Gift of the Naturopath (A Diet Even An Aromage Could Be Entranced With)

Black D'Sceptyr

OH NO ITS A FLOWER CROWN GET IN THE HUMMER

dda2pis-0f7bf87b-26e2-4c25-b1e0-6cd36448

[spoiler=Gift of the Naturopath: Info]

Normal Spell Card

Lore: If you gained 3000 or less LP since last turn: Pay 2000 LP; draw 1 card for every 1000 LP you gained since last turn, then you gain 500 LP for each "Gift of the Naturopath" that you activated this turn, but you cannot draw cards with card effects for the rest of the turn, also you can only activate 1 Normal Spell for the rest of the turn after this effect resolves.

But really, though: Who doesn't love more draw-card tech, boys and gals? 

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d14306a76596c4677

Seriously? Starting to think the wrong Styles got injured lately, buddy boy. 

Anywez, to this card. Basically Ancient Leaf, but for a strict limit of LP gain. You've got a Soul Absorbtion up in Thunder Dragons or Metaphys-or just in a Deck that can banish Necroface easily-and you'll easily hit 3K LP and draw you your 3 cards.

Plus, you gain some LP too, so if you've got those Juragedos up in Aromages, here's your new draw tech. That, ideally, you'll use AFTER Jasmine gets her Deck-thinning licks in and not BEFORE. 

And finally, I will be working on the rest of the Vision HERO cards I promised ya'll on this upcoming Thursday and Friday folks-just got a bit backlogged with my card creations o'er here at the BlaDeS of Change Workshop. (well, that and list cleanup duty, seriously this thing is rolling out of the door and into traffic now.)

Until the next card, folks: reviews, revelry, you know the drill.

BD'S, signing off.

UPDATE I: This time, I made some changes to the card by @@Prime-Ace John's suggestions. Give him some points for his troubles, won't ya?

What's up BDS. It's been a long time since I dropped a comment on here so keep in mind I'm still not completely caught up with the meta so please excuse me if I don't come off too current-in-standing.

I think the card is really cool and pretty creative. The only part I want to really throw my opinion on is the wording of the lore.

1) In the effect, the main play comes off of the "... since last turn" part. I would specify this a little bit more. The reason why, is because since this is a Normal Spell Card, it means this card can pretty much only be activated during your turn. When you give the clause of "... since last turn", I think it refers to the literal turn before: your opponent's turn. I'm not exactly sure if your intention was to profit off of your LP gain from your opponent's turn, but if it was, then the effect is fine how it is. However, if the intention for the "since last turn" was implying your last turn, I would change the card in 2 different routes...

Route A) You can add the 'your' part to the effect to look something like "... since your last turn". (Again, I'm not completely sure on the intention of it being your last turn or your opponent's last turn, but if it is supposed to mean your last turn, I would just add that small thing in.)

Route B) You can turn this card into a Quick-Play to be able to activate it during the beginning of your opponent's next turn. I'm more of a fan of Route A, but Route B is also viable. 

(Again, I'm not completely sure on the intention of it being your last turn or your opponent's last turn, but if it is supposed to mean your last turn, I would just add that small thing in.)

