Dragon Ball Super

Stronger, maybe, but I think when it comes down to the four- Yamcha, Master Roshi, Tien, and Chaotzu- that Master Roshi is still probably the most skilled out of them. After all they're the weakest and, let's face it, only Master Roshi has remained ready to fight.

Or maybe Master Roshi just has some techniques that no one else can use or just fills a specific role they need perfectly.

I feel Master Roshi also fills in the role of a coach/fighter.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Master Roshi always had the best commentary to fights he's spectated. Whether it was clarifying something or having an emotional response, he's consistently entertained me through that. And yes, he is the best suited to be a coach.

I just feel bad since there's no reason he couldn't have come too.

But anyways, I want to see Tien get some cool action too. No one talks about it, but he has all these other skills outside of flying and energy beams that he hasn't used in ages. He should grow four arms and use shadow clones again, with the latter being improved to be equal to his full strength. 

Imagine some crazy barrage attack with 16 arms or 16 Dodon Rays.

• 3 weeks later...

I kinda had a feeling Universe 6 was gonna be for non-canon stuff. Or at least I wanted it to be, but I'm still disappointed. You can't tell me the Universe Survival Arc would'nt been so much better with a teenage Trunks and Goten, and a semi-trained Uub. Then Cabbe would've had time to properly train and master other forms (maybe even ssj4, I dunno since they're going this route), Golden Frost could've been a thing, and so many other possibilities. But I won't rant.

Watching purely for the Gods from other worlds and Femme Broly; first canon female Super Saiyan and Legendary Super Saiyan. At least it's canon right? Gotta profit on nostalgia somehow...

Huh...color me intrigued.

I kept pausing the video to get a look at all the gods of destruction. Some look interesting, others...are different. I'm just glad it's only Beerus and Champa that look like Egyptian cats and that there's a huge variation in design overall.

I think this will probably go on to be the most memorable arc in Super, depending how long it goes on for. 

Now everyone's going to switch to asking WEN BROLADY

I kinda had a feeling Universe 6 was gonna be for non-canon stuff. Or at least I wanted it to be, but I'm still disappointed. You can't tell me the Universe Survival Arc would'nt been so much better with a teenage Trunks and Goten, and a semi-trained Uub. Then Cabbe would've had time to properly train and master other forms (maybe even ssj4, I dunno since they're going this route), Golden Frost could've been a thing, and so many other possibilities. But I won't rant.

Watching purely for the Gods from other worlds and Femme Broly; first canon female Super Saiyan and Legendary Super Saiyan. At least it's canon right? Gotta profit on nostalgia somehow...

I personally like the team we have. Call me bias, but I rather have 17, Roshi, and Tien then Goten and Trunks. I want to see the humans working together to take out big foes than the usual "Throw MOAR power!!"

Huh...color me intrigued.

I kept pausing the video to get a look at all the gods of destruction. Some look interesting, others...are different. I'm just glad it's only Beerus and Champa that look like Egyptian cats and that there's a huge variation in design overall.

I think this will probably go on to be the most memorable arc in Super, depending how long it goes on for. 

Now everyone's going to switch to asking WEN BROLADY

We have a Joker and Harley Quinn God of Destruction and Angel. That universe must be terrifying.

I'm sorry but yes she has Broly's hair style, but that also looks very similar to Trunk's hair and physic when he went Buff Super Saiyan. So while I want to believe they'd finally make Broly canon I want to hedge my expectations just a tiny bit.

Unless someone says "She reminds me of Broly" or something to that effect, then Broly more than likely isn't canon. Just the form of Legendary Super Saiyan.

While the FemBroly doesn't mean Broly is canon, there's absolutely no way that isn't the Legendary Super Saiyan transformation. SSJ Grade 3 and LSS are similar, but the green tint in her transformation is almost undeniable proof, you can't confuse that with any other known form. If it's not LSS, then it is... just with a different name...

I also said a teenage Trunks and Goten specially for the reason that ofc they'll continuously get shafted due to age and lack of training. Didn't stop them from using Gohan at all. But I digress, the team is okay. It's kinda nice to see 17 again, Tien is constantly training so heck yeah, but Roshi just really doesn't sit well with me all. This tells me that most of the fighters are throwaways with maybe 1 or 2 from each universe that actually matter, though somewhat of a given.

