Miraculous Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir

Agro

So there's currently a joint production in, well, production between Zag Entertainment (France), Method Animation (Korea), and Toei Animation (Japan). It's name is the title of the thread, and it was announced in a PV a couple of years ago, of which you can see here:

However, that show still has not been put into production, because of monetary issues. And that's where this joint venture comes in. Their budget for the venture is reportedly $11.2 million USD, which even split evenly among the three studios is far more than the average budget of most anime ($2 million USD).

The plan is this: Zag Entertainment is producing their own CG Animated Television show of the same name for Europe and the US, which will begin airing Stateside on December 6th on Nickelodeon. They've recently released a trailer, which, while a little cringeworthy, gets better as it goes along and actually kinda looks interesting and is very reminiscent of some 90's anime. Others have mentioned shows like Cardcaptor Sakura, Tokyo Mew Mew, or Sailor Moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxU-Ps-TRIE

So first off, I'm going to note that it's obvious that she has a crush on his human alius and he has a crush on her superhero alius, but neither of those feelings are mutual and that seems hella cute.

Anyway, the point here is that depending on how well the western animated show does, the anime version may or may not be put into production. The joint production splits the profits among the three studios, but more importantly, it splits the burden among the three studios, which has constantly been a problem in the anime industry leading to an oversaturation of harem, ecchi and fanservice shows– which, while not necessarily a problem, is totally a funking problem, YOU LONELY PERVERTS.

Anyway, my point is that if this succeeds, we will not only be getting an anime, but would likely get more such joint ventures that could increase creativity and interesting animated shows both in the west and in Japan.

Thoughts?

P.S. Is everyone in agreement that the CG has the better design for the boy and that neither version seems to understand how bad a red skin-tight suit with black polkadots looks?

So... Is this going to be like Teen Titans, and how, despite the fact it's American-made, it uses a lot of anime mannerisms?

So the CG show is being produced by Zag Entertainment, and the anime would be handled by Toei is what I'm getting.

From the look of the CG trailer, idk how anime that side will be.

Seeing Toei's name attached to this project doesn't inspire much confidence from my part (Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold proved how little they care about the quality of their work to me). I've got a feeling I'll end up preferring the Western version over the Japanese one, if it does indeed come out someday. But the premise sounds very fun, TBH, so I may give it a chance. The idea of co-productions like this becoming more commonplace also catches my interest.

I shared this on my thumblr a good while ago, actually.

I'll be looking it up when it does finally come out. Though I'm more interested in the anime version being made: They look a little less kid-ish, and it gives off the impression that the super hero sides of their life are not just a "gonna go fight crime and come back before lunch ends" kind of deal. Other than that, I wouldn't really say that I'm biased by the anime style, and I can see their animation quality derping more than once in the actual show when/if it comes out.

Still, the CG version is pretty well done. Some of the movements are a little cringe worthy but that is kind of to be expected. In the other hand, the textures are impressive... CG really has come a long way huh?

Also, how do you feel about Nickelodeon taking it? Ever since The Legend of Korra they've had this bad reputation so many are worried if the show will be handled properly at all.

I actually really like the idea of the same story/world being told in two different ways (as in anime please don't just adapt what the CG show does, do your own thing) with two different animation mediums with two very different cultural influences. Like I'd prefer the CG to try and feel like a western show while the anime still try and feel like a japanese thing. Something about that just seems cool.

As far as this idea of increasing anime budgets and getting something other than fanservice shows I'm all for it. Sorta hoping this is a huge success so we can get that process rolling along. As has already been mentioned I don't like that Toei's involved but this is largely my bias against them for what they've done to the One Piece anime's pacing and animation quality speaking.

As far as the design ideas I will agree that the CG Cat Noir dood looks better, just less goofy mostly and while Ladybugs costume design is kinda gross in both the anime look and huge ribbon things behind her help that look a little better to me.

They'd definitely do a different story with mostly the general plot and characters in common here from CG to anime version if they end up doing both.

They are basically asking people from both sides to support the CG version and only then when it has proved successful will it start being made into anime form and I doubt they'd just copy-paste everything just as is. 

Archived