Sonic the Hedgehog: Solar Tides [IC/Accepting]

Mr. Hyde

Zane finally landed on the ground near Chimera, only to see that his little attack had literally froze him over. Not to the point of being encased in ice...but to the point where the Eggman robot couldn't move much.

"D-Damnit...I'm sorry C!!" Zane said, moving around the robot, trying to make sure he didn't damage him too much from this.

Then...things got worse for the group...

-BGM-

"Thunder Dragon's Indignation."

Zane's ears perked up when he heard this, before taking a look up at the sky. His eyes widened as he watched as five massive bolts of lightning infused with chaos energy fell down towards them. O-OH SHI-!! he thought, before causing the ground beneath him to freeze slightly and quickly sliding out of the way of the bolt of lightning that was coming down towards him.

Of course the arctic wolf was barely able to dodge the bolt of lightning, but before he could celebrate, the bolt hit the ground and erupted into a field of brutal electricity. Zane could feel the overwhelming electricity in the air and it shocked him to his very core, keeping him from moving for a bit. However, as he couldn't move for a moment, he noticed Storm Dragoon turning his head over his shoulder to see that he dodged his attack. Damn... he thought, before something else caught the wolf's eyes...Dragoon's body.

The robot seemed to have a large gash on his back, the entirety of his body was charred, and something of interest...his left leg seemed more damaged than the rest of his body. Hmm...actually...this angle might give me an advantage! Zane thought, before preparing his plan, finally able to regain feeling in his body.

With a swift motion, Zane immediately threw three icicles at Dragoon...one at the back of his head, one at the huge gash on his back, and finally one at his left leg. "Please hit, please hit..." he muttered to himself.

That's when Dragoon quickly did a turn around, deflecting with ease the two icicles that was aimed for his head and back. But what of the third? The sounds of metal being pierced was heard as Dragoon's left leg now had an icicle lodged into it.

YES! Zane thought, smirking before grabbing the multi-tool from his vest pocket. Clicking the button, a water sword immediately formed and was quickly solidified in ice. As he twirled the blade in his hand, Zane noticed that Axel's one hand seemed to have a limp now. This battle was taking its toll on the group...he could feel it.

With an exhale, Zane began to skate towards Dragoon, the ground under his feet freezing as he started gaining speed. He pushed himself as far as he could, increasing his speed as much as he could. It seemed like Dragoon wasn't going to react...and Zane might actually get a hit in. "TAKE THIS!!" he shouted, getting up near Dragoon, swinging his blade...

...only to have Dragoon pulling the icicle out of his own leg and using it to block the bladed strike.

"Tch...lucky save..." Zane growled as he and Dragoon were now caught in a power struggle. However, between the two of them...Zane was slowly being overpowered by the robot. "Rrrrhh...damn...you put up...a-a fight...worse than Mecha Sonic...a-and Mephiles combined!"

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alex's sneak attack on Dragoon was a success and Axel was even able to get a shot off on Dragoon too, causing a massive explosion. However this still didn't stop Dragoon as he reappeared right between Alex and Axel. The backhand that followed stung like hell and sent Alex sprawling on the ground. What followed after didn't help either.

Alex looked up in time to see a bolt of lightning heading her way, she rolled out of the way of the initial bolt but the spreading electricity shocked her to no end. "Tch... Is that... Really it?" Alex staggered trying to stand up and looked over to see Axel right in Dragoon's grip, getting the literal shock of a life time. Alex's fangs showed as she rushed Dragoon with another flaming knife, only this knife had a surprise.

Dragoon was too focused on Zane to notice, so Alex's attack succeeded. The knife pierced the metal of Dragoon's arm and it released Axel from his electrical torment. "Alright, Axel I got... Gah!!!" Before she could react, Dragoon had slammed his forearm into her, causing her to stumble. Alex took the opportunity to light the blood that was on the knife in Dragoon's arm, but the resulting flame mixed with Dragoon's wind attack and was sent right back at Alex. It was too big of an attack to dodge so Alex used her pyromancy to redirect the flaming winds back at Dragoon.

The result melted both Zane and Dragoon's weapons, after which Dragoon kicked Zane right in Alex's direction. She caught Zane but went skidding across the ground as a result and dropped to her knees. "This is... Wearing me out... I only got so many knives and... So much blood... I can't keep up at this point..."

Cynthia felt herself get flung into the air by Dragoon, thankfully Ken had successfully caught her in mid-air and landed on the ground setting her down. "We're gonna have to put you on a diet Cyn!" She gave Ken a cold look. ​"Not cool Ken..."

Cynthia looked up in time to see Dragoon literally calling down lightning to attack everyone. There was no way she could dodge in time so Cynthia braced herself for the shock. The resulting shock seemed to go through her entire body, causing her to scream in agony. The lightning stopped but the pain coursed through her, the metal form n her body started to fade away as she struggled to stay standing. ​"Is that.... All you got!?" ​Cynthia's adrenaline was pumping now, she took a quill from her head and rushed at Dragoon, turning her quill into a metal spear and piercing the arm that was holding Axel.

She was winding up for a metal punch before Dragoon grabbed the other end of the spear. ​"It won't be that easy..." ​He swung the spear up taking Cynthia with it, she let go of the spear and was launched into the air. Cynthia spun around in mid-air to face Dragoon. ​"Big mistake!" ​She morphed her whole body again and curled up for a spin dash, her now buzzsaw like quills spinning as she came down on Dragoon at a fast rate.

cEeWVpd.jpg

Ken watched in horror as he saw his only brother writhing in agony, due to Dragoon's attack.  His teeth grit and his fist balled by themselves...he was officially pissed off.  Suddenly, Dragoon bellowed out the name of one of it's attacks.  

Bolts of lightning were shot off in every which direction towards his teammates, and even one for himself.  Ken merely lifted his left foot and planted it into the earth with a hard stomp.  It was enough to shatter the floor of the cavern, and up-heaved it into the direction of the lightning bolt.  The rubble erupted into a rain of dust and debris, the pebbles pelting Ken as they fell.  However, Ken would be met with the same fate as his comrades, and received a mildly painful lightning attack.  As the pain ran out of his body, he had been brought down to his knees.  The sight of Axel hanging in Dragoon's arm was enough to bring him back to Mobius, however.  He punched the ground in a fit of rage.

"I don't think I've ever been this mad..." He said as he dashed off, swift as the lightning that had struck him previously.  As he picked up speed, Ken jumped into the air and started twisting his body.  With such force, the air around him almost wrapped itself around Ken's legs.  It was as if he himself had become the epicenter of a tornado!  

"Hurriken, Stage 2!"

Ken mimicked the roar of Dragoon, as he launched his signature attack.  He rushed towards the mechanical being as Dragoon just put it's arms up in a defense against the spinning saw blade that was Cynthia.  Ken's heel hit metal, and as soon as it did, a cheesy grin appeared on his face.  The force from the kick to Dragoon's chest was enough to send him careening into the cave wall.  A large cloud of smoke erupted from where Dragoon landed.

"Don't you ever...lay a hand...on my little brother...ever again!"  Ken gasped as the anger seethed through his teeth.  But soon, a familiar figure emerged from that cloud of dust.

"You've managed to put up quite the fight..." Ken noticed that a large dent had been put into Dragoon's chest, no doubt caused by him.  Dragoon managed to rip the spear that Cynthia had been able to hit him with.  He held it menacingly.  

"No way...only a dent?!"  Ken was surprised...he thought he cleaved straight through the machine.  

