[MTG] Mock Moxen

TAG

Made some cheap Mexican Moxen knockoffs with Flame Dragon's help.

Mock Sapphire

{0}

Artifact

[CARD NAME] enters the battlefield tapped and doesn't untap during your next untap step.

T: Add U to your mana pool.  [CARD NAME] doesn't untap during your next untap step.

The other four Mock Moxen function the same with their respective colors.  The way I'm assuming/hoping it works is as follows:

Turn 1: Mock Moxen comes in tapped
Turn 2: Does not untap
Turn 3: Untaps; you tap it to use

Turn 4: Does not untap
Turn 5: Untaps; you tap to use

etc.

(if it doesn't work this way, how would I phrase the rules text to actually do the above?)

Not sure if it's fair since I'm not very good at balancing; I was trying to see how close we can get to the original Moxen without making them broken as hell.

Since you now have to wait for it each time you use it for mana, the acceleration is greatly checked and also gets you to consider when you want that mana. It's still a free Artifact for anything concerning Storm or Affinity, but it's something.

Flame and I were discussing removing the second "does not untap" clause, but we were worried that would make it too fast or something.  I dunno.

Maybe have only 1 untap clause or something. Changing the first condition to a simple comes-in-tapped already seems pretty dece when you're already using it for mana every second turn afterwards.

Of course, we have Voltaic Key/Unwinding Clock problems, but those tend to also apply to many, many other artifacts for abuse.

Maybe have only 1 untap clause or something. Changing the first condition to a simple comes-in-tapped already seems pretty dece when you're already using it for mana every second turn afterwards.

Of course, we have Voltaic Key/Unwinding Clock problems, but those tend to also apply to many, many other artifacts for abuse.

The way Flame put it, he figured he would rather remove the second one because he feels that how out of control it can get would be determined more by how soon you can use it rather than how frequently you can use it.  He's more well-versed in MTG than I, so I wouldn't be very good with figuring that sort of thing out.

Honestly, just don't attempt the moxen anyways. There is no way to make them balanced. You're going to be trying to nerf them too much to be any good, and when they are good: They'll be really good.

Mox Opal was the closet thing to a balance and it is still incredibly powerful.

You're probably right, but I thought it would be fun to try my hand at it anyways.  I wanted to try and make these Moxen closer to the originals in that each individual one taps for a specific color (as opposed to Chrome/Diamond/Opal, which can tap for a different color depending on the circumstances).

Honestly, just don't attempt the moxen anyways. There is no way to make them balanced. You're going to be trying to nerf them too much to be any good, and when they are good: They'll be really good.

Mox Opal was the closet thing to a balance and it is still incredibly powerful.

See, the problem is WotC loves to play with the fire that is the power nine and I don't see that changing anytime soon. The Mox and Lotus are the hardest to get right but I do think its doable.

As it stands I do think the version that comes into play tapped and doesn't untap for a turn could be fair (at least for older formats). Since, as TAG already said, the version that comes into play tapped and doesn't untap the turn after use is far more likely to lead to degenerate things since the first is available turn 3 where as the second is available turn 2.

Archived