[Archetype] Global Defense Squadron

VCR_CAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5LCmQC_KeU

The GDS, fighting the good fight against virally-infected machines alongside more vehicular-occupied allies. Gonna post these guys here as well since they'll find their way on DP; but their effects aren't at the point where I'm happy enough to test them. So bam:

[spoiler= Maindeck Monsters]

7zdp6T8.png?1

G.D.S. Calypso, The Cunning

Water

Level 4

Warrior / Effect

You can only use 1 effect of "G.D.S. Calypso, The Cunning" per turn, and only once that turn. When this card is Normal Summoned, you can Special Summon 1 "G.D.S." monster from your hand in face-up Defense Position. If your opponent controls more cards than you; you can target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls: It loses 500 ATK or DEF until the end of your opponent's next turn. You can only control 1 face-up "G.D.S. Calypso" monster.

ATK/1600 DEF/1300

V8WsXVh.png?1

G.D.S. Rhea, the Relentless

Fire

Level 4

Warrior / Effect

You can only use 1 effect of "G.D.S. Rhea, the Relentless" per turn, and only once that turn. When this card is Normal Summoned, you can target 1 non-Synchro "G.D.S." monster in your Graveyard: Special Summon that target in face-up Defense Position. If your opponent controls more cards than you; you can target 1 face-up "G.D.S." Monster you control: It gains 500 ATK or DEF until the end of your opponent's next turn. You can only control 1 face-up "G.D.S. Rhea" monster.

ATK1700 DEF/1200

LH9xVav.png?1

G.D.S. Prometheus, The Patient

Wind

Level 4

Warrior / Effect

You can only use 1 effect of "G.D.S. Prometheus, The Patient" per turn, and only once that turn. When this card is Normal Summoned, you can target 1 set Spell or Trap Card your opponent controls: That set card  cannot be activated until the end of this turn. Your opponent cannot activate the targeted card in response to this card's activation. If your opponent controls more cards than you, you can target 1 face-up "G.D.S." Monster you control: Until the end of your opponent's next turn, it cannot be destroyed by the effects of Spell or Trap Cards. You can only control 1 face-up "G.D.S. Prometheus" monster.

ATK/1800 DEF/1100

QLb0tNp.png?1

G.D.S. Dione, The Daring

Earth

Level 4

Warrior / Effect

You can only use 1 effect of "G.D.S. Dione, The Daring" per turn, and only once that turn. When this card is normal Summoned, you can target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls: Negate that target's effects until the end of this turn. If your opponent controls more cards than you, you can target 1 face-up "G.D.S." monster you control: Until the end of your opponent's next turn, it cannot be destroyed by monster effects. You can only control 1 face-up "G.D.S. Dione" monster.

ATK/1900 DEF/1000

FfNDFzE.png?1

G.D.S. Matrix Gamma

Light

Level 2

Psychic / Tuner / Effect

You can equip this card, from your hand or side of the field, to a face-up "G.D.S." monster you control. Monsters equipped with this card gain 500 DEF. If the monster equipped with this card would be destroyed by card effect, destroy this card instead. During your turn, you can Synchro Summon using the monster this card is equipped to and any other "G.D.S. Matrix" monsters equipped to it. If this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard, you can add 1 Warrior-Type "G.D.S." Monster from your deck to your hand. You can only use each effect of "G.D.S. Matrix Gamma" once per turn. You can only equip one "G.D.S. Matrix" card to a non-Synchro Monster at a time.

ATK/  0 DEF/   0

v7asu1U.png?1

G.D.S. Matrix Delta

Light

Level 2

Psychic / Tuner / Effect

You can equip this card, from your hand or side of the field, to a face-up "G.D.S." monster you control. Monsters equipped with this card gain 500 ATK. If the monster equipped with this card would be destroyed by battle, destroy this card instead. During your turn, you can Synchro Summon using the monster this card is equipped to and any other "G.D.S. Matrix" monsters equipped to it. If this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard, you can add 1 "G.D.S." Spell or Trap Card from your deck to your hand. You can only use each effect of "G.D.S. Matrix Delta" once per turn. You can only equip one "G.D.S. Matrix" card to a non-Synchro "G.D.S." monster at a time.

ATK/   0 DEF/   0

[/spoiler]

[spoiler= Extra Deck Monsters]

WeGcyuR.png?1

G.D.S. Calypso Alpha

Light

Level 6

Warrior / Synchro / Effect

1 "G.D.S. Matrix" Tuner + "G.D.S. Calypso, The Cunning"
When this card is Synchro Summoned, you gain 500 LP. While your opponent controls more cards than you, all monsters your opponent controls lose ATK equal to the difference x200. During either player's turn, you can send this face-up card to your Extra Deck: Special summon 1 "G.D.S. Calypso, the Cunning" and equip it with 1 "G.D.S. Matrix" Tuner from your Graveyard or your hand. You can only use each effect of "G.D.S. Calypso Alpha" once per turn.