I'm probably also pretty biased. Not only is Gotenks my favorite character, but Trunks and Goten (especially) are just so underrated and have so much room for growth character-wise. When people think Trunks, they usually think Future Trunks, and Goten rarely gets any screen time or lines at all even if he was made purely for Gotenks. But again I digress, I have tons of issues with this arc (and DBS in general), but I'll still watch here and there.

While the FemBroly doesn't mean Broly is canon, there's absolutely no way that isn't the Legendary Super Saiyan transformation. SSJ Grade 3 and LSS are similar, but the green tint in her transformation is almost undeniable proof, you can't confuse that with any other known form. If it's not LSS, then it is... just with a different name...

I also said a teenage Trunks and Goten specially for the reason that ofc they'll continuously get shafted due to age and lack of training. Didn't stop them from using Gohan at all. But I digress, the team is okay. It's kinda nice to see 17 again, Tien is constantly training so heck yeah, but Roshi just really doesn't sit well with me all. This tells me that most of the fighters are throwaways with maybe 1 or 2 from each universe that actually matter, though somewhat of a given.

I'm probably also pretty biased. Not only is Gotenks my favorite character, but Trunks and Goten (especially) are just so underrated and have so much room for growth character-wise. When people think Trunks, they usually think Future Trunks, and Goten rarely gets any screen time or lines at all even if he was made purely for Gotenks. But again I digress, I have tons of issues with this arc (and DBS in general), but I'll still watch here and there.

The thing is, Goten and Trunks should have aged by now. the U6 tournament took place in Age 780 which is the same age as when Trunks and Gohan fought the androids in the alternate timeline. I think they just forgot.

You can get here because the Buu Saga was age 774. End of Z was 784. Pan is 4 at the end of Z. She was born in age 780. And Pan already exists in Dragonball Super. 

Not to mention the lack of pupils in her eyes.

I think the other reason Goten's gotten the shaft lately is because Masako Nozawa's older now and they probably don't want to overwork her. Which is a shame, since there were some good moments with Kid Trunks in the Goku Black arc, but Goten wasn't around for any of that.

Gohan's kind of an anomaly since he wasn't really raised in peaceful times. He was 4 when his dad died, went through insane survival training as a toddler under the "Demon King," saw his mentor die alongside other brutal deaths, was beaten to a pulp by aliens, saw alien children murdered sadistically, was beaten to a pulp by aliens again but this time with a broken neck, underwent training for three years, lived in the hostile environment of the Hyperbolic Time Chamber for a year, and then had the fate of the entire world placed on his shoulders where his cockiness cost his dad his life. And his dad was only in the picture for about half of that.

I don't blame Chi-Chi for being pissed at Goku for dragging him into all of that, makes sense for Goten to be raised much differently.

The thing is, Goten and Trunks should have aged by now. the U6 tournament took place in Age 780 which is the same age as when Trunks and Gohan fought the androids in the alternate timeline. I think they just forgot.

You can get here because the Buu Saga was age 774. End of Z was 784. Pan is 4 at the end of Z. She was born in age 780. And Pan already exists in Dragonball Super. 

You're right, I've also noticed this, but I've ignored it. Toriyama doesn't remember things well and openly admitted to forgetting several important things and characters. Don't know if his memory is just bad, or he's just biting off more than he can chew. His own fault really for trying to squeeze things in this little time frame. 

You're right, I've also noticed this, but I've ignored it. Toriyama doesn't remember things well and openly admitted to forgetting several important things and characters. Don't know if his memory is just bad, or he's just biting off more than he can chew. His own fault really for trying to squeeze things in this little time frame. 

Well you also got to remember that Toriyama is only acting as a supervisor. The people at FUNimation are writing the story with Toriyama only stepping in to see if things work with his idea/heart of the franchise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found Goku's lack of concern for starting the tournament very concerning despite Beerus' warning. Somewhat reminiscent of him during the Cell Games and using Gohan despite everyone losing and getting beaten to death. During the Majin Buu Saga I kinda felt like he learned from that, but that might be my imagination cause he still technically toyed with Buu and passed on destroying him to someone else. After getting older, you would think he'd put some things aside for the greater good. I can't with this man anymore...

