[MTG] Eldritch Moon Prerelease

So, how has everyone's prerelease been going. Mine was interesting.

Last week I asked my friend what time to sign up for the event for. He said 11 am. Then, yesterday at 4:30 I get added to a group chat where he and my other friends (he was paying for them) ended up doing the 4 pm one. This burnt not only because it would mean I would be playing alone for no reason, but I also had to wake up super early (not a morning person) and would miss getting to spend time with one of my friends who is going away for 3 weeks. So when I got to the event I wasn't in the best spirits. When I opened my pool I saw this.

Elder Deep-Fiend

Grim Flayer

Spell Queller

Asylum Visitor

Permeating Mass

Harmless Offering

Eerie Interlude

Some valuable rares, but nothing that bomby outside of Deep-Fiend. The pool itself was pretty swallow. Blue was basically empty and my green was pretty mediocre. I was also pretty light on removal in all colors. I ended up going Black/Red vampires because it seemed to be the most solid choice with some removal, good combat tricks, and a solid curve.

Round 1 I play one of the guys I was sitting near. He had two Giselas. The games didn't go well, especially since I kept a suspect hand game 1. This further put me on tilt. I also realized that I had totally misread Boon of Emrakul and that it was a removal spell. That could have killed Gisela. I put it in for Match 2. Lucky for my too since my round 2 opponent also had a Gisela. And a Lili. Game 1 was a close game, but I was dying fast to fliers. My opponent punted and used removal spell on an unimportant card allowing me to flip my Heir to Falkenrath and keep from dying. I was then able to crack back for a lot, gaining 4 life in the process thanks to an Indulgent Aristocrat believing it would keep me safe on my next turn. I was wrong since the Aurora of Emrakul (which went live on my attack) hits for 3 to the face and not 1, killing my exactly. This put me further on tilt, not helped where in game two my opponent played Gisela early and I had not answer in hand.

That was the turning point. I top decked the Boon I had added in and was able to put a ton of pressure on my opponent's life. However he found his Lili and was able to get back Gisela, but couldn't play her again before I put him to 2. At this point very little time was left and I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to do anything vs. Gisela. Lucky for me he was leaving it back and a top decked Borrowed Hostility and an unblocked 3/3 left my 4/4 trample get in for game. Game 3 was super tense since I knew we were low on time and I needed to play fast, and even then it would be unlikely I'd be able to win. This wasn't helped by him getting Gisela and using Lili to get it back after the first time. Lucky for my I was able to grow my dudes big enough thanks to Aristocrat and thanks to some removal and combat tricks I was able to battle through. As it turns out time had been called a while ago. Me and my opponent just never heard it, my guess is that all the other noise in the room kept me from drawing (I likely would have scooped since his deck was better). Either way I moved onto Match 3 where my opponent started on a mulligan and a chump block with the 2/1 Artifact Creature in a bid to turn on Delirium as fast as possible game me a decent head start. He eventually got Distended Mindbender to hand with a Grapple with the Past so I knew what small window I had to win was going to close soon if I waited too long so I got super aggressive. It payed off and I was able to keep enough of his board off the table and was able to develop enough of mine that he couldn't get Mindbender out in time to win. Game 2 didn't go as well with a poor draw on my part and a good one on his, topped by a Dark Salvation they killed any chance I had. Game 3 started well from me with another mulligan and a slow start vs. my Visitor. He even milled his Salvation. This changed when he got out Lili. She ate the Visitor and while I was able to hit her to 1 with a 3/2 she was posed to put him in a commanding position. Facing down a 1/1, Ulvenwald Captives, and a Lili hoped seemed lost since the most I could do was have a Weaver of Lightning join my shrunken 3/2. But then I drew 1 of my 2 outs, Alchemist's Greeting. Using it I was able to kill the Captive and Weaver took out the 1/1, letting my two 1 power guys get in a finish Lili. He followed up with a 2/4, but I topped it was a Vildin-Pack Outcast. He then emerged out the Mindbender and took a Heir from hand (I realized after the fact I could have cast her and used her to madness Greeting), but an Abandon Reason allowed me to attack in without fear and let me close out the game 2 turns later.

Went 2-1 and very happily opened Emerakul in one of my prize packs. Outcast was super impressive all day, as was Abandon Reason and the escalate cards. Day started poorly, but things finally started breaking my way at the half point of the event.

But, just for the rub wins, I found out what my 5 friends who are playing in the follow up event opened.

One got Startled Awake

One got Emrakul and the Spider

One got Liliana, Pig, and Nahiri's Wrath

One got Gisa and Geralf, Ulrich, Arlinn and Relentless Dead

Even when things go well I am, and always will be #neverlucky

took third out of 36 with a bomb ass deck. my promo was bruna, and i pulled a thalia's lancers and an olivia, so i went mardu and the synergy was ridiculous. the only game i lost was against a blue white control deck that properly answered my threats

also got done at 7 am, so i'm officially nocturnal

I played at a pre release a couple hours ago (well actually it started at 12, but ended around 6-7 ish), most awesome pull was Gisa and Geralf. Also got Docent of Perfection as the foil, but also got a foil Bound by Moonsilver. Just finished making a (probably shitty) Commander deck for Gisa and Geralf.

I didn't pull any mythics. Three of my rares were in blue but my blue pool was absolutely terrible. What good is Thing in the Ice and Niblis of Frost when your instants and sorceries look terrible?

So I built BW Human Control. Just Humans, removal, and Humans that double as removal. And Bruna to revive said Humans. 4-0, 5 prize packs. Nothing quite valuable but I did make my money's worth in terms of pack count.

Ironclad Slayer is pretty boss when recycling Choking Restraints. It's also beautiful when you curve a 3-drop into Mindbender via Emerge and just annihilate their options.

Mindbender is a scary card. When my opponent flipped it to Grapple he had Tooth Collector out and would have been able to emerge it the following turn. Figured, if I don't use this removal now he just eats it, so might as well use it and keep Bender off the board for a couple more turns. Pretty sure that choice won me that game.

Archived