of the Counter Corps said.

"I better prepare myself for what to come, no use to speculate. I'll just do what I feel is right when the time is right."

Booting his oddly formed COMP again, Kazuya attempted to take a better look on the device again as he hadn't got the opportunity to do so earlier. Despite its odd material composition, it functioned almost exactly the same as his old COMP, however, the list of demons he had access to seemingly had expanded dramatically. There were a lot of unfamiliar-looking demons that he could gain access to, and even numerous familiar demons had taken different forms, reminding him of Cu Chullain earlier. Perhaps it's a part of being so close to Origin, or it was because of the nature of the COMP that had been suspicioously crafted.

Looking at his own information on the device gave him a bit of surprise. As he attempted to look at the list of skills equipped to him currently, it instead listed him with the skills and capabilities of the Bel Demons, and he wasn't able to assign anything to replace them. It was odd, and while he did attempted to utilize their power earlier when he was not able to use his COMP, Kazuya did not expect that doing so would create a change as permanent as this. Sighing as he closed and pocketed the device again, Kazuya then decided to take a walk to pass time until something else happened.

"There really is no turning back for me anymore...but then again, King of Bel actually has a pretty nice ring to it. Using it more as my personal title does seem to be ideal."

"So many things happened, so many things had changed since I started..."

"That's an awful lot of tablets you're reading."

Reimu, holding the one tablet she had, gave the Sword of Hisou a smile as the sword continued to absorb information on the four tablets around it. It was a moment's respite given by Arturia before the end, and no one had seemed to act up on the little speech Yukari made earlier. Reimu shook her head. It was quite a silly thought anyway, perhaps even youkai could get senile in situations like this. The area was just so calming, so peaceful, and yet, Reimu couldn't help but wonder about how such a place had the information about her in such details. She was aware of the history of the place the moment she entered the Hallway, but even then, such thing felt completely odd to her.

"You know, Reimu...I still don't understand her. Even after reading the two tablets about Tenshi, I am still incapable of understanding her. Why she did what she did, what made her go on such path in the first place. It's...frustrating."

Reimu's thought was interrupted by Tenco's, no, the sword's words. It seemed that she was still fixated on the Celestial's being, even long after she had left them.

"Hm? I don't find her to be that hard to understand."

"You said back in that space ship that she's really a good girl in heart, who just had no idea whether what she's doing is right or wrong at times. Just a little girl that has no idea about how the world works at large - a sheltered, pampered girl. But, would such things even lead her to kill...well, everyone currently inside of this sword?

I know she's good at heart. I know she had regretted about what she did. Yet, for someone that claimed to love her, I still don't understand anything about her at all."

"L-love?" Reimu's face blushed as her expression turned to surprise. Not wishing to ruin her image for the sword, Reimu composed herself not long after. "Err...well, anyway, to tell the truth, a lot of people still never really forgave her for her role in starting one of the incidents back in Gensokyo. She was still welcome to join our activities, but the sentiment remained upon a lot of us for a while. Perhaps she took that pretty hard upon herself, and wished to try being a hero that would resolve this incident and restore Gensokyo.

It's something she'd do. She had little idea of the harm she caused, and she perhaps thought that all damages could be fixed in the end. Ah...I wish I was there for her earlier. This nonsense wouldn't have happened."

With the sword now being quiet, Reimu returned her gold tablet to its original position as she smiled. She found it to be odd, but inside, she felt that perhaps she should have given Tenshi more chances. Someone that desperately wished for friends when everyone avoided her, the Celestial really meant little to no harm despite her apparent attitude. She just contrasted Reimu a lot, someone that distanced herself from everyone, someone that was always alone at heart, yet had little difficulty attracting friends here and there.

Ah, in the end, Tenshi was just a little girl stuck in a situation way beyond her grasp. Had it not for Yukari's machinations...

Distracting herself from the topic a bit before her irritation at the boundary Youkai erupted, Reimu decided to ask something to the sword, who seemed to be deep in thought in considering Reimu's earlier words.

"It's quite a burden being stuck as a sword, right? You said you can rebuild your physical body with some effort, so what's stopping you from doing it? I can help with magical energy if you find it to be necessary."

"E-eh, I'm just trying to...contact the others, nothing more. I let Tenco took over my body earlier because I wanted to reach out to the others (and to let her have the ending she wanted), but even now, none of them wished to respond to me after a lot of attempts on my part to make contact.

I guess I can return soon, but I will wait until when it's really necessary. I just wish that they...all of them would be willing to pass in peace, to forgive Tenshi for what she had done."

"...Well, that is a hard thing that you're attempting, but good luck with it."

Closure was always something nice to aim, so Reimu understood the sword's desire to find one. It's not something she should meddle in for now. With everyone reminiscing about their journey so far, Reimu decided to take a walk through the hallway, and noticed Revy's crew and the shady-looking...err...Dorian's group (the sword was quick to fix this mistake of hers) talking to the supposed guide of the place, so Reimu was interested in talking to him too and rushed forward.

"Heeey, you, guide-man! After this, it's the final stage, right? In that case, what is your primary purpose here?

Sorry, let me reword it a bit, I was a bit too excited. What kind of direction are you meant to guide us to in this hallway, anyway? What is really ordered to you by the Pathways?"

As Kazuya continued to walk, he managed to overhear something coming from two men that were talking to each other. It was faint, but he could make out the last sentence, talking about the place being affected by outside interference. It was intriguing, but looking at one of the men, the purply one, Kazuya felt the almost similar feeling like what he felt from his mysteriously-formed COMP. Deciding that there was no harm in asking, he decided to approach them.

"Hello there, it is quite pleasant here, right? You know, in the earlier battle, I was a bit stuck, but then this device" Kazuya brought up his COMP as he talked, "suddenly appeared and helped me. Either of you have any ideas on what this is? I've asked around, but I haven't really found anyone having any sort of ideas about it.

Or perhaps either of you can help analyze it for me? It's helpful so far, but I'm cautious of its nature."

They arrived in droves, and Byakuya was quite pleased with how the Pathway had accepted so many warriors.  Of light.  Of dark.  Of strange, and questionable origin.  And they were all learning just how significant they were in such a large battle.  Curious, like children, they examined the golden plates with joy, sorrow, and fear.  They had questions.  So many questions.

This man, was recognized by the Pathway as Dorian.  He addressed Byakuya on behalf of his comrades.

"So out of curiosity. How does this hallway thing work now that we're all here?"

"You're asking about the Hallway's functionality?  There are many things involved with the Hallway's work.  First, you must realize that it recognizes neither good nor evil.  Finally, the Hallway serves ultimately as one thing:  a path to the end.  A path to the Door of Origin.  Is that what you seek, Dorian?"

A simple answer, but it was the truth.  Then there was another.  A female, identified by the Pathway as Reimu.

"Heeey, you, guide-man! After this, it's the final stage, right? In that case, what is your primary purpose here?  Sorry, let me reword it a bit, I was a bit too excited. What kind of direction are you meant to guide us to in this hallway, anyway? What is really ordered to you by the Pathways?"

Byakuya smiled.  Her jubilation was infectious.  "My purpose is to serve my master, and see to it that those who enter the Hallway to Origin will arrive on the opposite side.  The Hallway demands that I be used to usher you unto the Door.  Much like if I was a Shinigami, guiding souls to the Soul Society.  Those are my orders, Reimu."

Team Dorian: Hallway of Origin

"You're asking about the Hallway's functionality?  There are many things involved with the Hallway's work.  First, you must realize that it recognizes neither good nor evil.  Finally, the Hallway serves ultimately as one thing:  a path to the end.  A path to the Door of Origin.  Is that what you seek, Dorian?"

Ohhhkayyyy Dorian said as there was something hilarious to the whole answer of it all. It sounded like one of those question within the answer. It was pretty annoying being surrounded by all of these good guys. Dorian was looking around and he looked around at those good guys and he started to flashback to his time on this journey. He noticed that there was something interesting about his interactions with the Counter Corps. This made him question certain things about his journey.

Butler...This thing between you and Kenpachi. Who started it? Dorian asked his Kishin Butler. 

Well to be honest, I guess it would be fair to say I started it. Butler said slightly confused. 

Yeah that's right remember when the weird voodoo dude somehow pulled us aside and we made that trade? Ragnarok chimed in abruptly. I wanted to eat him again. He was delicious.

Dorian nodded and then looked over at Rhadamanthys who simply raised an eyebrow. What about this whole blood thing between you and bald dude?

Rhadamanthys grinned and he tilted his head back with fun memories. He remembered when Kratos fought that Jackal monster in the massive forest. Though upon further reflection he realized that he in fact was the one who struck the first blow seeking a worthy opponent and whatnot. Rhadamanthys oddly shrugged and responded to the young spectre. 

I guess if it comes down to it...I may have attacked first. To be fair, there wasn't a decent challenge in that forest till he showed up. I don't think that matters at this moment.

Dorian gave the Judge a quick side-eye of disapproval, but that made him think about his initial contact with the group in the Desert Seth. This was an odd pattern. Maybe it was time he got down to the bottom of something. 

Dorian made a quick glance at all of the residents in the Hallway and shot a fireball in the air to get everyone's attention.

Hey all you good guys! Dorian exclaimed. Quick question, did any of you guys ever start a fight with a member of the Divine on all of these misadventures? Let me be clear! START a fight not have one! START a fight? 

Dorian stood around waiting for answers.

"My purpose is to serve my master, and see to it that those who enter the Hallway to Origin will arrive on the opposite side. The Hallway demands that I be used to usher you unto the Door. Much like if I was a Shinigami, guiding souls to the Soul Society. Those are my orders, Reimu."

"I see. Some things still don't add up...but I'll put that aside for now. Although, regarding the Hallway, I want to know something. Can you tell me what are these golden plates? The information written on it were frighteningly accurate, at least for mine, and there was this strange 'Username' or something similar field being written on it, written by...uh, someone that called themselves Ain, I think. Are these the work of the DATEA? A prophecy, or perhaps, a listing made by some sort of higher being that secretly controlled everyone's action here?

Perhaps, these golden plates were made by the actual Pathways itself, Byakuya?"

Slowly but surely, Reimu felt like she's walking closer and closer to the truth. It was a confusingly peaceful place, and its presence raised more questions than answers, but this conversation might shed some light on where they were heading next. At least, it'd rub some of the remaining itches she had. She tried her best to not think about Arturia and her motivation much for now, and focused on having a friendly conversation with Byakuya, alongside everyone else that were also present there.

"Hey all you good guys!" After talking with his own crew for a while, Dorian suddenly exclaimed. "Quick question, did any of you guys ever start a fight with a member of the Divine on all of these misadventures? Let me be clear! START a fight not have one! START a fight?"

"Good guys? Talking about us Counter Corps? Er, why would we be the one to start a fight with you Divines anyway? Your side's kind of the side that started the whole incident anyway. Although, personally I have not raised my hand against any of your people yet."

It was kind of weird, asking about it all of the sudden. Was he trying to prove a point or something? Reimu never really understood the thought process of that shady group from earlier until now. At such time, even! Weren't they all would end up fighting each other anyway sooner or later once they reached the Door? Before Reimu could continue however, a familiar soft voice spoke.

"Um....Dorian, I think I did that. Yes...I believe I was the one that started my personal conflict with a certain member of the Divine." It was the Sword of Hisou that spoke, the nameless girl Reimu formerly knew as Tenco. Reimu was confused at her words. Didn't the entire thing started because of the girl being attacked by a crazed Tenshi?

"There was a girl of the Divine named Hinanai Tenshi...someone that I once despised utterly. I kept on pursuing her with the belief that I was doing the right thing, with the belief that I am just avenging my friend who I thought she killed. Yet...in the end I realized that the destructive feeling inside of me was actually love. The greatest hate is born from the greatest love, they said. So I continued to pursue her, and I killed her. I made her suffer, I stripped her of everything she had, one by one, stabbed her and turned her into a pincushion, cut her apart as she cried for my name, burned her to ashes to end her misery, and absorbed her essences so we can be together until the end of time."

"Uh..."

"Just kidding on the last part. Sorry..I'm not that good with jokes.

But yes, as Tenco, a Counter Corps member...in name only perhaps at this point, the one who once believed that she was an offshoot of that poor, naive girl - I opposed, pursued, and attacked Tenshi, that Divine girl. And it was all purely on my own initiation.

And well not counting that, I (we) also fought against Protheus as an aside. I (she) thought that I am strong enough to claim the key from him, but in the end, I was (we were) wrong, although surviving is a miracle in itself."

「 」 finished her words, and the golden glow of passion from her blade dissipated. Reimu stared blankly at the weapon she was holding, still trying her best to process what the sword just said. The person she earlier thought to understood appeard to be a lot more complicated and concerning just by those few sentences, sentences that were spoken with barely any hint of hesitation unlike how she usually spoke. And the last sentences, the one where she talked about fighting Protheus, it sounded unlike her. Something was off about it, and what was more concerning for Reimu was that the shrine maiden's intuition told her that the sword was being honest about doing most of that, even parts where she said it was just a joke.

"...You're creeping me out."

"I need to get that out of my chest. Not that I have any, but what I mean is, since we're near the end, a firm declaration like that should be enough for me to fully acccept those part of myself."

The sword paused before pointing itself towards Dorian while still in Reimu's hold. Reimu, somewhat panickingly at the thought of 「 」 ending up accidentally start a conflict due to a misunderstanding from that act, repeatedly bowed her head and made gestures that it was not a gesture of aggresion, and just the sword wishing to talk to him.

"So Dorian, uh...why are you asking? Is it...is it just for your curiosity? I...well...I guess it's a bit confusing for me, although I like being able to talk like this while I'm a sword, so thanks for that and well...thank you also for your company in Death...yeah. Although...is there really any actual conflicts between the Divine and Counter Corps that isn't really just a personal conflict in the end? How much of those are really about two opposing sides fighting for how they would use the Door instead of fighting...more or less just because?

How much of you Divines even actually fight for the sake of Protheus or Isamy, anyway? The entire War, if it could be called one, still doesn't make sense for me, so I'm trying to understand more."

The calm atmosphere of the room seemingly had a positive effect on the previously reclusive and somewhat depressive 「 」, who now speak in a more open and friendly tone, like how she usually was before. It's still peppered with some pauses as usual, but she was seemingly somewhat more confident in what she had to say now. Reimu, who listened to all that, tried her best to figure out whether this entire thing really was a good or a bad development of the situation, and decided to sit out of further conversation regarding this, unless Byakuya answered her earlier question. Still looking at the sword on her side, who now had finally turned silent, she let out a pained sigh.

I guess she's still just an aimless girl trying her best to understand the world she's in, trying her best to find footing in this strange place and time. In the end, I'm just as lost and hopeless as her when it comes to understanding others, but perhaps it's not that bad of a thing.

Oh look people started to respond. Dorian looked on as his suspicions were starting to be confirmed. It seemed as if those priestesses and the one from the tea party had answers. 

"Good guys? Talking about us Counter Corps? Er, why would we be the one to start a fight with you Divines anyway? Your side's kind of the side that started the whole incident anyway. Although, personally I have not raised my hand against any of your people yet."

Exactly, he thought with a smirk coming across face. But it didn't stop there. It seemed that there were more people who were going to give him some information. Except this time this was a sword that was talking to him.