Every problem I came back here with aside, I am still somewhat enjoying the series. New Alien Guy in the intro really piques my interest. Apparently having no hair means you're strong enough to rival Goku. Majin Buu is also stepping it up, but I kinda want him to also achieve a new form. Maybe somehow go skinny again, but not pure form or turn evil or anything, and just as a temporary power-up. Just an idea I thought would be cool. A stronger Piccolo would be cool too.

Maybe it's just me, but the Universe 9 Supreme Kai looks an awful like an older Zamasu, and tends to act psycho like him as well.

When your Supreme Kai and God of Destruction is lowkey evil, kinda sets a dim bar for the whole Universe.

Speaking of which, God of Destruction 10 is gonna hafta write an apology letter for Zamasu and Black. They better treat Universe 7 like the best of friends. Any smart aleck remark or snarky response and I'm comin' n through the screen...!

I found Goku's lack of concern for starting the tournament very concerning despite Beerus' warning. Somewhat reminiscent of him during the Cell Games and using Gohan despite everyone losing and getting beaten to death. During the Majin Buu Saga I kinda felt like he learned from that, but that might be my imagination cause he still technically toyed with Buu and passed on destroying him to someone else. After getting older, you would think he'd put some things aside for the greater good. I can't with this man anymore...

Every problem I came back here with aside, I am still somewhat enjoying the series. New Alien Guy in the intro really piques my interest. Apparently having no hair means you're strong enough to rival Goku. Majin Buu is also stepping it up, but I kinda want him to also achieve a new form. Maybe somehow go skinny again, but not pure form or turn evil or anything, and just as a temporary power-up. Just an idea I thought would be cool. A stronger Piccolo would be cool too.

People have been talking about Goku's attitude lately. It does seem a little uncharacteristic that he's being this ambivalent when multiple universes are at stake. I'm pretty sure any damage from this arc will be restored by the Super Dragon Balls, but still. When the God of Destruction thinks you're a dangerous threat, that says a lot.

Masako made a video surmising that Goku's saiyan side is becoming a little more prominent. Like some of his primal instincts are slowly bubbling to the surface after 40~ years since the head injury.

But the other thing is the anime/Funimation portrayed Goku as a more heroic Superman type of character. They toned down his selfishness and made him fight for good rather than doing what he wanted to do. Toriyama wishes he was portrayed as more selfish.

• 2 weeks later...

Never rooted for a villain in DBZ before, but I wanted Bergamo to win so bad it hurt...

I was going to go into a big rant about Selfishness vs. Being a legitimate threat to the universe, as well as borderline narcissism blah blah, but I refuse to be triggered by Trolliyama. Goku's attitude towards this whole situation is so...- I can't deal with this... So conflicted as a DB fan. Is it just me?

I'll just sit in my corner dreaming about the Gods of Destruction sealing Goku under a mountain for thousands of years, or Gohan pulling a Luke Skywalker killing his dad for the betterment of the multiverse...

I mean, what was Goku supposed to do? They knew about SS Blue so if he didn't transform, they would've known he held back and thrown out Bergamo's win condition anyways. 

I do feel conflicted, but I'm intrigued by the storytelling Toei could do here if they want to. There could be a big internal conflict within the Universe 7 team if they all find out Goku got them into this predicament, which could be deadly in a big battle royale where teamwork will be crucial. And if they go the extra mile, explore the fact that more of Goku's inner saiyan savagery is seeping more into his personality over time through his neglect and carelessness. 

I do think Zen-Oh saying he was going to obliterate some of the universes anyways helps Goku's case a bit, but that wasn't how it was presented at the onset. In other words, I think he should be slammed with more accountability in this arc for his recklessness.

And if not, the manga's good at this sort of thing, fine-tuning what the anime did by paying more attention to detail and fleshing out explanations and the series' inner logic.

I mean, what was Goku supposed to do? They knew about SS Blue so if he didn't transform, they would've known he held back and thrown out Bergamo's win condition anyways. 

