Archetype Contest With an Experimental Reward System

Adak33

Alright, before I get into the specifics, let me explain the entry fee and rewards for this one, as it's a little bit different from the norm:

1. The entry fee is 5 Points.

2. For every person that enters, I personally will contribute 4 points to the pot (With my current point total this means that at most 15 people can participate).

3. The winner gets 20 points, 2nd and 3rd place get 10 each, and the rest is split amongst the remaining participants (If the remainder doesn't divide up evenly, 4th place and below will have their points received rounded down, and the excess will be awarded to the person in second place). Since there is a maximum of 15 participants, 4th place and below will receive as many as 8 points -- if a lot of people participate, everybody will be walking away with more points than they started with. On the other hand, this makes it possible for there to be too few participants for any of the prizes to be awarded -- if that is the case, the contest will be called off and everyone's points refunded. This is intended to not only encourage more people to join, but also to encourage the participants to invite others.

Now that we have that out of the way, the contest:

1. You must make an Archetype, the more creative the better. This will require a minimum of 6 cards to be made, but more is allowed.

2. The cards in the Archetype must interact with each other, even if it's only in an indirect fashion (It's perfectly okay for them to not specifically target other members of their archetype; so long as the different cards cooperate and work well with each other, that's enough).

3. The cards must fit the rules for being posted in the Realistic Multiple Cards section of the forum. In other words, no new Types or Attributes or that sort of thing, no archetypes blatantly based on pop culture (Subtle is okay), and no joke archetypes.

4. Written cards are allowed, though discouraged. I won't be giving points off for it -- it's more a personal preference on my part -- but if other judges join they may score you on art selection. At the very least though, you should write what you imagine the picture would look like.

5. Other than that, do what you want. Creativity and variety will only get you a better score.

Judging:

1. Each judge will score each Archetype through a system of their choice. Each Archetype must at least be judged on Flavor and Balance, but anything else is the Judge's prerogative.

2. Currently I am the only Judge. To become a Judge, you must provide me with a link to an archetype review you have made on the Realistic Cards Forum. If I think you did a good job, you're in (Dark Ascension gets a free pass if he decides to become a judge, as I already know he's a good one from his reviews of my stuff).

3. You will not receive final judgement immediately. There will be multiple rounds of judging, the number of rounds being determined by the participant -- if you say that you don't want any more rounds, the rounds will end and your archetype as it stands will be considered your final entry. During the first few rounds, the judges will score you and offer advice on how to improve. If you choose to move on to the next round, you will be allowed time to revise your submitted archetype and re-submit it for judging. You only need to have your Archetype reviewed by all the Judges if it's your Final Round; otherwise, you only need 1 Judge's review.

4. Starting with the third round of judging, if you have consistently gotten a very low score and the judges unanimously agree to it, you will be kicked from the contest and will only be refunded 4 of your points. The extra point will remain in the pot, but the four points that I added will be removed (Thus allowing another participant). If you do not reply to the judges within one week of being judged, the same will occur. If you are unable to participate for a length of time greater than a week, you may ask for a single one week extension. If this is still not possible, you may either tell the judges to make your most recent entry your final submission, or you can officially resign and be refunded your five points. Don't drop out without notifying us, is the point here.

5. Judges must set aside one point per contestant. If they are still a judge when the contest concludes, they will be refunded these points. If they drop out before then or go missing, the points will be added to the pot. This is to encourage the judges to stick with this contest to the end, something which can be a problem for online projects. As stated above, I will be contributing four points instead of 1 and will not be refunded no matter what happens.

The above rules are present to encourage quality and participation, something that can often be lacking in these contests. It's in everybody's benefit to have more people involved (Whether they be contestants or judges), and so long as your work isn't terrible and/or you're willing to take constructive criticism, you'll probably be walking away with a profit! And thanks to the multiple rounds, everyone's final submission will be a polished final product, rather than flawed due to lack of advice and review. It would be lovely if at least some part of this system might be adopted elsewhere in the forums, but I'm not exactly getting my hopes up.

