Classic/Oldschool Rock Music Thread

cr47t

Not to be pedantic, but Queen isn't rock and roll. Rock and roll was a 40s and 50s genre: Elvis, Johnny Cash, Buddy Holly etc.

Queen was super glam rock (well, for most of their well-known stuff anyway). What do want us to discuss?

Well, discuss that, or the similar music style that came in the decades afterwards. I`m not an expert on music genres, i just like listening to music that I like.

(Btw if queen isn`t rock n roll what genre are they besides bohemian rhapsody? If anyone knows, share it, it would be a nice help.)

Well, discuss that, or the similar music style that came in the decades afterwards. I`m not an expert on music genres, i just like listening to music that I like.

(Btw if queen isn`t rock n roll what genre are they besides bohemian rhapsody? If anyone knows, share it, it would be a nice help.)

Queen are mostly glam rock, hard rock, things like that. They loved their melodrama. They were also influenced by traditions like gospel and opera.

Rock n roll is an older, more traditional genre. Basically what Elvis sounds like, which is very different to Queen. Rock n roll comes directly from blues and R&B, and country music. In many senses of the word, it wasn't really a 'rock' genre as we'd know it at all. Rock acts are influenced by rock n roll, but they've took it in a totally different direction. I think the closest you come to rock and roll in modern day is neo-soul acts.

I think he just meant to say classic rock. Classic rock involves various forms of its subgenres between 60s-80s. It includes rock n roll, hard rock at the time, punk rock, and experimental rock I think. So I suppose it can vary for instance Neil Young, Chuck Berry, David Bowie, and Van Halen fall under the classic rock category.

Archived