Doctor Strange

Shradow

[spoiler=Thoughts on the movie (spoilers, of course).]The movie was really awesome. By this point, I feel like it's not a matter of "Will Marvel make a good movie?" but instead "How good will Marvel's next movie be?" And this one is a solid 9/10 in my book.

First thing that caught my attention is Cumberbatch's acting. I've not seen him in anything where he's used an America accent, but his in this sounded really great. Though I was actually reminded a lot of Robert Downey Jr.'s voice, for example anytime Cumberbatch yelled all I could hear was Tony Stark yelling.

They didn't spend too long on the non-magical parts of his story, thankfully. That's always one thing I'm afraid of with superhero movies, that if an origin story is being done too much focus is put on the part no one cares about. While I say that, Stephen Strange's story was quite interesting, though maybe it's because it's not one I'm familiar with, unlike ones I've seen a million times (Spider-Man, Superman, Batman, etc.). 

Comedy was great, I always enjoy the laughs I get from Marvel movies. The Stan Lee cameo in this was short but sweet. Definitely didn't expect it at the point it came, either. I also hope that "Dormammu, I've come to bargain." becomes a meme or something, that part of the movie was so great.

The thing I probably loved the most was the action scenes. Almost all of them were accompanied by the sort of trippy, Inception-esque environment changes like in the trailers, and it made things super cool to watch.

The mid-credits and after-credits scenes were both awesome as well. I didn't expect that Doctor Strange would have any dealings in Thor: Ragnarok but him helping out Thor will be cool to see. And it set up the villain for future Doctor Strange stuff nicely.

Yeah definitely enjoyed the movie. I did not know anything about him going into the theater and was mostly pulled in by the trippy effects. Though the movie was much better than I thought it'd be.

Stan Lee's cameos are always unexpected because they always appear when you are mostly focused on the plot. Also, he's not exactly a "Where's Waldo" character because you don't have to scan every little detail in every frame to find him, he always pops up and gives me a laugh. Hope he can keep doing these for a long time.

I'll be honest, I haven't watched most of the inter-tangling movies in Marvel, but this movie does make me wanna catch up with older stuff.

Archived