Pokémon: Tournament of Riddles [IC]

~Faytl~

Pokémon: Tournament of Riddles

Episode 1 - Arrival

The skies of Sinnoh were clear that day. Bright blue and scarcely a cloud in sight, the sun shone brightly across the white-tipped waves of the ocean that swept below, Water Pokemon occasionally popping up above the waves to be spotted for a brief moment before dropping down back beneath the water. Wingull and Pelipper flew through the air, their caws sounding loudly across the empty expanse of sea. Though even their loud shrieks couldn’t be louder than the blades of the helicopters that streaked above the tides, rotors whirring noisily, Pokemon diverting their flight paths to avoid the collection of eight golden flying machines. They drew together from different directions, all having flown in from slightly different locations.

“Ah, so all the competitors are here, then!” called out the pilot of the foremost copter. He looked over his shoulder at the blue-haired young man who sat behind him and his copilot, in the main body of the copter. “I wish you the best of luck in battling them, Mr. Hikari!” he said jovially into his microphone, the headset their passenger had been equipped with buzzing with his words. “My kid’s a big fan of yours! He’ll be rooting for you to win it all!”

He placed his hand on the console in front of him, adjusting his radio to link up to a common channel he shared with the other chopper headsets. “This is Wilkes, reporting in. Everyone make it alright?”

“Sure did, Tim,” one of the pilots responded. “Drinks at the resort when we land?”

“First round is on me, Jonas,” the pilot assured him, laughing jovially. “If Mr. Noble doesn’t buy us enough to cross our eyes first!”
The other helicopters carried similar payloads: A pilot, copilot, and one passenger in the back of the chopper, and they were headed for the same destination as well. One of the few collections of clouds, a low-hanging group collected together in a large clump that extended to block the view of the ocean, loomed ahead.

One of the pilots of a helicopter that flew in the middle of the pack turned to call back to her passenger. “Just watch! It’s quite a sight here in a minute,” she assured the small dark-haired girl behind her. One after another, the helicopters plunged into the mass of clouds, careful to space out far enough that there was no risk of crashing into each other in the low visibility.

The choppers rocked a bit in the turbulence inside the cloud, the windows misting over with condensation that flew along the sides in their speed to be flung out into the foggy abyss. “Almost through it,” Wilkes assured his passenger, and he had barely said it as they burst from the cloud out into daylight once more. “Welcome, to Blackdragon Isle.”

If the eight passengers looked out the windows of their helicopters, they would see a large series of islands below them, three long chains of terrain coated in green forest in the center of the blue oceanic expanse, arranged in the shape of a dragon’s claw.

The northernmost island was largest, the many complexes that had been raised there over the last year drawing the eye. A harbor bearing many large ships took up a big chunk of the northwest shore, from cruise ships to supply ships, many passengers and crates respectively flooding off the vessels, the people rapidly dispersing across the large, colorful array of buildings that awaited them, their cries of excitement and happiness a tide of sound that even managed to reach the helicopters in small snatches.

The areas that awaited them contained restaurants, shops, small, casual-sized battle arenas. Many vendors lined the paved paths that connected them, loudly advertising their wares as people and Pokemon alike craned their necks to take it all in as they walked between the palm trees spread liberally across the complex. One girl looked up to see the golden helicopters fly by overhead, her gaze following them as they swept east above the heads of the patrons as they milled about the area that was surmounted by a giant, open-air battle arena, a coliseum larger than most of the competitors were likely to have ever seen.

The two southern isles would, by contrast, look basically untouched, but for the occasional view of several silver domes. Otherwise, the natural splendor of these areas was largely intact.

“Coming in for our landing!” called one pilot to his white-haired passenger. They were approaching three buildings all grouped in a rough triangle. Two were long buildings comprised of white and red brick, gleaming freshly in the bright sunshine. The third was taller, a veritable skyscraper of blue-green glass, an absolute giant of a building that dominated the view. The entire ensemble was gorgeous, a paradise out here in the vast ocean.

The top of the largest building was large enough that it contained a series of helipads with room to spare, five to each side. Only one was occupied, leaving plenty for the helicopters to descend and land one by one, giving each other enough space and time to land safely.

“This is the VIP Resort!” a pilot explained to his coat-wearing passenger as the others gave a much similar explanation. “The top floor is reserved for the eight of you during the tournament, of course; not even Mr. Noble is taking the penthouse floor! Speaking of him, he’s meeting you all up here, he won’t be a minute!”

Gradually the chopper blades began to cease their whirling, and the competitors of the tournament that was to take place here on Blackdragon Isle exited their choppers, their gazes beholding each other, those they could come to battle in the ensuing days. There atop the sky-high windy rooftop they all were finally gathered in the same place.

“Ah! I see you’ve arrived! Welcome, competitors!” If they turned to the doorway that led off the roof and into the building proper, they would see a short man of about fifty or sixty, a rotund gentleman with graying hair in his large, extravagant moustache, and wearing a suit of a very vibrant green. He peered out with joyous hazel eyes from behind his thick round spectacles, and his face held the visage of a man who spent a good deal laughing and smiling. Instantly recognizable, the man they saw was the one who had brought them there: Mr. Roderick Noble.

“Such a pleasure to meet all of you face-to-face at last!” he called out over the wind, stepping forward to enthusiastically shake their hands one by one, taking their hands in a solid grip between his own and shaking joyously. “If you’ll follow me downstairs, we can acquaint ourselves with one another properly, in the comfort of the penthouse.” He brandished his ornate walking stick, a cedar model with a golden Pidove surmounting the top. “Shall we be off?” he asked excitedly.

He led the group through the door, a pair of stairs leading to their right and an elevator before them, Noble expertly hitting the Down button with the end of his fancy cane, the elevator opening instantly to receive them. In the ride down, the elevator even big enough for the nine of them to stand comfortably, Noble occasionally whistled, bobbing up and down on his toes jovially.

After a few seconds, the elevator let out a melodious DING, and the doors opened for the group to be greeted with a brilliant sight. A large, expansive room awaited them, freshly cleaned and gleaming across every surface. The floors were of white marble, traces of black and gold woven into their design, smooth pillars at the sides of the room that held a sprawling upper level, sweeping staircases leading up to it from the back of the room. They would come to eventually see a kitchen stocked with enough supplies and implements to be its own five star restaurant on this upper level, though it wasn’t as impressive as the massive television screen that looked approximately as big as a small house, somehow suspended in the air before them without any visible means of support. Light from the floor-to-ceiling windows washed over the black leather couches arranged in a diamond pattern before the screen, a central coffee table of rich mahogany in the center decked out with all manner of expensive and luxurious snacking items. Two large balconies could be entered through doors off to the sides, the balconies each holding a hot tub the size of the average bedroom and an exquisite view.

On either side, residing under the overhang of the second level, were four doors, each labeled with a golden number plate and the name of one of the competitors. Between the doors were four bright-eyed youths, two women and two men, all smiling politely as the competitors entered. Another woman, slightly older, maybe near thirty, was standing behind one of the couches, to the side of the screen. She held a reserved, stern expression, her brown hair bundled up into a tight bun as her blue eyes looked calmly at the nine entries, nodding politely. Her suit was a darker, more modest shade of Noble’s own green monstrosity, and Noble joined her quickly, turning to gesture welcomingly at the four couches, each big enough to easily accommodate two of the competitors.

First level floor plan - Penthouse
WZMjCnk.png
“Please, please, take a seat. As I’m sure you know, I am Roderick Noble, organizer of this smashing event! This here,” he said, elbowing the woman beside him, his elbow not quite reaching her waist. “This here is Eva Vaccaro,” he said by way of introduction, Eva once again inclining her head respectfully after flashing Noble an annoyed look in response to the elbow. “She’s my personal secretary and assistant. And the four others you see here are here to assist you; they are here if you should ever require anything, and I’m sure they’ll introduce themselves to you in due course.”

He tapped his cane on the floor, grinning widely. “Now then, everyone… How was your trip? Are you excited for the journey ahead?”

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-BGM-

“Almost through it. Welcome, to Blackdragon Isle.”

Iori's head shifted towards the helicopter's window, as they burst through the clouds. There...Blackdragon Isle was seen. Finally here... he thought, looking down at the sleeping Umbreon that had curled himself on his lap. Iori smiled, only beginning to gently rub his Pokémon's ears. Kage slowly awoke, smiling at his trainer before looking outside the window.

"There it is Kage...the start of our next adventure." Iori smiled, as Kage nodded firmly at his trainer.

“This is the VIP Resort! The top floor is reserved for the eight of you during the tournament, of course; not even Mr. Noble is taking the penthouse floor! Speaking of him, he’s meeting you all up here, he won’t be a minute!”

