Voltron: Legendary Defender

Astro Dude

Ladies and Gentlemen, Voltron is Back! A brand new story animated by the animators who brought you Avatar the Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra.

A shame this is only 13 episodes. I hope there are more on the way, also hope this does not end like Tai Chi Chasers English dub did.

Okay maybe I should elaborate:

[spoiler=A few things come to mind, first, Anyone remember Sven? Well he is reborn as the veteran Shiro. Second, and old school Voltron fans brace yourselves for this:]PIDGE IS A GIRL!

(Insert Tree's Apprentice Luigi's Pants are purple explosion screen here)

Don't blame me, my guess is this was a fresh new take. I really wish Season 2 would come out already.

My guess Dreamworks borrows a lot from source material.

But really, Allura is Voltron's power source, Coran being a nut, Keith being rebelious, Lance pilots blue lion, Keith pilots red, Shiro pilots black?

I can not even imagine what they will do to Lotor.

Lotor: I actually like mature women, as long as they don't look like Haggar.

Oh yeah I'm hyped for th- *Reads that Pidge is a girl in this* ....how the hell did I not notice this? o.o

Okay, I'm sorry (the old Voltron fan in me rising), buuuuuut Pidge was always a guy. If they wanted a woman on the team, they could've...ooooohhhh I dunno...given Allura back her Blue Lion!! >_> That and...who in the name of Zarkon is Shiro/Sven? I don't even remember this guy and now they got him piloting the Black Lion? *holds head* Aiiieeee...this is giving me a headache...

I'm not gonna knock it...it's just some things are like...why? If it worked for us back then, it should be working for us now. Silver-lining...I'm glad we're actually keeping some coordination with the suit colors. I'm still looking back at the older series where the only two pilots who matched their lions were Pidge and Hunk.

Oh yeah I'm hyped for th- *Reads that Pidge is a girl in this* ....how the hell did I not notice this? o.o

Okay, I'm sorry (the old Voltron fan in me rising), buuuuuut Pidge was always a guy. If they wanted a woman on the team, they could've...ooooohhhh I dunno...given Allura back her Blue Lion!! >_> That and...who in the name of Zarkon is Shiro/Sven? I don't even remember this guy and now they got him piloting the Black Lion? *holds head* Aiiieeee...this is giving me a headache...

I'm not gonna knock it...it's just some things are like...why? If it worked for us back then, it should be working for us now. Silver-lining...I'm glad we're actually keeping some coordination with the suit colors. I'm still looking back at the older series where the only two pilots who matched their lions were Pidge and Hunk.

Sven/Takashi Shirogane was the first pilot of the Blue Lion in the original Voltron/GoLion series, who was replaced by Allura/Fala after falling into a coma (dying in GoLion).

And to be frank, I'm quite relieved that we don't have to stand that Smurfette Principle bullshit anymore. I'm sorry for all the most purist classic Voltron fans, but I think cast diversity helps make stories richer, and nowadays, with more and more girls watching action shows like this, a 5:1 gender ratio (not that there's anything inherently wrong with that, though) is increasingly failing to appeal to the audience. And I believe once girl shows become more mainstream, they'll follow the same path, with the strict market split between genders slowly disappearing. And besides, there are plenty of cases where a character's gender changed between adaptations without derailing them, so Pidge can still be Pidge despite being a girl now (though admittedly the whole main cast went through several changes in characterization unrelated to matters of diversity anyways). It's better to watch to draw your own conclusions. I liked the new ititeration (although I haven't actually watched the original show, only did a bit of research on it), though one could argue they could take a few more risks with it, but I hope Season 2 helps fix that.

I was easily mistaken him to be a girl because of the headbang when i was a kid

i was probably too young or i have not been paying attention when they are referring him to be a he

in the Legendary Defender, despite Pidge still in her boy disguise, it makes it hard for me to see Pidge as a girl.

pidge2.jpg

Pidge is amazing in this show and I will fight you to the death over her perfection ciaossu

Your old Voltron is trash

Lance x Keith otp

1620b570-f175-0133-243b-0e1b1c96d76b.gif

1.) Pidge is amazing in this show and I will fight you to the death over her perfection ciaossu

2.) Your old Voltron is trash

3.) Lance x Keith otp

1620b570-f175-0133-243b-0e1b1c96d76b.gif

We gonna have some problems, amigo...

1. That's the problem though. Pidge was never a woman...he was a nerdy guy. Now I'm not saying that it doesn't look cool...all I'm saying is, if your going to throw a female on it, why recreate a male as a female for that purpose? There was a perfectly good princess available xD
  2. It was from the 80s/90s era...of course it has nothing compared to nowadays...but...without the old relics, they wouldn't have had any reference for the current day!
  3. Yeah...gonna say no on that. I don't see LancexKeith happening at all xD

We gonna have some problems, amigo...

