[MtG] [KLD] The Inventor's Fair

Rodrigo

I see they got rid of the metalcraft word. For the best IMO, it's sort of unnecessary, as what it means to have metalcraft was always written in the ability. That's true of most/all abilities that do that. Rally, Join Forces... It's not really needed unless you make cards that care about that word or phrase being present, and since there are none.

Anyway, It's an OK card. The tutor ability is solid and it's definitely going into Kurkesh for it. The lifegain could really have been 2 or 3 with no major upset, imo. Not like affinity would play it.

I see they got rid of the metalcraft word.

MaRo has confirmed that no non-evergreen mechanics are returning to Kaladesh. This is like Tireless Tracker having landfall text despite being from Innistrad.

As for the card itself, it's good. I predict this will be like Westvale Abbey: easy to slot 1-2 into many existing decks. The opportunity cost for its inclusion is low, and if your deck can spam cheap artifacts the sac ability can pull out a game-winning silver bullet. And with us going to Kaladesh, home of the thopters, I'd be surprised if that's not possible in the upcoming Standard environment. However, unlike Abbey, not every deck runs artifacts in high density, so this will likely not be as prevalent. (Which I hope means that it stays cheap.)

They didn't "get rid" of the Metalcraft mechanic. They just didn't include it in this block. And when a mechanic isn't included in a block, it won't show up in any single card of that block. Example? Tireless Tracker, who clearly has Landfall as an ability.

Lands with lifegain scream cool control decks to me. Wizards, make me a good artifact control deck. Maybe vedalken planeswalker guy will do it.

I see they got rid of the metalcraft word. For the best IMO, it's sort of unnecessary, as what it means to have metalcraft was always written in the ability. That's true of most/all abilities that do that. Rally, Join Forces... It's not really needed unless you make cards that care about that word or phrase being present, and since there are none.

Anyway, It's an OK card. The tutor ability is solid and it's definitely going into Kurkesh for it. The lifegain could really have been 2 or 3 with no major upset, imo. Not like affinity would play it.

Ability words exist to add resonance and cohesion to sets, and to link abilities when it's used in volume. Wizards are perfectly aware that ability words technically don't do anything. They're there for a very good reason. As people have mentioned, this is simply a set without Metalcraft, hence the Metalcraft ability is not signposted.

speaking of which, a card cannot reference metalcraft, as metalcraft has no rules meaning. Nothing in italics matters.

Correct. Hence my dislike for it.

Obviously, they're including the ability here. Because it's right funking there. I was acknowledging the absence of the word metalcraft. All of your tones were wholly unnecessary.

Correct. Hence my dislike for it.

Obviously, they're including the ability here. Because it's right funking there. I was acknowledging the absence of the word metalcraft. All of your tones were wholly unnecessary.

That dislike is irrational, because that's not why ability words exist.

Archived