"There was a girl of the Divine named Hinanai Tenshi...someone that I once despised utterly. I kept on pursuing her with the belief that I was doing the right thing, with the belief that I am just avenging my friend who I thought she killed. Yet...in the end I realized that the destructive feeling inside of me was actually love. The greatest hate is born from the greatest love, they said. So I continued to pursue her, and I killed her. I made her suffer, I stripped her of everything she had, one by one, stabbed her and turned her into a pincushion, cut her apart as she cried for my name, burned her to ashes to end her misery, and absorbed her essences so we can be together until the end of time."

"Uh..."

"Just kidding on the last part. Sorry..I'm not that good with jokes.

But yes, as Tenco, a Counter Corps member...in name only perhaps 

Yeah, that's a lot...that doesn't count though you bringing baggage doesn't count as a fight against us. This set Dorian's mind at ease. This is quite hilarious. A talking sword that was once that girl who Gyokuen was going to screw over and offer her to some tentacle grope God. Dorian looked back to Byakuya as he was mentally preparing to ask his next question. However, it looked like there was something else the sword had to get off its chest. 

"So Dorian, uh...why are you asking? Is it...is it just for your curiosity? I...well...I guess it's a bit confusing for me, although I like being able to talk like this while I'm a sword, so thanks for that and well...thank you also for your company in Death...yeah. Although...is there really any actual conflicts between the Divine and Counter Corps that isn't really just a personal conflict in the end? How much of those are really about two opposing sides fighting for how they would use the Door instead of fighting...more or less just because?

How much of you Divines even actually fight for the sake of Protheus or Isamy, anyway? The entire War, if it could be called one, still doesn't make sense for me, so I'm trying to understand more."

Dorian smirked as this sword had such spunk. Just like he remembered. It was interesting watching her whole turn of events. But she deserved answers anyway.

Okay fine. Here's the truth. Both Isamy and Protheus were very upfront with us. We as a Divine are not truly useful. We are nothing but hyper evolved meat shields whose purpose is to umm...well placate the concept that you are a challenge in anyway. To be fair they both expressed how they could wipe your entire faction out on their own, but it just seemed less bothersome if we the Divine managed to kill some of you along the way. Now as to whether anyone on the Divine actually like them...I highly doubt it. I think we all are moving to the beat of our own drum. 

Dorian's smirk grew wider. 

Buuuuutttt, Protheus knows that and he doesn't care either way. He sees us as weaker and therefore told us to do what we want. However, you did bring up a point. Don't you think it is odd that both of the opposing factions were not told to explicitly battle each other? Like you said this was initially something that our side started and yet you all don't even try to take us down unless it's some personal vendetta right? That or we engage with you. Why was your side treating this as a race to the finish instead of getting rid of us? And think about it, other than the convenient slew of boss battles we've seem to have encountered most of you all wouldn't engage with us anyway. Let me guess, you all were supposed to get to finish line before Protheus and hold him off their right. But why? Why not go all the way? Why not take out the threats as they come. Yes, even if you aren't inclined to take the risk, your leadership is what's steering you at every checkpoint and it doesn't seem like it's telling you to interact with us. So what does that mean...

Dorian turns his head to Arturia, yet continues to address the group. I think your leadership isn't as honest as ours is. I think he/she over there wants the Origin for his/her self. So my new question to the all powerful watcher is simple. What does Pendragon want with the Origin thing?

• 2 weeks later...

Byakuya watched in silence as Dorian engaged with all present members of both the Divine and the Counter Guardians.  His question was a simple one, yet it was not easily answered.  He proposed that Arthuria Pendragon was not to be trusted.  He believed her motives to be hidden behind a cloud of dust and lies.  This in itself was quite strange, considering the position of all parties involved.  Byakuya stepped forwards, positioning himself not far from Dorian.

"True," he said right away, making his voice heard.  Byakuya continued, unwilling to wait for their replies.  "But if Lady Pendragon's intentions were impure, you would know this, simply by standing where you are now."

Byakuya spread his arms wide, highlighting the Hall of Origin.  "All that you see is truth.  And if the Pathway were in danger, Arthuria Pendragon would not reside here.  Not at this moment, or any other.  Do not fear the unknown."  Byakuya dropped his arms back to his side, resuming his composed demeanor.  "Learn from it.  Or die to it as I have."

Looking over his shoulder from his own tablet, across the Hall of Origin, Kenpachi listened intently.  He folded his arms, thinking nothing of Byakuya's words.  

"He might look the same, but he ain't Byakuya," Kenpachi thought aloud.  "I refuse to believe it."  

|_)The Evangelist - Hapshiel(_|
|_)The Hallway of Origin(_|

Sauntering into the Hallway, oblivious to the significance was it was everyone's favourite sadomasochistic angel with a smile as serene as his bara heart. This place... it felt nostalgic almost, as if he had finally come home at last. It was not unlike the Heaven of his world, what with this heavenly aura to it. Although, the angel noted, he could feel something calling to his virgin heart. Gayly twisting about the groups, Hapshiel came to one tablet sporting his own name, alongside a curious list. Glancing it over, it contained quite an interesting amount of detail about his life. But the way it was written felt almost comical, as if he were written much like a gag character. "Curious and curiouser" Hapshiel mused as he replaced the tablet.

Feeling the area, the angel chose to restrict himself, if just for the moment. The others seemed quite taken by their little chats, and the wait would heighten the pleasure anyways. After all, the greatest orgasm awaited far ahead. The source of the biggest bang in existence no less. And it would no doubt be quite a thrilling experience to come up to such a large and powerful source of might. Euphoric, even. Still, the angel reached out to step, and his boot halted, completely frozen. And he wasn't the only one actually, as the entire Hallway seemed petrified from their perspective.

iU8EggM.png

|_)Hopeless Black(_|

|_)The Hallway of Origin(_|

Truth be told, the Hallway wasn't the only thing seemingly halted, but reality itself, most perplexingly. Of course, nothing is perplexing for the right kind of person~ Rising out of the shadows of the hallway was a certain you know who, a smug smile hidden under their shifting shadow of a hood. "Don't mind me folks, just carry on with your business" the figure snickered as he drifted past the statue-like people.

Moving over to the wall, the tiles seemed to shy away from the figure, as if they were... frightened. But the rabble wasn't what he was looking for. No, what this one wanted was... ahh, there you are~ Reaching out, a tablet began to form from various fragments. One the gauntleted hand was close, the slab was complete, and the figure regarded it critically. The words were all garbled messes of letters that seemed to be overlaying each other to the point of obscuring any real meaning, and they would rapidly changed at a moment's notice, with whole sections randomly appearing and disappearing. "Yeah, this is about right" the figure remarked as they stowed their tablet away in their robes.

Pivoting to leave, the robed figure paused, a thought coming to him. Pondering it over, they nodded and chuckled. And after much effort, the figure had gone and made it so everyone had one of their fingers stuck up their noses, even Byakuya and even Arturia herself. Speaking of Byakuya, the figure paused in front of him, standing uncomfortably close. "Hello Origin, how you doing? Remember me? Well of course you do. I was always here, wasn't I? Well, you just sit tight and guide the rabble to their destiny. I'll be waiting with bated breath, and yes, I promise I'll stay out of it. This is their fight, after all" the figure chuckled as he disappeared, time progressing as normal, save for everyone in the Hallway of Origin having a finger up their nose.

Reimu was completely silent while she listened to Dorian's answer to the sword's attempt to talk with him. It was really hard pill to swallow, but it was even further proof of what she feared. Perhaps she was in denial of it for a while, however, this time it's more of an inevitability to accept. Arturia was hiding something from them all, but what? The sword being all calm in this sickened her. Reimu was so frustrated by this situation, finding no clarity anywhere she looked. Even her intuition drew blank on this one. Why is it so hard just to find the right thing to do? With all the moxie she had to trust Arturia before when she talked back against Yukari, it now felt like she's swallowing her words back. Seeing the sword still feeling calm enraged her.

"Why aren't you saying anything to that? Why are you so calm about this since earlier?"

"What I must say to that? I believe it to be true, and it's something I had accepted for a while."

"So, that's how you feel about her all this time?"

"...Reimu...listen, please. I admire Arturia. I admire her a lot ever since the first time I met her. I respect her, and I know, if she made a decision, she would have her own reasoning for it."

"But, if it's so much of an issue that she kept it as a secret from us-"

"Even then, I can simply not agree with what she's doing. I respect her and chose to understand her position here, however, that doesn't mean I will always agree to what she's aiming to do. I will fight her if her ideals are different from mine. That is what I understand. We have our own reasons to be in the Counter Corps, and I too, have my reasons.

Opposing her if she's acting unreasonable is a way for me to respect her as a person."

"...Damn it! So you're saying I just discard what I believed so far because...because Arturia's-"

"Why are you here? Why are you fighting for the Corps? It's not solely for Arturia, I presume. You're here because the Corps' ideals, because of their goals, because of everyone else here too. Just...calm yourself down, please. This is unlike you."

"...Alright, I'll...mull this over for a bit." Reimu returned to her silence while the sword continued to observe the situation. After she had assessed the situation well, she decided to address Dorian again. Talking about Arturia was always a topic the sword was interested in, and while her own viewpoint might not be the most unbiased, a discussion would help her attempt to truly understand the king.

"What would she want with the Door of Origin anyway? A selfish motive...it's unlikely, isn't it? After all, she is still a Counter Guardian. And I can't imagine someone like her doing anything just so she can use the door for her own purposes.

Then again, I don't really understand the role of a Counter Guardian. I don't know what kind of mindset would they have. I reckon you might have more experience regarding this? Or maybe you, Byakuya? There really is still a lot of things I have no ideas about."

The sword finished her words and wanted to check on Reimu again, but the presence of a certain angel on the hallway sent shivers down her nonexistent spine. As she watched over Hapshiel's movements, the sword chose to freeze and not do anything for now out of fear. It's hard to get over some fears, apparently.

~Counter Corps - Jace's POV~

Walking past almost everyone in the Hallway with Ravnica phasing parts of itself out temporarily to allow itself to move through the crowds, the duo moved closer towards the end of the golden hallway...

...or at least, that was his intent. Once he was right next to Arturia, he felt the odd urge to stop in his place. He couldn't summon the will to move his legs further forward. He took a couple of steps back in confusion before trying to walk forward again, only to be stopped again at the same spot.

We may not yet have---

Ravnica's words stopped midway as Jace's awareness suddenly froze as well, time halting for the moment.

~Counter Corps - Neos's POV~

"Hello there, it is quite pleasant here, right?" Both Rivetters turned towards the newcomer, though Neos tilted his head at the one approaching. "You know, in the earlier battle, I was a bit stuck, but then this device," Neos watched as the kid? suddenly held up a crystalline machination, eyes widening at recognizing the crystalization as Gemini's doing, "suddenly appeared and helped me. Either of you have any ideas on what this is? I've asked around, but I haven't really found anyone having any sort of ideas about it.

Or perhaps either of you can help analyze it for me? It's helpful so far, but I'm cautious of its nature."

Neos looked towards Gemini with an eyebrow raised while pointing at the COMP. "You made something you have no knowledge of?"

"Technically, I did not do it with no knowledge at all," Gemini responded to the question. "It's quite easy for someone like me to peer into the events of specific realities to get at least a basic understanding of various things." Neos caught Gemini looking past him, tracing his gaze towards...

...what in the Distortion is that following Jace?

"I'd highly advise following him. While the big creature following him is of no concern, it's more Arturia that would present danger at the moment." Shooting a look that made it clear he still had an eye on the darker double, Neos ran up to next to Jace.

But he was just short of catching up to the large figure behind the mind mage in the long hallway when everything froze for him, his awareness included.

~??? - Gemini's POV~

Once Neos moved away, Gemini sighed before turning towards Kazuya, a closed-mouth calculating grin on his face. "So, I see you have been making full use of the Communication Player, dear Kazuya." Looking down towards the device, a thoughtful look crossed his face. "So linking it to your aura filled out the blanks I would not have been aware of with a cursory glance while making it, good to know."

Stretching his arms up for a second, a glow emerged from the palm of one hand, forming and solidifying itself into what looked like a semi-transparent CD player comprised of dark-blue crystal, similar to Kazyua's COMP, with a set of earbuds attached to them. Within it appeared to be an unlabeled CD already spinning within in. Pocketting the CD player inside his jacket before placing on of the earbuds into his left ear, Gemini shot Kazuya a gentler smile. "Beware, Devil Summoner, not all demons can be contracted with." At this point, his smile opened up to reveal at least one fang. "Especially not the one standing in front of you."

With that, he walked up towards the same direction, placing the other earbud in, he felt something off. He saw everyone suddenly stopping around him, no longer even breathing, before he felt his own body slow to a full stop, foot still in the air. The music that had once been playing stopped as well, and there was no more sound.

Unlike the others, however, he was still aware. And the inability to move was starting to make him panic.

"Don't mind me folks, just carry on with your business." Though Gemini could not even turn his gaze to look towards the source, he caught the voice heard and wished he could somehow react.

Doesn't that voice belong to...?

As the figure entered into his view and began to move everyone, a mental chuckle erupting upon seeing the figure shove a finger up Arturia's, Neos's and Jace's nose among others, a feeling of foreboding entered him as the robed figure approached him, the face hidden from even his view. He wanted to fight back when the figure grabbed his wrist, balled up all but one finger into a fist before moving the remaining finger up his own nose before moving on to the others. The only figure that didn't seem to have this happen to was the large creature behind Jace despite the presence of hands before remembering that there was no nose for said finger to be put in.

He watched and listened as best as he could before the figure returned to in front of the supposed guide of this place.

"Hello Origin, how you doing? Remember me? Well of course you do. I was always here, wasn't I? Well, you just sit tight and guide the rabble to their destiny. I'll be waiting with bated breath, and yes, I promise I'll stay out of it. This is their fight, after all." A chuckle ended the sentence before disappearing. Time seemed to resume a moment after the figure disappeared, which Gemini immediately pulled the finger back out before anyone could register it being there on him as his foot lowered and he stopped walking.

"Azor's blood?!"

"What in the---?!"

Two phrases shouted in unison became heard ahead of him, netting the demonic Pokemon a chuckle before continuing to walk forward with hands in his jacket pockets.

He caught both Neos and Jace shaking the hand that had a finger up each nose in the air besides themselves.

Dorian listened to the response of the man and his supposed wisdom. It was clear though that something was off. His answer was quite dodgy to be sure. Then it looked as if there was something wrong with the manner of his response based on how his teammates reacted. Dorian decided that it would be best to simply jump into what he had to say.

What! Dorian exclaimed. That absolutely answered nothing! I didn't ask about the safety of this place I was asking about his/her plans with the Origin and how they involve back stabbing his/her teammates. Clearly you are some level of shady that I can't....

It was at this moment he felt the need to stop talking because for some mystical reason his finger was up his nose. This was disconcerting. Dorian didn't remember doing it. Well because he has class and wouldn't do it. Of course he turned around and then he noticed that everyone seemed to have this whole finger in the nose thing. He looked around and as the rest of his team was examining their own fingers. Now that was pretty weird.  

Clearly someone or something is making a joke at our expense. Butler simply stated.

Yeah but in order to do this they must've had the ability to stop time or something Ragnarok added as he simply kept his finger in his nose.

Yes but doesn't that seem to be a bit much at this stage of the game. Dorian said looking back at this representative of Origin. 

So what was that about the Origin being safe again? What's going on here? Dorian asked.

Yachiru blinked. Suddenly, her finger was up her nose. Confused, she removed her hand, and looked around. Everyone's finger was up their noses. Literally. "Kenny! Get your finger outta your nose!"

Kenpachi shook his head, equally bewildered. He removed his finger, and let out an uproarious sneeze, causing the gold platelets throughout the Hall of Origin to rattle and twist. " 'Scuse me."