2) The second part of your effect reads something like: "...then you gain 500 LP for each "Gift of the Naturopath" that is face-up on your field or in your GY...". The only part in this that I see might be kind of strange is where you wrote "for each 'Gift of the Naturopath' that is face-up on your field'". As it stands right now, that part of the effect seems kind of strange. The reason why, is because since this card is a Normal Spell Card, there can only be 1 face-up Gift of the Naturopath on the field (by its own activation). If this card was a Continuous Card, then that part of the effect makes more sense since you could have face-up copies of that card. To be quite honest, I'm not 100% sure that you can gain the 500 LP for activating this card and treating as it being "face-up on your field", that seems like some deep diving into official card text knowledge, but I will just assume that you do profit off of it. If the case was to gain the 500 LP for each face-up Gift of the Naturopath, then it seems kinda' off considering it's a Normal Spell Card. If this card was a Trap or Quick-Play, that effect could also work  (off chains) but I think the card text would change a little bit to something like: 'gain 500 LP for each time you activated a "Gift of the Naturopath" this turn'. So I will provide my opinion on different routes you could go with this:
     Route A) Keep it a Normal Spell card, but take out: 'gain 500 LP for each face-up "Gift of the Naturopath"' part to something like 'gain 500 LP for each "Gift of the Naturopath" activated this turn' (<--- not super confident on that wording, but you get the picture).
     Route B) Turn it into Quick-Play Spell / Trap card to have it being a chain effect that would make more sense. If you kept it the same wording, then the chain would profit off how many "Gift of the Naturopath" are being chained to it, if you changed the wording into something like what I mentioned, it would profit without the need of a chain.
     Route C) Just remove that part. Maybe I'm just a little outdated on the important benefits of including the 'gain 500 LP for each face-up "Gift of the Naturopath"'; but I don't think you need it, really. I would just keep the 500 LP gain from the ones in the GY. Having the face-up part just seems a tad bit excessive. So, I would just have it go:
'If you gained 3000 or less LP since last turn: Pay 2000 LP; draw 1 card for every 1000 LP you gained since last turn, then you gain 500 LP for each "Gift of the Naturopath" that is face-up on your field or in your GY, but you cannot draw cards with card effects for the rest of the turn.' 

Wow, that was long. Sorry for the long read. Hope it helped! 

Wow, that was long. Sorry for the long read. Hope it helped! 

You certainly did,  @@Prime-Ace John. Alright, to your main points: 

A) Yes, this was intended to only activate on your turn, but count yours and your opponent's. It's to keep it, specifically, from being repeatedly used and re-used on consecutive turns. Draw tech, even one as restricted as this, can easily get out of hand with the right loopholes (Card of Demise had four and still found ways around them, especially with True Dracos.) So I suppose I'll be going with your first option on this, but I do warn you-as I said before, one Necroface banish under a Soul Absorption and this card's already gonna draw you three, making it apply since the activator's last turn means you've guaranteed a +6 for your next two turns. Regardless, it's the only way forward for this (not just cuz this card's also part of a DeviArt booster pack and changing its Spell type's a no-go when the set's complete.)

B) 1st route for this seems optimal as well. I'll make it an option too, but yeah, again, chaging the spell type's out of the question and the LP gain is meant to help compensate for A) the high LP cost it demands of you, B) to help compensate if you haven't gained that much LP during your turn but still want benefit, and C) to help Aromages, which this card was originally made to support. 

Regardless, I love your critiques and have given you your options in a rather opaque desire to see more of 'em. Keep them coming, Optimus!

You certainly did,  @@Prime-Ace John. Alright, to your main points: 

A) Yes, this was intended to only activate on your turn, but count yours and your opponent's. It's to keep it, specifically, from being repeatedly used and re-used on consecutive turns. Draw tech, even one as restricted as this, can easily get out of hand with the right loopholes (Card of Demise had four and still found ways around them, especially with True Dracos.) So I suppose I'll be going with your first option on this, but I do warn you-as I said before, one Necroface banish under a Soul Absorption and this card's already gonna draw you three, making it apply since the activator's last turn means you've guaranteed a +6 for your next two turns. Regardless, it's the only way forward for this (not just cuz this card's also part of a DeviArt booster pack and changing its Spell type's a no-go when the set's complete.)

B) 1st route for this seems optimal as well. I'll make it an option too, but yeah, again, chaging the spell type's out of the question and the LP gain is meant to help compensate for A) the high LP cost it demands of you, B) to help compensate if you haven't gained that much LP during your turn but still want benefit, and C) to help Aromages, which this card was originally made to support. 

Regardless, I love your critiques and have given you your options in a rather opaque desire to see more of 'em. Keep them coming, Optimus!

Thank you for the appreciation! 

Your explanation makes way more sense to me now. I didn't fully understand the effect Aromages have in current meta, I kinda' just know how they are in Duel Links (pitiful, I know) but I'm surprised that they are still going relatively strong and this card would indeed give them that slight boost. I was not totally in favor of turning it into a Quick-Play, to be quite honest because although I'm not fully enhanced in the current meta, I did have a feeling that turning something like this into a Quick-Play could potentially be scary, I just wanted to provide an option that could change how the card works. I stand by what you did to keep that part of the effect the same; it makes good sense. 

And I will try to provide more, if I can! 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived