Ritual Crystal Beast

Scarman3317

(Original picture: https://wall.alphacoders.com/big.php?i=366344)

Crystal Beast Jasper Manticore (FIRE)
Beast/Ritual/Effect
You can summon this card with "Crystal Regalia".
You can return another "Crystal" card you control to the hand: you cannot activate Continuous Spells/Traps with that card's name this turn, also choose 1 monster on the field; until the end of this turn that monster has its effects negated.
If this face-up card is destroyed in a Monster Card Zone, you can place it face-up in a Spell & Trap Zone, instead of sending it to the Graveyard.
ATK 1900/DEF 400

Crystal Regalia
Ritual Spell Card
This card is used to summon "Crystal Beast Jasper Manticore" from your hand or Spell & Trap Zone. You must also tribute "Crystal" monsters whose total levels equal 3 or more from the field or your hand, or send 1 "Crystal Beast" Continuous Spell Card from the field to the Graveyard.

With these cards I wanted to explore a possibility for the Crystal Beast archetype to have a different endgame than Rainbow Dragon. I know that a new version of Rainbow Dragon has recently been revealed, that of course I didn't know of, and the effect of which probably ends up making my cards unnecessary, but I wanted to know what do you think of them regardless.

downloadManticore.png.bfb40ac1eb37c8299f2faa183733d145.pngdownloadRegalia.png.33e2df80be5b88211029ffe1d54bffe9.png

Edit: Added source for Jasper Manticore's original picture.

This is honestly wonderful. This thing is so easy to summon you run 3 on sight without question, it has an effect that Crystal Beasts have been missing for so long it's sad, and I love the fact that you decided to give some love to Crystal Beasts. They deserve all of it. But maybe bump the attack up by 100? The Crystal Beasts have always struggled with getting damage on board, and I don't think 2000 is too much of a boost is it?

Considering that it's a Ritual that's easy to run over (it has only 1900 ATK), you should probably buff it so that it can negate any card as long as you have Crystal Beast Continuous Spells to use.

Really, that's not overpowered at all. Herald of Perfection does the same thing with Fairies in the owner's hand and has a much beefier 2800 DEF.

22 hours ago, Wildprince15 said:

This is honestly wonderful. This thing is so easy to summon you run 3 on sight without question, it has an effect that Crystal Beasts have been missing for so long it's sad, and I love the fact that you decided to give some love to Crystal Beasts. They deserve all of it. But maybe bump the attack up by 100? The Crystal Beasts have always struggled with getting damage on board, and I don't think 2000 is too much of a boost is it?

I didn't expect such a positive review, thank you!
I've been wondering, too, actually: it seems just too fitting of an effect (especially its cost) to think that no one at Konami ever thought about it...
Other than that, I can definitely raise the ATK points a bit, even up to 2100. It would become the most powerful level 3 monster in all of Yugioh, which I find rather cool.

16 hours ago, gmaster1991 said:

Considering that it's a Ritual that's easy to run over (it has only 1900 ATK), you should probably buff it so that it can negate any card as long as you have Crystal Beast Continuous Spells to use.

Really, that's not overpowered at all. Herald of Perfection does the same thing with Fairies in the owner's hand and has a much beefier 2800 DEF.

But Herald of Perfection's effect doesn't recycle resources like Manticore does, rather it expends them. Because of this difference I find it unsafe to generalize the effect to such a degree. To do it I could replace it with something along the lines of "until the end of this turn that card's effects cannot be activated", but I'm afraid that would make it less powerful in a lot of situations.

5 minutes ago, Scarman3317 said:

I didn't expect such a positive review, thank you!
I've been wondering, too, actually: it seems just too fitting of an effect (especially its cost) to think that no one at Konami ever thought about it...
Other than that, I can definitely raise the ATK points a bit, even up to 2100. It would become the most powerful level 3 monster in all of Yugioh, which I find rather cool.

But Herald of Perfection's effect doesn't recycle resources like Manticore does, rather it expends them. Because of this difference I find it unsafe to generalize the effect to such a degree. To do it I could replace it with something along the lines of "until the end of this turn that card's effects cannot be activated", but I'm afraid that would make it less powerful in a lot of situations.

It would also mean that you can't respond to effects that have already been activated. If you change the effect to prevent the effect from activating at all, instead of negating an effect that does activate, it's still going to go off, which would set back the crystal beasts by alot. Unless i'm reading this wrong.

16 hours ago, Wildprince15 said:

It would also mean that you can't respond to effects that have already been activated. If you change the effect to prevent the effect from activating at all, instead of negating an effect that does activate, it's still going to go off, which would set back the crystal beasts by alot. Unless i'm reading this wrong.

I'm afraid you read that right. That was what I meant by "a lot less powerful", and that is why I'm not inclined to make that change.

Thank you for specifying.

Edit: I think I just found the middle ground between the original effect and the one proposed by gmaster1991: "also declare 1 card name: until the end of this turn your opponent cannot activate effects from cards with that name."

It doesn't seem too convoluted to me, but what do you think?

Archived