Sketch dump

Sleepy

Haven't done anything substantial for a long time (what else is new, am I right?). Here's a few rough sketches

What is blurred out writing is because some SOME of these are card concepts I haven't been able to think something for.

[spoiler=Beasts]

2blJekN.jpg

[spoiler=Bugs]

HIUCT8n.jpg

[spoiler=Plants]

4tjU9Qr.jpg

[spoiler=Giraffe (no it is not a pun or anything)]

kluDCRn.jpg

[spoiler=OCs]

jROKmzn.jpg

[spoiler=One last one]

FrWNl0a.jpg

Uhhh I'm sure you want better and more constructive criticism but I'm no pro, I'll give what I can.

you really draw animals a lot better than humans. Looking over all your animal ones their anatomy feel a lot better structured. Even for rough sketches they look great. Your humans on the other hand suck although I don't doubt you already are aware of this. The messy chicken-scratch lines on your humans(first OC sketch especially) are indicative of how you struggled with them, compared to the really clean lines your animal sketches have. While a lot of that can probably be fixed with practice and study, the eyes, cut them out. Aim for at least a slightly more realistic style for the eyes. The eyes on your last sketch in particular are creepy and not moe.

Uhhh I'm sure you want better and more constructive criticism but I'm no pro, I'll give what I can.

you really draw animals a lot better than humans. Looking over all your animal ones their anatomy feel a lot better structured. Even for rough sketches they look great. Your humans on the other hand suck although I don't doubt you already are aware of this. The messy chicken-scratch lines on your humans(first OC sketch especially) are indicative of how you struggled with them, compared to the really clean lines your animal sketches have. While a lot of that can probably be fixed with practice and study, the eyes, cut them out. Aim for at least a slightly more realistic style for the eyes. The eyes on your last sketch in particular are creepy and not moe.

That's pretty accurate xD

Down to the eyes part even. I don't remember struggling with eyes in the past but I did on this and I eventually said "uh.. that's the closest I got... I'll take it". Yes it looked worse the first 5 or so versions haha. I'll work on those points.

EDIT:

Just to make sure I am clear on this:

Thank you! I really really appreciate a post like this =)

Your sketches remind me of the contour drawings I've had to do in art class. Also a lot of it looks as if you have observed it in real life but not actually taken in what you saw, but that's fine. That's the first step to realism in art. I'd suggest studying anatomy, especially prehensile organs, such as hands, feet, paws, etc. I'd also recommend learning to draw realistically before tackling styles such as the ever-popular anime. Like learning to walk before learning to hopscotch.

But, I see a lot of potential. Keep at it! ^_^

Your sketches remind me of the contour drawings I've had to do in art class. Also a lot of it looks as if you have observed it in real life but not actually taken in what you saw, but that's fine. That's the first step to realism in art. I'd suggest studying anatomy, especially prehensile organs, such as hands, feet, paws, etc. I'd also recommend learning to draw realistically before tackling styles such as the ever-popular anime. Like learning to walk before learning to hopscotch.

But, I see a lot of potential. Keep at it! ^_^

Yes. The animal drawings were mostly made looking at Google images. It sure beats trying to draw from memory any day, but art teachers know what they are talking about when they say looking at what you are drawing directly gives better results. I remember I put that to test back in high school with trees. 

Heh, I tend to struggle with hands and feet, no, actually with the whole pair of legs rather than just the feet.

Thank you for the feedback~

Archived