"I'd even go as far as to say that you've surpassed me expectations." A static could be seen flowing through the spear.  Dragoon had made Cynthia's attack his now.  

"But how long can you keep that little trick up?"

As if on queue, a spurt of blood came rushing out of Ken's mouth.  He couldn't help but smile.  

"Long enough...to rip that emerald from that dent in your chest..."  Ken struggled to keep his sentence from running on too long.  But before he could get another quip in, Dragoon had hurled the spear towards...not him, but Zane and Alex.  It was an incredibly fast throw to...no way could either Zane or Alex could dodge...the only thing faster was.  

"GUK!"  Without thinking, Ken's body had already moved.  The spear pierced through his body, inches away from his friends' faces.  Blood dripped down the tip of the spear.  The pain was immense, but it wasn't over, as a current of electricity spread out through Ken's body, causing him to jerk forcibly.  Blood was now seeping from both his mouth, and new wound.  When it was all over, Ken looked to Zane and Alex.  One eyelid hung close, while his other iris was completely blank.  

"Caught it..." he said with a bloody smile.  He then collapsed to the ground.

"I guess there is honor amongst thieves..."  Dragoon scoffed, before making his approach towards the initial targets of his attack.  

Chimera saw the lightning come down at him like fury from the sky. His systems were warning him to move, that this lightning bolt would do major damage. However, due to his body being embedded into the floor and partially frozen, he knew he wasn't going to move in time, or even be able to throw up his Black Shield in time.

So instead, he let the attack strike him at full force, his pain receptors screaming to him as warning filled his screen. He did his best to endure it, and after what felt like forever, the lightning stopped. Despite his damage, Chimera was still functioning. On top of it, the lightning melted his ice, so he could move again. He slowly stood up, freeing himself and pulling fragments out of his body. With a groan, he looked up at Storm and then at the sky. He put a hand to his head, reaching out and trying to contact Reef. There was heavy interference though, something of the Fox's design, no doubt.

Time for plan B. Holding out his arms, he began to unlock his missiles, his shoulders, arms, hands, and even quills revealing missiles, all pointed at Storm. With a invisible smirk, Chimera fired them all.

Dragoon stopped his advance, noticing something was wrong. He looked over to see the missile salvo headed his way, so the robot started to dash around the battlefield at a blinding speed as the first onslaught chased him. They inched closer and closer, but just as they were about to hit, the robot leapt into the air to avoid them. Unknown to him, however, the second salvo was on their way. A few hit him, and his armor began to crumble.

Despite this, he managed to leap from the explosions. However, he was obviously injured, as he landed on his knees. At that moment, the third wave flew through the smoke of the explosion and flew straight at him. Unable to move, the robot let out a roar, using an attack similar to what the robot Chimera, Zane, and Axel fought before. The missiles exploded, only for another salvo to strike him in the back, exploding on contact.

The rest of the missiles struck their target, exploding. The smoke was thick, making it hard to see. Chimera didn't wait to see if the attack work,instead opting to change his arm into a laser cannon and charge energy into it, a humming heard as it happened. The smoke cleared, revealing Storm on his knees.

"Everyone! Get him now why he's weak!" Chimera called out. Storm's head snapped up to glare at Chimera.

"Who are you calling weak?!" he roared, his draconian voice echoing as lightning fell from the sky to strike Chimera. Chimera knew he wouldn't be able to withstand such a blast, so he took a quick leap to the left. However, the force of the lightning striking the ground was so great it threw Chimera back. The robot managed to land on his feet though, and in turn, keep the charge on his cannon, which he kept charging more power into. All the while, Storm began to scale the wall, heading up to the storm he created...

wWmO84y.jpg

Storm Arena

BMG

"Ken!" Axel cried out in anguish as he watched his brother place himself into the path of Dragoon's attack. With his eyes, he saw the entirety of the scene transpire in painfully slow motion, and though he knew that there was no way that Alex or Zane would have reacted fast enough to dodge Dragoon's attack, he found himself furious that Ken sacrificed himself... 

Forcing himself to his feet, Axel watched as Chimera began to engage Storm Dragoon with an all out attack. Satisfied that Chimera's efforts would stall Dragoon at the very least, Axel clumsily teleported himself over to Ken, catching him as he collapsed. "Y-You idiot..." He mumbled to his limp brother, whilst energy formed around the tips of his fingers. Solemnly, Axel cut the ends of the spear to allow for Ken to lay down peacefully. He couldn't afford to remove the weapon just yet...

"You see? People wouldn't get hurt if you were stronger..." A voice called from somewhere deep within his mind. 

"Shut up." Axel growled back, Though it would appear he were simply talking to himself. "You're not real..."

"They're all gonna die, and for what?" The voice pressed on, as Axel felt a wicked power trying to force its way to the surface. "Because you're afraid of me! Of yourself..." Axel starred blankly at Ken's body. Maybe he should just give in... He considered allowing the power to flow through him, but halted himself upon remembering the look Alex had given him yesterday. It was like she was face to face with a monster.

Just then, another lightning bolt struck the arena, shaking him from his trance. Shifting his gaze from his brother, Axel watched as Dragoon began hastily scaling the side of the arena. The robot's armor was now in tatters, and with ever step, chips of purple metal rained down from the once impressive armor of the beast.

"This will be the final attack of the battle..." Dragoon's voice boomed as it's form vanished into the storm clouds overhead. The sound of thunder reverberated through the air, as flashes of light project Storm Dragoon's shadow over the sky as a menacing silhouette.  Axel watched in awe as the shadow of the robot extended it's arms down towards the arena, and a large amount of chaos energy began gathering within the clouds.

"No way..." The young prodigy coughed in disbelief. The amount of energy that had suddenly appeared in the sky was unreal... The only possible explanation was that Dragoon was drawing energy from the storm and amplifying it with the chaos emerald. As Axel rose to his feet, the center of the clouds parted to make way for a massive sphere of green energy. Rubble from the battlefield was now floating off of the ground from the static that danced around the entire arena, and as the sphere loomed overhead, green lighting crackled and swirled in its center and danced around it. 

"Thunder Dragon's Cloud Parter!" Dragoon's voice called over the roaring thunder, causing the massive sphere to begin falling towards the arena.

"H-He's using the emerald's power... the bastard poured everything he had into that one move,"  Axel spoke to his allies as he took a step so that Ken was behind him. "You're power is truly great, Axel." Silver's words echoed from his memory as he watched his impending doom fall towards him. There was no way he could stop that thing...

"But there are somethings that even you cant do alone..." Axel clenched his fist before producing his emerald. "It's ok to put your faith in others from time to time, my son." Silver was right. He came this far with all these people... he had to trust them. He needed them here.

"But we have an emerald too..." Axel steeled his gaze as he brought the chaos emerald up and pointed it towards the Cloud Parter. "and I have no intention of dying before I can have my revenge." His words held small traces of doubt. This was the first time he had ever asked for someone's help... "I'll use my own body as a conduit," As he spoke, the prodigy gripped his extended forearm with his left hand and began channeling the emerald's energy into to the immediate area. It was dangerous, and if he didn't manage to control all the energies it would end badly- destroy his body even. But it had to done...

"I-I'm asking you all to lend me your strength..." All those standing at his side would feel the raw chaos energy flow into them, and fuel their powers. "If he wants to throw everything he has at us, then we'll return the favor!" He growled as he prepared merge his comrades attacks as they fired them towards Dragoon's. 

