[MtG] Dae Breaks Control

Passage of Rumination: You can't have different targeting conditions for the spell based on if [W] was spent to cast it or not, because that isn't determined until after targets are chosen. The wording for PoR should be "Counter target spell if it's converted mana cost is 3 or less. If [W] was spent to cast Passage of Rumination, counter that spell instead."
This card seems comparable to, if not more powerful than, Counterspell, especially for WU Control. Then again, this is about breaking control, so maybe the ideas aren't meant to be completely balanced.

Thought Mending: What does it meant to "draw a cad"?
You've essentially made Accumulating Knowledge one mana cheaper and that doesn't account for the mirror match. I'm both happy and wary of this design, but again, this is about 'breaking control', so I don't expect that it should be balanced.

Quiescence: Change the wording to reflect its own name rather than Disrupting Shoal.
You've made a strictly better Disrupting Shoal, which isn't saying much. However, you have in turn made a card noticeably weaker than yet still somewhat comparable to Force of Will. I am not excited about this prospect, but I will once fire off the broken record 'meant to break control'.

Censure: I'm quite fine with this idea - it's designed to hit aggro creatures that are too fast to be counterspelled while allowing Mana Leak to take care of the CMC 3 or higher. This suffers from being very narrow (as intended) and probably wouldn't do much in draft, but I could see possible constructed usage. [NOTE: While this card hurts aggro, it only helps to accentuate control's weakness to midrange.]

My diagnosis: These could maybe be printed in Standard if the development crew wanted to push Control for some reason, but I highly doubt it.

Read the text box on Quiescence, Dae.

What are you talking about, Giga?

Passage of Rumination: You can't have different targeting conditions for the spell based on if [W] was spent to cast it or not, because that isn't determined until after targets are chosen. The wording for PoR should be "Counter target spell if it's converted mana cost is 3 or less. If [W] was spent to cast Passage of Rumination, counter that spell instead."

This card seems comparable to, if not more powerful than, Counterspell, especially for WU Control. Then again, this is about breaking control, so maybe the ideas aren't meant to be completely balanced.

Thought Mending: What does it meant to "draw a cad"?

You've essentially made Accumulating Knowledge one mana cheaper and that doesn't account for the mirror match. I'm both happy and wary of this design, but again, this is about 'breaking control', so I don't expect that it should be balanced.

Quiescence: Change the wording to reflect its own name rather than Disrupting Shoal.

You've made a strictly better Disrupting Shoal, which isn't saying much. However, you have in turn made a card noticeably weaker than yet still somewhat comparable to Force of Will. I am not excited about this prospect, but I will once fire off the broken record 'meant to break control'.

Censure: I'm quite fine with this idea - it's designed to hit aggro creatures that are too fast to be counterspelled while allowing Mana Leak to take care of the CMC 3 or higher. This suffers from being very narrow (as intended) and probably wouldn't do much in draft, but I could see possible constructed usage. [NOTE: While this card hurts aggro, it only helps to accentuate control's weakness to midrange.]

My diagnosis: These could maybe be printed in Standard if the development crew wanted to push Control for some reason, but I highly doubt it.

Fixed. Hardly even close to counterspell except for UW because of the easier casting cost.

Fixed. Of course I wouldn't want it to do something more for the last player in a Control Mirror Match, it would be way too good.

Fixed. Still hits a lot of the problems that Disrupting Shoal won't, and later becomes a Logic Knot but stronger.

Mana Leak sucks, stop mentioning that card.

Also, I don't give a sheet about standard.

[Note: Control easily beats Midrange just by going above them.] That is why I use Elspeth, Sun's Champion, Sun Titan, and Pearl Lake Ancient.

I was pointing out the typo. Out of all of these, the one that really makes me nervous is Thought Mending, due to potential in modern storm. Can you imagine this sheet with an ascension online?

I was joking. And that could make me want to play storm again. Have you ever drawn 6 cards off of a Treasure Cruise in Storm? Such a great feeling.

Archived