[MtG] Bad Medicine (Written)

Trebuchet MS

Bad Medicine

1BG

Enchantment

Each creature gets -2/-2 for each +1/+1 counter on it.
Each creature gets +2/+2 for each -1/-1 counter on it.

One man’s meat is another man’s poison.

Essentially, it reverses the polarity of +1/+1 counters and -1/-1 counters, but their original function can be restored when this card is dealt with.

Why not make replacement effects? I'm not sure if two polar opposite replacement effects create accidental loops.

Bad Medicine

1BG

Enchantment

Each creature gets -2/-2 for each +1/+1 counter on it.

Each creature gets +2/+2 for each -1/-1 counter on it.

One man’s meat is another man’s poison.

Essentially, it reverses the polarity of +1/+1 counters and -1/-1 counters, but their original function can be restored when this card is dealt with.

Why not make replacement effects? I'm not sure if two polar opposite replacement effects create accidental loops.

In terms of your second question, each replacement would only apply once, essentially canceling out the card's entire function. As such, the current wording works just fine.

As for the card itself, I'm not too thrilled since adding -1/-1 counters was a common cost among Eventide cards and abilities, particularly Devoted Druid. The card design itself is interesting, but it does have terrible interactions with things like that. For that reason, I think I'd like it better if it were mono-black and without the -1/-1 reversal effect. Then it would act more like Bad Medicine (not to mention you could have the replacement effect for one way).

Archived