Iori simply nodded, as the helicopter landed and came to a stop. He took a deep breath, moving as he grabbed his bag. He quickly slung it over his shoulder and grabbed the bokken he brought, fastening it's sheath to his left side. He opened the door and finally exited the chopper, feeling Kage swiftly jumping onto his bag, laying on it and his shoulder. The gentle breeze washed against him, as he exhaled quietly. Iori's gaze was soon filled with seeing his competition exiting from their own choppers.

Hmm...seven and myself...a total of eight competitors? Iori thought, before finally walking away from his chopper. It must be a very invitation only tournament then. Nevertheless...it should be interesting.

“Ah! I see you’ve arrived! Welcome, competitors! Such a pleasure to meet all of you face-to-face at last! If you’ll follow me downstairs, we can acquaint ourselves with one another properly, in the comfort of the penthouse. Shall we be off?”

There in the flesh was Roderick Noble. The esteemed host of this tournament on Blackdragon Isle. Obviously this man spared no expense. But as quickly as he and his competitors were greeted, they were soon following the host down towards another room. Soon they would enter a very spacious room, with four couches in the middle. However, Iori's eyes wandered, even noticing that on both the right and left of the room were four doors with gold plated numbers...each one with the competitors names as well.

Number 3? Well, at least that would make me in the top four... Iori thought with a smile, as he noticed Kage just in awe with all the sights that he was beholding.

“Now then, everyone… How was your trip? Are you excited for the journey ahead?”

Iori nodded at Roderick, before making his way to sit down on the couch nearest to him. "Mr. Noble, an honor to meet you." he said, making a courteous bow, before sitting down on the couch, Kage immediately hopping onto his lap. "The trip here, satisfying. I much rather had preferred to fly here myself...but alas, the pilots know their way here much better than myself and Sora."

fAaQon2.jpg?1

51njId3.jpg?1

Tabitha hadn't been too impressed by all the sight seeing she saw.  It's what she expected after all.  A big island chain owned by a rich guy would surely be stacked to the brim with all these luxuries.  As the helicopter landed, and she exited, she scoffed as her eyes met up with the other contestants.  No one looked particularly interesting...they'd be easy to crush beneath her heel.  

“Ah! I see you’ve arrived! Welcome, competitors! Such a pleasure to meet all of you face-to-face at last! If you’ll follow me downstairs, we can acquaint ourselves with one another properly, in the comfort of the penthouse. Shall we be off?”

Tabitha couldn't help but roll her eyes.  It was all just padding.  People weren't this genuinely nice.  They were led into a room with four couches, a suspended monitor, and five other people.  Four of them stood smiling while the other looked more disciplined.  The warm fuzzy atmosphere was tying he stomach in a knot.  Behind her, she saw her name in gold plating along with the number 7. 

"Lucky number 7 huh?"   Her frown seemed to contort into a sick kind of smile.  "Guess the odds are in my favor huh?"  

"Excited to kick everyone of these sad saps out..."  She thought to herself.  However, now she had to turn on the cute demeanor...to try and get a leg above all of these male contestants.  "Oh of course Mr. Noble!  I'm so excited to get these fun battles underway!  I just hope that I don't get knocked out too early...that'd be a shame..."  Tabitha rubbed her wrists together, as her hips swayed up and down.  She would play the whole 'defenseless damsel' act for now.  

Harrison was used to sweeping vistas- it came from a youth spent on airlines, and exploring the beautiful Hoenn region didn't hurt in that regard either.

However, the tall, well-dressed man didn't say as much. Quietly, he examined everyone around him in an attempt to determine what everyone would be doing. After all, given the obvious amount of deference and respect everyone was being shown, this was going to be a Pokémon tournament of the absolute highest caliber.

Harrison was not actually used to attending tournaments on a scale this grand- an entire island, and possibly three, being set aside for just one tournament was damned-near the definition of overkill.

The brown-haired man recognized quite a few faces, both from his affluent upbringing and by studying magazines between attended tournaments. At this point, Greataxe would likely be egging him on for some kind of action. However, he kept silent as he continued watching the other seven competitors.

Sure enough, one stepped forward before Harrison, talking to Mr. Noble with a kind of vigor, speaking pleasantries. Harrison himself had a dim memory of the aging gentleman from when he was still with his jet-setting parents, but both men had been considerably younger then, and he doubted the considerably richer man remembered him.

The quiet man eyed the plaque, and noted each name individually. With his own name in fourth, he would most likely be matched with Iori Takeda, or Blake Thrush.

His thoughts were quickly interrupted by a young woman in a cat hoodie, quite loudly expousing what a "shame" it would be if she lost. Harrison huffed- there was one at every tournament, he supposed, and he waited for her to be done before speaking, himself.

"The trip was uneventful, Mr. Noble, and the tournament ahead will presumably be business as usual . . . if considerably more difficult due to precisely whom is involved," he conceded. "It is indeed a pleasure to be here."

The cleanliness, the brightness of it all was admittedly somewhat overwhelming, so Harrison called Cassandra out and scratched the white fur on the back of her neck to soothe his nerves. The Disaster Pokémon trilled softly, red eyes flicking from person to person.

Abigail was thrilled, to say the least. Having never flown before, boats being her method of transportation between regions of choice, the sight was breathtaking. And she wasn't the only one enjoying it: trapped in a hug between Abigail's arms to stop him from flying out, Dojiro the Farfetch'd was thrilled. Depending on the situation, Abigail would always have at least one Pokemon outside with her. Given the reduced space, Dojiro was her only partner for the flight, "I wonder if we can catch Pokemon here. I mean, you never have too many buddies, don't you Dojiro?" The bird Pokemon quaked cheerfuly, still eager to fly out of the chopper.

As the aircraft landed, the first to exit was the bird Pokemon, stretching his wings by flying around for as long as he could (given that ducks' wings aren't precisely made for flying) before waddling back to her owner, who in turn looked around at the people nearby. She didn't introduce herself yet, wanting to pay her respects to Mr. Noble, who she found greeting everybody personally,

“Ah! I see you’ve arrived! Welcome, competitors! Such a pleasure to meet all of you face-to-face at last! If you’ll follow me downstairs, we can acquaint ourselves with one another properly, in the comfort of the penthouse. Shall we be off?”

"Abigail Summers. A pleasure and honor to meet you sir! I'm really happy to be here!" She excitedly chirped, shaking her host's hand vigorously, as well as following him and the rest of the group downstairs.

They reached a room with some comfortable-looking couches and Dojiro was the first to sit, in the one directly in front of Abigail. The young girl, knowing the couch could only accomodate 2 people, squatted next to her partner, "Tired of laying on my lap, Dojiro? Fine, you can stay there. Don't bother the good person who's gonna sit next to you, okay hun?" She pleaded as she peeked at whoever was closest to her, who was probably going to sit down next to the little duck.

"The trip was fun! It's true what they say about the islands, they do look like a claw!" Abigail answered, enthusiastic, "We're ready here, right Dojiro?" The sitting duck extended his wings happily, quaking as if he was trying to imitate speech, "That means yes." She smiled honestly, being happier than ever before about being given such a good opportunity, specially given the low amount of guests in the room. A feeling of combined nervousness and excitement was slowly creeping up on the young girl, with the former being predominant. Anyhow, she scouted the room, looking for somebody to start a conversation with. Nothing bad with making friends out of your rivals, right? 

OW

To say that Blake was glad that he was out of the air in that rickety helicopter was an understatement. Despite being a Fire Pokemon loving fanatic, he was better suited on a boat than on a helicopter- hence why he'd gone in search for a boat to take him to the island. Instead, he was met by bitter reality punching him in the face with the fact that it was either fly high or don't soar into legendhood at all. Of course, he might've already reached legendhood if Roderick Noble himself was acknowledging his training prowess, but those kinds of thoughts rarely entered Blake's mind. Instead, the only thoughts flying around Blake's head were ones of nausea and of caution.

The instant his feet touched the ground, he crumbled- only supported by his twin Pokemon Pupil and Obo, who managed to catch their trainer before he smashed his nose against the pristine helicopter pad. The moment Blake stood, however, he dashed to the edge of the pad, and tossed up all that breakfast he had prior to reaching the helipad. He knew he shouldn't have had the last of his pancakes that morning.

"Guoooh..." He groaned, head hanging off the side of the building in a mixture of sickness and shame. Still, hearing Mr. Roderick's voice, he knew that he had to get his act together. He figured that looking this sick probably wasn't going to help his position with the rest of the tourney participants, so he quickly got to his feet, and wiped his face off. "Yeah... Yeah I'm fine, guys." He croaked, his throat hoarse from retching. He was speaking to his Pokemon, however, and not the rest of the participants. "It's just- well, you know how I am about flying!" He attempted a grin, though it came out looking much, much more pained than he planned.