SyCquzh.jpg

The power struggle between him and Dragoon went on for a good bit of time, but he watched only as Alex did what she could to help, but only resulting in the ice melting from both parties' hands and he was sent flying by a kick via Dragoon.

He was soon caught by Alex, who was already starting to come up on her limit. "Y-Yeah...same here..." he groaned as he put the multi-tool away before starting to stand up. "But we can't give up...n-not yet..."

However, after saying this, Zane turned to see that there was a spear flying towards him and Alex at an alarming speed. His eyes widened as he realized he couldn't stop it in time. Zane immediately closed his eyes and tried to shield himself...but the sounds of the spear hitting something else was heard. As Zane opened his eyes, he was shocked seeing Ken in front of them, bloodied with the spear in his body. "K-Ken?!"

"Caught it..."

The arctic wolf watched as Ken collapsed to the ground, backing up slowly as he couldn't believe THAT just happened. He felt a rage bubbling up inside, about the time Chimera began to unleash a full out assault on Dragoon. Damnit...I'm always getting saved... he thought, his fists clenching tightly. And because of it... Zane looked down at the collapsed Ken, his fists clenching tighter.

"This will be the final attack of the battle...Thunder Dragon's Cloud Parter!"

Zane's eyes were immediately drawn to the skies as yet another massive sphere was seen being dropped from the skies. Another...massive... That was it! He looked at his hands, feeling the air around them freezing slightly. While he already used it against him once...and pretty much froze Chimera...this time...this time it would be different.

-BGM-

"I'll use my own body as a conduit. I-I'm asking you all to lend me your strength...If he wants to throw everything he has at us, then we'll return the favor!"

Hearing this, Zane punched his right hand into his left, growling. "Then let's do it..." he said, immediately feeling this raw energy from the Chaos Emerald flowing into him. Zane could feel the energy surging through him. This was what he needed...a power boost.

He lifted his hands up a bit, watching as the air around his hands freezing slightly, making a small flurry of snow around it. Finally, Zane pulled enough moisture from the air, watching them gather into his hands as he smirked. "Listen to me...I don't care who built you...or for what specific reasons!" he shouted. "But the moment you harm my allies...MY FRIENDS...THAT'S when you've crossed the line!!"

Zane howled a bit as he slammed his hands together and concentrated the icy energy that was accumulating in both hands. "FINAL......FREEZE!!!!" he shouted, as the icy energy beam immediately shot out and made contact with the massive sphere.

eflYYua.jpg

Alex nodded in response to Zane's statement, they have the metallic menace on the ropes, they can't call it quits now. But the sudden appearance of Ken getting impaled by the spear that Dragoon threw while he was trying to save her and Zane was a complete shock. "N-no... Not again... No..."

Images began flooding back to Alex from the attack on Metropolis, images of Harvey... That stubborn cop... Ken took a blow so similar to Harvey. She snapped out of it upon hereing Dragoon's final attack.

"This will be the final attack of the battle...Thunder Dragon's Cloud Parter!"

She looked up to see an enormous energy ball falling straight towards the group, a similar attack as Mephiles did but this one look way stronger.

"I'll use my own body as a conduit. I-I'm asking you all to lend me your strength...If he wants to throw everything he has at us, then we'll return the favor!"

Alex looked over to Axel. He was right, this was already a fight to the finish, but if Dragoon wanted it to end so badly, then everyone will just have to top him on that. "He wants to play a power struggle... Then we'll give him one!" Alex could feel chaos energy flowing into her, just like when she and Axel did that combo attack moments ago.

"Your gonna pay for putting us through all this!" Alex charged up a massive fireball but crushed in her hand only to open her hand seconds later at Dragoon's attack. A huge gout of chaotic fire bursted from her hand. "DRAGON FIRE!!!" If everyone was just naming their attacks, she might as well join the party.

Chimera watched as the skies darkened even more, Storm gathering chaos energy into this next attack. Without an Emerald, there was no way Chimera could match the output, not without risking his own self termination. That wouldn't do at all. However... Axel spoke up

"I'll use my own body as a conduit. I-I'm asking you all to lend me your strength...If he wants to throw everything he has at us, then we'll return the favor!" Chimera nodded, the rest gathering around the hedgehog. Chimera could feel the emerald's energies flow into him. It was amazing! He felt so powerful... And this was only a small percent of one Emerald... If he had all seven...

"FINAL......FREEZE!!!!"

"DRAGON FIRE! Chimera snapped back into reality hearing the attacks. It was time to fire off the beam he had been charging this whole time. He didn't have a name for it though... However, he heard a theme throughout the attacks fired prior. They loosely resembled an old show Metal Knuckles and Tails Dolls used to watch. He might as well name this after his favorite character's signature move.

"Makankōsappō!!" He called out as he fired off his attack, it being a beam of plasma with two lasers spiraling around it. The three attacks flew straight and true... Would it be enough?

wWmO84y.jpg

Storm Arena

"FINAL......FREEZE!!!!" 

"DRAGON FIRE! 

"Makankōsappō!!"

His allies had answered his cry for help, and stepped forward to face the oncoming danger together. Axel watched as Zane, Alex, and Chimera took in the emerald's energy and let loose their strongest attacks towards the Dragoon's massive sphere of lighting. His gaze shifted to Cynthia for a moment as his grip tightened on his arm. The girl's ability didn't require energy projection, so it was likely that she had no way to aid them in this struggle... He'd just have to hope that the four of them was enough.

As the three powerful attacks flew up towards the sky, Axel took hold of them by latching on to the emerald's chaos energy that mixed with each unique aura. "Chaos Control!" Axel's roar caused Alex, Zane, and Chimera's attacks to begin swirling together as they slammed into the Cloud Parter as a single wave of multicolored energy. 

The young prodigy's arm began shaking violently as the attacks clashed. Though the freedom fighter's combined efforts had created a beam of monstrous strength, it seemed that the Cloud Parter was on a level of its own. Chimera, Alex, and Zane would be forced to maintain their flow of energy as the titanic weight of the storm stubbornly pushed forward despite their efforts. They need more power! 

"Don't stop!" Axel growled to his allies as he started be pushed back by the opposing force. "Give it everything!" As the one responsible for stabilizing the other three's combined efforts, Axel seemed to be having the hardest time of the bunch. With ever foot the massive sphere of energy pushed forward, the hand that gripped his chaos emerald was also forced backwards. They were fighting a loosing battle... and it was only a matter of time before they were crushed by Dragoon's attack. 

"Dammit..." Axel cursed his own weakness as he turned back to see that he had been pushed back to the point that he was almost standing atop his sleeping brother. He simply didn't have enough strength to push back...

"You didn't think I would sit this one out, right?!" A familiar voice shook him from his sorrow.

"Huh?" Axel could only grunt in shock as Cynthia appeared behind him with a grin. Without warning, a new stream of yellow energy joined the tricolored beam as Cynthia placed both hands against the back of Axel's palm and began pushing forward whilst allowing the chaos emerald to hungrily take in her aura. "Just focus on doing what do you need to do, Axel... leave the muscle to me!" Cynthia barked as her her arms became coated in her armor. 

Axel watched in amazement as Cynthia used her strength to push his hand forward to aid them in the struggle. With Cynthia's aura, it seemed that the freedom fighters had leveled the playing field, and Cloud Parter now hung in the air as it pushed against the blinding wave of light the team's combined energies in a deadlock. 

But they couldn't keep this up forever. Axel could sense that all of his allies were beginning to reach their limits, and it would only be a matter of time before one of them hit zero, and the battle was lost.

