[Discussion] Powers and You

Pretty simple topic this time, let's talk about something minor that often gets both overstated and overlooked in its importance and role!

So, today we are going to talk about powers and abilities of RP and Writing characters. Of course, it's not the mundane kind of ability. We're talking about those esoteric, fantasy-like ability like controlling fire, levitating, and all those kind of fun stuffs. A staple in shonen-styled RPs, and is prevalent enough in other genres of RPs, they come in many varieties. Some are simple, some are overly convoluted. You can have ones that are underwhelming on paper, or those that are overwhelming enough that the other players will go down on your throat just for you daring to suggest that ability.

But enough preface, let's talk about the topic in more detail.

How do you see the role of powers/abilities in the general role play?

Do you prefer simple powers, complicated and esoteric powers, or simply creative uses of a given power instead?

Do you see much value in expanding someone's characterization by tying it to their abilities/powers and how they used it, and if so, why?

As a player, how do you usually design powers for your character?

As a host, how do you usually see whether someone's ability or power is alright or not? Have you ever faced a problem with abilities during the course of your Role Play? And how much importance do you put regarding powers regarding a character, especially on the judging stage of the apps?

Of course, you don't have to answer the questions above; it's just a way to start off this discussion. Just talk anything  about powers here, perhaps maybe talking about character abilities you made that you find to be interesting/that you deeply regretted, or something else would be fine too.

Honestly I hate complicated powers. I find them pointlessly convoluted and it makes it harder to balance, and even harder to actually use.

The thing with powers I feel is they should be something you can consistently use again and again without it being boring, useless, or too strong. If you can manage that, it's a good thing to have.

However I think people rely on powers too much. Making their characters barely anything more than the power. The power should affect how the character acts, not the other way around. A character who is affected somehow by their power is interesting. One that has a power and it's most of their existence not so much. It's unrealistic to think that certain powers would not cause some change in a person's actions. However it's even more unrealistic to think that someone's powers become their entire being. I shouldn't look at a character and think "Okay that's the fire girl, she shoots fire, and does fire things." and that's it.

Oh and having NO skills beyond the power sometimes just doesn't work.

For instance Kira, in Demon Blood. Her power is extreme strength. She struggles to control it and it's causing her to suffer depression as she begins to fear herself. Her personality is affected by the powers, but without them she still would have plenty of the same views and personality.

As a host, powers can be a pain. Because you can't predict every usage of that power and so sometimes it could be useless, sometimes way too strong. And you have multiple powers to deal with. The best you can do is try and get as many specifics as possible so that you can know what it can and can't do.

Maybe this is weirdly phrased and perhaps not the right way to think but I'm starting to feel that powers are mostly there for flavor more than anything and don't actually mean a whole lot at all. Like, what difference does it make to have a character who can fly and someone who can do something else, like mind reading? The latter can't do things in the sky but then in that case the host'd simply not give out a situation that would require flying in the first place. Hosts generally won't give situations in which at least one of the cast's powers can't solve (although it'll be made to look like that), and maybe that's a good thing because it doesn't stop the plot and shows the host plans things around their cast, but it also makes powers no different from simply having the host decide which character gets the spotlight. It's just done in a slightly more roundabout way. Like, you'd throw in a water obstacle so the guy RP-ing as a swimmer gets to shine, or a negotiation scene with other merchants so those with high charisma can do their thing. The more I think about it the more I feel special powers don't actually feel that special, is what I'm trying to say I suppose.

While we're at it, I prefer the overly complicated, convoluted, and creative powers myself. Powers that require long textwalls just to properly explain, and ultimately isn't even very strong except under special circumstances(said circumstances being practically guaranteed to happen), that sort of thing I love, because it actually feels special. It's why I like Fate/, I guess. As long as it's not just 10 sentences that simply say 'it makes Bob stronger' in 10 different ways.

As an end-note, 'esoteric' has become my new favorite word as of late. For some reason I get the feeling I've seen it around very frequently, hell you even used it twice in the OP.

I love how the two posters, besides Keto, (Me and Mitcher) hold opposite views.

What makes me most curious now is what makes one want powers to be special.

Personally I don't find any power really special. Long powers are just a cop-out to try and make a character interesting, to me. So it's intriguing to find those who desire for powers to be special.

It's one of those "It's not what you have but what you do with it" things, to me.

I have to say I'm with Mitcher in terms of convoluted powers. Well, at least, in most cases. While long powers may spiral on and may just be there to make the character more interesting, that isn't always a bad thing, or a cop out. Those kinds of powers certainly are useful when it comes to readers like me, which draw me and amplify the character, whether it be incredibly interesting or not so interesting without it.

As for, it's not what you have but what you do with it, I agree completely, which is why I like seeing a character's own opinion on their powers. I'm not saying that a character with a more complicated skillset will instantly get more like from me, but I've found that I have really been interested in the ones with those kinds of powers. Maybe I've just been lucky and seen those written by good writers.

I love how the two posters, besides Keto, (Me and Mitcher) hold opposite views.

What makes me most curious now is what makes one want powers to be special.

Personally I don't find any power really special. Long powers are just a cop-out to try and make a character interesting, to me. So it's intriguing to find those who desire for powers to be special.

It's one of those "It's not what you have but what you do with it" things, to me.

That's a characterization thing you're on with and in that case I even agree, interesting powers don't make interesting characters. A good character doesn't necessarily need an interesting power, I just really like the latter a lot as well. It has nothing to do with the quality of the characters themselves(although if their story and given power is interconnected then that's an even better bonus).

Basically sheet characters with really amazing, intriguing special powers are a thing and I love their powers but maybe not the characters themselves.

Archived