“Ah! I see you’ve arrived! Welcome, competitors! Such a pleasure to meet all of you face-to-face at last! If you’ll follow me downstairs, we can acquaint ourselves with one another properly, in the comfort of the penthouse. Shall we be off?”

"Ah- hey! Wait for me!" He cried, sprinting across the pad as fast as possible as to not miss his elevator ride. Thankfully, he managed to reach it before the doors closed, and sidle his way into the elevator before it shut him out of the competition before it even started. Geez, not even thirty minutes in and he was already making mistakes. Still, who knows? Maybe this story had a happy ending, and he just couldn't see it right now!

- - - - -

By the time that they reached the main room, Blake was sick again, and was turning a shade of green rather reminiscent of Mr. Roderick's suit. His Shedinja and Ninjask were eyeing him carefully, ready to soar out of arms reach in case he tossed it again, but thankfully they reached their destination with enough time to spare. Blake, basically holding onto the wall for dear life, stumbled lastly out of the elevator, his vision swimming. Still, even in a sick haze he could tell this place was top notch. His Pokemon would love it here. After he stumbled about like a drunken leech, he managed to find a place to sit- next to a duck, of all things. Though his Ninjask was flitting about the room, looking this place and that excitedly, his Shedinja- Obo- stared at the Farfetch'd with her usual blank expression, examining him. Blake's head hung between his shoulders as a cloud of funk hung over his head.

"Why couldn't we have taken a boat or something Mr. Roderick..." Blake muttered glumly, his expression worsening. He hoped Mr. Roderick wouldn't hold them up too long- he could feel another dizzy spell coming on. Though, he noticed the young lady sitting next to him, and attempted a friendly smile, though even he could tell how pained it was. This day was going from bad to worse really, astronomically fast.

Gold. The helicopter was colored gold. Yeah, it was a trivial detail, but... It still baffled Reno. He say inside the helicopter, being very quiet. He really didn't have anything to say, and besides, his Shuckle Susanowo was sleeping right now. The pokemon was sitting on his head, wrapping its tentacles around his chin, like he was a bike helmet.

“I wish you the best of luck in battling them, Mr. Hikari!” his pilot suddenly said jovially into his microphone, the headset buzzing with the words. “My kid’s a big fan of yours! He’ll be rooting for you to win it all!” Reno gave a soft smile to that.

"I'll do my best not to disappoint him then," Reno replied, looking out the window. He still couldn't believe it. Was he really considered good enough to fly to an island, to be apart of a tournament, that people would watch? The thought baffled him. Did he really make this much progress from the useless boy he was?

It didn't take long for the helicopters to land, and Reno walked out of it after bidding farewell to his pilots. Susanowo had woken up on his head, yawning and looking around as Reno did the same. Eight people all together in this, huh? Well, he was hoping he could win. These people probably won all sorts of major tournaments, or were rich, or hell, maybe one was frickin' Zekrom turned into a human. He didn't know.

“Ah! I see you’ve arrived! Welcome, competitors!” The jolly voice of Roderick Noble called out. Reno couldn't help but smile. He couldn't explain it... But it felt nostalgic, like Roderick was an old grandfather welcoming them home. “Such a pleasure to meet all of you face-to-face at last!” he called out over the wind, stepping forward to enthusiastically shake their hands one by one. While others would be suspicious of such a man, Reno was a simple soul, and he only found comfort with this man's words. “If you’ll follow me downstairs, we can acquaint ourselves with one another properly, in the comfort of the penthouse.” A penthouse? There was a penthouse? Arcues almighty... “Shall we be off?” he asked excitedly.

The young man in a old man's body lead them down an elevator... Where one person looked like he was going to be very sick. Reno scooted away from him. Last thing he wanted was to vomited on. Soon the elevator stopped, leading them to a room with four couches. The others could sit down, but Reno was sitting the whole time on that copter. He just stood at the edge of a couch, waiting.

“Please, please, take a seat. As I’m sure you know, I am Roderick Noble, organizer of this smashing event! This here,” he said, elbowing the woman beside him, his elbow not quite reaching her waist. “This here is Eva Vaccaro,” he said by way of introduction, Eva once again inclining her head respectfully after flashing Noble an annoyed look in response to the elbow. “She’s my personal assistant. And the four others you see here are here to assist you; they are here if you should ever require anything, and I’m sure they’ll introduce themselves to you in due course.”

He tapped his cane on the floor, grinning widely. “Now then, everyone… How was your trip? Are you excited for the journey ahead?”

Reno remained quiet. He didn't particularly have anything interesting to say, nor did he think anything he would say would matter to these people. Words never made him accepted by people, actions did.

bqrPOoh.png
Being flown around from place to place wasn't new to Damian Fletcher. He'd often travel to a new region via airplane rather than by boat, preferring it since it was a much faster method of travel. However, he'd never imagined that he'd have the chance to be picked up by his own helicopter... and certainly not one that was gold. Damian was surprised to see such a thing overhead, but watched as it began its descent, the air around it forced away by its rotors and blowing against his hair and dress.

"Huh... guess that is our ride," he mused aloud, before turning to his faithful Banette, "You ready?"

The Banette nodded gleefully, already following his master inside and sitting on his lap as he sat down. No doubt the helicopter would take off again after Damian was settled. He spent some time viewing the scenery, but about midway through the flight, Damian took one of his gloves and inspected the ends of his fingers whilst the pilot was concentrating on where he was going. They'd recovered nicely from having been filed off, which was good. After all, it would be difficult to explain arriving to an event with bleeding fingers. Satisfied, Damian slipped the glove back on, waiting for the helicopter to land again.

“Ah! I see you’ve arrived! Welcome, competitors! Such a pleasure to meet all of you face-to-face at last! If you’ll follow me downstairs, we can acquaint ourselves with one another properly, in the comfort of the penthouse. Shall we be off?” with that, Roderick Noble had lead Damian inside and down into a separate room, as well as seven others that had presumably also been invited. Damian took the time to observe his competition. If Damian would have to guess who he could possibly lose to in this tournament, it would be the man to his very left; Reno Hikari. Damian had heard of him before, and he had made a big name for himself it seemed. But the rest of them were all small fry, to be honest. Damian looked over at Reno briefly, but then turned away and looked up to the ceiling.

'We'll see who wins this competition,' he thought to himself, as he reclined on the couch that he had been sitting on.

0dD0BvM.png

Blackdragon Isle

Shaun looked over the window of the helicopter. They had just flown through a cluster a clouds and, from behind the clouds, Blackdragon Isle revealed itself. The chain of islands, the forest greens, and the oceanic blue all melded together into a beautiful scene. It all filled him with determination. Looking over his shoulder was an Empoleon, "We're almost here, Poseidon" Shaun placed his hand on the penguins shoulder, whom simple nodded. 

Shaun exited the helicopter as soon as it landed, Poseidon following shortly behind him.  “Ah! I see you’ve arrived! Welcome, competitors!” He, alongside his competition, was greeted by an older man. “Such a pleasure to meet all of you face-to-face at last!” He shook everyone's hands. There was no doubt that this man was Mr. Noble. “If you’ll follow me downstairs, we can acquaint ourselves with one another properly, in the comfort of the penthouse. Shall we be off?" He said, bursting with excitement as if he was one of the competitors.

The group was lead to an extravagant room with four couches, each one clearly meant to seat two people each. As he walked on the white marble, he noticed that there were doors on the walls, with names and numbers on them. "Shaun Madison....number two."  As he read that to himself quietly, Noble spoke with a tap of his cane. “Now then, everyone… How was your trip? Are you excited for the journey ahead?” The others started telling their tales, and Shaun's trip wasn't particularly interesting, so he chose not to say much of anything. He elected to simply stand behind one of the couches, leaning on it. The Emploen stood behind him. The couch itself was occupied by a white haired Trainer whom was about his age; an Umbreon sat on his lap.

Iori nodded at Roderick, before making his way to sit down on the couch nearest to him. "Mr. Noble, an honor to meet you." he said, making a courteous bow, before sitting down on the couch, Kage immediately hopping onto his lap. "The trip here, satisfying. I much rather had preferred to fly here myself...but alas, the pilots know their way here much better than myself and Sora."

Noble chuckled warmly, reaching over to give Kage a friendly rub about the ears. "The honor is all mine, old chap," he assured him with a wink. "I do suppose you generally find yourself familiar more with Hoenn and Johto, is that right? I watched a couple of your matches from the League you participated in... Truly outstanding! You will do well here, mark my words," he assured him.