With Cynthia lending him her strength, Axel was now able freely use his left hand. Holding his left palm out to his side he began gathering all his remaining energies. "Guys..." The white hedgehog spoke out to his fellow heroes as they struggled to maintain their part of the attack. "Thank you." He nodded in appreciation whilst shifting backwards slightly. This was it...

"CHAAAAAAOOOSSSSSS" Axel's voice reverberated with energy as the sphere in his hand began shine brightly. "BRIGHT NOVA!" He roared before thrusting his palm forward and merged his energy with the others, causing their attack to abruptly double in size.

IsOSufc.png

Eye of The Storm

"Impossible..." Dragoon watched in amazement as the intruders managed to completely halt his attack's progress with their combined efforts. Where did this power come from?! The only explanation that made any kind of sense would be that he had underestimated them. But even then, there's now way that they could have been hiding this kind of energy from him...

He'ed have to go even farther. The robot's arms reared backwards as it began gathering more energy from the storm to fire yet another attack. However he stopped in is tracks upon sensing yet another spike in the energy levels bellow.

"No way!" Storm Dragoon spat at the sight of blinding light slowly shinning through his Cloud Parter. "Even with the Chaos Emeral-" He would never finish his sentence. Without warning, the massive flash of multicolored energy erupted from the back of his own attack and consumed him in it's blinding light. 

The shock from the blast was enough to carve a large circle in the blanket of black clouds that appeared over the mountain top, allowing the last rays of gloomy evening sun to shine down on the arena.

As the Freedom Fighters looked up to the the sky that seemed to smile upon them in celebration of their victory, they would see a figure rapidly fall from one of the remaining clouds. Landing in the arena with a loud crash, a mangled Storm Dragoon now stood before our heroes with his single remaining arm hanging limply at the side. The guardian's armor was in now tatters, with his chest plate completely melted to reveal the purple chaos emerald at his core and the lower part of his jaw twisted to the right.  

"L-Look's like you're all fresh out of energy..." As he spoke, the lights in his eyes flickered back to life. "Too bad. You almost had me." Dragoon groaned before suddenly dashing forwards towards the group to finish them off.

IsOSufc.png

Storm Arena 

"NO!" Axel watched in horror as Storm charged forth to end their confrontation. Having completely depleted all of his own energy, the white hedgehog had no choice but to allow the darkness inside of him to push through to the surface. An image of his doppelganger's twisted grin flashed at the back of his mind as he felt negative chaos energy instantly began flowing through him. It felt vile but he had no choice. He had to protect the others...

"Just die already!" He snarled as his eyes shifted to a blood red. Now able to move, Axel wasted no time in dashing forward to meet Dragoon head on. Just as it seemed the two were about to collide, Axel vanished in a flash of light. "I'll atomize you with this..." Axel spat down at Dragoon just as he reappeared behind him with a large sphere of volatile red chaos energy in his left palm. 

"Not good..." Dragoon spoke as he glanced over his shoulder. Unable to react in time due to his injuries, the robot had was powerless to stop his foe.

"CHAOS BLA-GWAAH!" Axel cried out in agony and recoiled in pain as the sphere suddenly exploded in his hand before he could bring it down on Dragoon. Seeing his opportunity, Storm Dragoon hastily spun around and grabbed Axel by the throat with his single arm. With the organic now tightly in his grasp, he held the boy high as he began tighten his grip to crush the intruder's throat.

"Your body is at it's limit..." Dragoon spoke as he peered up at Axel. "It was foolish to try to handle so much negative chaos energy in that state." 

He was right. Axel could already feel the dark energy he had called upon receding back into the depths of his body... He had blown his one shot at victory. "W-Wa" He struggled for air as he grabbed Dragoon's arm with his good hand. There was still enough negative energy left one last technique.

"Warp Fiction!" Axel's eyes faded to a dull blue as he called the name of his final technique. In an instant the pair began clumsily warping around the arena. Afterimages of Dragoon and Axel could be seem slamming into the mountain walls, before the two suddenly reappeared a few meters in front of the other freedom fighters.

With Dragoon's grip loosened from the rapid movement, Axel hastily broke from his grasp before swinging on to his back. Locking the robot's arm above it's head, Axel desperately clung to Dragoon's back as he used all the strength he could muster to hold his opponent in a sloppy armlock. "Take him out!" Axel called out to the others as he struggled against Dragoon's remaining strength. 

cEeWVpd.jpg

Storm Arena

What was happening?  He was trying to take a nap here!  How was a half dead hedgehog supposed to get any sleep around here with all of these sounds of explosions and all of these flashes of light!?  Ken struggled to barely open his eyes, but what came into view after the blurriness faded almost made him jump to his feet immediately!  Dragoon was again holding Alex in a choking hold.  He's legs shook, and the metal rod that still stuck through his entire body clanged against the cavern floor.  

"Nobody took this out of me?...I guess it stops the bleeding at least..."  Every time he moved was excruciatingly painful, but he had to make it to Axel...he had to save his little brother.  When Ken finally made it to the team, he wheezed.  It look like Axel had gained the upper hand in his fight, and now held a severely damaged Dragoon in a half-nelson.  Ken would laugh, if his lungs weren't completely full of blood by now.  

"Take him out!"

Ken looked to the team, but they all looked completely exhausted.  They were in no position to finish off this mechanical menace.  

"Take me out?!  Why you insolent little-" 

A step echoed out through the arena.  Slowly, another step followed.  Ten more steps later, and Ken was face to face with the monster who had put this giant metal spear through his body...well Cynthia was also fifty-percent to blame, but Ken wasn't going to hold that against her...right now.  Dragoon's armor was completely in tatters...the sight was almost as pathetic as Ken's own self at the moment.  The emerald was just in reach.  Ken slowly reached his hand out to grab it.  

"What?!  No!  I'd rather die first than have my honor in shreds!" 

"Ken!  He must be destroyed!  Look at what he did to you!  He's too dangerous to let live!"  

"Ahhh shutup Axel...this guy is done...Unless he wants another kick to the side that is!"  Ken smiled as his hand wrapped around the emerald, with a slight grip.  Ken slowly, but surely, removed the emerald from within Dragoon's chest.  Ken then again collapsed to the ground with a smile on his face.  

"Can...can anyone take this big spear out of me now?  Do you have any spare bandages Alex...so you know...I don't bleed out to death?"  

IsOSufc.png

After the fight was over, there was no resistance from Dragoon, rather that he sat in the middle of the arena, the same pose he had taken when the emerald was taken from his very being.  It almost looked like he was...sad.  

"The only thing I was programmed for...my only purpose....I'm sorry Dr. Prower..."

Axel stared in Dragoon's direction.  A look of pure malice on his face.  He had almost succumbed to the darkness yet again...was he so weak to keep relying on it?  No...It was his own strength that had won the battle today.  That and his idiot of a brother.  Axel put a hand up to his communicator, and called in Reef to come and fly above this giant open cavern.  Moments later, the Light Piercer hung above them.  

Ken was still conscious, and he sat upright.  Every once and a while, a muscle of his would severely spasm.  A repercussion of having his inhibitor released for so long.  He asked Axel to carry him over to Dragoon.  

"Listen...Dragoon...See our friend over there?  Chimera's his name.  He's a machine...just like you.  But there's more to you than just a bunch of nuts and bolts...there's more to you than just your programming."  A cough of blood erupted from him, which splattered across Dragoon's now open chest cavity.  "Oh god...I'm sorr-"

"Leave me to rust Hedgehog...your words will have no effect on me.  I am defeated...I am weak."