ATK/2300 DEF/2000

bvbi7Ia.png?1

G.D.S. Rhea Alpha

Light

Level 6

1 "G.D.S. Matrix" Tuner + "G.D.S. Rhea, The Relentless"
When this card is Synchro Summoned, your opponent takes 500 damage. While your opponent controls more cards than you, all monsters you control gain ATK equal to the difference x200. During either player's turn, you can send this face-up card to your Extra Deck: Special summon 1 "G.D.S. Rhea, the Relentless" from your Graveyard and equip it with 1 "G.D.S. Matrix" Tuner from your Graveyard or your hand. You can only use each effect of "G.D.S. Rhea Alpha" once per turn.

ATK/2400 DEF/1900

qhcBJFj.png?1

G.D.S. Prometheus Alpha
Light
Level 6

1 "G.D.S. Matrix" Tuner + "G.D.S. Prometheus, The Patient"
When this card is Synchro Summoned; you can target 1 Spell or Trap Card your opponent controls: Destroy it. While your opponent controls more cards than you, this card cannot be targeted or destroyed by Spell or Trap Cards. During either player's turn, you can send this face-up card to your Extra Deck: Special summon 1 "G.D.S. Prometheus, the Patient" from your Graveyard and equip it with 1 "G.D.S. Matrix" Tuner from your Graveyard or your hand. You can only use each effect of "G.D.S. Prometheus Alpha" once per turn.

ATK/2500 DEF/1800

0jvzgRI.png?1

G.D.S. Dione Alpha
Light
Level 6

1 "G.D.S. Matrix" Tuner + "G.D.S. Dione, The Daring"
When this card is Synchro Summoned, you can target 1 monster your opponent controls: Destroy it. While your opponent controls more cards than you, this card cannot be targeted or destroyed by monster effects. During either player's turn, you can send this face-up card to your Extra Deck: Special summon 1 "G.D.S. Dione, the Daring" from your Graveyard and equip it with 1 "G.D.S. Matrix" Tuner from your Graveyard or your hand. You can only use each effect of "G.D.S. Dione Alpha" once per turn.

ATK/2600 DEF/1700

hAKjiez.png?1

G.D.S. Matrix Omega
Light
Level 10
Machine / Synchro / Effect

2 "G.D.S. Matrix" Tuners + 1 G.D.S. Synchro Monster
This card gains 200 ATK and DEF for every card your opponent controls. Once per turn, you can target 1 level 4 "G.D.S." monster you control: Send it to the Graveyard, then Special Summon 1 "G.D.S." Synchro Monster from your Extra Deck with 700 more ATK and DEF than the original ATK and DEF of the monster sent. All other face-up "G.D.S." monsters you control gain 300 ATK.

ATK/3000 DEF/3000

[/spoiler]

[spoiler= Spells and Trap]

X5E29VX.png?1

G.D.S. Matrix Lab
Spell / Field
When you Normal Summon a Warrior-Type "G.D.S." Monster, you can discard 1 card: Add 1 "G.D.S. Matrix" monster from your deck to your hand. If your opponent controls more cards than you; you can target 1 "G.D.S. Matrix" Tuner Monster in your Graveyard, and equip it to a face-up "G.D.S." monster you control. You can only  use 1 effect of "G.D.S. Matrix Lab" per turn, and only once that turn.

MKH3qzh.png?1

G.D.S. Matrix Proto
Spell / Equip
You can only equip this card to a "G.D.S." Monster. The equipped monster gains 700 ATK and DEF. You can send the equipped monster to the Graveyard: Special Summon 1 "G.D.S." Synchro Monster from your Extra Deck with 700 more ATK and DEF than the original ATK and DEF of the monster tributed. If the monster Special Summoned by this card's effect is destroyed, you take damage equal to the Special Summoned monster's ATK.  You can only equip one "G.D.S. Matrix" card to a non-Synchro "G.D.S." monster at a time.

E7YBm8O.png?1

G.D.S. Tactical Warfare
Trap / Continuous
Face-Up Level 4 "G.D.S." monsters you control gain 300 ATK and DEF. Once per turn, you can Special Summon 1 "Matrix Augment Token" to your opponent's side of the field (Machine-Type/LIGHT/Level 4/ATK 2000/DEF 2000.) Remove any tokens Special Summoned by "G.D.S. Tactical Warfare" during the End Phase.

