[Card Discussion] Phoenix Purification

VampireofDarkness

fK6XsLF.jpg

Target 1 Spell/Trap Card on the field; destroy it. During your turn: You can banish this card from your Graveyard, then target 1 Spell/Trap Card on the field; destroy it. You can only use 1 effect of "Phoenix Purification" once per turn, and only once that turn.

So I was looking for Spell and Trap destruction to side for obvious reasons, then found this. I made card art real fast so I could find it, and added in 3 for my Side

Discuss....

I know who told you of that card - though I agree with Griffin we have to nerf / limit / ban it in the Metagame if we want it healthy.

I actually forgot you even mentioned it. I was just thinking about possibly running PWWB because I run Plagues and was considering Sabres so I could actually run Trident, then came across this. Needless to say, this was first. And not too sure actually. I mean, it seems good and all, but during your turn, if you have 2 MST in hand vs 2 PP in hand, or even 1 in Grave and in hand, 1 will be really dead and even then, blind MST isn't worth a ton anymore. (Except against that Anti Meta Deck Voltex was running, but tbh I just get way too mad from playing that) I mean, I fully understand why one would say this would have to go or whatnot, but I'm just saying it isn't the first thing I think. A limit would be fine since the second time around is your turn only, which again means you either time it right or waste your only 2nd chance

So it's MST, twice, with a really weak clause on how often you use it. Broken as hell - maybe balanced in some specific metas where people have given up on backrow, but let's face it that isn't a good state.

2 of the upcoming top 4 Decks have given up on Traps, the other 2 don't care cause BA is all chainable and S/T destruction against Qli needs to happen during the opponent's turn to be effective. Sad but true

Aim to fix the meta, not make cards that encourage it and discourage everything else. Make something that punishes your opponent for NOT having a backrow, ect. This is definitely not healthy for any format.

You probably are right. I probably had a bit much of a field day against Set 5-NegateEverything.Dek. As much as I could talk on how Post-PRIO this would actually be irrelevant, you got yourself a point

This card is dumb. Like everyone else has said, it is double MST.

The design is not actually interactive either, you just straight up plus if your opponent doesn't remove it from the Graveyard.

I support the motion to ban immediately. Alternatively, a possibly useful fix would be for it to bounce instead of destroy; then it generates tempo but loses advantage, so it becomes a much more interesting design (and it's still pretty useful...)

No.

Bounce would generally make it -far- more versatile. Note that it can target your own card.

I'm on the favor to make it only killing face-ups.

That generally makes it a better Twister. Then again, Twister is only good when it's either destroy the Spell/Trap or die. That could work. You could also go harder on It and just make it able to only be able to be activated during your turn altogether and just negate a Spell/Trap for a turn, so it becomes an out to Vanity or something along that nature

No.

Bounce would generally make it -far- more versatile. Note that it can target your own card.

I'm on the favor to make it only killing face-ups.

If it were changed to bounce, the additional edit would have to be made to opponents' cards only. Yeah Field Spell / Continuous S/T interactions can get very silly very quickly otherwise.

Kinda off-topic but Cherodei Sweeper doesn't feel fair either, if only because it is a Counter: Counter Traps usually negate something, this one just destroys like MST, but benefits from the the perks of a Spell Speed 4. It would be better if it was a Trap Card in my opinion. And even then, it would dangerously threat Dust Tornado.

Anyways, I disagree with nerfing/fixing this card so it outclasses Twister. I believe outclassing official cards is a bad thing to do in cardmaking, except if you are outclassing cards that are really bad such as 2-Pronged-Attack, but Twister is a decent card and has a niche.

Also, in my opinion additional from-Graveyard effects on Spell/Traps that make pluses are not a good idea either because, well, they become free pluses.

But as has been said, Twister is already a deliberately toned down version of MST, so in this case, it would still be fair enough.

I find Twister to be one of those cards that just was a "Sign of the Times" and not anything worth noting as a role. Now Twister is just used when as I said above when you lose the game if you don't destroy a card, like Qliphort Scout. I don't consider that a purpose, but a cheap way to include more than 3 of a card, which shows how pointless it really is

Archived