"But it was a hell of a fight!"  Ken smiled.

Dragoon let off a bit of a laugh.  

"As a matter of fact...with your power...we could sure use your help."  

"Help...with what?"

IsOSufc.png

[One explanation of the whole situation later]

"See...we weren't trying to steal the emerald!  We need it...to stop Mephiles."

Dragoon's eyes look like they were starting to resonate with Ken.  He nodded.  

"I understand...I am sorry I was so rough on all of you...but you must understand...I was only trying to do what I was made for.  I deeply apologize for my actions."  Dragoon bowed before the team.  "And another thing, I may be able to help you.  My programming makes sure that I am to protect the emerald at all times...and if you are in possession of the emerald, that means by proxy, you are under my protection as well.  There is still use for me yet."  Dragoon rose from the ground and laughed.  "Yes!  Maybe it'll be I who strikes the final blow against Mephiles!  That will surely make Dr. Prower proud of me!"  Dragoon roared.  "I'll be able to fix myself up with parts around here...and here is will I remain until I'm needed.  If you ever need a place to rest, you are always welcome in my arena...although my quarters aren't really suited for hosting organics."  Dragoon looked to Ken, who was completely snoring louder than the explosion that had been set off earlier.  

As the team set off back to the Light Piercer, Dragoon waved.  

"Rest well, Defenders of Mobius."

End of Chapter 4

IsOSufc.png

Chapter 4.5: A Flare of Success

Light Piercer

Ken woke up, strapped down to what seemed to be a hospital bed.  Bandages were wrapped around his torso, and he could still feel his muscles jitter.  He squirmed, but the pain made him flinch and stop his attempts.  

"It's no use..." Axel said with a sigh. "Those restraints were placed on you to stop you from working out while you recover."

"I feel like I haven't done a sit-up in..."

"Four days?  It's been about that long."

"Who stitched me u-"

"That was me Master Ken!" A familiar, techno, female voice rang out.  A small mechanical limb reached down from the ceiling, waving up and down.  Ken smiled.  

"You are an angel Reef..."

"No Master Ken!  I am an artificial intelligence!"  a giggle echoed out through the ship.  It was good to be awake.

[spoiler=OOC]

Give it up to Hollow for an incredible chapter and boss fight!  Now is the time for Chapter 4.5!  Its downtime on the Light Piercer!  Get some character interaction going, or whatever else you wanna do!

That fight with Dragoon... It was worse than fighting Mecha and Mephiles combined, way worse. And Ken... Alex couldn't tell if he was being too friendly towards Dragoon, or if he legitimately was forgiving him for everything. If it were Alex's choice she would've just sat there and watched him melt in the fires of her attack. She shook her head at the thought of it.

It had been nearly four days since they left that mechinal creature behind, Alex spent the majority of those days locked in her room. She was looking in the mirror this morning, the scar under her eye wasn't the only one she had now, on account of being tossed around, mangled, drowned... She let out a cry and had punched her mirror, cracking it. Was she so weak and frail? She couldn't handle anything without getting broken in the process, maybe her brother was right, she was just a waste of skin.

"I need... Some fresh air..." Alex got up and headed outside of her room without her cloak. Whether she forgot it or just didn't want to wear it is up to interpretation.

SyCquzh.jpg

It had been a few days since that battle against Dragoon...and for Zane, who stared at the ceiling to his own quarters, he couldn't help but contemplate everything that happened. One thing he was for sure of...the enemies were getting stronger.

Mecha Sonic, Charyb, Dragoon...and even Mephiles...who Zane was sure they hadn't seen him at his FULL power yet. And with each of those battles, the arctic wolf only knew that he, himself, was still in the same area of power. Sure he was able to help out when it was necessary, but the fact of the matter was that out of the group two stood out the best: Ken and Axel.

In a sense, he hated how they seemed to be the ones who were the strongest out of them...well save for Chimera. After all, he was literally a walking armory with all the weapons and ammunition he held. But during the fight with Dragoon, Zane could see clearly that he hadn't reached his full potential of power or skill.

That's it... he said, before tossing his vest on and grabbing the mutli-tool from his nightstand. I need training...and right now, I better start with the best swordsman here on team...plus at the same time, perhaps he'll help me fine tune my techniques.

As he put his multi-tool in his vest pocket, Zane left his room in search for Axel. He needed an instructor...someone who could help him...and this hedgehog was trained by Silver himself. Doesn't get better than that, now does it?

That was one heck of an adventure, and that was just for one chaos emerald. Cynthia had been spending the past few days on the Light Piercer passing by the infirmary every chance she got. It wasn't good to see one of her new friends down for the count, especially since she was partly to blame for Ken getting impaled in the first place. She's the one who made the spear, Dragoon just turned her own weapon on her friends, and Ken was the one who took the hit.

When Ken actually woke up, Cynthia was immediately in the infirmary, this ship, or actually Reef, must've been extremely good at fixing people up. She was made by those underwater mobians after all. ​"Dang it Ken... I'm sorry about that... If I knew Dragoon would use my quill to attack you I wouldn't have done it...." ​She had been beating herself up over that incident for the past few days, but seeing that Ken was at least alive lessened her guilt.

Chimera was angry. After everything they did, after all the fighting that they did, after all the damage that damn Tails bot did, they were just... Letting him go. On one hand, Chimera should have been happy that another robot got to live... But... It was a Tails Bot. He was literally programmed to hate them with his entire being.

But that wasn't the only thing that grated him. Even if he was built over two hundred ears ago, he was supposed to be a top of the line, ultimate robot. However... A Tails Bot caused him so much damage. Charyb, he couldn't even touch!! It really pissed him off.

The first thing he did when they returned to the ship was go to the repair bay, digitally locking the door behind him. He wanted to be alone. The repairs took nearly a full day to finish, and that was with the ship doing all the work. If he had to repair himself by himself... It would take almost a week to do.

After that, he pulled up every file he could find on the ship and began to study. He needed to improve himself drastically, and it would take everything he had to make this happen.

wWmO84y.jpg

"No Master Ken! I am an artificial intelligence!"

"Please stop calling him Master, Reef..." Axel chimed in with a smirk as he gave his brother a sideways glance. "It will only go to his head." He yawned slightly before inspecting his twin. Though Ken would never know it, Axel hadn't left his side since they had gotten back on the ship...

Since the two were young boys, they had always slept in the same room, and even now Axel found it impossible to get any rest without being with Ken. Having been sleeping at his brothers bedside for the past for days, it was easy to see that the white hedgehog hadn't been resting comfortably.

"By the way, Ken." Axel said whilst he turned to face his brother. "You dropped this in the arena..." Producing the gold medallion from his pocket, Axel held it up so that it's face was towards the window. Moments after being struck by the sunlight, a shimmering streak could be seen across the coins surface pointing towards the east. "Fathe-umm, Silver gave it you, right?" He hastily corrected himself; he couldn't keep calling Silver 'father' now, huh? "No matter where I hold it, the light always points towards the east..."

"That would one of the coins gifted to heroes of Dewdrop city, Master Axel!" Reef's voice caused him to look up towards the room's ceiling. He never knew where to look when the ship was talking to him...

"What might that be?" Axel replied.

"Well my data is limited due to the fact that the city residence are infamous for their secrecy... but it's been standing for more than 1000 years, and is thought to have been the site where the entity known as Solaris split into Iblis and Mephiles..." Reef continued. "I-I'm sorry! Would you like me to try and acquire more information, sir?"