1. That's the problem though. Pidge was never a woman...he was a nerdy guy. Now I'm not saying that it doesn't look cool...all I'm saying is, if your going to throw a female on it, why recreate a male as a female for that purpose? There was a perfectly good princess available xD
  2. It was from the 80s/90s era...of course it has nothing compared to nowadays...but...without the old relics, they wouldn't have had any reference for the current day!
  3. Yeah...gonna say no on that. I don't see LancexKeith happening at all xD

1. New Pidge is infinitely better than old, crappy, boring pidge. Now you have 2 whole female characters oh my god

2. funk your relics they know exactly what they're doing

voltron-anime-references.png?itok=9Xh0E3

3. Keith hates Lance so much he could recognize his mullet from a mile away. Also they bonded. Lance held Keith in his arms. If not a relationship, they at least are gonna hatefuck.

If they wanted a female pilot, it was either that or replace one of the guys, and it doesn't seem like they wanted to leave anyone out from the party XP

To be fair, I can see where old Voltron fans are coming from, but TBH, as someone who hasn't watched the original show, I'm not too bothered by it, plus I don't think changing the character's gender in this particular situation made a lot of difference. She still occupies the same niché.

Now, now, Agro, I'm with you on that, but let's not a start a war! Delicate matters like that require some... caution O_O

I said it before but it kind of makes me wonder what Lotor will be like.

One minute he could be :"I'm so awesome. Fear me puny mortals." and the next he could be "Oh Alurra, I'll do anything for you!"

Nah, he's going to be

[spoiler=Spoiler]Keith, since it's pretty obvious by this point he's a Galran. Ironic twist incoming.

I don't get the outcry about making Pidge a girl. This is a reboot to the original series. They are drawing on the base ideas and changing them for a modern take. I don't remember how much of the original Voltron I watched, but that doesn't matter. This is a new series, with new ideas to be explored and honestly I super enjoyed the first season.

I don't get the outcry about making Pidge a girl. This is a reboot to the original series. They are drawing on the base ideas and changing them for a modern take. I don't remember how much of the original Voltron I watched, but that doesn't matter. This is a new series, with new ideas to be explored and honestly I super enjoyed the first season.

I never really got why people have issues with the race, gender, or sexuality of characters changing between iterations. I can think of only a very few cases (all of which involve race) in which changing one of those 3 things would fundamentally change a character. It doesn't really matter because for the most part the character is still the same, or (like in the case of Pidge) the newer iteration of series is so far removed from the original that having the character be the same wouldn't make sense.

tl;dr race, gender, and sexuality are not fundamental parts of a character and it shouldn't matter if newer iterations change them

That being said I haven't actually watched this yet, but it's on my list (just as soon as I catch up on miraculous). Also anybody else think it's funny that this was mentioned in Deadpool and now it's getting a reboot 

Also Shiro is daddy

I never really got why people have issues with the race, gender, or sexuality of characters changing between iterations. I can think of only a very few cases (all of which involve race) in which changing one of those 3 things would fundamentally change a character. It doesn't really matter because for the most part the character is still the same, or (like in the case of Pidge) the newer iteration of series is so far removed from the original that having the character be the same wouldn't make sense.

tl;dr race, gender, and sexuality are not fundamental parts of a character and it shouldn't matter if newer iterations change them

That being said I haven't actually watched this yet, but it's on my list (just as soon as I catch up on miraculous). Also anybody else think it's funny that this was mentioned in Deadpool and now it's getting a reboot 

Also Shiro is daddy

Yeah, some people are worried about going too PC, and that's understandable, especially when if a "girl show" is allowed to have a show with an all-female main cast like MLP (unless you count Spike) while "boy shows" like Voltron are "forced" to include a girl into the main cast. But TBH, I think those gender labels are stupid when it comes to media; we should be more worried about making a good show than making a boy or girl show. And more diversity always gives a work more colour (no pun intended XD). Even so, having a homogenous main cast sometimes isn't going to be the end of the world - especially if there Is a good reason for that in-story. That said, I'm still very fond of Pidge's take here.

Since you've opted to not receive messages from me, probably because I'm a moderator and you don't want to hear when you've done something wrong, I'm going to say this publicly.

I hid the spoiler in your first post under… well, a spoiler tag. I was already aware of the spoiler, but I haven't watched the show myself, though I plan to soon, so I didn't want to let anyone else fall for that spoiler. I really should have caught that once you first posted your thread, since you posted this merely two days after the series was released. From what I understand, that spoiler isn't revealed until around episode six, so expecting people to have either watched up to there over the course of two days without stumbling about a spoiler you will so blatantly show is unfair.

If you're going to post a huge spoiler like that, don't put it in giant text, and more importantly, use spoiler tags. You were actually drawing more attention to the spoiler as you had it before, so anyone who had to "brace" themselves really couldn't because they're more likely to see the spoiler before your warning that there is such a spoiler. I get that you're trying to have fun, but seriously, you are way too casual with spoilers. I still remember when you just casually wanted to talk about the ending to Dream Drop Distance the very same day it was released in Japan, completely disregarding anyone waiting for the American release. That was four years ago, and you actually made an even bigger mistake with the Voltron spoiler. So it's disappointing that, four years later, I'm not seeing as much improvement.

You do seem capable of realizing when to use spoiler tags judging by this post, so please consider using them more instead of immediately throwing around spoilers before anyone realistically has a chance to be familiar with the twists, and also be considerate to those who may not actually want you to so casually spoil something, since they may want to experience the stories for themselves first.

Archived