Revy had lowered her hand from her face, and ducked for cover. "You alright, big guy? Another sneeze like that and you might funk around and kill us all."

Kenpachi laughed. "I'm fine. Did I scare ya?"

Kratos nodded, also removing his hand from his nose. "You surprised us, is all. I thought you had conjured some sort of magic. Why did you exhaust your lungs in such a manner, Kenpachi?"

Kenpachi stared at Kratos. "You askin' me why I sneezed?"

Kratos nodded, rubbing his chin. "This isn't something I've witnessed before."

Kenpachi scratched his head. "You ain't never seen somebody sneeze before, Kratos?"

Kratos nodded. "This is a new event in my life that has changed my perspective. Is this something you do to distract your enemies? Should we strike the Divine down now?" he asked, drawing his blades.

"Calm down, its just his body's way of trying to clear his nose. That's all," Revy said, holding Kratos back.

Kratos sheathed his weapons, observing the pathway. "I must observe this phenomenon again." He marched past Kenpachi and stomped over to Rhadamanthys, poking him in the chest with a heavy finger. "RHADAMANTHYS!" he barked. "Do you . . .also 'sneeze'? What does it mean to sneeze?" Kratos demanded.

Revy marched behind Kratos and snatched him by his collar. "Alright ya big lummox, let's go."

"Wait! Revy! I must have an answer!" Kratos said, struggling.

Meanwhile, Byakuya paid no mind to Kenpachi, Dorian, Kratos, or anyone else. Lowering his hand from his face, he placed it on the hilt of his weapon instead. "Curious," he mused.

"Especially not the one standing in front of you."

"I'd prefer someone more willing to work with me, anyway. Thanks for your help, however."

Sending Gemini off, Kazuya then turned around only to notice that his finger had traveled onto his nose for an unknown reason. Feeling light, Kazuya brushed it off and laughed at the strange occurence. His nose was itching anyway, and he decided that perhaps he should continue picking his nose while he continued on his way towards the big mass of group forward. He was interested in talking with this guide of the hallway, after all. His walk was interrupted with a thunderous sneeze. Kazuya noticed that it was from the elderly-looking blademaster in white not too far away from him, and it made the devil summoner let out a loud laugh, especially once he noticed the antics that happened between his allies. Such lighthearted moments could make one forgot the situation they were in, but taking a break from all the tension was fun. Still picking his nose and somewhat annoyed that he didn't manage to dig any gold inside, Kazuya made his way towards the other blademaster in white - the guide.

"It's such a nice condition here now, right? I'm here just curious about something, what are these gold plates, anyway? What I know so far is, they read as if they're written by some people detailing their knowledge on us all pretty accurately. It honestly is pretty concerning, at least for me. At least their knowledge isn't perfect.

Know anything about it?"

"U-uh...this feels unpleasant..."

The sword felt an odd itch, something hard to describe but it was like, being tickled and she was unable to respond to it in any way. If only she had a body now, she would have rubbed that itch off, but being stuck as a sword made it more or less just a pipe dream, and so she gave her best pouting expression that she could manage to show her displeasure. Well...since swords couldn't pout anyway, nothing really changed about her appearance, aside from perhaps the glow on the blade being less radiant. She then could hear a loud sneeze however, and she noticed it came from Kenpachi. When she looked over there however, she noticed that everyone's fingers were for some reasons were on their nose. Between Kenpachi and his friends, Dorian and his allies, even strangers, all were sticking their finger up on their nose. Had this happened for a while? The sword had shut her senses down earlier as soon she could notice the presence of Hapshiel, so perhaps she missed something. She decided to ask Reimu, but...

"R-reimu! You too? Why are you picking your nose?"

"Ah, you're back? Don't mind this, anyway. It's just my habit when I'm trying to think really hard. It's relaxing and eases your mind."

"But that's gross..."

"My nose's clean, silly! I'm just rubbing its insides to stimulate my thought. It felt therapeutic. Once you're back to your body, I can do it to you if you want to."

"...You're the worst."

The light on the sword had been completely shut down now. Reimu giggled for a bit before letting go of her hand from her nose, using a purification magic on it just to be sure before placing the sword on her obi again. Noticing that a blue-haired youth was asking some question to Byakuya, Reimu decided to go forward too, and since the sword's question seemingly had been drowned by the nose-picking incident earlier, she decided to ask her question again.

"Byakuya, well, I'm not sure whether this falls under what you are knowledgeable of, but do you have any ideas about what Counter Guardians are supposed to be? As the sword asked earlier, what kind of mindset would they have in your opinion?"

It seemed like this shinigami impersonation was ignoring Dorian which was lowkey getting undre his skin. He was close to exposing these Counter Corps members for what they were. Useless tools to be used by there leaders. Of course, the Divine were no different, but there is something good about honesty and being direct with your staff. Nevertheless Dorian back stepped as the talking sword and priestess decided that they would try to interrogate the person/image/thing. 

Dorian was so busy being vexed by this Byakuya image that he didn't notice the massive sneeze that shook the Hallways itself. Butlerok and the Rhadamathys felt this and immediately looked at what could be the cause of this calamity. Of course, it was just Kenpachi sneezing and what a mighty sneeze he had. What was more entertaining was watching the Spartan react to the noise. It seemed as if he had never heard a person sneeze before. 

Butlerok looked on as Kratos approached Rhadamanthys with a look of slight worry as the last time those two crossed paths they were ripping the fabric of space and time. The mighty Spartan started to repeated poke the new God of Death and the rest of the team was anxious about this reaction. 

Rhadamanthys simply smiled from ear to ear and tapped into his petty side. 

Sneeze? I've heard of this phenomenon. Rhadamanthys said quite sarcastically. I usually know it as a symptom of the weak and sickly. He added with a slight chuckle.

REALLY! Dorian exclaimed. Are we doing this now? 

Silence micro-spectre this is a discussion between men. Rhadamanthys scolded back at Dorian. He then looked back tor Kratos and started poking Kratos back in the chest.  As Kratos' woman came to drag him away Rhadamanthys simply smirked. Hmph, where I am from the wo....before Rhadamanthys could finish what would surely be a sexist remark he was literally swallowed whole by a giant mouth. It looked like mouth was trying to drag Rhadamanthys into the infinite pit that is Butlerok. Naturally, the spectre was struggling comically trying not to be consumed but it was inevitable as he eventually turned into a black mass that was consumed by the Kishin.

Good job Butler Dorian added. 

Thank you Butlerok responded.

“I am not afraid...I am here for this.”

Yukari pushed away the three plates she were holding with a sigh. Strange as those plates were, they served as a reminder on how far she and Koishi had gone during their time in the pathway, and thankfully, she was confident that it was for the better. From the time she was at the depth of despair, and to the time she wanted to kill Koishi out of her anger and frustration. Such things were now left at the past however, for both her and the satori’s sake. Her earlier talk with Satori herself had solidified her resolve regarding what she was going to do. And about Koishi...she couldn't see her now, but after what happened earlier, hopefully she would soon be able to understand.

With the last few issues had been handled, Yukari stared at her destination. She was ready.

Walking away with a serene from the rest of the people inside of the hallway, she headed for the end of the area. The fake Key was floating on her side in the meantime, and Yukari could only look at it with discontent. It was hard to trust Gemini after all...but, in the end, she just need to make do with what fate had given her. These last vestiges of doubts would only distract her however, and she dispelled those thoughts as the presence of the one she wished to talk to became clear to her eyes. Yukari, attempting her best to fill her voice with confidence, spoke loudly to address the figure.

“It has been a while. While I have changed a lot since the last time we met...it could be said that you too, you really have changed. For the better or for the worse, I can’t exactly tell.”

The figure stood between everyone and the end - the leader of the Counter Corps with her blade stabbed into the ground, staring outwards at the exit. The king who surpassed all boundaries. She calmly watched the light for a time, content with letting the others to simply enjoy themselves while they still had that opportunity.

Then, at last, she turned around, and her eyes made contact with that of Yukari’s.

“Hello, Border of Phantasm. I do not believe we have properly introduced ourselves to each other yet, have we? My name is Arturia Pendragon, former King of Britain and Counter Guardian…” Arturia spoke; her warm words undercut by a cold monotone.

“Pardon my manners, in that case. I am Yakumo Yukari, simply a youkai. It is my pleasure to meet you in such a peaceful place.” Yukari spoke hers in a looser and more friendly manner. “I would have considered to allocate more time for soul-searching here, but as you would have said, it would just be a waste of both of our time. Ah, perhaps we can talk over a cup of tea?”

“It is a pleasure to meet you, Yukari.” Then, Arturia raised her eyebrow at the last bit before shrugging. “I don’t see why not - if you are able to make tea, I shall provide the furniture.”

Holding her right hand outwards the air started to shimmer as she channeled mana into the space between them. A combination of a makeshift Flash Air technique and sheer mana generation, providing particles to be shaped together. In only a few seconds, three objects materialized, glowing hotly at first before cooling down into an adorned table with two chairs - one an ordinary chair, the other with a tall, kingly back. Exact replicas of those that could, once upon a time, been found in the tent of Merlin. She casually took a seat, watching the woman on the opposite side.

“An exquisite taste, as expected of a former King. I will provide my best too, in this regard.”

Several gaps formed around the table once Yukari finished talking, and two freshly brewed cup of tea materialized from those gaps, followed by an exquisite porcelain teapot and a fresh bouquet of flower. Yukari kept her loosely calm expression as she took a seat across Arturia. Aware of the situation she was in, but she simply chose to see how it played out for now.

“I’ve taken a preference for eastern styled tea, so pardon me if it’s not to your taste.”

“As a matter of fact, Yukari, I have experience with eastern tea. I mind not.” The king responded, not elaborating on her words. Instead, she took one of the cups and began to drink it without any regard for how hot it was; its taste was actually somewhat different than what she was used to, but in a good way. For a split second, her eyes lit up - a tiny shimmer of light beyond the blizzard of her exterior. “Oh, this is good! I must say I am rather impressed.”

Seeing a shred of the humane side of the King both surprised and pleased Yukari, who had elected to simply watch over her instead of enjoying her own cup of tea. Whether it was due to the pathways, or whether this side of hers had existed even before that, it was quite a welcome change from their last meeting. Short lasting as it would be…

“I am quite glad that you enjoyed that, Arturia. Even with how temporary our current chance of respite is, a nice cup of tea would help making it a moment to treasure to the very end.”

“Indeed.” With a nod, Arturia put the cup back down once it was emptied, and then moved her gaze back towards the ancient youkai. Now, that faint glimmer of humanity was gone. All that was left was the protector of the realm - the foreign guardian king.

“Tell me. I know little of your journey here, but surely it must have been challenging, even to you. As one who has only recently joined the Origin War, what do you think of the three Pathways that had to be overcome?”

“What kind of answer would you like to hear?" Yukari paused, waiting for Arturia to answer. Seeing no response from the king, the youkai just shook her head and continued talking on her own.

"In that case, I will go off my personal experience. For me, they were..,cathartic, I believe that would be a word that could describe it. Having lost everything and dragged into this conflict that I have no stakes in…” Yukari chose this moment to finally empty her cup. Her eyes were quite distant now, staring upwards. She didn't seem to have any intent of continuing those words, and she jumped to her point instead. “Yet, instead of breaking me, drowning me further in despair, they chose to remove my doubts. I regained a vision for my tomorrow, regained who I once was, and accepted who I am now fully. Once aimless, I have now chosen a direction to go through, a conclusion to pursue.

In the end, none of my challenges were presented by the pathways themselves. I simply overcame myself. Although..."
Yukari paused again, taking her time to have a slight giggle. "-was this kind of long-winded answer something you wished to hear from me?.”

With a gesture, Yukari had her cup refilled as she waited for Arturia. Something about her definitely changed. It was still clear in her mind, how the same exact topic was treated in a far different manner in their last meeting. Perhaps there were still hope.

“Do not worry, for it is sufficient. There is something interesting about your words to be found; you say that your challenges lay outside the Pathways?” Arturia gestured towards the innumerable plates surrounding them. “For some time now, we have been under an influence. Because there were people actively seeking out the Key, it would extend its influence to continually engage the seekers, drawing those to interact with each other and challenging them to be better. Convenient meetups and long-term plans being executed… Whether it was by choice or not, one could say that ever since we ended up involved with the Origin War, we have been on the Pathway to Origin.”

Arturia raised her hands, and her very own two plates flew into them in an instant. Holding them out, she showed a glimpse into the contents of her older application - the one that read ‘Arthuria Pendragon’. “You say that you lost everything and were dragged into a conflict without any stakes. I am exactly the same - if anything, there is only one key difference between the two of us.”

She smiled, and yet it was devoid of feeling.

“It’s that everything I had...was destroyed by my own two hands. I aimed too high in my dreams to achieve a greater goal - my journey made events worse than anyone could have possibly imagined. And thus here I am, a Counter Guardian eternally atoning for her sins.”

“I don't intend to be rude, but to tell the truth something about what you said made that fact quite a lot less surprising than I feel it should, but I digress.” A feeling of discomfort, perhaps from what had just Arturia said, grew inside of Yukari. Maintaining her emotions and expression to hide it was easy so far, yet the feeling of dread continue to grow as the conversation continued. “It is quite a responsibility that you carried on your shoulders. If I may, let me ask a question to you this time.

Your journey through the pathways...tell me, what kind of fruit did it bear for you? I am quite adamant that a Counter Guardian should not even budge even by a bit just from them, and yet...you are quite different from the last time we met. Similar...yet still noticeably changed.”

“I suppose that is one way to put it.” Arturia unsheathed her blade, the almighty Excalibur, and stared at it for a little time. “It is true that as a Counter Guardian, my resolution did not waver. My mission and my ideals remain the same. If there were a difference between the Arturia now and the Arturia before, it would be that...”

For the slightest of moments, she imagined it. That field, that Unlimited Blade Works. Endless weapons of unknown origins raining down all around her on a barren landscape as she fought against an individual with powers equivalent to that of a Counter Guardian - Emiya Shirou. As he stood on that faraway hill, her invisibility worthless against the properties of his projections, she charged with all the ferocity of a mighty king. Someone was yelling; was it her, or was it him?

When she had made it halfway, her absorbing blade had begun to break apart. Every new blade dented it more and more, to the point that even if she did make it to him, it would be impossible to get through that multilayered shield. Let alone actually take him down. Eventually, her weapon gave away, and the others started to pour down upon her; originally just blades, but soon joined by countless other objects as well. Her left arm was cut down, her right arm was severed. Her legs were mortally wounded and her chest caved in. Still she did not give in. At least not until the massive red spear, the Spear of Longinus, stabbed into her and pinned her to the ground.

It was at that point that she realized - the one yelling was her, whereas the one staring silently was him.

While she was unable to move, he walked down that hill and approached her. Choosing to close the distance between them with no regrets.

She asked him why. He told her.

And then… The wounds on her mortal, physical body started to heal. The barrier separating the realm of humans and fairies. Avalon. It had been inside of him all this time! And, as its rightful owner, it was providing sustenance to her. The object had made it even into the Pathway to Remembrance. Golden energy engulfed the crimson blood that she’d been bathed in, healing her. Protecting her. Transforming her. This extended to even the fake blade in her hand that had been blunted and shattered, only its hilt remaining. was undertaking a mysterious power, taking on a new, yet all too familiar form; that of the sword granted by the Lady of the Lake in ancient times long since passed.

She understood the truth at long last, and smiled.