"Yea, do that." Axel nodded in approval. Why would Silver leave them this coin? There had to be something in that city that he wanted them to see... Something regarding how to stop Mephiles perhaps?

"I'll have a more fleshed out report for you in approximately eight hours, Master Axel!"

Just then, Cynthia entered the room. She had been passing by religiously for the past few days, so naturally Axel wasn't the least bit surprised. ​"Dang it Ken... I'm sorry about that... If I knew Dragoon would use my quill to attack you I wouldn't have done it...." She addressed his brother as soon as she walked through the door.

"I'll be taking my leave then..." Axe said in is usual tone as he glanced down towards Ken with a look that he'd never given the other boy before. Though neither of them had ever had any experience with females before, it seemed that certain things just came natural; like the ability to sense when your presence wasn't needed. "Don't untie him..." He said to Cynthia as he slid past her and out of the room. There was something else he wanted to look into anyway...

iU8EggM.png

"You know... Chaos energy and strong emotions bare a lot similarities. Silver said that it's because the two go hand in hand..." Axel's voice called across the deck as he casually walked towards the figure that was leaning atop the railing. "I don't know if I believe that. But there is something that I know for certain," He continued.

Joining the figure by the railing, he gazed out into the open sky as a light wind tickled his fur before turning to look at Alex. "I can sense both of them through closed doors." His gaze was still a dull blue since the fight with Dragoon. Though even without his 'sight', he could still sense the melancholy of the ships crew whilst he was waiting at Ken's side...

"You're doubting yourself..." He was never very good at dealing with others. Maybe it was his connection to the force; the fact that was different. Nobody else could ever understand him, so how could they expect him not to be cold and distant? He was special. Born for something greater, and that also meant that he'd always be alone aside for Ken and Silver. "Don't."

At least that was how Axel used to think... Now he had comrades. Other people who he held dearly to him. New things he had to protect. "During our clash with Storm Dragoon our aura's merged... It wouldn't mean anything to you, but for someone like me that's nothing to take lightly." He returned his gaze to the sky. "In that moment we were one in the same, and I got a glimpse of what you're capable of."

"I couldn't have preformed that technique if a single one of you weren't present, and I wont be able to push forward without you guys either." As he spoke he slowly slid his hand into his pockets where the two chaos emeralds rested. He allowed a silence to rest in the air for a moment as he waited for her response.

As they talked a third presence arrived on the deck. "Zane," Upon sensing the cold aura coming up behind the pair, he greeted the wolf without turning to check who it was.

A little fresh air never hurt anyone, and the breeze on the deck of the Light Piercer was rather calming to say the least. Alex leaned on the railing and looked out towards the clouds passing by, after being locked in her room, the breeze helped to clear her mind. Everything that has happened so far, whether it was a part of fate or just an overarching string of coincidences, Alex didn't know what to think, half of it seemed like a dream and the other half a nightmare.

"You know... Chaos energy and strong emotions bare a lot similarities. Silver said that it's because the two go hand in hand..." Alex turned and saw Axel approaching her, Ken must be feeling a bit better after that whole, impalement from Cynthia's quill. "I don't know if I believe that. But there is something that I know for certain, I can sense both of them through closed doors." He joined her out on the railing, where was he getting at?

"You're doubting yourself... Don't." Oh, thats what he was getting at. Was it not obvious she was doubting herself? Anyone without the ability to read emotions could see that she was miserable. "During our clash with Storm Dragoon our aura's merged... It wouldn't mean anything to you, but for someone like me that's nothing to take lightly. In that moment we were one in the same, and I got a glimpse of what you're capable of." What she's capable of?

"I couldn't have preformed that technique if a single one of you weren't present, and I wont be able to push forward without you guys either."

"Are those supposed to be words of encouragement? You know as much as I do... All I'm good for is for setting things on fire and acting as a magnet for pain... You've seen it every single time, whenever we get into combat... I end up taking most of the punishment.... Whether it be getting dragged across a rusted, scrap covered floor, nearly drowning to death, and most recently, getting electrocuted to death... Of course... This time I guess Ken got the worst of it..." It was just a matter of time, one of these days she was just gonna end up breaking herself beyond repair.

"I appreciate the concern.... If you can call that whole speech concern... But I'm just a lost cause... A waste of skin... Things would've been better off if I had died in Metropolis... At least I wouldn't be feeling all this... Pain..."

SyCquzh.jpg

Zane looked a bit, not exactly seeing any appearance of Axel. To be honest, if Axel wasn't around for the moment, he definitely would've gone straight to Chimera, if he wasn't locking himself in his own room. It didn't take a rocket scientist or a scientist in general to see that Chimera was steamed beyond all meanings of the word. And to be honest, if the arctic wolf started to try be supportive and what not now...he'd probably get in the way.

However, as Zane pulled his mind back from thinking about this, he noticed two individuals up ahead on the deck, leaning on the railings. It was Alex and Axel... For a moment, a small smile appeared on his face as he saw the two of them like this. Well...they haaaaaaaad been spending a lot of time together...heh. he thought, noticing them talking a bit. Zane didn't want to barge in the middle of this, especially with them talking, so he was about to walk away...but stopped suddenly, hearing Axel.

"Zane."

He sighed a bit, turning back around before finally approaching the pair again. "Hey Axel...Alex. I hope I wasn't really interrupting anything." he said rubbing the back of his neck. "I mean, I can come back later if you guys are busy...." Zane chuckled a bit, before sighing. "Axel...when you have some time...I...I want you to train me."

cEeWVpd.jpg

Light Piercer

Axel had found the Dewdrop Medallion that Father...Silver had given them.  

"Yeah!  I figure it points to where we need to head next!  So that's where I told Reef to take us in the beginning...but then all this crazy junk happened..."

"Dang it Ken... I'm sorry about that... If I knew Dragoon would use my quill to attack you I wouldn't have done it...."  Without warning, Cynthia busted through the doors of the infirmary.  It was a weird feeling seeing the girl who had caused him to be restrained to this bed in the first place, but he was surprised to say that he was glad to see her.  

"Hey Cyn...don't worry about it!  I'm tougher than I look!  Who knows, maybe encountering death so many times will give me some kind of miracle strength boost!"  He laughed, as the belts that restrained his body moved up and down.  It kind of hurt, but he couldn't show that.

"I'll be taking my leave then..."  As Axel got up, Ken started to panic a little.  Why was his brother leaving him in a room with his almost would-be killer.  But it was no use...the straps were tightened so hard that he had no amount of leverage to get free.  

"Axel!  Get your chaotic butt back here before I Hurriken you into next Tuesday!"  The bed almost jumped off the ground.  He would release an inhibitor right now if he knew it wouldn't kill him.  With Axel gone, it was just him and Cynthia in the room.  It was a bit awkward...the brothers had never been around women so often in their entire lives.  He smiled.  "Hey Cyn...I suppose you wouldn't mind loosening up these straps."  

"Hey Cyn...don't worry about it!  I'm tougher than I look!  Who knows, maybe encountering death so many times will give me some kind of miracle strength boost!"

​"Heh, yeah... One can hope..." ​It was good to see Ken was feeling better, Cynthia was just hoping he didn't have any hate towards her for that incident with her quill. "I'll be taking my leave then..." Axel must've had other things to do now that Ken was awake, then again, what does he do when it was pretty much break time for the group? Ken was obviously not ok with his brother leaving him, almost made the bed jump. "Axel!  Get your chaotic butt back here before I Hurriken you into next Tuesday!" It was really ironic to see someone like Ken being held back like this.

