[Card Discussion] Necromaster Lich Necromancer

cXfKKHE.jpg

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
When this card is Synchro Summoned: You can Special Summon as many "Skeletal Ravager Tokens" (Zombie-Type/DARK/Level 1/ATK 300/DEF 200) as possible to your side of the field in face-up Defense Position. These Tokens cannot be Tributed for a Tribute Summon or be used as Synchro Material Monsters. During either player's turn: You can Tribute any number of "Skeletal Ravager Tokens" you control; apply 1 of the following effects based on the number of Tokens Tributed.
● 1: Until the end of this turn, this card's ATK becomes 3300.
● 2: Until the end of this phase, this card cannot be destroyed by card effects.
● 3: Shuffle 1 card from your hand into your Deck, then draw 1 card.
● 4: Destroy 1 face-up Special Summoned monster on the field.

[spoiler='A paragraph for each skeleton and then more.']

Seeing how there are a ton of custom Rank 4s in DP, I tried to make a Level 8 Synchro to kind-of be like that. The end result is this. Like with several other cards I've made, I'm having creator's doubt over this, from the effect to versatility of the card to even how ridiculously stupid the name is. Does it do too much too well? Or is what it does ok and it's just too versatile? I gave the Tokens an actual ATK/DEF score because I like the idea of Tokens that have more than 0 ATK/DEF, but should I get rid of that?

The Tribute 1 effect is basically Rush Recklessly, except worded in a way where you don't get to Tribute all 4 for this to swing for 5600. 3300 is probably a bit much for a Level 8, even with the cost (which doesn't matter if this card gave those Tokens for free). Maybe it'd make more sense if it were 2900? Would this even be useful if it did that?

The Tribute 2 effect is Stardust Spark Dragon's effect, but it lasts an entire phase, and it works only on itself (it also doesn't protect from battle destruction). On the plus side, this can potentially use this effect twice, but that's not likely given how vulnerable the Tokens are. And this card can do other stuff.

The Tribute 3 effect was the one that gave me the most difficulty designing. I didn't want to give Necromaster another effect that would help it survive, nor did I want something disrupting since I have the Tribute 4 effect (see below). I eventually settled on a +0 hand filtering thing.

The Tribute 4 effect is the main attraction here. It's basically a -3 Raigeki Break (but you got a +4 from those Tokens so the -3 doesn't matter) on an opponent's monster. It also doesn't target, nor could it unless I remake the entire card. Being a monster pop during the opponent's turn is a little much for a Level 8 Synchro, maybe, but the logic behind giving it this effect is that you're forced to not have any other monsters out in order to play the effect. Probably faulty logic, but that's up to you guys to decide.

[/spoiler]

Does way too much.
I mean, you honestly can't design like this. It's beyond card design but important nonetheless. A card can't be an all in toolbox, it becomes ridiculous.
I say scrap effects 1 and 2.
Make the draw effect cost 3 tokens and be a free draw (otherwise useless) and the 4 token effect negate a special summoned monster's effect and destroy it (during either player's turn, independent of if opponent activates a card effect or not.)

I've been talking on DP, and yeah, I can cut the effects down to only two instead of 4. But the difference there is that the card should focus on cheaper effects rather than the stronger ones. So, it's either that or cut the 3 and 4 effects, and swap the 1 effect for the 3 one. I'll see if anyone else has anything to say before I change it though.

As someone who used this thing...it didn't/doesn't do anything major. In fact its actually pretty fine and balanced if you add that you can only do one of the four effects each turn. It's actually balanced out pretty well. Because once you get tokens you can only use them for his effect (or fuse for dragonecro for lulz) so it prohibits you from swarming and generating  any real kind of advantage. To be honest none of the 4 effects are that spectacular.

1: Boost...

2: One turn destruction immunity
3: Draw and shuffle (seriously the most useless one ever)

4: Destroy an SS'd monster (HRDA outclasses it so bad its not funny.

In truth I only use the 1st and 2nd ability anyway and even those are outclassed by other synchro options.

As someone who used this thing...it didn't/doesn't do anything major. In fact its actually pretty fine and balanced if you add that you can only do one of the four effects each turn. It's actually balanced out pretty well. Because once you get tokens you can only use them for his effect (or fuse for dragonecro for lulz) so it prohibits you from swarming and generating any real kind of advantage. To be honest none of the 4 effects are that spectacular.

1: Boost...
2: One turn destruction immunity
3: Draw and shuffle (seriously the most useless one ever)
4: Destroy an SS'd monster (HRDA outclasses it so bad its not funny.

In truth I only use the 1st and 2nd ability anyway and even those are outclassed by other synchro options.

But it does too much. The first abilities are already done by synchro toolboxes of all sorts. Only special thing it does is the 3 and 4 (which is special since quickplay) effects.

But it does too much. The first abilities are already done by synchro toolboxes of all sorts. Only special thing it does is the 3 and 4 (which is special since quickplay) effects.

Sure it has a lot of card text, but it essentially doesn't do much at all. If you add a " You can only use one effect once per turn clause" like cards like this have then you basically have a boss monster that gives you mediocre options. If anything it is underwhelming.

Well, after testing the card with the edits I mentioned above, the Trib 3 effect is quite good as the Trib 1 effect. It's basically Card Trader on steroids. The Trib 2 effect never goes off, but I think this might be more because of Decoy Dragon Syndrome than it not being good.

If I'm going to cut it down to two effects, I'm opting for a protective effect and one that isn't protective, like the one I mentioned. I sorta want to keep the Trib 4 effect because the non-targeting disrupting kill sounds pretty cool in theory. If I put the Card Trader effect back to its original cost, I don't want to remove the shuffle since it'd be a +2 (leftover Token + draw). Plus, I don't want to keep only the draw and the kill effects since the card is supposed to be protected by its minions somehow. Maybe I could give it its 2 and 4 effects (and maaaybe buff the 2 to offer battle protection)?

Archived