[Season 2] YCM SOTW #11 - Space

Night

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which piece do you think is the best?

Nw_YCMSOTWs2b.png

1. zyAuehu.png

2. z4cHVpS.png

3. image.png

4. 8dqEq7V.png

5. 2crkf93.jpg

6. 2ily3qb.png

7. kMgHpFi.png

Winner gets a spot in the sotw hall of fame, an award (as soon as I find the .psd) and bragging rights. This will be updated I fucking swear. 

Voting rules:

• Anyone can vote, you don't need any graphic design knowledge to do so, critique and analysis is appreciated but not a must, comments of any sort are favorable.

• If you've submitted a piece you may not vote for it, voting for others however is encouraged.

• Bribing or informing others of which submission is yours is not permitted and if found doing so, you will be banned from the graphic competitions section.

Voting ends 8/13/14 at 11:59PM EST. Whoever has the most votes at that point wins. 

All of them are, obviously, very good pieces.

Number 3 almost got me because boobs, but I tried to control my instincts =P

I have no way of criticizing those pieces accurately, but Number 7 is what caught my eye as the coolest in terms of lightning, image choice, and overall space feel.

#1 gets my vote. The desaturated shadows work well with those absolutely ridiculous colours. Borders and white text are totally superficial, but the bloody colours on that thing are just so well preserved. Creator, gimme the .xcf or .psd afterwards?

#4 gmv, execution aside, it does the theme the most justice. Conceptually it's the strongest, and I'm a fan of the composition even though I really wish there wasn't so much fx spam. 

#1 interests me quite a bit though, I'd really love to see the .psd for it. 

Shit, people. These sotw's getting better and better.

Wanted to go with #3, but at a second glance, despite the great lightning and plot, the theme execution is lacking in comparison to my other possible picks #1 and #4. #4 has great lightning and good execution, but it lacks the wow factor that #1 has so I'm gonna go with #1.

I'm choosing 3 because boobs.

No but seriously, the lighting pretty much makes the render become one with the background. Plus with only a few things actually flowing together, everything else just adds a nice atmosphere.

Even though they didn't get my vote, I just wanted to say that 2 and 3 were really dang cool.

1 is just amazing. The colors are so dope. The X feels a bit out of place but the colors just stand out so freaking much its not even "bad". Not that it was to begin with, just attempting to critique.

2 and 3 felt like they did a good job with incorporating text without it standing out too much, which was really nice. I like 3 for the overall glow, and quite honestly the tits.

2's color really appealed to me, and I liked the use of DP because DP. I like the "wave" effect or whatever you would call it that is present.

If I could vote 3 times it would actually go  1, 2, 3.

Followed closely by 7 but I'm not going to rant

And the winner is Catman (entry #1), the feline king of tagging, sotw destroyer, 3-time winner, best cat I know. Second place is a tie between Night (entry #3) and Madsen (entry #7). Smear gets third with entry #4.

Refer to the discussion topic for sotw #12, what we'll be doing for awards, and the plausibility of a sotw .psd pack.  

Archived