I finally realized it…”

He asked her why.

All this time,

you were my scabbard.”

And with that, she plunged Excalibur through his heart.

Letting go of that ever-present feeling, her eyes reopened.

“...I found my resolve.” She concluded. “It is no longer a mere mission to be executed, but now a personal desire.”

The golden blade in her possession glistened, as if in resonance with her emotions.

“Personal desire...? In that case, indeed, you truly have changed since the last time we met. No, that is not right. You finally had found yourself, perhaps that would be the best way to say it.” Yukari paused, weighing in on what to say next. “To think that a Counter Guardian like you, an enforcer of the Throne, would seek out a conclusion based on their own desire would have been preposterous before. This place is truly a mad world.

Yet, those words put me at ease. You are right about our similarities and differences. I believe that now, I finally could start seeing the full picture of you, of the former king named Arturia Pendragon.”

To that, Arturia nodded. “I am glad. To begin with, I’m afraid to say that I am a very uninteresting and straightforward individual, so I do apologize if I were a bore.”

Then, she stood up from the table, and looked over towards the many other warriors a short distance away. While taking note of their conversation, for the most part they were content with pondering on the golden plates as well as talking with each other, and even the others recognized her power enough that they didn’t dare cause much trouble - little did they know that this would be their one final moment of hope.

The leader of the Counter Corps touched the table, and it promptly dispersed into mana along with the chairs; whilst the teapot, flowers, and cups were retrieved.

The time for pleasantries had come to an end.

“Now, we both know the true purpose as to this conversation, so let us get this over with. You have the Key of Origin, and regardless of how much you have persevered, you must know by now that I simply cannot let you proceed as you are - the Throne of Heroes is a very powerful force that can offer you many opportunities akin to the Door itself, so what would you like in exchange for it?”

“And both of us knows that my only wish now would be something you or the Throne won't be able to fulfill to my liking. It is quite simple - my wish is for the key to not fall to your or Protheus’ hands. Such is the conclusion that I seek. The ending you and that overglorified sorcerer seeks isn't really something that caters to my liking, so to be said.

Alas, had it be any other occasions, I would have wholeheartedly supported you...however I disagreed with your goal. Furthermore, you know that I have no reason to trust someone that had let all these people into this place with a lie.”

As the table and her chair disappeared, Yukari went into her gap before reappearing in a more proper position in opposition of Arturia. This had to happen sooner or later, and at least, Yukari was glad to be able to judge what kind of person Arturia really was before things reached this point.

“Is that so… Protheus I would understand, but this is a curious statement indeed. Whatever has led you to believe this?” Brandishing Excalibur in one hand, she didn’t bother taking on a stance - at least not just yet. Coldly standing in place, she observed the youkai with the glare of a lion, not a single hint of the warmth she’d earlier displayed. From her body, she was already projecting an overwhelming amount of power that made it hard to stand against her, and it hadn’t even been focused into any particular activity yet.

“This is your last chance, Border of Phantasm. Are you not to willingly hand over the Key?” She asked, beginning to pace, circling around the youkai - almost like a predator.

“At the very least, I doubt any sane individual ever trusted Protheus’ offer in the first place.” Facing such an enormously powerful entity before her, someone that Yukari even wouldn’t be confident against in her prime, was naturally a terrifying prospect. Even after preparing herself mentally for such a confrontation to happen since the Pathway of Truth, she couldn’t exactly hide her fear properly from leaking on her expression. Yet, she chose to stand her ground. She had made her resolve long ago, and even if her expression betrayed her, her heart shall not waver. “It is simply from my own observation, and everything matched up for me to accept that conclusion regarding you and your motives.

Which is to say, I will not let you ever have the Key in your possession. Not even if I were to die here.”

With a burning, controlled look, Arturia simply gazed at her for a little while as she walked - her direction changed, and now she was no longer walking around, but walking directly towards Yukari. The youkai, seemingly preparing herself for Arturia to attack her, did several hand gestures while she stood her ground, seemingly preparing for something.

Rather than respond however, Arturia held Excalibur downwards, channelling mana into it. And yet, it wasn’t an attack she was charging, but a spell. Reality began to warp around the two of them as energy from another dimension started to draw them in. Supposedly, she had lost her reality marble Camelot amidst the battle with the Madara - but had she really? She glanced to her left. A faint, smug grin as she saw their surroundings, the golden plates, the calm atmosphere, and any hope of interference vanished in an instant.

Without a sound, the two disappeared from the hallway.

Is he going to be good? Dorian asked Butlerok after the Kishin managed to finally swallow Rhadamanthys whole. 

Yes I think we just need to give him some time to calm down. Butlerok replied while simultaneously looking at Athuria Pendragon talk to the Yokai from before. Butlerok's gaze was becoming slightly more stern as he was simply reading the lips of the faraway conversation. Dorian noticed this of course and proceeded to look in that direction.

What's happening? I don't like this look is it time to squad up? Dorian said as he was getting more lax in his speech. However, Butlerok's silent reply was actually a little disconcerting. Wait are you serious? Dorian turned his head and looked at the conversation that was being had. It looked civil enough...they even had tea. 

Suddenly the furniture seemed to go away and then the air got quite thick. The tension was rising but Dorian couldn't explain why. Butler...Dorian said rather urgently.

Pendragon is asking for the key and the Yokai is refusing. The Yokai has made it clear that she does not intend to give the Key to the leaders of either faction. Pendragon seems "upset" for lack of a better word. Butlerok flicked his wrist and called forth Ragnarok in his sword form. Dorian replied in kind. He adjusted his glasses and lit up into a huge ball of fire. As the ball of fire passed he was covered in his surplice ready for combat. Almost instinctively Butlerok's stomach seemed to open up like a mouth and Rhadamanthys immediately shot at the Counter Corp. leader claws ready to rend her in two. 

Less than a full second had passed and all three members of Team Dorian were pressing down on Pendragon when they notice her slight glance and instantaneous disappearance. 

All three missed there chance and looked around. 

A reality marble? Butlerok said rather confused. 

Wait she could do that? Dorian added on. 

Does it matter? Rhadamanthys said rather contrite. A cowardice tactic to separate herself from proper contest. 

In her defense she might be stronger than all of us Butlerok replied to try to ease the situation. But that wasn't going to be effective. 

Everyone is stronger till they're dead. Rhadamanthys looked down to the other Counter Corps and proceeded to yell.

IS THIS WHO YOU CALL YOUR LEADER! HAVE YOU ALL NO HONOR?  He bellowed down the Hallway. 

Do you have to start a fight now? Dorian added. 

This is serious. These warriors came here to supposedly save existence or something right? Dorian reluctantly shrugged and nodded. And now their leader is about to kill one of their own to take the key and keep the key for herself. LUDICROUS! 

I don't think she was a member of either faction though Rhadamanthys. Butlerok replied. Rhadamanthys simply returned with a glare. Your point still stands however. I am not content with merely being a pawn on this grand chessboard. We should start taking this adventure into our own hands.

Dorian slowly raised his up to Butlerok. That was oddly motivational and self reliant. I don't know how to feel right now. Butlerok looked down and Dorian. I like it though I could get used to this.

Elegy of Camelot

Both the warrior king and the youkai rematerialized on top of a giant castle. It ought to have been surrounded by a town, and beyond that, a vast forest and wildlife. And yet, rather than a great relic of Old Britain, for some reason it seemed to be severely cracked, surrounded by an sea of expansive darkness. Simply being in this location proved deeply unsettling, as if staying here too long may damage one’s own soul. For Arturia, it had been clear that she couldn’t have used this place to hold the Counter Corps a second time.

A magic barrier immediately formed around the castle, nullifying any escape from the reality marble.

“If to die is your wish, then so be it.” Arturia declared in a simple tone.

Standing on the ground with a righteous fury and clenched fists at this defiance...

“You… None of you grasp what’s genuinely at stake here, do you? Why are all of you such---”

As she spoke, the former Counter Guardian revealed her true intentions to Yukari.

She paced the grounds, not with madness, but with an outpouring determination. 

The words coming out of her mouth were so unlike her normal composed self, so inhuman and cold, and yet every word of it was her belief in this Origin War.

And actually, in some manner, logical.

This could only be the grand plot of the Counter Guardians.

“...Ah. That is indeed, an understandable way for a Counter Guardian to see this.

Another confirmation, thank you for that. My guess of your motives are right after all.” Facing the mortal threat before her, far from being in any position to fight, Arturia’s words ended up making Yukari feel at ease, It was the final confirmation she needed - the confirmation that she was finally fighting for the right goal this time. For a moment, it seemed like she’d just done something, but it escaped Arturia’s notice. “It would have been helpful for your cause had you not led these people here with sweet promises, but ah. For a king who doesn't understand people, it is as expected. And so, now the time for our idle chatter is over.”

~ A Lion’s Round Table - Mythocidal Sword ~

“Well met, guest. Even though you have completely failed to understand my words, you have come far.” King Arthur stated with a cold look on her face. “Now, goodbye.

At that point, massive amounts of energy had already been charged into her sword.

Raising it high over her shoulders, it was clear that she was about to execute her ultimate attack right off from the very beginning, mere meters away from Yukari.

Countless silvery lights rapidly rose up from the darkness, the laments of the fallen and the dreams of the lost, being absorbed by her weapon in a heartbeat.

“EX…”

The blade glowed with a blinding white light, almost appearing to turn into a cross as she held it above her with all the superiority that the King of Knights would naturally possess. The amount of energy that was being condensed into this one attack surpassed anything that may have been experienced before. This was not merely her ultimate attack, but the ultimate attack. The crystallization of the greatest of all knight’s determination to serve her people with blind justice. No matter the cost. No matter the losses. No matter the deaths.

“...CALLIIIIIBBUUUUUUUURRRRRRR!!!”

And with that, she threw all of it forth. From the devastating gorgeous display of outstanding strength erupted a massive beam of light that threatened to annihilate everything in its path, unleashed within what was once a holy sanctuary. The one power that was capable of shattering even a symbol of the multiverse such as the Key - and directed straight at the defenseless youkai.

“Ah, so this is truly your truth...Arturia.”

Amidst the overpowering light, the frame of the youkai dissipated. A holy light without match, there was no hope for Yukari to even face it in the first place, not with her current level of power and with the little window of preparation Arturia gave her. It was pitiable, yet it was also simply the foregone conclusion of the attack. And so, as the light continued on its way, breaking through the ruins of what once was called Camelot, Yukari disappeared with a victorious smile on her face.

Even then, the magnificent beam advanced on its path of destruction without any possible hope of stopping it, tearing apart an entire section of the castle with a thundering roar until finally making contact with the barrier at the end, exploding in a brilliant white light. Arturia was blinded as her reality marble remnants were filled with light, letting herself get thrown down to her feet whilst the castle shook, various hallways and rooms in the lower floors collapsing. The rooftop surface gave way, and she fell through, ending up straight into the throne room.

The body of King Arthur smashed into the carpeted floor. Although she was unaffected by its impact, she lay there for a time with Excalibur still held in both hands above her. She glanced around her - even though the rest of the castle was in shambles, this was the one area that remained rather intact; it looked exactly the same as it had when she had knighted Neos not long ago.

A royal throne room constructed by prestigious materials unknown to modern man, yet more tarnished and rundown that it was in its prime. It was decorated by medieval tapestries that were torn and stained glass windows that were somewhat cracked, and not far away, was an empty throne - the only remaining artifact from ancient times that was untouched.

“Is it done?” King Arthur asked, simply, coldly, robotically towards that very throne.

Although there was a kind of uncertain feeling within her, her premonitive instincts rousing slightly, for now she simply laid on the floor, pondering her actions. Resolute, she thought. Now it would be a blessing to end the others now before they even consider resisting, never to know the truth.

However, in the midst of the silence, Arturia would realize the presence of the outline of a blade before her. An outline that was like a two-dimensional drawing at first, but soon it would be filled with more and more depth as particles and atoms gathered around the area, rapidly forming the boundary youkai again, now with a simple blade on her hand. Normally, trading blows with a master swordsman like Arturia, with a legendary blade of the highest caliber like Excalibur, would be completely foolish to do. Normal sneak attack would not work either. But uncaring of these facts, as soon as Yukari fully reformed herself she uttered the name declaration of her spell card.

“Emptiness: Boundary of the Void. Let this ruined castle be your graveyard.”

Her eyes glowed violet for a moment, and within a flash, Yukari attempted to strike Arturia right where she located the king’s probable boundary line between Life and Death. A singular attack meant to kill in one strike if it hits, and while Yukari doubted her chances, she went on with the strike and quickly sheathed her sword into her gap afterwards, preparing herself for further assaults if it was necessary.

“I will not simply back down against your absolute power, King of Knights.”

~ Fate/Unlimited Codes - Excalibur ~

“Tis a pity.”

Instant death that could not be conventionally defended against; to be struck would guarantee her death. Even in the slightest of seconds that the katana approached her, Arturia understood this much. However, exactly because it guaranteed her death, her instincts foresaw its eventuality. Her body acted to move even before Yukari’s materialization, unsheathing Excalibur once more with the tremendous power of a king - and deflecting away the katana with the utmost precision. Had the youkai not retreated straight afterwards, the weapon may very well have been snapped by its sheer force. The European broadsword and Japanese katana were simply incompatible in direct combat.

“You are a determined individual, Border of Phantasm. If anything, your only real mistake was involving yourself in this war…!”

From there, the very air began to gather around Arturia’s body - as if it were alive, a part of her and able to be moved at her will. A torrent of wind akin to a storm concentrated around her and expanded to fill up the whole throne room, matching a hurricane in intensity, attempting to blow Yukari away and out into the oblivion beyond the castle. This served to protect Arturia from further surprise attacks, as well as give her a much greater advantage overall.

“Everyone makes their own mistakes - I am here now to make something meaningful out of mine.”

With the oppresing windstorm that had awakened inside of the room, Yukari opted to utilize her boundary perception again to figure out Arturia’s movements amidst the condition. Gaps underneath her anchored her to the ground, providing temporary measure against being blown to the wall. She was still at a massive disadvantage however, and even as her natural reflexes returning, Arturia would be too dangerous to face up close. Pulling another card from the void, Yukari decided to declare another spellcard.

“Yukari's Arcanum: Danmaku Bounded Field!”

At her declaration, the room was turned into a box of explosive magical bullets, constantly closing in towards the center and moving out, while further bullets were being fired by seven of her familiars. It was far from the optimal version of the spell card, but using it offensively to force Arturia to go on the offensive was one of the few options Yukari had. She could see where Arturia roughly was, but aiming shots at her would be pointless with how fast she could change her position and screw with Yukari’s perception that was already oppressed by the winds.

Arturia observed the endless bullets surrounding her, recognizing their near-impossibility to dodge even with the properties of Invisible Air as support. Yukari had played her cards wisely. However, regardless of this insane amount of magic bullets, Arturia still possessed the upper hand when it came to pure strength. Consolidating the immediate wind around her, she formed a dense, invisible shield in her left hand and proceeded to charge towards Yukari’s position - appearing to dance and spin about as she directly defended herself with unnatural perception from each and every oncoming bullet. It would have taken merely three seconds to get close to her under normal circumstances - but in the midst of this danmaku, it instead took twelve seconds.