[/spoiler]

As always, see the cards in glorious album form here: http://imgur.com/a/3UKr9

Yeah, as I think it over I can't say I'm totally behind the floating, either. At the same time, I feel like there needs to be more that makes the tuners a little more special, and I'll have to change around some effects. So stay tuned as I brainstorm more for the archetype.

Alright, made a lot of changes (as I said; I wasn't happy with it before!) So here they are!
- Cut one Matrix. Existing Matrix effects changed from hand-traps to equip-monsters.
- Synchros lost the Spirit Bounce and got, instead, a not-as-good Spirit Beast Bounce

- Matrix Omega was changed to better suit this change

- Matrix Lab changed to a field spell with a different effect
- Unstable Matrix changed to Matrix Proto as an Equip Spell with a slightly different effect

Hmmmm....with all the cards you have that can bring out the Synchros for free, there are a lot of looping shenanigans that could come out of just tagging in an out.

While the Matrix Monsters prevent that from being a major issue, I can see some crazy stuff going on.  You may want to but a summoning limit on the more powerful level 6 synchros like Cailipso so you don't wind up drawing 3 cards for no reason.

Oh, don't worry. Each synchro already has an OPT clause on each of their effects. Even if you do manage to summon him twice, you can't draw a second card the next time you summon him. Granted, I also forgot to make his effect equipping the matrix tuner instead of just summoning it.

EDIT: Did some quick fixes; nothing gameplay changing. Calypso now equips the tuner instead of summoning it, like he should; a typo on Lab is fixed; and Matrix Proto now specifies from where it's summoning the Synchro Monster.

• 3 weeks later...

Why are the 4 based G.D.S. +1's on the summon?

Why are all the syncs end up to +0 or +1 on the summon bar Omega? Well take that back since they can tag out during either players turn they aren't really +0's either its all plusses.

Also do tokens count as cards controlled?

While I don't have a real problem with all of the +ing I just find that there is a lot of all purpose +ing. Either you are very consistent with the search or you do some good stuff like -ing your opponent. I don't think you should be able to do both.

Tokens count as cards controlled.

The design of the deck is supposed to be a kind of controlled control. You want to keep a balance where your opponent controls more cards so that you can get stronger effects off of your own monsters, but at the same time keep them from getting too far ahead. The design is to try and maintain field presence with as few cards as possible, in short. I might train back a few of the effects; particularly Dione and Prometheus Alpha and shove them down 1 card that's popped instead of two.

And, of course, to fit the theme of field presence with as little as possible, the idea was to have each monster do a little more but limited in that you can't have more than one of the same kind out, and with how it's worded you can't just do that with the synchros; but to avoid the trope of a card that does everything, they get the D-Ruler treatment in that you have to choose what you want them to do. I also try to keep them on specific themes for each so they that they don't try to do everything.

Of course, that doesn't mean I think I did a perfect job of that. Overall I'm going to go back and look at each monster and rethinking any kind of plussing effects and train it back so advantage isn't such a prominent factor of the deck.

Big Changes, Everyone!

• Calypso the Cunning's effects were changed: On Normal Summon he can SS from the hand. If the opponent controls more, he can decrease a monster's ATK or DEF by 500 until the end of the opponent's next turn.
  • Rhea the Relentless's effects were changed: On Normal Summon he can SS from the Grave. If the opponent controls more, he can increase a monster's ATK or DEF by 500 until the end of the opponent's next turn.
  • Prometheus the Patient's effects were changed: On Normal Summon he can prevent a set spell or trap from activating until the end of the turn. If the opponent controls more, he can target 1 monster you control and that monster can't be destroyed by spells or traps until the end of the opponent's next turn.
  • Dione the Daring's effects were changed: On Normal Summon he can negate the effects of 1 face-up monster until the end of the turn. If the opponent controls more, he can target 1 monster you control and that monster can't be destroyed by monster effects until the end of the opponent's next turn.
  • Gamma Matrix lost the stat  boost. If it's destroyed by battle, you can search out a warrior G.D.S.
  • Delta Matrix lost the stat boost. If it's destroyed by battle, you can search out a G.D.S. spell or trap.
  • Calypso Alpha's effects were changed: It increases LP by 500 on Synchro Summon.
  • Rhea Alpha's effects were change: It deals 500 damage on Synchro Summon.
  • Prometheus Alpha's Summon effect was toned down by 50%
  • Dione Alpha's Summon effect was toned down by 50%
  • Matrix Lab was retooled to add a Matrix searching effect, and its equip-from-grave effect was changed as well.

Archived