[Discussion] What makes a good RP?

cr47t

So I have looked into about 2 of the RPs here (one was canceled and one I backed out of) and I was wondering whether to continue writing a story or make it an RP, or both. Plus, I just wanted to see everyone's opinions about this. So, what, in your opinion, make a RP good or bad? Is it the events? Characters? Setting? Don't be afraid to express your opinion in this thread.

For myself, its a combination of setting and characters. I see myself, as an RP person, as a storyteller of sorts. Spinning a web of plot and story (along with others helping), that mixes well enough with both elements.

An example of this would definitely be :Alive:. A story told from both Yosuke-kun and Dad, with a bunch of characters that I had a hand in helping make (one anyway). A survival of the apocalypse and defeating creatures to determine how the world came to end and utilizing the powers of an ability known as a Fayth. It is a damn good story and setting. Compliment these with the pantheon of characters that the users made, it made everything even better.

So I think its a joint effort on setting/story and characters.

Me.  I make a good rp.  Facts, Captain.

I should have known to put up a [serious] tag too, but it isn't Misc, so... but seriously, Dad, what parts of an RP do you think make it good or bad?

For myself, its a combination of setting and characters. I see myself, as an RP person, as a storyteller of sorts. Spinning a web of plot and story (along with others helping), that mixes well enough with both elements.

An example of this would definitely be :Alive:. A story told from both Yosuke-kun and Dad, with a bunch of characters that I had a hand in helping make (one anyway). A survival of the apocalypse and defeating creatures to determine how the world came to end and utilizing the powers of an ability known as a Fayth. It is a damn good story and setting. Compliment these with the pantheon of characters that the users made, it made everything even better.

So I think its a joint effort on setting/story and characters.

I think I actually want to read that now -- do you have a link? (IC or OOC or both, I don't mind.) In any case, both of you, thank you for your input.

Honestly, I'm a fan of story.  If you can give me an adventure, whether or not my character is a super powered bad ass or an average nobody, there's a good chance I'll want to be in on it.  I've been waiting for a good horror rp from YCM with a sexy story, but nothing yet.  That's my dream.

The concept of a "Good RP" is one that is pretty hard to nail down. Every facet of an RP is incredibly important to its success, and each one is liable to make or break an RP. The most immediate answer to this is, story or characters, but those are incredibly broad and ultimately I don't really think either of those are actually what make a "good RP." Don't get me wrong, I think they're definitely important to an RP because they are basically what make it up, but I don't actually think they are what makes a good RP. In fact, what makes one good, is an entirely subjective matter because it varies from person to person. This is because, in my opinion, the thing that makes an RP good is whether or not the people themselves are having fun with it. Furthermore, a collection of people having fun is the only reason an RP would ever succeed as one to begin with.

It comes down to a lot more than just what you write in the IC thread. RPing, is of course, a group effort and if you don't really like the people you're writing with  or don't really know them, then you're inherently likely to not have as much fun with them as you would otherwise. This is why a lot of people, at least in my opinion, tend to join (or not join) an RP based on who runs it/who's in it rather than just the concept as a standalone thing. It's because they're your friends and, obviously, when you (role)Play with friends, you're going to have fun. If you're not having fun with an RP, whether because you don't like how it's being run or you might not like your own character, then you are obviously going to be demotivated to work on it. Conversely, if you are really having a good time then that motivates people and gets them far more active and willing to post. And, as we've all seen RPs die here, we should know that both host and player participation is the single most important thing to an RP's survival. 

So I guess this was a just really long winded way of me saying that a lot of things people care about don't really matter when it comes to making a "good rp" and you can't really "make" one to begin with. The only thing that ultimately matters, and shows if an RP is successful or not, is if the players and host both had fun when writing it. 

I think a good RP comes from when the roleplayers actively work together to make a good story. I've seen too many RPs that had the host just throw their hands in the air and say 'I dunno, lel,' and the RP just never goes any where, and I've seen RPs where people are too controlling, so you don't even know why you're rping with them. 

A lot of things make for a good RP. I think the most important part is just whether people are having fun. Whether that's because they're RPing with friends, enjoy their character, enjoy the plot, or are just plain excited about the RP, as long as they're having fun, that's what matters. And, of course, it helps if the host and players are present and active. But generally, you need a bit of everything for the fun to happen, and as long as nobody loses steam, then it should keep chugging along.

OK, nobody's questioning me, so I'll explain.

It's entirely subjective. It depends on the player.

When you make a sandwich, maybe you'll make it the way someone else happens to like it. Maybe you'll make something everyone would like to try, but they find out it's not so great. Some people just have different tastes, metaphorically speaking. You've just got to make sure it's cohesive, active, and fun. The rest of the pieces will come from the conceptual basis of the game, and that's up to you.

Archived