"Excited to kick everyone of these sad saps out..."  She thought to herself.  However, now she had to turn on the cute demeanor...to try and get a leg above all of these male contestants.  "Oh of course Mr. Noble!  I'm so excited to get these fun battles underway!  I just hope that I don't get knocked out too early...that'd be a shame..."  Tabitha rubbed her wrists together, as her hips swayed up and down.  She would play the whole 'defenseless damsel' act for now.  

He tuned to Tabitha, smiling with a look of humoring pity that very much showed that while some of the competitors didn't care for the persona she was exhibiting, he was falling for it hook, line, and sinker.

"Nooow, Ms. Lang, chin up, old girl!" he cajoled her. "I'm sure you'll make it all the way to the finals with your enthusiasm!" He beamed. 

"The trip was uneventful, Mr. Noble, and the tournament ahead will presumably be business as usual . . . if considerably more difficult due to precisely whom is involved," he conceded. "It is indeed a pleasure to be here."

The cleanliness, the brightness of it all was admittedly somewhat overwhelming, so Harrison called Cassandra out and scratched the white fur on the back of her neck to soothe his nerves. The Disaster Pokémon trilled softly, red eyes flicking from person to person.

Noble gave a gleeful giggle, hiding his mouth behind his hand. "Business as usual, Mr. Taylor? We shall have to see about tha-" He cut himself off as Casandra appeared, suddenly flinching backwards, eyes widening a touch with what might have been a flash of fear. It was gone as soon as it had appeared, although Eva was noticeably even stiffer than she had been at first, eyes fixed on the Absol.

"Oh... goodness!" Roderick Noble finally managed to say, flapping a hand to fan his face. "Your, uh, your Absol gave me a fright there for a moment, Mr. Taylor. MY, what a majestic creature!" His voice was once again cheery, as he turned his head to take in Abigail.

"The trip was fun! It's true what they say about the islands, they do look like a claw!" Abigail answered, enthusiastic, "We're ready here, right Dojiro?" The sitting duck extended his wings happily, quaking as if he was trying to imitate speech, "That means yes." She smiled honestly, being happier than ever before about being given such a good opportunity, specially given the low amount of guests in the room. A feeling of combined nervousness and excitement was slowly creeping up on the young girl, with the former being predominant. Anyhow, she scouted the room, looking for somebody to start a conversation with. Nothing bad with making friends out of your rivals, right? 

"Yes, yes," he agreed, nodding. "It's a very fascinating shape, isn't it? You know, rumor is," he said, bending to become even shorter as he put his hand up conspiratorially to his mouth, speaking in a dramatic stage whisper for all to hear: "The rumor is, this island used to hold cultists devoted to worship of the legendary Giratina. Spent decades trying to rustle up the old bastard and - Oh, PARDON my language, Ms. Summers, pardon me!"

He shook his head at himself, then went on with his story. "Anyway, apparently once they were successful. Story goes the strange, otherworldly energy of Giratina took a perfectly ordinary island and warped it into this shape! Twisted it out like taffy! Oh!" At the mention of taffy, he reached down to the coffee table, his sausage-like fingers picking up a piece of blue taffy with far more agility than one would expect from such bulbous digits. "Very quaint notion, of course, but it certainly makes all the attendees very excitable!" he went on, words muffled by chewing. "Think they'll set eyes on a legendary Pokemon; You've no IDEA the number of tickets we've sold to this. It boggles the MIND, Ms. Summers."

"Why couldn't we have taken a boat or something Mr. Roderick..." Blake muttered glumly, his expression worsening. He hoped Mr. Roderick wouldn't hold them up too long- he could feel another dizzy spell coming on. Though, he noticed the young lady sitting next to him, and attempted a friendly smile, though even he could tell how pained it was. This day was going from bad to worse really, astronomically fast.

"I take it you don't want a taffy, Mr. Thrush?" he asked Blake, circling around the outside of the couches to give the boy a slap on the back that was meant to be revitalizing. "My apologies for any discomfort you've suffered, dear boy, but I wanted to be sure you got here in due time! Boats are such slow, inelegant things." He moved on, walking back around the couches to circle back to his original position, leaving the young man to his stomach troubles. 

He spread his hands imploringly as he did so, looking with mock crushing disappointment at Shaun, Melody and Reno. "Mr. Madison, Mr. Hikari, Ms. Ventura... Why so close-lipped today? We've an exciting journey before us over this next week! Even if you're eliminated, I hope you'll remain with us for the remainder of this competition; You won't regret it, I promise!"

"Mr. Noble." The clipped, no-nonsense voice of Eva now finally sounded. Noble looked at her with brief confusion before she looked pointedly at him, making a motion with her hand towards herself.

"Ah yes, of course, of course," Noble said, looking a touch put out. "I'm to turn the proceedings over to Miss Vaccaro for the moment... She has important information to give you about the tournament and the island."

"These are your tournament passes," Eva began, almost trampling on the end of Noble's sentence. She placed a briefcase on the coffee table, opening it and pulling forth eight laminated cards. They were each a rich green in color, with gold borders and lettering, a headshot of each competitor embossed upon them beside the number that lay upon their bedroom doors. Their backs were black, with the logo of Blackdragon Isle in gold. "These will allow you entry to most facilities here on Blackdragon Isle," Eva continued, her voice enunciating clearly and without the enthusiasm of Noble as the cards were placed on the table within easy reach of their owners, attached to golden lanyards. "They will also entitle you to any service or good on the island, free of charge," she went on.

"Restaurants, arcades, our top-quality island spa, you name it, they pay for it," Noble interjected, holding both thumbs up with a grin.

"Quite. They also serve as your keys to your rooms, so I suggest being mindful with them," Eva continued pointedly. "You can find information about the island and the tournament here," she said, gesturing to the TV screen behind her. Immediately it flicked on, a cartoonish Pidove bearing a top hat and a suit and glasses that looked very much like Noble's flying onto the screen.

"Hi there!" it cheeped, raising its hat with a cheery tip of the wing. "How may I help-" The vision was cut off by another gesture from Eva, screen blinking out instantly. "Any concerns or complaints can be given to your assistants," she said, gesturing to the four youths outside the doors of the competitors' rooms. One of them, a blonde-haired chap who stood well over six feet tall with the width of the average twig changed his eager-eyed excitement out for an overly somber, sarcastic expression when Eva's gaze landed on him. She scowled briefly, turning back to the competitors. "They will in turn relay them to me, and we will do our best to correct them."

"And now on to the fun part!" Noble ushered Eva aside, taking the spotlight once again. "You'll all find tournament itineraries in your rooms, on the bedside tables, I believe. First event is in just under two hours, one o'clock sharp, at the main stadium you all saw!" He clapped his hands together excitedly. "All of you will need to be there... We'll undergo tournament commencement, as well as determine who you will be battling first... As well as why I chose to give the label of 'Advanced' to this tournament. See you then," he said with a wink, heading for the door, Eva turning to address the competitors as she followed.

"Mr. Noble and I are needed to prepare the commencement," she said to the people assembled. "As I said, any concerns can be directed to your assistants in our stead. Good day to you all." So saying, she and Noble stepped into the elevator, and were gone.

The blonde assistant dropped his facade of seriousness, grinning. He couldn't have been older than eighteen, a label the others held as well. Like all of them, he also wore a green sash over his clothes, one with the Blackdragon Isle logo laid in-between the golden numbers of one and two, though his colleagues had sashes with different numbers upon them that corresponded presumably to those they were assigned to. "Oh wow!" he yelled, running forward to the perimeter of the couches, wide-eyed and grinning from ear to ear. "It's so cool to meet all of you, finally!" he said, extending a hand like a shot to Shaun first. "Name's Edwin, Mr. Madison, Edwin Lovejoy," he said by way of introduction. "I'm assistant to you and Miss Summers. Wow, your Empoleon looks so powerful!" he exclaimed, appraising Poseidon joyfully. "You've got to battle me sometime while you're here, Mr. Madison, I would be honored!" He was wearing the most casual wear of the others under the sash, a pair of red board shorts and a white and blue striped T-shirt.

He seemed to flash over the couch with inhuman speed, falling to one knee so quickly his bones audibly popped, though his face, set now in a what he probably assumed was a debonair expression, showed no pain. He was now eye level with Abigail. "And of course, I'm pleased to make your acquaintance as well, Ms. Summers," he said, voice overly smooth, ruby eyes gazing into hers. "VERY pleased indeed." He grinned.

