[Card Discussion] Slug of Clayrity

Marco Polo

@card art by me. old one tho. 

Slugger.jpg

: FLIP: You can draw 1 card.

: If this face-up card is targeted by a card effect: You can draw 1 card.  

: You can discard this card from your hand; Special Summon 1 “Slug of Clayrity” from your Graveyard in face-up Defense Position.

This + compulsory might be nice tho I'm not sure if worth it. I can see melodious utilizing it pretty fine anyways.

Anyway, some generic card for DP. hope it finds use. :smile:

It doesn't have the Fortress wording. Fortress allows you to do so because it was a legitimate target from your hand, and its effect doesn't fizzle because the effect can still resolve. This requires that you have one of these in your 'yard, I'd think.

Wouldn't the #3 effect allow you to discard this card and then Special Summon itself from the grave? Not that a self-summonable 2300-DEF wall would be that much of an issue.

I don't think so, since rulings state that - you can't activate an effect if there are no targets for the effect / the effect can't be applied in the first place. (similar cases as with Raigeki & Lightning Vortex when the opponent controls no monsters)

i.e at the time in which you're supposed to discard it (to special summon 1 from the Graveyard), you can't since there is no valid target in the Graveyard. at time of activation, the effect cannot be fulfilled. 

That's right, right?

It doesn't have the Fortress wording. Fortress allows you to do so because it was a legitimate target from your hand, and its effect doesn't fizzle because the effect can still resolve. This requires that you have one of these in your 'yard, I'd think.

yes, yes. correct. 

(-:

Resized for attractiveness. lol. 

I don't think so, since rulings state that - you can't activate an effect if there are no targets for the effect / the effect can't be applied in the first place. (similar cases as with Raigeki & Lightning Vortex when the opponent controls no monsters)

i.e at the time in which you're supposed to discard it (to special summon 1 from the Graveyard), you can't since there is no valid target in the Graveyard. at time of activation, the effect cannot be fulfilled. 

That's right, right?

I believe you are right. Although those cards (e.g. Zombie Master, Psychic Cleric) usually target and at the moment of activation you cannot discard and target the same card you discard; but this one doesn't target at all so in theory it may still work on itself. I would add a targeting clause on the activation just to be safe.

That aside, the card looks fine. The first effect is fine when it requires a Tribute to be Normal Set.  The 2nd effect could be annoying but 2300 DEF is not difficult to get over, and it basically works as an pseudo-protection vs. targeting. Yes, you could target it with your own cards to get the draws but then you would just be 1-for-1 yourself. However, there are some cool combos with cards such as Scrap Dragon, or monsters with positive effects that target (e.g. Stardust Spark Dragon).

Archived