Finally, upon closing in on Yukari, Arturia stopped five meters away and jettisoned the wind contained within her invisible shield at her - this transformed into a high-pressured blast of wind that threatened to rupture the youkai’s very body. Yukari responding by erecting a duplex barrier between herself and Arturia’s attack as she felt the windblast, but it was not enough to protect her fully, and she was blasted to the wall, ending her Spell Card prematurely. The barrier broke at that moment, but it stood long enough to protect Yukari from the worst effect of the attack for now. With herself backed to a corner and with the threat of Arturia getting a clear chance of engaging her on close combat, Yukari decided to counter Arturia’s earlier attack by opening her gaps throughout the walls of the castle room. Strange, violet eyes could be seen from each of them, and within a single moment, barrages of lasers were fired from them, filling the room with the thin lines of destruction resembling a jumbled mess of wires that at each moment attempted to erode the building. Another spellcard burned itself away before Yukari, labelled as “Laplace Demon”.

The Counter Guardian took a step backwards as several lasers intersected on her position, then a step to the right and a well-timed backflip, a natural acrobat. Her feet didn’t land back on the floor though, instead being suspended in midair as she utilized Invisible Air to levitate, the wind flying her, avoiding the innumerable amount of lasers with practically unbelievable instinct and precision. Every time a laser appeared unavoidable, she deflected it with Excalibur. These sorts of techniques were the speciality of all the residents of Gensokyo, and few if any was as powerful as the immortal Yukari in this regard - not only that, but Arturia lacked in experience with regards to ‘bullet hell’-type attacks, and it was only her superior senses that allowed her to surpass them.

“You want to make up for your mistake? Rather than carry on with this foolishness, surrender and let me take that Key… Yukari Yakumo. Right now, you are the villain of this story!”

As she did so, she faced the various scattered gaps. Taking short breaths at each one, before unleashing miniature ‘wind bullets’ from her mouth as if spitting out tiny pellets of destruction - it was a systematic process of elimination, one eye torn through after another. With each pellet and laser, the walls shook a little more, becoming more and more unstable as their magical reinforcements collapsed. Her thought process was that rather than target the source directly, it would be more effective to let the youkai exhaust her spellcards. After five seconds, their numbers had been halved, at which point Arturia prepared Excalibur and struck against one of the blasts as an optimum angle - shooting Yukari a cold glare as she reflected it back.

“Color me surprised.” Yukari replied in a flat manner. “I am nothing but a youkai, and thus, a lowly villain in this grand narrative. I believe this is the natural order of how everything would go. I fight for my own goal, and you fight for yours. If that makes me a villain in your eyes..then well, so be it. Perhaps, this time the villain can finally win.”

Yukari were not able to dodge the deflected laser earlier, and as a result, she was now suffering from a wound on the left side of her body. It was proof that her reflexes were still worse than what it used to be, even after she recovered more of her old capabilities. Gritting her teeth, she channeled a bit of her energy to close the wound for now, and while she withstood the pain from it, Yukari went on to move her hands in a puppeteer-like motion, controlling the remaining gaps to move and turn around towards their opposite direction. And with a pushing motion, Yukari ended the spell card early by firing all the excess energy remaining towards the walls, aiming to blast through the weakened fortress from her previous assaults. Her current spiritual energy pool could only support four more Spell Cards at maximum normally, so Yukari started to figure out the best course of action afterwards as she escaped the throne room she detonated.

It ought to be said that the once-magnificent throne room of Camelot functioned as the castle’s core, taking up a majority of the four middle floors and supported by pillars that extended to sustain the rest of the structure. As the lasers wreaked havoc upon what remained of the throne room, it finally gave away and collapsed to a sea of explosions. In its midst, Arturia, who had ceased the surrounding Invisible Air storm and retracted the air to form an immensely-dense barrier. She watched on as the gap youkai escaped, and as the walls collapsed, and as the ceiling collapsed, and with it - most of Castle Camelot’.

Heavy tremors spread throughout the whole building as its tops and pillars and floors and boards entirely gave way, heavy debris of concrete and mythril smashing into the throne room and landing right on top of Arturia herself - the floor below her gave way, and the floor below that, and the floor below that until this sheer physical pressure finally hit the ground. The end result being that she was entirely buried, such that any ordinary human would’ve been left dead.The hallways right outside of the throne room also shook, beginning to break down but still holding on for a few more minutes - if Yukari were to peer back through the wall, she would find a massive dark pit where the room once was, leading to an endless pile of rubble below.

Needless to say, Arturia was ultimately not all too affected - blasting out from the sea of rubble with a ray of bright light. She gazed upwards, now exposed to the black sky as the structure had little in the way of a roof. There were four remaining floors above her, naked and barely sustained by pillars crumbling slowly, Floor 3 having been the entrance to the throne room.

Readying Excalibur in her hand, she spoke, her voice echoing amidst the destruction; “I see… I should not be so surprised, and yet.”

Yukari Yakumo. An existence so formidable that she was recognized as a physical threat by even the Throne of Heroes itself. In possession of overwhelming potential. Outside of the distortions of the Origin War, Arturia was unsure whether her own full power would’ve even come close to that experienced mind and manipulation of gaps. The only thing that made her tolerable at all as an existence was her nonchalance; her apparent lack of action and care. So why-

“When the barrier between your world and the Netherworld deteriorated, you did nothing. Why are you bothering to act now...to put so much effort, nay, your own life into this ridiculous opposition?”

“Because the former is purely my doing, it's just that simple. I was simply doing a favor to a dear friend back then. And, well...you can say that right now I am doing the same thing. Ignorant of the end result, simply out of a whim as a favor to those I find important.”

Yukari observed Arturia from the sky, having escaped the crumbling castle by blasting a hole on the wall earlier. She had not been aware of Arturia’s presence for long, but Yukari had nothing but respect to the former king. She understood what Arturia was fighting for, and accepted the king’s arguments. Despite her disagreeing with almost everything that she had done, in the end, both of them were not really different. And that would be why the Counter Guardian would end up serving as Yukari’s greatest opposition.

“I do what I want to do, and stay away from what I don’t want to do. Doing things for the sake of what is important to me, and staying away from any other inconveniences. It is always my approach, and it is no different now.”

“Is that truly all you have to say, Border of Phantasm… So you would risk all of existence for the sake of your own childish selfishness?” Arturia maintained a still face at this response - both surprised and annoyed at this old woman that was daring to oppose her with such uncharacteristic conviction.

“I know what the customs of Gensokyo are like, so let me teach you something about the customs of my people - Britain places high value on its strong common sense, has done so for generations and continued to do so long after my rule. Face me with everything you have...and allow me to teach you some of that common sense!”

The blade in her hands glowed with a brilliant blinding light, immense energy and golden wisps from the surrounding area gathering in it once more.

Ex…” And she fixated her attention upon the defiant Yukari. “...CALLLIIIBBBUUURRRR!!!”

A gigantic beam equivalent to the first one was unleashed, tearing through open space as it rushed straight towards the wide open target, a single concentrated point of bright light leaving behind a vast trail. Containing an insurmountable amount of holy energy. Her mana supply resembling that of a dragon’s, the amount of mana in her storage was abnormally higher than gggof any other human. Even though she had a human body and was cut off from the Throne of Heroes, she was simply beyond any normal being. It was clear by the ease with which she unleashed it that, for Arturia, she still possessed at least five more uses of this ultimate attack. And even a little bit of a single one of them could annihilate Yukari.

“Our people don’t need such restraint as common sense. If you want to teach us about that, then I will teach you some of our customs too.”

The Spell Card Duels in Gensokyo, an alternative method to settling disputes, were pretty much the closest equivalent to the national sport of the land. Something important one would learn from it was the concept of pattern recognition. Dodging was the name of the game, and letting your opponent study your attack pattern would only let them bypass it with more and more ease. Given more room to breath and a better positioning compared to Arturia’s first attempt to nuke her, Yukari managed to erect a gigantic gap in time between her and the sword beam. It was not large enough to consume all of the attack, and the force from the holy sword’s light clearing was eroding it, but a sizable chunk of the light disappeared into the gap, with the remains passing around Yukari without harming her outside of its immense heat. Using a hand gesture, Yukari opened the other end of the gap right underneath Arturia, and from it, the remains of the planet’s light were blasted right through her, towards the vast, limitless dark sky above.

As soon as two gaps had formed, the Counter Guardian realized that the youkai was about to redirect it back towards her at point blank distance, from which it was impossible to even attempt to escape out of the way. Not even the wielder herself wasn’t anywhere near immune to her own attack, even after it had lost some of its energy - none of her own skills had the capacity to defend against such a thing. No, against the ultimate holy sword, there was only one logical way to defend herself against it.

“Ex---” More light was dragged out of the surroundings into her blade, more energy poured into the artifact, more hope being squandered in favour of raw power---“CALIBUR!” And just as a brilliant light blasted out of the gap underneath her, she leaped upwards and unleashed a second beam of overwhelming intensity directly below her. Naturally, the warrior king would have to negate it with a new attack of equal strength! The gigantic gap in the sky exploded as light leaked outwards, tearing it asunder.

“Selfishness, within its different forms, is interwoven with the core of a youkai’s existence. Yet, to call my action as purely selfish, are you implying that your motivation to fight are purely selfless, Arturia?” The signs of exertion from dislocating even a portion of such a powerful attack was quite visible on Yukari’s tired expression. Even if it was not a spell card, the burden it forced her body through was not unlike one. A stabbing feeling was apparent on her chest at that moment, and it gave the youkai some feeling of relief. An unexpected ally at this moment, but appreciated nonetheless.

Rather than answer, Arturia glared at her with coldness. The resultant force from the two colliding blasts sent her flying a short distance away, but she landed back onto the rubble gracefully - coincidentally, right above a banner of old Britain.

“You cannot keep this up forever. Although you may be a youkai, I am a human-dragon hybrid - possessing both the greatest magical and the greatest physical offense in my world. Soon, you shall tire - while I’ll still have plenty to spare.”

“You are right. But that would only mean one thing.” As she said it, Yukari formed a gap on one of Arturia’s limb. “I just need to defeat you before I fall from exhaustion.” With a hand gesture, the gap collapses. If Arturia did not release herself from the gap in time, surely her limb would have been torn apart by the force of space.

“Are you planning to stall our fight, Arturia? Do you wish for me to lose to my physical weakness before you swoop in for the kill? It is unlike you, former king. In that case, I shall be content in finding openings on you myself.”

Yukari certainly had a point. Under most circumstances, her priority would be to end the battle immediately with brute force. However, the King of Knights had to take into consideration that gap manipulation - any attempt at a killing strike could be turned back on her at any given moment, such as during that prior Excalibur strike. This meant that in order to ensure a victory, the best manner of proceeding was to exhaust her enough that she was incapable of retaliation on such a scale. Even in her weakened state, this gap youkai was one of the few participants of the Origin War who Arturia could not afford to take lightly. To begin with, their combat styles were wildly incompatible.

Quickly reacting to the gap thanks to her instinct once more, Arturia surrounded her arm in Invisible Air and yanked it away by unleashing it - not only stably pushing her arm out of the gap, but blasting herself away. However, she didn’t stop there; as she hit the rubble once more, she quickly gathered the wind around her before any further gaps could be generated and activated Invisible Air. Distorting the light around her through the currents, the warrior abruptly turned invisible, unable to seen amongst the ground, and thereby unable to be targeted. A drawback of activating its invisibility function was that it took all of her wind to do so, meaning that she was unable to utilize it in other ways such as flight. However, this meant little to one who had learned to make the most of her abilities.

Suddenly, piles of rubble all across the collapsed castle were picked up. Then, quite literally, they launched at the youkai high up in the sky akin to giant, concrete bullets, and at a rapid piece as well - as the invisible woman apparently darted from place to place so that her position couldn’t be pinned down.

The thrown rubble gave Yukari a nostalgic feeling as she attempted to dodge them. Their massive size presented quite a problem however. They were not something she could conventionally dodge, and using her gaps to dodge them would be inefficient with how much of the rubble that Arturia used as projectile. Yukari ended up bringing her sword again, and utilizing her boundary perception and a simple reinforcement magic to find the weak point of each of the fired rubbles aimed at her and cut them to pieces that way. The debris more often than not hit her directly however, and some even managed to break one of her arm. Once again, Yukari had to settle with just minor amount of energy spent to give it a figurative band-aid. It took Yukari quite a while before she could even get the opening she needed to cast a duplex barrier around her to protect herself from the debris.

Arturia was still invisible, and with how fast she moved, pinpointing her position using Yukari’s boundary perception would be an exercise in pointlessness. The issue of dealing with her was only able to be a focus for the youkai once she got more comfortable with her ability to deal with the debris. Using some of the debris as stepping stones for her to launch herself further up into the sky, Yukari then pulled another spellcard from the void. The words “Infinite Superspeed Flying Objects” were written on it. Casting the spell by having it burn, countless amount of gaps opened up on the dark sky. With a gesture from Yukari’s hand, miscellaneous objects soon rain down from those gaps towards the ground. Boulders, forgotten statues, street signs, all rained down from the gaps, fired at a speed similar to a railgun’s. A wide scale bombardment attack that while it’s incapable of lasting for long, would have enough force to carve through the landscape during its short duration. An attack that, for Arturia to be able to force herself through it, would perhaps require her to stand her ground.

Watching her actions with anticipation as she acted, Arturia noted the use of the spellcard - the youkai ought to only be able to support roughly three more of them. Once they were exhausted, it would be mere child’s play to close in on and end Yukari. Until then, she would have to remain vigilant - her overwhelming offense also served as an effective defense against these barrages. As opposed to giving in to Yukari’s attempt at trapping her, she instead focused on countering it directly.

Around her, the remains of the castle were being further pulverized, but that simply couldn’t be helped - she’d lost Camelot twice before, after all. If she had to sacrifice it once more for the sake of peace, so be it. Foregoing her own debris, she sheathed Excalibur and concentrated on the falling miscellaneous objects. And as the first object, a boulder, was just about to hit the ground, her hands forcefully dug themselves into it and threw it at the second object not far away, smashing into some statue, before grabbing hold of a street sign and launching it back at Yukari. Yes, there was a ridiculous number of them - but one ought to never underestimate the sheer strength and endurance that the invisible Arturia had. As the objects rained down upon the castle debris, she grabbed whatever she could no matter their size. Then either smashed them into other incoming objects or ‘returned’ them, swinging them around to preserve the fall’s momentum and shooting them right back at their summoner.

Yukari’s bombardment hadn’t gone as well as she hoped, but as she continued to cut through the returned debris, the fact that ever so slightly, Arturia’s movement had slowed down to some degree as she spent a bit more time when returning the debris back at her. Locking in at her was still a hard task, however. The katana soon ended up breaking apart after being forced to cut through many things, and without skipping a beat Yukari settled with using a street sign as a replacement, using it akin to a mix of battle axe and a baseball bat, With slight reinforcement magic she was able to strike back some of the debris right towards where Arturia shot them back at Yukari, and she also could cut the rest as necessary. However, just doing so wouldn’t let her go anywhere on this fight. She had to find an opening. She soon called off the barrage, and retreated into her gap. The nature of the reality marble prevented her from escaping outside of it, but she needed an opportunity to release herself from this disadvantageous kind of aggro.

She reappeared again not long after on the devastated ruin of the castle Camelot. Her shining violet eyes carefully watched over the battlefield, observing the wind-clad king’s movements whenever she could.

Once the barrage had ceased and Yukari disappeared, Arturia also stopped. She released her Invisible Air - a huge burst of wind escaping in all directions from the outer layer of her body - and analyzed the sky for her enemy’s presence. Excalibur was unsheathed, prepared for more combat.

“To stand against a Counter Guardian...even for beings like yourself, none have ever truly succeeded. One way or another, I will emerge victorious.”