"Edwin!" The small blue-haired girl bearing a long skirt of dark purple and a matching blouse with sweeping sleeves that swallowed her hands who had stood beside him was nervously looking at the doors of the elevator. "What if Ms. Vaccaro comes back? You're being so.. forward!" She blushed a bit, averting her green eyes from the others in the room. Edwin rolled his eyes, rising to face her.

"Oh, come on, October! No way that old bag is coming back just yet, you heard her. First chance I've had to loosen up in hours!" 

October shied away from him, taking a step back. She let out a little surprised "eep" as she whirled, looking down at the Dwebble who had been hiding behind her legs. It pushed at her leg with its claws, ushering her forward. "Shelly!" she whispered, crouching down to look her Pokemon in the eye. "Please don't be rude," she begged the Rock Inn Pokemon. The Dwebble huffed, looking around October at the assembled trainers with a "She's killing me here" expression on her tiny face.

October turned back to face them, not raising her gaze to meet theirs. "Um... Hi, everyone." She was trying to muster up a cheerful greeting, but she was clearly nervous as hell, cowed by the presences in the room before her. "I'm October Jones... I'm the assistant to... to Mr. Takeda, and Mr. Taylor. It's a pleasure to meet you all." Finishing weakly, she fell quiet, crouching to pick up Shelly in her arms, the Dwebble beaming out winningly.

"You'll have to excuse these two," came a good-humored drawl from the dark-haired girl leaning against the wall between Melody's and Reno's rooms. "October's just shy, and Edwin's been dealing with illness all his life, poor thing."

"What illness?" Edwin asked, clueless.

"Idiocy," she quipped immediately, and Edwin's face dissolved into a frown that was clearly hiding a grin. "Name's Nemu," she said by way of greeting, stepping forward on her platform heels and extending a hand out to Melody, her blue eyes raised to meet hers, eyes ringed with dark eyeliner. She bore an ensemble that was all black: Black skirt, black tank, black jacket. "Nemu Motsubishi. I'm your assistant, Ms. Ventura. Yours as well, Mr. Hikari," she said, turning to wink at Reno. "Don't worry; I'm way smarter than these others, you two got the best pick of the lot."

"Well, give us a little credit, Nemu." The last to speak was a curly-haired boy in suspenders and a checkered shirt, who was the largest of the four, though it was not a size born of Heraculean physique. He was chubby, somewhere in that hazy area just shy of actually being fat. He looked to Tabitha and Blake through his rectangular glasses, smiling kindly. "Nice to meet all of you, a pleasure," he insisted. "I'm Peter Sheen. I'm the assistant to Mr. Thrush and Ms. Lang." He bowed respectfully to the two, the effect somewhat diminished by Blake's current state.

"Mr. Thrush, would you like me to fetch you something to soothe your stomach?" he asked, leaning forward as he asked his question. His feet hadn't moved from his spot, as though they were nailed down. "Do you need anything yourself, Ms. Lang?" he asked, his face blushing just enough to be noticeable as he looked to Tabitha.

"The honor is all mine, old chap. I do suppose you generally find yourself familiar more with Hoenn and Johto, is that right? I watched a couple of your matches from the League you participated in... Truly outstanding! You will do well here, mark my words."

Iori smiled, watching Kage nuzzle his head into the old man's hand as it was rubbed. "Well then, it's even more of an honor to know that someone of your status and stature watched my matches." he said with a chuckle. Well, that makes sense on why he was chosen...Noble had been watching many of his matches. If that was the case, it was probably true for everyone else too.

Nevertheless, through that, Noble's assistant began her long speech about certain things. The resort/island passes being their room keys and means of accessing everything on the island. An interesting feature nonetheless. Not only this, but she mentioned the fact everything from the TV in the room...but she didn't go too much into it. Iori wasn't exactly thrilled with this Eva rushing through everything...but then again, this was just him.

"And now on to the fun part! You'll all find tournament itineraries in your rooms, on the bedside tables, I believe. First event is in just under two hours, one o'clock sharp, at the main stadium you all saw! All of you will need to be there... We'll undergo tournament commencement, as well as determine who you will be battling first... As well as why I chose to give the label of 'Advanced' to this tournament. See you then."

Hmm...first event in two hours, awesome. Iori thought, gently petting Kage's back. Doesn't mean we'll be battling yet...still, gives me a chance to take a look at the competition.

"As I said, any concerns can be directed to your assistants in our stead. Good day to you all."

"Um... Hi, everyone. I'm October Jones... I'm the assistant to... to Mr. Takeda, and Mr. Taylor. It's a pleasure to meet you all."

Iori looked at the Dwebble behind October and smiled some. He stood up, seeing Kage immediately jump onto his shoulder as he nodded. "Not exactly one for assistants like this...but I suppose rules are rules." he chuckled. He didn't mean this in a negative way, only that he truly didn't think having an assistant for something like this was necessary. "It is a pleasure to meet you as well, Ms. Jones. And your Dwebble seems to care a lot for you, trying to help you out like that."

fAaQon2.jpg?1

51njId3.jpg?1

Tabitha smiled as she received her pass.  She knew that her room would be paid for, but everything else on the island could be paid for with this precious little thing?  She grasped it tightly and giggled.  When she was informed of the itineraries, she couldn't wait to get back into her room to see her next victi-....er....opponent.

Noticing that some contestants were letting out their pokemon, Umbreons, Ninjas, jasks, empoleons, and farfetch'd.  Tabitha blew air into her cheek.  She didn't know her pokemon were allowed to be out at this times...unfortunate accidents may befall her opponents.  Tabitha made it seem like she clumsily let one of her balls loose from her belt.  A bright light flashed and a Delcatty was called forth.  

"Oh dear...silly Charlotte!  I'm so clumsy!"  In all honesty, she just wanted to show off one of her pokemon as well.  She was jealous of all the attention the others were receiving, and Charlotte was one of her pokemon that demanded attention with her presence.  Her nose shot to the sky, as if she were disappointed with the crowd.  

"Nice to meet all of you, a pleasure, I'm Peter Sheen. I'm the assistant to Mr. Thrush and Ms. Lang.  Mr. Thrush, would you like me to fetch you something to soothe your stomach?  Do you need anything yourself, Ms. Lang?

Gross...was he blushing.  Tabitha put on a kind smile, but in the back of her mind she was freaking out.  

"Uhmmm....Peter was it?  I'll....Uhhhh...some sweet tea will be fine with me....2 ice cubes..thanks..."  Tabitha stretched out, as she desperately avoided contact with the big lug.  "I've had a long day...so I might just relax before the activities begin!"  With that, Tabitha turned towards the room with her name on it, and used her key to open the door.  "Ciao."  She blew a kiss to the other contestants.  With a huff, Charlotte followed closely behind.  

0dD0BvM.png

Blackdragon Isle

"Sorry, I'm not much of a talker." Shaun shrugged. It was mostly true; Shaun wasn't much of a talker at all. Suddenly, Eva cut in. She gave all of the competitors a tournament pass, which was suppose to enter facilities and pay for services and goods. Shaun made a mental note to not abuse Mr. Noble's kindness with this. They also served as keys to the room that surround the room they were in. She also went on to explain how the TV they had gave information about the island via a cute cartoon character.

"And now on to the fun part! You'll all find tournament itineraries in your rooms, on the bedside tables, I believe. First event is in just under two hours, one o'clock sharp, at the main stadium you all saw! All of you will need to be there... We'll undergo tournament commencement, as well as determine who you will be battling first... As well as why I chose to give the label of 'Advanced' to this tournament. See you then." So it would seem that they would be starting something really soon. Not that Shaun minded at all, nor was he surprised. He turned to the Empoleon, who nodded back at him. "As I said, any concerns can be directed to your assistants in our stead. Good day to you all." The second Eva left was the second that the young man with the blond hair dropped all traces of seriousness, dashing his way towards Shaun. "It's so cool to meet all of you, finally!" The blond assistant's hand shot out, to which Shaun replied by shaking said hand. "Name's Edwin, Mr. Madison, Edwin Lovejoy, I'm assistant to you and Miss Summers. Wow, your Empoleon looks so powerful!" As he said this, Poseidon seemed to take a rather proud pose, clearly taking Edwin's praise to heart. Shaun simply rolled his eyes. "You've got to battle me sometime while you're here, Mr. Madison, I would be honored!" Shaun couldn't help but smile at Edwin. He was definitely a fan of his boldness. Before Shaun could reply to the young man's words, Edwin had already dashed towards Abigail and gave her a greeting as well. After being scolded by his peer, Shaun replied to the young man. "You're bold; I like that. Maybe wherever I have free time you can help me practice." He flashed a thumbs-up at Edwin. "In the meantime, however, I should probably be getting ready for our little event." He said this last part as he headed towards his room, using his right hand to open the door using his key and his left to sort of wave at the group before entering and closing the door behind him.

