[MTG] YCM's Very Own Cube?

So recently I've become increasingly interested in the prospects of building my own cube. It seems like a creative way to make use of cards that might rarely see play, or that you just wish you could play more often, and it's interesting because it's a singleton format that isn't EDH. To this end, I wanted to inquire as to whether anyone would be interested in building our very own "YCM Cube" consisting of cards chosen by various members. I understand that building a good cube is easier said than done, but I think it would make for a fun endeavor to build and possibly play one (presumably with a f2p software like Cockatrice), and that it would be a great way to get members engaged in a group activity!

Additionally, if you have any cool cubes you've found on teh interwebs or built yourself, feel free to share them here for inspiration. I came across one called the "Golden Monkey" on the front page of cubetutor, which is a cool webapp for constructing cubes and analyzing their metrics.

I have extensive experience both in playing and putting together cubes, so if this is happening I'll volunteer to help however possible.

As long as we can submit any card, them I'm in.

I'd like to say right here that not all cards belong in cube. Hell, not all good cards belong in cube.

Generally speaking, all cards you see in a cube are things that give you value as nearly any point in the game. Punishing Fire, Hypnotic Specter, things like that.

As long as we can agree on a solid theme/gimmick before actually constructing the thing, I've been down. Made a few thematic cubes in my life... will have to pull up my CubeTutor account again at some point.

Also, not all cubes have to be singleton. I actually find it more interesting when some key cards are more heavily weighted.

EDIT: http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/51354 - A really shitty graveyard-focused cube I wrote up a year or two ago. Could probably stand to be updated with Amonkhet/Kaladesh cards.

EDIT 2: I would suggest setting up a dedicated Discord chat/server for the process. Would be useful in coordinating members who're interested.

As long as we can agree on a solid theme/gimmick before actually constructing the thing, I've been down. Made a few thematic cubes in my life... will have to pull up my CubeTutor account again at some point.

Also, not all cubes have to be singleton. I actually find it more interesting when some key cards are more heavily weighted.

EDIT: http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/51354 - A really shitty graveyard-focused cube I wrote up a year or two ago. Could probably stand to be updated with Amonkhet/Kaladesh cards.

EDIT 2: I would suggest setting up a dedicated Discord chat/server for the process. Would be useful in coordinating members who're interested.

Great idea, I'll get around to setting up a discord. Also, you're certainly right about not needing a singleton restriction. It's something we'll have to discuss, as well as deciding the theme(s) of the cube. There are some great videos by TolarianAcademy about building a cube, and lots of general guidelines (which we can throw out the window as needed) to better ensure a successful cube.

I'll setup a google doc where members can start making suggestions on things like themes. More details will be sent out in the discord once that it setup as well.

I have extensive experience both in playing and putting together cubes, so if this is happening I'll volunteer to help however possible. I'd like to say right here that not all cards belong in cube. Hell, not all good cards belong in cube.

Generally speaking, all cards you see in a cube are things that give you value as nearly any point in the game. Punishing Fire, Hypnotic Specter, things like that.

Your help is greatly appreciated! I'll definitely be wanting suggestions in the aforementioned discord and google doc (both yet to be made). Also, I totally agree about the comment regarding card choice. I think that even with things like deciding themes and distribution of card types (creature, artifact, instant/sorcery, etc), the hardest part of this process will be striking a balance between allowing members to feel creative with their suggestions for individual cards while working to maintain the "integrity" of our cube. That phase will certainly require some forethought.

But on the other hand, it's not like this has to be a one time thing, and playtesting/revisions exist for a reason!

I've been curating my own 360 cube for a couple years now plus my lgs has a pretty active cube community. I'm definitely interested. I love cube drafts and playing other peoples cubes.

The thing you need to decide is what kind of cube do you want? Vintage, legacy, modern ect and what size of cube you want. 360-540 is ideal for 8 people. This will influence your card and archetype choices. Like Rinne said, certain cards that may be powerhouses in other formats just not might cut it for cube or just be way too powerful for limited.

Not doing singleton is kind of weird. Getting the card ratios right is a bit of a pain and once people figure out the card ratios you have to change it up.

Archived