Area 88: The Retro Anime Club

Should have started this a funking year ago, but funk it. Better late than never.

[spoiler=What is Area 88?]Seriously? Did you not read the title, numbnuts?

Area 88 is a club where we watch anime. But not that frilly colorful sheet they show you on crunchyroll. funk no. The sheet we watch here will put hair on your chest! We'll make you question that pitiful existence of yours and wonder just who the funk you were before you discovered such AWESOME. funking. CARTOONS. WE'RE HERE TO BLOW YOUR MIND AND BLOW sheet UP!

They don't make 'em like they used to. Welcome to Area 88, YCM. Time to man the funk up.

[spoiler=How we do sheet]Dirt simple. Every week, we watch some anime and talk about it. If its a longer anime (read: over 26 episodes/9hours runtime) we'll break it up into equal blocks and do it over two weeks or a month. Then, everyone who wants to will submit an Anime for us to watch next, and we vote on the one we want to watch. Rinse and repeat. The only caveat is that it has to be old. We don't do new up in this jabroni.

Also probably a good time to let you in on a few things:

First up, since a lot of these will be pretty old, tracking them down online can and will be difficult. Now, while I can't officially endorse my usual methods for finding old anime (Sacrificing babies to satan is frowned upon, apparently), anyone who wants to, or is having trouble finding what we're watching should come to me in PM for some demonic enlightenment, if you catch my drift. Otherwise, we'll have reputable links to youtube or streaming services posted in this thread.

The other thing is that the subject matter for a lot of stone cold classics is definitely NSFW (either due to excessive gore, naughty bits, or just general unpleasantness), and so any anime that contains those things must and will be tagged appropriately. You've been warned, kiddies.

[spoiler=Rules]

1. Swearing is encouraged. The more colorful the better.

2. Being an jabroni is discouraged. Don't do it.

3. Everyone's opinion has merit. Even if you didn't like something we've viewed, telling us why can be enlightening. Don't be afraid to speak your funking mind, pansies.

4. If you're talking about an anime we haven't finished viewing yet, put your spoilers in spoiler tags. Or I will hunt you down.

5. I can edit and update these any time I want, probably because I forgot something. Deal with it.

6. Like so.

7. look, I did it again.

8. If you've already seen an anime we're watching, you don't need to watch it again, unless you want to.

9. If you don't have time to watch something, just post in the thread saying so. We're gonna try and keep this jabroni active, so viewing as much as possible is a necessity.

[spoiler=Joining Area 88]Literally just post in this thread stating your intent to join, preferably accompanied by some colorful swear words. Then you will become a MAN OF DESTINY, aka a badass, aka one of the cool people, aka a member of this club, and be added to the spoiler below.

[spoiler=Active MEN OF DESTINY]Zai

Thar

[spoiler= Submitting an Anime]Literally any movie, OVA, or series you want, so long as it was released before January 1st, 2004 in japan. Dubs are preferred, but subs (fan or otherwise), and even raws are acceptable depending on the series. When you submit an anime, please add a brief description of it and why you think its worth watching. Whenever we finish an anime, we'll vote from all the current submissions, and the anime that wins will be next.

If you have a reputable source for an anime, you should post it here. Otherwise, its up to each individual to find the entry themselves, or to come to me to sacrifice an infant so you can watch it. And again, if it has NSFW content, tag it as such or I will murder you.

[spoiler=What we're watching]To be announced!

[spoiler=sheet we've seen]

• 2 weeks later...

Although watching anime is not a very recurrent thing for me (I'm more of a "read the manga" person and typically don't finish a lot of anime these days), I find this concept interesting.

Sometime down the line, this could be used for Winter's originally intended plan for the original Yugioh anime, although sadly, only the first 109 episodes were broadcasted before 2004, leaving over half the series illegal.

But nah... talking of old and more manageable series to suggest:
I never finished "The Outlaw Star" or "Gundam G".
I've also been curious of Trigun ever since I learned it was one of the anime that inspired Alucard from Hellsing.

Btw, if I read correctly, do you intend to dedicate a single week for a full series? That sounds pretty hardcore. We'll need 37-hour day cycles xD

• 9 months later...

Archived