"Story goes the strange, otherworldly energy of Giratina took a perfectly ordinary island and warped it into this shape! Twisted it out like taffy!"

"So there was a reason for the island's shape! I told you, Dojiro!" Abigail chirped, her eyes still fixed on Noble's moustache's movements as he talked, while the duck Pokemon's were fixed on the bowl of taffy on the table. Unfortunately, as Abigail kindly reminded him, he didn't have teeth and wouldn't be able to chew it. Both trainer and Pokemon turned their heads when Eva cut in and started handing their tournament passes. Dojiro fluttered for a few seconds and recieved the plastic rectangle on his bill, before returning to his seat and handing it to Abigail. What a helpful little duck.

"And now on to the fun part! You'll all find tournament itineraries in your rooms, on the bedside tables, I believe. First event is in just under two hours, one o'clock sharp, at the main stadium you all saw! All of you will need to be there... We'll undergo tournament commencement, as well as determine who you will be battling first... As well as why I chose to give the label of 'Advanced' to this tournament. See you then." 

Abigail got either more excited or more nervous at the mention of the proximity of the event. Whatever it was, her face took a serious look. When the young assistant who greeted the man named Shaun darted towards her and made a not-too-subtle move on her, however, she couldn't help but giggling, "Does this mean I have two personal assistants now? You're gonna have to fight him for the spot, Dojiro!" Abigail joked, the duck Pokemon waddling towards the blonde and playfully smacking him in the head with his leek, "Pleased to meet you too, Mr. Lovejoy. I hope you'll want to help us train as well!" She smiled as the other assistants scolded the young man.

After the introductions unfolded, Abigail and Dojiro got up and bounced/waddled to their room, "I'll be here until the thing. See y'all later!" she exclaimed, entering and bolting the door behind her. Now, for the preparations.

"I take it you don't want a taffy, Mr. Thrush?" he asked Blake, circling around the outside of the couches to give the boy a slap on the back that was meant to be revitalizing."My apologies for any discomfort you've suffered, dear boy, but I wanted to be sure you got here in due time! Boats are such slow, inelegant things." He moved on, walking back around the couches to circle back to his original position, leaving the young man to his stomach troubles. 

Blake had to cover his mouth when he rocketed forward, nearly falling off of the couch, not due to the power with which the friendly slap was given, but due to his stomach nearly leaping out of his body. His face went from a sickly green to a green that was nearly black. His sick was worsening. After fighting his stomach during the near-entirety of Ms. Eva's speech, Blake finally looked back to normal, though his Ninjask and Shedinja were staring at him with great concern. Thankfully, from where he was sitting, all he had to do was lean forward to grab his pass. Any more movement from that spot and he'd have no doubt tossed his lunch again. As more and more people began to introduce themselves, he could feel himself dozing. He supposed it was the mix of sickness and the effort of trying to keep it down, but he was obscenely tired. He felt like he could hibernate for centuries. 

"Nice to meet all of you, a pleasure," he insisted. "I'm Peter Sheen. I'm the assistant to Mr. Thrush and Ms. Lang." He bowed respectfully to the two, the effect somewhat diminished by Blake's current state. "Mr. Thrush, would you like me to fetch you something to soothe your stomach?" he asked, leaning forward as he asked his question.

"You'd be a life- and floor- saver if you did, broski." Blake groaned, leaning his head back, hoping that such a tactic would keep his stomach from overflowing. "Seriously, I think I might just toss it right here..." He didn't exactly plan on moving, either. If he did, he feared the consequences would be much, much worse than if he simply waited. However, he wasn't completely unaware of the room around him. He managed to just catch a glimpse of Tabitha leaving for her room. Looks like people were clearing out one by one. Shame.

"Tabitha's a cute one, Peter." He grinned, though with how much he was sweating and with that green look on his face, the grin was obviously forced. "Make your move quick! You might just miss 'er." With that, he let out one last piteous groan, Obo and Pupil looking up at him from his lap with great concern.

bqrPOoh.png
Damian continued to observe the other contestants when one of the girls, clearly jealous of all the Pokemon that were already out, purposely dropped one of her Poke Balls and revealed a Delcatty that looked to demand attention. In all honesty, Damian never saw the point of letting a Pokemon out of its Poke Ball; especially during a tournament, as that would only reveal a part of one's team to the rest of the competitors. Judging by what was there alone, Damian knew two of the six Pokemon he wanted to keep in the team no matter how the tournament progressed. However, the fact that his Banette was roaming around couldn't be helped.

And just where was that thing, Damian wondered? It had taken its time, but eventually the Banette had entered the room carrying a bucket of what appeared to be boiling water overhead. Just as the Delcatty was about to follow its owner into her room, the Banette giggled mischievously as it hovered over the Prim Pokemon, and was about to tip the contents of the bucket all over it when Damian looked over to and managed to catch sight of it.

"What are you doing?" the Banette sighed in disappointment as Damian asked this, not even getting the chance to spill a single drop of the water before it was caught in the act. It instead set the bucket down somewhere where it couldn't be seen, and floated back to its master's side. It was at this time that the four assistants began to introduce themselves to the others. First was a man, and then a seemingly shy woman. Then a second woman chimed in.

"You'll have to excuse these two," she said in a jovial manner, "October's just shy, and Edwin's been dealing with illness all his life, poor thing."

"What illness?" asked the first man.

"Idiocy," Damian couldn't help but smirk as this woman made her quip, before she turned to himself and Reno, "Nemu Motsubishi. I'm your assistant, Ms. Ventura. Yours as well, Mr. Hikari. Don't worry; I'm way smarter than these others, you two got the best pick of the lot."

Ah yes, Melody Ventura. The very alias that Damian had taken in order to get into this tournament without getting himself found out, and one that'd been working out rather well so far. True, that might've only been because no-one recognized Damian to begin with, but that was the whole point of an alias; to allow one to traverse any area without anyone around oneself being any the wiser. Confident that he had everyone wrapped around his little finger, Damian addressed Nemu.

"Is that so? In that case, we should both be in the finals right now," Damian boasted in confidence, "Oh, and please... call me Melody,"

With that, Damian extended a hand for Nemu to shake.

Harrison's icy demeanor cracked a bit at Nemu's quick quip, replacing the tall young man's flat expression with a slight smile. It was this bemused smile he faced October with, nodding slightly. "The pleasure is mine, Miss Jones," he said in a quiet, clipped baritone, attempting to be polite. "I must add that your Shelly likely means well, as I find it is typically humans that display true malicious and scheming intents. Speaking of . . ." He trails off, not finishing his thought aloud.

An older gentleman like Mr. Noble would know that the bad reputation surrounding Absol is precisely that: A reputation. In truth, Cassandra and others of her species merely had a sense for impending misfortune and disaster, so someone educated being so outwardly afraid of one was quite curious indeed. For now, however, she wasn't more than mildly tense, which meant that whatever disaster was occurring here would be either minor or not taking place for a while yet, if that discomfort was Cassandra's danger sense at all. Harrison put this thought aside, instead focusing on more immediately pressing matters.

The rapidity at which the tournament would be commencing was both respectable and shocking- usually, participants were given more time to acclimate to their surroundings . . . Harrison wanted to have the chance to settle down, and he was sure Cassandra and the rest of the team would, as well. However, he wasn't about to complain.

"Miss Jones," Harrison asked, "is the room I'll be using ready? If so, I'd like to check the itinerary, first and foremost. I'd hate it if I were late to anything important."

Reno had been listening... to an extent. He was more in awe of the tiny card. This tiny piece of plastic allowed him more wealth and comfort than he ever had in his life. It seemed too easy, really. What was the catch?

"You'll have to excuse these two," the dark-haired girl leaning against the wall between 'Melody's' and Reno's rooms spoke up. "October's just shy, and Edwin's been dealing with illness all his life, poor thing."

"What illness?" Edwin asked. Reno raised an eyebrow. Eddy seemed healthy enough.

"Idiocy," she quipped immediately, and Reno chuckled at that. Okay, that was funny. "Name's Nemu," She stepped forwards, extending a hand to Melody. "Nemu Motsubishi. I'm your assistant, Ms. Ventura. Yours as well, Mr. Hikari," she said, turning to wink at Reno. "Don't worry; I'm way smarter than these others, you two got the best pick of the lot." Reno looked away, blushing lightly. He was not used to flirting in the slightest.