Participants:

1. GalaxyEyes10

2. Girostrike (Donated 10 Points!)

3. Time 23

4. -AixDivadis-

5. RhiscQuinn

6. Magemeek22

7. Llisfast

Current Pot (Assuming the above have all donated): 68 Points

Awards:

1st: 20 Points

2nd: 14 points

3rd: 10 Points

4th and below: 6 points each

How long do you have to make the cards?

If you mean how much text you have to put on them, that's up to you. If you mean how much time you're allowed, I don't actually have a set deadline other than "If it's more than a week and you haven't said anything, you're out." That said, quicker is probably better for the initial set -- you'll have plenty of time for revision in-between the rounds, that's the point of doing the rounds in the first place --so... 4 days, I guess?

And Welcome aboard, Divadis! One more person and we'll have enough to start!

Yes, so it would seem. It's wonderful to have you aboard! Donate the five points and we can get started!

Let's see... How about everyone submits their archetype within four days from now? Unless they ask for an extension, of course. And naturally, anyone else who wants to join in the meantime (Or even after those four days) is welcome to do so.

Yes, so it would seem. It's wonderful to have you aboard! Donate the five points and we can get started!

Let's see... How about everyone submits their archetype within four days from now? Unless they ask for an extension, of course. And naturally, anyone else who wants to join in the meantime (Or even after those four days) is welcome to do so.

good.. I'll post mine tomorrow

Sure! Like I said (Well, implied at least) I'm open to new applications so long as I have sufficient points!

Though I should probably put a list of participants and open slots in the first post or something, huh...

Edit: I have done so. I've also put a tally of how many points people will be getting. If my (Admittedly hurried -- I was more focused on the current tallies) math is correct, if you get one more person to join people in fourth place or lower will be awarded five points... Meaning if a seventh person joins, no one will be losing any points at all. Something to keep in mind.

Can we use archetypes that we have posted?
I have 2 in mind that have only been reviewed by one person each and both were incomplete at the time. 
If not, I do have an archetype that I have on file that hasn't been posted anywhere.

Interested in joining (I believe today is "4 days" from that initial post about agreeing on a deadline)

EDIT: BTW:Both archetypes were fairly recent in terms of posting.

Sure you can join, welcome aboard!

The four day deadline is more of a suggestion. Given that you joined late, I'm willing to allow you more time (Given the "rounds" system, this is less of a problem than it would be with other contests).

If the Archetypes are incomplete as you said, it shouldn't be a problem I guess... Though I'm not entirely sure.

Ah, whatever. Post whichever Archetype you'd like.

Edit: @GalaxyEyes: Ah yes, I did receive them. I'll go take a look once I've had something to eat.

Sure you can join, welcome aboard!

OK then with that I'd like donate 10 points if that's okay (given the lateness/possible use of pre-made cards and to further entice those here and those whom have yet to join).

EDIT: Will donate the initial 5 now and the other 5 only after you've okay'd it

OK then with that I'd like donate 10 points if that's okay (given the lateness/possible use of pre-made cards and to further entice those here and those whom have yet to join).

EDIT: Will donate the initial 5 now and the other 5 only after you've okay'd it

Oh wow! That would be excellent! Of course, that would mean that you'd lose points if you didn't get at least second place...

@Galaxyeyes: I replied with a review of your cards.

Points were never the goal my friend. 

True enough!

Anyway, I added the points in (Though I had to adjust the distribution slightly to make sure that second place still received more points than third, though I'm still considering my alternative solution -- removing one point from the second place reward and adding it to whatever your reward ends up being. What? It does make the math add up properly...)

Also, I'm considering adding a "round-by-round overview" section to the first post. Basically, for each person I add -- with their permission of course -- a single sentence showing, in vague terms, my opinion on what they've submitted. This has "potentially terrible idea" written all over it, though... Perhaps posting it once all of the participants have completed a given round, while leaving it anonymous who is being referred to, so that you have a general idea of the current standings while still not knowing who specifically is in the lead (Unless it's yourself)? I'm pretty new at running contests, so I dunno...

Archived