[Striker] Weekend Contest #8

Nathanael D. Striker

C5DSAsl.png

Welcome to Week 2 of 5 for this Contest Series. New contestants are of course welcome to join in as well as returning ones. The standings are as followed, and let the show begin.

1. Jack Frost (5)
Eshai (5)
3. BatMed (1)
Azure Wolf (1)
5. Dtwist11 (0)

[spoiler=Rules]
All YCM Rules Apply
In order to enter, just post your intention here.
Cards (and lore) may be posted within the thread when completed. Once posted, the specific card can be edited before the deadline but not replaced with another card.
Written Cards are accepted, but no pictureless cards.
The usage of Fake Types / Attributes, as well as DIVINE, Divine-Beast and Creator God is expressly forbidden.
You are expected to design a card that adheres to the current standards set by Konami (usage of the existing 23 legal Types + 6 Attributes).
While my judging is ultimately final, contestants are welcome to appeal with anything I may have missed in their card that would alter their score.
Deadline for entry/submission is December 11th at 11:59pm PST.
I have the right to add rules.

[spoiler=Card Requirement]
This week will once again be under Legacy Format. Your task is to create a card that can equip itself to one of your opponent's cards and cause some mayhem as a result. Think Weevil (or however his name is spelled) as inspiration. Yea, going back to the OG Yugioh with this.

[spoiler=Prizes]
1st: 5 Series Points, 2000 points, 2 Reps
2nd: 3 Series Points, 1000 points, 1 Rep
3rd: 1 Series Point, 500 points

[spoiler=Rubric]
Balance: /25
Playability: /15
Creativity: /10
Total: /50

[spoiler=Contestants]

Let's see if I can do a little better this time! Here's my card for round 2!

t8sREgJ.jpg

Yggdrasil's Vines

LIGHT Tuner

Plant-Type

200ATK

800DEF

When this card is destroyed by battle or card effect or used as material for the Synchro Summon of a Plant-Type Monster, you may equip this card to one effect Monster your opponent controls. That card's effects are negated and it cannot change its battle position. That card loses 2000ATK during the Battle Phase and must attack if able. During your Standby Phase, the original owner of this card may destroy this card, the original owner of this card gains 2000 Life Points.

Wet Blanket
WATER - ✪✪✪ - Psychic/Effect - 0/1300
If a card(s) on the field is destroyed by battle or by a card effect: You can Equip this card from your hand to 1 face-up monster your opponent control. That monster cannot declare an attack, also its effects are negated. When this card equipped card is sent to the GY because that monster left the field: You can banish 1 monster from your GY; return this card to your hand. You can only use each effect of this card's name once per turn.

I made a cursed equip... out of a Union Monster... and is an Extra Deck monster... have fun with that.

Singing Sword from the Sea

WATER - Level 4 - Warrior/Fusion/Union/Effect - 2000 ATK/1900 DEF

2 monsters, including at least 1 monster equipped with an Equip Card

Must first be Special Summoned by sending the above cards from your field, and/or monsters equipped with Equip Cards you control from either field to the GY (You do not use “Polymerization”.) Once per turn, you can either (Quick Effect): Target 1 monster your opponent control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. A monster equipped with this card has its ATK become 0, and its effects negated, also if the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or card effect, destroy this card instead.

The lore behind it is that it's a Sword with the powers of a Siren, being able to lure thrill-seekers to its place of belonging, promising a powerful weapon only to kill them when they finally get it.

Couple things.

• Using monsters your opponent controls as Materials similar to Chimeratech Fortress Dragon sounds so fun that I'll probably make a archetype. Made it so you have to control the Equip card, since not having to would make this free removal against Decks with Equip Cards. That would be such a terrible thing for a meta that hates on them so frequently to begin with.

• If you unequip it and Special Summon it again, you don’t have to care about the Extra Monster Zone, so this is compatible with Legacy and Link Format. Yay.

• Cursed Equips aren’t the only Deck that benefits from this (since none exist in the first place at the moment). Decks with any form of Equip Cards could benefit from this. While several have Equips with restrictions that say for example “you can only Equip this card to a Warrior Monster”, making this card exist could give Decks a reason to run generic Equips, since it turns them into non-destruction removal. Not going to say non-targeting since the Equips have to target.

• Your opponent can kill the card via attacking against 1 of your monsters and taking the damage, since the protection clause on Union monsters is mandatory. That means you have to be careful with how and when you negate. It could potentially be terrible for you if you screw up. 

[spoiler: The Link Monster Version I accidentally made]

Singing Sword of the Seas

WATER - Left, Right - Warrior/Link/Union/Effect - 1900 ATK/LINK 2

1+ monster(s), including at least 1 monster equipped with an Equip Card

You can use monsters equipped with Equip Cards you control from either field as materials for the Link Summon of this card. You can either (Quick Effect): Target 1 monster your opponent control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. You can only use this effect of “Singing Sword of the Seas” once per turn. A monster equipped with this card has its ATK become 0, and its effects negated, also if the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or card effect, destroy this card instead.

Which do you guys like better?