"If it would please you, I will consider it once it's utilized for a better purpose beyond this point. I'll be sure to tell your dead soul about it later so you can rest in peace."

Yukari was aware that speaking on this manner would reveal her position. However, she felt that this time the risk would be better used as a potential opportunity, and further chances to converse with the former king was something Yukari appreciated. She stood still, but her eyes were focused, preparing herself for whatever Arturia might throw at her this time.

Silent and nonresponding at first, Arturia - far below on the ground - shifted her gaze towards Yukari's exact position. It was apparent that her words weren't even to be considered.

"It doesn't work like that." She replied simply, like an adult scolding a child incapable of thought. "Don't you realize jus what I'm going to accomplish here?" She began charging energy again - but this time rather than gathering it in her surroundings or blade, she was concentrating this excess mana within her body. Breathing slow and controlled, the very air before her seeming to glow somewhat crimson. Preparing to attack at the slightest movement.

"My, my. While you're at it, why don't you just destroy the entirety of the pathways along the way?"

Yukari herself was gathering any scrap of energy she could manage alongside whatever she could borrow from her assist as she spoke. Paper amulets formed on her hands as she was readying herself to form her barriers anytime.

“...” Suddenly, Arturia turned around and unleashed a massive torrent of fire from her mouth - yet, in the opposite direction. The recoil bursted her backwards across the battlefield, and towards Yukari’s exact position. Naturally due to being a Pendragon with the dragon factor, there was one other massive offense she was capable of, and that was what is effectively considered dragon breath. Where she came from, dragons were known to be the most powerful of mystical creatures, with the ability to easily mow down the greatest of armies by merely breathing. The flames she’d unleashed torched everything in its path, incinerating the castle rubble in its path without complaint; although it had not been aimed at Yukari, its sheer power was too evident.

With unprecedented speed and Excalibur in hand, the distance between them was closed in almost an instant. While the dragonfire certainly had raw power, she was using it in a different manner. Using it to give her the speed necessary to slice through Yukari before she could adequately respond. And end this battle.  As she neared her opponent, Arturia closed her mouth and turned to deliver a decisive, spinning slash that would slice the woman in two across her torso.

It was like a spinning missile fired right at her, if said missile was spinning with the force that would topple buildings down as it passed through them. Yukari was not someone that had the capability of putting layers upon layers of protective reinforcement magic or barriers to protect herself on an instinctual manner, and so she was aware that no matter what she did, Arturia would always be able to break through any protection she set up before she could set an adequate defense.

What Yukari had however, was quick thinking and the ability to anticipate what might happen. The barrier she erected before her had been cut by Arturia’s slash, alongside her body. Arturia however, missed the fact that Yukari was a youkai, not just a human anymore. The logical limitation of the body didn’t apply as much to her. Retaining some speck of her consciousness and will, on her command she opened her gaps at every single part of her torn body and pulled herself together, using the familiar small, red tentacles to sew her body back. It was part of her plan from the start to get attacked at point blank range by the King, as it provided her with a clear opportunity to strike at her vital points.

As Yukari was still thrown backwards due to the force of Arturia’s attack, the king noticed Yukari’s gaps placed on her limbs. Those portals would surely be annihilated at any moments, causing a collapse that can cut anything in the spatial plane.When Arturia launched herself forward, she’d assumed that the slice would’ve been the end of it, which proved to be her mistake. Having let herself fall into a trap, there were no way to escape these gaps at such range. Even the mightiest of defenses were helpless against a portal cut… Truly. The sharpest blade in the world.

“What?!” In the single moment that she realized this, even her Instinct was unable to think of a solution. Her Invisible Air, dragon factor, mana bursts, the blade that had taken on the form of Excalibur, and even all of her insurmountable combat experience were all no match for something so simple in concept yet so effective. And so it was that the great Counter Guardian found herself sliced in half, her arms and legs torn apart by their various joints, her head decapitated, blood bursting out from every limb. In the end nothing would change the fact that her body was still that of a mere human being. The gory bundle of limbs hit the remains of Castle Camelot with nary a final lament.

Sometimes, things were that straightforward. Rushing in to end a battle in a hurry could lead one open to unexpected consequences, and even the mightiest of warriors could fall in this manner. The head of the great warrior rolled across the ruins for a bit before coming to a stop against a banner of Britain, her blonde hair ruined by dirt and small chunks of rubble, and leaking blood, staring up at the sky with open green eyes. Death closed in on what remained of her consciousness, oxygen draining from her brain.

Her quest to save Britain, having turned into a quest to save all of reality, ended, by a simple mistake?

Absolutely not.

Don’t be ridiculous. The Key of Origin is still out there… Everyone is still in danger. If I don’t do anything, I’m putting endless lives at risk of the whims of the selfish and delusional!

As if some minor cuts will stop the great King of Knights.

I must carry out my duty as protector of the multiverse no matter what!

~ This Illusion - Lisa ~

All of a sudden, the lifeless head was enveloped by golden light, filling it up with rejuvenized life and an equally gold thread shot out from under her decapitated neck. Shooting towards her torso, and connecting onto it with a abrupt snap, making the surprisingly gentle sound of a chime. More golden threads followed from there, connecting her arms and legs to her feet and hands - one of them firmly refusing to let go of Excalibur. And promptly all were being rapidly pulled together by a mysterious force. Shining light enveloped every limb at this point, gathering back the blood into their source, stitching the cuts back up and healing with unprecedented accuracy. This was surely a regenerative ability as it scrambled to bring the warrior’s parts scattered across the battlefield within seconds - yet this level of regeneration was even greater than when she’d still been a Counter Guardian. The ultimate healing; a true defense that negated the very usefulness of the sharpest blade.

Within five seconds, Arturia was complete and alive again. Without the faintest of hesitation, she promptly unleashed a wave of Invisible Air around her just in case Yukari attempted to attack her during the regeneration process, before staring down at her own body - her expression displaying some surprise as well.

“Avalon, the Everdistant Utopia…” Arturia Pendragon spoke out loud. “You have chosen to...stay with me?”

Avalon, the sheath of Excalibur that had once granted her immortality and solidified her seven-year reign. Long ago she had lost it due to being betrayed by her own knights, leaving her incredibly vulnerable during the Battle of Camlann; even as she perished and continued on as a bound Heroic Spirit, and as a Counter Guardian, she never encountered it again. Or so she thought. The reason why Avalon was inside her now had to be obvious. When she’d witnessed it during her battle in Remembrance... he must have transferred it onto her. Emiya Shirou.

“Thank you.” She whispered. The faintest smile seemed to across her face, followed by the flicker of a tear in her eyes. Relief, as if having genuinely reunited with an old friend.

The last traces of cuts on Arturia’s body were no more, making it seem as though she hadn’t even begun the battle yet. Now with far more confidence, her eyes locked onto Yukari’s. There was no need to request the Key from her at this point. The youkai had chosen her fate. Arturia raised Excalibur, her determination now at its peak. “You seem like you wish to say something to me.”

“I will do you a favor and reunite you two.”

Contrast to the glorious revival of Arturia, Yukari was still in complete shambles, silently watching as the light of Avalon reconstructed the king. Her body were barely attached to itself, a little nudge at the right spot could tear her apart again. Seeing her effort so far had been reduced to nothing by an act that could only be described as a miracle bugged her less than it should, but while she maintained a confident, somewhat cocky tone as she said her sentence to the king, her expression was somber.

In the end, they really weren’t that different. Stating that fact on her mind again made her feel like a broken record, but the glimpse of emotion and the small peek into her mind made her understood that fact more than ever.

Arturia too seemed to sense this. Her blade glowed its all too familiar glow, and countless wisps representing the hopes and dreams of her subjects floated up into the air. Far, far more than there were before - as though having witnessed Avalon had strengthened their own lingering wills, and their belief in the one true king. Despite the desolateness of the collapsed castle and the shadows cast by its surrounding dimension, these tiny lights glimmered with an untouchable gorgeousness.

“Come, Yukari. You fought well. Now… Let us end this dream, shall we?”

“In the end, reality finally reared its ugly head. In that case, I shall indulge myself in the ephemeral beauty of our last, fleeting moment in this empty world of yours.”

Yukari steadied herself at the sight of such power. The pain on her chest had disappeared, and her eyes gained the fire of determination as she accepted that this would really be her last fight. Her purple eyes turned red, and the tentacle-sewed body of hers became more and more defined as she took the only help she had into herself.

She wasn’t alone, at the very least. She wasn’t fighting for herself. Renko was here, Everyone else too. Just like the king, she too, had gifts from those she was close to right inside of her. Even if she would die here, even if her own dream would die, if the others might still have the chance to dream, then Yukari would be satisfied enough. She had achieved what she wanted after all. Win or lose, it never mattered to her in the first place.

Aiming to annihilate everything in her path, Arturia poured much of her mana into her blade and blasted it outwards. Beautiful golden light enveloped the entirety of this world, rupturing it with incredible force. As she screamed out a single word.

“Ex… CAAAALLLLLLLIIIIBBBUUUURRRRRRRRR!!!”

Yet, a voice rose out of the deafening blast of light.

Recollection…”Magicannon: Final Spark!”

A new star was born. As she pulled everything she could into the Spell Card, the world was dyed with the color of the rainbow. One that used to be known as the strongest light, the light of love, became the light that valiantly clashed against the unstoppable light of the planet. It was far from enough, but yet, it refused to yield. The rainbow-colored beam of light refused to fall before such an impossible foe, a behavior that was mirrored by Yukari who stood still, refusing to even attempt to dodge or misdirect Excalibur’s blast. Such attempt would be meaningless regardless in the face of such power.

The beam would not last forever. That was a fact. She had no hope of fighting Arturia’s absurd power level in a contest of might. That too, was a fact. But, this was enough. This was the window of opportunity that she needed. From her gap she pulled out another sword. Her eyes were glowing as she closely studied the light before her. As she found the opening she needed, she declared her Spell Card.

“Perish like a dream. Boundary of the Void!”

Without hesitation, Yukari drove herself forward with her blade, cutting apart the beam of light as if it was a physical object as she had the opportunity to identify and manipulate its boundaries. Piercing through the display of power, the light of the Final Spark followed her as both it and her cut through Excalibur.

And yet, as soon as the beam separated away, the light gave way to reveal Arturia herself directly behind it. Bladeless and barehanded, covered in burns from contact with her own light yet the presence of Avalon meant that she could now throw herself into otherwise suicidal situations with hardly any risks. As it happened, she had fired her own beam then threw her blade behind to trail behind the light, for exactly this kind of scenario. Her blast having been stopped twice before, she wasn’t about to let it happen again.

You perish.” The king’s mouth opened wide; an inferno of dragonfire erupted outwards to incinerate Yukari at point blank range.

“Ah.” The flame hit her directly, eating through her clothes, skin, and hair. Too persistent to be deterred by it, Yukari manifested another card, her second to last one. “Obsolete Line: A Trip to the Old Station.”

Separating both Yukari and Arturia was now a giant gap, and from it came forth a train running at maximum speed. Another gap appeared on the king’s left and right side, each summoning another set of trains that would soon crash to each other, and closing it off was another set of train, falling down from a gap overhead. Without even pausing Yukari opened more and more set of gaps, and started to fire her lasers towards Arturia in the meantime.

Excalibur darted back towards Arturia’s hand as she concentrated on dodging the lasers, eyeing the incoming trains. With the three out-of-control trains about to hit her, she fired a powerful blast of Invisible Air at the one to her left, wrecking it and sending it off-course. To her right, she poured all of her mana into her feet and kicked with an overwhelming Mana Burst, the sheer power of which wrecked its entire interior as well as brought it to a halt. Above, her blade arrived just in time as she stabbed directly into the train falling from above - and proceeded to use her physical strength to swing it towards Yukari.

Yukari responded by cutting the train’s weak points apart using her reinforced sword, sending the remaining pieces into her gap before it could hit her. WIthout the train, she was in an ideal distance to analyze Arturia again. This mere seconds of opportunity would not come again later. She would be able to pull of her attempt to dismember the king again now but it was meaningless if Arturia could put herself back again with ease.

So, instead of just that...Yukari ended up repeating what she did earlier, pushing Arturia’s body into her gaps. Yet, she used this opportunity to attempt to understand the alien-like boundaries of Excalibur, and with that, whether it had any potential chinks to it. She still attempted to cut it apart with her gap, but she was pessimistic that just that would be enough. Her attempt of cutting Arturia apart again would be used by her to continue analyzing the blade. Just as she thought, it failed to affect the blade itself, though as the attempt hit the weapon, a tiny crimson blob separated away from it - before retreating back into Excalibur.

Arturia escaped the gap around her body with another hasty Invisible Air blast, pushing wind within to thrust her away. Those gaps were troublesome, but it appeared as though the youkai had been backed into a corner, attempting to figure out a plan of attack as well as how her blade worked. Although, she hadn’t been the only one - as the knight watched the escaped gap dissipate, she assumed a stance. Apparently prepared to fire that ridiculously strong holy sword once again.

Yukari had gathered enough information, although not as much as she liked regarding the Holy Blade itself. Arturia hadn’t seem to notice it yet. The advantage she had given her was far from what Yukari hoped. Arturia’s movements were mostly expected - as soon as Yukari understood her as a person, she would know what moves she would do. Yet, that was meaningless before the sheer absurd power Arturia had. There was no practical use on prying her mind to know what she would do next.

But, Yukari had found what she wanted from the inside of the king’s memories.

“Recollection…”

She saw a battle between a female warrior in armour and a male warrior in red clothing, a figment of her past from Remembrance.

A highly emotional battle on a huge scale, that meant so much to her. He was asking her questions, while she was focused solely on striking him down. Blades flying everywhere. The knight who had mastered the art of one weapon, versus the blacksmith who had mastered none yet possessed infinite weapons.

All of this taking place amongst a desolate field of blades, that was in some ways oddly familiar.

And its name was-

“Infinite Creation of Blades: Unlimited Blades Work!”

Overwriting the desolate and ruined realm of Camelot, another mental world manifested itself. A desolate field of blades under a dreary sky, a scenery born from the memory of someone who hold onto it dearly. As what seemingly her final act, Yukari had manifested the familiar Reality Marble as she prepared for her final onslaught. The faint image of a blade manifested on her remaining arm, replacing the one she held before.

“W- what?!” Arturia took a step back in shock as the world abruptly materialized, actually stunned at this move. Her body shook at the forced change in mental landscapes, placing a greater strain on her as well from the extra layer of detail. “This, can’t be. You manipulate gaps. This is another power entirely, something outside of your scope of abilities, and you should already be too exhausted for any kind of reality marble! How could you possibly be… Don’t tell me - you’re not alone?!”

Quickly regaining her composure, her shock changed into hatred. “How dare you use his  technique. The technique of Emiya… Emiya Shirou is more than you’ll ever be, ignorant youkai. However you pulled this off, you were foolish to probe my mind and use this of all things, as it is useless against me! By using this, you must be exhausted. This was a pathetic last attempt at defeating me, and now I shall annihilate this insult to his memory, this falsehood of falsehoods.”

As soon as it had manifested, the ground around her started cracking, tremors spreading across everywhere as golden lights emerged from the factory smoke enveloping the sky. Arturia locked onto the frail Yukari’s position with a glare, charging up her holy blade yet again. This would be her fifth use, yet she had no choice. She would have to strike before Yukari combined anything within it with her gap manipulation to even the odds, or anything of the sort.