Didn't mean this episode, everything in General. Goku did what what he was suppose to do in the fight (adding Kaioken seemed a bit much imo, should've been something saved for later and used the excuse that it damages his body). It's what he's doing and how he's acting outside the ring.

I like this idea of it being his saiyan blood but I doubt the anime will go anywhere near this reasoning. They'll probably say something about something he ate making him evil before something "reasonable"... But I can only hope. I'm keeping my bar low...

It is what it is. Goku aside, a Battle Royale was the reasonable way to go, but I thought that'd at least do Universe A vs. Universe B. Not everyone on the field at once; seems like a clusterfck. The ruleset made me laugh cause it's against everything Universe 9 tried to do to win and what Universe 7 tried to do in the first place. 

My only problem with the current Goku is that he is way too badass for his and the show's own good, I mean Bergamo yelled at him and told him as well as all universes present that he was evil and Goku shrugged it and basically told all universes "f**k ya'll just fight me". Thats a whole new thug level right there. On a side note foreshadowing for SSBKK so early should clear way for future power ups and put "the form in the new opening is kaioken" theory to rest. Gohan being set up for being the teamwork instructor is kinda weird since he would need the mother of all power-ups to be close to the power scaling of super..

• 1 month later...

Majin Buu is also stepping it up, but I kinda want him to also achieve a new form. Maybe somehow go skinny again, but not pure form or turn evil or anything, and just as a temporary power-up. Just an idea I thought would be cool.

I'll take it. Of course if they want to avoid any more plot holes, he has to go back to being fat eventually. LOVE the fact that he's actually picking up on strategy; this makes seem even more of a threat. I'm also glad Bulla was born in her correct year. But Trunks and Goten not growing or aging like they're suppose to is still a plot hole I can't ignore. You're usually looking at them all the time.

But as inconsistent as DB is, I wanted to talk about a couple things;

[spoiler=A) How strong Universe 7 is/should be] 

Goku, Vegeta, Buu, and Gohan aside, I wanted to talk about the rest of the roster and get/give thoughts on how strong everyone is or should be. Any form of power-scaling in DB is just off, but it's nice to have an idea. In terms of power, Roshi is for-sure the weakest. I think even Yamcha surpassed Roshi before we even got to DBZ. And I also doubt he still trains much, so by Gohan logic he should be even weaker than that. Only reason he was able to fight Frieza Shoulders was just because. Krillin got a deus ex boost so idrc. Tien should be the strongest human atm since he's always training, but that's maybe puts him above 18. Piccolo's strength is kinda vague, but I'd probably put him under Buu, and 18 under Piccolo. 17 got a job as a Wild Life Preserver and Poacher hunter or something, so he might have stayed on his toes, or gotten stronger. We'll see. In the next preview it looks like he's gotten stronger.

[spoiler=B) Potential Characters from other Universes] 

-I just wanted to hear some creative and fun ideas from everyone else on possible characters. The G.o.D. from Universe 3 is based off Luud from GT so I'm wondering if we'll see any more Machine Mutants/Androids based off GT there.

-Hard to see anyone from Universe 10 being that strong after Zamasu. But then again, other than the gods, I don't think they specified how many mortals/other planets they actually destroyed.

-Pride Troopers remind me of a weird mix between Power Rangers and Green Lanterns. I also want there to be an evil one among them (noticeably a different color). Like Frost for U6, not everyone fighting for their universe has to be all evil or all good.

-Highly unlikely, but since the G.o.D. for U9 reminds me of a short Ganon, I thought it would be funny to see a Link inspired character... So basically Tapion.

I'll take it. Of course if they want to avoid any more plot holes, he has to go back to being fat eventually. LOVE the fact that he's actually picking up on strategy; this makes seem even more of a threat. I'm also glad Bulla was born in her correct year. But Trunks and Goten not growing or aging like they're suppose to is still a plot hole I can't ignore. You're usually looking at them all the time.

