Term Limits

Ryusei the Morning Star

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/if-republicans-really-want-to-drain-the-swamp-heres-how-to-do-it/2016/12/08/7b722582-bd6f-11e6-94ac-3d324840106c_story.html?postshare=491481296087189&tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.ecd9f376952f

Sen. Cruz and Rep. Ron DeSantis are pushing for the amendment

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/cruz-to-introduce-constitutional-amendment-for-term-limits/article/2609265?custom_click=rss

Both Speaker Ryan and the President Elect have both supported the measure

It would take a 2/3's vote in both the House and the Senate as well 3/4 validation by the state legislatures

GOP currently controls 33, so one democratic state leg would need to come over. But there's real motive for it to happen since 78% of Americans favor term limits

I'm in favor of this, tentatively.

I feel like if you have a senator or representative who does good by you and has generally high approval (i.e. Sanders) they shouldn't be forced out, but it's firmly a case of a majority ruining it for the minority. A large number of reps and senators are just terrible, and need to be gently pushed out of the system.

Many monarchs and dictators were popular to begin with, within a period of time they built up such a power base that it becomes nearly impossible to remove them.

California is a decent reason why term limits aren't the solution, because people cycle through elected office and then become lobbyists, but that's not a reason to not do term limits, it's just an observation that term limits alone won't suffice. Which is where they lobbyist restrictions that President Elect Trump imposed on his team, and suggested for the nation need to be implemented 

I was very impressed with President-Elect Trump when I learned he supported congressional term limits.

There's no way it's going to happen, not soon anyway, but it's something that definitely needs to.

I wouldn't be so sure, there's a lot of big names supporting the matter

Senator Rubio and Cruz

President Elect Trump

Speaker of the House Paul Ryan

It's got a lot of support on the GOP side atleast. I can see it clearing the house and then have the Sen Leader and Sen Sanders kill it through Filibuster however 

Which is to be expected both of those men have been serving in office for longer than I've been alive. It's not surprising that neither would want to relinquish power

i can get behind this easily. yeah, it's not the only thing that needs to happen to reset the system, but it's a strong start, and an additional restriction on how long you must wait to become a lobbyist afterwards is a good idea as well, it removes a few easy links between politics and corperations. make it just enough time to cycle through one or two rounds, and we should see some improvement in the system. a bit of new blood circulating sounds like a great idea.

i can get behind this easily. yeah, it's not the only thing that needs to happen to reset the system, but it's a strong start, and an additional restriction on how long you must wait to become a lobbyist afterwards is a good idea as well, it removes a few easy links between politics and corperations. make it just enough time to cycle through one or two rounds, and we should see some improvement in the system. a bit of new blood circulating sounds like a great idea.

Problem is something like rep->gov->Sen

• 2 weeks later...

Term limits have interesting policy implications because they have huge impacts on decision horizons.  The US is a country that already suffers from very short decision horizons (aka the amount of time ahead a politician is willing to think) because of the frequency of elections, but with term limits you make policies about looking further ahead all the less possible.

On the other hand, I still support term limits primarily because something needs to be done to improve trust in congress and since people aren't willing to vote out their own congresspeople, this could have a positive impact (and can't really have a negative one).

• 4 weeks later...

Archived