"Is that so? In that case, we should both be in the finals right now," Melody boasted in confidence, "Oh, and please... call me Melody,"

"I'm not exactly what I did to inspire such confidence in that outcome," Reno said. "I could be knocked out by anyone. I'm not anything special," He put his hands behind his head before looking at Susanowo, who was still perched on his head. "I'm going look around the 'facilities' around here," Arcues knows when he'd have another chance like this again. He headed to his room, grabbing his itinerary before walking for the exit. Time to see what this island offered.

Iori looked at the Dwebble behind October and smiled some. He stood up, seeing Kage immediately jump onto his shoulder as he nodded. "Not exactly one for assistants like this...but I suppose rules are rules." he chuckled. He didn't mean this in a negative way, only that he truly didn't think having an assistant for something like this was necessary. "It is a pleasure to meet you as well, Ms. Jones. And your Dwebble seems to care a lot for you, trying to help you out like that."

Harrison's icy demeanor cracked a bit at Nemu's quick quip, replacing the tall young man's flat expression with a slight smile. It was this bemused smile he faced October with, nodding slightly. "The pleasure is mine, Miss Jones," he said in a quiet, clipped baritone, attempting to be polite. "I must add that your Shelly likely means well, as I find it is typically humans that display true malicious and scheming intents. Speaking of . . ." He trails off, not finishing his thought aloud.

"Miss Jones," Harrison asked, "is the room I'll be using ready? If so, I'd like to check the itinerary, first and foremost. I'd hate it if I were late to anything important."

October bowed hesitantly, Shelly smiling with a jaunty wave at the two gentlemen. "Thank you Mr. Takeda, Mr. Taylor," she said gratefully. "Shelly and I have been together for almost seven years now. She helps me, a lot. She's... braver than I am." Shelly pouted in frustration as October set her down, walking over to Harrison's room and pulling the door open, holding it for him. 

"Both your rooms are ready, sirs," she said, her voice a little more chipper, if not much. "I prepared them myself. If you have any problems, just feel free to let me know."

The rooms Harrison and Iori had would be identical to each other, like mirror images. All the competitors rooms were large and immaculate, consisting of a bedroom with a queen-sized bed piled high with tasteful cushions, a bathroom the size of the average bedroom, and a bay window with a cushioned seat, looking out at the island and ocean below them. The personal touch of each aide was evident, though. In October's case, the rooms she had prepared smelled faintly of lavender and hibiscus, several small bowls of blueberries ringing a pyramid of clementines atop a table at the foot of the bed. 

"Uhmmm....Peter was it?  I'll....Uhhhh...some sweet tea will be fine with me....2 ice cubes..thanks..."  Tabitha stretched out, as she desperately avoided contact with the big lug.  "I've had a long day...so I might just relax before the activities begin!"  With that, Tabitha turned towards the room with her name on it, and used her key to open the door.  "Ciao."  She blew a kiss to the other contestants.  With a huff, Charlotte followed closely behind.  

"You'd be a life- and floor- saver if you did, broski." Blake groaned, leaning his head back, hoping that such a tactic would keep his stomach from overflowing. "Seriously, I think I might just toss it right here..." He didn't exactly plan on moving, either. If he did, he feared the consequences would be much, much worse than if he simply waited. However, he wasn't completely unaware of the room around him. He managed to just catch a glimpse of Tabitha leaving for her room. Looks like people were clearing out one by one. Shame.

"Tabitha's a cute one, Peter." He grinned, though with how much he was sweating and with that green look on his face, the grin was obviously forced. "Make your move quick! You might just miss 'er." With that, he let out one last piteous groan, Obo and Pupil looking up at him from his lap with great concern.

"I'll get you some herbal tea, Mr. Thrush," Peter assured him, finally moving from his spot in the room to the stairwell, ascending swiftly to the kitchen level. "I'll have it to you post-haste."

As he prepared the tea, he caught Blake's encouraging cry, and he blushed a bit more, a shy grin creeping across his face. "Nah, Mr. Thrush... She's a bit old for me, don't you think?" He poured two cups of tea, one steaming and bearing a few crushed leaves within, the other chilled and bearing two ice cubes. "Besides, she's a competitor, sir, and that'd be unprofessional. I'd hate for Ms. Vaccaro to get angry with me..." he continued, trailing off as he concentrated on climbing down the stairs without spilling the tea. 

"Vaccaro needs to learn how to chill out, for real," Edwin interjected, taking a brief pause from the overdramatic posturing he had gotten himself engaged in with Dojiro. "Maybe seeing a little love in the world is exactly what she needs." Peter chuckled, humoring Edwin as he set the tea before Blake. A pleasant, faintly minty aroma rose from it to waft about the room.

"You drink that up, herbal remedy my mother taught me, sir," he assured Blake. "Never fails." He then made his way to the door Tabitha had disappeared behind, tapping lightly with a finger. "Ms. Lang? I have your sweet tea here, as you requested, ma'am." Her tea held two ice cubes, exactly to her specifications. 

The rooms Peter had prepared were equally as subdued as October's, though just as much care had gone into them. Blake and Tabitha had rooms that smelled of sandalwood, a few notes of cherry brightly hitting their noses if they took a strong whiff. Where October had gone for blueberries and oranges, he had instead elected for a few collections of various upscale chocolates, as well as a large bowl of cherries, each free of a hard pit.

After being scolded by his peer, Shaun replied to the young man. "You're bold; I like that. Maybe wherever I have free time you can help me practice." He flashed a thumbs-up at Edwin. "In the meantime, however, I should probably be getting ready for our little event." He said this last part as he headed towards his room, using his right hand to open the door using his key and his left to sort of wave at the group before entering and closing the door behind him.

"Does this mean I have two personal assistants now? You're gonna have to fight him for the spot, Dojiro!" Abigail joked, the duck Pokemon waddling towards the blonde and playfully smacking him in the head with his leek, "Pleased to meet you too, Mr. Lovejoy. I hope you'll want to help us train as well!" She smiled as the other assistants scolded the young man.

After the introductions unfolded, Abigail and Dojiro got up and bounced/waddled to their room, "I'll be here until the thing. See y'all later!" she exclaimed, entering and bolting the door behind her. Now, for the preparations.

"Alright you two!" Edwin called as his two charges exited to their rooms, with a final admiring glance at Poseidon and one last look of challenge to Dojiro. "You lemme know if you need anything, we accommodate all tastes here! I'll battle you two any time!" He jumped excitedly as their doors closed. "They're so cool! I got the best two, everyone; Let it be KNOWN." He blinked as he realized competitors were still in the room, leaning around Nemu to grin at 'Melody.' "Of course, not to say y'all ain't spectacular as well," he purred, eyebrows jumping up and down at Melody until Nemu's elbow smacked into his gut.

Abigail and Shaun's rooms were a bit more bombastic, Edwin's touch on the room evident very clearly. Coffee and lemon clashed magnificently in their nostrils as they entered, and the tables with treats seemed to have been assembled without a common thread in mind. Oranges, apples, candies, even a whole pineapple poked out of the mess like a demented centerpiece. 

"Is that so? In that case, we should both be in the finals right now," Damian boasted in confidence, "Oh, and please... call me Melody,"

With that, Damian extended a hand for Nemu to shake.

"I'm not exactly what I did to inspire such confidence in that outcome," Reno said. "I could be knocked out by anyone. I'm not anything special," He put his hands behind his head before looking at Susanowo, who was still perched on his head. "I'm going look around the 'facilities' around here," Arcues knows when he'd have another chance like this again. He headed to his room, grabbing his itinerary before walking for the exit. Time to see what this island offered.

Nemu grinned wolfishly. "I'm rooting for you two, don't worry... If only so Edwin can't crow for weeks about how his charge won." She flashed a grin over to Edwin, who was massaging his stomach, groaning loudly. 

"You're taking a look around outside, Mr. Hikari?" she asked, walking behind to follow him. "If you don't mind, Ms. Ventura, I'd like to accompany him, show him around, since he's not familiar with the area. If you need me," she told her, tapping at a black box attached to her belt, "There's a button in all the rooms that messages whoever's in charge of taking care of you guys. Or you can come along for the tour, if you'd like. Everyone's welcome, really."

Reno would find Nemu had chosen a very faint scent of roses in his room, Melody's as well. The table was loaded with peaches, ringed by small cakes smelling of blackberry and chocolate. She followed Reno into the elevator, eyes thoughtful. 

"Where would you like to go first, Mr. Hikari?" she asked brightly, hands on her hips. "We have restaurants, arcades, battle facilities, we could even check out the stadium, if you want..." She winked, whispering: "Though I wouldn't honestly care too much about learning that, if I were you." She looked away innocently, as if she hadn't said anything just then. "There are a few ruins from the supposed cult on the island as well, but I don't think we'd be able to give those a look and be back in time for the commencement. Any ideas?"

