Dad's Zero Tolerance Policy

Dad

I've been in the habit of dropping posts here and there over the past week or two with a "Zero Tolerance" post.  I'd like to clear the air and sort of make things easier for everyone to understand what I mean by that.

First and foremost, this is not a threat.  This is not me saying "I'm looking to ban you for your next mistake".  This is not my attempt to scare you, belittle you, or harm you.  My "Zero Tolerance" policy is something that I intend to implement when I see a hot topic that I believe will quickly derail and result in lots of anger, shitposting, revenge posts, flaming, and more.  So, what do I mean by "Zero Tolerance"?

If I post in your thread, and I drop a "Zero Tolerance" warning, this means I am watching your thread more heavily for rule violations.  Why?  Your topic of choice is sensitive and likely to cause tension and unbalance in the thread.  That doesn't mean the topic can't be discussed.  Rather, it means the topic needs to be discussed carefully, so that it doesn't result in a series of posts of one person attacking another, and so on.

What is "Zero Tolerance" directed towards?  If I say "Zero Tolerance", I mean that I will immediately lock a thread if it results in flaming, consistent derailing (one or two sub topics here and there I may just point out, but after that, I'll lock it), shitposting (posts that generate no discussion, are generally toxic, or are designed to anger someone), and memeing.  This includes but is not limited to image-only posts.  This ain't miscellaneous bruh.  Say something.

If there's any comments or concerns, I'm open to reason and I will be listening.

And since this is a "Zero Tolerance" discussion, there will be Zero Tolerance.

Why don't you talk to me?

I also agree with this sentiment:

But muh shitposts....

In all seriousness though i think its a good idea. Exactly how strictly this gets enforced might change my opinion on it, but if you aren't too heavy handed and let users speak with some acceptable passion it should work out great.

Quick question: Let's say there's a given General thread about breakfast where Member B replies to Member A's post on their favorite breakfast meal by making a remark that's more of a joke or a response to something in Member A's post that's not relevant to the overall topic. Are those still allowed, or would they be considered not furthering the discussion?

Quick question: Let's say there's a given General thread about breakfast where Member B replies to Member A's post on their favorite breakfast meal by making a remark that's more of a joke or a response to something in Member A's post that's not relevant to the overall topic. Are those still allowed, or would they be considered not furthering the discussion?

Now hold on now, I'm not saying "Guys, don't have any fun.  Don't crack jokes.  Srs discussion only!"  A crack here and there is fine.  Especially in a general topic.  The chances, in this particular example, of me labeling a breakfast topic as "Zero Tolerance" are less than zero.  So it's totally fine to have a bit of fun.  This is more me just letting you guys know where I stand on my "Zero Tolerance" policy.  This doesn't mean every thread is Zero Tolerance, nor does it mean I'm stalking your every post.  You will really only see me post this in a very sensitive and hard to discuss topic.

For the worst of the best examples:  The Abortion Thread.

• 2 weeks later...

If there are no further questions regarding this policy, I will lock this thread later today and implement it into the General Section rules.  Note that this will not become a rule.  Rather, while I mod General, it will be a personal policy that I will attempt to enforce only where absolutely necessary.  I will make that clear in the "General Rules" thread.

Archived