"Hey Cyn...I suppose you wouldn't mind loosening up these straps." ​Well now that's a tough decision, Cynthia mauled it over for a second. "Sorry Axel..." She got beside the bed and started to untie Ken's hands. ​"Don't make me regret this... Do anything crazy and Axel will have us both scrapped like Dragoon..." ​Of course what's the worse Ken could do? He shouldn't be able to push himself without getting hurt. ​"Which reminds me... Hey uh Reef? How's my Extreme Gear looking? It was pretty banged up after that fight with Dragoon." ​After the big encounter, Hurricane was really in need of repair. Hopefully being the handy, advanced AI she is, Reef would have it fixed up in no time.

wWmO84y.jpg

Axel listened to Alex's words with a frown. So this was what was causing her such distress...

As Zane approached, Axel sighed before locking eyes with the thief. "It's times like this that I wish I had a way with warm words like my brother. Something like: "It will get easier!"... I just can't bring myself to say such absurd lies..."  His brow furrowed at the thought of all the pain him and his allies had endured since their journey started. The fights would only get harder from here.

"However, I can say I'm certain that if you had died in Metropolis, I wouldn't be standing here right now." He wasn't lying. If it weren't for Alex, they all would have died already. Each and every member of this team was indispensable...

"If you can't stand to bare the pain, then I'll be your shield." Axel's grip tightened around the two emeralds in his pocket. He needed to get stronger. His doppelganger was right; if he had more power, then his comrades wouldn't need to suffer. "A person without a purpose will vanish from the emptiness. If you truly feel like you've lost sight of yours, Alex... continue to push forward with us." Axel's goal would always be clear. His revenge. But it seemed that Alex's vision had been overtaken by hopelessness "Help me achieve my reason for living, and I'll help you find yours."

"I'll take in all the suffering that comes with it, so you don't need to. In return, I ask only that you keep lending us your strength..." Zane and joined them now. "I won't let anything happen to my trusted allies. I swear I'll protect you all." 

"Hey Axel...Alex. I hope I wasn't really interrupting anything." Zane spoke up. "I mean, I can come back later if you guys are busy...."  He chuckled a bit, before sighing. "Axel...when you have some time...I...I want you to train me."

"Now is as good a time as ever..." Axel's response was quick. It was subtle, but a spark had lit in his eyes. It had been a while since he had a chance to practice his skills, and after what he said to Alex, the white hedgehog's hunger for strength was in full swing. "I've been meaning to teach you how to use that blade of yours anyway." 

He took a final glance at Alex before stepping towards Zane. With a flick of his wrist, Axel formed a blue saber of energy and pointed it's tip towards the wolf. "Come... I wan't you to strike me at full force." He beckoned Zane forward over the low hum of his chaos blade. He had to see what Zane was capable of before anything...

cEeWVpd.jpg

Light Piercer

​"Don't make me regret this... Do anything crazy and Axel will have us both scrapped like Dragoon..." and like that, Ken was finally free.  He jumped from the bed, but collapsed to his knees on attempting to land.  His legs started to spasm with an incredible pain.

"Arghhhhhhh..." Ken groaned as he pulled himself back up to the bed...it was quite the struggle, but he struggled nonetheless.  He plopped himself back onto the bed, but sat up, facing Cynthia.  He rolled his arms and cracked his knuckles and laughed.  "Looks like I'm not one-hundred percent yet huh?"

​"Which reminds me... Hey uh Reef? How's my Extreme Gear looking? It was pretty banged up after that fight with Dragoon."

"That board's pretty important to you huh?"  Ken said with a smile.  

"Yes Mistress Cynthia!  Repairs concluded yesterday!  Your hover device is as good as new...and maybe even better than before if I don't say so myself."  

"Who taught you how to brag Reef?"  Ken asked. 

"Why...you did of course Master Ken.  You do it on a day to day basis.  It's only natural that I study your habits and learn from them to make myself a better AI."  

"Well...if you were gonna learn from somebody, It might as well be from the best!"  Ken pounded his chest, and then let out a very audible groan.  He must've hit himself in a particularly sore spot.  

SyCquzh.jpg

"Now is as good a time as ever... I've been meaning to teach you how to use that blade of yours anyway. Come... I want you to strike me at full force."

Zane watched as Axel stepped towards him, simply forming his blue saber in his hand, pointing it at the arctic wolf. With both the glow and the hum, Zane knew he was literally ready to take him on like this. Slowly, Zane reached into his vest pocket and pulled out the multi-tool, letting the water spring to life from it as he instantly froze it, before spinning the icy blade in his hand.

Alright Axel...what do you have to teach? Zane thought, exhaling slowly.

-BGM-

Zane made the first move, as Axel suggested, and he began rush towards Axel, instantly skating on the deck of the carrier as he froze the ground beneath his feet. As he neared his target, he quickly slashed upwards with his blade.

Unfortunately, Zane noticed something when approached Axel in this manner. He could tell that the hedgehog's "true sight" was on, so that was going to be a problem. As he slashed upwards, Axel only pivoted to the side at the last moment, before swinging his own chaotic blade towards the wolf's head.

"W-Whoa!" Zane yelped, only backing away from the swipe. Deciding to switch tactics, he dropped to the ground and immediately tried to sweep kick Axel's legs from under him. Heh...if this works, he'll be down and it'll give me a chance t-

Zane's thoughts were cut short when he saw Axel jumping out of the way and gracefully landing on the railing. Tch...show off... he rolled his eyes some.

"Not bad..." That was all Axel's response was, before he decided to leap forward and with his blade, slice downwards towards Zane.

On instinct, Zane quickly lifted his ice blade up to block Axel's strike, the two instantly locked in a power struggle. The two put everything they had into this struggle, but immediately Zane noticed something was wrong. Wait...Axel's blade is...its vibrating! he thought, before noticing something new....it was beginning to eat into the icy blade. What's going on?!

"Your problem is that you're treating your weapon as a tool, rather then an extension of your will..." Axel's words brought Zane back from focusing on the blades themselves and to the hedgehog...who's eyes were now glowing as he seemed to be staring at him...almost as if he was staring straight through him. "Which is why it's easily broken by my blade." Before Zane knew it, his ice blade snapped in two, the blade reverting to its watery form. It knocked Zane back some, but Axel followed it up by kicking him straight in the chest, sending the arctic wolf across the deck.

"G-Gah..." Zane huffed out, slowly getting up as he held his chest. The kick took the wind out of him, but he managed to pull himself up, only to see Axel staring at him even more now.

"What do you fight for Zane? Why do you take up your sword?"

The arctic wolf activated the multi-tool again and created another ice blade, before shaking his head some. "I-Isn't it obvious? Mephiles needs to be stopped..." he said, his grip on the multi-tool's hilt growing tighter. "The things in Metropolis that he did...and even around Mobius...the monster needs to stop." There was another reason...but he couldn't come to terms to admit it. Rather, he only skated back towards Axel, swinging in an upwards motion. Alright...all I got to do is feint him and then strike!! he thought, before immediately dropping the blade into his other hand, as he made a slashing motion towards Axel's chest.

If only it was that simple...

Axel saw through the feint, and from what Zane could see right there and then, the hedgehog's eyes were darting back and forth...why was that? "Revenge?" the ivory hedgehog spoke, before blocking the slash and even batting Zane's blade away. Now the hedgehog began to circle the wolf in a counter clockwise motion. "Is that really why you're here, Zane?"