[spoiler=it's flying in your vicinity, snatching your elemental energies]aS8boBS.png

While this card is in your hand or face-up on the field, if a non-LIGHT or DARK monster is Normal or Special Summoned: You can equip this card to that monster. While equipped with this card, it is treated as having no Attribute. If the monster this card is equipped to is sent to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon this card, and if you do, you can activate 1 of the following effects, depending on the Attribute of that monster:

•EARTH: Target 1 monster you control; It cannot be destroyed by battle while this card remains face-up on the field.
•FIRE: Your opponent takes 800 damage.
•WATER: Draw 1 card, then you can discard 1 card.
•WIND: Target 1 Spell/Trap Card on the field; Return it to its owner's hand.

I just wanted a *dark* twist on the old element cards.

Going out of character for a bit to drop this here. Graded it a bit harsher this time, but the cards were alright nonetheless. You have until noon tomorrow to voice objections.

[spoiler=Dtwist11]

Balance: 15/25

Playability: 10/15

Creativity: 6/10

Total: 31/50

This card is hit or miss in the balance department. In one hand, it is underpowered due to the ability for your opponent to sidestep this card with non-destruction removal. On the other hand, it is overpowered when your opponent cannot use non-destruction removal. Hell, you can Summon this card and take the damage by attacking with this to use its effect. What you get out of it is a lot: effect negation, an almost guaranteed 0 ATK monster during the Battle Phase (I'd go after a Boss Monster if I could, which wouldn't guarantee a 0 ATK monster during the Battle Phase, but that's just me), a monster that cannot change battle positions, a monster that must attack (odds of the selected monster being in Defense Position are laughable), and a monster that can give you 2000 LP (which would more than recoup you for the damage you took to set this chain of events off).

Playability-wise, I'm not entirely sure of the play-style of plants these days, but I do remember them being Synchro happy at one point. While this card does try to accommodate that, I doubt it'd be used in that way most of the time. Creativity-wise, seems interesting; however, it essentially does what it should when I think of a parasitic monster and adds little to that.

[spoiler=Dova]

Balance: 23/25

Playability: 13/15

Creativity: 9/10

Total: 45/50

High points for creativity. A WATER Psychic-Type is one I've rarely seen, which is fitting for you given your affection for rare Attribute/Type combinations. Furthermore, the effect throws an interesting twist on the parasite monster.

Now, I like the surprise element that this card presents. Concerning the second effect, your opponent will know you have it; however, they wouldn't know when you'd use it. The first use is a complete surprise, which should make your opponent question things later on. The effect negation and attack prevention feel standard due to how that part is presented, but still good. The banish in the second effect does make sense as that's part of the Psychic's schtick iirc, so kuddos for you. Overall, lovely card, though I wish it wasn't so reactive though with the first effect. Ah well, still good nonetheless.

[spoiler=Eshai]

Balance: 24/25

Playability: 12/15

Creativity: 10/10

Total: 46/50

Interesting lore, check. Unusual combination of Contact Fusion and Union, check. The Union clause puts an interesting twist on the parasite monster, and actually makes it feel refreshing: not standard by any means with this one. Furthermore, a twist on the Union clause itself. When I think of Union, I think of it equipping to a monster you control. It equipping to a monster your opponent controls intrigues me.

Wait, you can use your opponent's monsters if they are equipped with your Equip Cards? Best case scenario in terms of removal is that you use two of your opponent's monsters; however, all the wasted resources (read Equip Spells that would be harder to recover than monsters) makes that idiotic in a way. Using one of your monsters and one of your opponent's seems better in that regard, especially since the odds of that happening are better than using two of your opponent's monsters. In essence, this card punishes for being greedy with removal, which alleviates some of my concerns.

I'll take your word on the Playability aspect, especially since my original thoughts were the use of Decks that revolved around Equip Spells (none came to mind, so thanks for the design notes). Balance-wise, I already talked a bit about that. The mandatory destruction does make you think about using this, and I like that. Not too often a card's use can backfire on you, which forces critical thinking about the situation. I do have to ask if this card can lead to another copy of this card. I ask because if it doesn't, the forced protective destruction wouldn't let you fully utilize this card imo.

[spoiler=Jack Frost]

Balance: 21/25

Playability: 12/15

Creativity: 7/10

Total: 40/50

Not exactly what I envision when I think of a parasitic monster, but it fits the requirements. I've never heard of an effect that treats a monster as having no Attribute, so points for that. The issue I have with that being the only downside for your opponent is that your opponent's monster is still at full strength in terms of attacking and its effect. And due to this card's other effect, you'd better have removal ready or else you may be in trouble.

This card would be entirely useless against some Decks, which would suggest this card would be Side Deck material at best. Not the worst thing in the world, but it does hamper playability. The last effect hopefully allows you to start the process over again as well as give you a thematic effect depending on the Attribute you stole. Fitting, I'd say.

Looks like no objections. I'll pay out the points for this contest and the previous one shortly. Also, Contest #3 of this series will be up shortly as well.

Contest Results

1st: Eshai

2nd: Dova

3rd Jack Frost

4th: Dtwist11

Series Standings

1st: Eshai (10)

2nd: Jack Frost (6)

3rd: Dova (3)

4th: BatMed and Azure Wolf (1)

6th: Dtwist11 (0)

Archived