“...EXXX-” And the rest of her voice was drowned out as yet another golden beam of light was unleashed, spamming her ultimate attack for the fifth time. With its unbelievable destructive force, the light of the world effortlessly overcame this far inferior world, tearing the very ground and sky asunder. Swords were being blown off and flying everywhere as the pinnacle blazed towards Yukari herself.

“...To tell the truth, I would rather not utilize this against you, doing so...it was like insulting myself by stooping this low. However, you left me with no choice, and this was the only thing I was able to utilize against you.

This Shirou...just from what I have seen, he was quite far more than what I would ever be. That is something I can agree with. However...I am not him, and this is not his world.

This is also the Recollection of my world. And with this, I shall defeat you.”

The outline of the sword became solid as the world shifted from a rain-soaked battlefield into an image of a rural countryside for a moment before returning to its original appearance. The golden, inscribed sword on her hand would soon manifest, and facing the beam of Excalibur for the fifth time, Yukari shot out a thin beam of scarlet light from the blade. The beam pierced the much larger blast at first, and soon was consumed by it. Yet something happened, and slowly the beam changed its color, and its force was slowly turned back at Arturia, as if the beam was infected by a virus and eaten by the earlier small beam. The sword immediately shattered after it did its job, disappearing like the illusion it was.

“You...”

Arturia’s whole body started to glow as the beam approached her, watching without fear. Only annoyance.

“Were truly an annoyance.”

Then her blade started to glow with an ominous crimson, somehow seeming very different from the scarlet of the approaching redirected beam...

iU8EggM.png

Yet even though the king would inevitably win this battle... Unbeknown to her, she had already lost right from the very beginning.

Hallway of Origin

Unbeknownst to Arturia, Yukari had formed a network of connections between the Hallway and Camelot for the sole purpose of projecting Arturia’s voice at the key moment.

Uncountable amount of gaps had materialized since a while ago, and it would end up allowing every single person in the Hallway to listen to the beginning of the conversation between Arturia and Yukari in Camelot. It seemed that it had been Yukari’s plan since the beginning - to let everyone in on Arturia’s motives, letting out the truth from right under her nose.

In fact, as they resonated with the surrounding panels, it went a step further and carried its way into the remaining two Pathways, blaring not only across the Hallway bt also across Truth and Remembrance-

“I fail to understand.

You… None of you grasp what is genuinely at stake here. Why are all of you such IMBECILES?!

Do you not understand the dangers that anyone would pose if they were to access the Door of Origin? Yes, it may be true that Isamy ended several million universes… Yet as terrible as that is, that means little compared to the rest of reality. It is a marginal number, a speck of dust compared to the grandness of the whole multiverse.

Returning home? ‘Fixing things’? Making them how they used to be? To think that their insignificant lives hold more importance than this, how much more selfish can the Counter Corps be? There’s no difference between them and the Divine!

Making sure that there is zero possibility of reality being threatened. That’s our job as Counter Guardians.

I cannot state enough how much of a danger the Door is to all of reality. That is why we must all spend the rest of our lives in this Hallway and perish, never to advance. It is time to carry out my assigned mission.

Hence, I will destroy you.

And in the process,

I WILL DESTROY THE KEY OF ORIGIN!”

Such were the words that were said.

With Yukari gone, it’s anybody’s guess what she might aim with broadcasting this. Did she expect support? Knowing her, perhaps it would matter little to Yukari if any of them ended up still refusing to oppose Arturia even after hearing that.

What was important for her perhaps that everyone here would fight for the choices that they made by themselves.

The Hallway to Origin

Byakuya's concentration was broken, as an echo broke into the Hallway to Origin.  It was feint, at first, but quickly became clear and understandable.  This was Arthuria's voice, filled with rage and madness.

“I fail to understand.

You… None of you grasp what is genuinely at stake here. Why are all of you such IMBECILES?!

Do you not understand the dangers that anyone would pose if they were to access the Door of Origin? Yes, it may be true that Isamy ended several million universes… Yet as terrible as that is, that means little compared to the rest of reality. It is a marginal number, a speck of dust compared to the grandness of the whole multiverse.

Returning home? ‘Fixing things’? Making them how they used to be? To think that their insignificant lives hold more importance than this, how much more selfish can the Counter Corps be? There’s no difference between them and the Divine!

Making sure that there is zero possibility of reality being threatened. That’s our job as Counter Guardians.

I cannot state enough how much of a danger the Door is to all of reality. That is why we must all spend the rest of our lives in this Hallway and perish, never to advance. It is time to carry out my assigned mission.

And in the process,

She had revealed her truth at last, damning the Counter Corps.  She had lost hope, and the will to fight for something she deemed hopeless.  Or perhaps, she never had any hope at all.  Byakuya flicked his thumb, the broad end of Senbonzakura echoing after Arthuria's declaration of war.  "There," he said, pausing as Arthuria's words fell on the ears of the occupants of the Hallway.  "Your leader would stake your lives for a cause of her own.  She would hand you over to the jowls of death, that she may fulfill her own desires."  Byakuya drew Senbonzakura, and stood at the ready.  "What will you do now, warriors of fate?"

On the other end of the Hallway, Kenpachi looked up to the sky, while Yachiru's head hanged low, into his shoulder.  "Okay," he said simply.  He patted Yachiru's head, as a thought crossed his mind.  With that thought, a smile.  An old smile.  A smile that Kenpachi had long since been missing.  He was neither afraid, nor surprised, nor upset.  Rather, he was excited.  "Heh."  On his shoulder, Yachiru lifted her head, still feeling overwhelmed by Arthuria's words.  "Kenny.  What are we gonna do?"  Kenpachi turned his big head over his shoulder, his smile warming Yachiru.  "Oh.  Oh!  I know that smile!" Yachiru said, excitedly, suddenly perking up.

Kratos was clutching Revy's hand, as they both stared into the skies above the Hallway.  "I guess we aren't going anywhere, huh, big guy?" She asked, with a forced smile.  Kratos interlocked fingers with Revy, as he made her a promise.  "I've not come so far, that I would let another god, nor king, take this away from me."  

He took Revy by the hand, and drew her towards Kenpachi.

Killua had plopped down in the Hallway, his hands behind his head.  He'd only just arrived with Gon, Elsa, and Ed, when Arthuria's angry ranting gave him something of a shock.  "Well.  That's a revelation if I've ever heard one."

He stood up straight, dusting his shorts off.  "Gon.  We can't let that happen.  Not to our friends."

Kratos and Revy stood beside Kenpachi and Yachiru, questioning the look on Kenpachi's face.  He was grinning from ear to ear, and there was a disturbing tinge in his visible eye.  "Kenpachi.  What will you do?" Kratos asked, daringly.

He had been waiting for someone to ask him that.  Kenpachi drew Nozarashi from his waist, and pointed it at the sky above the Hallway to Origin.  And as loudly as he could, he made his own declaration of war.  "I'M GONNA KILL THAT jabroni.  AND I'M GONNA HAVE FUN DOIN' IT!"  Kenpachi erupted into laughter, as he beat his chest, and he could feel the temperature of his body rising.  "SO WHO'S WITH ME!?"

… Ah.

Hello there, friends. It’s been a while, hasn’t it? Yes, indeed, it seems that there has been little time and motivation for much activity recently. Well, hopefully we can get this story moving along a bit, however hurriedly it be done.

… oh? Who is this, you may ask? Well, even if you weren’t, the answer would be intentionally vague anyway; could this be Kingdom Xathers, who has been recently dealing with art commissions and a change of employment over the past few months? Or perhaps “Alpha Azimuth”, who has been involved with the events of the War of Origin in his own indirect way? Perhaps even Kyros, who recently managed to purge the “Sayer” personality from his being in order to pass through the Truth Path’s End Gate, and is currently struggling to fend off the Leviathan’s influence as he makes his way through the Final Hallway as undetected as possible?

… oh, didn’t know that last part, did you? Well, it just so happened that the Truth Pathway would not allow Kyros/Sayer/Leviathan to pass through without “discarding all falsehoods” within; as it turns out, it was the “Sayer” personality that was ultimately preventing their progress, being a falsehood given life to bear Kyros’ burdens. Well, safe to say that Sayer was finally kicked to the curb, so to speak, by the Leviathan, thus not only allowing the Orichalcos “God” to proceed forward, but also--for lack of a better term--”freeing” Kyros to face reality once more. Oh, but don’t be fooled for a moment that “Sayer” is gone for good. On the contrary, “Sayer” is still very much alive and well, thanks to a small act of “mercy” on Kyros’ part; the Sinister Personality still lives inside the corpse of Gabriel, and has also managed to worm his way out of the Pathway of Truth--with difficulty, of course.

Meanwhile, Team Lombax, unaware of these facts, were met up by Atsuko, daughter of Itsu Fudo, who had only just recently started her venture through the Three Pathways. She had specifically chosen to cross Truth Path first, as she had sensed the Leviathan was within, but laments that the fiend and its carrier had since left the Pathway before she could reach them. Knowing that she (and certain others) had very little time to complete Death Path before it collapses--thus killing everyone within--Atsuko makes a final request to Team Lombax to finish off Sayer and/or the Leviathan in her stead should she fail to complete the Pathways before they reached them. Jeanne volunteers to get Atsuko across Death Path as quickly as possible on her motorcycle, or else die trying. Before leaving Team Lombax’s company with Jeanne, Atsuko left the group with the cards for Russell Oxford and her 3 guardsmen (Carla, Syria and Lucas), as well as a care package of various weapons and items, all gifts from the passengers of the Aeon, including--to Ratchet’s immense joy and satisfaction--a new OmniWrench modified by Team RWBY (so yes, it is Also A Gun™).

Once Jeanne and Atsuko had left Truth Path to attempt to speedrun Death Path before its collapse, Team Lombax followed shortly after, finally earning entry to Prologuous. It is here that they would confront Sayer--now possessing Gabriel’s corpse--and engaged in--

“WHY THE funk WON’T YOU DIE, YOU funker!?!?!”

… well, excuse me for existing.

“Wha--n-no, not you, Mr. Narrator,” Gabriel helpfully pointed out, “We were referring to Sayer. Who also needs to GET THE funk OUT OF MY funking BODY, THE funking FREAK, funking MIERDA, COÑO, CARAJO!!!”

“Wow, such wanton use of your native tongue, Rubedo,” Sayer taunted as he launched a hail of Orichalcos Shards in the plushie’s direction, only for that assault to be stopped short by one of Ratchet’s Holo Shields.

“Pick on someone your own size!” Ratchet sneered at Sayer. “And don’t you dare say--!”

“--so that would exclude you?” Sayer taunted the young lombax.

“Enough with the schoolyard bullying already,” Bayonetta snapped irritatedly, not at all amused with Sayer’s continued antics and existence, especially compounded with having to deal with Sayer’s bodyguard, Garlandolf, along with Alexander and Umbris’s help. “Why even persist at all at this point, Sayer? You’ve just about lost this little game already.”

“And why would I do that?” Sayer questioned back as he took on both Alister and Ratchet at the same time, blocking their attacks with an Orichalcos Sword in each hand. “I for one would be insulted not to have the chance to make your lives as miserable as possible, even if takes me 700 episodes and a few spinoffs to--”

“STOP TALKING NONSENSE, ASSHAT!!” Alister growled, taking an opportunity to slug Sayer across his face--err, Gabriel’s face?

“Alister! That’s my face!” Gabby protested indignantly.

“Sorrynotsorry!” the General blurted as he struck again, this time the Z-Wrench clashing with Sayer’s saber.

“... yeah, honestly, I don’t really care,” Gabriel said after a quick thought. “Just so long as there’s a body left, I’m A-OK with whatever you guys do to it.”

“THAT could be taken the wrong way~” Red chimed as he and Alexander unleashed a Shock/Blizzaga combo on Garlandolf, zapping and freezing the King of Destruction in place, if only briefly.

“RRRRAAAAAARGH!!!!!” With a fierce roar Garlandolf broke free of his electrically-charged, frozen prison. “Honestly, I don’t see why I bother fighting you bastards; all it ever leads to is me getting killed, only for THAT jabroni,” he adds while sharply pointing at Sayer, “to revive and re-Summon me just to do it all over again!!”

“Just another day in the life of a Duel Monster, Garly,” Umbris shrugged. “Try not to take it so hard--”

“--EASY FOR YOU TO SAY!!!” Garlandolf screamed as he swung a giant fist at the Neo-Spacian, only to collide to a halt with Madama Butterfly’s own punch. “YOUR partner actually treats you with LOVE and RESPECT! HE actually gives a DAMN about your well-BEING! And he CERTAINLY never TREATS you like a DAMNED SLAVE!!!” Garlandolf cried each point out, punctuating each capitalized word with punch after punch thrown at Madama Butterfly, only for the Demoness to deftly dodge and block each hit with the expertise of a seasoned boxer. “WHAT MAKES YOU SO DAMNED SPECIAL--?!”

“--oh, cry me a river,” Sayer scoffed insensitively as he rolled “his” eyes (he was of course still busy holding off Alister’s attack). “I mean, you might as well, you look just about ready to, you big wuss.”

And indeed, everyone else noticed the tears welling in Garlandolf’s eyes, threatening to stream down the Destruction King’s face at any moment. Garlandolf’s face was also twisted in an expression of rage and betrayal… and hurt. He looked about ready to abandon his clash with Madama Butterfly and unload his frustrations on Sayer at any moment. The only thing that stopped him was Madama Butterfly’s fist hooking around and slamming dead center against Garlandolf’s forehead, causing a crack to (re)form where he was struck.

“My apologies, Garlandolf, but you really must pay attention,” Bayonetta spoke in a stern yet gentle tone as Madama Butterfly held Garlandolf in place with a chokehold.

“Cereza!” Gabriel called out as he flew over to the Witch’s side (he was thrown to her by Ratchet off-screen). “I’ve got an idea!”

“Do you, now? Let’s hear it.” Putting her ear to Gabriel’s mouth, Bayonetta listened to the plushie’s plan, one of her eyebrows raised curiously as the idea intrigued her. “Well, that is certainly a plan.”

“What are you waiting for?!” Garlandolf demanded while struggling feebly against Madama Butterfly’s hold, with no care given about the tears running down his face. “Just finish me off already!! What’s point in dragging this out when I’m just going to be--”

“Shush, you,” Bayonetta shushed.

“We’ll be doing more than just “finishing you off”, Garlandolf,” Gabriel declared before transforming into a single bullet, which Bayonetta promptly loaded into her handgun.

“Wha--What are you--?!” a perplexed Garlandolf stammered.

“You’ll see in a moment,” Bayonetta replied simply as she calmly took aim and fired her gun, the Gabby-Bullet flying straight into the crack in Garlandolf’s forehead, boroughing its way deep inside the Destruction King’s head.

“ARRGHH!!!??!!! What are you doing??!!” Garlandolf cried out, convulsing as he began to feel an odd pulsation from inside his skull.

“Simply put?” Gabriel’s voice rang inside Garlandolf’s head. “I’m releasing you from Sayer’s bonds.”

“What… … HURK?!??!!!” Garlandolf gagged through a mouthful of putrid black bile that suddenly gushed out, falling with a sickening SQUELCH against the floor.

Everyone (Sayer included) took a moment to witness Garlandolf writhing in agony as more of the bile began seeping out of every other orifice. They watched on, in stunned silence, as Garlandolf’s flesh began to slowly melt into the same substance. Umbris’ sudden exclamation of “EWW, THAT’S DISGUSTING!!!” mercifully broke the silence.