"Its not revenge..." Zane said, swinging the blade in his hand for a moment. "This monster is getting what's coming to him...call it payback." He quickly then lunged at Axel, only to see him toss his blade up into the air and vanish. Oh sheet...

By the time Zane passed where Axel once stood, the hedgehog reappeared and caught his sword. Without a hesitation in his movement, Axel knelt down on top of Zane, who by this point was on the deck, with his sword at the wolf's neck. "How far are you willing to go to get your "pay back"? How much of yourself are you willing to sacrifice to reach your goal?"

Zane growled a bit, getting frustrated at this point. He pushed his hands onto the deck, before starting to freeze the area around the two of them. He knew at this point, Axel would probably move away...unless he wanted to be frozen.

-BGM-

Thankfully, his hunch was correct, as he felt Axel jumping off him. "Do you really think that this "payback" is anything more than a vendetta for the people you saw die? That's why you want to destroy Mephiles right? Because it's justice?!" Axel scoffed at the arctic wolf.

"I-It's not like that..." Zane mumbled, grabbing his multi-tool as he slowly stood up. He looked up, only to see Axel forming a second chaos blade.

"Sorry, Zane... But you'll never get stronger if you keep fighting for other people." Axel spoke once more, rushing towards Zane with a cross slash in the process. "What do you wish to protect? What do you hold close to you?! Tell me what you're really fighting for!"

Zane lifted up his blade just in time to block the cross slash, but it wasn't enough. The arctic wolf let out a yelp as he was knocked back by this strike, hitting the railing with his back as his multi-tool dropped from his hand and slid across the deck. "W-Why...?" he finally asked, apparently ready to talk. Looking up at Axel, the wolf seemed to have tears being held back in his eyes.

"Y-Yes...I am fighting for others...b-but damnit...it's for a reason I'm DAMNED well justified in!" he shouted, slowly trying to get up, by use of the railing. "I don't want anyone else...to die because of that monster. I-I'm going to make damn well sure it doesn't happen like Metropolis... Not in Knothole...Cha'Aqua...and NOT IN THE NORTHERN TUNDRA!!" It was done...Zane finally let it slip...but he didn't care at this point.

NQHvJ1e.jpg

"It's times like this that I wish I had a way with warm words like my brother. Something like: "It will get easier!"... I just can't bring myself to say such absurd lies..." Right... If only things were that simple... Alex was well aware of the fact that things were just going to get harder from here on. "However, I can say I'm certain that if you had died in Metropolis, I wouldn't be standing here right now." So she was a part in everyone being alive right now? That was... A bit of a shocker to her... But Alex shook it off as dumb luck at first.

"If you can't stand to bare the pain, then I'll be your shield. A person without a purpose will vanish from the emptiness. If you truly feel like you've lost sight of yours, Alex... continue to push forward with us. Help me achieve my reason for living, and I'll help you find yours." Axel's little speech was almost... Touching. It certainly had a sort of... Spark to it.

"I'll take in all the suffering that comes with it, so you don't need to. In return, I ask only that you keep lending us your strength... I won't let anything happen to my trusted allies. I swear I'll protect you all." Alex would be lying if she said she wasn't close to crying. "T-thank you... Axel..."

Zane had approached the two wanting to practice with Axel. As much as she wanted to see this, Alex needed some time alone to think. She walked off silently back into the Light Piercer, what was she fighting for? What was everyone else fighting for. It didn't make sense to her at first, but she was starting to get it now.

wWmO84y.jpg

"W-Why...? Y-Yes...I am fighting for others...b-but damnit...it's for a reason I'm DAMNED well justified in! I don't want anyone else...to die because of that monster. I-I'm going to make damn well sure it doesn't happen like Metropolis... Not in Knothole...Cha'Aqua...and NOT IN THE NORTHERN TUNDRA!!"

Axel remained silent as Zane finally told him what he was really fighting for. "Because..." Axel spoke in a steady tone as he continue to peer into Zane's aura with his cold blue gaze. "The path of an avenger doesn't suit you, Zane." Though it was like a blizzard, once you peered past the flurries of snow, Zane's aura was quite like Ken's; warm and full of light. He would loose himself if he kept pursuing Mephiles for his "payback"...

Such a task better suited Axel himself, who's aura lacked the same light that the others had. He'd shoulder the weight of vengeance so that people like Zane wouldn't have to. "Would you still stand to face Mephiles if your home weren't in danger?" As he spoke, Axel stepped forward and picked up the multi-tool that had rolled over to his side of the deck. "Would you risk your life for me or the others if you didn't know that we were the world's last hope?! Would you fight alongside us even if you hadn't seen the deaths of those in Metropolis?! " His voice boomed across the deck.

"I believe you would." Axel's gaze soften slightly. "Because that's who you are, Zane..." A cold wind swept across the deck as Axel allowed his words a moment to sink in. "It's not selfish to fight for your home, and it's fine to be here simply because you know it's the right thing to do. You can fight for yourself whilst still protecting others, Zane. Because if they're what's important to you, it's all the same, isn't it?"

Axel continued by bringing Zane's weapon up and activating it, causing a blade of water to materialize. "You've been granted a weapon that only you can wield," He said whilst nodding to the useless water construct. "That means it's your duty to decide if it's that of a hero, or one who seeks payback." Axel sighed. He had done a lot of talking today hadn't he? Somewhere Silver was probably smiling...

Satisfied that he had said all he could, Axel deactivated the multi-tool and tossed it towards Zane. "But I suppose it's my job to show you how to use it..." Axel returned to his usual aloof demeanor as he raised one of his chaos blades and pointed it towards Zane once again. They were right back where they started...

"We'll work on your movements first! Think you can land a hit on me by sundown?" Axel beckoned Zane to come at him. They would train for the next eight hours until reef finish her report.

End of Chapter 4.5

IsOSufc.png

Chapter 5: A Drop of Dew

Light Piercer - Main Deck

"We are now approximately fifteen minutes away from Dewdrop city..." Reef's voice announced to the gathered crew as they waited patiently for their first glimpse of the city. It had now been a week since they had defeated Storm Dragoon and secured the second chaos emerald, and after some much need rest the team was at full strength, and ready for their next stop on this adventure.

"Despite her attempts, Reef couldn't manage to secure any new information about the city..." Axel addressed his fellow freedom fighters from his usual place atop the ships railing. "I've also tried my best to scan the area with my senses, but it seems like there is some kind of barrier around the land." He sighed in annoyance. "I'm not sure if it's physical or just meant to protect form foreign chaos energy, but at this point I say we should prepare for the worst..."

"T-That would be a understatement, Master Axel..." Reef's voice suddenly chimed in again with a new sense of urgency. Moments later, the ship's emergency sirens began to flash and various alarms came to life across the deck.

"Reef, what's going on?!" Leaping off the railing Axel got into a ready stance as he began scanning the parameter. Though he didn't need his senses to see the what the danger was...

"We're surrounded... Multiple unidentified airships..."

Axel's eyes widened in shock as he was met with the sight of several sleek looking vessels flying all around the Light Piercer. Their movements were swift and nuanced, and each ship seemed to be locked in crisp militaristic formation. It seemed that the residence of Dewdrop had also been preparing for this meeting...

"Their weapons are locked on... I-It seem's they plan to board us!"

"Bad idea..." Axel growled before forming a chaos blade and getting into his fighting stance. They were about to find out that they had picked a fight with the wrong people...

Archived