But as inconsistent as DB is, I wanted to talk about a couple things;

[spoiler=A) How strong Universe 7 is/should be] 

Goku, Vegeta, Buu, and Gohan aside, I wanted to talk about the rest of the roster and get/give thoughts on how strong everyone is or should be. Any form of power-scaling in DB is just off, but it's nice to have an idea. In terms of power, Roshi is for-sure the weakest. I think even Yamcha surpassed Roshi before we even got to DBZ. And I also doubt he still trains much, so by Gohan logic he should be even weaker than that. Only reason he was able to fight Frieza Shoulders was just because. Krillin got a deus ex boost so idrc. Tien should be the strongest human atm since he's always training, but that's maybe puts him above 18. Piccolo's strength is kinda vague, but I'd probably put him under Buu, and 18 under Piccolo. 17 got a job as a Wild Life Preserver and Poacher hunter or something, so he might have stayed on his toes, or gotten stronger. We'll see. In the next preview it looks like he's gotten stronger.

[spoiler=B) Potential Characters from other Universes] 

-I just wanted to hear some creative and fun ideas from everyone else on possible characters. The G.o.D. from Universe 3 is based off Luud from GT so I'm wondering if we'll see any more Machine Mutants/Androids based off GT there.

-Hard to see anyone from Universe 10 being that strong after Zamasu. But then again, other than the gods, I don't think they specified how many mortals/other planets they actually destroyed.

-Pride Troopers remind me of a weird mix between Power Rangers and Green Lanterns. I also want there to be an evil one among them (noticeably a different color). Like Frost for U6, not everyone fighting for their universe has to be all evil or all good.

-Highly unlikely, but since the G.o.D. for U9 reminds me of a short Ganon, I thought it would be funny to see a Link inspired character... So basically Tapion.

It does miff me a bit...Trunks is around the same age he was in the start of History of Trunks and he looked older there than he does now.

[spoiler=A]

Goku, Vegeta, Gohan and Buu are the top tier in the team. Even if we're not clear how much power Gohan lost, it's clear to me he's going to bounce back to being the 3rd strongest from the marketing we've seen and his involvement in the arc so far.

Then mid-tier of the team is Piccolo and the Androids. They should all be around the same strength, maybe 17's a little stronger than Piccolo since they had an even fight, but he probably would've won since he didn't have to waste stamina.

Low-tier team would be the humans: Krillin, Tien and Roshi. all bald and beautiful

Krillin was the strongest after coming back from Namek and it was said he's the strongest human in Buu arc. I know he didn't train for a while but he's probably still holding that spot. Either way, I don't think there's that big a gap between him and Tien. I think Roshi will excel at using strategy in the tournament; they wouldn't bring him on the team if he wasn't going to be doing cool sheet later. But he should be the weakest since Yamcha is stronger.

[spoiler=B]

That'd be interesting to see if Universe 3 has more homages to GT. Maybe someone similar to Ledgic could be on their team, or Rilldo.

Maybe Universe 10 might not be as strong, but not necessarily. It's possible Goku Black pulled a Frieza and blew up planets before their warriors could retaliate.

I don't have any specific wishes on what kinds of characters we see so long as they're interesting. They're hyping up Jiren right now so hopefully he'll be a new favorite.

I appreciate them taking their time with the arc's pacing right now. This was a great episode with showing off the Pride Troopers, giving us more of a look at all the Kais and the little fight with Goku and Buu. The fact that he's skinny now is kind of funny.

• 1 month later...

[spoiler=Current thoughts on past arc]

Really liked the Gohan stuff. I didn't realize Mystic was an actual form and was more of a state where he raised his power to the max. I'm glad that he pushed Goku to use SSB Kaio-ken.

I know the arc's pacing has been pretty slow, but it's been cool to see the glimpses into the other Universes alongside highlighting the side characters for an episode or two. I liked Krillin and 18's, 17's first episode was fun too (the space pirates bit was dumb though).

I'm really liking what Caulifla and Kale are bringing to the table. Female Super Saiyans are hype, Caulifla seems like a prodigy too from unlocking SS2 within the same short timeframe as SS. We're probably gonna see her get SS3 during the tournament.

I want a future arc to have Goku, Vegeta, and whoever else visit Universe 6's saiyan world. I think there'd be a lot of fun storytelling to do there.

Also gonna make a prediction now and say Universe 6 will win the tournament and Champa will repay the favor to Beerus by saving the rest of the Universes and/or Universe 7 with the Super Dragon Balls.

Archived