0dD0BvM.png

Blackdragon Isle

Upon entering his room, the scent of chocolate and lemon greeted him. Looking around, he noticed what he could only describe as a pile of assorted foods on different tables; chocolates, fruits, and candies seemed to be the main objects on the table. He sat down on the queen-sized bed that was provided to them; Poseidon standing next to him, seemingly admiring the whole room. "Pretty fancy, huh?" He hadn't been in a room this fancy since that one tourney all the way in Kalos, and even that failed to compare to this. The Empoleon nodded in agreement. He tossed out a Pokeball and, out of it, emerged a Gallade. "We're here, Gladius." The Gallade seemed to look around in awe at the size and style of the room. "We better get ready; we have about two hours before a big event."

"Both your rooms are ready, sirs. I prepared them myself. If you have any problems, just feel free to let me know."

Iori nodded at Octobor and Shelly before smiling gently. "Thank you both." he said, before walking into his own room and closing his door. Kage immediately jumped off from Iori's shoulders and hopped onto the bed, curling himself in a ball to lay down. "Alright, alright. Enjoy yourself for a bit, Kage."

The young Pokémon Trainer, however, immediately dove into his bag and switched his outfits. The one he currently had on was that of a small suit. He figured he look presentable when he first arrive here. However, truth be told, he couldn't stand the whole suit and tie thing. It just wasn't the style he could get behind. After a moment of finally changing into an outfit he preferred, he fastened his bokken to his left side and tossed his fingerless gloves on.

"Ah, much better." Iori said, looking in the mirror to fix himself up, as well as snagging blueberries. "Alright Kage...c'mon." he called for his partner, to which the Umbreon leaped from his position back onto Iori's shoulder. "We have two hours until the festivities start. It'll give us some time to take the sights in."

fAaQon2.jpg?1

51njId3.jpg?1

"Ms. Lang? I have your sweet tea here, as you requested, ma'am."  A light tapping was heard upon her door.  Tabitha opened it and took the sweet tea quickly.  

"Um...thanks...come and get me when it's time to start the events..."  She shut the door as hastily as possible.  Tabitha sighed as she slid down the back of her door.  Charlotte had already made herself comfortable on the bed.  Now the scents of the room were starting to waft around her.  It smelled like a nice mixture of wood and chocolate.  It was slightly pleasant, and she looked for the source of the scent.  A bowl of chocolates sat next to a bowl of cherries.  She giggled as she unwrapped one of the chocolates.  It was a salty and dark velvet flavor.  She bunched up as her face showed the utmost satisfaction. 

"Oh my!  This is absolutely delicious!"

When she turned back, Nala and Gem could also be found curling up in the bed, against Charlotte.  She looked to her belt to realize that the two had let themselves out.  Her cats were such prissy pusses.  

"Bah! Age's just a number hombre!" Blake laughed, then groaned, having obviously not gotten over his sick so quickly. He was ever-grateful of Peter's help as he gulped down the tea the instant it came in touch with his hands. It seemed he was used to the heat of things like tea. Perhaps he got sick like this more often than one'd think. Letting out a satisfied sigh, a puff of steam escaped Blake's maw as he rested his head back. "Trust me man, don't let formalities stop love from forming. Stuff like that's what builds regret." He grinned at Peter at this statement. "Which is why I bet I'm the only person with no regret in the world! I do what I want, when I want! No use waiting on others, or letting peeps tell me no, y'know?" Pupil buzzed in agreement, soaring back above his master's head, before shooting off to explore more of the lounge.

Blake was starting to feel better already, but he knew better than to get up and risk ruining the effects the tea was having on him. Or perhaps that was just an excuse for him being lazy. He laughed loudly at that thought, before sinking even further into the couch. He could get used to this. However, soon a thought crossed his mind. Grabbing another Pokeball, he tossed it into the air, releasing a bright red flame monkey, with a dull, complacent look on her face. Her cheeky smile brought out a mixture of emotions-- from suspicion to disappointment-- but that wasn't what was on Blake's mind.

"Heya Euly." He groaned, offering her a strained smile. If the Simisear was concerned, she didn't show it. "Y'mind using this to get into my room? I needja to grab me the itinerary, or whatever it is that tells us who we're duelin' first." At this, Euly's smile dipped some. It seemed she was no more a fan of work than her master was. Blake laughed at this, waving her off. "Oh come on, don't be like that! Plus, you're the one doin' the fighting! Think of this little jaunt as 'warm-up'." Rolling her eyes, Euly accepted Blake's card, and padded off in the direction of his room, not eager whatsoever to only have been released from her ball to do a stupid fetch quest.

Once Euly was gone, Blake looked over his shoulder at Peter again. "One last thing, Petes: can you tell me the way to the spa? That flight did a number on m'old bod. Need a bit of relaxing, y'know?" A cheeky grin spread on his face. "Plus, I might even get a nice lady to give me a full body massage.~ Hehehe..." He didn't exactly mean to come off as creepy, but unfortunately, even his Shedinja-- a technically dead Pokemon-- gave herself about two feet of room from Blake. He really didn't have a filter for that mouth, did he?

• 3 weeks later...

"You're taking a look around outside, Mr. Hikari?" Nemu asked, walking behind to follow him. "If you don't mind, Ms. Ventura, I'd like to accompany him, show him around, since he's not familiar with the area. If you need me there's a button in all the rooms that messages whoever's in charge of taking care of you guys. Or you can come along for the tour, if you'd like. Everyone's welcome, really." Reno rubbed his arm a bit. He wasn't used to someone trying to be helpful or following him around. With a sigh, he stood in the elevator, and Nemu followed him in.

"Where would you like to go first, Mr. Hikari?" she asked, her voice practically radiating sunshine, placing her hands on her hips. "We have restaurants, arcades, battle facilities, we could even check out the stadium, if you want..." Those did sound pretty good. He could practice in the battle facility... But he shouldn't wear out his Pokemon just yet... Maybe he would just walk around.

As he was thinking, he noticed that she winked, leaning in and whispering: "Though I wouldn't honestly care too much about learning that, if I were you." Reno blushed a bit as she whispered. She was close! Very close! She then looked away, probably thinking how pathetic he had to be to be flustered by just a whisper."There are a few ruins from the supposed cult on the island as well, but I don't think we'd be able to give those a look and be back in time for the commencement. Any ideas?"

Regaining his composure, Reno thought to himself. Those ruins sounded interesting... "Well, as much as I'd like to go to those ruins, I think those would have to wait until the first round. I'd hate to lose because I wasn't there...," he tapped his chin, thinking, when his body decided to make the choice for him by growling. "... I guess a restaurant sounds nice," he said quietly, embarrassed. What a first impression.

As soon as their bedroom door was closed completely Abigail let out a long, exhausted sigh, “Well, they're certainly something. Right, Doji?” The duck Pokemon, however, had already waddled to the treat table and stuffed his face full with an entire apple, “Don't go choking now, okay hun? Your mother will kill me if you do. Speaking of which, I should probably...” After measuring the room, and making sure everybody'd fit, Abigail started releasing her Pokemon from their Pokeballs, the various creatures taking different spots on the room to avoid getting too clumped together: Michy the Sylveon purred loudly and cuddled with her son Dojiro near the snacks, Goliath the Seismitoad and Mush the Breloom took their spots sitting on opposite sides of the bed, while Fluffy the Ninetales hopped on it immediately.

“There's not enough room to release Eelektross nor Milotic here, so you guys'll do for now. Also...” Reaching for a pair of Pokeballs in her bag, Abigail released her new friends; Hitmontop and Misdreavus, the former jumped on Abigail's head and the latter cowered behind her, “These are our new buddies! I haven't chosen a name for them yet. I hope y'all get along, 'kay?” Friendly as their human partner, all the different Pokemon quacked, chirped, barked and meowed happily at the newcomers, “Now, its time for a last-minute training montage! It's a bit cramped in here, but I don't want to parade outside with the whole team just yet, am I right? We wanna keep our line-up a secret!” Abigail winked, analizing the strategies she had come up with for each Pokemon. Something in the back of her mind, however, told her to get a second opinion. And with other competitors not being a reliable source of criticism, there was only another person there who could help.

Abigail's head popped out of her bedroom door as she called out, “Mr. Lovejoy~” Abigail called and, once the assistant had gotten close to the door, she leaned in to whisper in his ear, “There's something I wanna show you, but you gotta keep it a secret. Just you and me, 'kay hun?...if you're not busy, that is...” The innocent girl stated, unaware of how suggestive she might have sounded. Anyhow, Edwin'd probably realize she just wanted an opinion on her training after entering the room and seeing Abigail's full team out of their Pokeballs. Maybe.

Archived