“What IS happening to him?!” a stunned Red gasped out, watching as whatever was becoming of Garlandolf sank down to the floor, the black bile somehow beginning to give off a faint, white glow.

“Is he… transmogrifying?” Alexander uttered.

“More like “transitioning”,” Bayonetta called out in reply, just as the bile quickly calcified into a white substance, before dissolving into a radiant golden sphere of light. The yellow light soon shifted to red before dissipating, leaving Gabriel behind, back in his plushie form, holding a single card in his paws.

“What… did you do…??” Sayer demanded of Gabriel.

With a knowing smirk, Gabriel replied simply: “I’ve relieved you of your servant.”

“Nonsense, I’ll just…” Sayer began smugly, stopping just as he realized something amiss. He could no longer feel Garlandolf’s presence available to him. He could no longer Summon the King of Destruction. “You… YOU…!!!”

“”Lost me my servant”?” Red chimed in mockingly, this time his turn to act smug. “Heh, I don’t know if that’s a reference to anything, but it seemed appropriate,” he added in a snickered aside to Alexander.

“A servant he is no longer. Come forth, Lightray Garlandolf!” Gabriel called out as he held the card up. The King of Destruction returned to the field in a ray of golden light, now adorned in red, gold and white.

Garlandolf took a moment to admire his new look. “This doesn’t mean I have to start acting all Goody-Goody-Two-Shows now, does it?” Garlandolf enquired to Gabriel.

“Nope,” Gabby noped.

“Good. I didn’t want to take my revenge against Sayer while spouting some “righteous justice” bullcrap,” Garlandolf sighed with relief.

Alister couldn’t help but chuckle a bit at Garlandolf’s comment. Speaking of “revenge against Sayer”.... “Seems you’re out of tricks now, huh Sayer?” Alister declared as he and his teammates circled the Sinister Spectre. “No more servants, no more support from the Leviathan… you’re all by yourself now, aren’t you?”

It was true. Without the Leviathan backing him, Sayer no longer had access to the power of the Orichalcos. And Garlandolf was the only Summon left to him after his abrupt split from Kyros. For once in his existence, Sayer was dealt a hand that bricked spectacularly, and he had no other options available to him… except one. With a defiant glare, Sayer called upon a swarm of R.O.D.s to surround him, all prepared to strike at his enemies with everything he had left. “Of course I’m alone. I’m all I truly need…!” Sayer declared, delirious and unhinged. “Darkness, Evil… that’s all I need. THAT’S ALL I AM! IT IS WHY I LIVE!!!” The R.O.D.s began to strike on his unspoken command, detonating indiscriminately against Team Lombax as the Spectre cackled madly. “IT MATTERS NOT, IT MATTERS NOT, I WILL EMERGE VICTORIOUS ONE DAY, FOR AS LONG AS EVIL AND DARKNESS PERSIST AND EXIST, I, TOO, SHALL REMAIN!!! AND I WILL BLOT OUT YOUR LIGHT, YOUR HOPE, YOUR FRIENDSHIP AND COMRADERY, YOUR DREAMS, YOUR LOVE, ALL THE GOOD YOU HOLD DEAR IN YOUR MISERABLE EXISTENCE--!!!”

In the midst of his Villainous Breakdown, Sayer suddenly found himself frozen stiff, his remain R.O.D.s having disappeared just as suddenly. “... what…?” The dust kicked up from his onslaught slowly dissipated, revealing Team Lombax to still be standing without so much as a scratch, thanks to a group of sacred maidens bathing them in their protective aura.

“You’re done now, I hope?” Alexander asked bluntly, the cards for “Waboku” and “Negate Attack” active on his Duel Disk. “We’ve honestly wasted enough time here as it is.”

Without waiting for a response from the paralyzed Sayer, Umbris slammed the Spectre skywards with a giant fist formed from his cape. “If there ever was any consistency to you, Sayer, it’s that you’re such a pain in the fuckin’ ass.”

“Oh, PLEASE, lemme have the first hit!” Lightray Garlandolf begged as Sayer had flown up past his eye-level.

“Go for it,” Alexander shrugged as he called out Scarlight Red Dragon Archfiend, “but I call next.”

Flashing the widest grin he had ever made, Lightray Garlandolf wound up before launching a light-enshrouded punch at Sayer. “RIGHTEOUS DESTRUCTION FIST--ohgoddammit,” he blurted out before he could stop himself just as his fist collided with Sayer and his flesh puppet, sending him flying over towards Alexander and his awaiting Signer Dragon.

“RUTHLESS INFERNO!!!” Alexander cried out as Scarlight’s cast-encased arm ignited in crimson flames before it, too, slammed straight into the oncoming Sayer. “Bayonetta, finish it!!” Alex called out as the force of Scarlight’s strike flung Sayer towards the Umbra Witch.

“With pleasure!” Bayonetta nodded as she wound up, Madama Butterfly mimicking the same motion as the Demoness prepared for the coup de grace.

“CEREZAAAAAAAAA!!!!” Bayonetta (and everyone else) stopped briefly to see a pair of familiar faces suddenly appear speeding into Prologuous: Jeanne, standing upon her motorcycle and winding up her own Demoness’s punch, whilst Atsuko was left to frantically drive the vehicle forward on her own.

What followed could only be described as a chorus of screaming, lead by Jeanne’s battle cry and Atsuko’s hysterical shrieking over having to steer the damned motorcycle with one good hand and one bound hand (and not even having gotten her learner’s permit, at that!), then joined by Bayonetta’s somewhat overjoyed scream as the realization that Jeanne had actually succeeded to finish her remaining Pathways in record time, along with Atsuko, sank in, followed by Ratchet, Clank, Alexander, Umbris, Alister, Red, and even Mr. Zurkon screaming out of sheer unbelieving surprise, and then by Madamas Butterfly and Styx as their respective Witches returned their focus on their objective to punch the living daylights out of Sayer--as well as Sayer out of Gabriel’s corpse--and finally ending with Sayer himself howling as he saw his imminent defeat fast approaching at the literal hands of the two Demonesses, and it continued even after the moment of impact which flung the Spectre straight out of Gabriel’s body and sailing almost clear over Prologuous’ horizon.

Thinking quickly, Alister froze time in order to safely retrieve Gabriel’s corpse--now practically a human-shaped bag of jello after the massive beating it had received--before it could join Spectre!Sayer in his flight. Bayonetta, meanwhile, turned around just as Jeanne leapt off her motorcycle into her friend’s arms, overjoyed that her Umbran Sister had survived the Pathways.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!!!! JEANNE, STOP THIS CRAZY THIIIIIING!!!!!” Atsuko shrieked out as she continued to speed forward on Jeanne’s bike alone. With a weary scoff and an off-hand snap of her fingers without releasing her hug on Bayonetta, Jeanne commanded her motorcycle to stop instantly, sending poor Atsuko soaring, screaming, into Red’s belly, causing the dragon gasp out a poof of flame with an “OOOPH-UGH…!” Soon the group descended into excited clamoring as they congratulated each other on their victory over Sayer, as well as the group’s reunion--

“YOU THINK… THAT THIS IS OVER?!!!!??!?!!!!” The group’s premature festivities were brought to a halt by the shriek of the Spectral Sayer, having returned for one more chance to settle the score.

Umbris gave out a groan that screamed “Are-You-funking-Serious?”, rolling his eyes. “Uhh, let’s see: You lost the support of the Leviathan, you’ve been kicked out by the man who created you in the first place, we lost you your servant--”

“ER-HEM!” Lightray Garlandolf irritably cleared his throat.

“--sorry, I mean “Right-hand Dragon”, ousted you from Gabriel’s now-jellified body--”

“--which I can still work with, no worries,” Gabby reassured everyone.

“--and overall just put a stop to your whole… EVERYTHING. So, tell me again, Sayer,” Umbris concluded, “how is this “not over” by now? You. Have. Lost. Eh-Vuh-Ree-Thing-Uh. There is no point in you being here anymore, so why don’t you just do us all a huge favor and VANISH already?!”

“Oh, I bet he’s expecting a final “epic” showdown of us against his shadow or something,” Red rolled his eyes dramatically, Atsuko clinging to his arm like a pet snake. “Honestly, Sayer, we can’t all be Final Bosses, y’know.”

“So what is it that you want, Sayer?” Alister questioned next, pretty much done with the Spectre at this point. “A “spectacular” death or something?” he added with exaggerated jazz-hands.

“I--” Sayer croaked out, slowly realizing that there was some truth to what he was being told. “I… I--!”

“Sayer,” Atsuko calmly spoke up, emotionlessly glaring at the Shadow-Formerly-Known-As-The-Artist-Former-Known-As-Sayer. “Y’know, for what you and the Leviathan have done to my family, and my friends, and countless others, I… really want to do so much more to you than what's coming to you right now. As it is, however….” Atsuko paused briefly as she pulled out a single Spell Card: “Soul Release”. “... I suppose the most fitting punishment for you... would be a quiet end.”

With that, the “Soul Release” card flashed once, signalling the start of Sayer’s end: the Sinister Spectre did not notice at first, but he had begun to slowly fade away, becoming more and more see-through and wispy with each second that passed by. “What… NO!” the Spectre rasped out in utter horror, finally aware of his cessation from existence. “No, you… you can’t DO this to me…!!!”

“Guys, let’s go,” Ratchet said calmly to the rest of the group. “We’ve still got a job to do.” The others nodded, seeing no further point in giving Sayer their time. They began to make their way to the tree in the center of Prologuous, their backs turned to the Spectre.

“... no, WAIT!” Sayer cried out watching as Team Lombax began to leave him behind, to fade away alone, “you can’t just LEAVE! I’m not… I’m not FINISHED!!! I can STILL--no, NO, I don’t WANT this!! I can’t--STOP!!!” Sayer tried to reach out for them, tried to get their attention, ANYTHING to leave them with SOMETHING, he didn’t care. “You can’t leav… me… w… … t, I sti… … please… don’t le… ve… I’ll be… good, I... p… r… o… m… i… … … … … … ….”

… and thus was the end of Sayer, his existence ending not with a glorious blaze, but a feeble, whispered whimper, it, too, ignored, to fade into nothing….

iU8EggM.png

“Man, am I glad that’s over!” Ratchet stretched, relieved to finally be done with the Pathways, and Sayer.

“Still, that took way longer than we could’ve wanted,” Alister admitted. “I feel like that whole Pathway deal went on for ages, and we were just getting nowhere fast.”

“I agree,” Red nodded, oblivious to the pinky finger he had stuck up one of his nostrils. “We could’ve gone through that whole mess with a bit more coordination and effort, and WHY DO WE ALL HAVE OUR FINGERS UP OUR NOSES?!”

“What the--?!” Umbris blurred out as he and everyone else realized the declared fact; every single one of them had one of their fingers poking the inside of their own noses. Even Madamas Butterfly and Styx, and Garlandolf as well.

“Well, this is attractive,” Jeanne scoffed sarcastically as they all removed their gold-digging fingers.

“However that happened, we should be glad it’s not permanent,” Bayonetta mused. “That being said… how are you holding up back there, Gabriel?”

“Uh, well enough so far,” Gabriel replied, trailing behind everyone else in his restored human body, his legs stiff yet wobbly and his steps staggered. “I’ve just been so used to being a plushie for so long, y’know?”

“Just so long as you remember to bend your knees, you’ll be fine,” Bayonetta replied with some motherly advice. “... you DID remember to restore your kneecaps, I hope…?”

Testing his legs out a bit more, Gabriel found that his kneecaps were, indeed, existent and functional. “Yeah, we’re good,” he answered with a thumbs-up.

“Then hurry along, or you’ll be left behind,” Bayonetta chided cheekily as she and Jeanne proceeded onward with the others.

“Ugh! Sink-or-swim much, Cereza?!” Gabriel sighed, adjusting his lion Luchador mask as he jogged as best he could to catch up with the Umbra Witches.

Meanwhile, Alexander and Atsuko hung back, the Lombax pushing the young girl along on her wheelchair. The two were silent, the only sounds coming from them being Alexander’s footfalls and the slight squeaking from the wheelchair’s wheels. After a few more moments of silence, Alexander finally broke their silence with the question he had been dreading to ask: “... … … did you… find your mom…?”

Atsuko did not give any response, or any reaction to Alex’s question for a few agonizing seconds, until finally she relented with a sniffle and a solemn nod.

She did not have to say much else for Alexander to understand. Slowing his gait and the wheelchair to a halt, Alexander stood silently for a few more seconds, before bending down slightly and giving the grieving Atsuko a hug from behind, joining her in her silent sobbing….

The two hadn't realized that the rest of the group had stopped their progression to wait for them, respectfully staying silent as Alex and Atsuko continued their grieving.

It was at this point that Arturia's words (somehow) rang throughout the Hallway for all to hear:

“I fail to understand.

And in the process,

... ... ... ...

... ... ... ...

"... ... what the funk, that jabroni?!" Jeanne cursed out, breaking everyone else's silence.

"Who the hell does she think she is?!" Ratchet questioned rhetorically, beyond furious at this point. "What right does Arturia have to decide OUR fate?!"

"While I can understand her point of view," Clank interjected, "that does not put her in the right."

"Ugh, great, now I have to rebel against TWO faction leaders," Red facepalmed in disbelief.

"Then rebel we shall," Alister declared, eyebrows furrowed in DETERMINATION. "Some of us did not break out of our prisons or be revived from the dead just to be shoved back into a box. I don't care what Arturia believes she must do. We can decide for ourselves what must be done, and we'll do it together. WE... WILL FORGE OUR FATES AS ONE!"

Nero - Keyblade War Master / The X-Blade's Wielder ~ Hallway to Origin

“I fail to understand.

And in the process,

Nero was at a loss of words when these words echoed throughout the Hallway of Origin. What was going on? What caused such a paradigm shift with Arturia? The Keyblade Master reflected on these words, closing his eyes as the others around him began to mobilize.

Something's not right... Nero pondered. During the moments when we moved into the Pathways...she never once acted like this. So why now? Ever since the defeat of the Avatar Conflictous...she's seemed like a different person altogether. Opening his eyes, Nero looked to his left to see a ghostly apparition of the form that Divine Remnant took when they were reunited.

"Master Nero, what shall you plan to do?" he asked, seeing his chosen wielder sighing. "Master?"

"It's...it's complicated to think of..." Nero crossed his arms, sighing once more. "Arturia has helped us up to this point, that much is true. However...was it to satisfy her own selfish ends?" He slowly shook his head. "Unfortunately, the true secrets and inner workings of her own mind and heart are one thing that we never truly knew as we followed her."

"So will you fight her in order to reach her?"

Nero uncrossed his arms, before looking at Remnant. "Not at first." he said, before turning his gaze to those around him. "No...we'll be smart about this. There has to be a reason that she's doing this...we're going to find out. Words might reach her quicker than a well placed strike would. At the same time, if she doesn't give us an answer or proceeds to strike at us and condemn us to oblivion..." Another sigh began to escape his lips. "Then we strike." His gaze once more laid upon Remnant, as his eyes were filled with a determined look. "Will I have your support with me through this, Divine Remnant?"

Remnant only smiled, bowing slightly. "Master, we were reunited. I refuse to allow us to be separated once more by this declaration of oblivion upon you and your peers. I will fight for you, just as I always have."

Nero nodded, smiling lightly as he watched Remnant's ghostly form fade. Quickly, approached Kenpachi. "I know you've pretty much got your heart set on going toe-to-toe with Arturia...but is it possible to try the approach of words before swords?" he proposed cautiously. "We need to know where her heart truly lies at and what her motivations are."

Archived